Laptops

Anonymous

I want to get a laptop before school starts, unfortunately I'm not that computer literate. I know the basics of what I'm looking for but I don't know what companies are the best. Are Dells really good computers? What is the best laptop? Is the wireless internet worth the money or is it a lot of trouble?

Bronze Member
Username: Tmf

Vicksburg, MI United State...

Post Number: 14
Well, it all depends on what you want to use it for. Dell makes a great laptop, however their technical support sucks. Buy a good used one or atleast browse through what you might be interested in. If you have the money, buy a brand new Dell, but if you just want a good laptop, I would look for some used ones first. Wireless internet is great, if you have high speed internet, and a wireless network. It can be confusing however if you don't have a clue to what your doing, however, it sure is Awesome being wireless.

Username: Odeh2

Lagos, Nigeria Nigeria

Post Number: 1
my toshiba labtop has a startup problem and can not start my windows,am using windows me and i have even created a startup dik but stil i can not repair mising files i hav misplaced my recovery cd pls what is the solution

Anonymous

Buy a copy of Windows XP and once it's installed, contact Toshiba for any drivers that XP doesn't recognize (if there are any) Toshiba will charge you almost as much to replace your recovery CD>

Anonymous

I have an acer travelmate which i use for school, i have had it for the past few months and have had no problems. They range in price, just see their website for detail (www.acer.com)
I also have wireless and it is a big plus- there are 2 types 802.11g and 801.22b, g is faster but b works fine for me.
Finally, when looking at the spec, try to get at least a 2ghz Processor with minimum of 256mb RAM, so you can run multiple programs at once.
Hope this helps!

Username: Billy374

Hertfordshir...

I am going to link my laptop to a reiver and 5.1 speakers, and i want to get true 5.1 dolby digital sound which i use to watch DVDs (via the DVD Drive). Will i have to get a external usb soundcard to get what i desire!?!

Thanks,
Billy

Username: Peters

Fremont, CA USA

I'm looking for a 15~20W laptop power supply module design schamatics. that's as 20V~24V DC in, 3.3V, 5V, +12V -12V, -5V standard out and PSON# input, PWRGC out logic

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 134
DELL SUCKS, NEVER BUY A DELL. What a proprietary cheap company they are.

Bronze Member
Username: Cruxis

PA USA

Post Number: 27
Dell does not suck. Dell is for people who arn't computer literate and who arnt going to buy every concivable upgrade. Other than that, there fine.

I would suggest Dell if your getting a labtop for school, alienware if your getting one for games. Wireless internet is only worth it if you have cable or DSL.

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
Ha-ha funny cause Dell ALWAYS takes the cheap way out on things. A few local schools who dell had contracts with had over 500 motherboards replaced (my group were some of the technicians). Most of the PCs I get in with Video problems are due to sh!tty Dell LCD Screens and CRTs. Dell is one huge proprietary company and one should not even bother with them. Dell hardware is constantly failing; just one of those companies that if you get a good batch you like them and if the PC you got happens to suck you hate them. I've worked with over a few thousand Dell PCs & servers and I am no where near impressed with the quality of hardware that they put out. They are interested in the mass production of cheap product to sell to customers for cheap prices. Depending on where you live a WNIC can be a HUGE plus. Here in NYC and the NY burbs there are 20+ APs just around the corner... Yes you are right 802.11g IS faster then b; but if your interest is not network transfer rate related you do not gain the benefit of anything over 4 Mbps anyway when dealing with WAN traffic. If you own an 802.11g card awesome! You can use both b and g; if you own an 802.11b you won't notice it unless doing huge network transfers anyway.

Bronze Member

PA USA

Post Number: 32
Hmm... so my entire neighborhood, my family, my friends, and my relatives are the only people getting good Dell PCs. I feel special.

Motherboard problems are common amoung all PCs. My school leases from LAMS and is constanstly replacing parts, including motherboards. Guess why they were replaced. Student error.

Though I have never seen as many dells as you have, I've never had any problems with any of them. Infact, the only PCs I've ever seen to have major problems were Compaqs. For some reason, they just dont seem to age well.

In anycase, I can only offer what my experiences are. Perhaps I'm lucky. Oh well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
Yes I 100% agree there too!!!! Compaq = bad news lololol; that is another one we see a lot!! A motherboard should NOT fail due to anything student error software/firmware related unless they physically mistreat the hardware; they must not be using very good boards...

Bronze Member

PA USA

Post Number: 35
Usually, its because they yank out the PS/2 ports and are to dang lazy to look behind the case to aim. The just reach around and jab. Or, I once saw a kid practically boot one into a wall (it was a under desk tower). Its also not uncommon for someone to enter the bios (why the admin dosnt lock us out is anyones guess. But than again, this is the man who cant keep a damned network upo for more than two days) and diddle with things.

Its all relative I suppose.

Username: Zyepod

GA USA

Post Number: 5
Well I don't know about the person that posted the message but I'm still not clear on a good lap top. I know I can go down to Best B and get a Compaq for several hundred dollers less than a Dell with more power. But will it last? To me brand names don't mean much. It's what's inside and they seem to have the same stuff and Dell is more. So... Are any of them good?

Damien Rob.
Unregistered guest
If you are looking for a cheap laptop that is semi-decent performance wise go with an HP. If you want something that will really last, IBM is where you should be.

Anonymous

i got a new toshiba laptop from a friend oversea but since i have been unable to use it cos the username and password he gave me is still not able to log me on

Username: Marysugarman

I, unfortunately, bought a Dell Latitude D600, and missed the 30 days to return it. I record audio in business offices using an external microphone, and the laptop picks up this annoying electronic buzz. Any suggestions for a fix to this problem? Dell has been of no help at all!

Silver Member

Post Number: 245
Is this a dell mic? What other electric appliances do you have around you?

Post Number: 2
I use a Soundgrabber II mic. I have run tests using about four different microphones and using no microphone. This buzzing sound is only picked up when I am in large office buildings. When I run the tests at my home, the recording sound is perfect. I have an old Inspiron 3700 which does not have this problem. There must be some kind of filter out there that I just don't know about that could alleviate this problem. So far I've called an electronics company, Dell, Guitar Center, and other people in my business.

Silver Member

Post Number: 275
Hmm... Very odd. If it's only in an office building id assume the problem runs along the lines of electronic interference.

Post Number: 3
That's exactly what I've been told, electronic interference. Too bad I'm stuck with the Dell.

nomoreacers
Unregistered guest
Well it appears that I am not the only one so peeved at Acer theyre head spins.
I got my travelmate 1yr and 8 mos ago and always treated it like gold...my second laptop...was my baby.
However there was always an overheating issue with it that acer simply told me that I needed to make sure there was proper ventilation....ok so I put the laptop up on a rack that was wire and was 6 inches up high.
This made typing a challenge but to keep it from getting hot I sufficed convienence over a overheated machine....which consequently still got oven hot....could have baked cookies under that rack below the laptop.
Another call to acer and now I get this "all laptops get hot if left on too long"....um excuse me but a half an hour is too long?
I think not!
I had gotten this laptop through this technical school that included these oh so wonderful acers as part of sighning up.
So I had some ammo.
I called the other students and found that with three people, they had the same issues as I did.
I cannot stress enough how much I think that Acers suck!
One person sold his acer laptop because of its issues of getting too hot and shutting down. The other has sent his in for repairs to the mb because it simply got too hot. The other still has hers but she hardly ever uses it because....you guess it...it gets hot.
I am now looking at a very dead laptop that is just barely 8 months out of warranty and no relief in sight.
I cannot afford to get another and my credit...like acer....sucks so getting one on credit is way out of the question.
I'm smelling a class action lawsuit my friends...if I can muster enough people, I think that its dooable.
email me if you have these issues on your acer laptop at network2004@comcast.net

Anonymous

I've used many brands, multiple models including HP, Compaq, Sony, IBM, Toshiba, Dell, Fujitsu and Sharp. If you plan to own this laptop for more than 3 years, I recommend IBM for the following reasons:
1. Easy upgrade, unlike other brands, you do not need a lot of drivers and special software to upgrade to newer Windows and IBM has excellent support to old models. Recovery is extremely easy, only one click.
2. The best keyboard, large, solid response and the unique IBM typewriterish click.
3. Strong construction, I dropped it on the floor, leave it one for 8 to 10 hours every day, use it in car while driving and never had any problem.
4. The screen is much sharper than Dell, HP, etc. Only Sony VAIO can match.
5. Excellent battery life. I also like Sony VAIO much for it's good look, but Sony battery sucks.
6. Good balance of performance.

IBM is not as nice looking as some other brands. It is designed for business heavy duty usage, so the black and sqaure look is not exactly a head turner.

For school, I recommend model R for it's low price and decent performance. If you can affort to pay a bit higher, model T or X are superstar in their respective class.

Silver Member

Post Number: 367
I work for IBM so I must say that their products are some of the best ;)(heh hope they see this)!

Username: Toymaker

Post Number: 4
hi there... i really need help in this one.. i have a HP pavillion ZX5000 laptop with a wireless lan card integrated.. and a pocket pc HP ipaq 2200. Both of them have bluetooth connection ... well you know i do not know how to connect them to transfer information.. anybody can help in this one... i mean i need how to configure them and make them work correctly

Unregistered guest
Hi. I'm thinking about hooking up a laptop running XP to a subwoofer and speaker system to play music off my laptop as well as internet radio stations. In addition, I'm hoping to hook up an LCD monitor. The idea is to play DVD's through my laptop onto the LCD and have the sound come out of the subwoofer and speaker system. Does anyone have any suggestions or pitfalls to avoid? Will the DVD player on a laptop spit out data fast enough to play a movie smoothly?

Bronze Member
Username: Sony224422

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 24
Kenny, you should have no problems. If you want good surround sound, i'd suggest getting an external usb sound card. Otherwise, you can just hook the sound up to the head phone port on your laptop. As for the dvd player, if your computer can run XP, it can play a dvd. The monitor can connect on the back of your laptop. No problems there.

Anonymous

Can anyone help me? I got a Alpine Stereo and I would like to connect my Laptop to this stereo I got told that sony is a lot better but I would like to keep my alpine if anyone knows the hook ups and/or software that I will need

Unregistered guest
I have a EiSytem 4419 and would like to get hold of service manuals drawings etc - very much appreciated. TIA

Awesome A
Unregistered guest
I would suggest the new 12 apple power book because now they have all microsoft office software mad for a mac. And also they are reliable.

Unregistered guest
Hi, does anybody know whether Dell Inspiron XPS and XPS Gen 2 are good laptops? What about Pentium M processor, has it any considerable advantage over Pentium 4?

Bronze Member

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 81
they should be about the same, however im not sure, i've never used either one of them. As for the processor, they aren't really the same, the M is made to utilize battery better, its like centrino without the wireless intergration. I also believe that they the M isn't just as powerful as a normal pentium, but unless your doing something thats super processor hungry, you won't notice

Anonymous

Actually, the Pentium M is very powerful and overall a much better and more modern processor than the P4. The reason it is not used in desktops is that is's much more expensive.

Silver Member

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 153
it depends on which p4.

Olds
Unregistered guest
I work at a university and see a LOT of laptops. IBM are very tough and ruged laptops. On the other hand they are also a pain in the rear orfice. Dell laptops aren't as good as the desktops, but are much easier to use than the ibms. The only thing that really gets me about IBM laptops is that they have an S-video in, no out. They also will NOT play a dvd through a projector. Desktops will. Dell laptops will. This is the 23xx series. The 22xx series won't either. As long as you don't want to do that it will work great for you.

Unregistered guest
I have sony vaio pcg-k13.does it have an inbuilt microphone? if does have, how do i activate it?

Username: Basu

Post Number: 5
Hey Guys,

I am planning to buy a laptop for home use, the main purpose will be for FUN, but i intend to make home DVD, as i have a camcoder.

So, what should be the specifications for that. if i want best quality DVD making?
How much Ram ( 512 or I Gig), how much RPM for hard disk, how much CPU speed?

appreciatioin in advance,

Basu

Cathy
Unregistered guest
We have a sony vaio PCG F48 laptop with DVD player. It is connected to an Epson Projector. Is it possible to connect the laptop to a sound system already installed in our church? What type of cable/connectors do I need to get the sound connected

Cathy
Unregistered guest
We have a sony vaio PCG F48 laptop with DVD player. It is connected to an Epson Projector. Is it possible to connect the laptop to a sound system already installed in our church? What type of cable/connectors do I need to get the sound connected

Unregistered guest
i am in the market to buy a laptop(for my son's bday) that also will play dvd's so that his 2yr old can be occupied when traveling long car distances. am i better off buying just a dvd player? i heard that they would hold up better for this purpose. sorry,i'm a bit p.c. challenged.thanks for your help!

Unregistered guest
I own a dell inspiron xps. I just purchased it in january. after my bootscreen loads my screen goes blank> this is a new problem> Before my computer was overheating and randomly shutting down after logging in> however i am using the laptop as of right now> this is only possible when i plug the computer into my television> Right now my computer screen is blank> What should I do? how can i cool it down and why cant i use the laptop without my tv?

Silver Member

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 166
you my friend, are in luck. send it into dell and make them fix it. it should be free.

Unregistered guest
Hello. My name is Alex , 15 yrs old. Im pretty smart when it comes to computers, but as of right now, I'm not feeling very smart. My dad has a "Gateway 4000 Series Notebook" laptop. It also has a 802.11 g Wireless Lan and 256 MB DDR Memory. 10/100 Mbps built in ethenet.its also windows XP with SP2. My dad travels alot for work. He's always in his car and every night he always takes me off the computer to do his work on it and write his files and stuff. Well i asked him why he didn't use his laptop and he responded that he wants the internet too but he doesn't know how to use the built in wireless Lan thingie to use as a wireless modem.

Well I've been doing some research all over the web on how to use a wireless modem and how to make it work on his laptop. And I came across this forum. So I want to know if you can answer a couple of questions...

How can i get my dad's laptop connected to the internet using a wireless modem?

Is it true that u have to have cable/DSL internet connection to make it work? because we have aol dial-up.

And any other suggestions , comments, or questions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
-Alex-

Accord
Unregistered guest
well, a few hints from experiance, im not the master here or anything just from what ive seen, gateway pc's are iffy on their reliability, but using an internal card would be the same with an external but there has to be access points or the router itself to connect to. second, yes you can broadcast dial up but i wouldnt be with aol, they have many spyware and adware programs intergrated into their software protocols and subroutines. Do you have a wireless router already?

Username: Betty_boop_2022

Post Number: 2
hi can sum1 please put that in2 simple terms 4 me as i am due 2 go 2 uni and have a nu laptop wiv Wireless Lan and dont av a clue wot it is really im used 2 a desktop so dont get it.Wot will i need 2 get it 2 work once im there all i no is my halls have broadband internet thats it tho, will my wireless thing work?

Beth x
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us