Don't buy Sony - Sony SUCKS

Username: Bigicebear

Post Number: 2
I've had a Sony Vaio for about 3 years. Yeah, it sucks, but it ran Windows XP somewhat decent, until it recently had the hard drive melt down. - I have data backed up - not too big a deal. I put in new hard drive, and realized that the discs they had sent with the computer don't actually have Windows XP on it. Not to worry, I can get or at least buy a restore set for my model at a modest price (I'm thinking $20-$30.)

I call Sony and inquire about it, here's the meat of the conversation:

....(sony)"That restore CD has been discontinued, Sir" (me)"WHAT? " (sony)"That restore CD has been discontinued, Sir, but our service department can re-image your hard drive for you [insert $$$] or you might be able to find one on eBay." (me)"I heard you the first time, I just can't believe you've discontinued support for a product that's 3 years old." (sony)"that product is 4 years old, sir" (me)"So you're telling me that I either have to buy a new Windows XP license & disc, or pay you to image it for me?" (sony)"that's correct, Sir" (me)"stop calling me Sir, and just refer to me like the 'a$$hole customer' that I apparently am to you and Sony" (sony)"excuse me, Sir?" (me)"ah, you and your worthless company can $#$&-off" [click]

I loaded Windows 2000, which I have a license and disc for, but Sony provides no drivers that will load for Windows 2000 - I'm screwed.

So, don't expect any support if you buy Sony. This VAIO may go in the trash with my Sony Digicam that would have cost me $2 more to repair then buy a new one.

Add that to the top of the pile of WHY SONY SUCKS (if you can reach the top)

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8755
Get a MAC :-)

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3464
That's surprising...they usually carry older laptop restore discs from my experience.

What kind of laptop is it? I would hate to see you throw it away, is there a price you want for it?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3465
Laptop...desktop...whatever it is lol

Silver Member
Username: Stnorris

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 915
lol jexx is gunna buy it.

sonys products are getting worse and worse, in every department, as time goes on.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3496
In my opinion, their high price is just for the design. And yet their parts are still outrageously expensive.

Bronze Member
Username: Ftalife

Post Number: 20
I got a sony and it works great.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3745
How long have you had it? What model is it?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2913
Most Sony products are over priced and unreliable. Performance isn't very good for the price.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9164
So, David tell us about your experience with Sony. How much Sony products did you use before coming to this conclusion?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2923
I work on electronics. I've seen plenty. I've seen Sony's poor designs, over priced parts, unreliability.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9183
So you have job security, you should be happy.

Username: Mamta

Worthing, West SussexU.K.

Post Number: 1
Never buy a Sony product.

I bought Sony W800i. The phone soon developed a problem of switching off on its own. And worst part is the Sony can't repair its phone. I sent the phone thrice to their repair center but nothing happened. They kept the phone for as long as one month without informing me about status.
In short sony can't support its product & have impolite & quarrelsome staff to deal with customers.

NEVER BUY ANY SONY PRODUCTS.

Bronze Member
Username: Sqman

Midhurst, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 26
i agree...from plenty of experience i might add...from cordless phones to car stereo's...they seem to brake down a little too offen.....

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Doncaster, South Yorkshire England

Post Number: 336
Sony tvs are good I guess. We've got a 32" one and its always been good. My sony ericsson k610i phone is also good, its never crashed or lagged once unlike my previous phones from sagem!
But other than that, I'd have to agree GENERALLY product ranges are a bit naff. You'll get the odd good product.

Gold Member
Username: Wolfman1966

WEST MONROE , LOUISIANA USA

Post Number: 1392
as far as Sony TV's go, I have a 13 inch Sony Trinitron model KV-1396R. I got this tv for free, and when I got it hooked up to cable, everything worked fine but it didn't have all the channels programmed into it...I looked all over the internet for a manual, and finally had to call Sony. they e-mailed me a manual, and I found out I had to have a remote to program it (no big deal since the tv was free). I bought a Sony remote for $10, put the batteries in it and bang! the remote worked for the tv without having to program it or anything. The tv gets a great picture...better than the one on my newer 27 inch tv....and here's the kicker....after doing all the research on the internet, and finally calling Sony...I found out the little tv was made in 1985...so it is 21years old, still working great, and has the best picture I have seen on a regular tv in a long time. Oh, and just a side note, i guess since i used Sony customer service, my name must have been put on a mailing list....I have recieved about 3 or 4 offers saying that the warranty on the TV is about to expire and they will sell me a 3 year extended warranty for about $100....lol...so it would be a 24 year old tv before the new warranty ran out...ha ha ha

Silver Member

Post Number: 344
lol! nice little story there. I have to say though, this thread is damn lame 'never buy a sony' is a simple as crap thing to say. That's like saying, 'never buy a ford'-justify your damn reason PROPERLY. I just felt a little annoyed at this, yes Sony do make some shoddy stuff but they're not a crap company or how would they so rich.
You saying never to buy a ps3? lol best think about stuff like that before anyone thinks about posting a thread about their misfortune of one product that you should have found out about before buying it.
btw, Ferraris suck!! (oo oo attention)

Post Number: 3
J Jarvis,

If you would have taken time to read where this was posted - you may have noticed that it is in the Desktop forum. So obviously it was primarily a reference to a Sony Desktop and how they handle things like this, yes they do suck. I wasn't talking about a PS3, retard. So get off your self righteous high horse and go post on Myspace or some other site where people make comments like yours: off base; and feel free to go out and purchase that Sony Viao - which this post was about, dork.

Silver Member

Post Number: 347
And Big icebear. I did take the time to read this. Did you? The comments from Mamta and Nick will backup my last post.
Truth is, I hate myspace. Infact I cant stand the place. Not only this but it shows just how much you know about myspace considering its not a flipping forum. Its imo a colourful e-mail system thats is open for public viewing full of sad acts with no lifes trying to make themselves think they have friends.
Nice to know your a new member to this forum and starting off well. And I wasnt actually talking to you if you might have realised. Infact I'd quite agree Sony laptops do suck.

Love from me, the retarded, self righteous high horse, emofag dork from myspace who wishes he had a Sony Viao for xmas.

Username: Caligrrl

California

I apologize that my post is so outdated in comparison with the last post on this thread (and so long-winded), but I just found this board after angrily searching "Sony sucks", in a few search engines. I agree with the users that are sick of Sony's poor quality and customer service. I too have a Vaio that took a swan dive (if Sony can find a way to void your warranty, they will)after about a year and a half. If I may veer off topic a bit, I know that this is a computer thread, but I agree with the other posts discussing the downhill spiral that most Sony products seem to have taken. There was a time (it seems like it wasn't that long ago) when it was worth paying the extra money for a quality Sony product (although it isn't exclusively Sony that has gone downhill). Every Sony product I have purchased has broken down within approximately one year (which is why these companies attempt to extort your money with an expensive extended warranty these days); my camcorder, dvd recorder, Vaio, and tv (I must admit, it was a projection tv, but it still needed work within about one year of purchase); all Sony, all broken down around the one year mark. The one Sony item that I have never had problems with is my PS2. Every time I have had to call Sony's customer service, it appears that Sony does everything it can to make the customer service experience an unpleasant one; but when your extended warranty comes within 6 months of expiring, well, they just can't seem to communicate enough with you; they send several "warnings" that your warranty is about to expire... No problem! Just send 'em more money, and you'll have that "piece of mind" that comes with knowing that you are *protected*.. Nice..

Silver Member
Username: Appzalien

Cleveland, Ohio US of A

Post Number: 139
Heather Little, I'm like you, at one time I thought Sony was the cream of the crop. But that was a time when Japan was competing with the US for our money and they did a darn good job of it. Recently though they have fallen into the same trap that ruined most american companies, GREED!

Now there is China taking the place that Japan held after world war two. Cheaper products but just like japan cheaper will also get better quality over time and then China will become democratic, fall into the same trap and it will start all over again.

I lost all trust in Sony when they played the rootkit trick on evrybody and several other things just as ruthless and customer thumping. I would take disks I made to my moms house and guess what her Sony dvd player would not play them, all other players did. There's Sony again deciding that I can't play a disk I made myself because it might be an illegal copy of one of their crap movies.

Now I don't give Sony a penny and I spread the word "don't buy sony, sony sucks". And everytime I change someones mind who was going to buy sony or each time I download an illegal copy of one of their crap movies, I thumb my nose at them and will to the day I die (or go to jail for downloading illegal movies).

Username: Ssp2979

Post Number: 3
I may as well weigh in here since this post was dragged out of the archive. I have documented my experience thus far on this page (language warning!):

Despite the fact that I avoid the purchase and use of their products whenever possible, I am sure I will continue to add the content on that page.

Username: Mudtel

Never never buy sony. I bought a vaio z1ra in 2004. SOny never upgrade or update its BIOS since the laptop release. Z1 series laptop does not support hard disk size of more than 128GB. Please do not buy 160GB for upgrade.

Shame on SONY!! buyers beware. They never update their bios.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15868
Next time buy a Mac :-)

Username: Mudtel

To add, that moneysucker sony really doesnt allow Hotkey utility and others to be downloaded online for the Vaio Z1 and TR series. And not even once they updated their bios. Still not supporting 48-Bit LBA - for HDD larger than 120GB.

If you lost your application recovery CD, good bless you man!

Laptop utilities software are not licensed Operating Systems for god sake. And they cant be used on other laptops. Why dont let users download online?

I will not give sony a single cent anymore!

Username: Milty99

I agree that Sony SUCKS! I bought a Sony Vaio laptop and it started crapping out 13 months after I got it. Since the warranty was only for 1 year, Sony wanted big bucks to fix it. I can (and will) buy a new laptop for less than what Sony wants to repair their piece of %$#&.

I have owned a few Sony products in the past, but I will never own another one.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8873
Good job bring back a thread that was dead 5 months ago. Ugh. I will agree though that Sony computers do suck, my aunt has had 2 of them but what do you expect from a store bought machine? If you actually learned how to build a rig you'd be much better off and save a ton of money in the process.

Post Number: 4
@ Th3pwn3r - Good going on paying attention - Milton said he has a laptop, not likely to need your advice of "..learn(sic) how to build a rig.." with a laptop.

And this thread will never die as long as Sony sucks = guaranteed immortality & relevance for the thread!

@Milton - we share your pain. Good luck with your next purchase (I've had good luck with my ACER 17" wide laptop, and it cost about 1/2 as much as a comparable Sony). - bigicebear

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8874
@Big Icebear, how about you read the original post in this thread. By the way...most issues with computers in general are from inexperienced users.

Post Number: 5
@ Th3pwn3r - I read the original post in this thread when I posted it.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8876
Then my post should have made perfect sense.

Post Number: 6
That Suckage sound you hear? Another Sony kicks an unsuspecting consumer's butt:

My son's friend bought a Sony Video camera during a 4th of July sale. It stopped working the other day - about 5 weeks past the paltry 90 day warranty on labor - 1 year on parts. The parts are free, but the labor estimate puts the repair price almost $30 plus shipping over the cost to purchase another camera!

How can they continue to make such garbage? We must get the word out to people to not buy Sony, or at least buy an extended free replacement store warranty - you're GOING to need it.

Bronze Member
Username: Flyingleaf

Post Number: 34
I don't like sony, they are always overpriced.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8970
Just wait until Sony has the complete lock on disc drives and disc formats. It's already close to being that way. Soon you guys will have no other choice but to buy from Sony. I've had my share of problems with Sony products going all the way back to when I was I believe 11 years old when I got the first edition Playstation, it fried and I damn near cried, oh well. Anyhow, I'd love to see you guys produce millions or even billions of products without having one go bad here and there, it's impossible. Are you guys going to boycott Microsoft as well? Their operating systems have many issues and their gaming consoles are even more known for failure. I remember when I would hear about people's old tube televisions going out, uh oh, better boycott those manufacturers as well. My point is there's always going to be issues with any product from any company, it's just a matter of time before any electronic you buy from any manufacturer decides to give up on you.

Post Number: 7
Th3pwn3r said
"I remember when I would hear about people's old tube televisions going out, uh oh, better boycott those manufacturers as well"

This rant started about how a company - Sony in this case - does business and treats it's own customers with poor support and poor customer service , NOT that a certain percentage of 'anything' fails sooner than later. I am in the service sector and know that electronics products typically have 2-5% failure rate. Sometimes that rate exceeds 10% and can approach 15%-20%, that's when you hear horror stories about a particular product or model. AGAIN, this is not about that.

This thread is about Sony seemingly not giving a rat's-a$s about customer service.

And no, I'm not going to boycott Microsoft - I make a living off their "many issues".

Username: Clikrf8

Bellingham, WA USA

sony sucks.
No caps for this crap company.
I bought my daughter a sony vaio model # VGNN150G on 12/06.
It worked for less than a year then hard drive crashed. Since it was still under warranty, we called sony and a repair person came to our house to install another one.
Hard drive crashed again less than 3 months later (90 day warranty on repairs).
Daughter called and they said, according to her that she needed to send it in. As she is somewhat spineless, she didn't tell me this but that there was nothing they could do.
Finally, I called after I had a geek friend check it out. His report (and I can trust the son of my best friend) was that the hard drive was loose (missing screws rattling around inside) and that it was just shoved in there.
When I told sony this during my call, they said that since an unauthorized person opened it there was nothing they could do except I could send it in at my expense and pay for them to repair it.
It was essentially unrepairable so my friend's son used a flash drive and downloaded linux and it runs now with a 16gb flash drive but not the 80 that it came with.
sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks sony sucks

Bronze Member
Username: 3dges

Compton

Post Number: 98
Sony is now going in debt.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8991
"When I told sony this during my call, they said that since an unauthorized person opened it there was nothing they could do except I could send it in at my expense and pay for them to repair it.
It was essentially unrepairable so my friend's son used a flash drive and downloaded linux and it runs now with a 16gb flash drive but not the 80 that it came with."

Big mistake tampering with it. I'm with Sony on that one, I wouldn't want to touch a hack job that someone else has fiddled with.

Username: Timlbaldwin

Nailsea, BRISTOLUK

I've just spent an entire morning arguing with Sony UK Repair centre about my month old Vaio which has just stopped (no green power LED, even).
When I returned it to Sony they opened it up and claimed that it showed signs of liquid damage and was therefore out of warrranty. If it is damaged, I am certain it didn't happen while it was in my possession but I don't seem to be able to do anything about it and am now faced with replacing an almost brand new laptop because of Sony's determination to wriggle out of its warranty obligations.
So - DON'T BUY SONY THEIR SERVICE SUCKS

Gold Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 8061
Sony is the worst cie on the market and very low value for the price with false spec.

We are very far of first transistorized TV.

This cie copy other and put worst product on market.

Stay away from this brand.

My opinion

Username: Tradestead123

I got a sony walkman and a sony digital camera many years ago and they all work great until now.

Username: Peter_benders

Sandiego, CA US

Post Number: 6
sony is good in only some of its products.. its walkman player and dvd writer for pc are good the mobile phones are surely not good but my mobile,a w660i is very good .. until now

Username: Eatisa

Post Number: 5
Recently update to Sony Vaio VGN-Z37GD/X. it has been performing okay so far. cant seem any reason why anybody should hate the complete range of products from a single company. he might have had a Bad experience, but really cant blame a company that hasd been sitting at the top for so long!

Post Number: 8
@ Lisa -

It's really about the company and how they don't give a rat's rear for the customer once you've bought the product - not 1 bad experience with Sony but many. So I hate the company, not necessarily ALL their products. That being said, I have not and will not buy another Sony product.

Username: Joe_consumer

Did you folks know that Sony LCD TVs are actually made with either Sharp or Samsung LCD panels. I found this out when my Sony KDL46V3000 LCD TV panel failed less than a year out of warranty. I checked to see if just replacing the TCON pcb at about $49, would fix the single vertical red line problem in the middle of my display. I noted the part number for both the TCON pcb and the LCD panel was a Samsung part number. It turns out they must be replaced together, and the LCD panel costs more than the TV is worth.

I paid a premium for the Sony brand name believing it to be more durable than Samsung or Sharp. Therefore it would seem the smarter purchase for this Joe consumer would have been to buy lower price brand models and use the Sony premium difference to pay for the extended warranty. It turns out there is a pretty high failure rate in LCD panels, and they are not repairable.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100528202127AA5hSbn

Silver Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 579
I have to say, I've had numerous Sony products that lasted years and years. No problems at all. I have a Sony TV and VCR that are both 9 yrs old and work lile brand new. They have been heavily used too. I never had Sony computers, but I find it hard to believe they're that bad.

Username: Philbags

My wife has had a Sony Vaio for over 5 years. No problems but it has always been v. Slow. I think this is largely because of all the third party software sony adds to each laptop. I've got an HP laptop and that has broken several times in the last two years. If I were to replace it now, I would probably go for a Toshiba or Samsung

Gold Member
Username: Doreenakadj

Canada

Post Number: 5787
this is a funny video about sony
I couldn't find this on youtube or any other place.... I got this in my email from a friend and thought I would share it with you all ... I have uplaoded it on the h0tfiles site for you to download. It's just over 5mb long... if you hate SONY products then this is worth watching.

Upload
Happy holidays everyone
please don't drink and drive

http://hot*file.com/dl/90891087/dbff1a1/Sony-1.wmv.html please remove the ( * )between the hot file.com

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16354
hmm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts