Power on password

Unregistered guest
I have a compaq despro.When turned on it's asking for a power on password which I cannot remember because I haven't used it for a while.How can I fix this problem?

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 215
[First: Unplug your PC and disconnect all other hardware devices from the back. When working with a PC board/components always ground yourself by touching something metal with both hands prior to discharge any static electricity.]

On the motherboard close to the CMOS battery there will be a BIOS jumper. This jumper usually is colored dif. from all the rest and is labeled commonly (but not always) "J4". The CMOS jumper usually is a 3 pin lead setup and normal operating mode most of the time is with the jumper on pin 1 & 2. If this jumper is on the first and second pin you are going to then move it to the second and third pins and let it sit for about 30 seconds (or place it on pins 1 & 2 if it originally resides on 2 & 3). Once you have done that you will then replace the jumper back as you found it and reconnect all your input/output devices. Power on your computer, boot into BIOS, and use auto detect for your hardware specs. Most of the time you wont have to touch anything setting wise in the BIOS (if its good firmware it detects everything by itself).

Bronze Member
Username: Bruiser_bob

Post Number: 11
Are u sure this guy is willing to open up his pc.

Unregistered guest
I have forgotten the password to access my IBM Think Pad A21m and now I can't get into it. Can anyone help me pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee
Regards

laptop123
Unregistered guest
i have same problem with Compaq Armada 1592DT laptop. does this jumper trick works with laptop?

Unregistered guest
please i wanted to ask if i could get a software that can break my power on password

Silver Member
Username: G3nocd3

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 262
lol nothing you can do bro, resetting cmos will not delete the password. All i say is tough. Dont forget your pw next time. Lol and laptop 123 , do you even know what a jumper is. I wouldnt touch a thing on your laptop if you dont. Now if you do good luck finding it on your laptop. it could be anywhere, all depends on the maker/model

Putters
Unregistered guest
Actually there is a way of fixing this problem.

Open the case, take the jumper off pin 1 and place them onto the "CMOS RAM Clear" pins. Boot the PC. It will automatically go into the CMOS. Just click save settings and turn PC off.

Then put the jumper back onto the original pin setting and boot the PC. It may go back into the CMOS to confirm what you've done. Just save and exit again.

It will not ask for a password again.

Putters
Unregistered guest
Actually there is a way of fixing this problem.

Open the case, take the jumper off pin 1 and place them onto the "CMOS RAM Clear" pins. Boot the PC. It will automatically go into the CMOS. Just click save settings and turn PC off.

Then put the jumper back onto the original pin setting and boot the PC. It may go back into the CMOS to confirm what you've done. Just save and exit again.

It will not ask for a password again.

Username: Lacman

India

Post Number: 10
To reset Power on password in Compaq Armada 1592DT perform the following steps:

1. Disconnect power to the laptop and switch it off.
2. Disassemble the laptop.
3. On the motherboard you will find RTC/CMOS battery similar to the cell that we use in our wrist watch, but of a bigger size.
4. Remove that battery and put it back after 10 seconds.

Now power up the laptop and the password should have got reset.

Bronze Member
Username: Rowlandbrown

Post Number: 15
Lacman I really don't think you should be advising noobi's to take their laptop apart. This not only voids the warrantee but is also not very easy and can be rather dangerous. Putters advice on the other hand is excellent.

Unregistered guest
i have a hp compaq desktop. and need to keep power on password. if anybody know how to keep please help me

Bronze Member
Username: Lacman

India

Post Number: 16
MsrKrishna,

May I know the exact model of the Compaq computer?

However I am providing you a Compaq web site which should provide information on the Compaq BIOS menus:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&lang=en&cc=us&product=441197&d lc=en&docname=bph07110

Regards
Lacman

ibm rocs?
Unregistered guest
i also a troulbe powerup password tried everything spent upteen hours on net, nothing. shot it with 20 gadge shotgun. it does not ask for password anymore.

Username: Cato

Post Number: 1
I have a presario 1500 laptop, I bought it online, and when I got it, it had a bios password, or rather a "power-on password" (same diff). I am pretty technically savvy (majoring in electrical engineering at the moment).

anyway, before I start rooting around, I would like to know if it was possible to use dipswitches/jumpers to reset the bios setting, or if I will have to install a new security chip.

Username: Rotordoc

Post Number: 1
If anyone is still having problems with this, I found a site with the perfect step by step solution. here it is. http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId= 579670&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=96222
You guys are right about removing the CMOS battery but you left out 1 important step. Plug back in the AC cord with the CMOS battery still removed. It will power itself back on giving you the option to hit F1 to save changes. During reboot, plug the CMOS battery back in and you're all set, no more power on password.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us