Camcorder to PC.. which format is better PAL or NTSC

I intend to buy a Di8 Camcorder so that I can transfer what ever I shoot to DVD recordable format. It that possible with a Di8? also which format is more convienient NTSC/PAL.

Sathish Devaraj
Firstly it would be better to ask yourself why you want a Di8 camcorder. I would assume that you have a lot of legacy Hi8 tapes that you want to use with your Di8 CC. But if you do not have a vast Hi8 tape collection, going for a miniDV CC is a better bet. The prices for these products have really dropped. Some of the good beginners models are Canon ZR-65MC, 70MC, Sony DCR-TRV19 (with a Carl Zeiss lens!!), Sharp VL-Z5U, Panasonic PV-DV103 - all under $500

On PAL or NTSC, it depends where you want to use the camera more with respect to attaching it to a TV or camcorder. If you are in USA, then you are better off buying NTSC camcorder (all regular shops, Fry's, Circuity city, bestbuy, target etc, sell only NTSC versions). But if you want to take it abroad to Europe or Asia and want to use it with the TVs or VCRs there, PAL is the option. You can get these outside USa or from the grey markets here. Some online merchants too carry them. But then it is your risk ordering from them.

As far as coverting a miniDV to VCD or DVD using a PC goes, NTSC or PAL doesn't make a difference as your editing software will provide you the option of saving it to any format you want. You can then burn this as a VCD or DVD.

But out of my personal experience of using an NTSC camcorder and then trying to convert the recording into PAL DVD / VCD, I found that the picture slows down or move in frames. I am still trying to fiddle with the software to make some adjustments to get a stable PAL picture. This might be the limitation of the Software I am using (Ulead Version 7) I welcome some suggestion from other members on this.

PAL ROCKS
PAL is the best

Unregistered guest
I am using TRV-19, iLink(USB), P4 2.4gh HT and ImageMixture for converting MinDV tapes into VCD format but the problem is the Video quality is very poor. When I play the same cassette directly connecting to TV quality is very good. Please somebody tell me how to get the good quality VCD from my TRV-19 camcorder. Do I need to purchase new Hardware and software?

Jey
Unregistered guest
I think that probably the reason is that you try to put a lot in vcd disc. in another words the bigger movie, the worst quality. still from my experience with divx movies, i can say that vcd format is worse than dvd. i assume that you don't have dvd recorder. i think that dvd hardvare could improve results. about software, i have never heard about imagemixture and even search didn't returned many results

Vikas
Unregistered guest
The software here is Imagemixer and it is provided by Sony with the camcorder. Possible problem in getting the poor quality is that you may be connecting the Camcorder to USB 1.0 or USB 1.1 port which is typically slow. It is recommended to connect the camera on USB 2.0 for faster data transfer rates. I an using this combination and will not complain on picture quality.

Rishi
Unregistered guest
I've Sony DCRTRV 38 Camcorder. I can play it onto TV with NTSC format. Shall I be able to play it in the same way in a PAL formatted TV?

Username: Srinivas_maktal

Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh INDIA

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I have bought in USA a Mini DV camcorder and a FIRE WIRE ( Dazzle DV )card from Pinnacle systems for transferring the camcoder recorded output to PC and then to a CD. The fire wire card specifies that the PC must have a Direct X compatible video and sound cards.

I am not sure if my PC has them. My question is ..will the inbuilt sound and video features of the processor chip( Intel 815E ) and the mother board not meet this requirements of Direct X card? Is it required to buy again a Direct X card ?.Without the Direct X card can I not transfer the camcorder out put to PC ?. The camcorder is bought in USA. Will NTSC and PAL aspects pose any problem when I use the camcorder and Fire wire in India?

Can any one answer this query?

Srinivas

Username: Doggy

Hi,
I'm new here. Could anyone help me with my problem?
I have a JVC GR-DVX78A camcorder with i-Link port. I want to transfer my video into VCD. Today I just bought an IEEE1394 4pin-4pin cable. No matter how hard I tried, my notebook simply does not recognise the device. My notebook is a BENQ Joybook 8100 with 1394 ports.
Anyone could tell me why?

Many thanks

Doggy

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1639
you have to make sure that the port is activated and you have the drivers for it.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Berny.
In my Device Manager the IEEE1394 Host Controller shows "enabled" and "working properly". Under "network adaptors" the "1394 net adaptor" is also "enbled" and "working properly". Do both mean the port is already being "Activated"? The drivers are for 1394 or camcorder?
Could you teach me how?

Regards,

Doggy

Gold Member

Post Number: 1648
did you install the software for the JVC?

Post Number: 3
Yes I did. However to my knowledge it's only for transfering still image on the MMC through USB port. There are some brief info about how to make connection through 1394 port, but no explanation found in the manual about how to set up and activate it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1650
The USB port will only transfer still images.
Remove any other connections and don't use the USB. Attach the 1394 to the input while the JVC is off. Turn on the camcorder after everything is hooked up. If it works the computer should start recognizing the device.
try that out first.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1651
the JVC should have a DVI output, use that to connect the 1394 to your computer.

Unregistered guest
I have a miniDV camcorder but i cannot transfer my minidv directly to the pc.
I decided to buy a ieee 1394 pc card for my computer but i am not sure if it work well or not
my camcorder has a DV socket
and am i needed any software to use it
thank you

dez
Unregistered guest
new here... ive got an old camcorder, used full sized vhs tapes... in order to save the memories, is it possible to connect my vcr to the new camera, and record right from the old vhs tapes? Then could they be uploaded to my pc for burning on a dvd? Ive got a dell 8400 with movie software, but no firewire, only usb ports... need a new video capture card also?

Aba
Unregistered guest
Im looking for scrapped "mother board" in working order for CCDTRV11E. If anybody has any ideas please dont hasitate to write
thank you

Aba
Unregistered guest
Dear dez
the best possible way is tobuy a vcr/dvd combo. Once you recorded over to dvd you are in digital waters...

Username: Praveenpradhan

Gangtok, Sikkim India

Hi! I have recenttly bought a Sony DCR HC14 MiniDv camera. I want to download the entire recording to my HDD so that I can do some editing and then make VCD or DVD of it. Right now I am having USB straeming only and no iLink feature in my Computer. Do I have to buy a iLink card for my PC or is it possible to download the entire tape using the USB?? Suggest which hardware is good.

Unregistered guest
HI ,
I just got a Sony DV handycam HC-18E and i have a fire wire card already installed in my pc. But the streaming with winmedia only allows me to record footage when connected to the pc and not to put the recorded onto my hard drive ...
Do i need a special program or something ?
Please help, it was a wonderful gift i only i could use it ...

thanks

Unregistered guest
i have ds-60 of panasonic camcoder i want to connected my camcoder to laptop via DV conection
what can i do can i bye any new thing

Unregistered guest
Hi, I have a Sony HI8 camcorder which has a USB link to my PC. Using Pinnacle Studio, I am transferring video to the PC. However, the resolution is really bad. Their is no way I'll be able to edit this and then burn to DVD. Anyone know why? The video plays fine, but very small. How can I go about transferring it at DVD quality? Its 1 hour 13 minutes long. Thanks.

Murno1
Unregistered guest
I also have a similar question. I have a Sony Hi8 camcorder and I'd like to edit movies using Pinnacle software with a firewire attachment (which says DV output) and then burn it to DVD. Is this possible to do with 160 GB of Hard Drive? Also, I have a DVD Rom player with a CD burner. Would I replace the DVD Rom player with a DVD burner or replace the CD burner with a DVD burner. I want to keep burning CDs.

saleem
Unregistered guest
i have a n.t.s.c.8mm cassette,how i can record it to pal system in any v.c.r?write now when i try to record iam getting black and white or some times full greenish picture.

Username: Ecss

Holmes, NY Usa

Hi i have a sony di8 i got for christmas, all i want to do is download small clips and upload them to my website, so i need to download to my harddrive, but when i use there (picture package software) the only way i can download to my harddrive is with no audio (only music), so does anyone know of any software out there pref. freeware/shareware but willing to buy for it, if needed so i can download i guess (streaming video??) they call it
thanks
John

KLN
Unregistered guest
I have a JVC camcorder and was successful installing the dazzle DV Clip --it includes a firewire and card. I was able to connect my camcorder immediately and transfer footage easily. I would be interested in taking old VHS tapes and connecting to my 8400 Dell. Anyone know what I need for connection.

Kelly

Unregistered guest
I have purchased Canon miniDV ZR85 which is NTSC compatable. Can I plug it to TV back in Asia which is NTSC/PAL compatable?
How I can convert miDV to VCD format?
Can I use CD burner & Pinnacle software for copying miniDV to VCD format?

Anonymous

My Dad has given me our old home projector movies done in the 1950's - 60's to refurbish. He had edited the film many years ago using regular tape that has now become brittle.
Any suggestions on how to get this format to DVD?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2379
Anonymous,
That is a specialized field. There are folks that transfer film to digitized format.

JonnyLouisville
Unregistered guest
I have a canon mini dv camcorder

I bought a IE1394 cable with a firewire card
My p.c recognises the device, when i went to record my dv tapes onto my p.c it said that i neede to 'configure' my camcorder(wont display the video, screen is blank). I am using an american p.c and my canon camcorder is PAL. Does NTSC and PAL affect this? or am i just using the wrong software (windows movie maker).

JonnyLouisville
Unregistered guest

My p.c recognises the device, when i went to record my dv tapes onto my p.c it said that i neede to 'configure' my camcorder(wont display the video, screen is blank). I am using an american p.c and my canon camcorder is PAL. Does NTSC and PAL affect this? or am i just using the wrong software (windows movie maker).

JonnyLouisville
Unregistered guest

Anonymous

Try rhomemvtransfer.com for your old films
to dvd.

Bronze Member
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 17
JonnyLouisville,

Your PC should be agnostic about PAL versus NTSC (even though most of the civilised world recognises that PAL is the far superior standard). It's possible that your software may need to be set to input one standard or the other. Furthermore, Win98 (which I doubt you are using) actually required a patch to make PAL work.

This is maybe a stupid question, but are you sure the camera is set to the right mode? You probably want the camera set to "playback" to record onto the PC.

Another thing you could try is downloading another capture package such as Ulead Video Studio.

Hope this helps.

Unregistered guest
Have a dell desktop and a sony handycam Di8. I am trying to copy my movies to pc but does not do it. I have tried nero and other software but to no avail. It does not show that my camcorder is even plugged in. I only have USB ports on my computer, no firewire ports. Is this still possible and how do I do it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Leah Ann, I suspect that you may not have listed the full model number, but from what I can see, I suspect that your camera is not digital (i.e. it is not DV format). That being so, you can still capture video, but you will need a TV/capture card such as those from Leadtek. A quite low-end card should be suitable for the purpose.

Your PC will probably need to be reasonably new to capture with good quality (i.e. not losing frames) and the ultimate quality in any case will be significantly worse than using DV.

If your camera IS digital, by which I mean DV compliant, then just buy a firewire PCI card and everything should be quite easy.

Hope that helps.

Unregistered guest
What is the best software for Coverting/Capturing from DV Camcorder to VCD or DVD?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Manish, for capture I normally use Ulead VideoStudio or MGI/Roxio Videowave, but most people think that it is worth spending a bit extra to get the Pinnacle product. Going the other way, Movie Maker 2 is available foc to XP users.

For VCD authoring, I use Nero Vision Express. For DVD authoring I use Ulead MovieFactory. Both work fine.

Hope that helps.

Unregistered guest
Hi, I have recently got a used Canon hi8 camcorder, ES6500V. I would like to seek advice as to how to transfer AV output or S-video output from this Camcorder to my PC ? What additional cards / cadgets should my pc ( a pretty standard business PC) have ?
thanks in anticipation,
Gowri

Nadir
Unregistered guest
Hi,
I am using Pinnacle Studio ver 9.3 purchased in US . Now I am using the same software in India. I captured video from DV Camcorder but when I open the file for editing in same software, Its giving me the error " PAL is not enabled" . Later I came to know that software bought in US are NTSC compatible and not PAL. Now anybody can help me how do I changed this to PAL format or how do it change my software to work with PAL format. I tried to change the Capture Settings but it is not possible because it not highlighted to change.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Gowrisankar, you need a TV/analogue capture card such as those made by Leadtek. Post again if you need further help.

Nadir, that sounds tricky to solve. Maybe you should keep your eyes open for a free copy of Ulead VideoStudio on the cover of a PC magazine if you want to avoid spending further $$. Either that or arrange a hardware or software conversion to NTSC - but that is normally a short-cut to heartbreak.

Nadir
Unregistered guest
Hi Gromit,
I have tried Ulead Studio 6 but this software hangs as soon as its capture the first image of the video from my camcorder. thats why I bought Pinnacle Studio. any other suggestions.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Nadir, I just tried connecting a PAL camera to Ulead VideoStudio 6 (SE) and it worked fine. No need to specify "PAL" or anything like that. What OS are you using?

Cheers.

Username: Sinziandre

Hello!
I would like to buy a Sony DCR-DVD201 camcorder from Europe ( I actally leave there). So the system will be PAL. But, next year I'll move in Canada. There I'll need a system NTSC. Could you tell me:
1. Could a find a DVD ( not mini-DVD)camcorder with both system registration : PAL and NTSC?
2. If not, you consider that is a good idea to buy also a video converter, like CMD-1200?
Thanks!
Sinzi

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Sinziandre, I am not aware of any domestic (i.e. non-professional) camcorders that support both PAL and NTSC. If they exist, they would probably be very expensive.

A video converter will probably meet your requirements. But a more elegant solution might be to equip yourself with a TV that is DUAL standard, i.e. plays back both PAL and NTSC in native format. I have such a TV and it works really well in both modes. Conversion inevitably introduces some artifacts into the picture.

Hope that helps.

Unregistered guest
i have a sony trv480 handycam. i am unable to download the still photograph store in the memory stick (256mb).when ever i try to download using picture package 1.0 it asks me to select the sorce which is blank.kindly let know how can i download the still photographs.

do i need image mixture software to download or picture package will do the job.

if you have imagemixture 1.0 kindly post on my mail account.

Unregistered guest
I used a Camcoder Hi8 ccd-trv21 for a recording,then attached it to TV to transfer into VHS,but the output gave me black and white, what can I do to get my output in full color.

fajani
Unregistered guest
I use CCD-TRV21, which port will I connect to on the camcoder to transfer data to my PC

Unregistered guest
I am planning to buy a camcorder (Handycam) for me. As I dont know anything about Camcorder or Handycam so I thought that perhaps someone here can help me buy a new, good and suitable camcorder for me.

I have some confusions related to the product and so need advise:

1)I was planning to buy a DVD format camcorder but came to know that they have lots of problems like:
They are VERY difficult to connect to the pc, have a low graded software, and lot of DVD ROMs dont support the recorded format. And the recorded video can not be edited with the camcorder. Are these correct? Please advise.

2)If I go for the Memorystick system camcorders then will I have the above mentioned problems? what is their storage capacity.And how many JPG format stills can i store.

3)Do i need any via medium (other than an USB cable) to connect the camcorder with the computer(Pentium 4)?

4)Which model is the best?

I live in Bangladesh(Asia)and dont have any VCR,or VCP. I only have a computer with pentium 4 and 3.0GHz speed.

Please send your kind advise as quickly as possible at chisty1bd@gmail.com.

Thanking you in advance.
Nafiz

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
Nafiz,

1) Your observations are generally true and for those and other reasons, I'll recommend a "traditional" DV camcorder.

2) Memory stick implies Sony. Their stuff is very good but I prefer the manufacturuers that are less brand-restrictive in their architecture.

3) Firewire cable (plus a card for your PC if it is not already equipped).

4) Your personal choice, but things I would check are:
a) size of LCD viewer. I like big ones - expensive unfortunately
b) CCD spec - generally speaking larger CCD gives a better picture
c) availability of hot shoe for external mike - essential for outside shooting
d) decent audio recording without too much motor noise
e) easy to use menu system

I don't care about taking stills with the camcorder - it's a mug's game in my view.

I am fairly happy with my Canon MX150i, taking into acount all the above.

Cheers.

Username: Nafiz

Dhaka, Dhaka Bangladesh (...

I am planning to buy a camcorder (Handycam) for me.As I dont know anything about Camcorder or Handycam so I thought that perhaps someone can kindly help me buy a new, good and suitable camcorder for me.
I have some confusion related to the product and need your kind advise:
1)I went to the Sony products site but saw some format of HandyCam with which I am not familiar at all. So could you kindly mention the difference among them. Please also mention the best type.The different format I saw are:-
a)DVD b) miniDV c)Hi8 d)D8
Which format use memory stick. Which model should I buy.

2)will i be able to transfer the recorded things directly from the cam to the computer?

3)I heard the memorystick format cams uses the VCR cassetts , is it correct.(because one or two VCR cassets comes with the cams)
I dont have a VCR or a VCP. Then what will happen to me.

4)If i buy the DVD format HandyCam,then will i be able to erase/edit the last still without the computer.

5)Will my recorded DVD give any trouble when i place it in the DVD ROM of my computer.that is, will my computer be able to read it smoothly?
i heard that most of the DVD format cams give this problem.

6)If i go for the other type of HandyCams , then will i be able to transfer the recorded things directly from the cam to the computer by connecting it thru the cable?

I am very much puzzaled.Someoneplease help.Please mail me your advise at chisty1bd@gmail.com

Thanking you in advance.
Bye.

Post Number: 3
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP:

I am planning to buy a camcorder (Handycam) for me.As I dont know anything about Camcorder or Handycam so I thought that perhaps someone can kindly help me buy a new, good and suitable camcorder for me.
I have some confusion related to the product and need your kind advise:
1)I went to the Sony products site but saw some format of HandyCam with which I am not familiar at all. So could you kindly mention the difference among them. Please also mention the best type.The different format I saw are:-
a)DVD b) miniDV c)Hi8 d)D8
Which format use memory stick. Which model should I buy.

2)will i be able to transfer the recorded things directly from the cam to the computer?

3)I heard the memorystick format cams uses the VCR cassetts , is it correct.(because one or two VCR cassets comes with the cams)
I dont have a VCR or a VCP. Then what will happen to me.

4)If i buy the DVD format HandyCam,then will i be able to erase/edit the last still without the computer.

5)Will my recorded DVD give any trouble when i place it in the DVD ROM of my computer.that is, will my computer be able to read it smoothly?
i heard that most of the DVD format cams give this problem.

6)If i go for the other type of HandyCams , then will i be able to transfer the recorded things directly from the cam to the computer by connecting it thru the cable?

I am very much puzzaled.Someoneplease help.Please mail me your advise at chisty1bd@gmail.com

Thanking you in advance.
Bye.

Unregistered guest
SOS! I have a Sony DC-HCR40 DV Camcorder. I am having problems capturing the recorded videos to my laptop. The resultant videos are grainy and sound is bad. What is the problem? I am using the Picture Package software to capture the same. Are there better softwares? Or is it something to do with my laptop? Help!

Unregistered guest
SOS! I have a Sony DC-HCR40 DV Camcorder. I am having problems capturing the recorded videos to my laptop. The resultant videos are grainy and sound is bad. What is the problem? I am using the Picture Package software to capture the same. Are there better softwares? Or is it something to do with my laptop? Help!

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
AtticusFinch,

Please tell some more about your setup:

- OS
- type of interface you are using to connect your camcorder to your PC
- in what format and/or with what programme are you viewing these grainy videos?

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Gromit,

- I am using Windows XP
- Connecting with a USB Cable
- WMA/Mpeg on both Windows Media Player and Win DVD

Rgds,
Atticus

Unregistered guest
Gromit,

Addendum:

The capture when viewed directly on Win Media Player and Win DVD is grainy and slushy. I havent tried buring the Video on a VCD or DVD and checked it on TV. Do you think the video on TV would be better despite the capture being bad?

Atticus

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
Atticus,

Your problem is that you are not using firewire, a.k.a. IEEE1394, a.k.a. DV, a.k.a. i-link to transfer your video. That is the method to transfer "native' quality video.

Post again if you can't find plenty of advice on these pages about how to hook up with firewire.

Cheers.

Post Number: 4
Hello,
I have deceided to buy a handycam: Sony HC90E but dont know about its performance.So,please send me its good and bad features at chisty1bd@gmail.com.
Bye

Unregistered guest
hi. i have hi8 and use a picture package, but i can`t transfer photographs to my HDD. Please help.

Debraj Ray
Unregistered guest
Hi
I am planning to purchase a handycam (INR 20000-30000). Which model will be the best in this range (in terms of quality of recorded picture, playable on TV/PC, writable on CD/DVD)? Pls suggest as I have no idea about this.

Thanks in advance

SAPatrick
Unregistered guest
I have just upgraded from Pinnacle Studio 8 (which I got in Europe) to version 9 (which I bought in the USA). When I try capture video from my PAL format Sony handycam, the Studio software gives me an error saying it only imports NTSC. Is there any workaround that will allow me to capture PAL format on v9 (without having to uninstall). Anyone know why they put this restriction on the US version when the European version will allow any format (PAL, NTSC, etc)?

Silver Member

Post Number: 253
SAPatrick,

I think this is a question you need to pose to Pinnacle direct, but I can offer the following (conflicting) thoughts:

1) When I install my own video capture/editing programmes, during the instal, it asks where you are located countrywise, OR you can specify "both PAL and NTSC". Maybe you inadvertently chose an "NTSC only" country option on installation? (I know you said you want a solution without re-installing...)

2) Pinnacle may be achieving a higher price for their software in Europe, which might account for a USA version being NTSC only. Just a guess.

If you are running Windows XP, you can always capture using Windows Moviemaker. Would Pinnacle then agree to process the PAL file?

Good luck!

Username: Slothboy

Network Administrator, UK

Hi everyone, I know you don't know me as I am a newbie, but I would like to tell you a story.

Once upon a time Slothboy bought a Sony DCR-HC42, from a shop in the states via eBay, for his birthday (today in fact) after waiting for his birthday to arrive he eagerly took his new camera out of the box and started filming randomly. He then thought that he would like to see what the video editing software was like that came with the camera.

So he plugged in the cradle and hooked it up with the USB cable provided, only to discover that his machine only sees the camera as a USB memory device.

Sorry I'll be normal now. So I loaded the software, downloaded the patch to be able to stream video (not sure if that was needed) but still the camera and the PC aren't running.

My question is this;

Am I able to use this US camera with my PC?

A very simple question I know but I am running out of ideas.

My system is as follows.

AMD 64 3500+ Winchester
ASUS A8N-SLi
Windows XP (SP2)
All updates are up to date.

Please please can anyone help?

Username: Slothboy

Network Administrator, UK

Don't worry sloth was being stupid, he has now found the setting to enable video capture and feels very very stupid. I guess a massive case of RTFM was neeed.

Sorry to waste your time

Silver Member

Post Number: 256
Simon,

I'd always rather read a 2-line follow up "success" email than spend 10 mins trying to figure out a (solved) problem remotely, so thanks for the update. Most people do not bother with such courtesy!

Cheers

Unregistered guest
hi ,
I have sony DCR TRV 11 camcorder bought at USA
What software / hardware I need to buy in order to convert the tapes to VCD format.
(The TRV11 allows me to connect to PC and transfer pictures in Memory stick to PC)
Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 382
shriya,

Nero Vision Express is a convenient package for making VCDs. There are also some free programmes.

Of course, you need a CD burner as well.

Check out www.videohelp.com

Cheers

Unregistered guest
Hi gromit,
My sony camcorder has following feature only
I can connect camcorder to PC with USB interface convert memory stick Pictures into jpeg using Picture gear software supplied my Sony.
I need to know whether I need to buy any hardware to allow the camcorder cassette video to be captured by Software.
My computer does have only serial parrel and USB ports

Silver Member

Post Number: 385
shriya,

Are you sure there isn't a firewire port on this camcorder? (I'm not saying connecting it will be trivial.)

http://ecoustics.audioreview.com/cat/pcphotoreview/digital-camcorders/sony/PRD_8 3058_3100crx.aspx

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Sir,
I need some solution for my problem . problem is i am having Sony camcorder (model: CCD-TRV46E)& I am using Hi8 tapes for recording.Actually i want these tapes to be converted in to CD, using my own PC/Laptop.This model doesnot have IEEE1394 USB/firewire port. Kindly suggest what is to be done for converting these tapes to CD.Kindly give me brief solution for above problem.Please help in this regard.

Saravana kumar,
Bangalore, India

Silver Member

Post Number: 441
sharvan,

As your camcorder is analogue, you will need a video capture system; either a PCI card from a manufacturer such as Leadtek, or an external USB-connected box. I would probably go for the internal card if that is possible for you.

Once you have the video files on the PC, I'm sure you can do the rest!

Good luck

Unregistered guest
I live mainly Australia, but spend a lot of time in the North and Central America. I have read every post on the ecoustics.com forum on NTSC vs. Pal, and was hoping to find out what the current consensus is. Specifically, I plan on mostly viewing videos back in Australia by connecting the camera directly to a multi system (PAL and NTSC) TV and burning DVDs for play in Australia.

It seems to me that NTSC is the most common denominator, able to be used in both Australia and North America, while PAL can not be as readily used in North America. That being said, it's possible I might never need to send video to anyone in North America ever, and if I do, a file that can be played on a computer will be fine. In that case, the only thing I think I lose by going with a PAL camera is the ability to hook the camera directly to a North American TV for playback. I think I can live with that. Both the PAL and NTSC versions of the camera I want are readily available at nearly the same price.

One last question; does NTSC video played on a PAL/NTSC TV look the same as when it is played on an NTSC TV?

Thanks for any comments you might have.

Cheers,
Monroe Howser

Silver Member

Post Number: 456
Monroe,

I have answered this question on the other page where you posted.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
hi,
can someone please advise. i bought an ntsc mini dv camcorder for my father in ireland. we are trying to figure out how to get it playing on a pal tv in ireland. it comes up in black and white but we also have another problem. my dad bought a vcr/dvd recorder so he can record directly form the camcorder to dvd but we can't even get a picture up using the lead connected directly from the camcorder to the vcr/dvd recorder.i would really appreciate any help on this as this was his retirement present and so far no luck. thanks cathy

Unregistered guest
hi,
can someone please advise. i bought an ntsc mini dv camcorder for my father in ireland. we are trying to figure out how to get it playing on a pal tv in ireland. it comes up in black and white but we also have another problem. my dad bought a vcr/dvd recorder so he can record directly form the camcorder to dvd but we can't even get a picture up using the lead connected directly from the camcorder to the vcr/dvd recorder.i would really appreciate any help on this as this was his retirement present and so far no luck.you can e-mail at irishyank98@hotmail.com thanks cathy

Silver Member

Post Number: 575
Cathy,

I have bad news for you. A PAL-only TV will never be able to play back from an NTSC camcorder. Either you need to get a dual-standard TV (they are not uncommon), or a different camcorder.

Other, more roundabout ways are:

1) Connect a converting VCR player between the camcorder and PC. There is an Aiwa model, forget which one, but it works quite well.

2) Transfer the video onto your computer and process the file from NTSC to PAL, then burn a DVD using a DVD authoring programme.

If the DVD player is PAL-only, the same restrictions apply.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Cheers.

macsurferuk
Unregistered guest
Hi I'm a DV newbie...
I'm trying to transfer "old" footage from an 8mm video camera via my Sony HC42 to my computer for editing.
All I'm getting is sound, and a blue screen (on both the Sony and the Mac (using imovie) .Footage shot on the sony DV goes into imovie with no problem. (Using Firewire) The DV camera is set to DV-in.

I've just had a brainwave whilst writing this. My DV camera is NTSC, and my footage is PAL. Is this causing the problem? I'd assumed the "signal" was just passing through the DV camera?

Any advice would be welcome. the Mac doesn't have a TV card so i can't put the old footage in direct. Hugh

Anonymous

I am using a Sony Handycam TRV17 trying to get video to my Dell 8400 (Windows Media Edition) I installed the software etc. to find I have no firewire connection on the computer. I tried running through usb port but computer doesn't acknowledge the camera at all. I am lost and would appreciate any suggestions.

Unregistered guest
i am having sony trv265 digital 8 camcorder,i am unable to copy images from my cam to pc, connected with usb,picture package version1.0 but i am burning vcd directly(not saved in hard disk) ,how to copy images to pc,please reply

Bluechip0
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I have the Samsung SCD23 minidv camcorder brought from US. i bought a USB and IEEE cable and started transfering the images and still pictures. It so happened that my camcorder switched off on its own and then i had to service the same bearing the huge cost.

my question is - Should we check for the compatibility of the cables with the camcorder? If yes, please let me know how to do that. Also, what else should we take care before transfering like kind of software, hardware etc...

Thanks a ton for your help

Anonymous

I am trying to covert my 8mm video from my old Canon E220 camcrder through my Sony DCR-DVD403 into my dell inspiron 8500 is it ok to hook up out of canon, input Sony, output Sony via usb2 to laptop. Can I run this without a DVD in the Sony

Vasi
Unregistered guest
Hi
Please someone help me
I have pinagle 9.3 verson and sony camcorder dv out with pal system.
problem is pinagle plus 9.3 dose not enable to edit. it is giving the message pinagle plus not enable to capture the video and change the format. I can not chanfe the format. Do I need reinstall? or Is any converter Pal to Ntsc?
help me please
Thanks

Username: Irshadar

New delhi, Delhi India

sir i have a sumsung camcorder and i also downloaded the recorded movie into my pc through ieee 1394. but i want that in that format by which i can play that movie in TV through my vcd or dvd player for that ehat i have to do?

Unregistered guest
This is a "How Things Work" question regarding DV, PAL and NTSC formats.
If I record images with my NTSC camcorder on a miniDV tape in the DV format, is the NTSC specific format information also recorded on the tape? Or does the tape only contain pixel data?
In that case the NTSC formatting info would
only be added during playback of the tape.

Just wondering . . . .

Namvettom
Unregistered guest
I have a Panasonic PV-DV103. I would like to hook it up to my laptop HP Pavilion dv4230us. What cable do I need. The one that I use for my desktop will not work.

Username: Ram_kumar

I would like to by Sony DCR-TRV280 Digital 8 Camcorder from US.I am taking this to India.Please advice me whether I can buy this, becase there is a format differece between india and US that mean PAL & NTSC.

Please advise me to buy available Camcoder in US market(Sony brand) which I can use in India(Campatible with PAL system).

Unregistered guest
Will PAL Work in the US?

Unregistered guest
Hi,

I have a SONY digital 8 camera (PAL) which I used in Europe. I moved to the US now and settled.

I have quite a few home videos recorded on Digital8 tapes in PAL. They are all on those Di8 tapes.

I want to onvert them to NTSC, and finally burn them onto DVD-R for NTSC playback.

What are my options.....Please help!

Username: Ravi_sharma

HI,
I am in us and i have oabasibuc pv-gs2 mini dv. I also have fire wire in my system. I have dvd burner in my system. i want to transfer from mini dv to dvd which can run on my panasonic dvd player. what is best format and software

Unregistered guest
Hi I was wondering if someone can help me out with a problem that I have. Well I have a Sony mini DV (handy Cam) the software that I'm using is NERO 6. I am trying to capture a home movie to my computer so that I can burn it on to a DVD using my USB wire like it says on the manual. The problem is that every time I go back to play the captured video on the computer, people are speaking and the wording don't match up to the video. There is ½ second delay. If someone can help me I really appreciate it. Thnx!

Unregistered guest
Hello everyone.
I have a camcorder panasonic pv-gs2 and in order to use it as a webcam and to record my videos into my computer I need a "video stream driver",which I don't have and it seems to be impossible to find it. I even tried several times to contact the actual panasonic store and they don't seem to care to help me.
Does anyone know anything about this driver and how I can get it?? my comp system uses xp windows.

thank you
Gerardo

Unregistered guest
Hi I have a sony video handycam Hi8 xr ccd-trp13e, and i want to play the video on my PC what do i need and what do i need to do as i am new and need help in this field

sanjay rohit
Unregistered guest
Hi i have sony HC42E, i just want to know that is there any diffrence between firewire & usb cord?(provided with camcoder)

Username: Irandar

I have some NTSC recorded miniDV tapes that I want to load from my PAL Handycam to my mac, using imovie. I was surprised that my PAL camera plays them. Can I also download them with suitable imovie settings.

Username: Tapan

I am going to buy sony DCR-DVD105 from US. Can anyone please suggest me that this will work with my PAL TV back in India. Are there any compatibility software required for conversion between NTSC->PAL. Please suggest.

Username: Lizzilove

Hi all, I am looking to buy a miniDV camcorder and am currently based in Australia. I study digital design and would like to use this camcorder to produce video material for my portfolio.

My dilemma is this....I am originally from the U.S. and probobly plan on going back there to live one day. For now though, I want to be able to produce high quality video in PAL format AND NTSC format so I can share my portfolio with employers both in Australia and the U.S.

I have used Canopus ProCoder to convert PAL to NTSC and vice versa before, but I do notice a slight drop in quality after conversion. Aren't there any high-end consumer level camcorders that have the option to switch between capture formats, NTSC and PAL? If so this is my dream camcorder and whoever tells me about it will be my hero.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us