Mini DV PAL vs. NTSC

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through October 03, 2004SteveGannon100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Unregistered guest
I'm thinking of purchasing a multi-region DVD player/recorder - would I be able to record my camcorder miniDV images (NTSC) directly on to a DVD disc through this unit (i-link etc.)?

I'm assuming that I'll be able to view the recorded images on the DVD disc when played through the multi region DVD player?

Or is this far too simplistic?

Regards

Jazzypap

Anonymous

hey guys when i record on my jvc mini dv tape is it possible to erase or delete the video which i have recorded on the tape.plz help me out wid this guys.thanx

comp_download
Unregistered guest
Question downloading video file to a computer
---------------------------------------------
I understand its possible to connect the camcorder to your computer and download the video file..however I am not sure what is the way to do so. Any thoughts on downloading a video file by connection to a computer and burning a CD with a MPEG file would be much appreciated say the camcorder records on a Mini DV tape.

Unregistered guest
Hello , i am going to get a mini dv cam for xmas but my pc doesnt have one of those firewire ports and im not sure i will be ablt to go and get one of those cards installed without my parents knowing is there any other way for me to get videos trasfered. And also i want to get pinnacle studios 9 to edit and can u use that edit program for any camera

Unregistered guest
Hi i have the same dilemma as SteveGannon.
i know little about camcorders and rely on info from numerous helpful sites such as this.
I live in New Zealand (pal tv )and am considering buying a panasonic gs 200 or gs400.
If i buy the ntsc model from USA i can save approx.nz$1000 on either model.If i buy in nz (pal model) i am stretching the budget at a gs120 (retails here for about $1800)but i wont have any problems if i need to use the warranty. Some say pal is better.Some say any difference between pal and ntsc is negligible.
Do i buy a cheaper pal camera locally (even 1ccd) and end up with similar picture quality to higher end ntsc
camera?
Do i import ntsc for same price but with better features and hope that i'll find that i really can't see a noticeable difference in picture quality?
can anyone using an ntsc camcorder in a pal country who has been able to compare the two please let me know.can you see a difference?
Thanks

williams
Unregistered guest
direct tv
6552 directv dvr
4158 discover directv
2547 directv tivo
2319 directv receiver
2043 directv satellite
1468 directv com
1347 free directv
1316 directv canada
1119 directv system
1107 directv hd receiver
1088 directv programming
1081 directv hdtv
1022 cable directv
1011 directv sports
990 directv hd
976 directv hd dvr
948 directv card
929 directv account
903 directv installation
854 directv satellite system
850 directv descrambler
797 houston direct
761 directv guide
751 dish network vs directv
732 directv mexico
708 directv dish
700 directv hdtv receiver
649 directv internet
597 hughes directv
577 directv satellite receiver
575 directv lawsuit
573 directv dsl
555 directv hd tivo
545 directv access card
541 samsung directv
488 directv customer service
474 directv channel
473 directv satellite dish
470 directv dish network
453 directv para
448 directv retailer
441 directv forum
440 directv equipment
427 directv schedule
411 directv center
400 directv multiswitch
399 hdtv directv tivo
394 at t business direct
392 directv special
384 directv .com
375 directv venezuela
366 directv group
361 directv remote
356 directv deal
354 directv dvr tivo
351 nfl directv
348 directv hr10 250
346 directv receiver with tivo
340 directv offer
332 directv billing
332 directv mall
331 compare directv and dish network
331 directv dealer
327 directv smart card
316 rca directv
313 directv installers
303 directv puerto rico
302 directv program guide
299 directv pay per view
298 direct directv
298 sony directv receiver
296 directv latin america

Unregistered guest
visit http://www.satellitetvjane.us for satellite tv

Unregistered guest
Hi

I have a question regarding digital tvs and miniDV camcorders. Am i correct in understanding that digital tvs are NTSC/PAL independent, thus will be able to play any video signal inputted to them without any video quality loss?

Your feedback would be most grateful.

ps. has anyone tried this?

Unregistered guest
I need to buy a audio and video editing machine(NTSC) also need a camera to make some movies.
Please help me to find out for low price.

Hamilton
Unregistered guest
Can I transfer some material, recorded in NTSC format, into my computer and change it in PAL format, using Fireware and Adobe Premiere Pro without image quality loss? Thanks?

Anonymous

I am planning to buy Canon ZR85, which only has NTSC format. Will this work with my TV in India ? I have read on this site that latest TVs can play both NTSC & PAL, but has anybody got the real time experience of this ?

Dennis Horton
Unregistered guest
OK I've read, and learned a lot from, this thread, however....

1. I live in the US
2. I have an NTSC VCR, and some PAL VHS tapes from the UK.
3. I want to get the content of the PAL tapes on to my hard drive, and then convert them to ANY viewable format.

I can capture the tapes as .avi files using Pinnacle Studio 7, but I can't find the magic software to convert those files to where I can view them. I've tried TMPGEnc, DVDSanta, and of course Studio 7.

Can somebody please help, even if it's just to tell me I'm wasting my time?

TIA

Unregistered guest
Hi ,
IN LAYMAN WORDS I WOULD SAY, AS ALL POWER PACKS RANGE (110V-240V)...!!! DON'T YOU THINK CAMERAS SHOULD ALSO RANGE (PAL-NTSC-SECAM)...AND VICE VERSA.
WELL I HAVE A PROBLEM TRANSFERING PAL VHS STUFF TO DV NTSC. MY CAMERA TAKES ANALOG INPUT BUT THE COLOUR SKIPS..
ANYBODY WORKING ON OLD VHS STUFF.
THANKS GUYS.

tomsk1111
Unregistered guest
I have a simple question that has not yet been asked or answered.

I have a Sony HC18E miniDV that records onto PAL. We need to send tapes to family in Argentina where the standard is PAL-N.

Apparently this is incompatible with the European version.
Options I see are:
a) By them a European compatible video or DVD player just for watching these videos (might be cheaper than converting everything)
b) Convert everything to PAL-N. If easy please let me know as all above threads talk only about PAL-NTSC.
c) Something else.

Grateful for any advice.
thanks

Unregistered guest
Hi everybody,
Have you ever heard about Digital converter box (not software) that able to convert PAL to NTSC Vice-versa with DV i-link/in-out? (on the fly)
I think this is going to be the device that every digital camcorder's owner should have for rendering the NTSC/PAL problems.
Converting/transcoding through PC is a headache!

Anonymous

Here's a tip. If you have a question (like i did), read the previous posts before you ask your question as chances are it has already been answered (like mine was) and you can save everyone's valuable time!!!

geopen
Unregistered guest
hi,
ok, i'm a little confused. my boyfriend is going back home to Morocco for a visit and would to buy a Minidv. we were told to buy one of the models w/ an E at the end of the model #. first question..is that correct? second, he would like to video footage here and then play it there on the TV, will that work? and does he need to buy special tapes for the camera? AND do you know what is a good model?

thank you,
confused girlfriend

Unregistered guest
I live in both UK and USA, I'm English.
You can only play an NTSC recorded tape in a USA Video machine and PAL recorded tape in a Euro machine. The way to get around all of this is to buy a MiniDVD Disc Camcorder. This will record onto disc and is playable in any suitable dvd player or computer with a dvd player.
You can run a recording from a pal player into a computer and edit and save the movie as a pal or ntsc format, depending on your software. I believe Premier will do this... but the bottom line is playing either countries tape in the opposing machine is not going to work.

Anonymous

I asked the question whether miniDV camcorder Cannon ZR85 will work with PAL TVs in India, I finally bought & using it in India & not finding any problem.(though ZR85 only has NTSC)It is working perfectly.
Most of the TVs in India can play both PAL & NTSC.

Mark Doherty
Unregistered guest
Wow 3.5 years of debate and still I'm not 100%sure what fomat to buy, but based on cost I think I'll go with the NTSC(I live in PAL land). Incidentally whats the replacement for the PV GS120 and is it as better?, Mark

Bronze Member
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 23
Mark, although I am firm believer in PAL, that is not affecting my answer here.

Generally speaking, I would advise anybody to choose the video system which is applicable to their country of residence. Even if you (like me) are lucky enough to have dual standard TV/video systems, there will probably be times when you want to share DVDs with friends and family locally. If you are using the "wrong" standard, this will just lead to heartbreak.

Of course, if you have friends/family overseas where the video standard is different (and you do want to send them DVDs), then it can make sense to buy equipment following the video standard of your target destination.

Hope that helps

Angelos-Greece
Unregistered guest
The real question can be express as that simple:

"I live in PAL country but i found in an internet site a NTSC camera in a very good price,
should i buy it?????????????"

And the real answer is....

BUY IT.
-> explanation
As i have seen PAL camera editions come later than NTSC editions. (see SONY HC90 (ntsc) and HC90E (PAL) the "E" is for pal editions).
Using Adobe Premiere and not pinnacle studios (pinnacle has the worst software-based-architectures) you will have NO problem capturing or burning as it supports BOTH standards.

Nowadays tvs supports BOTH standards so there is no problem to see DIRECTLY through the s-video output of your camera.

Furthermore, concerning the quality, the differences are not viewable.

The only problem is how to see a DVtape written in ntsc on a PAL camera or vice versa. This cannot be done unfortunately.(*only in "dual" cameras)

Unregistered guest
Recently I bought Sony handycam DCR-HC21 from Best bBuy in NY(US). now i came to know it suppots only NTSC. So is it possible to see my reacorded videos in India where connection is PAL?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Sujata,

Your choices are:

1) Convert the NTSC file on your PC using Adobe, TMPGEnc, or other similar software, then burn a DVD in PAL (conversion will take quite a long time and the quality will degrade somewhat)

2) View your NTSC DVD on a dual-standard TV (they do exist as mentioned just above, and work very well)

3) View your NTSC DVD on your PAL TV through a dual standard CONVERTING video recorder (there is an Aiwa model, don't recall the number. It works quite well though)

4) Buy a magnifying glass and watch it on the camcorder display ;-)

I think that just about covers the option.

Cheers

Jazzy
Unregistered guest
Now years down the line, I am looking for some advice!

I am going to america where I can get a Sony DCR-HC42 (NTSC) for a lot lot cheaper than the DCR-HC42E (PAL).

I live in the UK so I use PAL.

Is it possible to edit the NTSC movie on my PC and then create a PAL DVD and still maintain High Video Quality?

Also, what software would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Jazzy

Jazzy
Unregistered guest
Now years down the line, I am looking for some advice!

I am going to america where I can get a Sony DCR-HC42 (NTSC) for a lot lot cheaper than the DCR-HC42E (PAL).

I live in the UK so I use PAL.

Is it possible to edit the NTSC movie on my PC and then create a PAL DVD and still maintain High Video Quality?

Also, what software would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Jazzy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
Jazzy,

Check out my April 11th response and post again if that doesn't answer your question

Cheers.

Jazzy
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your response but I was looking for some help with editing NTSC video and then burning a PAL movie.

Is this possible?

Also, what software do you recommend?

Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Jazzy, any of the video editing packages you are likely to come across should be pretty much ambidextrous when it comes PAL v NTSC. So do all your clip editing in native NTSC format. Then, use TMPGEnc or Adobe to convert the "finished" clips into PAL (taking into account the quality caveat). Then build a PAL DVD using these converted clips.

Does that make sense?

Cheers.

Jazzy
Unregistered guest
Thanks for your reply Gromit.

So you are saying it is best to record in NTSC as the camera's are cheaper and then convert to PAL?

Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
Jazzy,

I never actually said that! My suggestion is how to deal with a situation where you do have mis-matching camcorder and TV/video system. But if you aren't already in that situation, I don't think the game is worth the candle. The conversion step is quite tedious and the result is less than perfect. Any improvement in quality you could leverage by cheaper cameras in the USA would almost certainly be wiped out by the degradation caused by conversion.

If you are travelling, check out the duty-free areas overseas. They are targeted towards international travellers and always have both formats (PAL and NTSC) available - at least, in Asia where I live....

The other solution of course is to get a dual-standard TV, which is even more expensive and doesn't solve the problem of sharing video with friends...

Good luck!

Username: Malavelka

Post Number: 1
:-)

Ogun
Unregistered guest
Does the PAL vs NTSC issue matter if you convert your video to AVI, MPEG or VCD formats on your PC?

I have also seen some resolutions and fame rates being listed for PAL and NTSC systems which indicates the amount of data on a mini DV is fixed. So where does the CCD resolution come into play? How do you get better resolution videos.

I plan to buy and NTSC camcorder from the US and I live in UK. I checked and most DVD and VCR players here are listed to have PAL and NTSC support. I think the issue is using (trying to) PAL in US or Japan.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
Ogun,

So long as you remain inside your PC, both PAL and NTSC should both work. When you try to play back on a TV, PAL/NTSC matters...

You are correct in stating that all DV camcorders (within PAL or NTSC respectively) have the same resolution - unless one goes for a very high-end semi-professional Hi-Def model of course. A larger CCD can be thought of as the equivalent of a larger lens. With a bit more space available for capturing light, the accuracy tends to be better.

You are also correct that most videos and DVD players support both NTSC and PAL. However, only a few will CONVERT, meaning that if your TV is a different standard to your video camera, you still have a problem.

Hope that helps.

skd
Unregistered guest
Is there any free software to burn the Mini DV footage to a DVD

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
skd, don't think so - let us know if you find something good!

Cheers.

Username: Kenny_h

I'm looking at a canon xl2 and I'm just learning about PAL and ntsc. Which might be a better way to go. Plan on remaining in the states.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
Kenny, generally speaking, I would advise anybody to choose the video system which is applicable to their country of residence - NTSC in your case. Even if you (like me) are lucky enough to have dual standard TV/video systems, there will probably be times when you want to share DVDs with friends and family locally. If you are using the "wrong" standard, this will just lead to heartbreak.

Of course, if you have friends/family overseas where the video standard is different (and they are your prime target for sending DVDs), then it can make sense to buy equipment following the video standard of your target destination.

Hope that helps.

viccy
Unregistered guest
i recently filmed some footage for a project, using one ntsc camera and one pal camera (not realising the difference in format...). i've been able to import into imovie separately, but want to put the footage from the two cameras together, which imovie is not allowing me to do since they are of 'different video standards'. can anyone tell me a cheap and easy way to make them compatible with each other? preferably ending up with a PAL product...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
Viccy, you can convert .avi files from PAL-NTSC and vice versa on your PC using Ulead VideoStudio (I tried just now with VideoStudio 6 SE, it seems to work OK). On the "finish" tab, click "Create Video File" and choose DV plus the video standard you want.

Don't forget, this will reduce the quality a bit.

Cheers.

Viccy
Unregistered guest
cheers Gromit- unfortunately i'm using a mac (OS X 10.3.9) and it doesn't seem to be compatible...

daveyret
Unregistered guest
my nose sticks out too far

david hibbert
Unregistered guest
where are the nuts?

d34n0
Unregistered guest
hi all,here we go again!!
o.k. I just get a jvc grd72( ntsc ) for half the price of a pal model!! I live in the uk, should i get rid or keep this item?
I do p.i. work and i give the finished items to clients!

I do have adobe premier 6.5 , can i do anything with this??

thanx 4 your advice u beautiful people

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
d34no,

I am told that Adobe Premier can do NTSC-PAL conversions. As per my post just above, I have tested and can confirm that Ulead VideoStudio can do conversions.

Don't forget that the quality will deteriorate a bit.

Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
Viccy, according to my friend who is a mad-keen Apple user, you can do format change using a Mac application called "i-Movies"

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Hi, I belong to India and I am currently in Canada. I am planning to buy a Sony camcorder DCR TRV 480 / DCR TRV 280. These will record on a tape. I heard that the recording will be in NTSC format and in India TV and tapes are in PAL format. My doubt is can I play the recorded video on an India TV by giving video-out of the camcorder to TV/with a Video Player there. One more doubt in future can I buy video casettes in India and use them to record in this camcorder.

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
Kiran,

Yes, it's true you won't be able to play the tapes back on your local TV unless:

a) you have a dual-standard TV (might not be common in India) or
b) you play them through a PAL-NTSC converter (some VCRs have this function, but not many), or
c) you upload the tapes into your PC and do a format conversion before burning a DVD(very tedious).

The actual cassettes don't care whether they are recorded NTSC or PAL.

Hope that helps.

Unregistered guest
Thanks Gromit,

One more doubt I have in this issue. How to find whether my Indian TVs support both NTSC and PAL formats and Where I can get a PAL supporting Camcorders in Canada. May be Sony or any other company.

Any other information which can help me in resolving this issue. I need a camcorder [badly].

Thanks once again.
Kiran.

Silver Member

Post Number: 145
Kiran,

Any TV store will be able to tell you whether any of the sets they have are dual-standard. Any sets you currently have will certainly list standards supported in the specifications section of the user guide.

In any country, most stores will only sell camcorders supporting the local TV standard. That is because 99% of their market is such purchases. So, you need to find a Duty Free/Export shop - most of which are located at airports, of course.

Good luck!

Cheers.

snady
Unregistered guest
I need to make a rough, low quality NTSC VHS copy of a PAL DVD to send out for review. The DVD plays on my Mac laptop. I have a miniDV camcorder-- NTSC and firewire. Shall I shoot off the screen in real time?
If I can access the video & audio files on the DVD and convert them won't it take a long time? Can I use iMovie in some way? Or FCP?

Camera User
Unregistered guest
I have recently purchased a Samsung (SC-D353) DV-Camcorder. The software that comes with it (Ulead VideoStudio 7) works great, but I had a copy of Pinnacle Studio 9 and my videos look even better on DVD. My question is, regardless of Firewire or USB (I use firewire), should the software you use be a factor? If so, whats a good software recommendation to transfer to DVD? Can someone help?

Silver Member

Post Number: 183
Camera User,

Yes, the software can make a difference to the quality of the finished DVD. The critical process is the rendering from native .avi format to MPEG-2, which is used in video DVDs.

Myself, I tried a few programmes before settling on Ulead MovieFactory. Rendering is rather slow but I like the end result.

Hope that helps.

babalu
Unregistered guest
Hi
I am new to this forum.
I have a DCR-HC40E Pal DV Camcorder. It is not recording on the miniDV tapes I used to use with Sony TRV-18. Is there anything like NTSC DV tape or PAL DV Tape.

Silver Member

Post Number: 188
babalu,

DV tape is NTSC/PAL agnostic. Whatever standard the camera uses, will record to the tape. You need to look elsewhere for an answer to your problem.

This is probably a stupid question, but are you sure you didn't slide the "record protect" switch across on the tapes?

Cheers.

Camera User
Unregistered guest
I have a question regarding the "Time/Date" stamp feature on my DV camcorder. While recording, it is on the display. Even during playback it is there. But while transferring to my PC however, the time/date display on the PC is blank (no matter what software)...I'm sure this is specific to my camcorder, but is there anyone else out there with this problem??

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
Camera User,

Something I learnt from the real video-meister on this site (Berny) is "You can't transfer the date, you have to put it in yourself on the final edited product." Here is the sister page with that Q&A.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/photography/84713.html

Cheers.

W-PerryH
Unregistered guest
Snady
Your laptop should have a S-video and or Composite video out.
-Go to radioshack, purchase a mini\stereo din to component adapter (3-5 foot cable that attaches to the headphone port on your laptop, but splits into a left and right (usually red and black) audio signal. Connect one end to your laptop and the other to the vcr
-grab a composite cable or if your notebook only has S-video out, grab an s-video to composite adapter. Using either or, connect your laptop to your VCR, and then power it up.

-I am not familiar with MAC's but most Windows notebooks built within the last 5 years, would allow the video out to immediately be displayed onto a TV or in this case, VCR, as soon as the VGA adapter (normally ATI) senses the other Video display.

-You should be able to play the DVD using any DVd software that will allow you to play full screen video. Just start up the dvd, choose full screen and then record the Video.

If you need to make sure that the video is being recorded, connect a TV to the VCR, via the Video out option on the VCR. What you see on the TV would be what you would be recording on the VCR.

Unregistered guest
I live mainly Australia, but spend a lot of time in the North and Central America. I have read every post on the ecoustics.com forum on NTSC vs. Pal, and was hoping to fing out what the current consensus is. Specifically, I plan on mostly viewing videos back in Australia by connecting the camera directly to a multi system (PAL and NTSC) TV and burning DVDs for play in Australia.

It seems to me that NTSC is the most common denominator, able to be used in both Australia and North America, while PAL can not be as readily used in North America. That being said, it's possible I might never need to send video to anyone in North America ever, and if I do, a file that can be played on a computer will be fine. In that case, the only thing I think I lose by going with a PAL camera is the ability to hook the camera directly to a North American TV for playback. I think I can live with that. Both the PAL and NTSC versions of the camera I want are readily available at nearly the same price.

One last question; does NTSC video played on a PAL/NTSC TV look the same as when it is played on an NTSC TV?

Thanks for any comments you might have.

Cheers,
Monroe Howser

Silver Member

Post Number: 457
Monroe,

I have answered this question on the other page where you posted.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Hi Every Body,
I am looking for a good camcoder, and after visiting many websites got to know that what are the things you shd look for in a camcoder, but never find a model including all these, plz suggest which model , which make can provide these,
1) High quality video and audio for home use
2) Good lens or Carl Lens
3) Good optical Zoom say upto 1-20
4) Recording in many format or DVD.
5) Internal recording on memory card say SD/MMC.
6) Capability to transfer to PC and make DVDs.
7) Good battery time
8) Maximum Recording time with high qulaity video.
9) Compact design with normal Price range.
10) Good Warranty and make.

Unregistered guest
I have a Mini DV and I want to know how to connect to my computer. I went out and bought a firewire cable but there isn't any way to connect it to the camera. Do I need iLink? If so, do I still need the firewire cable anymore? Please post a resolution or email me. Thank you very much.

Silver Member

Post Number: 499
Gladiator in training,

Almost all mini DV camcorders have a firewire connection. Check your user guide to see where it is hidden. Normally there is a protective cover.

If your PC does not have a firewire port, you'll also need to buy a card.

Always make sure your camcorder is turned off when you connect the firewire cable.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Hi All,

I intend to buy a Sony DCR-HC42 (NTSC) and use it in PAL country (India).

I heard the terms (NTSC & PAL) today morning and got concerned as I was about to proceed for buying this camera. While researching I got to this thread and found it very useful [I almost read the entire thread :-)]. It did answer a lot of my queries.

I have tried to summarize my learning below. If some body can validate this it would be really helpful. The summary would also be helpful for users who might get over-whelmed with the amount of information here.

Thanks in advance
Guneet

PS :: Please note some of the information here might be in-correct as it is based on just 1/2 a day of research on the internet.

Difference in NTSC & PAL

NTSC & PAL are ways of storing & interpretting video information. Some of the differences that I could understand are

1) NTSC format stores lesser # of horizontal lines as compared to PAL

2) NTSC & PAL have different frame rates

3) Video footage on NTSC requires more storage space. [Probably point #2 leads to 3]

4) NTSC is cheaper.

DV Storage Media

DV Tapes are just storage media. They just do their job - store data without caring about the format that was used to store or would be used to view video stored in this data.

Viewing on a TV

-> Most Televisions these days can handle both NTSC & PAL.

I have a recently bought SONY TV & its menu shows COLOUR FORMAT options for both NTSC & PAL. I believe connecting my camcoder with my TV and switching the mode to NTSC should allow me to view the content of Tape on an NTSC camera.

[Will come back and post in case this doesn't happen :-)]

Viewing on a Computer

-> Most cameras will allow downloading the recorded video to a computer

While downloading it to a computer the information recorded on the Tape would be required to be converted into digital array of 1's and 0's. An important point to note here is that your camera should provide connectivity to the computer. This means it should give you hardware & software required to do this conversion [The actual hardware (cables) and software may or maynot be present in the package that you buy, but this support is mandatory]

I guess for proper conversion, the software should know if the incoming data was recorded with NTSC or PAL format. The software might give you an option to select the type while downloading. Also in case the software is bundled with the camera itself then it should ideally be comaptible with the format used by the camera and should not bother the user with these details.

Once the conversion is done, the downloaded file can be stored and viewed on a computer without a problem.

Playing on a VCD/DVD Player

-> Most DVD Players can play both NTSC & PAL format

Converting b/w NTSC/PAL

I guess this can be done both in hardware as well as hardware. This thread gives you a starting point as far as s/w h/w options are converned. For more options Google rulez !!!!!!

The only thing to remember is that conversion from one format to another will always be associated with a loss of video quality.

To summarize if you intend

o to view your recordings on TV
- your tv should support dual mode or
- use any software package (there are many listed in this thread) to do the conversion.

o to view your video recording on computer
- No problem as long as you have proper connectivity b/w your camera and your computer.

o to view your video recording on DVD Player
- your dvd player should support dual mode or
- use any software package (there are many listed in this thread) to do the conversion.

Unregistered guest
Hi,
I have VHS PAL videos Tapes and Video player.Also I have Mini DV NTSC camcorder.
I want to convert my VHS PAL tapes into DV NTSC tapes.
What is the best method to conver above.
Thanks in Advance,
Raja

Silver Member

Post Number: 543
Raja,

1) Install an analogue video capture card (e.g. Leadtek) in your PC.

2) Connect your VHS player to your PC and capture the footage.

3) Use a video editing programme such as Ulead Video Studio to process ("render") the .avi files into NTSC. Setting you need is "DV-NTSC".

4) Output the resulting NTSC .avi files back to your DV camcorder via firewire (sometimes tricky) or just burn DVDs.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Hi Gromit,
Thanks for info.
I have PixelView PlayTV2pro TV Tuner card.
Is it sufficient to capture the video form VHS.

Regards,
Raja

Silver Member

Post Number: 550
Yes.

Unregistered guest
Hi Gromit,
Thank you very much.
I am able to conver VHS to .avi or .mpeg.
There was a lot of frmae drop if we record with more than 356X288 resolution.
My PC is P3 with 256 MB ram.
Frame drop is becaue of hardware limitation or someting else.

Also please let me know conversion of VCDs to high quality DVDs.I am using video studio.When we convert from VCD to DVD,whether quality will improve or it is same as VCDs quality.

Silver Member

Post Number: 560
Raja,

To minimise frame dropping:

1) In Device Manager, click on "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" then click on the IDE channel where your HDD is located. Click the "Advanced" tab and make sure "DMA if available" is selected.

2) If your motherboard is supplied with a CD called "Chipset Utilities" or similar, run the programme. You may find massive improvements in real-time handling.

3) Use an OLD version of capture software that is less ambitious in what it is trying to do. For example, I can capture OK with Videowave III but not Ulead VideoStudio 6.

4) Disable the indexing service (the "findfast.exe" application). If that starts during capture, it will likely just completely jam.

5) Right click and close all apps in the System Tray. I even disable my firewall (Zone Alarm) AFTER disconnecting the computer from the internet

When you have done all this, run the system performance monitor during capture and check that your CPU utilisation is steady below 90%

Re conversion VCD to DVD: no quality improvement will be seen.

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Hi Gromit,
Thank you very much.
After shutdown all unnecessary services,I am able to capture the Video with 352X576 avi format.Then these avi files were converted to SVCD mpeg-2 format with tmpgenc software.
Picture quality is good.

Can you clarify me what is "Lower field first" in mpeg conversion and how it will effect if i choos e "Higher field first"

Regards,
Raja

Unregistered guest
Hi, I have a problem with many different formats.
I am from Canada but living in Australia. I had a NTSC sony Trv 22 camera and shot a bunch of footage on it, then it got stolen (the camera). So I purchased a PAL sony trv 22. I have Adobe premier pro and have been using the PAL camera to play NTSC tapes for capture on a NTSC Premier pro program (It only captures the footage properly if you start playing the tape before you open the capture window). I exported the project to AVI and used another dvd autoring program to make a menu and final produt. I think that the DVD's I have been making should play on Ntsc dvd player in Canada (because they have played a little choppy on the players here)....ok so my two questions are
1. Does making a DVD from an AVI file (which was created from Premier pro) reduce the quality of the project
2. Using a Pal DV camera and Premier pro, what is the best way to make a NTSC watchable DVD.

I have been killing myself wrestling with all the different formats and different players and etc. any help would be appriciated.

Silver Member

Post Number: 571
jmacpherson,

1) Normally, when you capture from a DV camcorder, an .avi file (12G per hour) will be the result. This is the highest quality available from standard DV camcorders.

2) So long as you are not dropping frames during capture, DVDs made from the resulting .avi file should not be choppy. However, .avi playback on the PC might be choppy if your computer is a bit old (like mine).

3) I rather suspect that your camcorder is not playing back the NTSC file as well as you think. You should try to find somebody with an NTSC camcorder to make a comparison.

4) Once you have captured the footage onto your computer in NTSC format (your computer won't care, so it's just a matter of having the correct camcorder) then making a high-quality DVD should be trivial.

5) Ulead VideoiStudio (and I have no doubt, Premier Pro) can "render" .avi files to convert from NTSC to PAL and vice versa. If your version of Premier is locked to one standard (which may well be the case), download a copy of VideoStudio, or look on the cover of PC mags for a free copy.

Cheers.
PS: to other posters and readers: I shall be "retiring" from regular contribution shortly as I am about to start a new job which will entail a lot of travel.

Dublin man
Unregistered guest
Ok have read through most of the posts and someone asked the question I was wondering about.I bought a Sony Dcr-Hc42 in Usa and Im living in Europe.My Ac adapter has the normal Usa plug and I want to know if I snip it off and put on a normal European three pin plug will it be ok or will I end up burning the battery out.The Ac Adapter states Ac in ~100 240v 50/60hz

Thanks in advance

Boros
Unregistered guest
To Dublin man:
The adapter will do his duty and provide the correct voltage for the battery.
The Ac adapter is an electronic one that will adapt itself to the higher voltage.

Dublin man
Unregistered guest
@Boros

Cheers for clearing that up.

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Basu

Post Number: 22
HI,

Is anybody in this group have any idea how to convert dv avi NTSC file into avi PAL format. i tried in TMPGEnc , but it seems i could not figure out the setting preperly. Th default settings in TMPG gives good quality, but video is jittery and it seems stopping and playing.. which is evident from the FPS difference. And, the audio is out of sync...

So, i guess i am missing something.... anybody can help ?
If i need some more software ( if free that will be great ), Could somebody open his secret box and share...

Thanx in advance,

basu

SamfromIndia
Unregistered guest
Hi Guys,

Learnt a lot from the above posts. But I have a doubt that is creeping me now...

I live in a country where PAL is the format - I recently got a DV cam from US (NTSC format). Now my TV has a dual capability - It can play both PAL and NTSC...and from your discussion early on if I am using a computer to view my videos PAL/NTSC doesn't matter!

My question is this - If I want to burn the video into a cd - how do I do it? Do burning a video in a CD - format concious (I mean does it ask for PAL / NTSC?) If NOT, can my video be seen in any computer without a problem??

-Kindly help me in this issue.

Tks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 581
samfromIndia,

Don't worry about compatibility on your computer. PAL and NTSC - no problem. But when you try to play back on your TV - that's when you need to have the standard correct.

If you are making a VCD, the authoring programme might be able to covert - otherwise whatever your source material is, the VCD will end up the same standard.

Cheers

Unregistered guest
I have a sony dv cam and it record in NTSC, but i want to edit the video in my computer and after editing i want to send it to England, somebody could tell me how do i capture de video in my computer like a ntsc or like a pal? and after editing how do i burn it in a dvd so my friends in England could watch it???

Thirsty Fire
Unregistered guest
i have canon mv850i PAL i want to record from NTSC xbox but i have a white black video any solution.

Username: Vinzore

I have a miniDV PAL camcorder. Can I record from the "Monitor Out" composite jack of a Multisystem TV?

James CBRE
Unregistered guest
Does anyone the file format of clips captured on a Mac from a Canon ZR50 using iMovie would be? They don't have an extension on them and I want to move them to a PC so I have to add one. They play fine in Windows Media player if I use MPG but I'm not sure they are MPeg files and I want to get it right.

wankedah
Unregistered guest
i plan to get a sony vx1000 ntsc from ebay usa
im in malaysia which is pal

so there is no problem right?

i will have to Convert the NTSC file on my PC using Adobe Premier, Vegas Video , TMPGEnc, or other similar software, then render as DVD in PAL ...

that doesnt sound too bad...

thanks

Finch
Unregistered guest
Has anyone tried recording from video-output to a video/tv-incard on CPU. You should be able to get 640x480 that way. I'm gonna try and let yall know if it works well.

daniel rz.
Unregistered guest
hi!
i have a panasonic NV-GS15 camcorder (PAL) and can't playback footage i took from sony DCR-TRV10 bought in the states (NTSC). Any ideas? thanks.

Username: Lvzaza

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Hi guys,
Since it is quite on the same concern, i decided to put my message here. My problem is:
I have a mini-DV cassette with a PAL format. I would like to transfer it into a cd (avi or mpeg) or even on VHS with a NTSC format so i can watch it easily here (Canada)
I found someone who has a sony camcorder but it can handle only NTSC format. He has all the transfer kits though (firewire and stuffs)
Is there any way (I am thinking of a computer software) so that I can plug my PAL cassette into my NTSC camcorder, record it on the computer, do some kind of transformation so i can view the moovies on it ?
Thanks a lot
Riri

Username: Kimono

Hi.

I'm planning to buy a DV camera in Europe (PAL), but I want to be able to transfer old home videos, which are on NTSC VHS tapes. Does anyone know of a camera that can accept both NTSC and PAL analog input?

Thanks.

Ajit
Unregistered guest
Dear All,

Please do not do any research on this subject anymore. PAL is better or NTSC is better, it all depends where you use your camera. Buy the native format camera always. Use any good editing software for conversion (if at all required - conversion will always degrade the quality). Nearly all PAL TV/DVD player play NTSC VCD/DVD without any problem. Some minor adjestments (tuning) in the TV system (depending upon the brand) may be required at the most.

Ajit
Unregistered guest
Dear All,

Please do not do any research on this subject anymore. PAL is better or NTSC is better, it all depends where you use your camera. Buy the native format camera always. Use any good editing software for conversion (if at all required - conversion will always degrade the quality). Nearly all PAL TV/DVD player play NTSC VCD/DVD without any problem. Some minor adjestments (tuning) in the TV system (depending upon the brand) may be required at the most.

Rob1
Unregistered guest
Question: I have a recorded program in a mini-DV tape (PAL). I don't have a PAL camcorder (I have a sony PC350. I can play the tape ok but could not capture it. Used Adobe Premiere Pro, Windows Movie Maker, and Ulead something. Is there a way to capture this PAL tape using my NTSC camcorder?

Thx

Marco M
Unregistered guest
I bought a miniDV camcorder in the US two years ago. It has now stopped working and has left me with around 15 tapes that I cannot watch.

Are there any multisystem miniDV camcorders on sale in the UK that will playback my miniDV tapes.

I would really apppreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Username: Dbj

I have the same question as Rob1 and despite reading the entire thread couldn't find an answer, if anyone knows the answer I'd be grateful of a reply!

thanks

Username: Xtracked

Canada

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can make some suggestions.
Here's my scenario:
A.) Would like to transfer 16mm film to miniDV PAL.
B.) I have a 16mm projector and miniDV NTSC.

What procedure would I follow? What tools would I need?

Here's my simplest plan, but I would like better quality.
1. Project 16mm to screen & record with miniDV NTSC;
2. Firewire transfer to computer & process 3:2 pulldown;
3. Convert to PAL & record to blank miniDV.

Does this sound like it will work? Are any of the steps redundant? Any suggestions on a better way?

Cheers c(_)
;XTracked

Silver Member

Post Number: 584
Xtracked,

As your 16mm projector and your miniDV NTSC won't be synchronised, I am dubious that you will be able to make a good recording in step 1. You will likely get white horizontal lines going up or down the recording. Steps 2 and 3 look sensible, although obviously you will need a different mini DV camcorder for the PAL output stage.

If this is a valuable (e.g. family) film, I'd suggest you take it in to a professional store where they can do step 1 in a more controlled environment.

Good luck!

Gromit

Username: Amangarg

Everybody is asking their questions, I thought I should also put my question which is troubling me at the moment.
The question may have been answered earlier but I will be glad to have the answer again.
I want to buy a Sony DCR HC46 Camcorder in U.S which is NTSC only. Will I be able to play the recorded Videos directly by connecting my Camcorder to my T.V(Onida) in India (PAL).
Does it make the quality really poor if we download the movie onto laptop and then write a CD or DVD..
Please respond to me as soon as possible.

Silver Member

Post Number: 586
Aman,

If you attempt to play an NTSC DV tape back through a PAL TV, the result will be terrible. Picture will be monochrome and will lose synchronisation. Sound will be distorted.

If you record onto a Cd or DVD, it will play back fine through your computer so long as it is fast enough. Computers don't care about PAL or NTSC. But if you make it into a video DVD (i.e. same as you get regular movies on) and try to play that through your TV, same problem applies.

By the way, as i wrote in August 2005 (see above) "Ulead VideoiStudio (and I have no doubt, Premier Pro) can "render" .avi files to convert from NTSC to PAL and vice versa. If your version of Premier is locked to one standard (which may well be the case), download a copy of VideoStudio, or look on the cover of PC mags for a free copy."

Cheers.

Username: J8zel

hi all!!!
i just bought a PANASONIC NV-GS180/NV-GS180GN-S.
now, when i went to japan last year. I borrowed a japanese friend's canon digital video camera. now that i bought this camcorder, i cant watch my trip. it just says WRONG TAPE FORMAT. i looked at the manual and this what it said. = You are attempting to play back a tape section that has been recorded with a different TV system. This cassette is incompatible.-- the quetion is how do i go around playbacking my tapes? ok the japan dv tape i used says MINI DV 60ME DVM60 the pal tape i bought here in NZ says MINI DV 60ME DVM60-----whats the difference???? i know one is PAL the other is NTSC. any suggestion will be appreciated.

Silver Member

Post Number: 589
jay zel,

The two tapes are indeed identical. Tapes don't care whether you record on them using PAL or NTSC, just like your HDD doesn't care whether you format it using NTFS or FAT32. But tapes recorded on an NTSC camcorder can ONLY be played back on an NTSC model, likewise for PAL. I do not believe that any dual standard models exist.

You need to find a friend who has an NTSC camcorder (like they use in Japan), upload the footage to your PC, then use one of the standard editing programmes to render the footage into PAL. See higher up the thread for details.

Hope that helps.

Username: Email_neer

I got a Sony DCR-HC46 camcorder. The specs say 690k pixels, i suppose that means a vedio of 640x480 resolution but when i transfer my vedio's to my desktop using USB streaming i get vedio clips that show dimention of 320x240. how can i set it to 640x480 vedio?

Silver Member

Post Number: 605
Neeraj,

Transfer your video using firewire and you will get better resolution: 720x576 (PAL) or 720x480 (NTSC)

Cheers.

Username: Maxus

I'm in the UK and have made the possible mistake of buying a new NTSC camcorder -- a Panasonic AG-DVC60 -- instead of a PAL version. I bought it to try a bit of freelance ENG for news broacasters (the BBC etc).

Instead of converting, I was wondering if it is possible to 'simply' switch the camcorder from one to the other recording format. Are machines pretty much the same, but with some internal setting adjusted one way for America etc and another way for Europe? Hope someone can offer some help on this.

Username: Maxus

Post Number: 2
Or, more likely, is it just a matter of changing the firmware? Overwrite PAL firmware onto a NTSC camcorder, and you have a PAL machine, and vice versa?

Username: Cmnproducer

Waleska, GA United States

Does anyone know someone who can transfer mini DV footage from pal to ntsc mini DV for me as pro-bono or a donation to a ministry... or at low cost. We have no budget for this so this would help very much. Please email me for details.

Username: Begginer

Hi there
I have just arrived in the US to attend some seminars which I would like to record. I have a miniDV Pal camera but fotgot to bring tapes. Can I record onto miniDV NTSC tapes I get in the US? I guess so but wanted to make sure.
Thanks in advance

Silver Member

Post Number: 612
Viriato,

There's no such thing as an NTSC or PAL mini-DV tape. They are really blank when you buy them. It's like saying you can't take pictures in Japan with film you buy in the UK (assuming you still use film). Your camera records in PAL and whatever mini DV you buy will be recorded in PAL.

Cheers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us