Nikon D70 formatting problem

Username: Shutterbug7

Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Post Number: 1
I have had my Nikon D70 for over a year without any problems. Now it's telling me I need to format my memory card. I did so, to see if the error "For" would go away, but no luck. I can't take pictures until I find a solution! Help!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4791
Does the green light by the memory card slot keep blinking?

Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Post Number: 2
Berny...thanks for your reply. No, the green light does not keep blinking...it's working normally.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4794
Is it only happening on one card? Have you tried other memory cards?

I am trying to ascertain if it is the camera at fault or if you have a faulty memory card.

Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Post Number: 3
Berny, I tried my daughter's card and the same thing happened. However, I have been "experimenting". First of all, I tried once again to read my memory card and when I click on "My Computer" and the drives show up, normally drive G, my card reader, has a name something like Nikon D70 something...well, it had some "jibberish" letters and numbers. So...I tried to format the memory card on the computer and that worked...so I then put it back in the camera and it WORKED! The camera took ONE picture, and then the same thing all over again, except this time, it first flashed the letters "CHA" which is telling me that the card is not compatible...I have no clue what's going on. Nikon wants me to send the camera in, but I don't want to give up just yet. I will wait to hear from you again...thanks so much!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4797
Seems like a write problem to me. Have you tried a new memory card? If that still does not work, you may have a problem with the camera and may have to send it in. Have you updated the firmware?

Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Post Number: 4
Berny...thanks for all your help. I had tried one of my daughter's memory cards and had the same problem, but a couple days later I tried a different one of her cards, and it worked fine...so it was a problem with my card. The other day I went to the shop where I purchased the camera, and he said he's had other people with the same problem...he suggested that I format the card every time I delete the pictures from it. Now I am trying to find a reasonable place to download an image recovery software to recover the pictures from my old card. Thanks again!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4839
I'm glad it worked out.

Out of curiosity, what brand memory card are you using? There are certain brands that do not work well with the D70.

Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Post Number: 5
Berny...I am using a CompactFlash memory card by Lexar. It's a 1GB. Thanks again for all your help! For future reference, are you aware which ones do NOT work in the D70? Thanks!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4897
Wow, that is surprising! On page 192 of the manual is a list of approved and tested by Nikon for use in the D70.

Judy M.
Unregistered guest
I've had my D70 for a year and a half and had no problems until this morning when the green memory card light started blinking continuously when I turned the camera on and kept it up even when the camera was off...(I've done the upgrade and my battery is not one of the recall #s)... Charging the battery made no difference, so I'm about to try another memory card thanks to what I'm reading here. The card that's in it now is a Compact Fash 512.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5624
You are experiencing BGLOD (blinking green light of death) contact Nikon immediately and arrange for a repair. They will repair your camera for free even if it is out of warranty.

Go here
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1

Then click on service advisory.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5625
What brand compact flash are you using?

Compact Flash is a type of memory card and there are generics out there.

Richie L
Unregistered guest
Berny, thanks for this information. Mine experienced the BGLOD right before I needed to shoot an event... Good thing the D70 was just my backup... FYI, my memory card was a 1G IBM Microdrive...

Question: do you know if they would upgrade the firmware and/or clean the camera when they perform this service?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6398
Not a good idea to use a micro drive on the D70.

Causes too much heat, and I don't believe Nikon advocates its use.

When they perform the service, your camera gets a full work over and will brought up to specs as if it just came out of the factory. Cleaned and updated.

Richie L
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the info Berny! I will sell my microdrive and get another card. Any recommendations? Are the Hitachis any good?

Richie L
Unregistered guest
Berny, I gave the D70 Manual a quick glance and the DSCM and 3K4 IBM Mircrodrives are approved memory cards (Page 192). Mine is the DSCM 11000 1G manufactured by Hitachi Global for IBM.

Eitherway, just FYI. I will most likely still get a Lexar or something since they are coming down in price nowadays... still want your recommendations tho! thanks!

also, i will fill you in on my experience with Nikon with regards to my D70 repairs...

Gold Member

Post Number: 6472
Richie,
Good call on the microdrives, for some reason I remember reading that it wasn't recommended somewhere. But I still do not recommend them for the reason I stated above.

Lexar and Sandisk work well. And I do not recommend any cards higher than 1GB. I used to do it, and I filled up a 2GB card...it got corrupted and zap! All the pictures are gone. Don't put your eggs all in one basket, as the saying goes.

If you are shooting RAW then get multiple 1GB cards. If shooting at the highest quality JPEG, then I recommend multiple 512MB cards.

Username: Tooth

Belfast, Antrim United Kingdom

Hi, I have just bought a new memory card (Crucial 1Gb) and need to format it. I have misplaced my manual. I've tried looking for the manual online with no results. Can anyone tell me how to format a new card correctly? Is it automatic?
I have to take photos for a friend this evening!!
Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 6643
Place it in the camera.
There are 2 buttons on the D70 that say "Format".
They are both in red.
One on the top right button of the camera and the other is to the leftof the viewfinder.
Press them at the same time for 3 seconds.
The lcd will blink "For".
Press the 2 buttons again.
Done.

Username: Tooth

Belfast, Antrim United Kingdom

cheers Berny,

worked a treat!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6644
good to know:-)

Check the Nikon Website for a PDF manual.

Username: Eintigerchen

Hi,
I have a problem with the formatting of the microdrive of a Nikon D1X. The drive was having consistently problems with some saved files, exactly like bad sectors on a harddrive. So I used scandisk to try to fix it and also formatted the microdrive on my computer. One or both must have been a bad idea because now the camera doesn't recognize the card or formatting of the card any more. Is there any way to fix that?

thanx a lot

Username: Eintigerchen

OK, I just figured that out myself. The default was set to FAT32, but I should have used FAT. Now it works. Though now I have to check if scandisk fixed anything...

Username: Petdcat

Hi everyone, I also have a D-70 which I have had for about 2 years. I have taken well over 10000 pictures with it. For the last 4 months I have been getting the format error also as well as a cha error. I have 4 different compact flash cards and it happens on all of them . Even if I format the cards 4 times in a row. It will take 5 or 6 pictures then give format error. Remove card and reinsert and 80% of the time it will work for another 30 or so pictures. Then I also risk having gibberish instead of pictures and have to use a recovery program. Then there is the "cha" error message. Of course none of these errors are consistant. I will be going to Nikon service in Emerryville,Ca which I happen to live near and hear what they have to say.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9521
What brand CF cards are you using?

FYI, I have been using the Nikon recommended CF cards. I started gettting this erro on one of the cards. I sent it back to Sandisk...they gave me a new one and the problem went away.

Username: Sveve

So I've been using a Nikon D70 with no problems until now. I was uploading pictures onto my computer from the camera, and it suddenly stopped uploading. I disconnected the camera, and in place of the number of pictures on the display, it read CHA. When I tried to view the pictures on the camera's display, it read "card not compatible", or something close to this. And that is still the case. I tried reformatting it, and nothing happens. Any ideas?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10541
Steve,
It seems like you have a card that went bad. You may want to send it back to the manufacturer for a replacement.

Problems like this tend to happen when you use the camera to transfer your pictures specially if the camera is low on battery power. Transferring pictures by using the camera uses up a lot of battery power and I highly discourage this type of transfer. It is better to use a memory card reader to transfer your pictures to the PC.

For the CHA error, that means your card is not formatted properly and the camera will not be able to do anything with it (again a side effect of a bad transfer). If you have a memory card reader on your PC, you need to format the card through your computer. Make sure that it is formatted to FAT only. After this is done, insert it back in to your camera and do another format. This usually solves the issue, if not, your card is defective and send it back. If you use one of the cards from sandisk or any of the memory cards recommended and tested by Nikon, you can send it back to the manufaturer and have it replaced free of charge.

Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Post Number: 6
I had had the problem with my Nikon D70 camera refusing my memory card and had posted a message for help a while back. Nothing worked to fix it. Meanwhile, a SECOND card did the very same thing after about 6 months. So I then bought a SanDisk card a month or so ago and so far so good. Just a few days ago, I got an email from eCoustics...someone helping a Nikon D70 owner having a formatting problem...the CHA warning message. I don't know who sent this person the solution, but I thought it was worth a try on my two cards that had quit working. I formatted them both through my card reader, using FAT selection, and then formatted them again in my camera and would you believe..they are BOTH working perfectly...so far! THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Hope this helps someone else also!

Username: Photoma

BelgradeSerbia

Hello
I have my d70 since last year and quite happy with it. last night my card kingstone elite pro high speed 512MB just refuse to work anymore. ond the camera it was writen FOR (as is it is when you press formating) but I am sure that I havent presed two buttons. on the card I have some important pictures and I just wont to save tham. the card reader doeasent recognise it. It hapened once time before when I needed to format card.
is it posible to save pictures?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11180
Go here

http://www.kingston.com/press/...

http://www.takegreatpictures.com/HOME/Columns/Digital_Photography/Details/params/object/3693/default.aspx

Username: Photogal

I sure hope there are informed people checking this still. I need help. I've been using my D70 for a year and a half with no problems. I was shooting a wedding yesterday when my SanDisk Ultra II 1G card or the camera starting giving me problems. I had already shot about 400 frames when I got the CHA message from the camera. The battery life showed strong, but I had been deleting select photos during the shoot from the card, so I switched the battery. The card started working again and shooting, but it reset the countdown. When I went to take the photos off of the card and put them into the computer, only the photos from the new battery came off. There are two other folders on the card with corrupt files. I think those folders have the files to the rest of the wedding. I want to do everything possible to recover this sweet young bride's photos. Does anyone know of a data recovery program that would work? Any other suggestions?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11369
Jennifer,
Sorry to hear about your dillemma. The problem lies within your memory card as i ahve had a few of he SanDisk Ultra replaced due to the CHA error. SanDisk will not admit to the defect however, but I have seen it happen a lot on the 512 and the 1g cards.

You can check with Sandisk for recovery help. You can try the Sandisk Rescue Pro software. but whatever happens DO NOT TOUCH the card until a recovery is attempted.

Username: Fudgelynne

bill macey or anyone:
Was nikon able to repair and are y ou satisfied with the result? Had your camera been repaired previously?

I had the D-70 and had the same problem with memory cards.Constant cha or for errors. I bought a new D-200 and all cards worked perfectly.I returned the D-70 to Nikon and for $200.00 they fixed it.Now two weeks later I have the format error again. I will return it to Nikon everyday till they fix it correctly. I believe it is a problem with faulty components during manufacturing. $200.00 seems very high for a consumer to pay for manufacurers defects.Also the problem didnt occur untill after about a year or so.

Username: Fishlaw

I have the same problem with a two year old D70. I use Nikon reccomended Lexar media cards. The problem suddenly started with one. I did the format deal, it worked for a day and then started again. I tried my second lexar card, and have the same problem. Fortunately, I have an extended warranty, but this seems to be a common defect in this camera.

Has anyone tried to reinstall the camera operating system to solve the problem? If so, did it make any diffeence? I have read some reports that tie the problem to battery condition, etc, and I wonder if it doesn't mean that the camera operating system is corrupted and fails when battery condition is low, either due to charge or repeat operations, such as multiple photos and flash.

Stephen, I have 3 batteries for my D-70. I have tried them all. I get the problem with a fully charged battery and I dont think it is related to battery condition. If this was happening to my PC, I would reformat the hard drive and reinstall the operating system. If the problem persisted I would point to component failure. I am not sure how to do the same with a D-70. It seems like it is component failure that happens after 15 months or so.I think it will be a cold day in hell before Nikon acknowledges this problem and fixes it for free.So for now it will cost you $200.00

I did reinstall the operating system and made it through today-tested by taking about 400 photos, deleted some, reformatted the card a few times, swapped cards, and tried everything I could could think of to induce the "CHA" error, but haven't had any problems since I reinstalled the camera operating system. Only time will tell, I guess, since my problem has been intermittent.
Fortunately I purchased an extended warranty from Ritz camera, and have another year on it, so if it needs repair it will be at no cost-but it sounds like no one knows how to fix the problem anyway, short of replacing the entire unit-and I suspect they will give me a remanufactured unit which will develop the same problem anyway.

My concern re: the battery is the possibility that if the camera battery is too low, and the clock battery then fails, it may afect the operating system. (I have a vague memory, however, that this started shiortly after I tried to delete photos that were inadvertently locked, and I wonder if there isn't some error going on from trying to write tot he card due to the file locking process.)

Its either hardware or software! Why don't you try reinstalling the software, and let me know if it does anything. Follow instructions as if upgrading, and just reinstall the same version 2.0A and 2.0B.

Username: Saumilshah

Ahmedabad, Gujarat India

Greetings. I have a problem with a PNY 1GB card on my D70. I have been using this card for over 2 years now, and have taken more than 10000 photos on my D70. My D70's firmware is updated to version 2.00. Two days ago, I had taken 30 pictures on the CF card. I had also previewed the images in the camera's LCD display that very evening. Yesterday, I was trying to transfer the photos to my Mac using the usual PCMCIA reader that I have been using all the while, and no volume shows up. There is an icon indicating the presence of the PCMCIA card, along with a make and model of the card. It says SAMSUNG digital card (because it uses Samsung memory inside). Usually a new volume gets mounted, but this time, there is none. I tried the card on my Windows box, but it does not detect a removable device. I put the card back in the D70, hoping that I could do a Camera to PC transfer via USB cable, and the camera keeps showing a [CHA] error. I tried cleaning the contacts, I also pried open the card and cleaned it out with compressed air, but no avail. Could my card have died overnight? Is there a way I can recover these images from the card? BTW, I tried it with other CF cards. They work in the camera as well as the computer, and I can take photos normally.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post Number: 5
Its either the card or the camera! I experienced the problem with both of my Nikon approved cards in my D70. Nikon said the camera neeeded to be serviced-fortunately I have an extended warranty, but noted that the problem was seldom repaired by service facilities. I reloaded the operating system-I had version 2.0 and reinstalled the same version and have not had the problem since. (The Nikon service person I have been corresponding with says I am "overanalyzing" the problem, since I think power loss in the built in lithium battery is causing corruption of the operating system when the main battery runs down-nonetheless, what was a daily problem has not re-occured in three weeks since the reinstallation of the OS and I have taken over 1500 photographs.)
To diagnose your issue, I would run another card for a period of time and see if the problem re-occurs. If it doesn't, it was the card. If it occurs with another card, then try reinstalling the camera operating system. If that doesn't do it, then the camera will need to be serviced.
As for the card you "opened" most cards have lifetime warranties, nbut I doubt they will honor it if you opened the card!

Username: Saumilshah

Ahmedabad, Gujarat India

Greetings Stephen, I pretty much don't care about replacing the card under warranty at this point. I'm more keen on having the photos extracted from it. The camera runs fine with the other card, and all's well on the D70 front.

If anyone knows of some good CF Data recovery services who work on the hardware level, I'd be quite interested in them.

Username: Holysnappers180

I'm having the same issues. I want to reinstall my operating system as stephen did above. Can someone help me with this?

Post Number: 6
If you go to the nikonusa.com site and look under support for the D70 upgrade it will guide you through the process. (I have not had the CHA error in a few months since doing this, but my wife says she saw the error code-she thought it meant time to charge the batteries.) You need to dowload the firmware, expand it on your PC, then copy the files to your camera's memory card and follow the instructions for installing the A & B files through the camera's menu. It is fairly basic-takes about ten minutes.

Username: Holysnappers180

thanks for your help!!!

Post Number: 7
Let me know if it helps!

Username: Fev

Hi
I have a problem with my D70 where there is a CHA message in the panel on the top plate that flashes (indicating that the card cannot be read). I have tried 6 cards that all work in other cameras (Sandisk etc) and it is the same with them all. I have gone through the process to format the card (both through the menu, and the 2 button method), and the message remains.

It is not an intermittant problem, it is all the time, and has rendered the camera unusable. I have tried the reset button, the menu reset, taking the battery out overnight, using a freshly charged battery, switching off and on, and all to no avail. It does have the up to date firmware installed, and I tried to reinstall it, but can't because it won't recognise the memory card!

I have read that other people have experienced this problem with the D70, but Nikon UK say that it is not a common problem and want to charge me £184 for a repair - they suggested that it is a data compression board problem.

Another repairer suggested it was the card reader - bent or broken pins etc - but I can't see any problem with the pins on inspection.

Any suggestions? Do I have to send it to Nikon, and has anyone been successful in obtaining a free repair for such a fault? It's not exhibiting the 'flashing light of death' problem, which Nikon said would be fixed free of charge if it turned out to be the same component, but they didn't think so.

Help, please someone !!!!!!!!!!

Post Number: 8
The only suggestion I have is to try formatting the card in your computer, load the update (which is the same version that you have on your computer) and try reinstalling the operating system. If you can't accomplish this because the camera will not read the card, I suspect you are in for the costly repair. Since I reinstalled my O/S, I haven't seen the problem, but mine was intermitent and my camera did recognize the card after the "CHA" error, if I removed and reinserted the card. I have read articles indicating that even after the repair, the problem re-occurs, so make sure you watch out for it and keep any repair documentation in the event you have to send it back.

Username: Fev

Thanks for that, Stephen, but I have tried it and it just doesn't work because the camera won't recognise the card - most frustrating!!

Username: Esegre

Mexico, DF Mexico

HELLO I HAVE A NIKON D70 AND THE MEMORY CARD STATUS LAMP DOESNT STOP BLINKING
WHAT GOES???

Username: Mikied

I have a problem with my D70, there is a CHA message comes up and then the camera will not take any more photos.
I have tried other memory cards and still no good.
The only way I can get the camera to work is to turn it off, pull the battery out then put it back in.
Turn the camera back on and then I may get a couple of photos off before it does it again.
Does any one have any idea what this come be?

Post Number: 9
Try reloading the operating system, as noted above. Otherwise, you will have to send the camera in for service-or buy a new camera body!

Post Number: 10
I have now gone four months without the CHA error showing up after having reloaded the O/S.

Username: Bsheim

NT Australia

Last week while I was on holiday I went to download 2 days worth of photos from my D70. Out of 300 photos, 60 downloaded without a problem, the other 240 are not readable... they now say they are JXG files. Has anyone had this problem? The card is a SanDisk Ultra II 2.0GB. Any idea how to save these photos? Today I went to download photos from a SanDisk Ultra II 1.0GB card and the computer asks if I want to reformat the card... there are birthday photos on the card! I don't want to lose them! The camera still reads the photos on the second card, but not on the first. Help! I have had my D70 for almost 3 years without problems, I take an average of 2000+ photos a month.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13572
Contact Sandisk and inquire about data recovery. They should be able to extract lost data for you free fo charge.

Can you review the pics on the camera's LCD? if you can, try connecting the camera to the computer and download it in this manner.

Username: Andy1234

I have trying to photograph rowing boats on a river in bright sunlight. I am relatively new to DSLRs. I am using "auto" mode on my D70. Some of my pictures are OK but others are very overexposed. How does metering work in "auto"? Do I have to grow up and use "P" or "M" modes.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13642
You need to understand more about photography.:-)

Putting it on P or M modes will give different ways of how a picture comes out, but if you do not understand how those pictures came out the way they did, you would still be lost.

I highly recommend a book called "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

But practicing and experimenting is also a great teacher. So take pictures to your heart's content.

Username: Andy1234

I can't find an answer in the manual to what type of metering is used in "auto" mode, matrix, weighted or center. I know I can't change it in auto and it indicates matrix but if I understand matrix correctly it should not change the exposure between pitcures with almost identical composition

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13643
Metering is about light...not composition.

Username: Millerld

I have been using my D70 for three years without a problem. Now I'm getting lots of error messages -- FOR and CHA. It doesn't seem to let me format the card. I've tried new cards as well. Very similar to the problem Bill described in Aug 06. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13796
Try doing a hard reset of your camera. Check your manual on how this is done.

Another area you may want to check are the contact points around the lens mount and of course clean the area by the CF card.

3 years...depending on how you use your camera, it may be time to get it serviced...send it in for maintenance.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
If Berny's suggestion doesn't work, reformat the card in your computer and try it in the camera. You might also try re-loading the camera operating system-that did it for mine-but you need to format the card in the computer, load the OS on from the Nikon website and then install the card in the camera and use the upgrade feature-you will not really be upgrading, just reinstalling the OS. If that doesn't work you probably have a problem with the card connector!(I think Nikon has stopped using CompactFlash cards-I think the pin connectors are a problem if you remove the card frequently.)

Username: Manofoak

I would like to take a moment to thank all of you for your input. This is my first post on this subject, but since my problem is now solved, I thought you might all like to know how I fixed it.

I had the CHA message on my camera randomly one day. I took advice from many people insomach as buying new memry cards, reformatting memory cards. Then, I called Ritz camera and spoke with a technical support/sales person. We determined that theremay be a problem with the camera. After doing a bit more research, i looked into the card slot in the light and noticed that one of the pins was bent. Because I had an extended warranty, the company where I bought the camera sent the camera in to Nikon for repair in my stead AND they loaned me a D50 for an upcoming wedding I was shooting.

he Moral: Research a few things before you buy, namely, the cost and benefits of an extended warranty and your preferred Camera seller's loaner program.

Brian Aragon

Username: Dansd70

Hollywood, CA United States

I have a related question:

For some reason, my D70 has reset the image filing back to zero (actually: DSC_0001.JPG). Likely something to do with the FILE NO SEQ setting accidentally being reset to NO.

Problem is, I need to custom change the file numbering, or else the first 5000 or so pictures are going to have the same file name as those already on my computer -- and renumbering each image as I download them is not an option.

I've searched high-and-low through the camera's setting to find a MANUAL FILE NUMBERING option, but can not find anything close. Anyone have any solutions?

Thanks so much in advance.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14067
Appel,
When launching the "Nikon Transfer" program, you will see the "File Naming" box on the first dialog...click on "Change"
This will bring you to another dialog box.
Check on "change" once again, and then click ont he other "Change" button right next to it.

Follow the prompts.

Username: Jermasides

Hello Nikon Users:

i'm new. i'm new. but i gotta keep on keepin' on. i've read this informational forum, but haven't found the answer i need. the $200 option is daunting as i'm already in for $1200 with accessories and have yet to take a photo!

i have a nikon factory demo refurbished D70s right out of the box. it didn't come with a CF card, so i did my manual page 192 research to find that Lexar is compatible. i decided on and purchased a 2 GB 80x professional, and 4x256 MB 40x platinums. they were delivered today.

i'm currently trying my third card, and haven't got past the FORmat stage on any attempt. i've recharged the already full battery. i've formatted using the buttons: power on. green light. hold both buttons for over 2 seconds - FOR flashes in the frame count area. i press both buttons again - FOR flashes in both the shutter display and frame count area, then a steady FOR in the frame count area appears. that's it. nothing else. the FOR doesn't ever go away. after many attempts and aborts, i have waited over 2 hours without pressing any button on the camera. previously i had pressed the menu button a couple of times to see the non-moving hourglass. since then i avoid my new purchase, hoping the voodoo format tiki gods aren't angered.

i have also formatted using the menu/format feature. same result. am i not waiting long enough? does it take 2 hours or more for a 256 MB card to format? i can't imagine...

i find it difficult to believe that all three of my brand new cards are similarly corrupt fresh out of their mylar enclosed and protective cheque-sized boxes. the pins in the CF slot seem upright, no bends.

i can't perform stephen oulette's os reinstall suggestion as the camera doesn't read a card yet.

i'm going on tour tomorrow morning, and these purchases are dishearteningly inconvenient.

am i so new to DSLRs (and i am...i have a defunct F90, 2 FM2s, and 2 Nikkormats), that i can't even figure out the most basic of formatting operations?

any suggestions? thanks for your time crew...i think i'm going to be living in this forum. meanwhile - it looks like i'm taking film and the nikkormat with me on the trip.

jerm

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
If you can't get the card to format in the camera, you probably need to send it back to whoever you bought it from-it sounds like there is a fatal flaw with the unit. Nikon support told me if two compatible cards don't work, there is a problem with the camera and to send it in.
I just had a Lexar card fail completely-I still get the CHA error from time to time, and am going to send the camera in under my extended warranty. I think Nikon stopped using this type of card in the newer cameras. I wonder why!

hi stephen!

thanks for the speedy response. i even left the format "going" on the third lexar 40x 256 mb card overnight with no result. steady FOR in the frame count area this morning.
i don't know what the CHA is, i haven't seen that. and i notice all users on this board refer to the D70, not the D70s. maybe it's model specific, or my non-functioning camera hasn't even gotten far enough to have that error. (what does CHA stand for?)

time to contact cametacameras...

cheers,
jerm

update:

i have formatted the three cards that couldn't be formatted on the D70s with an ultra all-in-one card reader and lexmark's data recovery/format software (very handy). formatting took about 30 seconds per card. card tests on all 3 cards also reveal that there were no errors.

still - when inserted in the nikon, the green light is solid for about 25 seconds then disappears, FOR then flashes for about 15 seconds, then FOR remains solid in the frame count area. no change, and still can't take a picture.

i've contacted the sellers, since i'm within their 14 day exchange policy, but have yet to hear whether that's from purchase date, or arrival date. if it's arrival, then i'm under the wire. but as i say, i have yet to receive a response from the online store.

no wonder they ship an entire package but not a flash card for testing immediately...

Username: Manofoak

Jeremy, the only real difference from the D70 and the D70s is a UI/Software upgrade. The camera model itself should have no bearing on your problem. The CHA is a card read/write error. There are several issues with the d70/70s and that CHA message. The most infamous is bent pins, but that does not seem to be your your issue. I seriously recommend that you contact cametacamera (I assume you bought the demo on ebay). I never bought from them but this is not the first issue I have heard of with them. I have heard from several other sources that they are a disreputable organization. If you do not want to wait the 6-10 weeks for Nikon to fix your gear, do a search for "nikon bent pin repair" on ebay. There is one company that does an awesome job repairing Nikon's and several of the issues you may find at a VERY reasonable price (40% cheaper than Nikon) and they guarantee the work for 90 days. PLUS, it takes about a 14 days all told as opposed to the 6-10 weeks Nikon requires. Wish I could help more ...

Username: Rasonjowe

Hello, I just wanted to post my experience with the D50. I got the read error CHR where the number of photos should be. I read some forums and found that a physical obstruction of one of the contacts could cause that error. I looked at my SD card and there was an odd piece of broken plastic that just barely covered the contact point. With the D70 it is a bunch of fragile pins. I would inspect the card and all the pins in your camera. If it is an inconsistent issue maybe there is just some debris obstructing the contact, good luck.

Username: Albertedgar

Austin, TX USA

Can I reload the software in a D70s? Nikon shows no upgrades for the D70s, do I just follow the instructions and software for the D70? I got a CHA message yesterday. Changed cards immediately and retrieved all images, the reload is for prevention.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Yes, just reload the software. I still have the CHA error on occaison, and now think it is the pins for the memory card. Nikon apparently now uses a different card type.

Username: Drooly

I'm thankful for this discussion thread. I had two 512 cards that wouldn't work in my D70. I thought they'd gone bad. I ordered two new Sandisk Ultra II 1 gig cards and they also wouldn't work. Fortunately, I didn't have the BGLOD (Blinking Green Light of Death). I thought I was going to have to send the D70 to Nikon. Fortunately, after reading some of this thread, I tried the double button formatting thing a few times and it worked out. I now have a functional D70 again. Yay!
I still don't understand why I had the problem in the first place, but after further reading of this discussion thread even that may be explained. Yay, Ecoustics and Yay for those who chose to assist in the enlightenment.

I spoke/wrote too soon. The problem has returned and I haven't been able to fix it again. Phooey. The manual suggests checking the contacts and refers the user to page 2, which has nothing there about how to do that. Again, phooey. I'll study the discussion thread further. Hope springs eternal...sorta.

Username: Edakiss

I too just experienced the ERR and CHA on my camera (in place of where the number of pictures taken is usually displayed).

Over the weekend I was taking pictures and I noticed I had a black speck in my pictures. So i inspected the lens and the body and then I realized that my camera wasnt taking pictures there was an black error screen saying something along the lines of CARD IS NOT FORMATTED. and repeatedly off and on for the rest of the day it would take pics, then say ERR, take a few more, then it would say CHA.

Well a day or so later I went ahead and attached the USB cord to my camera and then the computer and it uploaded successfully, however I think I made the mistake of deleting the files through the computer (while the cam was still hooked up). After I disconnected the camera I went to view the pics to see if it did this and it did but all the pics that were left on my camera were botched and damaged. I think got a message on my camera to say if that I need to format the card. I went ahead and did it, it of course erased all of the cards but now on up top where the number of images that i've taken usually is displayed is a "1.0" with a small K and it changes between that and a r0.7 or a 5,6, or 7. How do I change this? Or what is going on?

I went ahead and snapped some aimless pics, I didn't have an error--I went ahead and popped the CF card into a reader and attached it to the computer that way and it read them..

Do i have anything to worry about??

Thanks!!!!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I had this problem on and off for a while-always seemed to go away when I removed and reinstalled the card. The problem recently became more persistent, so I sent the camera to LeZot Camera Repair (www.lezot.com)-for $125 they fixed the damaged CF card pins (and cleaned the CCD)-I also replaced the CF card since the old one showed some damage near the pin holes (and they are so cheap now).
The problem seems to be cured, at least until the pins get damaged again. I have always been very careful installing and removing the card, and probably have only had the card out a hundred times or so since I bought the camera-so I suspect it may happen again. LeZot indicated they see this issue a lot with the D70. Probably why Nikon now uses the SD card.

I haven't experienced the 'black speck' you mentioned.
My D70 just got odder and odder, periodically displaying either the 'CHA' or 'FOR' error messages and not recording the images to the memory cards; no blinking green light of death (BGLOD). Early on, I could reformat the cards and it would work, but after a while there was nothing I could do to make it work. I even bought brand new CF cards and they worked...for about 5 shots, then it didn't work at all.
I began an email dialog with Nikon reps. They were very tight mouthed about the situation.
I'd already learned that many had run into the same problem with their D70 that I had. The Nikon reps would mainly only say that I should send in the camera body. I did, because it was just a paperweight as it was. Just as I thought, the Nikon service center in El Segundo mailed me a letter telling me that I needed to fork over $200+ bucks for the repair. I made a phone call to Nikon about this, saying that I wasn't going to pay for the repair. I also sent another email to Nikon telling them that my camera wasn't even 4 years old; that I'd taken good care of it; that my family had bought Nikon cameras since the early '60s and that this Nikon D70 was going to be the last Nikon I bought if they didn't take care of the repair cost. A couple of weeks later I got the camera body back...repaired. No charge. My feeling is that Nikon should eat the cost of this specific problem because Nikon products are supposed to last long and well. I see that Nikon no longer offers cameras that use CF sized flash memory cards. Maybe that was at least part of the problem.
Good luck.

Username: Learner09

D70 will exhibit Format Error message if the aperture ring is moved from the locked position. There is a small black button on the left side of the camera and on the aperture adjustment ring. For automatic use this must be in the locked position.

Username: Lavidalerie

I'm in the process of upgrading the firmware on my D70 but it has been displaying PG UP on the top display for over an hour. I gave up and turned it off then on and suprise suprise the camera is completly dead, no display. I'm really hoping that someone will have some ideas ?

Silver Member
Username: Lomna

Sac, Calif U.S.A

Post Number: 883
this thread is full of info about d70. Thanks everyone

Username: Dadot

I had the same problem just now actually.
it said "CHA" at first, then started blinking "For"

So, I went into the menu of the camera.
And under the very last button on the menu list to the left, i scrolled doen and found an entry called "format"
and it asked me, "format the card? or not"

So i hit format, and it workes just fine now. Simplest way to fix it. However, I really do hope it doesn't come back :D

best,
dasha

Username: Gcwiswell

I have a Nikon D70 and years ago a gentlemen gave me a simple solution for when the EE signal comes on, I do not remember what causes this peoblem. Can you please advis eme?

Username: Iceman4

Swanzey, NH

I am also experiencing the FOR and CHA codes on my D70. I purchased this used camera, (it was new in 2004), in 2008. I have had those codes before, but simply, turned the camera off, ejected the card and reinserted the card and the code disappeared. Recently with a 4 GB Sandisk Ultra card, this operation has resulted in the lose of all previous pic. and the problem has become more persistent. I now upload pics after every shooting session to avoid losing them. The counter now shows that I have only 450 images on the 4 GB card. I have found some comfort in learning that I'm not alone when it comes to this problem, which has become very frustrating. I didn't see much said about lost pics. It's my understanding, that if you format a CF all previous info will be lost. CF are so inexpensive now that I buy a new one each time, with hopes that I can retrieve my originals when I want them.
This forum has been informative, but confusing. What should the problem be attributed to: the camera, firmware or CF's. Should I scrap the D70 and switch to a different brand of camera? I just purchased a Nikon specific, Metz flash unit.

Username: Mhonfycom

United Kingd...

John, Nikon is good... It seems D70 and D70s suffer from this CHA problem. I am also looking for solution, and found some useful information.
I have D700 and D70s. (D700 has no error)
When CHA comes I switch off the D70s, and eject the card, then insert it again.. switch on the camera and is solves the problem in 99%.
I reckon a contact error should cause the problem. Oxidation.. probably.
I broke apart my d70s, and found there were NO PIN BENT.. also checked the soldering at each pin - fine.. it should be surface oxidation on the pins - i reckon. So I'm going to eject and insert several times a CF card.. and let see if it helps.
Also noticed if I push the CF card well in, to make sure get perfect connection I had less CHA message..
Taking sports photos, so I had opportunity the check if I got CHA message while taking hundreds of photos a day..

ps cool this forum is still alive!
ps2: When I repaired my D70s, I found clean motherboard, perfect sealing.. even after heavy rain, when my d70s was totally wet.. so thumbs up for the Nikon d70s!

Marton
mHonfy.com

Username: Expiali

I have been experiencing the same issue with my D70 since 2008 and have gone through all the work arounds/tips/tests mentioned above. Have also sent it to Nikon and my third-party warranty provider multiple times. Thanks very much for documenting all of this ... I'm sure it will help me achieve final resolution with this issue.

Username: Laceylyn77

Love this thread. I've been having the same problem for years and always thought it was that the cards got 'old'.

Also, now for some reason, when I use my D70 and upload my pictures (using the camera), the photos come in at the smalles sizes.Normally they would load in at around 24X36 or something like that. Now I'm lucky if i get a 5X7. This is especially not good for profesional shoots. I have a wedding in 2 weeks. Hopefully someone can suggest something for me.

On a slightly different note..with all the problems above and a few years of dealing with this for all of you, should I just bag the memory cards and camera and get a new set (not ideal due to no funds), or should I attempt to work with Nikon, Lexar, and Sandisk to get replcement or repairs??

Username: Popcornsally

We have been having this problem for over a year. I read and tried all the above.....What worked was upgrading the D70 firmware. The address below gives detailed instructions for this.

http://www.nikonusa.com/software/firmware/D70/D70fw20WIN.pdf
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us