8mm vs Hi8

Anonymous
Hi~
What is the difference between 8mm and Hi8 camcorders? I am looking to buy a new camcorder, but don't know which kind I should purchase! Help! :)

8mm is the old analog video format which only has about 240 lines of resolution. Hi8 are the next step up of analog camcorders with a higher resolution around 400 lines. The newest format are the minidv's which boast about 500-520 lines of resolution. So if you want the best picture quality, go with minidv. I have been researching this and will be purchasing a minidv in the next 2 weeks. Email me if you have any questions.

Hello RayBan¡
Have you got any idea if I can play my 8mm. tapes from my sony I bouth 8 years ago on a newer hi8 camera?
Thanks for any answer you can give me.

My Sony Handycam of 8 years has broke as well. Will the Sony MP120 8mm tapes play in the New Hi8 cameras?
Circuit City stated I have to purchase a 500.00 dollar Sony TRV350 to play the old tapes.
Crutchfield says they play in anything but a MiniDv.
Whats the truth?

Derek
The 350 will play 8mm tapes. See the last few posts in Home > Discussions > BBS > Home Video > Camcorders > Mini DV vs. Digital 8

Hello,

Can you please help? I need to know if I can play my 8mm tapes from my Cannon I bouth 8 years ago on a newer Sony Hi8 camera?
Thanks for any answer you can give me.
Regareds,
Rod

Derek
Yes as long as it's not a TRV250.

Jackson
I have an Sony analog 8mm camcorder. 8mm tapes seem to be getting harder to find. Can I use Hi8 tapes instead?

Thanks.

Derek
Yes.

Michael H.
I have a 8mm Hitachi VM-E510A can I use Hi8

Please let me know
Thank You

vidkid
8mm is mono, hi8 is stereo, dig8 is digital, dig8 can play all formats. same size tapes. the dig8 records 2x the speed. so a 120min hi8 tape will only be 60 min if used in a dig8 cam. just thought I would clear that up.

sony have not made a 8mm unit for a while now
no point in Hi8 either, go for D8 or DV
I now use a TRV 230E D8 (PAL), this is plugged into my PC, very nice for my large collection
of Hi8 tapes, also this unit does A to DV
and dv to A. NOT ALL OF THE D8 camcorders do
this though.

one more thing NOT all Hi8 are HIFI stereo.

I have been transferring my old Hi8 tapes from my Hitach VM -H57E thru my new sony DV TRV22 to my PC. Unfortunately my Hitach has just died and I don't want to pay to fix it. What would be the best wat to transfer the remaining tapes - without paying someone to do it

dahas
Unregistered guest
I'm using a Dazzle DVC80 and Studion 9 to capture from a 8mm camcorder. The movie quality is not really good. I was wondering if purchasing the movie box from Pinnacle will give a better result as it has better resolution and users a faster USB2. Can anybody help me ?

tks

Anonymous

dahas,

I tried a Pinnacle capture card bundled with their Studio 8 software. I couldn't get good quality mpeg files using it.

I bought an ADS Instant DVD capture box last month and am EXTREMELY pleased with the quality of it's mpeg encoding. It uses a hardware encoder so will work well with 1GHz CPUs; transfers to your computer via USB 2.0.

The ADS can capture full DVD resolution at up to 15mb/sec so picture quality is excellent. It has composite and S-Video input. I got mine on sale at Circuit City for $80.

Unregistered guest
need help please!!!
my canovision 8 e65 has not worked in years.
so long in fact we cant remeber what is on some of the tapes. Kids are all grone now and we wont to view the tapes again. what type of an vhs adapter do i need. have been looking on line nothing seems to make sence. I have seen 8mm c tapes to vhs dont know if this is what we need?
looking at the pictures it looks to big for these little tape i have.(sony mp120 and tdk hs30)
any help at all would be wonderfull.

Unregistered guest
Help.. same tyype of Q: im afraid !!

I have 8mm tapes from my old sanyo Camera.
If I buy a cheap Hi8 camera can I play the tapes?

regards

Unregistered guest
I have a VHS-C Panasonic play cartridge that allows me to insert my VHS-C tapes into a VHS tape that plays directly in my VHS player. Is there something similar with Sony High8 Digital 8?

Unregistered guest
Have a Sharp 8mm that is dying and is 6 years old. have a Panasonic dv but want to get something to run my 31 tapes of 8mm. Have purchased a Samsung model L906. Will it work?.... Frank

SoulRebel
Unregistered guest
if anyone has an answer? I want to know what would be the best camera type of camera to buy for an up and coming filmmaker. i currently use miniDV for school but i heard that Hi8 are very good for a beginning filmmaker. someone help!

Cory
Unregistered guest
Well, as you can see in the above posts (esp. RayBan's post), Hi8 is not as high in resolution as miniDV, but it is better than plain old 8mm. As a beginning filmmaker, you can choose based on how you want your film to look. Hi8 is plenty good enough for my home movies, and my Samsung Hi8 SC-W71 is awesome. It will play and record plain old 8mm tapes or Hi8 tapes, and the Hi8 recordings do seem to be better in quality and color. I haven't even tried to film in Hi8 on a miniDV tape, so I don't know if that will work.

As for a Hi8 to VHS adapter tape, that's not possible, as 8mm film is a different format than VHS. You can usually pipe your camera through the RCA jacks on a VHS VCR and dub them over to VHS easily though. I either do that (8mm to VHS) or use my PC video capture card and S-video output on the camera to make DVDs with my DVD burner.

Unregistered guest
I have more than 20 8mm tapes the canon camera is gone. What is the best way to putin a VHS tape.

Unregistered guest
I am using a Sony DCR TRV260 camcorder with Maxell GX-MP 8mm tapes. Can i also use TDK Hi8 MP tapes? I am trying to watch a friends on my camera and it appears like nothing is on the tape.

Unregistered guest
Hi - Would anyone know what is the first thing I need to look at in order to convert my Hi8 tape to a dvd. I have a laptop (1.8ghz pent M/512m/60gig) w/ a dvd burner. I here there's a video analog capture card that I need but is that what I really need, will it even be compatible w/ my laptop? I'd appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

shashank
Unregistered guest
digital 8 is the latest version or hi8latest? which can be directly attached to PS thru USB sony handycam

nicco
Unregistered guest
I have older "8" tapes and need to transfer to DVD. The camera is long gone. How can I transfer them? My computer has DVD-R capability, but can't figure out how to get the movies there without a camera. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Anonymous

I have a DCR TRV260, in regard to vidkid's post about dig8 playing all formats of 8mm tapes is incorrect - if it was previously recorded in analog format 8mm or hi8 - the dig8 camera will not play the those recorded in that format.

Unregistered guest
Can a Hi8 taped be played back on a Sanyo 8mm video camcorder model VM-RZ1 or a SONY Video 8 video casset player model EV-P10u?

Unregistered guest
CLARIFICATION - Can a Hi8 taped (that was recorded on a Hi8 device in Hi8) be played back on a Sanyo 8mm video camcorder model VM-RZ1 or a SONY Video 8 video casset player model EV-P10u?

Anonymous

hi i have my friends camera and i dont know how to put the videos onto my computer so that i can editg them its a digital 8 sony handycam

Unregistered guest
I have videos on Hi8 tapes, and only have access to 8mm camera. Terrible playback - any suggestions on what to do? I am transferring to my PC, but have to of course have way to play Hi8's correctly.

Anonymous

You may be able to get some help for Hi8 to DVD transfer from the following link.

http://www.geocities.com/ana_digi_service/

Davidf
Unregistered guest
I am Converting old Sony 8mm to DVD.
My old Sony handycam died and the tapes are now 12 yrs old. The players are expensive so the cheapest way was to buy a Digital 8 handycam which can play back the old analogue tapes. A VCR type player would cost more.
I use the firewire port to save to my computer first then Author and burn to DVD.
I am using Ulead movie factory 2 SE but the quality of the encoding is not all that good.
I am about to try the pinnacle products.
I am trying to avoid the expense of a capture card.
Hope this helps.
Just confirming that Digital 8 camcorders DO play the old 8mm tapes.

Username: Mnbelk

Post Number: 1
Hi, I am trying to view one of my old recordings which is on a old sony 8mm video cassete on my sony DCR TRV130. For some reason I cannot get it to work. Can I view a 8mm video cassette on this camcorder?

Anonymous

I checked the manuals of virtually every consumer Digital8 camera Sony makes and found that they will all play back old 8mm and Hi8 tapes with the exception of the following models...

DCR-TRV130
DCR-TRV140
DCR-TRV150
DCR-TRV250
DCR-TRV260
DCR-TRV280

So if you want to go Digital8 but still play back your old tapes, avoid the above models.

Anonymous

I need to convert my old 8mm to DVD. Can a Hitatchi VM-H37 (Hi8) play these old tapes? (I live too far away from it to go and try before buying.)

Unregistered guest
Does anyone have a 8mm/hi8 camcorder for sale? I have old tapes and my old camera (canon e61) died.
Redd
amersilly@hotmail.com

Username: T_tuso

Carrollton, TX USA

I have a an Hi8 tape recorded on a sony camcorder. I am trying to playback this tape on a sony ,Video8 xr. (ccd-TRV13e). I am not getting an picture nor sound? Could this be a compatibility issue??

Unregistered guest
A warning for those who are buying Digi 8 cameras to play back old analogue tapes: You will not be able to retrieve the date and time from the analogue recordings. The only way to do that, that I can see, is to buy an analogue camcorder (e.g. CCD TRV 438) and do the playback. If you want to convert the signal to digital than you need another digital camera that has got an AV to DV capability or a convertor card (e.g. Pinnacle, etc).
Comments are welcome.

Inkjet
Unregistered guest
Does a 8mm camcorder play hi8 tapes? I'm tring to play hi 8 tapes in a 8mm camcorder but I get no picture or sound.

questions
Unregistered guest
Is there any way to watch a camcorder sony 8mm mp120 tape without having the camcorder anymore. I have a new camcorder that has different tapes it came with a device to put the tape into it and put it into your vcr to watch it do you know of anything like that for the sony 8mm mp120 tapes?

Username: Rickhog

England

Can I play HI8 tapes on an 8mm camera???

Username: Buflo

I have a rca pro 8 analog camcorder and the tape carriage does not reject fully...comes 1/2 up and then goes back down.Using direct power and battery power. Could u help we with a way to eject carriage and tape..

thanks
frank

Post Number: 2
Been told that u can not however u can use HI 8 in a 8mm to record.

frank

mypricelessdvd
Unregistered guest
visit www.mypricelessdvd.com to convert camcorder and vcr tapes to dvd

Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung SCL906 hi8 camcorder. It has an S-video out, and an A/V out. The problem is that the only hookup i have on my computer is usb. How can I download, my camcorder onto the computer with the components I have?

Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung SCL906 hi8 camcorder. It has an S-video out, and an A/V out. The problem is that the only hookup I have on my computer is usb. How can I download, my camcorder onto the computer with the components I have?

Unregistered guest
I transferred some tapes from one camcorder to another and the playback is fast speed. What might be the cause, and is there a solution? I'm using Hi8/8mm and the tape was recorded on the same type of camcorder.

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony Hi8 camcorder and want to transfer to DVD or even just transfer to my HP computer but only comes up blank screen. I'm using Dazzle Pinnacle DVC90 transfer system but not working. I bought a S-Video cable and also have A/V out cable hooked up. Any suggestions? Is it even possible with my old camcorder or do I need a transfer box too? Thank you in advance!!!

lmross
Unregistered guest
How do you tranfer from Sony Camcorder to vhs tape?

Post Number: 3
Just plug in ur camcorder to ur vcr and record directly..

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony Digi 8 camcorder. Can I record from the camcorder straight to my dvd recorder or do I have to transfer to my computer and then burn to a cd. My computer is cd-r drive!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3624
Yes you can record direct to the DVD recorder.

Unregistered guest
Thanks Berny, thats great. Now can I edit my dvd disk on my computer. My dvd is both minus and plus rw?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3635
We are talking about a stand alone commercial dvd recorder unit, right?

Now if you want to edit your dvd, you still have to transfer the footage onto your hard drive by copying the DVD and use a decent editing software.

Unregistered guest
Hi Berny, yes its a stand alone dvd recorder. Now my computer tells me the D drive is dvd, but when I put in my dvd disk it reverts to a cd drive?? Maybe I need to buy a seperate dvd drive for my computer, will have to check it out. I have "Moviemaker" editing software!!

Unregistered guest
Hi Berny, I have contacted my local computer shop and they tell me my dvd recorder cannot be compatible with any computer, that any disks from a dvd recorder will not be readable on any computer. So, now I need to get a firewire card and a dvd burner for the computer and copy my video directly from camcorder to computer, burn to dvd and then i can play it on my dvd recorder machine. Does this make sense to you???? Thanks, I have you annoyed but i'm am genuinely a learner at all this!! Thanks again, really appreciated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3683
read up on this, it might help you get to the right direction
http://dvr.about.com/od/dvdrecorders/ht/htcamtodvd.htm

Anonymous

I would like to transfer 8mm and Hi8 tapes to my computer for editing and then burn to DVD. My Hi8 Sharpe Viewcam only has RCA jacks which would be fine if I wanted to transfer to VHS. My computer is a Sony Vaio which has an iLink port. Is there any type of adapter to plug the RCA jacks into, which will allow me to use a firewire? If no adapter exists, are my only options either to purchase a digital 8 camcorder or have them professionally done? If I end up having to go to a professional, will I be able to upload the end product DVD, edit, and then make copies? Any advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Hi, i have an RCA PRO8, but it's having problems. Like it doesn't play in color anymore, i can't play back, and when i try to record i can't because the screen keeps blinking on and off. Also, the tape ejector keeps opening and closing. So can somebody help me fix it? Thank you!

anon_e_mous
Unregistered guest
Pinnacle has an analaog capture device but it connects to a USB 2.0 port instead of a firewire. you can get the dazzle digital video creator 85. you can go to their webstie at:
http://www.pinnaclesys.com

Unregistered guest
I recently acquired a Sony EV-A80 player/recorder from Japan. To try it out, I attempted to play back a prerecorded movie that is recorded in Hi-Fi stereo. The picture looks like the tracking is way off and could not be corrected. Is this because a Hi-Fi stereo movie cannot be played in an analog machine like the EV-A80 or is there a problem with my machine. Otherwise, the EV-A80 appears to be in good-working order. At the moment I don't have any analog tapes to try in it. Any information and/or advice would be appreciated. I am new to video 8.

Unregistered guest
I have a Canon 8mm video camcorder "hi8" I cannot figure out how to attach it to the TV to view the film I have recorded...can you help? I cannot find my owner's manual

Anonymous

is it possible to use a VHS-C adapter with a 8mm mp120 ?

Unregistered guest
OK, let me first apologize for my confusion. I've read through all the posts and made my best attempt to decipher them, but alas I am at square one...

The situation is this: My Sony CCD-TRV85 (Hi8) just died and I have some 30-40 tapes which I'd like to preserve.

(1) Should I buy a new Hi8 camera to be consistent with the old tapes, even though there is new technology that is (likely) better (i.e Digital8, MiniDV, etc.)?

(2) I understand that the Digital8 cameras can play Hi8. If I buy a Digital8, can I burn DVDs through my computer of the old tapes (and new ones, of course) with the accessories included with the camera? Or, do I have to buy some type of converter.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.
Drew

Unregistered guest
friends i have sony handy cam vdo8 now it is died so can i play back all my old cassettes in one of these models plz help i m getting it secondhand from someone....Sony CCD-TR810E Pal or SONY dcr-Trv47E Pal or SONY TRV49E or SONY CCD-TRV46E or SONY CCD-TR317E VDO8 plz help i m going to decide to buy one of these soon.so plz tell me will any of these model will play my 10 years old vdo8 cassttes? thanking u in advance........

udipt18@hotmail.com

Username: Big_al

Penicuik, Midlothian Scotland

Post Number: 6
I still use my Hi8 camera - it's a Sony, and I am relatively pleased with the quality. To maximize it's quality, I use IXOS S-video and gold-plater audio connectors to my PC where I do video editing. Also, I use Fuji ME (metal evaporated)cassettes for recording. Does this then push the limit of Hi8, and susequently match Mini DV pretty close?

Unregistered guest
i have a samsung scl906 and was wondering how i would get the still pictures on my computer?

Unregistered guest
i have a samsung scl906 and was wondering how i would get the still pictures on my computer?

kiidgocrazy@aol.com

Username: Witiashby

Whangarei, Northland New Zealand

Can someone point me in the right direction to download a manual for a sony hi8 video recorder and editor been looking for a model sony ev-s1000
cant seem to find one anyware on the net
cheers Witi

rak11
Unregistered guest
Hi, i got a sony digital8 270e handycam for christmas, and im not sure how to get the videos onto my computer. i got a picture package with it, i tried using that and you cant save it without some weird effects, i also tried using windows movie maker, but the quality saves terrible...
can anybody help me on how to get them onto my computer?????

Anonymous

Looks like I'm not alone in my quest to convert 8mm and Hi8 tapes to DVD. Useful tidbits I've found include:
#1 The only video cassette adaptor made adapts a VHS-C tape (which is smaller) into a standard VHS "box" for insertion into a standard video player. No such adaptor exists for 8mm, Hi8, mini-DV or others - something to do with the spindles not engaging. Someone should make one, they could sell a ton, judging from the posts here.
#2 A few people have had problems connecting their cameras to their VCR's to transfer movies from the camera tape to a standard VHS tape (or DVD). The key here usually is that the VCR must be set to "AV" mode instead of the "regular" mode that it is normally in. The manual will tell you this, but many of us have long since lost the manual.

That is what I've learned so far -- I'm just trying to put my old tapes on DVD (or just LOOK at them without the camera working), but there seems to be much confusion on DVD formats, esp. pertaining to editing and manipulating on computer. I'll be following the discussion, and looking for wisdom !! Thanks, all

Unregistered guest
Most people are talking about having 8mm cassettes to convert. I have 8mm film (1961) on 4 inch reels. How do I convert these reels since you cannot put them into an analog Sony camcorder? I would like to convert them myself if possible. Thanks

Unregistered guest
Hi I bought a DCR TRV 480 (sony) after researching I thought alot,well it does play back all my old 8 mm tapes the reason I needed one. What I can't do is record the old tapes now. I wanted to actually put all tapes for Grandma on VHS (all she has)Has someone else had problem getting them to record? I have a symphonic VCR could it be the VCR? It is working and playing tapes, so does this model only view but not copy the old 8mm's??? HELP
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us