Olympus xd card formatting help please

Username: Bubonico

Post Number: 1
I have an Olympus c-50 zoom camera. I purchased a 512 mb xd memory card for it. When I tried to format it on the camera the camera gave a card error. I returned the card for another one, but the 2nd card did the same thing. I tried formatting the card on my computer but the computer said it couldn't format the card. Does anybody know how to format these cards? Thanks for you help

Anonymous

Hey,
This will tell you how cards become corrupted.
http://www.digicamhelp.com/how-memory-cards-become-corrupted/index.htm

The only way to keep your card error - free is goto
http://www.artplus.hr/adapps/eng/downloads.htm

Download aperase.exe and erase data on your card.
But if you have some files on it then download photorec.exe which is a recovery software. Then erase data on the card.
Hope this info was useful

Thanks
SRK

Ira
Unregistered guest
I have Olympus Camedia C-740 and purchased 1GB XD card. The camera can not format this new card and returns "card error" message. Aperase.exe takes action on the card and formats it through PC but in camera card still doesn't work.
Does anybody know the solution??? Thanks in advance!

justsomeone
Unregistered guest
you need a firmware update in order to enable the camera to read cards over 256mb

Jordanhui
Unregistered guest
Hi SRK,

you info really helps. Thanks a lot.

Jordan

Username: Ijoy

I have an Olympus Camedia C-370 zoom camera. I purchased a 64MB xd memory card for it. When I tried to format it by using a memory card reader, the process failed and the camera gave a "card error". I tried formatting the card on my computer but the computer couldn't read the card. It said that there is no disk in the drive.The same thing still happen after I erase the data using Aperase.exe. Does anybody know how the solution? I will really appreciate your help!!!

Username: Memo

People,

Maybe this can help.....I know for a fact that you should try all the different methods mentioned in this site and others that involve using your computer and/or software or your camera. After none of these methods work for you, I would definitely attempt to go to a store and use another camera. I had been trying to format my 256mb XD card and nothing worked. I had tried all different types of online software mentioned on different panels, so the last option was to use another camera and it workd perfectly. I guess it allocates the correct DCMI folder that your Olympus will recognize. Another suggestion would be to bookmark and read as many discussion panels so that you can try as many methods as possible. I'm back taking pictures again. Thanks to all the people who take their time to help others.

M

Unregistered guest
I have an Olympus C-740 and just recently I tried turning it on and I get a message that says - "power off or Format card" it will not let me take pictures and the occaisional time it does my computer and camera shops can not download the pictures. I have tried a variety of cards ranging in size from 16MB - 256MB they have all worked in the past and even worked last week. I am away on vacation and would love to use the camera for close ups, can anyone suggest anything to fix my camera please????
Thanks,
Alison.

Username: Hrae98

HELP!!! I went to Maui with my new Olympus SP-500UZ and new 1GB XD card. The card never asked me to format and so I didn't:-( It did however allow me to take 150ish pictures and didn't ask me to format until I got home and tried to download my pics. Now it won't do anything, but ask me to power off or format (but of course indicates if I format I will erase all!)

Any suggestions on how to retrieve my pics before formatting? I hope I am not asking a question that has already been addressed. Thank you so very much. I really want my pics of my daughter's first trip to Hawaii.

bigfly22
Unregistered guest
I just went to Olympus' website due the same thing happening to me. In my case, I have a C-50 zoom. The camera was never intended to be able to use the larger cards (512 MB and above). According to their website, I have to send it one of two locations to have the firmware updated so I can use the new card. Does anyone have this so-called firmware update?

Unregistered guest
I have a similar problem but different. My xd 512mb card works fine in camera, but mac or pc won't read card with my card reader ($5 ebay black model), but will read with a friends card reader ($5 ebay silver model). A message appears saying disk needs to be formatted or similar. But my other xd card 32mb works fine in camera and can be read via black card reader on my pc. The 32mb card was brand new from plastic when I tried it in card reader. I've tried aperase with 512mb card but still no luck with card reader, but works fine in camera (Olympus mju digital 500). Any ideas? thank you

Boomslang
Unregistered guest
I Have a Olympus C-50 camera thats one of the first 5 Meg cameras out. I bought a 512 xd card but it wouldn't work(error,format card). I had to send it to olympus to get a firmware update because they don't offer it online. You have to have an original receipt showing you bought a 512 xd card and they will do it for free, if you have no receipt then you will be charged $39.99. The only catch is they will only upgrade the camera for the size xd card that is on the receipt.Example: I borrowed a receipt from a friend who bought a xd 512 m chip so they only firmed it to a 512xd, it will not work with a 1gb xd card.That means I am stuck with 512 and lower capacity XD cards .I sent the camera in on a monday (i paid freight) and they paid freight back and received it the next monday.(7day turnaround).
Great service but should still should offer an online firmware update.Could they not foresee that higher capacity cards were going to come out.

Username: Wesunderwood

Orlando, FL USA

NOTICE (USE/BUY FUJI CAMERAS TO FORMAT, IT WORKS)
-I learned of this in the last forum entry:
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-8389.html
-I think Olympus is aware of this bad problem, because of the "run-around" they give everybody:
-----------------------------------------------

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Olympus Imaging Australia.

Your request and comments were forwared to a technician, the technician is unaware to why this is occuring. The problem you are describing could be a fault with your camera or card. We recommend that it be inspected by a technician.

Olympus has repairers in the following areas.

Sydney
Olympus Australia
82 Waterloo Rd
North Ryde, NSW 2113
1300 659 678
Open 9-5pm Mon-Fri

Perth
Camera repairs Morley
Suite 10, 3 Bishop St
Morley, WA 6062
08 9276 2111
Open 9-5pm Mon-Fri

Brisbane
Anderson Camera repairs
14 Merritt St
Capalaba, QLD 4157
07 3245 6444
Open 9-5pm Mon-Fri

If your camera is under warranty please also include a copy of your proof of purchase.
When sending your camera in please include contact details and a brief fault description.

For further service and repair enquiries please send emails to: camerarepairs@olympusimaging.com.au

If you have any further inquiries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Ante Badzim
Customer Service Representative
Consumer Products Group
Olympus Imaging
1300 659 678
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
04/04/2006 01:24 AM
To <rachelle.matthews@olympusimaging.com.au>
cc <help@olympusimaging.com.au>
Subject RE: Olympus Cameras will not format memory cards - Fuji Cameras will - WHY?

Rachelle,

I bought an Olympus C-765 and use xD memory cards.

I just got off of the phone with Fuji and only one of their Tech Support guys knew of this trick - buy "zapped" (static electricity) xD memory cards from eBay cheap and fix (format) them in any Fuji camera since none of the Olympus camera owners can't fix (format) them.

Olympus camera says "corrupted memory" - Fuji camera does not complain but will format the xD memory!

WHY this phenomenon?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, April 03, 2006 3:46 AM
To: Underwood, Wes
Subject: Re: Olympus Cameras will not format memory cards - Fuji Cameras will - WHY?

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Olympus Imaging Australia.

Can you please provide more information as to which camera and which cards you are using.

If you have any further inquiries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Rachelle Matthews
Olympus Imaging Australia Pty. Ltd.
Customer Service
Telephone: 1300 659 678

To: help@olympusimaging.com.au
cc
Subject Olympus Cameras will not format memory cards - Fuji Cameras will - WHY?

Tech Support

- I just bought a used camera from a friend and he gave $500 in "corrupted" memory cards. I found out on the net (forums) that a Fuji Camera would format the cards.

- I went to Circuit City and tried to format in a new Olympus camera and failed. Fuji camera formatted my 64/128/256/512 memory cards!

- Why?

Thanks,
Wes Underwood

Username: Nvkhambekar

I could not find the Olympus C740 firmware upgrade that enables 1GB xD card. (My problem is same as one reported by "Ira", in this thread. I tried to find out firmware as suggested by "justsomeone" but could not get one) Could anybody post link for the firmware upgrade. Thanks in advance.

Username: Xsacto

the type M and type H XD cards are pain in the ***. Before with the standard type i had no problems. I bought a 1 gb type card i've been using it for 1 month smoothly until i used a card reader the voila it got corrupted so watch out also for those card readers. you should use the camera to transfer you data, it's much safer.
Now i manage to format the card in my olympus c 770 but i guess that it did more damage than good. Any suggestion?

Username: Gatrnol

I purchased an Olympus 720SW and a 1GB H Olympus card. I took 150 underwater pics during an excursion on a recent cruise. I can SEE them (scroll through) on the camera, and was able to see them ONCE when I connected the camera to the computer. My computer has an XD reader, so I tried to use that. This makes the computer unstable (have to restart each time) and it basically does not see anything on the card.

I have downloaded 2 different recovery programs, but they utilize the reader/drive (which SEES nothing) and won't allow me to access the camera drive. So.. no luck.

Any ideas?

The pics are still on the card (never formatted, and it never asked) - and I can't bring myself to FORMAT and then try a recovery... YIKES...

Thanks

Username: Truggs44

I STILL CAN'T BELIVE ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO OWNE THESE SUCKY XD CARDS WITH THE PREFIX (M) OR (H) DON'T KNOW THAT THEY DO NOT WORK WITH ANYTHING OTHER THEN THE NEWER CAMERAS THAT THEY WERE INTENDED FOR, DO NOT WORK IN OLDER COMPUTERS,PRINTERS, CARD READERS OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT WAS NOT INTENDED FOR THE X OR M TYPE CARDS INCLUDING OLYMPUSES OWN XD CARD READER (MAUSB-10) A WELL KEPT SECREAT BY OLYMPUS.
MY COMPUTER CRASHED WHEN I PUT THEIR OWN OLYMPUS XD M256 CARD INTO THEIR CARD READER. CALL THEM THEY SAID THEY WOULD GIVE ME A REFUND THANKS FOR NOTHING. (BEWARE) DOSE NOT RECORD SOUND IN OLDER OLYMPUS CAMERAS, NO MENTION OF THIS EITHER. WHAT A JOKE.......

Username: Depressed_olympus

I own an OLYMPUS 550UZ and a 2gb xd card. I bought both in preparation for my honeymoon which was a month long trip through asia and Europe. On the last 3 days of my trip, my wife and I were baffled, shocked, and depressed to see the same error that some of you had seen. Memory card error, format or turn off. I'm researching right now to see if there is any way that I can get my photos off of it. It's unreadable through the camera and my computer's card reader won't even pick it up as a drive. I was a diehard Canon camera user until this camera but I think I will never buy an Olympus again after this horrible experience.

If anyone can help me out on how to get my card and photos off the corrupted card, your advice would make my new wife and I very very happy. We still can't believe it. Photos of the great wall, the vatican, the eifel tower, all seem to have been lost. :-(

Username: Lild

http://www.artplus.hr/adapps/eng/downloads.htm

Digital Photo Recovery: photorec.exe

There is a WONDERFUL tool under the second heading - "Free Digital Photo tools". It not only got my recent pictures back, but even the ones that were deleted several months ago!

Username: Juven

Firmware update for C-740
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/pictb ridge/fwupdate_asia.cfm

Username: Bbrad

Aiken, SC USA

Same problem with Olympus SP500UZ. All of a sudden started getting the "power off or format card" screen when the camera was turned on. This was the same 128 mb card that I had always used. I was able to retreive the photos by inserting the card in my HP printer card slot. I've reformated the card in another camera and tried 3 other XD cards and still the same error screen. When you try to re-format the card in the camera, the "card error" message pops up and you must power off. Does anyone at Olympus have the guts to address this issue???????????

Username: Denny_s

Had the same problem as honeymooner Gerry, although pics were probably not as spectacular!! Used the photorec.exe mentioned above. It worked great the second time. The first time I just had the .jpg format selected and got no results. The second time I realized there is a check box for Olympus file types (.orv I think) and all files were recovered. Note card was not in camera but in a reader for the recovery - assume it would have worked the same in the camera but am not sure.)

Now I'm trying to decide if this is going to be an ongoing issue, or if now that the card has been formated in the camera (assume it came formated as we didn't do anything special the first time we turned on the camera Christmas morn), we won't see this problem again. Any comments regarding onging issues??

Username: Xdeath

Hey I have a Olympus M720SW, and ive been connecting the 512mb XD card to the computer directly for my video/picture editing. I have a Built in Card reader and it was working fine for about 2-3 months untill all of a sudden I get a card error after taking photos of my year 12 formal... The problem occured after when wanted to view it on my camera the next day and BANG "Card Error" I can NEVER RELY ON OLYMPUS EVER AGAIN.... I is there anyway of cerating the file for the XD card so that the camera can recognise it perhaps>? any ideas guys..

OLYMPUS....

Username: Denny_s

Post Number: 2
Shazza, I can't tell from your post if you got the photos off the card and then had the problem, or if you are trying to save photos off a card you can't read. If it's the former, try to format the card in your camera. If it's the latter, try one of the recovery programs described above and then format the card in your camera. Good luck

Username: Xdeath

yeh now i have tried to reformat it but, both from the computer by clickin on on the driver and formatting it and then from the the camera itself. then after that my computer doesnt read the card anymore so i think there is somthing missing that makes the card work maby becouse in my Pro Duo Card for my Psp thers a File thats always been on there... :s so lost lol thnx in advance

Username: Tammonaux

Hey, I bought an Olympus Stylus 780 for Christmas and my xD card failed too... the camera was unable to read it and the "CARD ERROR" message appears when I insert the card into the camera, the camera also tries to format it but with no success. When this first happened, I tried to format it on my computer, but I might have chosen wrong file system...
When I insert the cart (1GB) to my card reader on my laptop, it looks like there is a xD card with file system RAW and capacity 0.5 kB... and Windows is unable to format it.
Could anyone help how to solve the problem? Pictures are not important, I just need the card formated...
Thanks a lot...

Username: Billsbest

Charleston, SC United States

Same prob here. C-740 w/Ultra Zoom, but won't run with 2GB card - I would be happy with a 1GB, but see the same probs with it, too. What is the actual firmware link at Olympus? I would be upgrading the Camedia software, on my XP platform, right?

Username: Amandao

I just recently bought a Stylus 840 with a 2gb XD card. The camera let me take aprox 600 pictures but when I went to put the card in the card reader on my computer it asked to be formatted. I tried it again later on and a new message pops up. I tried to load the pictures onto my computer by hooking up the usb cable but it continually downloaded the first 50 photos and nothing else. Now when I turn on my camera I only have those photos and none of the other ones. I have lost a ton of pictures with my daughter at the beach and with my family while visiting them. I really can't believe this has been going on since 2005 and nothing has been done to fix the problem! I am pissed! I downloaded the recovery software and am trying that route but so far....no luck. Can someone please help?! Thanks! -Amanda

Username: Amandao

Update! I am on my second try with the recovery soft ware and when it asks you what format I selected .Jpg, .Tif, and .Orf (the olympus one) and so far so good! It has recovered 13 pics! Hopefully I will get the rest as well!

Username: Ciprian

Well the same problem here. The Olympus camera is not able to format the card. Instead I inserted the card into a Fujifilm s5000 and it worked fine. Actualy I took pictures. Returning to Olympus again the format dialog appears. But again is not able to format it.
It's a shame these guys still selling these cameras and getting away with it, after people loose their work (about 150 microscope pictures lost).
Don't buy Olympus cameras till they're able to fix the problem.

Username: Falconer

Romeo, MI USA

I had the XD card problem when I bought my wife a new Olympus FE-210. I corrupted the memory card and made it unusable. I put a good card in my card reader and used Windows backup to make a copy of the card. I then restored it to the bad card and voilą the card was usable. Word of caution, I discussed the problem with Olympus and one should consider not using rechargable batteries in these cameras since they have a problem of unreliable depletion characteristics and could go dead when saving without warning.

Username: Sirrduke2010

xd cards and olympus camera 770SW. I recently had an Olympus card that got corrupted. I tried all the recovery software to no avail. I called Olympus twice about problems with the card. I went to camera shop and they told me to format the card. WRONG! DON'T FORMAT the card as it will fill the card with 0s and you won't be able to recover any pictures. I found that even with formatting the card with your camera before taking picture the 2nd time that I still had a problem downloading the picture files. On the second problem card a most unusual thing happened. I put my card into an HP printer with a card reader and voila I had all the images on my computer. I had my printer directly attached to my computer by USB. I can't download them from the camera or from a memory card reader though or from Olympus's software. Olympus tech support wasn't able to help me at all with the problem. I will not buy any more cameras that take xd especially from Olympus.

Username: Armadillo1

If your memory card wants to be formatted or can't format in 80% of all cases the controller of your card is damaged and no software or card reader can help. You must separate the memory chip and dump the raw data to recover your data, look here:

Username: Mybudsdad

Jarrell, TX

What this forum should tell you, is check with the OLympus site first. For the C-740 Ultra Zoom, this link Ultra Zoom Accessories
indicates only the 16MB (comes with C-740) and the 256MB XD card are supported - even with the firmware upgrade shown above in previous posts. A 2MB XD card will just not work in this camera. You will get "Card error". I even tried letting windows and format.com format the XD card, but the camera firmware is just not able to support larger sizes.

Username: Fredisblue

hi, i have an olympus mju 840, my memory card has been working fine, but suddenly, it keeps comming up with card error everytime i try to delete, and somethimes when i am trying to take or view photos! i cant think of anything i have done that could have caused it. to start with i guessed the card was full, but since it wont let me delete anything, i doubt thats it.....HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

Username: Fredisblue

sorry, never mind! i forgot the most basic thing, take it out, blow on it, put it back in. all better.

Username: Octopus47

Hej,
successfully downloaded photo's after "turn or format memory card problem" on SP-500UZ. Turned off and took away batteries and card for 3 hours!

Username: Emilyroggers

You are getting card error because it may be that the memory card of your Olympus c-50 is corrupted. You can do the formatting of your memory card but formatting will lead to data loss. You can use Olympus photo recovery software to recover your lost photos. For more info please visit: http://www.olympusphotorecovery.com

Username: Deepdp

The simplest way to recover lost photos due to memory card error is to use a powerful Memory Card Recovery Software called Remo Recover Photo (Windows). The software performs digital image recovery in a few moments and doesn't overwrite data as it is a read only application. In fact, the interface itself is so intuitive, that you don't have to read long boring manuals, and guides to understand it. It does image recovery in just three steps, scan media, select images, and click recover! And all the required images are recovered.

Username: Betz

I successfully recovered files from a corrupt olympus xd card using photorec.exe but DO NOT USE the version from download.com also called art plus digital photo recovery - this will take a couple of hours then show you thumbnails of your recovered photos and ask you to pay $20. This is available as open source and FREE at http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download - does require basic knowledge of DOS to use but is very straight forward, and extremely quick - ~ 15 mins for 300 photos recovered

Username: Madisons12

You can easily perform formatted memory card recovery using Remo Recover (Windows) -Pro edition software. Remo Recover is a very good USB data recovery software that can recover all lost photos, videos, music files very easily. To try out, you can download and install demo version of this software in your system.

Username: Jamespdavid

California, California USA

Post Number: 3
Hello, many times Olympus digital camera fails to format the memory card. To format memory card just follow these steps. Connect the memory card in computer using usb connector. Now go to computer and right click on the memory card icon. There you will found format option. Therefore click on the format option. After that a interface will appear now without selecting the quick format option click on the format option. In most of the cases this methods formats the memory card.

If this steps fails to format the Olympus digital camera memory card then format the memory card using the command prompt. By the help of command prompt you can easily format Olympus xd card.

--------------------------------------------

Thanks and Regards
Jamespdavid
California

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 16062
Hey Jamespdavid, are you really in California or somewhere in Hunan province?

Username: Jcooper222

Olympus is one of the most popular digital camera and is used by various users. Camera stores picture in .orf file format. ORF is actually raw file format and that's the reason it is very sensitive. The corruption in orf file format makes the entire saved image files inaccessible and as a consequence you have to face serious data loss. If the backup is available then its fine and definitely saves you from great loss. In case if it is not with you or gets corrupted then ultimately you will have to take help of third party ORF repair tool to repair damaged, corrupted orf file.

Username: Stephenrocks21

Hey Dude, Above post are good one. But, if the problem still be there then don't worry, there available an easy way for you in form of XD card data recovery software. I too had suffered a lot when my XD card fails to respond and pop ups annoying error messages. Then, I tried XD card data recovery software. Its really proves to be boon for me. So, on my experience I am suggesting you too to make use of this very application.

Good Luck!

http://www.getphotoback.com/xd-card-data-recovery-get-corrupted-deleted-lost-pho to-recovered

Username: Alexlaird87

Irvington, NJ United States

I had a similar issue with my VR-340. I tried formatting both through the GUI and Command Line, I tried FAT16, FAT32 and exFAT. Apparently some Olympus camera's don't like it if you format the card on a windows machine:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/crm/oneoffpages/ask_oly/crm_ask_oly_01_11.asp
"Memory cards should be formatted to maintain top performance. They should only be formatted using the camera - never format using a computer as it may render the card unreadable by the camera."

The issue seems to be related to how windows partitions the drive, to fix it;

1. Run cmd.exe as Administrator
2. Type "Diskpart" and press Enter
3. Type "List Disk" and press Enter
4. Once you've identified the correct disk type "Select Disk X" where X is the disk number and press Enter
5. Type "List Partition" and press Enter
6. There should only be one partition, type "Select Partition X" where X is the Partition number and press Enter
7. Type "Delete Partition" and press Enter
8. Type Exit and transfer the SD card to the Camera
9. Format the card with the camera (may take a few tries) and it should work fine.

Username: Nylarose

This is a very old topic. I just want to tell you that if you are recovering data about XD Card, you can get more help through Google.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us