JVC firewire problems

Username: Punker

Post Number: 1
please can anyone help. I bought a JVC GR-D50EK and i cant get any software to see it. I have got premier, roxio and the software that came witht the camcorder (pixela imagemaker). I have a relativly fast computer with a onboard firewire (1394a)port (VIA) and a firewire cable, i am using winXP sp2. I have tried everything i have come across on the net but still cant get it to work. I contacted JVC and they said "they dont support firewire"??? I have checked that the fire cable/port is working by plugging in a playstation 2 into it (its the only other device with a DVi connection I have) and my pc sees something but obviosly dosnt recognise it, so the firewire cable/port does work. Please help someone. Thanks

Username: Mrgudman

Try installing the IEEE 1394 port driver to recognize your camcorder?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3031
JVC does not call it "firewire" they call IEEE1394. That camcorder is 1394 compliant so you should be able to plug and play. But if it does not work try this.

Go to your device manager and right click on the IEEE1394 and uninstall. Re-start the computer and wait for it to re-install the 1394 port. After that is done, re-start the pc once again and wait for it to completely boot up.

Make sure that the JVC is turned off. Attach the firewire cable to the dvi output of the camcorder, then attach it to the firewire port. Do not turn on the camcorder just yet! Open up your video capture program, ie. Roxio (remove he pixela, it conflicts with the Roxio). Now turn on your JVC, but do not touch anything else on the camcorder, just turn it on! Wait for the computer to do its recognition run.
From your Roxio program you can control the camcorder so from there you can hit the capture button.

good luck.

Post Number: 2
thanks for your help but this hasnt fixed it. i've managed to check the iEEE1394 port and cable work by pluging the cable into my playstation2 then booting, it recognises ther is something there but obviously it cant install it, but at least it's saying somethings there.
i have tried taking the camcorder to a shop but so far my local ones dont have any systems in with firewire on them, so as yet i've been unable to check if im getting a signal out of the camcorder.
any other ideas.........Please....i'm tearing my hair out.................

Post Number: 3
p.s. if i had any...........(hair that is)

hamster
Unregistered guest
problem getting windows xp to recognise jvc gr-dx 100 video camera. using usb port .installs usb driver imagemixer no problem but says camera not found. help! tried jvc they say either problem with camera or usb cable or a computer glitch! what can i do heeelp!

meighan66
Unregistered guest
So glad I came across this. I have spend hours and money trying to get my JVC GRd30 to upload to my PC. Tried different firewires, bought new software and have called Microsoft, JVC and Pinnacle. People at JVC are useless but it sounds like maybe it is the camcorders problem and not the other connections.

Post Number: 4
i spoke to JVC and they say they dont support firewire???? but i got a letter in reply to one i sent to the customer services manager, they just said the usual stuff, make sure its plugged in, etc. it wasnt very helpfull. i still havnt got a shop to check the signal comming out of the camcorder yet, but i think (although i dont see why) that this is the only thing left that can be wrong. has anyone else had a falure to output a signal from the camcorders DVi socket???

bobik
Unregistered guest
Hi, i own a JVC GRD33, and got the same proble you got, I can control the tape but no video signal. The strange thing is that this is a brand new AMD pc, when i plug the 1394 card into my old Intel pc, i get a video signal !!! same has windows XP sp2. I tried plugging it to my laptop (IBM A31p) and it also working !!! is it cause it is an AMD system ?

Silver Member
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 425
bobik,

Assuming your firewire card is installing OK in the AMD, it might be time for you to try some OS patches:

Windows XP Patch: Inconsistent Gap Count Can Cause 1394 Devices to Not Enumerate http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9E8DF3F3-CD0C-4EDB-936A -5F0043E88BB2&displaylang=en

Update for Windows XP (KB885222)
After you install Windows XP Service Pack 2, some 1394 devices (such as digital cameras that use S400 speed) may not perform as expected. Install this update to help prevent this issue. After you install this update, you will have to restart your computer http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ca0f2007-18b5-4112-8bd6 -8bf4bd3130b9&DisplayLang=en

and if you are really stuck and want to stray into dangerous territory, take a look at this discussion board. DO NOT try this unless you are confident that you can back up important data and/or Ghost your OS before starting. Exercise extreme care if you follow this route - and PLEASE do let me know if it works.
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t106716.html

Cheers

bobik
Unregistered guest
Gromit,

The firewire card is installed OK, i download and execute the two patch files but with no luck :-( ...

I tried to replace the 3 sys files but the OS keeps replacing it back after 2 sec to the original ones, is there a place to disable this annoying "feature" ?

Thanks..

Silver Member

Post Number: 433
bobik,

You have to read down the page to see the method of preventing this (other people trying it encountered the same issue as you).

I am impressed that you are intrepid enough to give this a try! Don't forget to make adequate backups....

Cheers.

Unregistered guest
Hey um I've been having really similar problems but I am a complete nubie at this so maybe I've missed doing something painfully obvious.

Ok I have a JVC GR-DV500 video camera and just got a firewire card and cable... i know that the computer recognises the IEEE 1394, but when I have everything connected and turn the camera on, a "install new hardware" window pops up... Wtf do I do?

Is this what everyone here means about the computer not recognising their JVC video cameras??? Coz I thought sh** maybe I've just forgotten to download the driver software for this camera to send video via IEEE 1394 ... But this doesn't seem the case, or is it??

Can someone tell me, from what i've described, am I in the same situation as others on this forum here or am I dumb and supposed to be looking for the right driver for mu PC to understand my JVC GR-DV500 video camera?!

I would so goddamn appreciate anyone's advice here because I am seriously going insane over this.

Silver Member

Post Number: 436
Nuebie,

Normally, DV camcorders are recognised automatically, without the need for additional firwire drivers. When you turn on your camcorder, do you see it appearing in Device Manager under "Imaging devices"? Also, what OS are you running?

Cheers.

Nuebie
Unregistered guest
Ohy ok... Well when I turn the cam on it appears in the Device Manager, not under "Imaging Devices," but under "Other Devices" with a big ugly question mark as the icon. So I guess the PC recognises something is there but does not know what the f it is.

To answer your question, I am using Windows XP, and I recently got the update SP2. That must be the problem, then. I am so tempted to revert back to SP1 following the instructions, buuut... I'll most likely stuff it up.

I just don't know what else to do, how else to fix it.. it's so frustrating!

Silver Member

Post Number: 444
Nuebie,

You seem to be a candidate for the remedy on the link below (putting SP1 firewire drivers back onto SP2). DO NOT try this unless you are confident that you can back up important data and/or Ghost your OS before starting. Exercise extreme care if you follow this route - and PLEASE do let me know if it works.

Cheers.

Nuebie
Unregistered guest
Gromit, I tried that method of swapping the SP2 to SP1 firewire drivers as described by several posters in the link you gave me but it hasn't worked. My computer still doesn't recognise the video camera and that all too familiar "New Hardware Found" window pops up.

I think I've now classically conditioned myself to become violent and swear profusely when I see that window appear! I was at my friend's house yesterday and watched while he installed something except I was kind of spaced out and not really paying much attention. That screen popped up (which is what he wanted to happen) and I immediately stood up and yelled "f**k you" to the computer without much thought. I then laughed and realised I was just used to it popping up on my computer while I explored dozens of avenues to get my PC to recognise it, without success. lol.

So anyway, back to the topic. I have a question: What do I do now? Is there ANYTHING I can do other than changing my operating system and making drastic and expensive changes to my computer system?

Nuebie
Unregistered guest
I just bought a different firewire card and installed it but its still coming up with the "New Hardware Found" window when I connect up my GR-DV500AA... Oh man...

Silver Member

Post Number: 462
Nuebie,

Wow, you are having lots of fun!

1) please confirm that you have reviewed and tried, where applicable, the 15 items in my "Connection Cookbook". In particular, please let me know what happens with your camcorder on a friend's PC and vice versa

2) Please review the following contribution from a JVC owner who just successfully debugged his connection problem - I'll enclose his two posts here verbatim:

post 1: Interesting...Just some FYI...I am using a JVC GR-D270U, and it was giving me headaches with USB hardware recognition. After trying all recommendations on this forum I finally had an epiphany. I turned my camcorder off, switched it to MEMORY, and turned it back on. Using Windows XP SP2, and with a memory card in the cam, Windows immediatley detected, installed, and readied my cam for use. (Without need of the Install CD.) Thanks for all your help, and I hope this helps someone

post 2: Also, refering to the above post, I just plugged in my cam to the 4 pin firewire on my laptop, and it also recognized and installed whereas before it just sat there. Lessons learned, a. switch to memory, (assuming a memory card is inserted), b. turn cam to play, c. plug in to usb, d. let install, e. disconnect usb, and plug in firewire, f. let install. Now it asks if i want to capture video. Exactly what i wanted

If neither of those help, don't give up. Next step would be to tell me EXACTLY what you are doing and what you see. So far, I have only encountered one case where we couldn't find and isolate the problem.

Cheers.

Nuebie
Unregistered guest
Hey by the way thanks a lot for your advice gromit! You've been really helpful. Sorry that this is a long post, but I want to include lots of details so that you can fully appreciate my situation, or anyone else who can give me advice on this.

I tried the method suggested by that other JVC owner but it didn't work HOWEVER I tried plugging in the USB cable (instead of the firewire), switched it to 'Memory', and my computer actually recognised the camera!!!!! YAY!!!!!! So now I can transfer the still images onto my PC!!!!! You would not realise how excited I got hey..

This is good, that tells me there isn't any malfunction of the camera that stops it from being recognised by the PC its connected to. I still cannot transfer video to the PC via the firewire but at least I'm a tiny bit closer to isolating the problem. I was getting very very close to giving up... but not anymore now this has happened..

Gromit, where is this connection cookcook of yours? Could you please provide a link or direct me..

I'll tell you what equipment I have just to make sure I am not missing something. Anything sound sus can you shout? As you know I have a JVC GR-DV500 miniDV video camera. I bought it off a trustworthy guy second hand, but basically unused. The camera isn't damaged in any way. With it, I received a firewire IEEE 1394 card (and I have a second one now too) with a firewire cable. I also have a USB cable and a USB port that I had previously in my PC.

My PC is an AMD Athlon, 1.56 GHz, 512MB RAM, running with Windows XP, Service Pack 2. The firewire card shows up (and the drivers were automatically installed) in the Device Manager. I don't have any video editing software - and to my knowledge there are no seperate drivers that are needed to get the camera to transfer video via firewire. All I have to use is Windows Movie Maker.

This is what I have tried and what I observed:

* When the camera is turned on to 'PLAY' and its connected it to the PC using the firewire, a window pops up my computer saying "New Hardware Found," etc. I've tried getting the computer to look for drivers automatically but this doesn't work. On the video camera, the screen doesn't change at all. I noticed that when the USB connection worked (on 'Memory' mode), the camera screen displayed a a simple USBMODE>>>>> message or something similar.

* The same "New Hardware.." message appears on my PC regardless of whether the camera is on 'Video' or 'Memory' mode. It also pops up when I try restarting the computer and then turn the camera on before it fully starts up (while connected to the PC obviously).

* I phoned JVC customer service tech support, and the guy said that this "New Hardware Found" window shouldn't be happening at all when the camera is connected via firewire. "A freak of nature!" those were his words. I think he thought I was talking about the firewire drivers (which were installed automatically and working just fine).

* The tech guy was suggested that its the fault of the firewire card, not the camera. I thought about what he said and went out and bought a different firewire card (yeah I'm pretty desperate, and anyway my original one was was given to me for free). Same story.. the same message appears.. and I swear uncontrollably as usual., lol.

* The dude I bought the camera off burned me a CD of VideoWave3, video editing software. This wouldn't install on my computer because it came up with an error message saying it "does not support your operating system." This is strange because the guy who burned it for me uses it on his laptop which is using Windows XP and it works no problems. Wats going on there?!

I should also mention that this guy who originally had the camera and firewire in the first place said he had no with getting his PC to recognise the camera and capture video. After talking on the phone with him tonight, he said that the "New Hardware Found" pop-up is normal, but the camera only gets recoginised once the VideoWave (or some specific other video editing software) is running. Note that this is contrary to what the JVC tech support guy said to me. This makes me reluctant to go out and buy some editing software to find out that this will not fix the problem and get even more frustrated thinking this will never get fixed!!!

* As I mentioned in an earlier post of mine, I try swapping the SP2 drivers with the SP1 ones, but it didn't make any difference. I was extremely careful with this to make sure I didn't hurt my puter.

* Basically, whatever I do, when I connect it to my PC, it asks me for drivers or software to run the new hardware. When I look in Device Manager, it is listed under the title "Other Devices" as "JVC GR-DV500." It knows what the device is called, but not what it is.

* I should try connecting it up with another person's computer but they either have laptops with no firewire, or are using some wierdo operating system. I want to experiment on another PC that is using Windows XP...

_____

I was beginning to suspect that that there is something wrong with the camera that makes it unable to be read/understood by the computer. This is not so, because I managed to get USB to work with it and download still photos from it. The problem clearly has nothing to do with the cable because information does get sent. And as I have tested, the issue does not exist in the firewire card. I have two now, and they both work and show up in Device Manager correctly labelled. So now I think it must be something to do with my computer. I have a feeling it has to do with the operating system Windows XP. Or maybe it's just that Service Pack 2 is pure evil.

Gromit, or anyone else, what do you think? Ask if you need me to clarify anything. Thanks again!

I just feel like this is never going to end! I don't think my patience has ever been tested to degree that this has...

Silver Member

Post Number: 472
Nuebie,

I'll attach my connection cookbook below this message, but before that:

1) have you previously had success with XP SP1? It sounds like not.

2) Your system all looks OK, but please confirm that when you received the second firewire card, you also got a new cable as well.

3) I agree with the "freak of nature' comment.

4) I have installed (with a little bit of difficulty) Videowave III on Windows 2000, but not XP. However, I have seen another XP (I believe SP2) computer with Videowave III installed.

5) Even with no video editing software installed at all, I believe that your computer should show the DV camcorder in Device Manager under "Imaging Devices", saying something like "Microsoft DV camera and VCR"

6) Just because your camcorder's USB connection is working, that does NOT mean that the firewire port is working perfectly

OK, now here's the cookbook:

1) Disconnect USB and just use the firewire cable to connect your camera to your PC. Most cameras use only firewire for video and USB for stills. Having the USB connection present might possibly cause a problem
2) If by any chance you have TWO types of firewire interface in your PC (one built-in, one PCI/PCMCIA card), physically remove the external card, and try connecting to the in-built port. If still no good, check in Device Manager that the internal device is OK. If you were using a PCI/PCMCIA card because of problems with an in-built card, make sure the in-built device is really disabled.
3) If you are using a laptop with built-in firewire, try to get your hands on a PCMCIA firewire card and use that instead as an experiment. This fixed the problem for one user with a Sony laptop. Make sure you disable the in-built device when doing this.
4) Play around a bit to make sure there is no "sequence" issue affecting you. By this I mean experimenting with turning the camera on before, or during the capture programme running. Please make sure to only physically plug the firewire cable in to the camcorder when (at least) the camcorder is turned off. JVC have stated that plugging in the firewire cable when the camcorder is switched on can damage the camcorder's DV port.
5) Look in Device Manager to check if both your 1394 controller and camcorder are present and correct. The 1394 controller should show up the whole time. The camcorder should show up when you connect it and turn it on, then disappear when you turn it off.
6) If you have any doubts about your firewire card, debug as follows: Turn off your camcorder and unplug it from the computer. Remove/uninstall the firewire on your device manager. Restart the computer, wait until windows re-installs the firewire. Re-start again, then wait until the pc is booted up completely. With your camcorder still switched off, plug it in using firewire, then power it on.
7) If your camera has a socket for a memory card, fit one. One JVC owner I corresponded with said this fixed his problem (and was advice from JVC, by the way)
8) Disconnect all other peripherals (especially USB) in case they are confusing your PC. Just a hunch.
9) Re-instal your capture software.
10) Re-download and re-install your capture software
11) Try a different capture software, e.g. Moviemaker from Microsoft if you use XP, Ulead VideoStudio or Roxio Videowave (my favourite)
12) Think whether have you recently installed any new applications, or upgraded any applications? RealPlayer is one application I have found to conflict with Windows XP wizards
13) Think about whether you have installed any hardware that might be causing a conflict. Not a very common problem these days but still a possibility. Check via Device Manager.
14) Try connecting your camera to a friend's PC and vice versa to work out, through a process of elimination, where the problem lies. Remember that capture will only work if the camera, cable, firewire card and PC are all OK.
15) If you are running XP SP2, please refer to this Microsoft patch: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=CA0F2007-18B5-4112-8BD6 -8BF4BD3130B9&displaylang=en And if you are completely stuck, then this interesting - and potentially dangerous - discussion about XP SP2 might be of interest to you. This fix was written prior to the release of the Microsoft patch so it might now be obscelent. DO NOT try this unless you are confident that you can back up important data and/or Ghost your OS before starting. Exercise extreme care if you follow this route - and PLEASE do let me know if it works.

16) If you are using a JVC camcorder, try to use a firewire card with a TI chipset. There is some doubt about JVC camcorders working with non-TI firewire cards (even though mine does no problem)

Back over to you!

Cheers.

Nuebie
Unregistered guest
HEY some progress! I was able to get my JVC video camera to be recognised by my friend's computer who is running Windows 2000. I used my firewire card, cable and camera. I got her to download 'Video Edit Magic 3' trial version, because she doesn't have Windows Movie Maker or any other software. I was even able to capture video! The video is very bad quality though because her computer is slow, she hasn't upgraded it in several years.

This tells me that there is something about my computer that is not compatible with my camera. I'm guessing it would work if I changed operating systems, and I'm starting to consider this as an option. But I have never done anything like this before, and do not want this to go wrong. I could probably do this at a computer store near me... What do you think Gromit?

By the way, I got the camera after I had SP2 had been installed and settled in so I don't know if it would work with SP1. Also, I used the same cable with the second firewire card.

Nuebie
Unregistered guest
I called up JVC technical support again. They said its the fault of Windows. I called up Windows, they said its the fault of JVC. GRrrrrrr.

Silver Member

Post Number: 489
Nuebie,

Time to change your name to "war veteran" I think.

I need some time to think through all you have told me, but there is one thing you could try quickly (now that you have verified that your card and cable are OK)

1) With your camcorder completely disconnected, go to Device Manager, and remove the category "Other Devices" if the system will allow you to, and there is nothing else vital there.

2) Completely remove, from Device Manager, BOTH of your firewire cards.

3) Turn off your computer and physically remove one of the firewire cards.

3) Reboot your computer and allow one firewire card to re-install. Have your OS disks handy in case you are prompted for them.

4) Re-connect your camcorder and turn it on.

5) Note on Device Manager what is present in terms of "IEEE 1394" and "Imaging Devices"

6) If this doesn't work, repeat the process with the other firewire card.

What I am trying to do here is to make your PC forget about this "half-correct" recognition and start again with a clean firewire installation.

While you are trying this (assuming you haven't already), I'll be pondering other possibilities.

Cheers.

Veteran Nuebie
Unregistered guest
Nop, same old story.

I cannot remove the 'Other Devices' category in Device Manager because it only shows up when I connect and power the camcorder to the computer. I tried it for both firewire cards, there this no difference which ever one i use. Nothing works. The technician at Windows said to me over the phone that there must be some drivers that go with the camera and are on a seperate CD or something for it to work. Well if that is so, then I guess for my camera to WORK on the Windows 2000 computer could be called a FREAK OF NATURE phenomenon. There were NO drivers that came with the camera seperately. The drivers should be loaded automatically when it is connected to a compatible PC with my JVC GR-DV500.'

I'll tell you exactly what it says in the Device Manager for the firewire card:
"[-] [image] IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers
[image] VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller"

Also, this is what it says when I plug in the video camera:
"[-] ?[image] Other devices
!?[image] JVC GR-DV500"

By the way, I've tried some of the patches you have suggested, but I couldn't properly access the link of the last one you provided. Can you please give me the link again with the unchanged address?

I'm so close to giving up. But I am totally conviced there is SOMETHING on my computer that is stopping it from recognising my camera, and that it CAN be fixed. I'm thinking its something to do with SP2 or some other Windows automatic update... or... I don't know.

Basically I'm at the stage where I'd be willing to do drastic things like reinstall EVERYTHING or change operating systems (as long as its still windows). I wouldn't know how to do that so I'd get it done at a computer my brother used to work at. I might be really sick of this, but I will not stop until I get this to work.

Please, Gromit, if you have any other ideas, let me know. You've been excellent at giving advice and encouragement, can't thank you enough.

Silver Member

Post Number: 491
Veteran Nuebie (I guess that is one step below "nuebie veteran")

If you can get an OS re-install done for you at a reasonable price, I think it might be worth considering. Windows 2000, if you can source it, is another possibility. For XP, it's vital to load the potentially "evil" SP2 for security reasons. With Windows2000, SP4 is required for the same reasons. I'm sure you know that anyway. If you have access to Norton Ghost, backing up your current C: drive might be a good idea so that if the OS thing doesn't work, you can at least recover all your current programme instals, etc. If you don't Ghost, make VERY sure you have all the data you need backed up. Things people often forget is mail archives, address books, etc. Your computer technician should be able to assist in this respect.

Now here's a thought. If you do go for an OS re-install, then (making sure your computer is not connected to the web), after the initial XP re-install, trying installing the firewire card and connecting the camcorder. If that works, then go for SP2 and repeat the experiment. Then, you are safe to connect to the web, allow automatic updates and see if it STILL works. If your problems are due to a recent OS muck-up by those guys, this will narrow it down. Don't waste the opportunity!

Here are the patches again (not sure either of them will save you to be honest):

Patch to correct SP2 issue where the interface speed is set incorrectly:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=CA0F2007-18B5-4112-8BD6 -8BF4BD3130B9&displaylang=en

Patch to cure 1394 devices not enumerating:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9E8DF3F3-CD0C-4EDB-936A -5F0043E88BB2&displaylang=en

I believe this link is superceded by the "S400" one:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=CA0F2007-18B5-4112-8BD6 %20-8BF4BD3130B9&displaylang=en

Good luck, keep in touch. I'll also be considering other things to try.

Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 495
Veteran nuebie,

I was browsing Microsoft this morning and noticed that on this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222/ (this is the first patch above) there is a warning as follows:

++++++++++++++++
Registry information
Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

After you install this update, if you add a host controller for a new 1394 device to your computer, you must add or modify the SidSpeed entry in the Windows registry for the new 1394 host controller.
++++++++++++++++

I am not 100% sure how to interpret that, but one interpretation is that users who instal this patch will need to make a registry change (see the page for further details) every time they add a new firewire card.

And here is another "off-the-wall" thing to look at: Windows XP SP2 will put a firewall up which can block the firewire socket because it can be used as a LAN. Check "Control Panel" > "Windows Firewall" > "Advanced" > "Settings..." and make sure "1394 Connection" is checked. See http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t112935.html for the complete thread

OK, that's all I've got to say for now.

Cheers.

Veteran Nuebie
Unregistered guest
Thanks, Gromit. yeah the patches didn't help. And that other patch in your last post didn't do anything to make it work either. Um, yeah and I checked to make sure the 1384 connection was ticked in the Windows Firewall settings and still no luck.. The day it works.. I think i'll cry.

That other thread was interesting, and I was happy to see different descriptions of how to change the SP2 drivers with older SP1 ones. I tried this yet again, and yeah nothing. The New Hardware Found windows just keeps popping up.

The past few days I've been thinking about whether it would be a good idea or not to reinstall Windows XP.. But I don't know how to back up stuff on my computer other than burning stuff onto CDs, and there's a lot of stuff! Gromit could you tell me, would I need to reinstall Microsoft office stuff too, etc.? How long do you think it would take if I got it done at a computer store? Like on average... 4 hours? 10 hours? a few days? I can't spend too much paying for tech support getting my computer reinstalled. I know the guys who work there so the cost wouldn't be too bad, but yeah.

If only my brother wasn't away on holiday, he'd help me reinstall. He's an electrical engineer and worked at this computer store as a tech support guy for 7 years... damn.. he gets back in 4 months and I can't wait that long!!

Hmmm... Tell me about the good and bad things about reinstalling operating systems... (even if it doesn't fix the initial problem). Thanks again.

By the way, I call myself "Veteran Nuebie" because I have been so lost to all this "getting PC to recognise camera" stuff for so long that I consider myself a long-serving and weathered newbie. lol.

Silver Member

Post Number: 496
Veteran Nuebie,

Just installing an OS is not very challenging with Windows XP. You basically just put in the disk, tell the computer to boot from CD, and off you go, clicking "Next" a dozen times or so.

The challenging parts of a system rebuild are:

1) making sure you have all your data stored. The ways to do this include:

a) burning DVDs (CDs are useless for most people)
b) having a second hard disk and copying the files across
c) buying an external hard disk
d) copying the files to another computer across a home network

I have done all except (c) with success

2) identifying what you need to save. "My documents" is an obvious one, but there are also things like email archives, address books, etc. You can use "find file" to search for "inbox" and "address", making sure you select "Include hidden files and folders".

You may have other applications that store data elesewhere than "My documents" so make sure about this, e.g. by opening the application, saving a test document and noting where it goes.

To overcome this problem, in my home computer I have two hard disks. On the C drive the only thing I have is OS and programmes. Evene things like email I force onto the D drive. This means that I can zap the OS (normally by Ghosting back to a stored config) whenever I feel like it without any impact to stored data.

3) re-installing all the hardware (PCI cards, etc). Fortunately, with XP, this is normally quite easy or even automatic.

4) re-installing all the CD-based programmes (including Microsoft Office). The challenges here are

a) finding all the CDs that you have accumulated
b) remembering all the serial numbers/keys.

5) re-installing all the web-sourced software. Of course, if you filed the original .exe files, you can run them again. failing that, you might have a slightly tedious job downloading them

(Thinking about this one makes me wonder if temporarily uninstalling some software might even fix your problem....RealPlayer is one I am a bit suspicious about...)

The duration of these tasks is approximately:

1) Whatever it takes you to back up your data and locate all the CDs etc you need for the rebuild job

2) Approximately 45 minutes, unattended, to reformat the partition, if you choose to implement that optional step

3) Approximately 45 minutes, with occasional intervention, to re-install XP

3) Approximately 20 minutes to re-install SP2 (don't forget, we're not doing that until after you try the firewire connection)

4) However long it takes to re-instal all your other applications and import saved email etc back into the programmes.

By the way, if Microsoft Office was the blocker for an OS re-instal (e.g. because you have lost the CDs), then you might be interested to take a look at www.openoffice.org . I have standardised on this package for most of my work now.

Well, let me know if you plan to do it so that if I don't hear from you for 4 months I'll know you found it harder than expected.

Cheers

Veteran Nuebie
Unregistered guest
Well, Gromit, thanks for the detailed description... I've been thinking about whether I will go ahead with the reinstallation of Windows XP to hopefully fix it, and I've decided I won't.

I feel there's too much to do, and I don't think its worth it. I'm not giving up totally, but I'm going to stop harrassing my computer; give it a rest for now. I will have to find a different computer to attempt to do my video editing, and that might have to be one of my friend's computers who I live with (er, the friend who I live with, not the computer heh) if they will let me. I will work something out and I will keep you posted.

I might even reconsider the drastic option of reinstalling XP... whatever...

Obviously if I have any success with getting my PC to recognise (and automatically install the drivers for my camcorder), then I will post and describe very clearly how I did it.. For now, though, I'll consider other options. If you have anything else, you know I appreciate any other ideas you have.

Username: Jserle

Crownsville, Maryland

Post Number: 3
I have a JVC-D73 MiniDV camcorder that transfers video to my PC (AthlonXP2900) via USB and ImageMixer 1.7. However, I cannot capture video using firewire. I consistently get an error message that the recording time was too short. I have tried 2 other video capturing software packages, which are also unable to capture video via Firewire. When the camcorder is connected via USB, the camcorder is recognized by the supplied JVC USB drivers as a JVC device under imaging devices. When the camcorder is connected via firewire, the system is recognized as a Microsoft DV camera and VCR. The Video capturing softwares can consistently operate the play/stop/fastforward/rewind buttons, but capturing video does not work. I believe that the camcorder does not have the ability to output DV signal (unlike the USB analog signal), or a yet to be produced driver is needed. Anybody know of a workable DV driver? Anybody know any other solutions? I have run through Gromit's cook book check list. JVC support has been of no help to me so far, although somebody for Firewire support is supposed to call me back. I am running Windows 2000, SP4. I have a Zonet firewire card (I don't know the chipset) that is installed under a VIA OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller in Device manager.

Silver Member

Post Number: 502
Jserle,

Please give a little more info about the symptoms you are seeing. You mentioned you cannot capture. But can you preview video through operating the playback controls from the PC? If yes, then clearly your camcorder can output DV somehow or other....

I am wondering if this folklore issue of non-TI chipset is affecting you. A senior contributor on this page:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=106739&page=3
believes that even non-TI cards can have the TI driver loaded to solve JVC problems, although one user tried this without luck (see "rdwalt").

Bottom line appears to be that a TI based chipset firewire card is less risky if you are a JVC owner, although I note that your camcorder is recognised, which is further than other JVC owners got!

Here are some TI chipset cards:
ADS Tech-PYRO PCI 64 (Circuit City)
Belkin F5U503 (Wal Mart, Comp USA)
Pinnacle DVClip
Pinnacle DV/AV
Syba VIA (pcimicro.com).

By the way, if you were running XP SP2, I would suggest the Microsoft patch to fix the firewire interface speed being set incorrectly, as your symptoms look a bit like that one.

Please keep me updated on your progress.

Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 506
Veteran nuebie,

1) Please refer to this JVC user guide that mentions how to remove a JVC mini DV camcorder from "Other Devices". Might be slightly different to what you have done in the past. See page 8.

2) Here is some JVC Canada support information:
http://www.jvc.ca/en/consumer/service/faq.asp

12. Windows XP lists my fire wire connection with my DV camera in device manger's UNKNOWN DEVICE list as 'AV/C subunit' ?

Because this is not a service related issue with the DV socket, there is little advice we can offer.

JVC can not offer suggestions that would 'tweak' your system in allowing your unit to communicate with Windows XP possibly voiding any warranty still existing on your PC.

We can confirm that this is usually associated with what drivers Windows XP is loading for your IEEE1394 card. We have had reported solutions emailed into us from customers experiencing the same problem who say they've found solutions from online forums suggesting that renaming the MSDV.INF file works just fine, other customers have emailed in to say it doesn't do anything. JVC can not confirm this will or will not work because we have not conducted any testing. We have not experienced any problems of this nature.

Most of the emails received on this problem were from customers using Adobe Premiere 6.0 editing software
unquote

I'm still looking for other ideas as well.

Cheers.

Crownsville, Maryland

Post Number: 4
Thanks for your reply. No drivers were shipped with my Zonet IEEE 1394 PCI card. The driver that was loaded as IEEE 1394 controller came with my ABIT mother board and ABIT has no further updates for this driver. To answer your question, no video is seen on the various capture software preview screens during attempted firewire capture. The camcorder is playing and video is seen on the camcorder LCD. The software buttons (Play, stop, etc.) do control the respective camcorder functions.

Silver Member

Post Number: 507
Jserle,

(FYI, I am running W2K SP4 and can capture from my JVC camcorder without any problems.)

I'm not quite sure why you are using motherboard drivers for a PCI card. Normally, they would only be for on-baord devices, and PCI card drivers would come from Windows. Are you sure your motherboard isn't firewire equipped? Either way, I'd try "removing" the 1394 controller and re-installing. It might also be worth trying a different (TI based) PCI firewire card.

Here's a web-page that mentions DV cam/firewire card compatibility issues, including one that sounds similar to that which you are experiencing:

http://www.inventa.com.au/Introduction%20to%20Video%20Capture%20Cards%20and%20Vi deo%20Editing%20Software.htm#section4_5

If this doesn't help, my next area to check out would be the USB, specifically whether it is causing a conflict.

Let me know what happens....

Cheers.

Veteran Nuebie
Unregistered guest
Whoa hey Gromit it's working! Not on my computer but on another guys' (who I live with)! He's running Windows 2000, Service Pack 3, and although his system probably meets the minimum system requirements to do video editing (i.e., 56 MB RAm, no idea how many GHz, 10GB free hard drive space), the video quality captured is fine - good enough to be able to work with. I never though of using his computer! Luckily he's okay with it, as long as I don't hog it all day, lol.

Although it would be A LOT faster and more smooth doing video editing on my system (AMD Athlon, 1.53 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 20GB free hard drive space, etc.), I have given up trying to get my PC to recognise my JVC GR-DV500. It has taken me weeks and weeks and probably hundreds of hours in the end. It has also taken a bit of a toll on my sanity, but I'm just happy I can use it on my housemate's computer until he gets sick of me, lol.

I will come back often to help others... but I do still consider myself a newbie - a veteran of one at the very least.

Veteran Nuebie
Unregistered guest
I meant "256 MB RAM" when referring to my friend's PC system in my last post.

Veteran Nuebie
Unregistered guest
I meant "256 MB RAM" when referring to my friend's PC system in my last post.

Silver Member

Post Number: 508
Veteran Nuebie,

Damn! I thought I had you signed up as a guinea pig for the ultimate "XP SP2 indictment" experiment. But I must say I can't blame you for simply side-stepping this problem.

In terms of tieing up your friend's PC, I can tell you that simply transferring the video onto the hard disk is (surprising though it may seem to you at the moment) the least of your worries. Doing all the editing, then rendering the .avi files into MPEG-2 for the DVD is what takes the time. So I will offer you this tip: until recently, I was capturing DV on this PC in front of me right now, then transferring the very, very big files across to my wife's newer, faster PC for editing and rendering. If you have a "home" network with your friend, you might find it very convenient to just use his PC for the capture activity, then do all the rest on your own, faster, machine.

If your friend's PC is marginal in terms of being able to cpature video without dropping frames, I have a number of suggestions about how to minimise frame dropping.

Good luck and please keep sharing your experiences! I doubt that the user name "Veteran Nuebie" is taken in case you wish to register......

Cheers.
PS: please tell your friend to update to SP4. He is currently at risk from internet attack.

Username: Veteran_nuebie

Perth, Western Aust... Australia

Hey yeah I could transfer the video files through the network or via my trusty little USB disk! NIce one. And yeah, when I capture video, there are no dropped frames, so this is excellent. As you can see I'm now registered to help out other lost newbies in the world of camcorder-to-PC-video-editing, even if its just a little emotional support, lol. I am a psychology student by the way.

Silver Member

Post Number: 511
Veteran Nuebie,

If you are in Sydney some time, you can dump your footage onto my PC here.

Have fun!

Cheers.

Username: Veteran_nuebie

Perth, Western Aust... Australia

Post Number: 2
You live in Sydney?

Oh I'll have plenty of fun!

I need your advice on a network issue now, though... Our computers are networked so we can share files but my computer keeps demanding a password (and username). I can see his computer in my network neighbourhood, and he can see mine, except his system allows me to open/explore the shared files found on my computer without asking for a password. My computer requires a password to get in and view them. I don't know the username and password so how do I stop it from asking me for it before I can access his computer via the network? Can you give me instructions if you know how. Is it to do with increased security on Windows XP? Thanks hey..

Silver Member

Post Number: 512
Veteran nuebie,

Yes, I am a Sydney dweller, although not an Aussie. Let's just say that cricket is not my favourite subject just now.

With two XP computers networked via ethernet, they should be able to see each other, especially if they share the same workgroup name. Each should have full read and write access to the "Shared Documents" folder in the other computer without the need for a password. I personally think this is rather UNsecure. W2000 computers can access XP machines in the same way.

To access a Win2000 machine, from another Win2000 machine or from an XP machine, you need a user name and password. This user name and password must be set up as a user, and could be either the normal W2000 machine owner, or some special ID set up for file sharing. Folders marked as "shared" will be visible to this user once logged in across the network. I like that system much more!

Implementing a firewall can block any or all of these activities, with no relevance to passwords.

Short answer is: XP is LESS secure than W2000. An XP machine can very easily be used as the accesed sharing point due to the "Shared Doucments" folder, both for sending and receiving documents (think about it).

Cheers.

Crownsville, Maryland

Post Number: 5
I changed the firewire controller driver to one that comes with W2K. The result was exactly the same behavior.

Silver Member

Post Number: 522
Jserle,

The apparently well-researched website I gave you the link for above suggests that there are a number of incompatibility scenarios between firewire cards and camcorders that can cause symptoms like the one you are observing. So it might be worth trying to borrow (or even buy for $20) another firewire card.

Thoughts?

Cheers.

Crownsville, Maryland

Post Number: 6
I have acquired a Texas Instr. chip based firewire card. Interestingly, windows 2000 (SP4)does recognize firewire cards with a VIA chip vs one with a TI chip and loads the appropiately labled firewire driver. When my JVC GR-D73 gets back from vacation, I will see if I can now perform DV transfer via the TI firewire card. I will hold off uninstalling any software at this point.

Silver Member

Post Number: 572
Jserle,

News recently in from another user is that he solved his "can control camera but only gets a black preview screen" problem by un-installing all his capture programmes (Sony Picture Package and Ulead Videostudio in his case) then just re-installing Ulead VideoStudio.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/photography/140913.html

(Just in case you did decide some software stuff was worth a try)

Cheers
PS: By the way, due to me now starting a new job after a long "holiday", effective immediately I shall no longer be able to contribute to these pages on such a frequent basis

Bronze Member

Crownsville, Maryland

Post Number: 11
I was finally able to capture DV from my JVC GR-D73 with a new Firewire card from Keyspan that has a TI chip. My previous firewire card with a VIA chip just gave me the black screen. The capture software was Image Mixer 1.7. My OS is W2K running on an Athlon XP 2900+.

jvc owner
Unregistered guest
i have a mini dv jvc GR-D270 can sombody tell me how to install my cam thrue a firewire connection
all i have done is conect the cam with my computer with the firewire cable but i can not get it installed. I get wizard sayin that it could not find the necesary software to get the driver installed

Unregistered guest
Hi, i own a JVC GRD33, and got the same proble you got, I can control the tape but no video signal. The strange thing is that this is a brand new AMD pc, when i plug the 1394 card into my old Intel pc, i get a video signal !!! same has windows XP sp2. I tried plugging it to my laptop (IBM A31p) and it also working !!! is it cause it is an AMD system ?

Did anyone solve this? Pleaselet me know, I NEED HELP

Fixer_Paul
Unregistered guest
I just got a GR-DZ7 and you guessed it the FW capture did not work on my XP pro. It took me a few hours but I solved it like this:
1 I disabled the current HD.
2 I added an old HD to my PC.
3 I installed a fresh XP with SP2 onto the HD.
4 I did not install any JVC supplied software.
5 I booted, updated the system, audio drivers etc.
6 I turned on the camcorder, windows found a device and made it ready, moviemaker took over from there.
7 I upgraded to mediaplayer10 to solve some replay issues in the captured video.
8 I made the two HDs see eachother for file swapping.

I boot into the "JVC" XP when I need to capture video otherwise I just use my normal XP boot.

If any of the above is unclear then do not try to follow my approach as you will probably screw up the PC entirely.

Before this I had been faffing around for ages with SP1&2, drivers for this, codecs for that. I had already spoken with JVC who assured me that it was a faulty camcorder. Working in IT, I thought I'd give the fresh install a go (manufacturers test their devices on fresh systems, not ones that have been used for ages and have accumulated the usual junk)

In the end the fresh install approach worked.

I'm a PC expert and it took me half a day to resolve this one less experienced people may not be so lucky.

Paul

Bronze Member

Crownsville, Maryland

Post Number: 12
I have found that JVC is completely reluctant to admit that their camcorders are fussy about the firewire card used (need Texas Instrument chip) and the operating system (need SP2 for XP and SP4 for W2K). They are good at blaming software, such as Pixela. Thank you Fixer_Paul for yet another work around.

Username: Hawkie

Sweden

Hello guys, just found this thread via google.
I have a JVC GR-D20E and none of the above tips work. So i reinstalld XP pro again, still no results, so I installed SP1, nothing. I can controll the cam but there is no picture, no matter what I do(basiclly used the search function on this forum and followed every step there is to take).

The system is AMD64 3400+ with an ATI9800Pro. The motherboard is an Asus K8V-X(with the VIA chipset), 512mb DDR.

I am getting sick n tierd of this. The 1394 controller is the one that comes with the Hercules Action DVD edition, dunno what chip. Vendor 11C1, device 5811.

I know that the problem is windows related cuz I´ve recorded stuff from this cam before, another AMD system(XP2400+). I´ve tried all the patches related to 1394. Nothing seems to help.

I´ve spent alot of time trying to correct this, still nothing. Its freaking stupid that you have to spend MORE money and buy another M$ product just to get your cam to work(pointing fingers at win2k). Anyways, hope any of you guys can help me.

cheers

Unregistered guest
To Fixer_Paul: the only cable I found on the box for GR-DZ7 is a usb-2-usb cable, is that the FW cable your referring to? thx

Unregistered guest
I have a jvc mini dv camcorder dvl 120. I want to use it as a recorder from my dvd recorder/player. The camcorder has an svideo and av but I believe they are both out only. (I tried the av as an in but nothing happened. I haven't tried the svideo next to it but it may be the same, out only.) I have a firewire connection that sends video out from the camcorder to the computer where I edit the material on Studio program. The Studio program can send a signal back through the firewire and I can record on the jvc camcorder with no problems. The problem is I want to record from a dvd player that has an svideo out, comp out, and coaxial out. It does not have a firewire out. Is there some kind of wire or conversion that I can use. Answer here or email me at Curtisprod@msn.com.Thanks...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us