Canon sd500 vs Sony DSC-W7

Username: Jonny5

Post Number: 1
I'm looking to buy a digital point and shoot camera. I think I've narrowed it down to 2 just released cameras, the Canon sd500 and the Sony dsc-w7. They both seem similar in their specs and are both 7 MP cameras. Does anybody have a suggestion on which to go with.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2836
Go with the camera that can turn on almost instantaneously without delay. Also go with the camera brand that is dedicated to making cameras.

François MOREAU
Unregistered guest
I'm looking also to buy a digital camera. Sony W7 and Canon SD500 are the last candidates in my list.
SD500 support SD card and it's advantage for me. ;)
But I don't have more technical advantage for one of them. Somebody others ?

Darrell
Unregistered guest
I bought a SD500 a week ago, replacing my Olympus C-50, which gave great service for 2-1/2 years. I'm very happy so far -- faster start-up and shutter response; smaller and fits even easier in my pocket; different but intuitive controls; good movie mode; bigger and brighter display; and good photos.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2844
Get the Canon. Sony always uses proprietary equipment. Canon uses the industry standards, a much better camera.

Anonymous

go with canon, always have been one of the best camera manufacturers

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 110
There was a similar thread last week & they went with the Canon and reported being very happy. As Berny said, go with the established camera maker who does not use proprietary storage media.

Silver Member
Username: Tafkam

Texas

Post Number: 161
Hi, I just wanted to add my input to this as I was recently faced with the same situation and decided on the Sony. The Canon is small, actually too small for my liking. The Sony has a better looking LCD in my opinion and also is easier to hold when taking a picture.

As far as storage media goes, yes the Sony uses the "memory stick" but then again there is still the Compact Flash, SD, and xD cards out there too, so there really is no standard media.

Not to disagree with the experts here but in my case, I really preferred the Sony, and yes they make all kinds of producs and Canon makes only cameras and printers as far as I know, but then again, when I really took a close look at these side by side I decided on the Sony and felt I made a good choice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
Our point was that only Sony uses their memory format and they will only use their own memory format. CF is the most common format out there and is not controlled by any one manufacturer (example: I switched from a Nikon P&S to a Canon DSLR and can use the same memory in both cameras..and can use the same as my sister's Kodak P&S and Nikon DSLR). For me it's a better one as the size is about right & is a more robust package; some of the others are just too small & easily lost and/or damaged.

The other point was that Canon has been making cameras and lenses (most importantly) for decades and has a pretty good handle on it. Not that the Sony is particularly a bad camera, and IIRC they claim to use Carl Zeiss glass. If the Sony works best for you, then great & I hope you have good luck with it. A friend of mine has a Sony & likes it pretty well, but I wouldn't have made the same choice myself.

bifi
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony DSC W12 (5MP) since a year, which from most of the specs is similar to the DSC W7. It is an excellent camera. I will give it to my daughter now and I will get a DSC W7 for myself.

My reasons: Sony has the excellent Zeiss optics included (there is hardly a company out there having such long experience and high quality). It has a pretty fast exposure. Sony has long experience and good quality in video cams. The proprietary storage media are no strong argument against: either you keep your camera for long, then you don't care if the storage media are proprietary or not, or you want to buy a new camera then I would bet that in most cases you would buy new storage media with it ( if I give it to my daughter she need storage media, if I sell it the buyer will need storage media); and storage media are certainly becoming cheaper and more performant.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 163
Chris and Berny, I got your point, was not trying to argue as I stated before, but just wanted to point out that at least for me, the Sony W-7 was a better choice. Still love it and glad I kept it over the Canon. BUT did not mean to insult anybody by disagreeing. I have done prints with it both at home with HP 8450 and at a photo lab and must say I am very impressed still.

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
No problem. I didn't take it that way, just clarifying why I felt the Canon or Nikon is overall a beter choice in my opinion. Obviously it isn't for you & that's fine. Without choices the world would be a pretty boring place :-)

Username: Redjr

I think both companies make good cameras. Canon probably has the edge on optics, while Sony has the edge on electronics and miniaturization. But a good cameras is all about optics. So I vote for the SD500.

In fact, I just got myself one, but haven't had the time yet to play with it alot. It is small, maybe too small, and prone to slip right out of your hand. Be sure and always put the wrist strap on! I'm seriously thinking about putting those tiny little 'grip-strips' on in a couple key locations, but there aren't any without covering something up. They work great, and this camera shouts for them.

redjr...

Anonymous

I just bought the SD500 and I am not sure yet if I am going to keep it. I always had Canon equipment, but this one doesn't feel right. It is too small and does not have any sort of handle. It always feels as if I am going to drop it any minute. Some features require holding down the shutter button halfway while pushing buttons on the back - almost impossible!
The pictures come out pretty well, though. I have some issues with the macro modes. I have seen that better on other cameras before.

The Sonys I just don't like. I know too many people who ended up with malfunctioning digital cameras. Batteries and memory are too expensive.

I am thinking about exchanging the SD500 for an S70, which is basically the same camera only a little bigger, with a lens cover, raw images and a better wide-angle lens. Should have bought it in the first place but fell for the SD500's styling and viewfinder.

Unregistered guest
I have the Sony DSC-W7 and I absolutely love it. I looked at the cannon too but I have big hands and the Sony was the better fit. I like the display better too. It is easy to use and the pictures look fantastic. I have to say I am partial to Sony. Every electronic except my PC's are Sony. Never had any problem with any sony product except for a phone I had a long time ago. IMHO this is a great camera.

Unregistered guest
I think the major disadvantage to the Sony memory stick is being able to use it in other devices such as a palm or as most new TV's (except Sony) have a slot for an SD card. So if you want to move your memory from one device to another it has to be a Sony product. Not so great if your friends or relatives don't have a sony.
Some of you may remember the battle between beta and vhs when video casetttes were new. Some people liked beta better but vhs was universally available for all manufacturers to supply the players. I love the Sony product but it just bothers me that they try to control the consumer with a restricted media.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 171
Thought I would chime in one last time here, as I am still very impressed with the Sony W-7. Like a couple of folks have said before, when I got the Canon it was such a nice camera BUT it felt too small and had nothing to hold on to in the front (the Sony has a little place where your finger rests naturally) and if I remember correctly the viewfinder on the Canon was kind of the middle so I would always rub my big nose against the LCD when I used the viewfinder. The W-7 has the viewfinder on the left side of the camera so it clears my nose, so to speak.

Reminds me of "Full Metal Jacket" Sgt Hartman says to Gomer, "Move your rifle around your head, not your head around the rifle" kind of thing.

But, for me the Sony just feels better. As far as the batteries go for this particular model, it uses NiMh AA which I have plenty of anyway, so that was a plus. They last a good long time also (I have really good 2500 mAh ones) AND in a pinch you can use disposables. I think a spare battery for the Canon was at least 30 bucks or so, so saved some money that way.

Last, the memory card thing really never bothered me. I have a 12 in one reader that will cover just about anything, plus for travel I got a little Memory Stick reader that I can plug in to any computer's USB port if I want to show pics to friends or while on the road.

Before I sound too much for a commercial by Sony, I want to say that in my research prior to buying a digital camera a looked at a lot of reviews, some of which really did not recommend Sony, so that is why I got the Canon first. But it just was not for me. A very nice camera, but for the aforementioned reasons I returned it and got the Sony and am still glad I did.

As Chris already stated, some of these things are just personal preference. In my opinion you really do have to get these cameras out of the store and into real life situations to see if you are comfortable using them. Too bad they don't let you take them out of the store and try them like they do cars.

And of course there is the most important reason of all, both cameras take great pictures! I just had to pick the one that was most comfortable for me.
Anybody else reading this should take heed, if you are going to spend over 400 bucks of your hard earned money on a camera, make sure it is the most comfortable you can find so you use it a lot, I have already taken over 1000 pictures with mine and I love it (although my wife is a little sick of me trying to get sneaky pictures of her with that green goo moisterizer on her face) but then that is another plus the Sony is pretty quick even in darker areas using the flash, but that is another story........

Anonymous

I must say i am impressed with the coversation.. canon vs sony. I am too stuck up as to what to buy and have been doing research for a long time on this. This is my first time in buying a digital camera. Though I prefer Canon due to its durability but sony is irrestable too. Plz help me finding the best camera. I have chosen Canon IXUS 55 and Sony T5. The only issue I have with canon is that its not comfortable to hold to.
My preference is:
LCD- 2.5
5 MP
Burst mode
Bright LCD
Comfortable to hold (my husband has large hand :-))`
Less shutterlag time
Xtras
Easy modes
movitime -ok
Berny, do help me in this .
Thanks

Anonymous

I must say i am impressed with the coversation.. canon vs sony. I am too stuck up as to what to buy and have been doing research for a long time on this. This is my first time in buying a digital camera. Though I prefer Canon due to its durability but sony is irrestable too. Plz help me finding the best camera. I have chosen Canon IXUS 55 and Sony T5. The only issue I have with canon is that its not comfortable to hold to.
My preference is:
LCD- 2.5
5 MP
Burst mode
Bright LCD
Comfortable to hold (my husband has large hand :-))`
Less shutterlag time
Xtras
Easy modes
movitime -ok
Berny, do help me in this .
Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 4304
I think tafkam has put in a pretty good statement for the choices you can make:-)

Those are both small cameras so I don't know if either one will be comfortable to hold with large hands.

I am not a big fan of Sony cameras. I feel that they are made to be disposable so my views are biased. The company is just too diverse and cannot concentrate on too many products. I like sticking with companies that specialize in imaging technology.

If you like the Sony camera, tell me why you find it irrisistible? You have already specified the criteria for the camera you want, what would push you to purchase one brand over the other?

Nidhi
Unregistered guest
Berny, being a layman in this field, From the first look Sony looks much more stylish than Canon. I think u wont disagree with me on that.

Well, the fact is my husband (he too is layman in this field!)is prefers Sony due to this stylish factor whereas I still would like to go with Canon XUS 55. the only thing is that Canon is too small to hold and I am thus looking for different canon camera but the search is on!

Berny, what are the specific reasons for not preferring Sony? just because they use proprietary equipments?

I went to this site http://www.cameras.co.uk/details/canon-ixus-55.cfm where both my camera reviews were almost same :-( thus am confused again.

I need to have strong points to prove to my husband that I was right in choosing canon in the long run... so I am looking for a really good advice!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4319
Strictly on my experience.

Sony is not a camera maker. When something goes wrong with the camera, tech support does not enough about photography to be of any help. They will find ways to make sure that the problem is yours alone and that whatever wen twrong with the camera is your fault. My experience with Canon, Nikon, Minolta and Leica, is that if there is a problem with the camera they would know what to do, because that is the only product they specialize...imaging technology. I can tell you right now that my old Nikon F1 and F3 can still be serviced by Nikon, and these cameras have been around. Do a google search on Nikon F1 and see how long they've been around.

How many photographers do you see carrying around Sony cameras? Don't get me wrong, Sony has some good features, but they are not set as the industry standard in photography. They have great technology built into them but try getting them serviced after 1 year. As I have said before, this camera is disposable. Sony will keep coming up with newer and more stylish models for mass consumption every year, and people will buy them just because they are new and they look really cool. A great way to sell cameras don't you think?

Don't let me mislead you though, Canon and Nikon will do the same thing. It is a business and they have to make money selling cameras and they do have to compete. That is why they offer cameras in the same niche. They have to cater to the masses so they can stay in business.

Here's the kicker, if your husband really likes the Sony because of style or whatever other reason, just get it. No amount of persuasion will convince him that what he did not get is better than what he is holding in his hands. He will always find a way to make the other choice better and that should tell you that the Canon was never the right choice.

If he is the occassional shooter and not really into photography, the Sony will work fine. The thing I like going for it is the shutter lag time. Very important if you want to capture those fleeting moments when you can't wait for the camera to turn on and take a picture. The Canon is slow when compared to this particular Sony. Plus the Ixus is old news already when compared to the new crop of digital cameras that came out just this August.

Just put it this way, if something goes wrong, you could always say "I told you so!" :-)

Nidhi
Unregistered guest
Thanks a lot for that extensive answer, Berny! I am glad someone is giving me wise advice. I am all in for canon as my first digital camera. True, the shutterlag time and the style of sony surpasses othet cameras but I think Canon still has some great features.

But I am surprised to know that IXUS is "old news" already?? All the shopkeepers have been telling me about IXUS being the latest and best of canon compact cameras. I live in Dubai.Maybe the models arrive late here :-(

The last piece of question: Which Canon Camera should I go in for as per my preferences? What are other latest and better canon cameras than IXUS. your advice is valuable.

About "I told you so" line..YEAH! but I wont be delighted to hear this line from my mouth too as loss would be ours!
TC

Gold Member

Post Number: 4331
Indeed, the IXUS Line is one of the best that Canon makes in their compact line. IXUS 55 is the latest in their 5 MP cameras (I have it confused with the last IXUS 50). If you want something bigger that may fit better in your husband's hands go for the IXUS 750. But the latest and the greatest is the IXUS Digital Wireless. I don't know how great it is I'm just speculating, I haven't seen it:-)

I think it is wonderful that you think in those terms of the loss being both yours. Reminds of a saying "It does not matter that the husband and wife are looking into each others eyes, what matters is that they are both looking in the same direction!"

Why don't you both look at the IXUS 750, perhaps then you will both like it.

NIdhi
Unregistered guest
yeah, let me check on them too. Thanks Berny! Hopefully we both would be seeing in same direction!
Will update you on the same
TC

Gold Member

Post Number: 4332
You are welcome. Good luck on your camera search!

Unregistered guest
I am buying a digital camera for my boyfriend. He already has a Canon PowerShot, I'm not sure of the model but I know it is a 2megapixel camera. He has had it about 3 years and seems to like it, he just wants something smaller (that will fit more easily into his pocket). He does complain that the button gets stuck when taking pictures sometimes and the time difference when the button is pushed and the picture actually takes can result in blurry pictures.

He is not a professional photographer by any means, but he does like to play with photoshop and similar software.

Also, I noticed people talking about the memory for each camera...is there a difference in what can be used? I don't really understand that, either.

I believe I have my choice narrowed down to the Canon SD400 or the Sony DSC-W5. Both are 5 megapixel cameras and are smaller and more compact that what he currently has. I have read the previous posts on Canon vs Sony and unfortunately, I don't feel much more informed!

If anyone has suggestions or help for me, I would really appreciate it!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4421
Canon, hands down. Better lens and chromatic aberration is very minimal. Construction is better too, just look at your boyfriend's camera track record! By this time most Sony's are already on the blink. The choice here is obvious.

The time lag should no longer be a problem and the power up sequence is now very quick, so you should be very happy with that.

For the memory, you should be looking at SD memory cards. Get at least a 512mb card and it should suffice, unless your boyfriend goes crazy with the camera. You can capture approximately 200 pictures at the highest setting and double that if he will be using the lowest quality settings.

contractjl
Unregistered guest
Just bought and used in Mexico the Sony DSC-W7.
The pictures were fantastic and the shutter lag time was never a problem. The reports of blurry pictures if you moved must be due to novice picture takers. Even on a rolling boat my pictures were rock stable. Use the manual speed shutter and 'F' stops. They really work.Love the camera and the 512mb memory keeps on ticking as do the batteries.

Username: Sonyspare

We are Sony Original Spares sellers for Audio and Video of consumer, professional and Broadcast category.
Our prices and services are found to be good by many distributors and we are in this field for many years.
We request you to consider us as an alternate vendor for you.
For Sony CCD's, LCD's & all the other products of consumer, Professional & Broadcast Equipments, Please mail us your enquiries at sharmila@originalspares.com
Looking forward for your comments.
Best regards,
Sharmila

Videolabs
A503, Bhaweshwar Arcade,
L.B.S.Marg,Ghatkopar-West,
Mumbai-400086
India
Telefax: 91 22 25006056
E mail: sharmila@originalspares.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 5129
get out of here spam scum

Bronze Member
Username: Djwages

Post Number: 24
Sony has really gone to S&*T! Not that they ever did make good cameras. I won't even buy Sony TVs anymore. And when it does comes to cameras you'd be better off buying Nike Tires for your McDonald's Car than buy a Sony camera. Stick with Canon for the P&S's. The SD line takes wonderful photos considering their size.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5166
That's why the spammer above has an actual business on Sony spareparts

Pip
Unregistered guest
I did very extensive research on both Canon SD550 and Sony DSC-W7. The best way to compare two cameras is to see the same prictures taken from both cameras. This is possible only by looking at the great website www.imaging-resource.com. They shoot a lot of pictures with detail description on each shot, which gives you an idea what to look for. I bought Sony because I liked the prictures better. I had Canon ( different model ) before and soome of the menus were complicated and I must admit that Sony is way easier to operate. If somebody complain about lenses they should read about Carl Zeiss a little more, because these lenses are used in very expensive professional cameras and camcorders too, so suggesting that Canon lenses are better is just flat wrong. It also comes down to comparison like Toyota vs Honda. I think both cameras are great, they both take great pictures and choosing one comes down to what smoneone prefers, chunkier camera like Sony or pocket size Canon.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6199
Carl Zeiss is a great lens maker, that was not even questioned nor relevant, but Sony is not a great camera maker. Just because they put it on a Sony does not elevate its mediocrity to greatness. But if you like it, then by all means enjoy it. Canon has lost touch with the consumer level snap shot taker given the layout of its cameras, but it is still a better camera.

Silver Member

Post Number: 289
The lens is the best part of the Sony cameras. But, to me it's like like putting a Toyota engine in a Trabant.

Anonymous

hello! read all your points and interested in your experts' view! I'm searching for bying a digital camera - actually i might even go tomorrow morning - and to help you advise me correct, here are my criteria: at least 5mp, compact if possible, 2.5'screen; I would also like it to have zoom at least 3x (bigger would be even better). The most important for me is the quality of pictures (colours, clarity, etc); I'm one of those people who really enjoy taking photos (especially of landscapes or portraits) and it's like a hobby to me.

I am mainly exploring CANON IXUS 750 or CANON IXUS 55 - with rivals the SONY T5 or SONY T9. Canon or Sony? If Canon, then 750 or 55? What do you think? Are Sony lenses Carl Zeis better than Canon's?

I'm also thinking of Olympus MJU600D or MJU800 (is Olympus cameras any good compared to Canon or Sony??). Also saw the Olympus SP-500UZ which is in my price range and has a 10x zoom and 6mp; unfortunately it's not very compact but do you think it's worth it?

Also thinking of KODAK V550 (i've heard that Kodak uses superb Schneider-Kreuznach lenses). How do Kodak cameras compare to Canon and Sony models i mentioned on the top? which Kodak model do you recommend?

I've also read that CASIO exilim cameras are very good (which model though??) and do their lenses compare to Canon's?

And last but not least, is it worth paying a little bit more to get 7mp instead of 5mp? (i'm inclined to bying a 7mp camera...)

Lot's of questions, huh... I'm sorry if my questions sound silly to yourselves being the experts, but your opinions would help me clear my thoughts. Based on my criteria for buying, what would you advise is best? What are the pros and cons for the cameras i mentioned above? Could you rate them?!

(costs of all mentioned cameras do not differentiate very much in my country, so this is not an issue)

Very many thanks and your prompt replies will be much appreciated!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6284
Welcome to the forum.

You can narrow it down to 3
Canon ixus750 - quick focus easy operation. Lousy controls. Better camera and better reputation as a camera maker than Sony. Doesn't matter if Sony has a Carl Zeiss lens. Better controls and more intuitve than Canon.

Casio Exilim EX600- very intuitve camera controls with great white balance, very improtant if you are ahobbyist with rudimentary knwoledge of exposure. Good lens, I believe made by Canon. Unsure about reputation but still one great camera. Pictures from Canon are slightly better but you will be happy as it meets llyour requirements.

Olympus is also a great camera maker. A little less control but simplification makes up for it as the features are those that you will really use. If it is too bulky and you really want a compact camera you will not like the SP-500 becaue you will find too inconvenient to put in your pocket.

Forget the Kodak...pictures are too grainy and not all as great as the any of the 3 above.

Don't worry about the megapixels.

Username: Juk

Berny and everybody else, who says not very nice things about Sony,
You are all not very knowledgeable and don't give full information on your "perfect" Canon. Most of the Canon cameras experience Canon E18 Error. Just google it and you will see how many people have this problem. Canon's lenses are not a good quality and retraction is very weak. In addition, if you drop your Canon camera kiss it good bye.
I had Sony myself for about 5 years; it was one the first digital cameras. I loved it and used it on all my trips. Few days ago I purchased another camera - Sony DSC W100, and absolutely love it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8009
I will continue to say not very nice things about Sony because that ismy experience. If you don't like that's too bad, life goes on.

I never made any conclusive remarks about Canons or Nikons being perfect.

And I suppose you are very knowledgeable? Why don't you try dropping your Sony, you are deluding yourself if you think that you won't be kissing it goodbye as well. Drop any digital camera and you can pretty much damge it. That was a stupid and a remarkably idiotic argument.

What made you come to the conclusion that Canon's lenses are very weak? Or is this another one of your idiotic conclusions? What do you consider a good quality lens...nevermind don't answer that, you'll probably read some website and claim it as your own.

If you like Sony, so be it, enjoy yourself. The Canon E18 error is real, and no one is refuting that. But have you any idea how many Technical Service Bulletins sony have had with their cameras? Did you know that when they made the sensor chips for all the other camera makers...screwed it up so bad that the camera makers decided to keep their designs in house.

If you think that Sony is perfect for you, good for you. But next time, make sure that you give full information on your "perfect" Sony, because you haven't.

Just look around this forum and read about all the problems with Sony cameras, but perhaps you think it doesn't happen to perfect cameras.

Username: Juk

Post Number: 2
Berny,

I am questioning your knowledge about digital cameras, but one thing I don't doubt, that is you are very rude and ignorant person. NOBODY SHOULD TAKE ANY ADVICE FROM YOU.

Silver Member

Post Number: 324
Take a look in the mirror.

I'm happy for you that you like your camera. Don't take our opinions of Sony's products as a personal attack.

Berny is probably one of the least rude & most knowedgeable users on this entire site. Now go over to DPR & have fun with the trolls there.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8019
I love these trolls:-)

No imagination and so void of intelligent comebacks.

Chris, you give me too much credit:-)...you should see the way I treat spammers LOL.

Username: Jenna_kaine

New London, WI USA

Please help! :-) I have little experience in digital cameras. My first, a Konica-Minolta Z3. A great camera with lots of features but has no image stabilizer so MANY of my photos end up blurry. Also, slow focus time so that leads to problems, too. I'm currently looking at the Canon SD550 or SD600. I'm really looking most for image stability to eliminate the shakes or blurs. I've also heard good things about Sony's Cybershot series. Could you do some comparing for me? I consider myself an intermediate photographer who looks for a good traveling camera.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8042
Hello Jenna and welcome to the forum. Read around the forum some more on the Canon Sony debate and you will come up with your own information about their differences. Blurry pictures from a point and shoot digital usually happens because of the cameras limitations specially if you use the automatic features all the time and unless you learn how to overcome this limitations an image stabilizer might not help. Try shooting at a higher shutter speed and see the results you get.

An image stabilizer usually concentrates on steadying the camera but if the shutter speed is slow and the subject is moving, you will still end up with a blurry picture.

Do an internet search on "shutter speed" and you can learn how to minimize the blur on moving subjects. After that you can do more research between Sony and Canon. You can also search this forum for the Canon Sony discussions and you will come to a determination.

Go play with your camera...film is cheap:-)

Username: Asami

my first digicam was Sony P-73 lost it doh thnks to some miscaring by me. I noticed something, that has got very very high resolution LCD. I have yet to see another Hi-res LCD in any other camera model.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8134
Yes the LCD resolution is the benchmark of a great camera.

Silver Member

Post Number: 327
LOL

Jenna, go read up on reviews at DPReview and Steve's Digicams. Then make up your own mind which camera would be best for you.

Post Number: 2
i didnt say its a benchmark, I meant to ask which models in canon are available with hi-rez lcds

Silver Member

Post Number: 329
AFAIK they are all the same resolution, or at least close enough to not make a difference. The main differences are 1.8", 2.0" and 2.5", obviously the bigger the screen the clearer the image.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8180
ASAR,

A high resolution lcd is irrelevant, but if you have to know...there's the 30D, 5D and the EOS 1D, S3-IS, Powershot A-700, SD-550,SD-450.

My question to you is, what is your basis that can make you quantify an LCD's resolution as "very very high"? Did you measure the luminance or the pixel count?

Post Number: 3
lol @ "very very high" i think i exaggerated ;)

yea the pixel count or "size to pixel-count" ratio

SD500 -> 2.0" : 118000
SD550 -> 2.5" : 115000
W7 -> 2.5" : 115000
P73 -> 1.5" : 67000
A430 -> 1.8" : 77000

Interestingly, SD500 has small screen but higher pixel count ration than W7 counter part.

Obviously LCD doesn't matter but when it creates so much confusion while deciding between two camera brands, i think it may help to narrow down further the choices.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8216
hmm very interesting, now, how does this relate to the type of photographs you can take? And I am not talking about the quality of prints you can make...

A photograph of the perfect moment taken by a 3 megapixel camera is worth more than a picture of a person with their eyes closed taken by a 10 megapixel camera...don't you think?

Post Number: 5
not at all dear berny, i never said that. Just mentioned another feature of cameras here.

Silver Member

Post Number: 333
I don't think the various LCD specs cause that much confusion. This is the first thread I've ever seen trying to use LCD as a buyijng factor. IMHO the specific LCD makes so little difference that I have never even paid any attention to them when comparing specs--heck I keep mine off except for menu access 90% of the time now.

Post Number: 6
I admit not a buying feature, where do i have said that? just discussed a feature of Cameras

Silver Member

Post Number: 334
It's seemed that way to me. Since that isn't where you are going with the discussion, no worries. I just didn't want to see someone buy a camera based on the LCD specs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8218
Wow...you actually did a pixel count...very impressive.

Username: Bright4life

Winterthur, Zurich Switzerland

HI,
Please i have same cyber-shot like yours,but the problem am having i lost my cd-rm,i have tried to see if there is any means to download the software,i could'nt find.can u please help me?
MY REGARD

Post Number: 8
i didnt count anything. dpreview dot com provides the specs
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us