D70, Cool Pix 3100 & Nikonview, Picture Project

Username: Melissam

Glendora, CA USA

Post Number: 1
Just purchased D70 and currently have Coolpix 3100 and were using nikon view. when I went to install picture project it asked me to uninstall nikonview and install picture project; will that cause me to loose any photographs already in nikon view or is that just like an upgrade?
Also, any advice for me regarding the D70. First I had the coolpix and it was not getting the shot I wanted; Next bought the N75 to see if I was really serious about photography and I loved that camera only it was not digital and I spent too much on film and processing. so now I decided I need the D70. Just got it today and am trying to get familiar with it. It seems I could use a class or two in basic photograph though. It is just like the N75, which is pleasantly familiar. I am excited to get started.
So what do I do about the nikonview vs. picture project? Can I still use picture project with the coolpix?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2098
You can use picture project in place of nikonview and the pictures you currently have should not be affected at all. And yes, you can still use the picture project with the coolpix.

However, if you are planning on getting a better photo editing software, I would not even install picture project. Picture Project is a very rudimentary photo editing software, but it is not very capable of what I want it to do. So, if you are just using the software to view pictures, stick with Nikon View. I'm still using Nikon View and editing pictures using Photoshop CS.

As far as advice, my first would be to read the manual or get a book called "Complete Guide to the Nikon D70" by ThomHogan. It is an e-book and very informative and should tell you about your camera and its various capabilities a lot simpler than the thick and confusing manual. Get familiar with proper exposures, metering, ISO Speed, shutter speed and apertures.

Also, try to get your hands on the Nikon Speedlight SB800 or SB600.

phil murphy
Unregistered guest
have installed nikon view software but desktop icon won't open the software, it just flashes once an then stops. have uninstalled and reinstalled several times with no luck. any suggestions please?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2195
phil,
go to the nikon usa website

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

Reg Sturt
Unregistered guest
Is there any way that .mov files can be read in Windows Movie maker. It seems strange for Nikon to adopt Quicktime without a facility to store in .wmv format, which I find easier to use.
I am a Coolpix 4200 owner.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2318
you can get a media file converter.

http://www.deskshare.com/dmc.aspx

Michele
Unregistered guest
Just tried to use picture project with my new Nikon Coolpix 3200, does it really not even have an option to resize the photos???!! What does it do exactly?
On another note, most pictures I take outdoors with Coolpix appear either over or under exposed. Completely different from what appears in the monitor of the camera than on the computer screen. Anyone know why?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2327
No, the picture project is just a tool to organize and enhance photos. You can also crop, adjust color, but it is not meant to be a full photo editing tool. It is just a simple tool for the point and shoot person. If you want more features, get the Adobe PhotoElements or Photoshop.

As far as the monitor in the camera and the computer monitor...they will be different. You have to calibrate your monitor to reflect the proper colors. The camera monitor is not the same as your computer monitor. I won't be surprised if your printing is not the same as what you see on your monitor.

Anonymous

My husband and I have the same problem. He just bought the D70 and I have the Coolpix 3100. He has to uninstall my Nikonview to install his picture project 1.0 but I use Nikon view primarily to transfer pictures from my camera to my computer--I presume picture project does the same thing. Will I be able to transfer my pictures using either software and is that true for the D70 as well?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2478
Yes, you can.
You can even re-install NikonView after picture project.
If you are familiar with NikonView you really don't need to install picture project. It is very rudimentary and not as good as Adobe PhotoElements. The photo editing software is not good at all.

Suzie, formerly anonymous
Unregistered guest
Does it matter which one we transfer pictures from on either camera? In other words, can the D70 use Nikonview? I think we will try picture project--I only care about transferring pics and my camera has a firmware upgrade that will allow picture project transfer control from the camera button, so I'm covered. I was worried the D70 wouldn't be able to read Nikonview software.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2516
Suzie,
If you already have the NikonView to transfer your pics from the Coolpix Camera, there really is no need for another program to tranfer pics from the D70. The computer will immediately transfer the pics from the D70 to your computer as soon as you plug in the memory card to the computer.
It will even distinguish between the 2 different cameras and will name the file according to which camera the pictures came from.
And from my experience with a lot of Nikon Digital SLRs, it is always better to transfer your pictures by using a compact flash card reader. Transferring direct from the camera is just too slow as the D70 uses USB1, plus it uses up the power of the camera's battery.
I highly advise against Picture Project it is really useless.

Michele
Unregistered guest
Hi Berny, thanks for your help. With respect to resizing I have the Coolpix 3200 which allows for the option of reducing but the pictures look very different (read bad). Is this usual? Is the only way to resize is to purchase imaging software?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2677
Michele,
First you have to let me know how you are resizing the pictures. Then we can find a better way.

How are you taking the pictures. When you configure the camera, are you using high quality and large pictures or are you using small and normal? This makes a lot of difference.

When taking pictures, make sure that you are using the highest and largest quality from the start. If you are trying to save space and try to cram more pictures in to your memory card, the quality will really suffer.

Any imaging software is only as good as the quality of pictures that it has to start with. It can only fix a problem to a certain degree and is certainly not a good cure.

Unregistered guest
I UNDERSTAND THAT PICTURE PROJECT IS A VERY BASIC TOOL USED TO DOWNLOAD AND ORGANISE PICTURES, BUT CAN YOU NOT ZOOM IN, CROP AND PRINT ? I CAN ZOOM IN AND REPOSITION THE PICTURE BUT I DONT SEE HOW TO PRINT IN THAT EDITED STATE.

USMC56
Unregistered guest
I'M A LONGTIME FILM USER AND JUST PURCHASED A D70. I BOUGHT THE CAMERA BODY AND A 24-120MM VR LENS. I JUST FOUND OUT THIS IS A FILM, NOT A DIGITAL LENS.WILL MY IMAGE QUALITY SUFFER?

ALSO, I PURCHASED NIKON CAPTURE 4.1 AND PHOTOSHOP CS 8.0 --- STUDENT VERSION. IS THIS THE BEST PROTOCAL --- LOAD TO THE CAMERA DOWNLOAD ICON THAT COMES WITH 4.1,GO TO 4.1 CAPTURE FOR ANY EDITING,AND THEN TO PHOTOSHOP CS.

ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH "EXPODISC"WHITE BALANCE COMPENSATION?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2710
Pam,
After you do the cropping and editing, do you save the file?
After saving the edited file under a different name, you should be able to print it.
Zooming and repositioning is really not an editing tool, it is merely a way to examine the pictures that you have taken.
I would recommend Adobe Photoelements if you want a better editing tool.

USMC56,
The VR lens is a very nice piece of glass. It was designed for all Nikon cameras and it will work all of Nikon's bodies, digital or otherwise.

Now if you get glass that is designated as DX, then it is not recommended for other than digital cameras. It was designed with the smaller sensors on the digital slrs.

Nikon Capture and Photoshop CS are great photo editing software. However, if you already have Photoshop CS, you do not need to edit with Nikon Capture. NC is great for loading custom curves on your camera and great for controlling the camera in a studio setting by using your PC.

Unregistered guest
i have been using image expert for a long time, when i bought a d70 nikon it came with picture project or something like that... every time i try to use image expert lexar interups it i can now find the same pictures in my document emage expert and picture project what is up with that ???

Gold Member

Post Number: 2902
it is trying to view the pictures that you have by using different formats. If you don't want that to happen remove the nikon program and use image expert as your default picture organizer and editor.

Unregistered guest
Hi!PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I have a Nikon Coolpix 3100 and have just had my computer reformatted. The computer guy lost my Nikon View and I cant find my install CD. I have tried Nikon USA but with no luck. How can I re-install with no CD?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3024
If the computer guy lost your nikonview, he has to pay to get you a new one. Unless this computer guy is not a legitimate computer guy that is in the business of fixing computers.

NikonView is available in the Nikon USA website as a download.

Singapore Selvam
Unregistered guest
I'm having a lot of problems using Picture Project. I have a Coolpix and my husband recently bought a D70. I could not download the D70 pictures with NikonView - I kept getting an error message as the first picture was downloading. What went wrong?
Berny to Suzie wrote on 20 Jan 2005 advising not to bother installing Picture Project and to just stick with NikonView to transfer pics from the D70: "The computer will immediately transfer the pics from the D70 to your computer as soon as you plug in the memory card to the computer.
It will even distinguish between the 2 different cameras and will name the file according to which camera the pictures came from."
This did not work - I could not download the pictures - even when I used a compactflash reader. I don't know what to do. I don't like using Picture Project (I can't even read the reference manual disc) and I would really like to go back to using NikonView. Someone, please help!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3042
Singapore,
What is operating system? How are you downloading pictures taken with the Coolpix?
Do the pictures from the Coolpix download through a card reader?
Let me know so we can do a walk through.

Silver Member
Username: Claudermilk

Post Number: 125
There are options other than Nikon's bundled software. For downloading pictures I'm now using Downloader Pro from Breezesys; it does all that Nikon's software does and more. For viewing pictures Irfanview is a great freebie viewer.

Singapore Selvam
Unregistered guest
Berny, thanks for your assistance. Responding to your questions on May 20 ...
Operating system: on separate computers, one is Windows 2000, the other Windows XP.
Coolpix pictures were downloaded with a USB cable.
I have not tried downloading the Coolpix pictures by card, but the Coolpix card is readable.

A separate question - and in the meantime while this problem is being sorted out - using Picture Project, how do I retrieve the pictures downloaded previously, "Occasion A" (before the the most recent download - "Occasion B"). Using Picture Project, I can't seem to find Occasion A pictures, and they seem to have been replaced by Occasion B pictures. Occasion A pictures are however can be viewed from the main 'My Computer/My Pictures' file in the main Windows Start Up screen, but not on Picture Project?!?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3051
First, get rid of picture project and use another program to edit your photos.
Install NikonView and use it to extract photos from your memroy card. Do not use the camera to download to the pc. You have to set up the D70 to Mass or Peer to Peer on the USB. I forget exactly which, but then again use a card reader to move the pictures.
Nikon will assign a file name and folder to the pictures that is extracted from your memory card. This is the best way transfer from your camera to the PC. It also makes it easier to find. I have removed Picture Project from my computer and use Photoshop to edit pictures. It is not designed to extract your photos from the card reader. You can use it to opent he files in the card reader but you still have to tell it how to file and save. It really is a bad program. It is designed as a rudimentary editing program and not a filing/batching program. That is why you can see your pictures under the "My Computer/My pictures" file.

Russ Mello
Unregistered guest
Bernie, I just wanted to thank you for all you do here. I came, read, uninstalled all the useless stuff like picture project(couldn't get it to download out of my d70) and went and got the NikonView 6.2 then upgraded to 6.25. Now I can quickly and easily get my photos out of either my camera or off a reader, and it works flawlessly! I was frustrated and aggravated an hour ago, now I am elated!! You're a good man, I thank you for your dilligence and support!

Russ

Russ Mello
Unregistered guest
Apologies, I just noticed... Berny!

Username: Briang

Victoria, B.C Canada

Post Number: 1
So, let me get this right: You can not zoom in on a picture and keep the new picture with picture perfect but you can with the camera? So I guess you have to up load the picture into the camera, zoom in and then download it back into picture perfect to continue to enhance it OR you can go spend hundreds of dollars on photoshop to do a very basic job. It that right? Also picture perfect ver 1.5 is out but there is no download for it. Strange

Brian

Gold Member

Post Number: 3098
Huh? What are you talking about?

Silver Member

Post Number: 157
Let me see if I understand. You think that using the zoom function on the LCD on the camera is actually affecting the pictre file? It doesn't, all it's doing is zooming into the image that has been scaled down to display in a 1.8" LCD. Think about it, you are looking at an image that's probably on the order of 2,000 pixels more-or-less in each dimension that is being crammed onto a small display that has all of about 320,000 pixels. Try looking at an image full size (actual pixels) on a PC monitor at 1024x768 (far in excess of the resolution of the camera LCD)--you can't fit the whole image on it can you?

Put another way, my 20D take 8.2MP images. It will scale that 3520x2344 image down to display on the 1.8" LCD that has 118,000 pixels available; when printed at 300 DPI I can easily go to 13x19 with no pixelation.

If you really want to scale the image up, it can be done in many applications other than Photoshop (though, IMHO, done right PS does it best).

Never heard of picture perfect.

Unregistered guest
i need to find de plugin for the picture project 1.5, CAMERA CONTROL

SOMEONE HELP!!!!

http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/software/pictureproject/

Gold Member

Post Number: 3135
I think you want the Nikon Capture.
Do you want to control the camera using a PC? That is the product you want.
I don't think picture project has a camera control plugin. I just plain hate that useless program

Newdigi
Unregistered guest
If I uninstall Picture Project in favor of a better photo editing program, what steps need I take to avoid losing the pictures I'm currently storing in Picture Project?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3208
un-installing the program does not automatically erase the pictures.
However, stranger things have happened, so find out which files your pictures are stored in and back it up. Usually only the program gets removed.
Let us say your pictures are in a file under "My Pictures", they will remain there until you actually delete them yourself.

Newdigi
Unregistered guest
Thanks very much Berny. I'll give it a try.

Newdigi
Unregistered guest
Does anyone have an opinion on Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9 for use with the Coolpix S1?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3221
Your photo editing program has absolutely nothing to do with your camera.

With that said, i think that the Paint Shop Pro is an excellent tool for editing photos. Very intuitive and user friendly.

Unregistered guest
I have used Nikon View 6 with my Coolpix 3100, but when I upgraded from Windows ME to Windows XP Home, my View 6 won't open from either the desktop shortcut or running the program, and it doesn't execute to transfer photos when I connet my camera. The website hasn't a tip on this. Help? Thanks kindly

Gold Member

Post Number: 3230
choozhappy,
Uninstall the NikonView and install the latest one from the Nikon USA Website. The NikonView for the Windows ME does not automatically convert compatibility to the XP.

Lynniemae
Unregistered guest
Any suggestions? I recently went on a cruise and Princess burned pix off my memory card to CD- I'm using Picture Project-- and I can not enhance any of the pix that I downloaded from the CD's. I can enhance the ones fine that I transferred to Picture Project directly from my memory card- Does anyone know the reason for this? Or a solution? Thanks!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3291
you have to save the pictures as jpeg or tiff files on the hard drive of your computer. Then when you look at the file you can right click on the file as choose picture project to open the file. Fromt here you can edit the photo and saveit as a different file.

Unregistered guest
Hi Berny.

Thanks for all the advice. I have two quick questions. I have loaded the newest version of Nikonview on to a W98 machine, and it doesn't like it. Can you download older versions of Nikonview anywhere (i know version 6.1 works fine.)

Also, we are using a D100 at work, and need to save both NEF(RAW)and JPG images. Is there a firmware upgrade that will allow the camera to do this automatically (like the D70) or will we have to continue to manually convert them afterwards?

Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 3310
Val001,
Sorry but I have no other source of an older NikonView programs. Have you tried using the software that was provided with the D100? I'm sure it will have the older version of NikonView.

i don't understand your question regarding allowing the camera "to do this automatically". Are you referring to the camera saving files in NEF(RAW)+ JPEG into the memory card? I haven't seen a firmware that will do this for the D100. Until then you will have to convert from NEF to JPG manually. I have not played with a D100 in 2 years so most of my experience is no longer reliable for that particular model.

You can access NikonUSA's website if they have a firmware upgrade like that. you can also e-mail them and they are usually prompt with a pretty concise reply.

Anonymous

Lynniemae
The attribute of each photo (or folder) might be set to READ ONLY.
To change that right click on the photo,select properties, uncheck READ ONLY at the bottom of the menu

Gold Member

Post Number: 3325
I have to disagree. All original files of photos should be a read only file. This is to protect the original from any changes. if you are changing photo files save it as a different file.

The changes that you have done may not print out the way you want and you may want to go back and re-adjust the picture. Different printing profiles, monitor calibration play into the equation so you have to have the orignals to work with. Everytime you do this you have start with the original file.

CDricot
Unregistered guest
I'm going crazy. I have been using a D70 and of course Photoshop Elements does not recognize the NEF format. I have the useless PictureProject and presumably one can save a NEF image as jpeg. HOW???? (I know that defeats the purpose of shooting RAW but I refuse to do my editing in PictureProject)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4060
Which version of Photoshop elements are you using? If you are using PE3 then you have to wait until they resolve the issue between Nikon and Adobe. For PE2, go to the Adobe website support and update your PhotoElements.

If you want to convert to jpeg, open the RAW files with Picture Project, then click on save as... from there you can convert your file to jpeg and leave the original in RAW format.

Any reason why you are using RAW format?

Silver Member

Post Number: 211
Does Elements even support Adobe Camera Raw? I didn't think it did. Anyway, check out RawShooter essentials at pixmantec.com It's free & supports the D70. You can develop to a TIFF to work on in Elements & avoid the downfalls of JPEG until you're done editing--just remember that TIFFs can be pretty large.

Unregistered guest
How can I download all the 100 + pictures from my Coolpix 3200 using Nikon View when all it does download is only 20 pictures

Gold Member

Post Number: 4115
Check page 77 of your manual.

Mal
Unregistered guest
I have installed both Nikon View and Picture project onto my iBook. Picture Project was working fine but Nikon View wouldn't transfer my images to my iBook. I Uninstalled both pieces of software, re-installed Nikon View but it still won't transfer my pics from my D70. Any ideas anyone?

Thank you!

Silver Member

Post Number: 221
Are you trying to attach the camera directly to the PC or are you using a card reader? I would strongly suggest doing the latter as the drivers for directly connecting DSLRs are notoriously flaky.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4150
Check the setting of your D70. Go to the Set up menu and check the USB part. If you want to be able to transfer pictures by using the camera make sure that it is set to "mass storage" and not "P to P" or vice versa. One settiing is used to enable the use of Nikon Capture by using the computer.

But if you want a more effecient transfer, use a card reader like Chris suggested. The transfer will also be faster.

Mal2
Unregistered guest
Yes, the camera is set to "Mass Storage". I am using the camera connected to the PC by the supplied USB cable. Stupid thing is Nikon View works fine on my desktop!??? Looks like a cardreader is the go...

Mal2
Unregistered guest
Yes, the camera is set to "Mass Storage". I am using the camera connected to the PC by the supplied USB cable. Stupid thing is Nikon View works fine on my desktop!??? Looks like a cardreader is the go... Thanks you guys!

Silver Member

Post Number: 222
Card readers are definitely the way to go, you save batteries on the camera & they are a no-brainer to use (the promise of Plug&Play finally realized).

Unregistered guest
I'm stumped and hope someone can give me some answers to my question.

I'm shooting with a Nikon D70. The photos are framed exactly as I'd like to see them in the viewfinder. Problem is when I download the photos from the camera to Photoshop elements, not all the photos are the same size...meaning, that the original size of some of the photos are almost perfectly square. This means that I have to do an extensive crop job in order to print on a 4x6 piece of paper. If I don't, their heads (or at least a portion) will be cut off when printed.

I thought that 2:3 aspect ratio of the D70 would yield a perfect 4x6 photo every time. In order for me to avoid this, I have to avoid close up shots, or just crop them in photoshop before they're printed.

Can someone explain to me why this happens?

Unregistered guest
Sorry, instead of viewfinder in my message above, I meant LCD.

Unregistered guest
Sorry, instead of viewfinder in my message above, I meant LCD.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4228
What lenses are you using? What quality/size?

I find it very strange that you are getting different sizes. The LCD is not a very accurate way of seeing your composition. It is merely for reference/review. The viewfinder is more accurate.

Silver Member

Post Number: 226
A couple of things. First, like my Canon, the viewfinder is not a 100% view (the D70 is listed at 95%), so there's just a little more the sensor if getting that you are seeing. I also see that the sensor is listed at 23.7mm x 15.6mm which if my math is correct is about 1.52:1. I know the typical 35mm frame is not the same aspect as a 4x6 and you always get cropping; the nice thing about shooting digital and doing your own postprocessing and/or printing is you get to pick the exact crop rather than the minimum wage kid at Wal-Mart (or more probably the machine he's running).

Delby
Unregistered guest
I just purchased a Coolpix 7900, and was ready to install Picture Project until I read these posts. I have Nikon View 5 from my previous Coolpix 2500. If I upgrade Nikon View, will it work with both the 2500 and the 7900?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4372
yes it will work

mf
Unregistered guest
I just purchased a Nikon 7900. I just installed Picture Project and then a friend of mine informed me about Nikon View. When I compared the products I saw my camera listed for {Picture Project but not for Nikon View. Which is better?

BTW, I currently connect my camera to my PC through the USB ports and then copy the pictures to a folder that I create on my hard drive. Using Windows XP, I rename the pictures in bulk. What will Picture Project or Nikon View add to this?

I have photoshop on my PC, but it is complicated to use. I useed the D-lighting feature of the Nikon in the camera to lighten the background of the picture and it appeared fine. Can either of Picture Project or Nikon View do the same thing?

I also use Irfanview as a file viewer at times.

I like things simple and easy.

Which of Picture Project or Nikon View is better to use?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4400
If you already have system to view and file your pictures, there really is no reason to use Nikon's software. Picture Project is a rudimentary phote editing tool, very basic and not very good. NikonView is a viewer and an automatic filing system for your pictures. It also shows the EXIF Data of your photographs. I only use NikonView because it is convenient for me, but I do all my editing with Photoshop CS2. I don't use Picture Project because it really blows!

I would recommend using a memory card reader instead of connecting your camera directly to the computer.

MF
Unregistered guest
Thanks. I thought Nikon View was a phot editor? Am I wrong?

Also, will pictur Project do for me on the PC what D-lighting does in the camera?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4407
NikonView has very basic photo editing tools like contrast, brightness and sepia and black&white conrols, image size, red eye removal and color balance.

Picture Project has about the same controls and no d-lighting controls.

If you have doubts about the assessment of how much it blows, just try it for yourself. It is after all, free. Just don't expect too much, nikon may make great lenses, but they are no program makers.

Unregistered guest
I am using PictureProject 1.1 with my D70s and Windows XP. I have uploaded about 2000 pics (so far!) directly from the camera to my PC. Just recently (since the last upload), all photos taken with the D70s are showing as white squares with a question mark on. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to view them as proper photos. The help button is no help whatsoever. Does anyone know why this is happening? (not enough memory perhaps?) Thanks!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4593
try updating your Picture Project software to the latest version. The latest is version 1.6.1

Next, try to transfer your pictures by using a memory card reader instead of a direct camera to PC transfer.

Do you have the latest version of NikonView?

Can you view the pictures on the camera?

What are the qualities of the photos you are taking? Fine, RAW?

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqi d=13732&p_created=1130354111&p_sid=uupO5dYh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9 JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD05NzQmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3Nl YXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

Unregistered guest
Need urgent assistance on very important Photos!

I am using PictureProject with my D70s and Windows XP, how do I retrieve the pictures downloaded previously, "Occasion A" (before the the most recent download - "Occasion B"). Using Picture Project, I can't seem to find Occasion A pictures,. Occasion A pictures can NOT be viewed from the main 'My Computer/My Pictures' file in the main Windows Start Up screen, but not on Picture Project?!?

I have uploaded about 2000 pics (so far!) directly from the camera to my PC. Just recently (since the last upload), all photos taken with the D70s are showing as white squares with a question mark on. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to view them as proper photos. The help button is no help whatsoever.

I need to restore these photos somehow!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us