Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

A/V Furniture & Accessories

BDI Avion 8529 Stand with 8540 Plasma Mount Review

242815.jpg

When shopping for a TV stand, let’s face it — looks matter. However, the BDI Avion 8529 stand is about function as well as design. What sets this stand apart are three main features:

1) a pull-out drawer to conceal a center speaker
2) wheels on the base for mobility and placement
3) an optional plasma mount (model 8540), to adjust height and hide wires

BDI Avion 8529
Why this stand?
The number one reason to get this stand is to hide your center speaker! Most center speakers really mess up the look of those oh-so-cool plasmas. In most cases you’ll need to mount a center speaker under or over the plasma, or place it on a stand. Either way, it usually looks bad. BDI Avion’s cleverly designed, shelf/drawer is large enough to hold most modestly sized center-channel speakers. A black mesh fabric panel conceals the speaker, and does not impeed sound quality.

BDI Avion 8529
Roll Into Position
The wheels on the base are a nice touch. They make it easy to slide the stand up against the wall. Alternatively, you can slide it away from the wall to access or upgrade your equipment. Once the unit reaches its fixed position, adjustable screw-type feet can be twisted to raise the wheels off the floor, and lock the stand’s location.

BDI Avion 8540
Flat Panel Friendly
An optional mounting bracket (model 8540) can be purchased to attach any flat-panel TV (up to 50-inches) to the base. The mounting bracket allows a flat-panel TV to be raised to a desired level above the top of the cabinet. Plus, the hollow but sturdy polls conceal the wires going to your TV, further enhancing the look.

BDI Avion 8529
Big Box, Easy Setup
When the 8529 stand was delivered, I was overwhelmed by the sheer size and weight of the box, but pleasantly surprised how little assembly was necessary. The unit arrived almost entirely pre-built, and in perfect condition. I just had to screw in the door handles, and three metal base brackets. This unit is by no means light, but I was able to tip it on its side with the doors facing up. This configuration allowed me to screw in the handles and base, then tip it over into its normal position. Within 15 minutes I was done with the setup.

BDI Avion
Three Designs/Colors
The Avion series is available in cherry, espresso, or black (Avion Noir 8539). It also comes in two other sizes — the 8527 and 8528. I chose the espresso version, which is the very dark wood finish. The veneer finish looks great, but like any wood finish could be prone to a chip or scratch if you’re not careful. During the review period, my unit remained in pristine condition.

Big TV Ready
The BDI Avion’s contemporary appeal, combined with functional features make it clear standout in the A/V furniture market. The Avion stand is the perfect complement to show-off your new flat panel or big screen TV. Just about any TV can sit on the 8529. I even saw a 73″ Mitsubishi TV on it at my local Magnolia Store.

BDI Avion
Dual Purpose
BDI has succesfully produced a reasonably priced, contemporary stand that will appeal to home theater afficionados and interior designers alike. Well done!

by Brian Mitchell, Founder & CEO, eCoustics.com

BDI Avion 8529 - Cherryhttp://www.bdiusa.com
BDI Avion 8529 – MSRP: $1,999 (check price)
BDI Avion 8540 – MSRP: $499 (check price)

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Floorstanding Speakers

For those seeking the ultimate in high fidelity music playback, the ultra luxury high-end audio market continues to innovate with loudspeakers at jaw dropping...

Gift Guides

Unwind in the ultimate man cave and escape into home entertainment bliss with incredible gift ideas for hi-fi audio or home theater.

Gift Guides

Every Super Bowl party needs a big screen with big sound. Enjoy the game with gift ideas to experience the full impact on any...

Gift Guides

The countdown to Christmas Day and Hanukkah 2023 is on. Don't miss out on these amazing gifts for any music lover.

Gift Guides

Thoughtful gift ideas for the vinyl music lover who has everything that won't blow through your Holiday budget.

Gift Guides

These gift ideas are guaranteed to make anyones TV watching experience this Fall more enjoyable.

Gift Guides

Indulge into the ultimate expressions of a hi-fi lifestyle with a state-of-the-art collection of gift ideas from the eCoustics team and more.

Gift Guides

Make sure your family and friends know about these amazing gift ideas that bring function, style and entertainment to your educational experience.

Advertisement

ecoustics is a hi-fi and music magazine offering product reviews, podcasts, news and advice for aspiring audiophiles, home theater enthusiasts and headphone hipsters. Read more

Copyright © 1999-2024 ecoustics | Disclaimer: We may earn a commission when you buy through links on our site.

SVS Bluesound PSB Speakers NAD Cambridge Audio Q Acoustics Denon Marantz Focal Naim Audio RSL Speakers