Beware! Norah Jones' SACD is a 16/44.1 fake

Bronze Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 50
i just read a rant about norah jones' SACD which tells readers that the SACD version is really just the original 16/44.1 CD data converted to SACD and not a proper high resolution (eg. 24/96) transfer.

if you were thinking of buying the SACD, save your money and buy the identical CD instead.

i don't blame the writer for getting bent out of shape over that. it's bad enough that MP3 is dragging DVD-A and SACD down, but now the formats themselves are commiting suicide?

Bronze Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 66
by the way, that info came from stereophile magazine and included conversations with the record label engineers.

i'd say it isn't a "rumor".

Unregistered guest
it's not a rumor. it's true. i have the disc. not only is the resolution down on the 5.1 mix but the bass level has been recorded around -10db.

However, the 2ch. portion seems to be a high-rez SACD mix- with the bass put back in.

I emailed Blue-Note about this 6months ago- i've heard nothing back from them- so that's the last time they get my business.

=0

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 951
You have got to be Kidding.....

Terry54321
Unregistered guest
I have the Norah Jones SACD. It sounds great with the room filling ambience created by the rear speakers. Many SACDs have the bass at -10db. I used my SACDs players bass management to compensate. Perhaps it could have been even better, but I like it better than the 2ch recording.

Username: Skindoc_denise

Post Number: 4
that is horrible! How did they think they would get away with something like that.

Bronze Member
Username: Culp4684

Post Number: 97
I think this has already been touched on quite some time ago. I remeber actually finding a place online where you could purchase the SACD for less than the regular version...

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4551
Old news.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us