Second Skin Install - Many Pics

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1853
Second Skin Audio had a contest to win a free door pack of their sound deadener a few weeks ago. I just happened to be one of the winners, and received my products yesterday.

I ordered 2 gallons of Spectrum just to see what it was like and help get a really good coat on my doors. I ordered their spray gun for it because I hate using a brush for large areas, and a roller seems like I would waste a lot of material.

I am only doing my doors at the moment, there is already a 2-3mm thick undercoating on the whole underside of the vehicle including tire wells, so I'm in no rush to do that. If this turns out well I'll probably just buy a 10 gallon bucket of spectrum for the rest of the truck - I'd rather paint than apply mat. Anyway, on to pics.

The equipment going in:
Upload
Upload

The sound deadening products:
Upload
They were nice enough to throw in a roller and Fury knife. The knife is very ergonomic and has been working great compared to some of my old razor knives.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

The door before removing the panel
Upload
Panel removed, only 3 bolts then pull up to remove it.
Upload
Upload

Pulling the plastic off, this black adhesive is reusable, I'm trying to save it but god does it stretch.
Upload
Upload

Pulled off
Upload

The whole speaker is attached to a huge chunk of plastic :-( I haven't decided what I'm going to do as far as sound deadening this goes- I'd rather build a wood mounting for an e8 or something to go here.
Upload.
Cleaning the black glue stuff with spirits.
Upload
Huge hole to work with
Upload

Upload
Upload

After fully cleaning the entire treatment area I popped the panel back on and taped off a border where sound deadener would become visible. I will be doing a bit more when the time comes to use the spectrum.
Upload
Upload

The door kit came with 8 sheets of mat, so I decided to use 2 per door and use the spectrum to make up for anywhere I ran short.
Cutting the first piece to fit the outer metal first.
Upload
I like to roll it up and start a corner of the back adhesive layer so I can fit larger pieces inside the door.
Upload
Upload
Very very impressed with the adhesive, but after being in the sun a bit it even stuck to the paper lol.
Upload

So this is one full sheet. At this rate I would suggest to anyone with a full size truck to expect a door kit to cover a set of doors with one layer, not all four.
Upload

Much easier to work with than the other deadener's I've used before, which I believe I've used around 1/2 dozen other products. I was going to finish but I wanted to get to grilling some t-bones before it decided to rain.
Upload

More work tomorrow night and I will be finishing this weekend. Comments welcome.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20784
We flucking LOVE these step by step tutorials! Thanks for taking the time with all the pics Troy. I know it's a pain but it's worth it for all who view.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1854
Not a problem Paul. If it wasn't for the eminent rain I would have stressed using the roller to ensure good contact, but I was in a hurry the last few minutes.

Inside the door you can only do so much before you just end up shoving your finger tips into the crevices to push down the deadener. I wont be doing that much since I got the liquid to make things easier for myself.

Bronze Member
Username: Ridicbass07060

Sonances wangin

Post Number: 94
is that the 10k amp? holy sh*T. what subs are those btls? your only running those two? looking good btw

Silver Member
Username: Wickedbass

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 723
Looks great man!

x2 on what Paul said! Pics are what make these kinds of threads good!

I hear ya on just using your finger tips to press down the mat. My Accord was full of little nooks and crevices that were a b!tch to get to.

AB 1000.1....Upload

that is all...

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15242
good going thus far ....

Silver Member
Username: Cozce

St. Louis ILLside, Pronounced: ... U.S.A.

Post Number: 795
I liiiike.

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2004
u only have a 1000 watt amp?
hahaha

nice set up man

Bronze Member
Username: Ezstuff

Neenah, Wisconsin United States

Post Number: 62
lol to dblk...

Power Rating :
14.4 volts = 11,400 watts rms @ 1 ohm
18.0 volts = 15,200 watts rms @ 1 ohm

awesome stuff troy

Gold Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1676
actually corrections its 2 ohms not 1 ohm ;)

troy i will be joining you with owning one of these in a couple of days-weeks :D

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 3601
Nice as always Troy!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1855
Thanks. Nice D-money!

Yes, 2 BTL 18s until they come out with the 22s. I'd love to do 4 again but I want to stay below the window line, or at least be able to have two 2 seperate boxes I can remove without breaking my back when I can't get help. (I travel and haul stuff for work a lot).

I figure my door panels really need at least 6sqft each to get one coat. That is roughly 4 sheets, and I am only doing two per door.
A bucket of Spectrum covers 40 ft, or 20 with 2 layers so I figure 1 bucket should leave me with 3 finish coats on my door and with enough to do my rear quarter panels or something with the 2nd.

I only had time to finish that one panel today, I should finish the rest tomorrow or Sunday.

There is a night and day difference between that door and the other panels of my truck though, much much more solid.

Cut one sheet in half to make it easier to install. It fit really well though.
Upload
Upload
Upload

You can see I didn't get any of the curved areas with deadener, and that's fine. I'll be using the liquid for the curves and saving my hands- and honestly the bends give the metal rigidity. The large flat panels are the noisy ones.

Thanks guys!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1856
Today I finished up the rear 2 doors. It looked like rain so that's all I got done, but I'm pleased with the results. Still took a few hours with as much cleaning/prep work went into it. On to pics:

The rear drivers side.
Upload

Pulling the panel, you have to detach the clip for the power windows and I just pull the light bulb out entirely.
Upload
Upload
Scraping as much adhesive as possible before just pulling it off seems to minimize the amount left on the door.
Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

First sheet of sound deadener on this door installed.
Upload

Second sheet on the lower portion.
Upload
Upload
Upload

Getting ready to start spraying the rear doors.
80psi on the sprayer, one full reservoir is 1/4 gallon.
Upload

Started the first coat.
I used grocery bags to protect the door handle and motor for the window.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Using Spectrum on the passenger side rear.
Upload

Much better for corners than mat imo.
Upload
Upload

Back to the drivers side for the second coat.
Upload

And a second coat on the passenger side.
Upload

Putting the panels back together.
Upload

When wet it has a sandy texture, and looks grayish.
Upload

Passenger door put back together.
Upload

Around 1-2mm thickness per door.Upload

I used 1/2 of a gallon, exactly as I hoped to. After 4 hours there were some spots still not all the way dry, so it sits overnight. There was an odor, but it was not very strong.Overall I'm pretty pleased with, the two treated doors sound so much better than before.

Silver Member

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 732
Looks great man! I have one of those spray guns. I used it for one of those spray in bedliners for my truck.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1857
I can imagine it would work great for that. It does not spray very evenly like a normal paint gun, but almost with a sputtering quality. It puts out an even coat, I suppose it's just the thickness of the material.

Anyway, I'm not posting this for both doors, just one because it's the same process. I'll do the front doors this week as time permits. I REALLY want to do some 7" mids or even a set of e8s in those rear doors - it's 8.5" of clearance and I could make 4-5" of depth... I don't have 200rms per channel at 4 ohms though :-(

Pics:

Factory speaker re-installed and all wires clamped in place.
Upload

I put the moisture barrier back on, letting the door handle hold it in place while re-adhering.
Upload

pop out the wires and push the plastic in place by hand.
Upload

The wood roller works great for pressing this on- it holds great because of how much excess there was from the factory (it stays soft).
Upload

I did this because my panels have this factory material that is like carpet padding, and it absorbs water like a sponge. When I popped the panel off after a good rain there was a bit of dampness on things, so better safe than sorry.
Upload

Thanks guys, I'll be slowly doing the front this week. I'm so pleased with this door I might just order another few gallons of spectrum and do the front half of my truck floor tire wells soon- before running the rest of the wire for sure.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20817
A TON of work hidden so to speak. Makes a HUGE difference no doubt.

Second Skin Audio owes you more than this kit for the demo.

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 2311
Looks awesome. I bet that thing is going to be like a luxury SUV after :D

Silver Member
Username: Mpinto19k

Dallas/Fort Hood, Tx

Post Number: 248
Looking real good man so you think that the spectrum is well worth it? If so I'm gonna get myself some I have everything matted in my car but the doors and I'd rather go with mostly spectrum with few sheets of damp pro.

Great install though looks really good.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1861
I really like working with the spectrum. It is much much easier than rolling mat inside the door panels. Cheaper than damplifier pro, though it takes several layers to be as effective. Two good coats worked well for me, which means 20ft for around 60 bucks vs 13ft for 60 bucks.

Its so easy to do the spray I will probably just do that from now on.

To coat my front doors entirely I would need at least 8 sheets per front door, and 4-6 per rear door. That means 3 door packs or $180. You could spend 120 and get just as good a coverage with the spectrum.

On to pictures:
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Final thoughts: This stuff is awesome.
Pros:
-Much quieter inside the vehicle- less traffic noise
-Better bass response from the 6.5" driver. I was listening to Placebo and actually heard bass from my front doors, which was almost non-existent before. I had my x-over set around 65-70hz just because it sounded like crap before, just to find out it was the vibrations sounding bad, not the driver. Now I have to adjust my amp and see what I can get out of them.
Solid thud when closing the door, it sounds 'sturdier' if that makes sense, higher quality.
-The damplifier has such good adhesive you can not leave it in the sun because it will separate- sticking to the wax paper. I put mine in the freezer for 10 minutes before installing just to get it off the backing without issue. After you put it in place there's no chance of it coming off though.

Cons: There was about an inch of solid stuff in the bottom of my gallon jugs- roughly 1/2 a quart. So one quart of unusable mass between the two jugs. This was not left sitting, this was unable to be stirred as soon as I opened the container, like it was already hardened. I tried everything to get it usable and it was just waste. The gallons weren't left uncovered and were stored in my house at 72degrees. Still worth it.

Overall a great product, good service, and I will never use anything but spectrum unless damplifier becomes cheaper. It's soooooo easy to spray in door panels compared to trying to roll mat out to adhere. I can see where it's a little difficult to get even coverage on strange shaped surfaces, but it's easier to install in hard to reach places, and faster (imo) than fighting with mat. I just don't like rolling mat on.

Silver Member
Username: Imi4tth3w

San Antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 224
wow. that looks like it turned out amazing! i wonder if you could do that for almost the entire car. im gonna have to look into this down the road for sure.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15278
ur doing a very good thorough job

im skeptical of how the sludge is compared to mats but it seems to work well for u ...

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 680
why just use both?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1862
Thanks Rovin. The mat is better 1 layer vs 1 layer, but the liquid is so much easier to apply I know I'm putting it places I'd never be able to fit my hands for mat. Plus it's almost impossible to roll mat down right in tight corners, where the liquid just sprays in place. I'd rather do 2-3 layers of spectrum, but a combination of both worked really well in my opinion.

Matt, I plan on doing the rest of my car (besides the roof) with the liquid. It's just too convenient not to. And cheaper.

Quentin, I don't fully understand your question. I used both because I had them. I will probably only use spectrum in the future because of cost and ease of application.

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 681
lol sorry i was meaning wouldn't using both the mat and liquid have a better out come than just the liquid?

i see what your saying about making it easier with the liquid, but like floor and roof would easy to do with the mat then follow it up with the liquid, i would think with a better out come?

i never have done this at all so this is just my thoughts, "hope to do it with my next truck though"

and great job with the walk though/how to!

Silver Member

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 735
Great work man!Upload Taking the first drive after you're done surprises the hell out of ya doesn't it? I love how quiet my car is after being fully deadened. But now you've got me wanting to try some of that Spectrum.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1863
Gotcha now Quentin, I feel a combination of the two works great. I can see using mat on the floor and roof.

If you can remove all the panels and just spray gallon after gallon it's faster than mat though. I could treat about 40sqft of liquid in around 10-15 minutes with next to no physical labor. With as hot as it is here (over 95 today with 90% humidity) I would rather spray the 120+sqft it would take to do my floor in less than an hour than roll out mat for god knows how long. I try to put everything back within 2 hours of treating so it's still easy to scratch off. If you overspray in a bolt hole it's not a big deal. If you put mat over a bolt hole it may keep you from getting a screw started, or something back in place right.
I've had to remove a panel and cut a small hole for a single screw before, it really irritated me.

Wickedbass, I once put around 2-250sqft of deadener + lots of foam in a mustang and I LOVED riding in it afterward. It was so quiet inside, even with exhaust etc. I want to buy another vehicle, but if I stick with this one it will be getting the full treatment in the not too distant future.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4704
Damn. Spectrums looks like it works pretty good. Makes me want to do that to my doors bc it was hard to get the inside.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1871
Ant from Second Skin said that it takes 30 days to fully cure, so I'll keep bumping this up until then to see if there are changes for the better.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4706
you used 2 gallons total? thats suppose to be 80sqft. How much spectrum did you use so far?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1873
I used between 1.25 and 1.5 gallons total. About 12ft per door in back, and 20 per door up front. Just shy of it anyway.

They consider one coat 1mm, I'm around 1.75mm average. I can imagine it would be better at 3mm (their max recommended), but I wanted to do my front fenders and tire wells with the remainder of the Spectrum.

After the layer of Damplifier Pro and the amount of Spectrum I used I doubt there would be much improvement by adding another layer.

The job I quit over a month ago finally mailed me my last paycheck (I do have another job, but a week or two without pay hurt), so either more spectrum to come or I will be starting my build in the next week or two - I need wire!

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Worlds gunna end, In 2012

Post Number: 4178
troy, the sky looks like that EVERY single day here in florida during the summer. every single day i sh!t you not.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1876
I used to have a sister living in Florida- when I went to visit it rained on us every single day. They're calling 20-30% chance of rain for the next 10 days, and it's been that way for a few weeks.

Pisses me off lol, I want build weather.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us