Ported vs. sealed

Stuart
what is the difference? what kind of box would i want i a trunk? Thanks for any help.

DeLoit
Do you want quality or Bass???? A lot of power or moderate????? And it's what best for the sub itself.

Dirt Track Racer
For SQ go sealed. For SPL go ported. It's going to take a lil more power for the sealed, more so than the ported.

Stuart
ok, i was thinking of either getting an Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 12" or Audiobahn Alum12Q 12" sub. Im going to put it into my king cab frontier and i want room to carry at least 2 people along with me, so one is all i want. Im assuming that if i get one of those subs along with a strong amp i should get some very decent bass. I am also more interested in SQ so sealed is prolly my ideal situation. Oh, what do you guys think about those subs, any reccomendations? Thanks.

Alex
The Infinity Kappa is an awesome sub. I haven't heard Audiobahn subs, but I have heard both bad and good about them. The sealed is probably a good choice for you also, since you are into SQ. The ported boxes make it loder but do not sound good at all. Remember, the box is one of the most important factors in what the sub will sound like.

DirtTrackRacer
Yeah, I would say go Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 12" out of those to subs.

go with audiobahn... I got 2 12" flame q's with a 3,000 watt amp in my ext. cab Ranger... it pounds like crazy and sounds good if you take off bass boost. e-mail me for pics of 'em
woodsup69@new.rr.com

motoman22
Vented boxes are both louder and more clean than sealed boxes...when done properly.

Any goober with a hammer can make a sealed box but building and tuning a ported box is not so easy. Having a port just a quarter inch too long or an eighth of an inch too wide can make a noticable difference in sound quality...and the cabinet size/port dimensions must be matched to the driver or you're wasting your time. A vented box that sounds great with an Infinity Kappa 12" 4-ohm won't work right with a Fosgate sub or, in many cases, even an 8-ohm variant of the same Infinity Kappa 12". This isn't rocket science, but close.

If you really are into sound quality, don't build the box yourself. Go to a reputable audio shop and talk to the installer. He'll look at the space you have available, the equipment you want to use, and the budget you have to spend. There is no single 'right' answer to your question... sorry.

There's a wealth of information on these topics in the Subwoofers section, might want to read a few other posts.

I have a Rockford (Power HX2 15" dual 2ohm) on a sealed Box with a 2,000 Watts InterFire amp on a corvette, so I think to change the box or the subs for a SPLW-15" 340oz magnet. Do you where my sub sound louder? Sealed or Port Box.....

Unregistered guest
I want to build a box for two 12" RFs. Im not sure if i should make a ported or sealed box. If I make a sealed box, is there a certain amount of air space needed? what about in a ported? I really don't know much about this stuff so if anyone can give me alot of specific information and tips, it would really help me out. Thanks.

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 668
for the 12" subs, go with about 1.5cu ft per sub for sealed, and 2cu ft per sub if ported.
ported, tune the ports to about 35Hz, using 4" inner diameter ports. (tuning the ports is done by adjusting their length. I can supply proper lengths once the box is ready.)
remember to allow for speaker (and port tube volume) displacement when calculating the box dimensions for interior volume.

Username: 01gsxr

Post Number: 49
yo moto if you go to jl web page it stats that seal box is beter for sq, and ported is more spl,with there w7 line. I think its all about what sub your running and how you want it to sound. "There is no perfect box ore every on would have the same box". I bet if you ask wolf when he went to compatchions there was bothe typs of boxes in the winners circle.

Post Number: 684
all sorts of boxes.
sealed, ported, bandpass, even saw a T-line box once or twice.
also depended on the competition event.. if it was for SQ or SPL or overall stuff like IASCA had at the time that counted for looks, install technique, originality, etc..

really varies by what kind of results you want, your musical tastes, etc as to what box to use.
my car at the time used a rather large vented enclosure.
4.38cu ft for 2 12" subs, tuned to 30Hz.

Unregistered guest
I have a Chevy Trailblazer. Just bought 2 JL Audio 12W6v2 12" Subwoofers and JL Audio 500/1 amp. Need to know whether to use sealed or closed box. Some say bandpass?

Unregistered guest
i have two 10" Power Acoustik FUBR's and a bazooka ELA 500.1 amp and im facing the box dilema. i've been told to go with a sealed box with cubic foot for each, but i want it as loud as i can get it so i'm lost. i have them in a bandpass box, but it's all beat up. i need major help.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1852
Kevin, go with a ported box, tund to ~35Hz with about 2cu ft per sub

Anonymous

I have a jbl p1220 12"sub and iam using kicker kx600.1 mono amp to power it.iam confused whether to use a sealed,vented or bandpass box for my sub.iam looking for clean music as well as heavy bass.

Justwondering
Unregistered guest
Am installing a sealed box subwoofer enclosure in my trunk (2-12" Pyle subs) and it made me wonder if the output from the subs would interfere with the sound from the rear deck 6X9 infinity's. I Dynamatted the inside of the sub box, but was wondering if I should apply damping to the rear (trunk exposed) portion of the 6X9's in the rear deck. What's the opinion on this?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2848
best thing to do is vent the rear deck into the cabin so the trunk and cabin air is coupled.
here:
http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/trunk.htm

read down a bit to the part about venting the deck.

Justwondering.
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the link. It has a bit more work to it than what I cared for, but it directly addressed the issue I was referring to-the rear deck speakers coping with a trunk subwoofer. Still, I'm wondering if damping the rear 6X9's on the trunk side might be easier than porting the rear deck. Mind you, I said "easier" and not "better". I realize porting the rear deck seems to provide the best solution, however to be frank, I dont know if I trust my technical skills that much to do it. If I damped the trunk portion of the 6X9's in the rear deck, would it
1) Reduce or inhibit the output of the 6X9's to the point where it would be self defeating and
2) Would it solve the problem of the 6X9's having to deal with the trunk subwoofer's output pressures?

Unregistered guest
im going to put 2 ma audio 15's in the back of my s10 blazer there 450 rms 900 max what how many cubic ft do i need and how many ports per chamber. thx i really need to figure this out

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2932
3cu ft per 15" sub, 6" inner diameter ports, one per chamber.

gary007
Unregistered guest
hey i bought sum infintity two 12's reference subs 1230w...wat would work out better ported or sealed???and wat size

Unregistered guest
I think i am going to get one Rockford Fosgate Punch Hx2 RFD2112 12" and power it with the Rockford Fosgate 1001BD Power Amplifier 1000 Watt. What kind of box should i get. I have a jeep cherokee classic

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 199
Gary, I'd do sealed for those, Infinity recommends it, 1.25 cu ft. per sub.

Bronze Member
Username: Germanguy

Post Number: 20
if you prefer SQ but still wanna go close to a ported box output, get a bass reflex system with passive diaphragm. it looks like you have one speaker on both sides of the box, but one is just a dummy, giving you the effect of loud sound with good quality. In Germany it's called "backbeat-technology". I'm sure it's around in the states as well.

whitethug
Unregistered guest
what would be better in the trunk of a car for a 12" jl w7 sealed or ported?

Unregistered guest
I have two 12 inch Kicker CVR's pushed by a 900.2 Soundstream Amp in a 97 Ford Probe...I have been told that Ported is a hell of a lot better than Sealed if you have a hatchback or SUV, which I have a hatch so I was wondering if anyone else had an opinion about that because next week my plans are to have a custom ported box built for $300 and before I spend that money I would like another opinion on that...I personally think from what I have heard that ported is good for both deep bass and loud bass and I'm not really worried about SQ because I have a Kicker Resolution series component system for my Highs and Mids...If you have an opinion on that please leave a message or email me Bgsfinest2@aol.com Thanx

-ninja-
Unregistered guest
yo i have 2 alum12q 1000 watt rms each and a HiFonics 1500x1 rms at 1ohm. audiobahn suggests a sealed box, but i want loud bass. Is there really that much of a difference between the two? even if i tune a ported box correctly?

bigbusiness
Unregistered guest
hey i have a Diamond MacDaddy 12" in my s-10 blazer. i was curious to know wut u guys think would be a better box to go with. Right now i have a home made sealed box from the previous owner, but it's really ghetto and not working out well. I just thought i would ask what kind of box would be better for the MacDaddy and what u recomend i do. Thanks!

KwikSilver
Unregistered guest
I have two questions..
Im putting in two Rocksford Fosgate 15" Punch subs in the back of my explorer. Going with 0 guage stinger cables, full dynamat, and still looking for an amp that will push them for 300-400 dollars. Any recommendations on an amp? Also, they are currently in a sealed box. Im thinking a sealed box would be better in an open air space vehicle like the explorer and also with 15's I think they'll hit loud enough as is in a sealed box. What do you guys think?

Mason
Unregistered guest
I have 2 Power Acoustik FUBR 15" subs. Now my question is this. Should I go with a 10 cuFt. ported enclosure, or a 4 cuFt. sealed enclosure. I want loud bass with nice sq, and I've heard that ported is the way to go. I drive a 2000 Grand Am GT, so I can't fit a ported enclosure for the 2 15"s in the trunk.

Username: Larry321

Milwaukee, Wi Usa

Post Number: 1
i have four 10 sony p5 sony.iwant to know what a good box they go in ported of seal box.i have a seal box for them now.but i keep hear that ported box play loud bass than seal box.i got them in a 1997 dodge neon.i have the subwoofer on a rockford fosgate punch power 1050s.

Username: Larry321

Milwaukee, Wi Usa

Post Number: 2
i have four 10 sony p5 sony.iwant to know what a good box they go in ported of seal box.i have a seal box for them now.but i keep hear that ported box play loud bass than seal box.i got them in a 1997 dodge neon.i have the subwoofer on a rockford fosgate punch power 1050s.

Anonymous

Anonymous

i got one 12in P5 sony sub and a 1000 watt sony amp going to it with a q-logic sealed box. In my civic, the bass is so great and deep in the cabin, outside with the windows down its really deep too, but like most people i know who have systems, when my car goes down the road u can hear it better. my frineds can still hear the bass when i'm roughly 1/4 mile down the road. for sony i'd go with sealed b.c they sound much better and cleaner and also sony recommends it.

Username: Ginuwinepz

Post Number: 7
I just bought a 15" kicker comp VR, i already have a 1000 watt max. sony amp, so i was gion gto just keep that, but what i was wondering if i should get a ported or sealed box in my 99 grand am....i heard a sub just like mine in a HUGE ported box and it sounded really good, and only had 100 watts going to it!.....but would it be better to have a sealed box? or hvae the really big ported?

Anonymous

wat is the difference between SQ and SPL

Anonymous

i got a q-logic box wich has plenty of air space and it can change to either sealed or vented. wich would sound better in a trunk?

Anonymous

which amp is better.. the audiobahn a4002t or the new 1200 watt max sony?

Bronze Member
Username: Jtb

Post Number: 91
SQ is sound quality
SPL is Sound Pressure Level, pretty much how loud it gets

I would go with sealed for simplicities sake, it will sound better and still hit hard.

I would take the audiobahn over the sony, but they both are horrible. Don't judge amps by their max wattage, judge them by their RMS wattage. And still, some companies overrate their subs, big time, like audiobahnm, sony, legacy, pyramid, ect. If you want a quality amp for cheap look at a JBL or Hifonics on Ebay.

Username: Wilryt2

Post Number: 1
I just purchased a single Solobaric 12" L5 and a Pheonix Gold Octane-R 8.0:1 Monoblock amp to power it. I am now facing the question of the box. I have read some good information in here, so please help me out as well. I have a 1993 Cadillac Sedan Deville (big trunk). I am interested in both SPL and SQ. When talking to an aquaintance in SPL competition, he told me that a custom built ported box would be best, and to call Kicker to find the best ported Cubic Inch ratings (not go by what is in the manual). What do you all think? Thanks alot.

wilryt2

Bronze Member
Username: Elecgenius

La Puente, Ca United States

Post Number: 41
id say it depends a lot on ur sub. look on the manual for ur ebp (Efficiency Bandwidth Product) and that should tell u what to get.if the rating is below 50, it runs better on a sealed compartment, 90 and up for vented (bandpass or ported) and from 50 to 90 it is pretty much versatile

okkkayyy
Unregistered guest
I have a rockford fosgate hx2 sub runnin off a 250x2 rockford amp .... should I run it off a bigger amp?.... thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Elecgenius

La Puente, Ca United States

Post Number: 66
looooooook at the stats on ur manual for the sub

then use this

ebp (Efficiency Bandwidth Product) and that should tell u what to get.if the rating is below 50, it runs better on a sealed compartment, 90 and up for vented (bandpass or ported) and from 50 to 90 it is pretty much versatile

Anonymous

what type is best for a sony xplod 12'' 1200 watt sub

Anonymous

what sub box type is best for a sony xplod 12'' 1200 watt sub

Izzy5480
Unregistered guest
I have 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12" VQ's. I am not sure if I should go with a small sealed box (.85 cu ft) or a medium sized box (1.25 cu ft). The specs on Infinity's website say they play well in sealed boxes between .4 cu ft and 1.25 cu feet. If anyone has any idea as to which one might sound better please let me know. Thanks.

Unregistered guest
my mates got 2 of them 12 inch 1200 watt sony subs in a tx3 laser in a ported box (one port per sub) and a 1600 watt sony amp and it sounds crazy, awesome bass.
im runnin a 12" Fusion powerplant 900 watt sub from all 4 channels of a fusion encounter amp ( 120 watts RMS into each coil as its a dual voice coil sub) and it sounds great in its sealed box although its probly underpowered and i am working on reducing boot rattle now.
does any1 know what is better for reducing rattle, ported or sealed.
cheers

Hudson
Unregistered guest
Im getting a Q-Logic QB-212.4 bandpass box and 2 Rockford Punch 12" Single-Voice-Coil 8-Ohms Subwoofers and a Power Acoustik LT-Series 980-Watt Bridgeable 2-Channel MOSFET Amplifier with Bass Boost all for about $500. Together everything sounds super sweet! Is this a good deal or can I get more bang for my buck with something else.

Hudson
Unregistered guest
BY THE WAY SONY SUBS AND AMPS SUCK!!!!!

Azzhole
Unregistered guest
I wouldnt shop at Best Buy.

Anonymous

as of right now i have two rockford fosgate 10" P1 4 ohm subs now, and they are in a sealed box, pushed by the same amp as listed above.. but when the bass hits hard on different songs, i notice like a rattle in the subs, maybe because the box is too airtight? i dont know, would porting this sub-box be helpful?

i am looking to buy two rockford fosgate P2 10" 4 ohm subs, powered a rocksford amp P3001, but i dont know what type of sub box to use? i want the bass to be clean and hit hard, should i stick with a sealed box, or should i get the Q-logic QLH-1.2510DE ported box..? ..

Anonymous

i am looking to buy two rockford fosgate P2 10" 4 ohm subs, powered a rocksford amp P3001, but i dont know what type of sub box to use? i want the bass to be clean and hit hard, should i stick with a sealed box, or should i get the Q-logic QLH-1.2510DE ported box..? ..

as of right now i have two rockford fosgate 10" P1 4 ohm subs now, and they are in a sealed box, pushed by the same amp as listed above.. but when the bass hits hard on different songs, i notice like a rattle in the subs, maybe because the box is too airtight? i dont know, would porting this sub-box be helpful?

Unregistered guest
Hey i have 2 12" eclipse titanium subs and 2 lanzar vibe1500d amps the subs handle 750rms and the amps push 750rms so im guessing its gunna sound good once its all hooked up im doing the 2ohm wiring to get the most out of the subs. the eclipse specifications say a sealed box is recomended but i want SPL and i dont want it to sound like s**t so SQ and SPL together is what im looking for im going to make 2 sealed boxes and was wondering if anyone would know if i should port them. And this is a dumb ? but how do you tune a box? im going to make the boxes and then have them custom fiberglassed into my talon. If anyone has ideas or anything my email is sk84lyfe88@yahoo.com email me because im most likly not gunna see this post again lol Thanks alot

Bronze Member
Username: Sanchez5888

Post Number: 14
Dude if you're going to get your trunk fiberglassed and you have 2 eclipse titaniums... Why are you running them off lanzar amps? Not to be rude but Lanzar won't power those subs at all. Get a better amp, like jl or even just an alpine or pioneer.

Anonymous

I've go 2 12" Memphis M3 DVC's running off a Memphis 1000d in a sealed box and I heard that in a ported box these subs only sound good with rap or hip hop and that you can't hear the bass with any other type of music because the frequency is too high. Anyone know if this is true because right now they dont hit very hard (although the SQ is good). I want a ported box but don't know if that is recommended with these subs.

Unregistered guest
I have a 12" orion h2 sub and i was wondering what would be best a proted or sealed box?

jean
Unregistered guest
i have 8 10" piooner 350w rms subs. i need some ideas to build a one of a kind bandpass box or vented. Please email me at jf2531@hotmail.com

Unregistered guest
Im new to the system thing and i ordered an audiobahn alum12q sub and i need some box specs. Ive read alot of good reviews along with a few bad about these speakers and i was just wondering what size my box should be and if it should be ported or sealded? It is going in a hatchback. If anybody can help me out i would greatly aprreciate it. Email me at trentonsuncle@msn.com

Unregistered guest
I have a GMC 2002 And I have Two 12" infinity Kappa's. Whats the cubic air space on the subs and what cubic air space I need to have in my custom box please help I have no idea what to do

Unregistered guest
I have a GMC 2002 And I have Two 12" infinity Kappa's. Whats the cubic air space on the subs and what's the cubic air space I need to have in my custom box please help I have no idea what to do

Unregistered guest
If you seriously think Audiobahn 'sucks' think again. Yes this same company used to produce a line of shi**y speakers, thump I believe is being one of them, but I can take a Kicker KX400.2 a 12" flameq in a fairly large custom built ported box in the rear of my 1995 Toyota Supra Mk4(2jz-gte)I made with the specs, and outperform SPL wise at least anyone I run into with ease, as a matter of fact it's annoying past 25-30% volume, causes everyones nose to itch at that point. I have no reason to doubt audiobahn though IMO, they use relatively high quality materials on their drivers - If I can clock 161dB(while playing burbans and lacs) with one 12" I spent less than $50.00 US on plus the MDF, what's wrong here? No distortion/clipping even at 80%+ volume - to hell with SQ :-) I'm not sure about their amps though, haven't had a chance to test them out. But their drivers are definitely not to be considered 'low end'

Stephen_ten
Unregistered guest
I have 2 JLAUDIO 12W3 subwoofers in a ported box. It's run by a the JLAUDIO e1400D amp, what should I set the filter freq, to get good SQ?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3160
"If I can clock 161dB(while playing burbans and lacs) with one 12" I spent less than $50.00 US on plus the MDF, what's wrong here?"

It's time for you to get a reality check and quit lying. NOONE can hit 161 with 1 12" sub and 400 watts, including professional competitors.

Unregistered guest
I just recently wanted to have the best system in town so i bough all new speakers and got 2 audiobahn 15"s and its hooked up to an audiobahn amp that is running 500 watts to each sub which is the power handeling an it is in a sealed box and sounds great and a ridiculous amount of bass in the car but when you step out you can barely hear it from the outside and i want people to turn there heads and feel me when i go by what do i need to get to have this effect a different box, or what please post or email me with what your opinion is? thanks

Unregistered guest
I have 2 alpine 12" dual voice coil type s rated at 300 watts rms in a custom box running of a brainvibration amp which is 1000 watts rms ,what would be better sealed box or ported for spl and if ported is better what size port and wat length in the box

JaredCVR
Unregistered guest
If you run AudioBahn, Sony Xplod, Or anything cheaper or close to these types of "subs" the best remedy for you is to find a little kid that just got his driver license and sell them to them for about $100 less then what paid for them new. Then go home, sit down, and think how damn stupid you were for buying them!

Jason M. Smith
Unregistered guest
I have a JL 10W6v2 and i used to have it in a stealth box in my 98 trans am. Now it had very good bass but buzzed very loud. I found out it was because of airspace it only had .5cubic feet. So i just bought a vented box with a 1.25 cubic feet airspace i'm hoping it will sound good but i dont know how to tune it or anything so i was just gona put the sub in and see how it sounds. I like spl more than Sq but i dont care if its the other way around. I was just wondering if what im doing is ok i got a 800watt sony amp running it too
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us