SPL shootout: old school vs. new school

Bronze Member
Username: Gravytrain

Canton, Michigan USA

Post Number: 32
ok...here it goes...

everyone says that the 18" SOLO X is one of the best SPL subs that is out on the market today...but i feel a little bit differently!!!

i dont even know why any one would really waste their time with a solo x anyway...they are too big and heavy and require an ungodly amount of power just to push them safely, and the box has to be gigantic just to give the sub enough room to move adequately. the sub has more negatives then positives, and on that note let me get right into the topic for the day...lets compare old school with new school...im talking about putting the 18" solo x up against DR. DEEP the almighty 18" cerwin vega stroker. it seems to me that everyone has forgotten about the best spl sub ever made. period.

lets look at the specs:

SOLO X...5000watts rms/10000watts max
89.7dB sensitivity (1w/1m)
18-100 hz frequency response
weighs 100lbs
custom box required
cost $1,299.95

Stroker...1600watts rms/3200watts max
96 dB sensitivity (1w/1m)
30-200 hz frequency response
weighs 39 lb 12 oz
custom box required
cost $519.99

so with this simple comparison, i would rather have 2 18" cerwin vega strokers instead of 1 solo x 18. whats not to love about the strokers??? light weight at 40lbs, high power handling, dual spiders, and did i forget to mention half the cost. for the same money as an 18" solo x and an amp(s) to push it, you could have a dream system that shows 2 strokers. since the strokers are strictly built for spl, sound quality decent at best.

i had 2 old school stroker 12's in a custom speced slot ported box tuned to 35hz in my stock honda civic (only stereo equipment installed) that hit 147.6 dB's using a directed 1500d running at 1 ohm. so i am still underpowering the subs by 25% or 500wrms. if i were to get another battery and another amp i am quite confident that my car will hit at least 150dB+.

does anyone else have any feelings about the legendary matchup of DR. DEEP vs. SOLO X? are there any other subs that can compete with the strokers for pure SPL?

the bottom line is who cares what junk you got in the trunk as long as you are happy with it...but when it comes to spl strokers are the way to go!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Kravenblood

Ohio

Post Number: 52
i want a new stroker pro 15 lol

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL

Post Number: 3264
i think the Treo SSX and the DD 9500 and 9900 are the way to go.....Strokers are overrated.:-):-)

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL

Post Number: 3265
oh....btw....NOBODY here would EVER buy a Solo X to have an SPL system....even if money was no option...:-)

Kicker sux.
i would choose Stroker over Solo X...but i have read that if the Strokers are not set up just right(like box parameters)...then they sound and perform like d00d00. lol

just my opinion....i have no intent to argue.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1819
i would go with a dd 9917 actually they renamed it the 9918 since its not a secret its a 18 lol but ya thats the way to go

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Michigan

Post Number: 638
i have not heard these subs personally, but what about the RE MT and the shocker audio neo-sig?

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2919
im not positive. but i think the 9917 was a 17 inh driver. they just desided to make it in 18inch now instead.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1744
the old strokers were so fukkin ugly, the re mt and shocker sig would be about even with a stroker spl wise, under 2000 watts, after that the mt and sig would stomp a stroker, and a neo-sig, with the correct amount of power would probally dominate everything mentioned, and DD changed the size from 17 to 18 does that apply to the 99z17, which in case you don't know is DD best spl sub.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1822
trevor the 9917 was never a 17 it has always been a 18 thats why they changed the name because to many people thought it was 17 and not 18. And dustin the 99z is a step above the regualr 9900 series the 99z run around 5g's

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2930
are you sure? i just read something about the diameter of the outside of the basket and it said like 18.1 inches. thats including the gasket.

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1825
i was reading it on a dd the dd forum so im pretty sure not 100% positive though

Gold Member

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 1826
*on the dd forum

lol

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1745
ya the 99z is the best spl sub DD makes, and they don't sell them to any1, you have to be some1 speacial.

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Michigan

Post Number: 659
^^^LOL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us