Kenwood KDC-5019 not responding

Username: Msledge

Post Number: 1
Need help. I've had a Kenwood KDC-5019 for 2 years now and have had no problems until the other night. The radio came on, the backlight lit but the buttons were dark would not respond and the display was blank. Music came on but I could not change the Sirius station or the volume. I turned the car off and everything shut down normally. When I turned the car back on the same thing happened but this time no audio and it's been that way for days now: Powers up and down ok, backlight on, buttons not lit or responding and no audio. I hit the reset button but this did not fix the problem

Unregistered guest
You have to replace the flat-wire to the front panel. But it's not that easy if you've never done it before.

Good Luck!

Post Number: 2
What does the flate-wire do?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1674
I wouldn't jump to conclusions quite that fast, though that would be a fairly accurate guess as to what the problem is in my opinion as well.

He is most likely referring to the flex cable that connects the faceplate to the main unit. They usually wear down on any unit with a motorized faceplate.

Check www.kenwooodparts.com for availability and pricing...you might also need the rectangular receptacle that most of those have to be soldered to. If you're having trouble finding the part, let me know and I'll try to get the parts numbers for you.

The soldering is easy, and getting to the wire is about the same. If you don't mind a do-it-yourself job, it could be a very inexpensive repair-that is if the cable is the problem.

Username: Ludvikjahn

A very similar problem with the same unit started for me last night. The number I got for the parts supplier (on the East Coast) is 800-776-2626. The ribbon-cable is ~$11, a new connector is ~$10. I couldn't find the parts numbers, but the guy on the phone sounded pretty confident that this was what I needed.

Now, while I'm waiting for them to arrive in the mail, anybody know how this is going to work? I presume I'm going to remove the head-unit and open it up. ...should it be obvious what/how to fix it from there?

Post Number: 3
Let me know if that works but how the hell do you replace the ribbon cable and connector? Is it within the internal unit or outside?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1921
Both. You have to remove the top cover, then CD mech to get to one end of the cable. Then you have to remove the screws on the side of the faceplate so you can take it off; the other end of the cable should be right behind there.

Username: Ludvikjahn

Ahh, thanks Jexx! Just the kind of thing I needed to know.

I'll be working on my unit this weekend, and I'll try to borrow a digital camera so I can post some crude form of a step-by-step (assuming I figure it out).

By the way, any super-delicate parts or words of caution before I take my screw-driver and soldering gun to it?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1924
The CD mech has not more than four screws holding it down (usually located at each corner). Be careful as you take it out because it is most likely hooked up to the main PCB with a flex cable of its own (which is removable as well).

Also, the face might take some gentle prodding to wedge it out of the position it is in once the right screws have been taken out.

fast_murray
Unregistered guest
I have a kdc-8009 that also needs a new ribbon cable. I can get it apart up until I go to open up the faceplate, then I get confused. I don't see any screws. Does anyone know how these come apart?

Unregistered guest
kdc 5019 unbelievable same here except nothing working now just backlight then next time nothing reset looks like it wants to do something but does not? If you guys get this nailed please let me know parts and/or how to I have some elec/exper but help is always good eh'

Post Number: 4
Anyone ever get this going?

humi
Unregistered guest
I have the same problem with my kdc-7050R. I need a detailled description on how to replace the flex cable.
@Ludvik Jahn: Did you manage to replace it? Where is your step-by-step description?

Username: Audifan

Claremont, CA USA

OK, here's my solution and detailed instructions for replacing the ribbon cable in a Kenwood KDC-715S: (other units MAY be similar)

http://www.csupomona.edu/~bvnorum/faceplate_ribbon_cable_replace_kdc-715s.pdf

I just finished installing my flex cable tonight and it works! Yes, a bit overkill on the instructions! Hope this helps folks that want to do their own flex cable replacement.

Post Number: 5
On these intructions just had a question on the 1st step (sorry never have done this before)Exactly how do you get the motorized faceplate off? Also the place that orginally installed my stereo never gave me those 2 removal keys, where can I get those?

Chris12345
Unregistered guest
Well... Hope this forum will help me out :-) My faceplate has had the ribbon cable replaced twice (KDC-9017) already & now needs a third. Kenwood did it under warranty the first time. THe seccond time I paid $75 bucks to get it done. This time I am going to save the dough & do it myself.

Username: Audifan

Claremont, CA USA

Mark: "Exactly how do you get the motorized faceplate off?"

With key on, hit the the CD eject button (upper right corner), the motorized faceplate should be in a horizontal position at this point, then move "unlock" button on edge of faceplate so you can slide off the faceplate from the motorized backplate. See top of pg 2. I left out that you need to have faceplate horizontal to remove it. When you turn key off, backplate will move to "security" position (see photo on pg 3 top) which is where you want it for rest of repairs.

"Removal keys" --go to place you had it installed and ask for them, they should have given them to you, or go to another install spot and see if they have any extras--they probably throw them away by the dozens! If that's not an option, you should be able to slide a thin (<1/16") flat piece of metal 1/4" x 5" between deck and deck mount sleeve. This will release spring catches that hold deck to sleeve. You may want to push in slightly on deck while inserting your removal tool to get it to release. Make sure you insert tool midway top to bottom between sleeve and deck, not into deck where motor gears are located. On pg 3 top photo, you can see a "Y" on side of sleeve: the bottom of "Y" is what is holding deck to sleeve.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us