Opinion on 6.5s

Username: Pjcom

Brentwood, TN USA

Post Number: 10
I'm looking for some input on 6.5s. I used to have some Alpine SPS-171As... but unfortunatly lost those and the rest of my car to a F#$^#@G tropical storm and an unfortunate hydroplane. (everything is cool...im just a lefty for a little while ) Should I purchase those speakers again or could i get more bang for my buck elsewhere? Thanks ahead of time! (and drive safely!!!)

Bronze Member
Username: Dozyproductions

San Diego, California United States

Post Number: 22
id go with the type R's if your looking for something cheap and not so shabby. or get some kind of component system

xdrummer03
Unregistered guest
Damn $155 cheap for the Type R's? If you looking for something nice in the $80-$90 range get the Pioneer 4way 6.5 or 3way 6.5

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
well yes they are that much, but if you take the extra 5 minutes to look its about 100 with S&H.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
oh yeah, i had those pioneers. um... not impressed.

Bronze Member

Brentwood, TN USA

Post Number: 11
The Alpine SPS-171As are components and I got them from a local shop for arround $200. Sorry I didnt post that before. But Im looking to stay in the same price range. I was just looking to see if there was somthing better out there in that price range that I wasn't aware of.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
the infinity kappas holmes! or you could seriously go for the type r components, for cheap... just look?

xdrummer03
Unregistered guest
If your looking that price rang just go 60 more and get the Type R's. They blow Infinity Kappas away considering Infinity blow anyways.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
you saying 260 for the type R components? man where do you shop?

Bronze Member

Brentwood, TN USA

Post Number: 12
How do the type R components rate with the infinity kappa perfects? (they are ebay for arround the same price)

xdrummer03
Unregistered guest
Thats what they retail for in stores. I only paid $123 for mine brand new when they came out. I can get stuff like that any time all day so i dont really shop just buy :-)

Kyle Allen
Unregistered guest
hey drummer where do you get your stuff from.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
very nice, yeah the only shop i have around here is bestbuy and they can go to hell. just because i love alpine i would go with them, and someone correct me, but i would see them as being even rivals. WEll it depends on what music you listen to. I think if your going for the acoustic stuff, then the kappas.

Bronze Member
Username: Justintoxicated

Post Number: 81
DLS MS6 probably much better than alpines and kappas

xdrummer03
Unregistered guest
Haha i work at Best Buy and you get the mad hookups there. mmm discount.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
the one near me, its top model and brand is alpine type R. Dont wanna put beef on you haha but over here, they are useless. Hey is there a site were you could find the DLS MS6 under 195? i wouldnt mind euro speakers. (euro pride?)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
here is a thread that turned me on to them, from another forum though, but DLS seems to get good reviews here also. I decided to fork out another $275 for Irridiums but I'll probaby regret it later while I live off PB and J for a couple weeks lol

http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=104023&page=1

here is the site that had them
http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/cgi-bin/icastore.cgi?user_action=list&category=D LS%3BComponents

If you shop around you can get a better deal than that probably. Only thing I didn't like was the cones seem fragile but I doubt it would be an issue really and I hear magnesium is a good material for sound reproduction. Your not going to be able to pick these up at best buy though lol.

Bronze Member

Brentwood, TN USA

Post Number: 14
what other speaker lines use magnesium?

Bronze Member

Brentwood, TN USA

Post Number: 15
Also, where did you get those Irridiums from?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
I don't have them yet but I think I'm getting a deal from a guy who owns a shop. We wills ee if it goes through.

I beleive the Seas Lotus Uses Magnesium.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Hey justintoxicated would you know about the lower dls models. such as the c6 or the ps6. i dont think the ms6 sub cone will fit in my door. sexy...

Bronze Member

Brentwood, TN USA

Post Number: 18
Sounds like a good friend :-) good luck on getting those. And it seems you've convinced me to look into those MS6 speakers, but d@mn I'd like a pair of those Irridiums!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
Well, dls does sound awesomely good... lets say i could get the KAPPA60.5CS or polk MMC650 for around 100$. would the dls be worth the extra 100? ( i know a lot of people ask this lame question but) how do these two listed comps compare?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
I have not heard the DLS yet, I just heard good things about them. If you can get a good deal you might want to go that route. I can't tell you if it would be worth it or not either, it depends what your after and what kind of sound you prefer. I'm not a pro or anyting just been looking stuff up online, and reading other peoples reviews etc.

I don't know much about the lower modles, might want to look at something else, what would make the sub cone not fit vs other 6.5s? Could you fit them if you built some MDF spacers?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
aiy, thanks a lot justin. mabye dls in the future.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4163
Justin, magnesium CAN be good, but it is extremely tricky. Those particular mids (SEAS Lotus) have a 16db resonant peak at 4.5khz. That is a NASTY peak and takes a hell of a notch filter to level out. The Lotus crossovers come with a notch filter, but the driver itself becomes louder as frequency raises, it uses a 12db filter and still achieves a 6db rolloff due to the rise in response of the midbass driver. Metal cones have their drawbacks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
I just didn't like it cause it said not to touch the cone. Yet I almost bought them anyways.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
PJ, Dozy, whoever

If you want in on the same deal I am getting my AIM is desertrat1981 send me a pm and I can get you the information. This guy says he has other brands of components also.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
PJ, Dozy, whoever

If you want in on the same deal I am getting my AIM is desertrat1981 send me a pm and I can get you the information. This guy says he has other brands of components also.

Silver Member
Username: Jbailey

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 130
Hey Justintoxicated, how much are you spending on the Iridiums through your hookup? I might be interested in getting some if the price is right.

Bronze Member

Brentwood, TN USA

Post Number: 21
Hey Justin...I'm just posting because I want to know how those Irridiums turned out? Do they get a thumbs up?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us