Archive through August 02, 2005FEOT100
Archive through May 26, 2005Barry Hii100
Archive through February 24, 2005Noanker100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Bronze Member
Username: Nossus

CT

Post Number: 14
I should qualify my last post. Don't look up series on-line and wire the four speakers according to the illustrations. The impedance would be too high. If you treat each mod2 as 1 speaker and then wire them in series, you would be sending an impedance of 8 ohms to the receiver. You shouldn't have a problem driving them in this set up. Someone out there has pics of their speakers set up in this way as Monologue stated above.

I am not an expert at this... call the company first for detailed info.

bargamon
Unregistered guest
New speakers for Den? Or iBook with warranty and other goodies for straight A student musician son going into high school?

iBook!

Daddy need to wait again!

Reginald D
Unregistered guest
Just got my set of copper Orbs last week. What sound!! What looks!! I finally do believe the hype. I am as skeptical as they come, and I second guess any purchase over $500 incessantly, but these things are keepers. My wife is blown away, too, and the "big speaker/small speaker" debate is finally over and we are both winners. These are the best sounding sub/sat speakers I've ever heard, and they don't fall apart for music like most of the others. I have all of the usual raves, so I won't repeat them, but go for these things if you are in the market, you won't be disappointed.

Dagnabit
Unregistered guest
Very nice writeup in Home Theater Magazine this month and also on audioholics last week. Secret is out.

bargamon
Unregistered guest
I went to barnes and noble to read the Home theater writer up. They had the Mod1 but spoke of the 2 and a "4" they are working on! Good write up certainly!

PianoProdigy
Unregistered guest
I'm getting a Samsung CRT projection TV for my living room. I've drawn out a diagram of my living room. I'm planning on getting Mod1s all around except the center channel which will be a Mod2. How will this layout work? Can the left and right speakers be mounted onto the sides of my TV? Is it ok for the center channel to just sit on top of the TV (with the stand of course).

[IMG]http://www.alantripp.com/livingroomlayout.jpg[/IMG]

Reginald D
Unregistered guest
I think your layout will work fine, but I don't think you will be able to attach the Orbs to the sides of the TV. You will need stands or mounts. It's fine for the center to sit on the TV.

Bronze Member
Username: Mark_mcintosh

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 21
I also think your layout will work fine. I have my center right above the television and the left and right sitting on the entertainment center beside the TV, about 70 inches apart. It looks similar to one of the pictures on the Orb website except the center is above the TV instead of in front. They come with stands that will sit on an entertainment center or table. You give up a little stereo separation in the front by having the speakers so close together, but they still sound great.

Bronze Member
Username: Neuronerd

West Orange, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 40
The amount of separation you want and the use of the speakers will influence the placement. The center is no problem on top or beneath (you may have to change the timing from the receiver to synch with speach).

If you use the speakers for music, the separation between ORBs is not enough to get stereo playback. The smaller the distance between ORBs, the more the sound merges.

For Home Theater exclusive, mounting the speakers on the side of the TV would take some ingenuity. To face forward, you would have to mount the mounting brackets or attach the ORBs to a swivel. The clips that can be obtained will be necessary to provided stability -- could be cool.

Bronze Member

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 22
The front speakers are centered between the rears, which are about 18 feet apart, so I get some separation from the rears since I listen to music in the 5 channel stereo. Not perfect, but still sounds great.

Bronze Member
Username: Ricari

Post Number: 12
The AG man is back Markie Mark. No hard feelings. The A'divas and the MPS get better everday in case you are wondering. The MPS has found it's groove. I have wondered why some reviews on this website are poor. I feel that room acoustics plays a large role in sound. My listening room for example is 19lx15wx12h. I have very little absorbtion. As we all know, this is not very good for acoustics. The downfiring subwoofer works well with tile floors and large open space. If you have carpet floors and a much less volume it can dramatically change the sound. This style sub may not work well. You need a sub that has a larger encloser to overcome the volume of the room. The other great thing is the MPS does not look like a sub. It is pleasing to the eye. Which is good if can not hide it. The A'divas in stainless steel look great and sound wonderful. Check out the new TiA'
divas. Better than the original with a larger frequency response 76hz-22khz.

RonBon
Unregistered guest
My friend has his Orbs only about 5 feet apart due to space constraints and they still sound pretty darn awesome.

SG-HT
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I've been reading the reviews on the ORbs and checking out their website. I'm probably going to buy the ORB Mod2's 5.1 system. I saw Orb changed their bundle to include a Pioneer AV Receiver (model: VSX-815K) and an optional Pioneer DVD player. What does anyone think of the Pioneer bundle? From what I read I heard the Pioneer reproduces movies well but ok for music.

What Receivers do you recommend for the Orb Mod2s? I've been looking at Denon (AVR3805, Harmon Kardon, Marantz (SR-8500), Integra, Rotel, Musical Fidelity. I don't want to go overboard on price, but I want something mid to high end.

What DVD players does anyone recommend that reproduces movies and DVD-A's very well?

Thanks

Varit
Unregistered guest
All of those receivers are probably better than the Pioneer, but they are also more expensive. I really love the Denon 3805, and it's about to be replaced by the 3806. That means you can probably get a great deal on the 3805 or you can get a brand new model if you prefer the new features (HDMI switching and maybe more).

DVD players are tricky...If you have HDTV, you will probably want a new DVD player when the HD DVDs and BluRay sort out there differences in a year or two. That would mean buying something OK for now and a new one later.

Username: Jonandabby

Post Number: 10
Receiver - I've got mine hooked up to an Onkyo 601 (2 generations old), and it sounds fine.

DVD - I agree with Varit. Go to Sam's Club and buy a Toshiba with progressive scan for $29. It will hold you until the HDDVD's come out.

bargamon
Unregistered guest
Receiver:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/1070.html

DVD depends on your TV. Samsung makes a DVI output model that I think sells for $100.

My 6 year old sony looks great on my Loewe Aconda. My set only has compenant inputs, But it looks great!

As an orbfan, you buy what sounds good and not get too hooked up on specs and price.

The outlaw reciever is a bit pricy at 899$ but I think is a great bargain and I can see it worthy of pumping new amps thru it as an upgrade one day. They are a direct to buyer internet source also.

tryorb
Unregistered guest
wire:

do anyone know what wire and sub cable the orbaudio sell in their company?

thank you

Varit
Unregistered guest
I wouldn't worry about brand of speaker wire. If your speaker has a brand, then you paid too much. For sub cables, who knows? Again it probably doesn't matter at the $24 price range.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
I've always used IXOS for speakers and subs without problem. You can have a whole board on cabling choices. ORBs consultants are of the opinion that it matters little for most installations.

tryorb
Unregistered guest
thanks, so do you think Varit work for ORB?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
it is a nonsense question. you post for comments or advice. there are no disclosure forms or reprocussions. contrary advice isn't necessarily nefarious.

Many believe, with factual evidence in support, that wiring choices beyond correct gauge choices means little, the manufacturers are perpetuating a myth for profit.

i simply added that the ORB technicians support that view, consistent with Varit -- which would SAVE MONEY.

tryorb
Unregistered guest
right. the point is my sur is 70 f away. So I consinder if I need choose better wire for them. I mean brand or gauge.

I use the digital coax cable for sub.

tryorb
Unregistered guest
I think 14g or 12g is good for my sur.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
cool...
Like I stated earlier, I use IXOS for cabling, wiring, and sub. There will be those that think that is too much money or too little but I like the sound.

I do use the specific sub cable. In my experience, the sub wiring is more prone to interference.

Reginald D
Unregistered guest
So my son smashed one of my Orbs today beyond repair and the guys at Orb said they'd replace it for only $45 plus shipping! They told me they will "insure" up to 2 Orbs for that price for things not covered under warranty. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me. Most companies could take a few lessons from Orb.

Unregistered guest
Anyone try to ceiling mount the orbs using something like the gallo ceiling mount rings: http://www.roundsound.com/ceilingmounts.html

My wife will not accept a mod2 dangling down from the ceiling or mod1 balls on the ceiling. Any ideas?

Bronze Member
Username: Ricari

Post Number: 13
Unfortunetly, you can not use the ceiling mounts for the orbs. They are sized to fit either a micro or A'diva speaker. My personal opinion on your speaker selection would be to purchase the A'diva with ceiling mounts instead of the mod2 Orb or The Micro with ceiling mounts instead of mod1. You can find Anthony gallo below retail. If you need help let me know.

ThomCat0865
Unregistered guest
Just got my Orb system set up last week. What a pleasure this purchase has been. These speakers sound and look great and I was blown away right out of the box. Even my wife was impressed and said "for once I can actually hear the difference you are talking about." The company was very easy to deal with on the phone, and the package arrived in less than a week. I had tracking #s within 24 hours of my order. I highly recommend these speakers if you are looking for something that has big sound and you are comfortable w/ the direct business model/cutting out the middleman. It's a great way to save $$ and still get a premium product w/ premium service.

Bronze Member

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 28
Congratulations! What set-up did you get and what other equipment are you using?

Anonymous

I have recently changed receiver to a Denon 3805. The Orb Mod2 sounded really nice with the Denon. However, I can't figure out why the Super8, which is in "auto" mode, does not 'wake up' when playing music CDs in lower volumes (below -40db). It's OK when the volume is cranked up. Wonder if others with 3805s experience the same? Thanks.

John Tara
Unregistered guest
Orbs vs the new updated Klipsch Quintet III ???? is this a reasonable comparison??? also using the Klipsch sub 10 synergy Had ORBS high on X-MAS list but I believe Mrs Santa may have purchased the Quintet III package??? Any input???

ThomCat0865
Unregistered guest
I got the People's Choice system and the Pioneer VSX-1015 receiver. I figure it's double the performance of Bose at less than half the price. I really can't say enough good things about the speakers or the service I received when I had questions about setup/location. The sound is so much bigger than it has a right to be, and I love the clarity and detail. I'm no expert, but I like what I hear and that's really all that matters, right?

CrazyCoder
Unregistered guest
i think the problem with the Super8 not "waking up" is a known one. Actually, I don't know if it is a problem or not. When I spoke with Orb about this, they recommended that I leave the switch in the "on" position at all times.

Username: Njx3

Post Number: 1
I'm thinking of buying the Orb MOD2s for my music-only system to replace my old Boston Acoustics A-70s. My new stereo receiver is the Harmon Kardon 3480.

Does this sound like a good match?

Thanks.

Arthur_K_Apfelbaum
Unregistered guest
The Orbs are great for music...much better than all of the sub/sat systems I've heard before them. I haven't heard them w/ that receiver, but I just recently upgraded to the HK 635 (surround receiver) and it is simply out of this world. The Orbs do the HK justice or vice versa...definitely an improvement over my banged up very old Onkyo that it replaced. I had no complaints at all before the switch, but the HK def. brought a little more detail out of the Orbs. I hate trying to describe slight differences in sound, the words always seem inadequate, so let's just leave it that.

Username: Njx3

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your opinion, Arthur. I just like Harman/Kardon stuff.

Now here's my new dilemma:

I am trying to set up a music-only system for my living room and kitchen. I want to put the Orb Classic 2 setup in my living room and an extra pair of Mod2s in the kitchen.

Here's the question...will the Super 8 subwoofer that comes with the Classic 2 (and will be placed in the living room) also be able to provide bass to my extra speakers in the kitchen?

Thanks for anyone's input.

bkkchris
Unregistered guest
So I just purchased a 5.1 Orb1 (with an Orb2 for center) system. Can't wait to get the system hooked up. Question on speaker placement. As I am tryint to keep the speakers "hidden" as much as possible, any great downfall to mounting these orbs on the ceiling/wall baseboard, i guess aiming down towards my listening area. The center would be at TV height. Otherwise I got to go with stands, and the added clutter.

Cheers!

Bronze Member
Username: Monolgoue

Post Number: 91
I think most speakers sound best at ear level, but many people still mount them up high and get good sound. I think if you aim them down you can recapture most of the performance. But, in the end, it's a question of how much weight you want to put on sound quality vs. hiding the speakers. I would at least listen to them at ear level (on chairs, etc.) first, so you know what they are capable of.

bargamon
Unregistered guest
Its a compromise, but a small one. Sure its better at ear level, but it depends on how critical this listening area is.

Lets put it this way, if its that critical, you should be going in a different direction speaker wise and in setting up this room. I hate the term "lifestyle" as it implies a bose product, but lets be real, we are sometimes trying to just get the best sound and due to design of houses, we need it to be transparent........and the speaker in the wall thing needs lots of money to do it right.......so for 1400 dollars you can't do much better than these orbs.

Bass in the kitchen. depends on where the sub is and room design. Many new homes are open den/kitchen designs. This is easy. In my home My sub actually back up to the kitchen/den wall, and since my sub is hidden in a vented custom cabinet (deliberate by the way, a fabric false panel and radiaters bleed "Subsonic" air into the room)the bass is going to get into the kitchen. My goal here is filler by the way. Im using a full range but very small boston speakers so the sub is just helping out, It works, the speakers are at the top my kitchen cabinets. Best set up would be small ceiling speakers and a bass but im not into whole house audio.

Audioneo
Unregistered guest
All

I am planning on buying Orbs but just want to make sure that they are indeed superior to Bose. I have the following questions and would appreciate your suggestions

1. Which Bose systems are comparable to Mod1 and Mod2 ? I see Acoustimass 10 Series III selling for $899 (Compare to Mod 2?) Acoustimass 6 selling at $649 (compare to Mod 1?). If these are comparable, I don't see the 'great price advantage' ! If not, can you suggest which ones are comparable?

2. Is there any scientific study comparing hte two speaker systems or individual speakers? Bose claims Direct/reflecting cube speaker array .. does it mean anything?

Greatly appreciate any information that will help me make my decision.

Varit
Unregistered guest
You will definitely love the Orbs. They are more than a couple notches up from Bose quality. I'd even say they sound better than the most expensive Bose systems ($3,000-$4,000). The subwoofer is a much different beast, and the satellites have a bigger and better driver that plays the midrange frequencies that are critical to the success of small speakers. I consider Orb the best of the crop when it comes to small speakers, especially given the direct business model which saves serious $$.

Bargamon
Unregistered guest
What makes Bose special is the ease of hookup and ease of operation. The sound for the money is good, but they are a premium priced product.

The ORBs sound much better than any bose system. Ease of operation is for some people very important. I did one for my parents as they could not even begin to figure the most basic stuff out!

Them more expensive Bose system does not really improve the sound but I believe its in the type of remote they have, and the full lifestyle system witht the built in hard drive. Its a nice concept, and provides value. But it does not sound better.

Maybe its best to think of Bose as a "consumer product" than builder of audio equipement. I don't hate on Bose, but at the same time cannot endorse them other than their target market. They produce a great "Lifestyle" product to people who don't like to "geek out" on the equipment.

I like to "geek out" myself.

Username: Distillerafi

Very exciting just ordered my new Orb Mod2 5.1 system. i have a pioneer VSX-815 to match these with. does anyone have the same or a similar setup and how does it sound. i did notice that orb sells the new pioneer receivers with their complete packages. also, how long did most of u break ur speakers in for and what was the content used to break in. thanx Jon

JohnnyD1967
Unregistered guest
I just got the People's Choice for the holidays w/ the Pioneer VSX-815...you are going to love it. My wife and I are going bananas over the sound, and I really don't think there's a better value out there right now. As for break in, I didn't do anything special other than play them. They warmed up a little and the sub got louder and deeper over the first couple of weeks. I'm sure there's more you can do in the break-in category, I just didn't have the time and figured they'd break in one way or the other.

Bronze Member

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 33
All I did was play mine for a couple of days. When I went to work for the first few days I had the Orbs, I would load my CD player and let it play while I was gone. Then at night I would listen to them. They broke in pretty quickly. You really don't have to do anything special to break them in except listen and enjoy!

one other ? while im being curious, what kind of speaker wire would u guys reccomend for my orb mod2 set of surround speakers

Anonymous

I've just started reading this board for the first time after beginning my research for buying a new system. I'm still powering my old JBL giants with my 80's NAD Amps. Time to go small with quality.

I have a good line to buy a new ONYKO TX-SR 803 receiver to use with my yet to purchase 5.1 ORBS to start with. Has anyone used this receiver with their ORBS? I also plan to use the ONYKO through a powered ZONE 2 to continue running my JBL L100T behemoths upstairs.

Any comments or advice?

bargamon
Unregistered guest
Can't imagine any problems with that set up.

Me, Im pondering a Denon 3806, outlaw 1070, or Outlaw 970 processor with 7 x 125 amp cluster.

Leaning toward the Denon and getting a new DVD player to match for same price as outlaw combo.

bargamon
Unregistered guest
Can't imagine any problems with that set up.

Me, Im pondering a Denon 3806, outlaw 1070, or Outlaw 970 processor with 7 x 125 amp cluster.

Leaning toward the Denon and getting a new DVD player to match for same price as outlaw combo.

Username: Dbullock

We are close to the end of finishing our basement including a media room. My intent has been to allow double-use of our media room for the kids to play without worrying about boinking a head on the corner of a speaker.

To that end I have installed a flushmount projection screen, two NAD in-wall subwoofers and I just ordered 5 Orb2's. I'll drive them using an NAD 763 and NAD A1's + X1 for the subs.

Hopefully I can have them setup sometime next week and provide some feedback. I have a pair of Klipsch KLF-20's I want to compare them with.. just for fun.

I am a complete non-audiophile so keep that in mind when consider any opinions from me though.

Dan

Username: Dbullock

Correction.. the subs and sub related equipment are NHT.

Bargamon
Unregistered guest
Dan,

If it sound good to you, amd makes you smile, thats all that counts.

Curious how the inwall subs work out for you.

One thing to consider is using 4 orbs as the center. Its done all the time.

Bronze Member

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 34
What's the advantage of using 4 Orbs for the center? If you need more center volume, why can't you just bump the volume on the center channel setting with the receiver? How are 4 wired together? Anybody out there tried it in their system? What about Mod 4's all the way around? LOL

shortcut
Unregistered guest
Why don't you get a bunch of those cheap iPod speakers, run them in two parallel strings of 5 in series and plug them into a passive subwoofer. It should sound about the same.

Orbs are just Bose Acoustimass in different packaging. Unless you have an extremely small room for your home theater or crap all over the floor, spend your money on something a little bigger and you will actually get to use that amp to its full potential.

I used to have Bose and have heard the Orbs but if you really want solid, cinema sound you have to go with some decent floorstanders in a 5.1 arrangement. At least start with some decent bookshelfs.

You don't see movie theaters, clubs or concerts running tiny little speakers everywhere do you? Why should you?

But hey don't take my word for it, hear for yourself.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
You need to have your ears checked if you think the Orbs sound like Bose. Their sub alone is 10x better and let's not even talk about the huge difference in the satellite drivers and construction. And you are ignoring the fact that some people want smaller speakers and have different priorities from you. Maybe they aren't for you, but my wife and I love them and more than a couple people have bought Orbs after hearing mine. I agree no one should take anyone's word for it and should "hear for yourself" but consider the fact that not everyone wants 5 giant (or medium) boxes in their room, plus some massive sub.

shortcut
Unregistered guest
That's great that you like them. It's a matter of opinion and I gave mine. Thanks. Each person is different. I know the Orbs sound better than Bose as it seems Orbs took what Bose did and made it better. It's wasn't hard considering the lack of design change over the MANY years the Acoustimass system has been out. I had a set in 1993. I loved them at the time but my tastes have long since matured.

This will always be an ongoing argument but there are many options for reduced footprint speakers to get real sound such that you don't have to resort to hanging pretty toys on your wall. If you think those little Orbs can compare to a decent set of 'giant' or medium boxes, yer dreamin'.

FloridaSun
Unregistered guest
That makes no sense Shortcut -- that's essentially saying Bose is the best design for a small sat/sub system and also the most reasonably priced. Neither of which is true...Orb, Gallo, B&W, Mission and a host of others make compact systems that sound much better and "bigger" than the Bose system, for less $$. Granted floorstander people will never understand the attraction of small speakers, but there are small speaker people that will never understand the attraction of floorstanders, or even bookshelves when you are putting 7 of them in a room. And for people that don't want floorstanders, there is a huge difference in quality and pricing out there, and Orb stands above Bose in both respects. I replaced Bose w/ Orb, so I know what I'm talking about. It sounds much bettter under identical circumstances. Would 7 massive speakers sound different? Sure. Am I extremely happy w/ what I have? Also sure.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
Agreed shortcut...bigger speakers can probably sound bigger than the Orbs or any small speaker. For me personally, I felt that Orb got close enough to the big box sound that the size difference was worth the sound difference. This is especially true b/c I had much bigger speakers but no sub before. In that situation, the switch to Orb was very different...I actually got more bass, and better (deeper, tighter, less boomy) bass at that. So the change was not as dramatic, and overally I'd say my sound quality actually went up all things considered. The Orbs were more detailed and three dimensional sounding than the 3 way speakers I had and the bass was definitely better. My opinion might be different if the switch had been from 5 big speakers and a sub to 5 orbs, but when you factor in the addition of the Orb sub, I was pretty impressed. Hope that makes sense...

Post Number: 3
hey guys, i just got my new mod2 5.1 orb system and need a little help with configuring the setup within my room. i am attaching a rough outline of my room. the speaker positions are current ones of my old system, but im looking into moving them around to make a better sounding surround sound evironment. i am also goin to buy a sixth sometime soon. i would appreciate some suggestions. i did buy multimounts from orb for the speakers. if someone could let me know the reccomended height for speakers than would be great also. the room is basically 14x14 with a 9 foot ceiling. also if anyone does have a better way of arranging the room for better sound let me know. thanx JonUpload

shortcut
Unregistered guest
All good points. Some people are just so closed off that they continue the arguement that you can get equal or better sound out of satellites than floorstanders. It is a DIFFERENT sound and everyone has their priorities and preferences. Speaker manufacturers know this never considered making satellite systems until the demand got too great.

I will never say that Bose was the best but I'm pretty sure they were the first and marketed the hell out of them and that's why they've been able to carry on for so long. Alot of companies have built on what they had and were able to make a better system. And the Bose pricetag is by no means reasonable for what you get.

As far as bass goes, floorstanders and subs tend to have a more tangible feel to them where you don't necessarily hear it as much as feel it. When watching 'The Empire Strikes Back', 'The Abyss' or 'The Matrix' you'll know what I'm talking about. Those tend to be my reference DVD's.

Good chat but I should head over the 'Which is better: Floorstanders vs Satellite' Forum. I'm sure it gets pretty heated over there.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
That's a pretty tough setup but I bet a pretty common one. There's not much you can do to spread out the front speakers, your hands are kind of tied there. For the rears, maybe you can try pulling them back a little bit so they are not totally in front of the listening position. Which way are they pointing? For height, Orb told me to keep the front speakers about ear level when seated and to not worry as much about the rears, but to make sure no speaker was in anyone's ear. My room was a little easier to set up than this one so I didn't ask too many questions.

Anonymous

Is anyone familiar with the Mirage Omni S8 subwoofer? Its very similar to the super 8 but it can be had for cheaper, goes lower in frequency and IMHO looks WAY better than the super 8. Anybody knows how it would blend with the orbs? Thanks!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
should probably work

Username: Plsrls

New to the forum, but highly considering Orb (great reviews, high WAF, price, etc). I'm looking at a 6.1 People's Choice paired with a Pioneer VSX 1015. My main concern is that my room is 14.5 x 19.5, with 9' ceilings over half the length, and then cathedral (up to 14') for the remaining length. Additionally, the room is open (along one of the 14.5' spans) to the kitchen. Will the Orbs (and especially the Super 8) have enough to do the job? If not, what other reasonably compact satellite speaker system should I consider, and matched with what sub? Comments, opinions? Thanks in advance.

Attached layout of room. Sub could be placed slightly left of the entertainment center (i.e., left of the front left speaker) or other place if suitable. Also looking at mounting the surrounds (left, center, and right) behind the seating area, along the back wall, firing at each other. Except for a curtain kind of close to the one surround, I think I'm okay.

application/pdfUpload
layout.pdf (7.1 k)

Anonymous

Pete,
I have very similar setup as yours. My living room is similar size and height, and is also open to kitchen and breakfast area. The Orbs I have (people's choice) has no problems whatsoever. Don't understimate their size. The can play very loud without distortion.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
I have the Orbs in a room that is bigger than that and they fill it w/ no trouble. I have the sub at less than 1/2 volume and it is very immersive.

tonygeno
Unregistered guest
Pete,

Subwoofing is all about expectations and how much sound you're trying to achieve. If you are looking to hit reference level in that size room, the Orb sub won't do, at least very low. It's just not large enough. If on the other hand, you are satisfied with lower levels or less low end grunt, the Super 8 should work well. It's all about what you're trying to achieve SPL wise.

tonygeno
Unregistered guest
I took delivery of Mod 2s last week and have been for the most part been enjoying them.

I have noticed though that when pushed (Reference Level on DVDs) and loud music (not crazy loud, Beethoven 3rd for instance peaking in the low 90s using a sound pressure meter, c weighted in my 3000 cubic foot room from 11 feet away) they can sound a little raw, as if there's an upper midrange emphasis. Is this a frequency response issue, distortion issue, or what?

They seem very efficient and can surely play loud with little power, although I'm pushing an Outlaw 7125 that puts out 150 per into 8, so clipping not the problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the great input. I'll post my opinions once I get the system running.

Post Number: 4
Based on everyone's (tonygeno, monologue, etc.) feedback, the orb satellites should push enough for the room I described. My thought right now is to start with the Super 8, and if it doesnt suit me, then upgrade. I've only just begun researching subs from Hsu, SVS, Velodyne, but haven't heard them either...

bargamon
Unregistered guest
Tony: what are you using for a processor?

Pete: I use an outlaws LF-1 sub even though my room is smaller than yours. It is personal. U can always add another Super 8. Those guys will cut you a deal on one. Two woofs are better than one if your not happy. I think another one is only $299. For $579 you can get one LF-1. Its a different animal. I bought mine on a lark for$379 because the glass top is 1/8 an inch above the recess. Can't notice it, and mine is hidden anyway!

I also have a small Hsu in a different system in a 10x16 room and it does fine. It should.
The specs on he Super 8 are better and the reviews confim its a good deal. your doing a mod2 I assume. Good luck and post when you have it together!

I am ordering my system soon and considering getting a super 8 because its a good value and I have a 3rd system in the Pool room that I am putting together.

Varit
Unregistered guest
150 watts seems like a lot of power for the Orbs.

tonygeno
Unregistered guest
My processor is an Outlaw 990 and my amp is a 7125.

Bargamon
Unregistered guest
Tony,

Nice system! Im torn between the new 970 with the 7125 or the Denon 3808 and use the Denon Link with the DVD player. I have a nice connection with Denon. Im leaning toward the Denon as the pwer rating is (at least on the surface) is similar but for a bit more the DVD universal player with one optic cable to the receiver is adding a cleaner signal and convienence that I can't get with the outlaws. I am a big fan of your set up!

Bargamon
Unregistered guest
Tony,

Nice system! Im torn between the new 970 with the 7125 or the Denon 3808 and use the Denon Link with the DVD player. I have a nice connection with Denon. Im leaning toward the Denon as the pwer rating is (at least on the surface) is similar but for a bit more the DVD universal player with one optic cable to the receiver is adding a cleaner signal and convienence that I can't get with the outlaws. I am a big fan of your set up!

Bargamon
Unregistered guest
Tony,

Username: Tonygeno

Plymouth, MA United States

I have heard the 970 and it's a great piece. If you don't need Zone 2, it sounds wonderful, and is a great bargain.

djPavlos
Unregistered guest
I am thinking of buying the "People's choice" system (mod2 for L, R, and C and mod1 for the rears) to go with a Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi receiver (I thought about the VSX-1015TX which is MUCH cheaper but I want HDMI inputs). The only twist is that I will use a Mirage Omni S8 subwoofer instead of the Super eight that comes with the package. Anybody has any thoughts on this configuration?

The key with subwoofering and the Orbs is that the sub needs to output to around 150. Most 8" can do it, many tens can do it, a few 12s can do it. Because the Orbs are so small they can't put out a lot off volume low, hence the recommended higher crossover compared to both THX specs and your typical bookshelves. A 3 incher can move only so much air. So, if the specs of the Mirage show frequncy response out to around 150, you should be fine.

I just took a look at the Mirage specs. It's rated +- 3db to 120 so you should be fine.

Post Number: 4
I'm curious as to what frequency you folks are crossing your orbs/subs and how you settled on that frequency.

Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
I think that sub would work fine.

djPavlos
Unregistered guest
For what it's worth, I am getting the Mirage Omni S8 over the Orb super 8 for a number of reasons: First, Amazon was selling it for a really low $179 including shipping. It has better specs than the super 8 ( goes down to 27Hz [27Hz-120Hz +/- 3dB] and IMHO looks much better than the super 8. Finally, it got a glowing review where it was compared very favorably to the Outlaw LFM-1:

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/mirage_omni_s8.htm

The only drawback is that the Omni S8 does not have speaker-level outputs, so in a two-channel system you can not hook up your main speakers directly to it- I will have to use the sub-out connection on the receiver. I am actually thinking of ordering the "People's Choice" system WITH the super 8, and since both Orb and Amazon have a 30 day free return option, I'll listen to both and decide which one's better...

...Oh, and I am in Austin Tx which means I have absolutely, positively no connection to the Canadian Mirage company..

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
That review sounds exactly like the reviews of the Orb sub on the Orb site. And probably reviews of the Outlaw sub on the Outlaw site. I love audio reviews...I wonder if they are just cut and paste jobs from one sub to the other. Anyhow, I'd be interested to see what you think. Orb sells direct...that usually means the Super Eight is going to be better value than things sold the old fashioned way, but it also looks like the Mirage is heavily discounted. One thing though -- the Super Eight has a 150 watt amp vs. a 100 watt amp for the Mirage. To me, that's a more important spec than the 27hz of the Mirage and the 28hz of the Super Eight. In the end all that matters is that it sounds good, though, and I bet both subs will be fine. They aren't that different, really, good high excursion 8" driver in 1 cubic ft. cabinet.

djPavlos
Unregistered guest
You are right about the power rating issue - the amplifier in the orb sub is more powerful than the Mirage; and, usually, when companies sell direct, they can sell cheaper than if they went through a regular dealer network. However there is something to be said about the cost savings associated with the lower manufacturing costs of a large, established speaker manufacturer such as Mirage compared to a small company such as Orb. I've had good luck with Canadian audio products in the past and I would not have purchased this sub if it was not manufactured in Canada. Frankly, I thought it was a damn good deal for a Mirage product (the amazon price has now gone up to $250)and I like the way it looks better. I guess I'll let my ears do the judging when I put everything together!

Post Number: 5
I'm curious as to what frequency folks are crossing your orbs/subs and how you settled on that frequency.

Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
120hz...experimented w/ 80, 100 & 120hz and they didn't sound much different in my room. Some folks from here told me to set it at the higher end so I did that and it's been that way ever since.

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the response. I've got it set at 150hz and have tried 120. Just thought I'd get a little more power handling going a little higher. I think 100 and 80 are way too low given the size of the Orb's driver. Just don't think they can hit either of those two frequencies with sufficient volume.

CuriousG
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I've been researching the Orbs a bit lately and wanted to start out with the Classic Two system for a living room, before moving on to HT. My LR is approximately 19' x 14', which is open to my dining room (12' x 11'), and also is open to a hallway (~15').

My first concern is that this system would be able to fill this room, since it is not closed in, but some reviews on the Orbs in general mentioned that this should not be a problem.

I figured I'd cut my teeth on this system and then look into the HT system for my family room.

Can anyone recommend a good overall receiver, CD Changer (with DVD-A capability), and cables for my Classic Two setup? I didn't want to go overboard. I'm looking at Denon (3805, 3806), Outlaw (1070 or RR2150 stereo rec), and Yamaha for receivers and Denon and Integra (DPC-8.5) for CD Changers. I was looking at IXOS speaker cables and AR subwoofer cables (interconnect recommendations too??).

What do you think? If you could receommend specific models (for all), that would be very helpful.

I'm just using this as purely an audio system for now, but will probably convert into a HT system for another room someday, so I was looking AV receivers and CD/DVD Changers (with DVD-A &/or SACD capabilities).

Thanks!!
George

Varit
Unregistered guest
You'll be shocked at how loudly they play and how full they sound. I have a surround system, but I listen to CDs in stereo mode, which is just a Classic Two. My room is about that size or a little bigger and it totally rocks. Can't really comment on receivers...it looks like you picked all of the good ones!

CuriousG
Unregistered guest
I was doing some more research on some of the Denon products. Ethan at Orb recommended the new AV receiver coming out, 2807, mentioned at this year's CES (and any Denon receiver from the 1706 model upwards), but it will be a little pricey (~$1,100). He really likes the Denon products. He also receommended not to go overboard on the CD/DVD changer, since HD-DVD will be more common in the next year or two. I was also looking at Denon's 5 disc changer (DVM-2815) in addition to the Integra unit. A couple people of told me that the Denon 2815 is good, but there are similar changers on the market that are as good for less. I'm not sure I agree with that.

I want to get a simple setup for now, but want a solid AV receiver and a CD/DVD changer that plays DVD-A and SACD (if possible..but can live without SACD), without spending too much. The Denon DVM-2815 plays DVD-A's and runs about $400.

Can anyone recommend similar changers or receivers?

I don't want to spend too much now on a CD/DVD changer, since HD-DVD is around the corner, but I want the changer and DVD-A capabilities and a good AV receiver......maybe planning for an upgrade to HT system in the next year or 2.

Thanks again.

CuriousG
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I had another question regarding the Integra players. For now I will be using the system as a stereo system mainly, but will eventually set it up to use in a HT setup. Since I wanted the capability to play DVD-A and SACDs, I was looking at the Integra DPC-8.5. However, am I going to run into a problem, since this will primariliy be a stereo setup for now and won't be connected to a TV? I wasn't sure if I would be able to setup the system properly b/c on the initial setup, you need the system connected to a TV to establish the initial settings?

Can I setup a 5.1 system (just to play SACDs and/or DVD-A's) without the using a TV for now? Or I am just better off sticking to a simple stereo setup and forego the DVD-A and SACD setup? Again, I want to eventually convert this system into a HT setup (which is why I want the capability to play SACDs and DVD-As), but I don't want to hook up the system to a TV for now.
Is this possible to setup the player this way without a TV/video device??

Thanks,

Bronze Member

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 37
You might want to post this question in the receivers/players section - might get a quicker response there.

Unregistered guest
What is the concensus on Orb vs. Bose. Which is better or worse? Any comments? Thanks.

Varit
Unregistered guest
I think it's indisputably Orb. Read this thread (including the archived parts) or any Bose thread. They sound better, look better and are cheaper. Bose you are paying for the name, advertising and layers of markups.

bargamon
Unregistered guest
Bose as a system is one thing. IT brings simplicity and integration.

Bose as a speaker system is appealing because the little cube disappear and it sounds nice.

Orb as a speaker system also blend in, but produces a much better sound for the money.

Bose has done a great job of marketing "the miricle" but there are many fine Sub-Sat systems that do much better. Orb is an excellent value for the money!

bargamon
Unregistered guest
Bose as a system is one thing. IT brings simplicity and integration with the Lifestyle module that combines amp, tuner, DVD, and controler.

Bose as a speakers only is appealing because the little cube disappear and it sounds nice.

Orb as a speakers only system also blend in, but produces a much better sound for the money. You use a standard reciever unit instead of a "Lifestyle" unit.

Bose has done a great job of marketing "the miracle" but there are many fine Sub-Sat systems that do much better. Orb is an excellent value for the money!

Many reviews and certainly the ones found here are very positive on the ORB.

Bose sells many systems in outlet mall stores to the masses. It has its place, but if your here researching, your likely to want more for your money.

Username: Noirluispher

I just purchased the MOD2 speaker system last week. And prior to last week I was considering BOSE ACOUSTIMASS 16s. But I am glad that I made the choice to go with ORB.

The main deciding factor was when I called them and as I was weaving through the "phone maze" I decided to hang-up. About 15 minutes later I get a call from "Gary". At that time Bose lost my business. When a company takes the time to call you back, that means they are still a "people" company and not a "Corporation".

Bargamon
Unregistered guest
Luis Spher,

I have had a few conversations with the Orb folks and they are very much a small company with hands on owners. For now. But we wish them success!

My experience has been they are low key and not trying to shove more balls down our throughts.

I came accross a Woofer deal I thought was great and wanted to know if they thought it would integrate with the orbs. INstead of trying to sell me the super 8, they complimented my choice and said it would be great!

Since I need a subwoofer for another system, I decided to get a super 8 and use it seperatly. Why, at $299 it was the same price as a Hsu or the new little LF-2 by outlaw, but decided all things being equal, I wanted to try this woofer and give these dudes my business.

I dig the direct model and "made in the USA". OR as much as possible. That too may change one day, but for now the balls are still a great value!

Try Outlaw Audio also. They are a direct model similar to Orb and get great reviews.

Anonymous

Can anyone provide some info on Orb Mod's vs. the Hsu Ventriloquist system? I've just started researching an entry-level system and know all about Hsu's subwoofers, and my uncle loves his orbs. He has Mod2's up front and Mod1's in the rear.
I want to set up something mostly for movies, but also for the occasional jazz cd in a really small room (12'x16'). I like the price of the Hsu system and from what I understand, I'll get a better sub which I can hold onto if I want to upgrade the other speakers later. Also, it seems to have gotten rave reviews. On the other hand, I don't want to get something at a good price that sacrifices loudness/richness. My uncle says his Orbs really sound good and are quite loud. Also, I can get this system in 7.1 rather than 6.1. Any comments would be appreciated!

Varit
Unregistered guest
I wouldn't discount the quality of the Orb sub...it's really nice. And there is no question the Orb satellites are more than a step up from the Hsu satellites. They definitely have a "bigger" sound whereas the Hsu are fine, but a bit more gimmicky.

Bronze Member
Username: 95bcwh

Post Number: 14
All,
I owned a Orb 5.1 People choice home theater speaker package for 10 months. I bought it when I lived in an apartment with limited space in my living room. It's the best sound I've heard for any system under $1200.
However, I have now moved into a big house with a big living room, the painting in my living room doesn't match my white-color Orb speakers, and I think I probably need bigger speakers to fill my room. Hence I am thinking of selling my Orb 5.1. If you guys want to get a great sound system in "LIKE NEW" condition, do send me a PM with your best offer. These speakers are well-built, they should last you forever. If I can't sell them, I will probably build a smaller room just for them, keeping them as antiques!!!

Barry
Houston, TX

Bronze Member

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 40
Barry, Post that "For Sale" over in the loudspeaker section too. There is a thread going right now by someone looking to buy an Orb system Also, post it on the AVS forum - good amount of Orb action right now.

Username: Mcthirstyone

Got the Orbs as a gift last weekend. I am totally in shock at the sound. They really are as good as people say they are, and they spent an HOUR on the phone w/ me helping me set up my receiver and DVD player and getting it to work w/ my TV (i.e. nothing to do w/ their speakers).

Bronze Member
Username: 95bcwh

Post Number: 16
Michael,
Welcome to the club!The Orbs sounded really nice.. especially in terms of music, I find that the sound is more neutral, smoother, tighter than Axiom Epic Midi 125 package.

HT experience wise, the Axiom rules. But I'm getting more Orbs satellites to make a few Orb Mod4 to see if it improves the HT experience.

My current system consists of "People Choice 5.1" driven by ARCAM AVR300.

Username: Mcthirstyone

I'm at least 50/50 on the music vs. HT, so music was a big part of my buying decision. I listened to a few things before taking the chance on the Orbs. To me, many sub/sat systems just sound awful for music, especially the compact ones. That is really what tipped the decision in favor of the Orbs for me, and I'm glad they lived up to all of the good things I had read prior to purchase. They have definitely changed my opinion about buying things on the internet, I'll tell you that much.

Post Number: 7
Beyond the sound, the great customer service of the Orbies makes the whole experience fantastic.

Bronze Member
Username: Willieman

PR USA

Post Number: 15

Username: Mcbry227

Anyone using the Denon 2807 w/ the Orbs? I think I might go for the upgrade. My receiver is old and I want to expand to 7.1 anyhow. And, now that I've had the Orbs for a month, let me just tip my hat again to Orb Audio. What sound!

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
The receiver is a great match. Love it. Takes a little more figuring out than most receivers, but it sounds great and has all the features you could ever want.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us