Dolby digital/DTS subwoofer problem

Unregistered guest
I have just purchased a Sony STR DE675 for 6 months now. I noticed that on switching to DTS 5.1, much of the bass disappeared. However, on setting up my center and surround speakers as small, I got bass from the subwoofer on DTS tracks. However, on returning back to Dolby Digital tracks, I now got excessive bass. Is it a problem with my subwoofer or what can I do to correct this?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 406
the best thing to do is redo the initial set-up. When calibrating the separate channels for Front Left, Center, Front Right, Surround Left, Surround Right and Subwoofer, you have to make your adjustments so that all the white noise being generated by the speakers are the same level. The best way to do this is by getting a noise/volume/spl meter.

When you put the speakers at "large" this signalled the receiver to send all frequencies to the speakers and cut out the subwoofer. So when you set the speakers to small, the receiver separated the higher frequencies just for the small speakers and the lower frequencies to the subwoofer or "LFE".

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 441
Timlo,

I have noticed the same difference between DTS and Dolby Digital as regards sub output. Your post tells me it is not my receiver, an NAD. I don't think it is a set-up problem, Berny. I would say the problem is the reverse of the one you ask, Timlo, and DTS gives the correct balance. The question is then "why is there excessive bass in Dolby Digital?"

I've never solved this, but I suspect many, though not all, DVDs with Dolby Digital 5.1 are mixed on the assumption that the listener either has no sub, or has a sub to complement all other speakers, which are small. So the sound engineers put the LFE ".1" material on both the LFE channel and the main channels, predicting the listener gets either, not both. But if you have large main speakers, you certainly do. That's how it sounds to me, and it's awful.

DTS, on the other hand, assumes you have full-range speakers all round, and uses the ".1" channel much more intelligently, for special effects. If you then choose the receiver setting "all speakers small" then you are making the sub work harder by sending it low frequencies intended for the other channels, but there is no duplication, so you still get a good balance across the frequency range.

Personally, I go for DTS every time. It is a better format, anyway, and it is usually much better mixed by the recording engineers.

This is my conclusion. But I'm not completely sure.

When I'd just got my sub I posted on this issue, and received some useful comments on the thread DTS vs. Dolby Digital. The subwoofer. Please see if it helps. I'd be interested to know what you find.

Silver Member

Post Number: 413
good call John A. Your posts are always informative. I was wrong to assume that it could have been a set up issue, rather than source (DTS vs. Dolby). I believe that DTS uses less compression on their audio data than dolby, hence the reproduction of sound is more dynamic.
cheers

Silver Member

Post Number: 446
Appreciated, Berny. But you know, I am still not sure about the answer.

My suggestion is that DD recording on many DVDs is pitched "down market" at all-in-one systems with small speakers. They also have to put the bass on the Left and Right channels, too, because many people want to play DD DVDs just in stereo. You can't do that with DTS, I think. So it could be there is just less compromise in the DTS track. DD is more "all things to all men".

This is good forum. It makes you think. And I, for one, find it important to know other people have the same problems, so it is not just me and my set-up.

So thanks to you and Timlo, too.

Dutchy
Unregistered guest
can someone help me? I have a JVC TH-M505 and the subwoofer turns on and turns right off immediately. I have had it now for a month or so and it was working fine.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1559
Is it on automatic remote turn on or is it manual?
If it is automatic, it is probably not detecting a signal from your receiver. Check the cables.

Dutchy
Unregistered guest
I turn it on with the remote to start a movie .... it comes on but immediately shuts off again.

race_man6
Unregistered guest
Dutchy, did you ever figure this problem out? I ran into this problem last night for the first time. It had been working great. Thanks.

Frank Netherlands
Unregistered guest
I am having the same problem with my NAD T741.
My fronts are quite small (Dali Royal Menuet II, 70 Hz (-3dB)) and playing in DTS mode, my sub almost produces no bass.
I cannot solve this problem.
In DD the sound is good to me.
Can it have to do with the crossover frequency or is this passed in DTS mode?
I cannot find any info on the crossover for my NAD.
Please help me getting the bass right when playing in DTS mode.
Friends of mine having an off the shelf standard satellite system do not have this problem (although I do not like their sound).

Gold Member

Post Number: 2816
Frank,

Consider whether it is the other way around, that is, DTS is giving good balance and DD has too much bass. So, If you adjust the sub gain for DD, the DTS bass will almost disappear.

Please take a look at my post above, "Monday, March 29, 2004 - 09:48 pm" and the thread linked there.

Best regards.

Bronze Member
Username: Shokhead

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 66
The sub,no matter if its DD or DTS is getting what you send to it at the x over. If its set to 80,then its 80 for both.

Frank from Netherlands
Unregistered guest
I found an article on the internet about the 10dB LFE boost with regard to DTS.
http://www.tagmclarenaudio.com/dev/news/news108.asp
Also NAD confirmed that my receiver (T741) has the chip encoded with a -10dB for DTS.
Playing a DTS movie and adjusting my sub-level with 10dB, I get the sound I am looking for. Annoying that I have to change back the sub-level every time I switch between DTS and DD.

Unregistered guest
I have the th-m505 and everything turns on except for the fan in the subwoofer, does anyone know if this fan is thermal switched by a heat sensor or if its supposed to be on all the time?

Username: 3805lonnie

Post Number: 2
I purchased the Denon 3805 and my subwoofer does not sound the same. I'm using a 5.1 set-up but somehow I lost the deep bass that I used to have. I'm using Boston Acoustics VR-40's for my fronts with a VR-12 center. and for my rears... CR8 bookshelves.
My subwoofer is a Kenwood SW-900. I set my speakers to small and at LFE for my subwoofer setting. I'm still getting used to all the settings this thing has but I'm missing something somewhere.
Also...It seems that this unit can go alot louder too because I can put the volume almost to maximum level and to me I shouldn't have to crank it that high especially if it's 120 WPC.
Any ideas on what the cause may be?

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 280
Lonnie,

When you ran the Denon through it's auto setup mode, it may have set the crossover at a 'stock' 80hz. You might want to experiment with a higher crossover. With your new receiver, you can manually adjust crossover to fit your tastes.

Also, with the new receivers, everything is adjustable. If you dont like the volume levels, most receivers have volume trims, and you can also boost channel levels manually if you so desire. These arent like old recievers that allowed you to crank it until the sound was pure distortion. Todays receivers are 'waaay' more advanced, and much more user-interactive than their early predecessors.

Keep tweaking, and learning your menu functions, and you'll get it exactly where you want. For me, that was the fun part. Once you see what these things can really do, it will make your old receiver look and sound primative by comparrison.

Username: 3805lonnie

Post Number: 3
Paul
Thanks for the reply...how can I adjust the volume trim on this 3805?
I've made alot of progress since I brought it home but I know I have to really experiment with the settings and all.
I do plan on getting another pair of rear surrounds. And my sub is actually a super woofer that I had for some time now but on my old pro-logic amp it sounded really nice.
Thanks again and I know I will be asking alot more questions...hope you don't mind

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 285
Lonnie,

I have a different receiver so Im not the denon expert. The 3805 was one that I looked at and Im fairly certain that I remember seeing trim settings. You might want to dig through your receiver OS menus and it should turn up. Heh...sorry I cant be more specific.

Silver Member
Username: Shokhead

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 115
Lonnie,push the CH Select enter button on the remoteand you can get to the sub from the osd and adjust level. Also,after you do auto setup if thats what you did,go back and check it the old way as i dont even use it anymore because its off.

Unregistered guest
I recently purchased a JVC home theater system. The problem I am having is, when I increase the volume, the subwoofer cuts itself off. I took it back for repair, it seemed that they fixed the problem, but after a week of usage, the problem reappeared.
Any suggestions?

Unregistered guest
Hi, I bought a JVC TH-M505 and the thing doesnt work properly. The DVD changer does not open and the sound that the sub produces sounds static and not clear. I want to know if anyone knows about how much it will cost to fix this problem? Thank you please email me if you have any comments.

Bronze Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 13
Lonnie

On the Denon 3805 channel volume is adjusted for each sound field (ex: stereo, 5 channel stereo, and Pro logic) by pressing the center cursor (select) button on the remote while on an input set to one of the above.

for instance if dvd is set to pro logic, and you are on dvd, by pressing the center select you can then adjust channel volumes for all sources set to pro logic.

if cd is set to 5 channel stereo and you are on cd, then you can press center select and adjust channel volumes for all sources set to 5 channel stereo... and so on and so forth.

Unregistered guest
1. set speakers to "small"
2. set sub mode to "lfe+main"
3. set x-over to 100hz
4. fine tune the subs x-over as (most are variable)
5. set levels on Denon to 0 db,
use a stereo cd (rock or country) to adjust sub level at the sub (try moving sub around room to get the most even sound)
6. now check in 7ch stereo (cd)
7. now play a movie in dd 5.1 and set the fronts and sub to 0 db, do a test tone and match center, rears and backs to same volume (use spl meter FBR)
8. now to tweek bass in DD mode, use the (surround parameter) button and adjust the DD lfe bass level.....this will not mess up your 7 ch bass!! now do the same with a dts dvd and adjust the lfe channel in the (surround parameter) this will give you a seperate bass seting for dts!!!

xploid
Unregistered guest
i got a new amp 500 watt amp and hooked up my sub and turned the truck on to play an song and nothing came from the sub not a sound whats up with that

Unregistered guest
Sony STR-K740P
I'm not technically minded and I've just been given the above AMP, I have wired everything up and connected my DVD by an optical digital cable, but no sound whatsover comes out the Sub-Woofer, if I touch the centre of the lead, the sub makes a noise so seems the speaker is okay. I've tried various set ups, I though it was something to do with the speaker size setting, but I cannot find how to change this, any ideas please?

Thank you

Richard66
Unregistered guest
Sony STR-K740P
I'm not getting anything out of my sub-woofer and reading the threads, it appears that I might have my speakers set as "large", but I have searched and searched but I cannot find a menu option to change them, even though the Sony manual makes reference to this fact (Small v Large), it is not clear how to change it, can anyone help?

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1347
This such an old question, and hears the real deal, your fronts if any should be the from the same manufacture and be of the same model, preferable they should be large, large enough to handle low frequencies that within some parts of the film mix frequencies extending downwards to 20Hz, but while most cinemas only extend down to around the 40Hz range, it is very doable in the home cinema arena.

Now granted that my JBL control 5 with a three-screen matching works very well, and there set to large, and with just filtering of the low end with an EQ for each of the three-screen array, this works without any problems what's so ever.

The cut of that I apply is 30Hz, at around --10db, this will prevent aggressive low frequencies, doing any damage.

Now with a little bit of mixing techniques, and installing an audio mixer, with low pass outputs been sent to the mixer, this is where I can see the signal strength in terms of db on the VU meters, and with three line inputs for the fronts left and right, centre, and split-surrounds, with LFE.1 been sent to one of the line inputs, balancing the low end frequencies for a more control and customized approach is a far less headache over what little control you can do with the "Bass Manager" on most AVR that are around.

If you what to know more ask just ask me.

Ashley

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1348
Oh vidkid

Post is just about on the money, although I take a different approach.

Bronze Member
Username: Stevizard

Indianapolis, Indiana USA

Post Number: 20
My Sherwood Newcastle P-965 Pre/Pro/Tuner allows me to adjust the LFE trim levels for Dolby, DTS, and Mpeg independently. That is, I can customize the subwoofer output for each one as I see fit. A great feature that every AVR should have.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us