Help needed - no DVD sound on Denon receiver

Username: Gschauer

Redmond, WA

Post Number: 1
Help! About a month ago I started losing sound through my Denon AVR-3300 receiver when playing DVD's. It was sporadic at first, now the problem is permanant. I can play CD's (from same DVD player) just fine, but just not DVD's

I was not sure if it was the DVD player, Denon receiver, or cabling so I did some troubleshooting. I had been using fiber optic for the digital audio, so I tried switching over to coax-digital. This also allow me to plug in another DVD player that had coax-digital only and not fiber option output.

After changing the settings on the receiver to get its DVD input from the coax-digital input and verifying the settings on the DVD's with no different results, I think I've narrowed it down to the Denon receiver.

All this background to ask 3 questions:

Is there anything else I should try with troubleshooting this problem?

Is this common problem with Denon receivers or this model?

Is this something that is worth spending the money to get fixed or should I start thinking about a new receiver?

Thanks in advance, Gary

P.S. I also use the Multi-source feature of this unit to feed sound to external speakers on my deck. This feature has always been limited to only certain inputs - e.g. tuner sound, but not CD's or VCR.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2341
Try using a different DVD player.
I haven't heard about this problem being common with Denon.
And, no, it is not worth spending the money to get it fixed.

Redmond, WA

Post Number: 2
Berny, Thanks - I already tried another DVD player - only difference was that it didn't have optical digital so I used coax digital instead.

I can get 2.0 sound to come out of standard component connectors by hooking it up to an auxilary input on the receiver, but that just doesn't cut it, as you can imagine.

Any more suggestions from others would be appreciated.

Unregistered guest
Help!

I have a Denon AVR1700 receiver.
After a power failure, the standby lite continuously flashes and I can't seen to get
the system to work.

After reset, when I try to use system, I hear a loud pop thru the speakers and the system shuts down.

Can anyone help solve the problem?

Thank you

Unregistered guest
Help!

I have a Denon AVR1700 receiver.
After a power failure, the standby lite continuously flashes and I can't seen to get
the system to work.

After reset, when I try to use system, I hear a loud pop thru the speakers and the system shuts down.

Can anyone help solve the problem?

Thank you

Bronze Member
Username: Shokhead

Lakewood, CA USA

Post Number: 12
Ask Denon. Maybe a fuse inside or you killed it.

Username: Aldzky

I have exactly the same problem and symptoms with my Denon AVR3300. Similarly, I've tried swapping and replugging my cables. When I switch to other functions such as DTS, the sound will be lost and it doesn't come back until I switch the receiver off and on for a long time. I suspect it's a stuck data bit.
Have you had it fixed yet?

Redmond, WA

Post Number: 3
No, I have not been able to solve this problem yet. I'm sure its something with the Denon AVR3300. It stopped working all together for quite a while, then suddenly started working again a few weeks ago, only to stop again a few days ago. I'm afraid to know how much it will cost to get it fixed.

Craig Weidner
Unregistered guest
I think I have the same problem with DVD sound. I have a Denon AVR483 receiver and a Denon DVD-900 DVD player. I don't know what is different between my model and yours but my system just stopped playing the audio from a DVD. It will play music CD's fine, but not video sound.

Username: Btzou

Post Number: 3
I have just found out that my previous optical cable stopped working for no reason, so I went to Fry's and bought a new one ($20, there are $70, too), then the problem went away. I think unlike copper cables, fiber optical cables are easier to fail. Also the holes on both ends must be kept clean, plug it up with those little square plugs when not used.

Unregistered guest
I have the same exact problem as Aldo has with my DENON AVR3300. It has been an off and on problem until today, when I resetted the processor. Now I get absolutely no sound from any of the sources: radio, CD, DVD, DirectTV, etc. I suspect I have a short circuit or something at the sound output. I will take it to an authorized service and will see what happens

Unregistered guest
Need help. I have a Denon AVR1705. My nephew hit some button on the remote and I can't get any sound on TV stations, HD or regular. Anybody out there have any ideas. Note, I am amazingly stupid around electronic equipment.

Unregistered guest
I have a new Denon receiver hooked up to a Sony Cd/DVD player. Every once in a while the sound starts creeping up to the max almost blowing us out of our house. Does anyone know what could cause this?

Unregistered guest
Help! Sound like I have the same problem with my Denon 3300. Sound cuts out and sometimes comes on after being off and sometimes it does not. Not sure how to reset. From what I have read this is a common occurance? Any suggestions or adivice would be appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 67
Wow, so many Denon problems.

Chomo you definitley got hit by a surge when your power came back on, refer to factory authorized dealer for repair.

Gary... it Sounds like your problem is the Firmware of the 3300 is not up to decoding the latest codecs being used on newer DvD's Try playing a old dvd, something you bought a long time ago on it and see if it plays.

If this is the case a factory authorized repairer may be able to update your firmware for little or no charge.

JMR08, Is there any additional information you can supply regarding the cut in and out of the sound?

for instance happens when receiver has been powered on for awhile, certain lights cut on or off when it happens, receiver blinks a message or looses info on the face, anything that might occur at the moment that the sound cuts in or out or any trends that the occurance seems to follow?

Only happens when i plug the microwave into my amp... anything.

Would help in more accurately figuring out whats going on in there.

JMR08
Unregistered guest
Michael,

Thank you very much for your response. I am still learning the sytems since it came with the house but this is what I know so far.

Sound on the "Front" speakers go out after a couple of hours of use while I still get sound from the "surround" speakers. I have checked the fuses and all the connections and have found no issues. There are times when the sound will not go on from a cold start. Power to this unit is connected to an isolated power supply with surge protection.

There is a clicking noise coming from the unit when this occurs.

Thanks Again

Unregistered guest
I have a Denon 3300 AVR and it has just begun to cut out the sound from all of the components. It began a week ago and it took some playing around with the unit, remote and manual to get the sound back. (Noot sure how it came back) When I shut the unit off, the next time I turn it on there is no sound. It happened again today, the sound came back after about 20 minutes, but then I shut it off. Now it hasn't worked at all. Any suggestions or ideas.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
JMR08 The clink sound you describe and the problem in itself sounds a lot like a protection circuit being enguaged on the receiver.

This can be caused by a variety of problems from cabeling to the speakers, to the amp itself.

First turn the receiver off, disconnect all speakers from the Amp, put the amp into 5 Channel Stereo mode on tuner, (radio) and set it to a station and turn the volume up to -40.

Let it run, powering no speakers for about 4 hours and then turn the volume to zero, rehook the speakers and turn the volume up just enough to hear if all channels are still playing.

If they are you likley have a bad cable or voice coil in a speaker which is creating a short when sufficiently warm.

If not then the problem is likely a faulty circuit in the amp.

John_McLynn:

Thats an odd situation, the more so because sound is coming back without resetting the receiver.

But there are several similar reports on this page which makes me think there may be a known issue.

Tomorrow I'll call the dealer tech line and see if there are any known issues regarding the 3300 and see what they have to say about it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
Didn't have time today guys, got suddenly sent out to the sticks with no cell service. havent forgotten you though.

Buffaloaf
Unregistered guest
Hi everyone,

I have a Denon AVR-3300 that began acting exactly as mentioned above.

I have it attached to my computer via a fiber optic cable. It stopped working one day, after playing with settings I realized there must be some problem. I then walked away and left it on in that state and all of a sudden it started to work again after about 10 minutes.

The problem only got worse after that, just not outputting sound at all.

The problem is existent with the radio tuner as well as the DVD input I was using. The problem was not a speaker problem because i disconnected all speakers except one and the problem did not go away.

I tried resetting the processor but that didn't work.

One thing to note is that this problem arose soon after a bought a new cabinet that lacks in air circulation. I thought that perhaps the thermal protection kicked in, but there were no visual alerts via the display and the problem did not go away when I cooled the unit down.

I saw a post above about a firmware issue. Is this something that is common with Denon? And has anyone had any success with this?

Someone mentioned a stuck bit, is it possible that the processors have been cooked?

Michael, any word on the known issues with the 3300?

Many thanks in advance,
Luke

Username: Tommy_c

Tampa, FL USA

WOW...I should have found this forum a year ago! In my closet is a Denon 3300. Sound from the right channel goes out spuraticaly. If I crank the volume up, the speaker comes back. Lower the volume, and the speaker will either stay on or cut out. Its hit or miss, and its only the right front. (yes Ive swapped speakers, its definately the amp) All external connections are solid. Any ideas? I'd really love to put this baby back to use.

thanks

Unregistered guest
I'm having the same problems with my AVR3300, I can usually get it to work by pressing the mute button several times. Give it a shot guys. I am trying to track down a copy of the service manual.

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 29
Kraig,

Please keep us updated here!! I know that the cost to have it looked at by a pro would not justify it's value. Ill bet that there is a common part that is acting up. Has anyone repaired / had repaired the unit? what was the fix? I'm not knowledgeable enough to diagnose it, but am able to re solder/replace a part if it seems to be the culprit. Thanks!

The Polish Prince
Unregistered guest
I had a similar issue with my 3300. It turned out to be a chip that had to be resoldered by a trusted service center. It started out as not being able to get a lock on Dolby Digital or DTS encoded signal. I worked around this by employing the 6 channel input on the Denon from a suitable DVD player. (With decoder) A processor reset didn't help. Then the issue spread to overall output. I'd turn the unit on and sometimes wait 10 minutes for it to output sound, sometimes not at all. Both issues were resolved by resoldering a chip. I noticed the cooling fan makes funny noises. Perhaps this unit's is in question.
Good Luck with yours. This unit is certainly worth such a small repair. I'm happy to have gotten mine fixed.

Username: D_singh

This is definitely a wide-spread problem. If your receivers are still under warranty Denon should be able to repair it or even give you a new one all together. Even still, this is a problem that should have required a recall of some sort as this is most probably an design issue. I hope the issue got fixed as I own a Denon AVR-3805. So far, no problems.

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 32
warantee...I wish! I have abandoned Denon products in favor of Harmon Kardon. Quick 1-2...As soon as I bought this receiver, the Volume problem became apparent. Denon told me that the merchant I bought it from was not an authorized dealer (ubid..sold HUNDREDS..as new!) Therefore, they would not fix it. I hardly got any use out of it. Last year, I had an Infinity Interlude subwoofer take a crap. I called Infinity (Harmon audio), to troubleshoot. They asked me if it was convienent to take it to a service center and have it repaired at THIER expense! The sub was out of warantee as well. Anyway, it was repaired in 2 days. Guess what my last purchace was? a Harmon Kardon AVR-630; it looks cool and sounds terrific! Denon, take notice...

BIG JOEY
Unregistered guest
WOW SOUNDS LIKE DENON IS A PIECE OF S***!!!!!!!!!
TRY BUYING OR STEALING A BETTER CD OR DVD PLAYER LIKE KENWOOD,SONY OR YAMAHA,I HAD A PROBLEM LIKE THIS ON A OLD REALALISTIC RECIEVER THE SOUND WOULD TURN UP AND DOWN ALOT AND IT WOULD TURN THE SYSTEM OFF ALL BUY ITSELF,AFTER A FEW HOURS OF TROUBLE SHOOTING I CAME TO THE CONCLUSION IT WAS A GHOST,,,,,,AFTER HAVING A PRIEST DO A EXORCISIM WHALA,,,,NO MORE CRAZY RECIEVER PROBLEMS...

Luke M
Unregistered guest
I have the whistling fan problem that seems to be very common with the Denon AVR-3300. Based on what I've read on this forum, I can expect to have other problems as well. I'm about ready to bail on this thing and buy something new (won't be a Denon) but I thought I'd take a shot at replacing the fan myself. Anyone know where I can get instructions for doing this?

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 38
replacing a fan shouldnt require any instructions...pull it out, take it to an electronics store, match it up, and put the new one in. If the fan wasnt working, but bench tested ok, than you may have a problem!

Bronze Member

Tampa, FL USA

Post Number: 39
pull the fan, match it up, and replace...

Username: Neeldas

Chandler, AZ US

My Denon AVR 3300 went entirely silent during a party, for which we had it driving our PSB stratus gold front and stratus mini surrounds, pretty much at full volume, for about 4hrs.

Stupid, I know now, but anyway, I took it in to an authorized repair center. They tell me I blew the power transformer, and that it'll cost $330 to fix it!

I went to http://www.partstore.com/ and I can see that the AVR3300's transformer is listed around $175.

My questions: is it really the power transformer? Also, do you think the preamp would still be functional and if so, can I just hook up a power amp to the Denon?

I appreciate your responses.

PS: we will probably have more parties, so 'high-volume-music' will happen again. This time I want to plan ahead :-)
-Neel

Shage111
Unregistered guest
I have a Denon AVR 3300 which doesnt seem to like it when I switch to Dolby/DtS Surround. This problem exists for both old and new DVDs. When i am in this mode the sound cuts in and out... a bump bump bump sound is made, but then i will switch to stereo and the sound comes through fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MackDan
Unregistered guest
Another bad AVR-3300 here.Fan tests good but never comes on.I believe most all the problems are originating from too much heat,just a poorly designed unit.Waiting on email from Denon for some info on this $1000 boat anchor.

Per-Arne Ekfeldt
Unregistered guest
My AVR-3300 is also getting really bad. It's making so much noise when I'm using the Db/DTS or DSP sim modes. The only mode that sounds fine is Direct mode. Any one else with the same problem?

- Per-Arne

Reinhart
Unregistered guest
Denon typically makes good receivers. Sometimes, however, they do make lemons. For instance, their AVR-3805 is actually a very fine and highly regarded receiver.

As for cold solder joints, that does happen. If the manufacturing doesn't allow enough solder to be used on the joints in any of the boards, then those joints are more susceptible to cracking from normal thermal expansion (warm) and contraction (cool) when the receiver warms up when used and cools down when turned off. But, bad solder joints can still happen with joints that are properly made. It's just that it takes longer for a proper joint to crack from thermal expansion and contraction. Whenever there's a warm up and cool down involved, the joints will eventually crack (and this is a common problem with television sets usually after five years).

In regards to the fan, this problem is likely due to how the fan is implemented. Most receivers spin the fan only when the power load on the amplifier section is sufficient to spin it, as opposed to the actual heat level.

As for warranty, it is VERY important to purchase items like this from an authorized dealer in order to have the warranty coverage. This isn't exclusive to Denon as it's also something that's done with many other hi-fi manufacturers from both mainstream and specialty companies. Sony ES, for instance, has a 5 year warranty, but it's null and void if the sale was from an establishment that wasn't authorized to deal with Sony ES.

Of course, Denon isn't perfect with everything. Their CD players were either loved or hated with passion. They play good when they work, but they were known to develop various mechanical failures. Of course, that's CD players; the subject is receivers.

Here's a hyperlink which shows the insides of the AVR-3300:

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/blowing/denon3300/

It's still not a bad receiver overall when compared to this:

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/blowing/kenwood-x9992d/index.html

But, this particular example (and a boost to those who like Harman/Kardon) is one way to design an EXCELLENT receiver:

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/blowing/harman-kardon-avr200/index.html

- Reinhart

Unregistered guest
I am another Denon 3300 owner with sporatic problems of the sound cutting out. I have my DVD player hooked up to the optical inputs and can watch a movie for about 30 minutes, and then the digital input lights flicker and the sound crackles and goes out. If I turn the receiver off for a while, it usually comes back on fine. No fix yet. Otherwise, I have really enjoyed this receiver.

vidkid
Unregistered guest
If you have a newer Denon DVD player with 5.1 analog outputs you can hookup the dvd to the external inputs of the 3300 and get a better sound.....the dvd player has much better d/a converters and bass management and the 3300 has a great 8 channel analog input that is very transparent no a/d and back to d/a like the newer stuff.....you may get a few more years out of a receiver that is already about 6years old....

Denon_Demon
Unregistered guest
I have the same problem in my AVR-3300 that has always been connected via a surge protector. NO sound when turned on. Sometimes the sound comes on in 2-20 minutes. Sometimes I had to give up. This is getting progressively worser. But one difference is when the sound does come up, it always stayed that way. It never goes off..i.e. upto 2 hours ..the max I listen/view. It sucks to know this investment failing after 6 years.

Bronze Member
Username: Sethmckiness

Des Moines

Post Number: 19
i am currently testing a known bad 3300, I hooked it up on saturday and no output for a normal digital dignal over coaxial. I kicked digital signal down to 48khz and pcm.. seems to work fine. this unit sat on the bench of the shop I work for over a year. simply put with the blue book value of the reciever I don't see it being worth the repair compared to what you can buy new now.. but if I can string it together it may work.

Does anyone have any idea on why the DAC is being picky?

It may need a firmware upgrade, and in general most Denon equipment is High Quality gear. I hate their menus compared to Marantz, but it has decent mid-fi audio quality.

Bronze Member
Username: Sethmckiness

Des Moines

Post Number: 20
i am currently testing a known bad 3300, I hooked it up on saturday and no output for a normal digital dignal over coaxial. I kicked digital signal down to 48khz and pcm.. seems to work fine. this unit sat on the bench of the shop I work for over a year. simply put with the blue book value of the reciever I don't see it being worth the repair compared to what you can buy new now.. but if I can string it together it may work.

Does anyone have any idea on why the DAC is being picky? It also seems to sound poor. My Parasound CD players DAC drasticly outperforms it and it is not exactly anything superspecial!

It may need a firmware upgrade, and in general most Denon equipment is High Quality gear. I hate their menus compared to Marantz, but it has decent mid-fi audio quality.

truckin02
Unregistered guest
i have a denon receiver that is on its 3rd breakdown. i thought when i bought this pile it was a quality product.. is denon not as good as i was told..

northport
Unregistered guest
Glad I found this post. I too have a AVR3300 bought in Jan 2000. It just died on me this Christmas. First the DVD connection worked off and on then CD connection then everything doesnt work. I have never heard the fan run so I don't know if it every worked. But I alwyas felt that heat was a factor. I have about 2" clearance above it but i wish I had left more or added a fan.

Well, $1,300 CDN divided by 5 years is $260 a year or $21.60 a month to rent this puppy. I guess its time for a 7.1 model.

But I had bought this 3300 because it was capable of expanding to 8 channel. Funny thing is, i still cannot figure our how to do it! lol and I have read the manuel over and over and over again!

It has been a great reciever up to this point. In the old days people kept their steros for a million years. But with sound technology changing so rapidly I dont know if its worth repairing old technology anymore!

Sad to lose a good friend! We spent many a pleasant DVD together! *Sob* Boo hoo!

Cheers

Dan1863
Unregistered guest
My AVR1709 is in the shop right now and came back no trouble found. I'm really pretty upset about it. I had a Kenwood receiver (still in my garage 8 years later) that wasn't the greatest but it worked and still works. I needed component inputs so I upgraded for the HD DVD and Satellite and everything I heard from anyone in the stores was that Denon is the best to buy. I bought a midrange AVR 1709 because I can't afford the top of the line.

It worked GREAT for about 2 1/2 months. Now, with the same speakers and DVD player the receiver turns off and flashes red around the power button. When I called Denon they said it sounded like power and to take it in to a service center for repair. It's 3 days later and I get a call back No Trouble Found.

I'm a little upset about this and if anyone has a clue as to how it could be my issue, then I'd be happy to troubleshoot.

Denon_sucks
Unregistered guest
Same problem. I just had to cut and paste Denon_Demon's version as mine was the same for a couple of months until it died completely. To make it more annoying wife taunts me for buying expensive system that crapped on me.

>>I have the same problem in my AVR-3300 that has always been connected via a surge protector. NO sound when turned on. Sometimes the sound comes on in 2-20 minutes. Sometimes I had to give up. This is getting progressively worser. But one difference is when the sound does come up, it always stayed that way. It never goes off..i.e. upto 2 hours ..the max I listen/view. It sucks to know this investment failing after 6 years.<<

Username: Odomingo

San Francisco, CA USA

I have similar problems with my Denon AVR-3300. I have a US PS2, Japanese PS2, and a Xbox, and whenever I try to play DD 5.1 DVD on any of these devices, I get no sound at all. I can still play PS2 games since they are mostly stereo [not DD 5.1], but the Xbox sound is gone both in game and DVDs.

I will take the unit to an authorized service center this weekend. The inspection costs me $40, and a week later someone will tell me what the problem is and how much it will cost me. The $40 will then be applied to the total cost of the repair, but if it cost more than, say $300, then I will not repair the unit and save some money for a new one.
I was looking at other makers, but none of them offer me the same inputs as the denon brand. So I will stick with denon one more time.

By the way, I did have a DVD player hooked to 3300 receiver via coax, and it did too stop the sound. All other devices are connected via optical inputs.

I believe my unit is about 6 years old.

I will post here again when I find out what's happening to my unit.

Username: Odomingo

San Francisco, CA USA

I cannot believe that a product so expensive goes bad so soon.

Shouldn't all electronics last almost forever?

Too bad I cannot find another brand name receiver with as many audio digital optical inputs and component inputs as my 3300 or the new 3805 model. If it costs too much above $300, I will wait until christmas to buy 3805, which can be had for about $900 at bestbuy locally.

Username: Kd4zne

POMPANO BEACH, FL U.S.

I am electronics repair technician. I have been reading through every post on this page regarding the Denon AVR-3300. This is a common problem with the Audio/DSP Unit. The part number is: 1U-3215. The price of this part is $504.62. However, usually this board can be repaired by either resoldering and/or replacing one of the D.S.P. integrated circuits on the board. Almost every surround sound receiver develops problems with the D.S.P. circuitry over time.

Username: Jbh1970

Houston, Texas USA

I have a Denon 4802r and we had a power surge today. The sound works but, everyone sounds like they have a cold. Very muffled. The other day it sounded like playing an LP backwards. I hear all audio but it does not sound right. Any suggestions? Can I "REBOOT" the receiver? Thanks.

Username: Stoni

I have a denon AVR1700, a few weeks ago i tried to connected the computer while it was switched on. . Now the center is FR while C and FL are mute SR and SL are OK. When I test the connections, it is all in order but the Quality on the sond is miserabel. I also remarked, the powerunit get very warm.
Now i need a help for troubleshooting unless I shall buy another receiver from pionier

Username: Stoni

To Joe
for a reset exit the power, press the mode stereo and surround taste on your receiver and switsh on the Power

Username: Hmtheater1o1

I have two Demon aka Denon recievers both are AVR 3300's one is for parts. As I have had to repair my one about 11 times in 4 and half years. I replaced my denon this year with a Yamaha RX-V2600 and I have never been happier!
here is the link http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=200003&CTID=5000300
This reciever is ten times maybe even twenty times the reciever that my denon was both in sound quality and craftsmanship! I will never buy another brand of reciever Yamaha all the way ! Oh and for all of you trying to figure out what is wrong with your denon 3300 and the sound output it is part no# 1u-3215 $504.62 you can get this from partstore.com plus shipping of course. Let me tell you though it is no easy task to replace this processor board!

Username: Wasthere

i have a denon avr3300. it has been sitting in the same cabinet for six years i have a masonite board in back with a 4 inch fan mounted to it. fan pulls air in front out the back . it was installed the same day as the denon. i have never seen a glitch of any kind in six and a half years. remember this the more power the warmer they run. the cooler you keep them the longer they last.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us