Mustang/HD2 dlp technology vs. old DLP tech...

Username: Gatremag

Post Number: 1
Why is the new RCA the only DLP tv out right now that has the new Mustang chip in it? I want to know why it is good, if it is better, and where I can actulally get one and get some info about it. I want to know if it's worth the hype.
I want to buy the best DLP on the market regardless of size. But it must be a TV, not a front projection. What TV should I get and how should I get it. I have my eye on the 43 incher at Best Buy... and comments????

ladytron
Unregistered guest
they look nice, but i would actually wait until the dlp 3 chip (xHD3) comes out, it was shown at ces and could be out within a year, it's the only dlp chip made display at 1080p in tv sets, i think some front projectors are displaying at 1080p with the mustang chip. also, the dlp 3 chip has fixed the problems of the dlp 1 & 2 chip. in fact, i would try to avoid buying any tv that doesn't display at 1080p, the next generation of dvd players, blu-ray will display at 1080p and eventually most broadcasters will be broadcasting at 1080p despite the current hurdles. i would buy something that will last 5-10 years and be able to display the highest resolution available - none of the tv's being sold now display at 1080p and will be obsolete within 1 year. this link mentions the new dlp chip

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=Sto ryFT&cid=1073281083908

good luck

ladytron
Unregistered guest
another good link - it mentions hd3(lower-end) and xhd3(higher-end).

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1433482,00.asp

Username: Emkmd

Post Number: 14
Ladytron,
1080p will not become the standard for a while. As far as DVDs go, it will be years before the current format is upgraded. People just bought their $69 DVD players for christmas, and people have libraries of DVDs in the current format. Your statement "none of the tv's being sold now display at 1080p and will be obsolete within 1 year" is a bit off. Stations are just starting to broadcast in HD, fox is only in 480p. They will not start broadcasing 1080p signals any time soon. If somone is in the market for an HDTV right now they will be safe with a 720p or 1080i set for some time. Just my 2 cents.
-E

Anonymous

isn't the HD-2 dlp chip in the newest samsung tvs also the "Mustang"?...or is there some newer Mustang chip that i'm not aware of?

Unregistered guest
Actually, 1080p is not even an excepted specification. Only 1080i and 720p have been accepted. It will be several YEARS before DVDs are released with 1080p. BLU-Ray is only good for 1080i. Go to www.widescreenreview.com and do some homework.

A4BB
Unregistered guest
There is a new HD-2+ chip just coming on line, introduced at the CEDIA show in Sept. Better color and higher contrast ratio, up to 5500 to 1 on the Sharp projector.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us