Toshiba SD-5970 DVD player w/hdmi output

Mr. Lynch
Unregistered guest
Has anyone seen one of these? I bought one but haven't opened it yet. I'm wondering how it compares to other upscaling DVD players. Is this the only player with HDMI output at the moment?

Username: El_matador

Hamilton, On Canada

Post Number: 5
i am curious too, i bought the samsung and i am not pleased. how is your toshiba i was thinking of returning mine and buying that instead (i would need an adapter from hdmi to DVI)

Luckydog
Unregistered guest
I just ordered it and will receive it on Friday.
My DLP has an HDMI jack, so I cant wait to see the picture using this jack. I too ordered the Samsung but returned it due to quality issues.
I love my samsung DLP TV but have yet to find a Samsung DVD player that didn't have problems. That's why I'm not going to try the Samsung DVDHD941 .... We'll see how it goes with the Toshiba.

Jimbo in Dallas
Unregistered guest
I just picked up one last night. I will try to get it up and running tonight. I went to Best Buy to get the Samsung DVD-HD841 even though I heard it had complicated DVI set-up and poor instructions. The salesman told me they had been getting half of them returned by disgruntled customers and he directed me to the brand new Toshiba SD-5970.

Jimbo in Dallas
Unregistered guest
Damn, I just found this posted on Toshiba's website:

"The Toshiba SD-5960 DVD Player is one of the first DVD players on the market featuring the next-generation High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI). Unfortunately, recent testing of the SD-5960 with several manufacturers' HDMI receivers revealed inconsistent HDMI performance.

Because Toshiba is committed to quality, and because we are not satisfied with the performance of the SD-5960, we are offering you the opportunity to return your SD-5960 DVD player to Toshiba in exchange for a full refund of your purchase price. Please call 1-800-631-3811 for details on how to arrange for the return of your SD-5960 and a full refund."

Jimbo in Dallas
Unregistered guest
Sorry Guys -- I gave misleading info. I just called Toshiba and found out that the SD-5960 has the problem and has been replaced with the SD-5970. So we should be good to go.

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 21
I've had my SD-5970 for over 2 weeks now. I have it hooked up to my JVC 52" D-ila using the HDMI cable that was included with the DVD player. My first comment on the PQ is OUTSTANDING! I have had no problems with any type of discs. I have quite a few home movie DVD-Rs and they look fantastic using this player. No studdering, skipping or freezing that I have expirienced with my old cheapo DVD player. My only complaint would be that I have to adjust the output to 720p everytime I use it. I wish it would remember the setting, but I have not messed with the menus to much yet. We watch 2 0r 3 movies a week (I love netflix) and I have yet to expirience any incompatibility problems like I have read the Samsung 841/941 have. I would highly recommend this DVD player. It retails for $250, but I found it at Video Only in Seattle with a $199 floor price and I ended up getting it for $180 after some haggling. I also really love the fact it includes the cable (HDMI to HDMI). Thats saves a nice chunk of money right there.

Johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
Well I got the SD-5970 last night and so far I'm really impressed. Virtually no setup at all.
All I had to do was flip the switch on the front to HDMI set tv size to 16:9 and was all set.
I'll check for anything else that need tweaking tonight. One other thing I like over the Sammy DVDHD841 that I returned, the Toshiba remembers the resolution I want. In my case 720p.
The unit is small and hopefully up to par in quality, what I mean is it's really light and the back is plastic. But so far the picture and sound are amazing. Just remember to set the brightness & color settings etc. on the TV . Factory settings are always set to high. Enjot

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 29
Johnnytv2004-

Was there a setting in the Menu that will have the player default to 720p? I notice that with mine I have to hit the HDMI button on the remote everytime I put a new movie in to get it to change to 720p. That's going by what it says on the screen. If you continue to hit the button it switches to 1080i, then to 480i. Maybe I should dig out the manual and actually read it. I was excited to hook it up and once i got it working I watched a movie and haven't got around to messing with it.

JohnnyTV2004
Unregistered guest
Mr. Lynch
Everytime I switch movies and hit info it says 1280x720. I turned it off then back on and it's holding 720p. I set it up using the manuel and it's working great so far.

person
Unregistered guest
i was testing this player out at best buy today, seems pretty good to me, much better than that junky samsung hd 841, but something no one has mentioned that i noticed is that the player can upconvert to 1024p which is pretty cool. has anyone used this setting on a TV that supports it? and for my knowledge, what TVs will support 1024p? thanks

Username: Swanny55

Post Number: 1
Bought the Toshiba 34 inch wide screen couple of weeks ago, Had and older toshiba dvd player. Everything worked fine. Bought the sd-5970 the picture is even better with the HDMI but now every 4 or 5 minutes the screen goes black for 3or 4 seconds. I have both the tv and the dvd set to 1080i, called Toshiba but they don't know what the problem is,going to return it today for another one maybe it was the player.

TK
Unregistered guest
For those that have this DVD player.. could you please tell me if you can "zoom out" or "underscan" the video? I currently have a Toshiba SD-4700 and I love to underscan so that I can view the "full" image. I have yet to find another player that allows me to "zoom out" without leaving some message on the screen.

I'm considering the SD-5970, but being able to "zoom out" without a message being left on screen is required

THANKS!!!

optimist2
Unregistered guest
unlock code for code-free region

does anyone know how to unlock the code for this dvd player? I just ordered it from amazon.com

thank you in advance

optimist2

TK
Unregistered guest
hey... optimist2... or anyone else, lol...

when you get your player, would you please post back here and answer my question?

Thanks!!!

TK.

TK
Unregistered guest
Must be a tough question. :|

johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
TK..

If this player can ZOOM out, I have yet to find how to use this feature... The manuel says nothing so I'm guessing its a BIG NO on the zoom out feature. Still this is an awesome DVD player.
The images that appear on my DLP are mind blowing from a DVD source. LOEG was awesome

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 32
I have not seen a zoom out feature either. I don't think I 've ever even heard of a zoom out. I did notice that if I switch the HDMI from 720p to 480p, it shrinks the picture quite a bit. When watching Star Wars:AOTC the black bars were about 1/2 wide in 720p and about 3 to 4 inches wide in 480p. I'm not sure why it is, but that was the only thing I have seen that might resemble a "zoom out". I'd agree with "Jonnytv2004" on the PQ. It is absolutely amazing on my JVC Dila.

TK
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the replies... I trust that the PQ is good. We're looking at picking up a DLP with HDMI and I like my current Toshiba, so I took notice of the SD-5970 due to the HDMI.

I find it strange that with an older model (SD-4700) I can triple tap the zoom button and the picture zooms back so that I can cure any and all overscan issues with any DVD... but it's very hard to find this "feature"???

I did find a 7-disc changer that did this zoom out stuff, but it's from another brand and the it didn't have any extra features that make me want to buy it.

With the SD-4700, I can zoom out and make the image crazy small (I'd say shink it to about 25% of the original).... but I only ever go out just enough to eliminate the overscan and see the "full view".

It's almost like doing "widescreen with widescreen"...
from 4:3 to 16x9 you get like another 20%... when I "underscan" I get another 3%-8% added onto the 20%... you miss a lot with overscan.

huh... I'll have to rethink the SD-5970 if that's the case. :-(

TK.

TK
Unregistered guest
I just have to say it again...

it's beyond me why they'd have this feature in the SD-4700, but remove it in newer players... it can't be that hard to "zoom out" if you'd already got a player that "zooms in".

boohoo.. I want a new player, but my trusty SD-4700 still beats a lot of the new players.

Username: Teknomedic

Post Number: 2
I'm TK reborn... just a heads up that TK = Teknomedic... same person, lol.

johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
TK, we love our Sammy DLP. It was a toss up between that and the SONY GWIII . The GWIV is out now and I still like the DLP better.
I have the toshiba player hooked into HDMI and my HD cable hooked into DVI and that leaves component connections free form my VOOM receiver and PS2. Plenty of jacks on the Sammy DLP. PS get the 50' HLP5063W wink wink : )

Jimbo in Dallas
Unregistered guest
I have my SD-5970 hooked up and running now. What an awesome improvement in DVD picture quality delivered to my Samsung DLP! The HDMI cable connect does its digital job. This thing is very easy to set up, change settings, etc., unlike the horror stories I hear on the Samsung DVD-HD841. I've had no problems with it retaining its settings. Slim, sleek design, and well worth the $179 at BB.

Post Number: 3
The Sammy DLP is about 3rd on our list... right now we're mainly looking at the following:

RCA - 50in
Scenium (HD50LPW162)
$2999

Mitsubishi - 62in
WD-62525
$4499

Any thoughts on those TVs??... We'd be buying from BB and also be getting 12% off either one, plus a $200-$400 gift card, and no intrest till at least March 2006 and Reward Zone Points too. lol.

I do like that DVD player... but I've been spoiled by my "zoom out" feature... it's hard to go back once you've had that option. Although I'm still considering it for the HDMI alone. :-)

Thanks for any input!

TK.

oldschool
Unregistered guest
My SD-5970 is hooked up to a JVC 52" D-ila using an HDMI cable. The PQ is pretty good but I can't get it
to display in the correct aspect when playing widescreen dvds. On the SD-5970, I set the video size to 16x9 widescreen and on the JVC d-ila I have tried all the aspects --- full, cinema, and panorama to no avail.
Any suggestions will be apprectaed.
Thanks.

johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
TK, Seriously think about the RCA. I know two people who returned them. For some reason the picture is not even close to brands other DLP's
The chips may be made by TI, but I think it's the different light engines MFR's use to drive the TV's
I got my Sammy @ CC 50" for 2999.99. It was being price matched @ 3299.99 and got a 300.00 rebate. I heard the NEW Toshiba DLP's are amazing. My cousin got one from Crutchfield, I'm gonna go see his this weekend. He asked me to bring my SD-5970 lol

Post Number: 4
lol... where was your post before?... we got the RCA last night along with the SD-5970... although the DVD player is fudged and I have return it after work. The TV looks great (my second HDTV) so I'm unsure what could be wrong with the PQ... the picture is bright and I don't see a problem with blacks or contrast.

I haven't had the time to try other sources yet though... just the HDMI... on a broken DVD player.

TK

johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
Maybe RCA has gotten it right by now, I know their main reason for returning was "TRUE HD"
Things shot with HD cameras like Discovery HD Theater. Didn't have that BANG to them. Shows like CSI etc looked fine. DVD's awesome. It was the other stuff they didnt like. Good Luck with it

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 40
I would have to agree with a lot of what Jonnytv2004 said. I looked at the RCAs when I was shopping around and I thought the picture was good, but just not as crisp as some other sets I saw. Part of the problem was due to an issue addressed in a press release I found from RCA. It stated:
"The RCA Scenium DLP products do not accept a 720p resolution and must convert to 960x540p." Alot of HD broadcast are in 720p, so you lose out on some quality. I found this odd since the native resolution on the set is 720p. I also know they fix the problem with the newest models you hopefully you did not get an older model with this issue.
Either way I'm pretty sure you get an outstanding picture and you sound very happy with it. Bottom line is it all comes down to what you think, and not what other people have to say. I hope you enjoy your new toy!

As it turns out... I'm still not sure. After the DVD player exchange, I have the same issues. So now it's either the TV or a "combo" issue. I'm considering returning the TV, but I'm going to head to BB and run a few tests on their display model. I'm considering a Samsung, but from what I know it uses the HD3 and not the HD2+... any thoughts?

Thanks.

Post Number: 6
**Update**

OK... turns out the RCA was the real problem. We took the DVD player to BB and tried it on the display model... SAME PROBLEM... basically, when we tried to use the SD-5970 in HDMI it would "crap out" (wild static, blank screens, unusable signal, etc)... we then tried a Samsung with DVI to HDMI cord... same problem. We then tried these players on the Mitsubishi 52525... ZERO problems....

long story short... we returned the RCA and exchanged for the Mits. (($3999.99 with 12% off, $300 gift card, 24mo zero finance)). I also returned the DVD player for now to help cover the "upgraded" cost of the Mits.

Any thoughts... lol... I trust me, I don't this often. :-)

Johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
TK, That Mitsu is getting good reviews.
I struggled with my decision on the HD3 vs. HD2+ thing. I spent over two hours @ CC the minute they opened so I wqas pretty much there alone. I was only comparing HD3 vs. HD2+ Sammy sets. Changed all the setting on both and didn't see a difference between the two. I'm not a huge RP LCD fan but my brother just got the Sony KDF-50WE655.
Thats the new model.. WOW that is a nice set. Much better than last years model. He loves it but like my Sammys inputs better. It's all in the eye of the beholder... When were spending over 3 grand on a TV we should be happy with the product.
Let us know how the Mitsu is

Post Number: 7
lol... I can't win...

The Mitsu is great, plays great, looks great (now that it's home, looks better than the RCA did), and has a lot more options... the problem...

There's a "dark" spot near the lower middle of the screen. It's not a bad mirror, but looks like a smudge or dust somewhere between the mirror and the back of the TV screen. It's about a quarter size of a dime (if you follow that). :-)

LOL... other than that... it's great. The only problem is that I can't take it back yet cause that was the last one at the store. lol... could have it "repaired"... but I'd rather just exchange and be done with it.

Anyone have any tricks for maybe clearing up that spot?

TK... (sorry, it seems I've almost taken over this thread). :-(

Johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
GEEZ. TK
I wouldn't wanna be standing next to you in lightning storm.. LOL I told you to get the SAMMY : ) just kidding

Post Number: 8
LOL... I don't even want to be standing next to me in a lightning storm at this point!... hm... getting dark and cloudy outside.

TK.

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 49
-TK, YOU SAID:
There's a "dark" spot near the lower middle of the screen. It's not a bad mirror, but looks like a smudge or dust somewhere between the mirror and the back of the TV screen. It's about a quarter size of a dime (if you follow that).

My JVC had a similar problem. It looked like a "thumbprint" on the upper left side. A dark smudge was visible during really light colored scences. I tried to clean it off but it was inbetween the layers. I ended up exchanging the set for a new one. The guys at Video Only told me sometimes the layers on the RPTVs will stick together in a spot. They see it alot with all types of RPTVs. How is the glare on your Mitsu? I might have picked up the mitsu but it hadn't come out a week after I bought my JVC. I'm still very happy though.

Post Number: 9
That sounds like that might be what it is. It's not a "black" spot but more "grey" as I can see light coming through it.. it's just darker than the rest of the screen. I would think your theory is right by what I'm seeing.

The glare can be an issue with the "uv screen" (or whatever) in place. Last night with just one light on in the room, it was almost like a mirror... I could see myself and everthing else in the room (and that was with a bright picture being displayed and a dim ceiling light turned on)... it was a bit disctracting... I then removed the "removable uv screen" and the glare "problem" is no more. I prefer the TV without the screen (mostly due to the glare)... but that's personal taste and my current lighting situation.

So far I love the TV (just need another one due to the spot)... tons of hooks ups, easy to use (although I don't really like the remote *big/clunky feeling*), and it looks great.

BTW - The internal speakers on the Mits seem a lot better than the RCA's speakers as well.

BTW #2 - The guys at BB seemed sure that the RCA's problems with HDMI were related to HDCP... I'm not so sure myself... maybe someone can explain more on that either yes or no.

TK.

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 53
Do you have any pix of the set without the cover on it? I was curious how it looked. I took a look at the Mitsu at Fry's and the glare was insane so I turned all the sets off behind me. It was a lot better then, and I thought the picture was absolutely outstanding. I think it had some of the best black levels I've seen on a DLP so far. Even though I've already bought my set, I still love to checkout other TVs when I get the chance. Have you noticed any "rainbows" yet? My wife is real sensitive to it so we had to avoid the DLP sets. She has seen the Mitsu a couple times in the store and hasn't had a problem. From my limited expirience with it, it seems to be a really good TV.

Post Number: 10
I could try to take a few pics of it with the cover off... though my digicam isn't all that great.

With the cover on the glare is horrible, but once that's off it's like 99% gone.

I have noticed some "rainbow" effects (more so on the RCA though) but they're the worst when it's narrow white on black fields (like end credits scrolling text, tall/thing neon lights). I really only notice it when I move my eyes quickly left or right.

The more colors you've got going on at once though the less you'll see the rainbow effect too though... (white on black VS intro of Futurama).

I would think (and hope) that they'll push the TVs enough that after awhile you won't even have to worry about the rainbows anymore.

Does anyone know if the 52525 has a 7-color pinwheel or just a 6-color?... BB guys say 7, manual implies 6.

TK.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
If I take some pics of the TV with the screen off.... where can I upload them for your viewing?... do these boards support uploading pics?

DC
Unregistered guest
Teknomedic, You might want to think about returning the 52525 and getting a 52725. The 52725 is the upgrade to the 52525. The key difference is it has an anti-glare shield, instead of the 52525's "high"-glare shield. That way you don't have to worry about the screen being somewhat unprotected without the cover on it. I got it at HHGregg for $3300 with free delivery and 18 months same as cash, after several rounds of haggling. Not sure if you have HHGregg's by you, but I've found them to be more negotiable on price than BB and CC. I get it delivered on Friday - can't wait. I have spent the past month trying to decide between the Sammy 5063 and the JVC HILA and am glad I finally made a choice..I think all three are good choices...I went with the Mitshubishi b/c of some of the features (like cable card) I plan to get the Toshiba SD-6970 DVD player.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
My only choice around here is Best Buy... I do have some other high end electronic stores, but they're prices are always higher than best buy... and they care more about money than the customer. I've thought about the 725, but BB doesn't carry it... also, I don't want to order online due to the problems involed with possible returns, etc.

Tell me more about the SD-6970... does that have HDMI... and is it also a "higher quality" player over the 5970?... or was that a mistake and you ment 5970?

TK.

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 58
TK-

Below the "preview/post message" is an "upload image or attachment" button. You can upload pix there. You will most likely have to resize them too which is rather easy to do using the basic MS paint. There is no Toshiba SD-6970. I think that was a typo. There is a new SD-V592 DVD/VHS combo unit. It seems like a pretty cool unit. Upcoverts just the the 5970 and can play s-vhs tapes.

johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
The SD-5970 is really amazing after a few weeks of viewing... My son's Elmo DVD's among others are not the greatest quality.. But on the SD-5970 those images come alive, no jaggies or blurred edges anymore like my previous DVD player . So glad I found this model. peace

Username: Aukevin

I don't have a HDMI input on my TV, but I do have a DVI. Do any of you have this player hooked up with a HDMI to DVI cable? Thanks.

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 63
I had a Samsung 841 hooked up to my JVC set with a DVI to HDMI cable. The cable worked great but the DVD player sucked. I returned it and I now have the Toshiba SD-5970. I don't see why you would have any problems going HDMI to DVI. You just won't get sound from cable, but if your running a surround system you probably have the digital out going to your reciever anyway. I refused to pay $120 for the Monster cable version of the HDMI to DVI cable so I bought one on Ebay for around $20. They work great, you shouldn't have any problem. The cable works both ways so it doesn't matter which end is the input and which end is the output. You just need a male plug on each end.

good deal. Thanks Mr Lynch. I'm trying to decide between this Toshiba and the new Sony HDMI player. I already have a optical wire for the audio on my current player, so that won't matter. Thanks.

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 65
I'm sure you'll be happy either way. I love my Toshiba, but Sony has always made quality products.

johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
I use pacificable.com for my cables, they have good quality fast service. Dont forget the Sony looks like it's going to be $100.00 more than the SD-5970 also. Just curious what kind of TV do you have ?

"I use pacificable.com for my cables, they have good quality fast service. Dont forget the Sony looks like it's going to be $100.00 more than the SD-5970 also. Just curious what kind of TV do you have ?"

I have a Samsung HCN-653W. It is a rear projection CRT.

Unregistered guest
Anyone figured out how to unlock the Toshiba SD-5970 and make region free?

Username: Alanpgh

I have a Sony GWIII, a KF-50WE610, and I love it.
If I get a Toshiba SD-5970, where can I get an inexpensive cable to go from the HDMI output of the DVD player to the DVI input of the WE610?

I want good PQ but do not want to pay $100. for the cable.

Thanks,
Alan

P.S. - Does anyone have experience with the Sony upconverting DVD player? What is the model number? Thanks!

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 83
I bought a DVI to HDMI (works both ways) off of ebay for $20. It works great. The Sony model number is DVP-NS975V, and it retails for around $300. $100 more than the Toshiba. http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_Display ProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=DVPNS975V&Dept=hav&CategoryName=hav_DVD_DVDP layers

Username: Doog

Mr. Lynch, just bought the toshiba 5970 and the jvc 52 inch dila. I don't have sound with the dvd player, seleclted pcm setting and have front switch to hdmi and am using the hdmi cable provided. Any thoughts on what to look for next other than and exchange. Thanks for any help

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 86
PCM is for 2 channel Analog sound, so it will not work with the HDMI cable. You would use that setting if you were hooking up the audio via the RCA cables. I believe you can switch it (PCM) to bitstream or whatever the other option is. Hopefully that will fix the problem. I personally use the digital audio out to my receiver so I do not get my audio from the HDMI cable.

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 88
I did some research I I might be wrong about the PCM thing. I asked out "expert" here at work and that was what he told me. Anyway, I looked though the JVC user manual and it says "when using an HDMI to HDMI connection set "DIGITAL-IN AUDIO" in the initial setup menu to "DIGITAL". Check page 47 of the user manual for some good pictures and instructions. I guess there are few things you can try out to get the sound to work. I'll try it tonight on my setup and see what I can get.

Username: Doog

Mr. Lynch, I did finally get the audio just as I was on hold with Toshiba. I did change the tv to digital-in and I suspect that with all the changes that I was fussing with the activation came when I turned off the dvd and turned it on again similar to rebooting or the activation came upon a delay, anyway it does work and I appreciate the coorespondence.

Bronze Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 90
Doog-
Good to hear you got it working. There are so many different options and not very much writen about them. It makes it hard to set things up sometimes.
Enjoy your new setup!! 1 quick question: on the upper left of your TV, is there a "HD-DiLA" sticker/logo? My first set had it, but the replacement doesn't. I was just curious if it suppose to be there or not.

Unregistered guest
Hi All,

I just bought the Toshiba SD-5970 from Best Buy for my Toshiba 42HP83 Plasma TV. I love it! My plasma has a DVI connector, so I did have to buy a HDMI to DVI cable. Word of caution, if you do have to buy a HMDI to DVI cable, do not buy it at Best Buy. They were selling the "Monster" brand and wanted $120 for 2 meters. I went to Fry's Electronics and bought a compatible cable for $55. The salesman at Best Buy also directed me away from the Samsung HD-841. He said they break easy and get about 50% back that they sell.

johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
I use pacificable.com , I have never had a problem with them. Even my Monster Cable friend see's no difference on my pacific cables vs. his Monsters. Other than the $500 bucks total for all his cables vs. $175 mine...

Bronze Member
Username: Chopper414

New York, New York

Post Number: 17
I bought the Toshiba 5970 and connected hdmi to the tv (great picture) and the audio optical output of the unit into my stereo receiver's digital input.The dvd player's settings was set to pcm, not the raw mode. I can only hear 2 channels in the pcm mode through my stereo. I switched the audio setting from pcm to raw, and I got a 5.1 signal (Dolby Digital) from my receiver. All of a sudden one of my receiver's amp popped and smoked while I was playing "Finding Nemo" during a loud moment in the movie. I had to take my receiver to a service center for repair. Can anyone tell me what the hell happened????

Username: Humorme201

Norwalk, CT

Interested to know if the Toshiba 5970 will play SVCDs and VCDs. Can't seem to find anywhere online its owner's manual to verify. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Additionally, does it play DVD-R, DVD-RW, etc.?

Have a new Sammy HLP5685W and can't wait to hook up a DVD upconverter for it.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 115
The Toshiba 5970 plays DVD-R discs without any problems. I have a lot of movies and home video on DVD-R and I've played many of them on this unit. They all read just fine. No skipping, studdering or freezing. I do not have any VCD discs so I could not tell you if those work. Even if it did work I'm not sure how good it would look. Your 56" set would just magnify all the flaws.

Bronze Member

New York, New York

Post Number: 21
David,

I have the Toshiba 5970 connected to my 5685 tv (HMDI input), and I have to say, you will be pleased. I've tried playing a copy of a dvd movie (DVD+R) uncompressed, but had a little difficulty. It would play for awhile and stop on it's own. I played a regular dvd movie (Finding Nemo), and had no problems. "Finding Nemo" looked great using the hdmi cable. Congrats on your 5685, you've made a great choice.

Unregistered guest
MITS TV INFO - I, like many of you it seems, have wrestled (for 18 months) with the HD2+ v xHD model thing for a while. I resigned myself to wait for the Mits models. Having read about (and seen in person at BB) the really bad glare on the WD52/62 525 series, I was getting scared off. I then revisted MITS new site and read about the WD52/62 Medallion 725 series with better anti-glare sheild. They have a Diamond series (+$1,500) with even better screen, and built in DVR but I didnt think worth the extra cash. I went to a local mits dealer, and purchased the WD62725. I have had it for 2 weeks and LOVE IT. The HD via Adelphia cable - component cable is breathtaking, although my STB does not yet have the DVI capable(nobody at adelphia knows ANYTHING). Mine sits caddy corner to sliding doors and does get some sunlight with very, very little glare.
Im now here looking for an HDMI DVD player -Thanks for all the info on the SD 5970, you have made my decision over the Sammy HD941, hope I helped with your TV decision.

Unregistered guest
Hi All,

Does anyone know where I can get the Toshiba 5970 in canada? I can't seem to find it in the stores here, I think I might have to make a run across the border to the Best Buy in Bellingham, WA to buy it. Anyone have any suggest on where I should purchase it?

Bronze Member

New York, New York

Post Number: 23
How can anyone compare the Toshiba 5970 to the Samsung HD941 if it's not available yet??? I have the Toshiba 5970,and I have to admit that this unit rocks. It made "Finding Nemo" look close to HD on my 5685 via HDMI cable. I paid only $179.00 at Bestbuy. I just couldn't wait for the Samung HD941 any longer, which by the way cost $100.00 more than the toshiba. The Toshiba SD5970 is the best bang for your bucks.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 128
I totally agree with you Chopper. The 5970 is the way to go.

johnnytv2004
Unregistered guest
Why is the DVDHD941 not out yet ??? I had one on order a few months ago and was told it would ship 09/15 I believe.. I canceled it after having a bad experience with the HD841. I love my Sammy DLP but Samsung doesn't seem to be able to make a good DVD player... Like all Electronics Manufacturers, they have no quality control it would be too costly. The consumer is the quality control dept. But I agree the SD-5970 is awesome like finding nemo, VanHelsing was close to HD as well... Some of my friends are getting the Toshiba after seeing what a good job it does upconverting to my Sammy's 720p native resolution

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 131
There was an update on the 941 on one of my favorate sites. Scroll down to the Oct. 13th post on this link for some good info.
http://www.hometheaterblog.com/hometheater/2004/10/index.html

rodlowe
Unregistered guest
Hi, I have a quick question about the 5970. I'm seriously considering purchasing it, but I'd like to know if you can move the image when watching letterboxed widescreen on a 4:3. I like to watch letterboxed movies and move them to the top of the screen, and leave the large black area at the bottom for subtitles. My old Toshiba SD-2700 had this ability, by using the zoom feature (leaving zoom at 0 and just moving the image up). I really love watching movies this way, and I'd like to know if I can do this with the 5970. Thanks for your help,
Rod

Unregistered guest
ok quick question....
i have a Toshiba 52" DLP with HDMI input.
right now i have Toshiba dvd player, a 6200, which has been great despite its age, over 3 years old

but for the life of me, i cannot get wide screen, progressive DVD's to play with out the black bars on my screen

does this dvd play the discs with out the bars on wide screen tvs?

ive checked and rechecked settings on my dvd player (using progressive out put on component cables, set the dvd player to 16:9 tv etc etc)

any help would be appreciated, thanks!!!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 219
Easy answer to that one. A widescreen 16:9 TV is equal to a 1.78 to 1 ratio. Most moves are even wider than this. The 2 most common ratios used are 1.85 to 1, and 2.35 to 1. This is usually listed on the back of the DVD box. In order for these to fit your screen you will still end up with black bars. Movies that are 1.85 to 1 will have very small bars, and 2.35 to 1 will have fairly big ones. Here is a good article on the subject. http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/widescreenorama.h tml

Rocco Russo
Unregistered guest
thank Mr Lynch...

i thought it was something along those lines, i will read that article for more detailed info now.....

i wasn't quite sure if i was missing something or not, bummer about the bars on the wide screen tv, i thought for sure it would work for 1:85

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 220
How big are the bars on 1:85 movies? They shouldn't be more than an inch each.

Rocco Russo
Unregistered guest
well looking at what i have demo'd so far, Star Wars, Braveheart, Master & Commander, they have all been 2:35, so that would explain the larger bars....

Monsters Inc was full screen though, and looked amazing..... so i think i have my settings correct

Unregistered guest
I just bought the 5970 and have a mitsubishi 625252 with hdmi, however i cannot get any signal from the dvd player. i've switched the switch over to hdmi in the front, hit hdmi on the remote but nothing happens. Component out works fine. What am I doing wrong? Also is there supposed to be some sort of on screen indicator when hdmi is enabled, cause I don't see anything when i switch the switch from analog to hdmi, or hit the button.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 224
I believe you need to switch a setting on your TV to let it know you are receiving a "digital" input. I know my JVC was like that.

Anonymous

Has anyone compared the Toshiba 5970 to the Vinc Bravo D2 and what were your findings?

Bronze Member
Username: Bigfan

Post Number: 64
Has anyone found a player that offers DVI and/or HDMI like the Toshiba 5970, AND offers DVD-audio and SACD, at or near the price of the Toshiba 5970?

Username: Billjr106

NY

I just have to ask, I am unsure as to why you guys all pay such high prices for these tv's. I just bought mine recently (my choices were between the Samsung 5063W, Optoma RD50, and RCA Scenium, all for under 2000$, 2300 shipped for the most expensive one.) I went with the optoma due to ratings and tests that I read about, plus they have bene in the DLP projection business a lot longer then any others. I love my tv (less the HDCP problem that plagues me to get the oh so great 399$ upgraded motherboard...screw it, dvi is crap for my cable anyway) anyway, love the tv, shopping for a new dvd player, and stop paying so much money people!!! 3300 and proud of a no interest deal...damn.....id be more upset of the loss of 1000$

DeanoRip
Unregistered guest
My 10 cents on my short lived experience with the 5970. Hookup was in fact easy, it is very light and i wonder about that as sometimes that means cheaply made? Anyway, it plays normal movies just fine, however burned DVD+R it locks up after about 10 minutes. Even my cheapo JVC plays DVD+R. Remote range and response is HORRIBLE! Even pressing the buttons on the device itself seems sluggish (others have noted this as well). I am buying the Sony 975 (more money but plays DVD+R or so i hope!). In summary if you only play regular DVD's it should be fine, comes with HDMI cable as well. If you can put up with the crappy remote response it is very reasonably priced...

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 251
DeanoRip-

I agree with you about the remote. The response time sucks, and sometimes the buttons on the unit itself don't respond. But I really enjoy the picture I get from it, and it plays DVD-Rs just fine. For the price and features it is a great unit that feels my needs. I've found that a lot of DVD players have more problems with +R vs. -R so I almost exclusely use -R now.

riskybiz
Unregistered guest
Deano.. a quick glance at the specs before purchase would have tol you it doesnt do +R discs. +R is older technology

Anonymous

Does anyone have an online or pdf manual for the 5970? Thanks...

Smurf
Unregistered guest
Just figured I would drop my .02. I have a hitachi 51 in 51s715. I get beautiful quality off my Hughes DirectTV HD box and thought to upgrade my old JVC progressive scan. I bought the 5970 and I am far from impressed. First of all the upconversion made the blacks far too deep. I tried it on multiple settings on the television but I still get no visibility on black images with the DVD player. To compound the problem within 15 days the player died. Hooked the old JVC back up and while the picture was less crisp I could suddenly see black images.

I would not recommend this player at all.

GrandMaster
Unregistered guest
I have a question, with a HDMI dvd player and a HDMI tv (I have the 52hm94 Toshiba DLP), how do you hook up the audio? Doesn't the HDMI cable aslo carry audio? I'd much rather use my Yamaha receiver for DVD audio, but would still like to get the PQ with the HDMI hook up. Thanks...

Username: Frankwr

Scottsdale, AZ USA

I also purchased a Toshiba SD V592 DVD/VHS combo unit (tried 2 different units) and had recurring sound "drop-outs" every few minutes and "pops" after which it jumped back to the main DVD start-up menu (5 times on the first unit-none on the second unit). I made sure TV was set for HDMI digital sound and the Toshiba has a button on front panel you just press for HDMI mode. Other than the sound drops I love the PQ and other features which all seemed to work fine. I returned them both to BB. Now I'm waiting to see if any newer reasonably priced HMDI units come up for sale or I hear there is some problem between the Toshiba DVD and the Panasonic TV. I had them both hooked up to my new Panasonic 42" ED plasma (TH-42PD25/U)with a direct HDMI to HDMI interface cable. Don't know if it's the new HDMI interface between the TV & DVD or some other problem. Now I'm waiting. Any advice?

Username: Davidm

Miami, FL

Picture quality is fine using the HDMI cable. The problem I have with this DVD player is the remote is painfully slow. I sometimes want to throw the remote at the player. Are all the 5970s this unresponsive?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 368
David-

The remote is slow with the 5970. I even contacted Toshiba and they said "That's how it is", and there was no fix for it. I usually just put the disc in and hit play so I can live with it. It does get annoying sometimes though.

Username: Alalk3

Freedom, NH USA

I have a Toshiba 34hf84 direct view hd tv. I love it! Even cable analog picture is breathtaking. It has an hdmi output. If I purchase a Toshiba 5970 and hookup to hdmi, will I notice an improvement? I've been told that it only improves fixed pixel displays. On the other habd, I've been told go for it. My tv upconverts signal to 1080. What is the truth?

Anonymous

I've just bought this unit and yes, the remote does stink, but so far the PQ with the HDMI interface is good. My only question is, when I play discs that are in 4:3 format, the unit streches it to 16x9, which seems to distort the picture. I can't seem to find a way to turn this off and watch the disc as the director intended. When I connect the unit via the component video connection, it does not have this problem and 4:3 material plays at the proper ratio. Is there some setting I'm missing?

Username: Kentster

I have the Sammy 50" DLP and LOVE IT. I HAD the Toshiba SD-5970 and the PQ was amazing. However, I just returned it because I was having to press the buttons on the front too many times to have it actually do something. The floor model was the same way. Is this normal? Remote seemed to work fine, but didn't like having to press the button 3 times for it to play, open, close, etc...sometimes one time would work, but rarely. Has anyone experienced the same "annoyance"? Also, I am reviewing other HDMI DVD players such as Pioneer and Sammy. Posts on here seem to view Sammy DVDs on a "not-so-good" level. Any additional input on HDMI players is appreciated. Thanks.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 379
When watching 4:3 DVDs, DO NOT upscale it to 720p, it will distort the picture. Leave the "HDMI" adjustment at 480p and you will get a 4:3 picture. The 720p mode will always convert or "upscales" the image to 1280x720.

Username: Ddemarchis

May be a dumb question...but I'm new....

I just purchased a 52" Toshiba DLP. I'm using a dvd player with component connections to the tv. Will I notice a better picture when watching dvd's if I buy the Toshida dvd player with the HDMI out? In other words, does HDMI really give a superior picture quality over Component? Thanks

ToshibaUser
Unregistered guest
"When watching 4:3 DVDs, DO NOT upscale it to 720p, it will distort the picture. Leave the "HDMI" adjustment at 480p and you will get a 4:3 picture. The 720p mode will always convert or "upscales" the image to 1280x720."

Hmmm... When I press the HDMI button on the remote to set the setting to 480p, it *still* stretches the 4:3 material. This only happens when using the HDMI interface (the HDMI cable). My workaround is to connect the component cables as well and use that for 4:3 content. It works okay for now.

I'm thinking more and more this player is not worth the trouble. But then again, it was cheap.

Bronze Member

New York, New York

Post Number: 43
Yes

Username: Zacharyt

I just returned this player to Best Buy. My $30.00 Wal-Mart has a better picture - no joke! Funny thing is, the guy in front of me in the return line was returning the same player, for the same reason! I tried all types of adjustment (I can upconvert with my 51" Sony HDTV) and different movies, and I was still unhappy with the picture. I would stay away from the 5970.

ZEROTOLLER
Unregistered guest
Yeah, I'm also wondering - whether you guys tested the PQ with component connection vs. HDMI. Would be nice to hear from someone with 50" DLP. I know that in theory HDMI is supposed to be better, but thats in theory. Also, as I've read here - most of you guys who purchased Toshiba player are using the HDMI cable which came with the player. Most of the time cables included in the box are of poor quality and it is recommended to upgrade, BUT that was true for analog cables. So, does enyone know about HDMI cables? Did anyone try to upgrade for a better cable rather than using the one which came with the player? Any PQ difference?

Thanks!

Bronze Member

New York, New York

Post Number: 44
The 5970 was not a bad dvd player for the price, except for the anonying delayed remote functions, and the poorly build compartment. The 5970 delivered a very good dvd pq via HDMI connection, which btw delivered a better pq than component cables. Because of the above problems, I returned the unit at BestBuy. The answer to your question: Yes, HDMI (digital domain) delivered a much better pq than the component cables ( analog), even with the HDMI cables that came with the unit. I do recommend a cable upgrade.

remotely challenged
Unregistered guest
This player's remote response is terrible, I was hoping my harmony 676 would be of some help.
But the unit is miserably slow. I didn't really use it too much when I first got it, maybe I would have returned it had I noticed.

Username: Dvines

Is it even worth it, getting an upconverting DVD player with a direct View CRT type HDTV? even if it does have an HDMI input? (Sony KV-30HS420)I heard that it only make a difference if you have a fixed pixel display type TV.

Tosh52
Unregistered guest
Okay, I've read through all the posts on this topic and am hearing, overall, that the 5970 is a decent dvd player...

Answer me this then: I just bought a brand new Toshiba 52HMX84 and have the 5970 hooked up to it (through the HDMI cable that came with it) and the picture is absolutely horrible. How can this be? I'm seeing so much graininess in the picture that I actually thought the tv was bad. Then I took the same movie (Spiderman) to BB and had them hook up the same dvd player to one of their Tosh 52s and saw the same crap. I honestly don't think the tv is bad and that it must be the dvd player/cables. Any help on how to clean up this picture would be greatly appreciated.

Username: Upatoi15

The 5970 sucks. The button lag will drive you insane and you have to continue to change the HDMI setting to 1080i. The Denon 1910 is much better as you can keep the setting at 1080 even if you turn off and on the unit. The audio is much better but cant say much more about the visual quality. I had problems playing DVD-r's on the 5970 as the picture would get grainy and the disks skipped. I played the same discs on the 1910 and no skips!! plays perfectly! Go with DENON 1910.

Username: Mmagnus

Last night I went out and bought a Denon 2910 and audioqest top end hdmi cables + a monster surge protector/power filter... and I'm still seeing a super grainy image. I've started a new thread in "Projectors" to see if there is something I'm not doing right with my dlp. Find it here:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/120018.html

Username: Cahtye

I purchased a Toshiba 5970 DVD player and have hooked it up to a Sony 34HS420 HDTV. When I play older DVD's like "Sink the Bismarck" at 1080i or 720p there's a lot of digital jitter and jumpiness in the picture. It is very annoying. I've set both the DVD player and the HDTV to the same setting either 1080i or 720p and still get the jitter. Is there something about older movies that causes jumpiness in the picture? All the Lord of the Rings DVD's seem to display just fine. Suggestions?

Anonymous

Using a 5970 connected via HDMI to my JVC 52z85 - picture looks great over HDMI, but can't seem to get any audio. Has anyone else figured this out? I have tried every option on the 52z85's menu re: digital-in audio and on the 5970's menu outputting PCM, but still nothing.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 499
anonymous-

The problem is with the JVC. Some of the sets have a bad HDMI card that will not pass audio. JVC will fix it, and it is only a 10 minute swap.

AlexRa
Unregistered guest
This makes US-sold Toshiba 5970 region free!!!
Codefree via remote control:
-open the tray
-type 2403960 (each time you press a digit button
you'll see a cursor advancing on the screen)
-press enter to cycle to region 9
-close the tray
-turn the player off
-turn it back on

Works also with RCE!
Pal movies work great via HDMI!!

Unregistered guest
I paired up a Tosh SD-5970 with a Sony KV-32HS420 (HDMI connect). While the image quality is outstanding, I've had some problems with the Tosh.

* Takes a VERY long time to recognize disks, and sometimes says 'Bad disk'.
* Hit the 'eject' button, and nothing happens (movie keeps playing) for a got 5 seconds. Almost all remote operations seem very sluggish/slow.
* Remote seems to have dismal range, and I *really* like the 'old' remote design better (have a SD-2109 on my old Tosh TW65GW80).
* I was watching SW:EP1, and the image just froze. Every button just yielded a 'no' sign in the upper left hand corner.

Other than that, like I said - the picture is great, but I may try to get it replaced.

Bronze Member
Username: Thomas_frieder

Staten Island, New York USA

Post Number: 36
Maybe I've been lucky. Price for this unit was a phenomenal $120 with free shipping at buydig, HDMI cable a big savings and this works great on both my widescreen sets, a 37" panasonic plasma EDTV and 42" Sony LCD HDTV for the past month I've had this deck. However, remote sensitivity and design is poor, but it is far outweighed by picture quality, cost and the region-free upgrade (which worked). I will say that the widescreen aspect ratio was incorrect at 480p setting, but 1080i worked perfectly with both sets so I did not delve too much into finding out why. The recently released Farscape Peacekeeper Wars DVD and Star Wars Widescreen DVD sets were flawless and I am back to buying DVD's again. I had decided to wait for the newer HiDef format and stayed with TV only but this has me out there buying again.
I did find that using NIMH batteries and bouncing signals off the ceiling helped the remote issue for some reason, although there are times i'm pressing my finger almost thru the remote to get a response, but the picture quality helps me forget that quickly.

revevil2366
Unregistered guest
Ok this might seem weird to you guys but here goes. I just bought the SD-5970, hoked it up to my old tv (a 30") via the analog rca connections and the picture quality is AWFUL! Even DVD i put in it looks washed-out and the brightness is really high (like gamma on a computer). No adjusting to the TV makes any difference. No detail in bright images and the DVD splash screen is even so washed out, that it's really hard just to see the logo. It just all looks white with a little bluish tint to the bottom. I tried different cabl;es, tv, etc and my old crappy $30 Norcent DVD player looks 1,000,000 times better in PQ. What's up with that??

revevil2366
Unregistered guest
Ok, this might seem weird to you guys but here goes. I just bought the SD-5970, hooked it up to my old tv (a 30") via the analog rca connections and the picture quality is AWFUL! Every DVD I put in it looks washed-out and the brightness is really high (like gamma on a computer). No adjusting to the TV makes any difference. No detail in bright images and the DVD splash screen is even so washed out, that it's really hard just to see the logo. It just all looks white with a little bluish tint to the bottom. I tried higher quality cables, tv, etc and my old crappy $30 Norcent DVD player looks 1,000,000 times better in PQ. What's up with that?? I haven't used the HDMI output yet, cause I don't have a digital TV yet, but it seems liek the analog should at least look ok. The PQ is CRAP.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Ok, more info is definately needed. What brand TV set are you using, the size factor's not important, brand name and model is, so it's features could be known (type of video inputs, etc.). Back to the Toshiba player, there's a switch in the left front of the player that should be turned to analog for the normal viewing else regular video out is shut down. Are you using a standard commercial DVD? this model does not play all modes of DVDr's. Are you using the actual yellow or s-vhs video out jack in the back of the unit (not using one of the the nearby component video outs by mistake)? When you use the standard video out, you have to select some menu option via the remote.... "video option CVBS" (it's in the manual for more details, I do not remember it exactly). If none of that works, my last suggestion is to save the unit just for when you need it's main purpose of high resolution DVD playing as long as that feature works well. good luck

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 214
Make sure you do not have it set for HDMI output. On a regular tv, set DVD output to 480i. Try this and get back to us. I also have this unit.

revevil
Unregistered guest
Hey Guys! Thanks for the response!

I'm using an older Toshiba TV. Tried it on a Sony, and a Zenith all with the same results. All the switches and RCA plugs in the back are in the right places. HDMI is not set. The video option is set for CVBS. I'm using the analog (Yellow) video out. I don't have an svideo connection on my TV.

Now Dale, you mentioned set the DVD output to 480i. How do I set that? I don't see that option anywhere?

Thanks again for all your help!!

revevil
Unregistered guest
oh yeah,

The TVs I'm using are older and have only coaxial connections so i had to get one of those converter boxes to convert from coax to RCA.

One point though. Other cheap DVD players look great on these TVs using the convert box. Only this SD-5970 looks crappy. I'm using only commercially bought DVDs. Tried, "the butterfly effect", "lord of the rings", etc.

Silver Member

Post Number: 245
Toshiba manual page 54. Select CVBS if you connect via composite video input.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 640
Why would someone buy the 5970 is they did not intend to use the upscaling HDMI output? Your better off saving a bunch of money and getting the 4960.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Well as the question above comes up, it is sorta equivalent to putting premium in a VW. but if your intent is to eventually get an HDTV, it's fine to have this unit, just that it's full features are not realized at this time.
The 480i switch is on the bottom corner of the remote (progressive) but i think that is unnecessary to worry about. If you are selecting analog on the hdmi switch on the front it should be defaulting to 480i ....progressive output would not give a bad picture, it would just not display correctly at all. My EDTV plasma cannot get any picture with the 720p setting for the same reason.
The other reasons this set would not display regular output correctly could be attributed to ... the video jack could be faulty, etc.
One other option to debug this is take this unit and one that works and try it on a friend or neighbor's set (hopefully one with an S-vhs input which would give you one other output method to try if the other jack is bad) and see if the same thing happens...if it does, your options are replace, repair or wait till you get an HDTV set to use the HDMI out (which may not be working also since you have no set to test that either??) My deck blows away my Apex and Samsung players via any type outputs so i cannot see why your unit does not as well without it needing repair as all other options have been exhausted

Silver Member

Post Number: 251
Mr. Lynch, I'm sure the posters appreciate your paternalistic attitude. As Mr. Frieder points out, there could be any number of reasons why people purchase the 5970, some having nothing to do with the HDMI upconversion circuitry. Instead of imposing your biases on us, why not give us some guidance or insight?

Freedom, NH USA

I will not get into personalities. I will point out that without HDMI the 5970 has same PQ and dacs as anything else in price range. Personally, if audio is not an issue, even if it is, if u are just hooked up digitally, I think the 3960 is the biggest steal on the market (if u can overlook the remote). But getting back to 5970, it's a solid deck for the money, with or without HDMI. Perhaps if put another way.. without HDMI u have greater choice in that price range. There are some decks like Harmon Kardon 22 that have achieved quite a rep. The Tosh w/out HDMI may not turn out to be 1st choice, but not a bad choice.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
First, to be honest, my initial thoughts were similar to Mr. Lynch's when the deck was bought without owner having either an EDTV or HDTV.

Now, for Allen K, I can't back you up here, unless you associate HDMI output with the video upconversion feature, since this deck only allows watching the upconversion thru this interface (a small weakness?). While the HDMI connection allows a one cable use convenience, the key features to this deck are the HD video upconversion and the ability to be made "region free". High Definition video can also be watched via component and DVI cables as well, it's just that this deck does not offer that option. To my eyes, it's fairly difficult to tell the differences in HD picture between the 3 types of inputs, either HDMI, DVI or component (if good cables are used, it may change when the next quality level 1080p sets come out later this year). In fact, I wish this deck allowed it's upconversion to also come out of the component output so my TV's HDMI input could be saved for the more often used Satellite or cable HD signals, which now I'm stuck using the component inputs for my satellite box instead.

Basicly I'm saying no deck offers HD upconversion even close to the price this deck's being sold at, the HDMI interface is just a nice bonus, I'd have bought it with any HD output interface at the $120 price I paid.

Freedom, NH USA

Basically I am leaving upconversion out of it. I am merely saying that as a straight progressive scan deck it is worth the money, that at that price it probably falls in the middle amongst progressive scan, comp. video decks under 200 bucks, that it is a valid entry at that price level w/out the HDMI, not my number one choice, but valid

revevil
Unregistered guest
Hey Guys, looks like this made for some good conversation regarding HD and upconversion. I am planning on buying a HDTV later this year. My DVD player started working intermittently lately, so I figured I'd buy the SD-5970 to replace my current DVD player and it'll be a nice bonus once I get my HDTV.

But really, the picture quality through the analog component video output was so bad that ANY OF YOU would be at least a little peeved. I contacted Toshiba and they said they've had a few complaints about this particular model for a variety of reasons (HDMI was quirky, DVD player wouldn't play certain disks, and yes, bad video quality via the analog outputs). They immediately offered to replace the unit with a newer upgraded SD-5980. The rep said that the 5980 was identical to the 5970, only that the hardware was "upgraded" to address all pervious issues. I sent it off and can't wait till I get the new one back (in probably 3 weeks).

Thomas, Dale and Allen: Thank you very much for your valuable input! I'll let you all know how it goes once I get the newer unit. Hopefully good news.

-Revevil

Username: Junglerat

ok ive read this thread from start to finish and finally decided to get the 5970, but as i was walking out the door i decided to check what connections i have a available on my 65 in. mitsu. projection. I have only one dvi conection and i have my voom receiver connected to that. How would i connect the 5970 without a hdmi connection and only one dvi connection.

Username: Scythe1969

Orange County, CA

Waqas - You'd have to use the component connectors on the DVD player and forego the Upconversion feature. It only works with the HDMI connection.

As for my own issues...

I have this DVD player and I agree with everyone, it has a brilliant picture. I have mine connected to my Pioneer 4312 43" HD Plasma Screen and the picture is excellent.

I don't have the problem of having to set my upconversion settings to 1080i all the time but I do experience the lack of response from either the buttons on the front panel or my pronto. As for my biggest pet peeve... Does anyone have a problem with resuming playback when you've turned the machine off (standby to be exact)? Whenever I stop a disc mid way and turn the player off it never remembers where I left off and when I turn it on again it always plays the disc back from the beginning as if I were inserting it for the very first time. Anyone else have this problem?

mico
Unregistered guest
The region free hack didnt work for my 5970. I was even using the remote 5 inches from the player to ensure it wasnt because of the range. No cursor advances when I punch in the numbers. Any alternative region-free set methods out there?

Anonymous

Anyone has SD-5980? I would like to know if it is an improved version over SD-5970.

Anonymous

I just got the SD-5980, but I need to buy an HDMI-to-DVI cable since my Samsung only has DVI input. I watched a movie on it through regular component cables, and the quality was excellent good. I don't know if I should credit that to the player or the TV, though.

I don't know about the 70 model problems since I don't have one, but when I get the converter, I'll post my impressions.

Orange County, CA

That's interesting because the hack worked like a charm on mine... of course I'd trade that feature for resume memory any day of the week...

I'm also curious about the 80 model. Is it confirmed that you can get one of these from Toshiba support if you complain about the 70 enough?

Anonymous

You don't need to buy HDMI to DVI cable. You can just get an adapter such as female HDMI to Male DVI adapter (you can get it for around $15 @ Tweeters). SD-5980 is being sold @ BestBuy for $149.

Anonymous

You don't need to buy HDMI to DVI cable. You can just get an adapter such as female HDMI to Male DVI adapter (you can get it for around $15 @ Tweeters). SD-5980 is being sold @ BestBuy for $149.

revevil
Unregistered guest
Hey Guys, I just got my DVD player back from Toshiba and lo and behold... It's the SD-5970. They told me they would send me a SD-5980! So don't get your hopes up in getting an upgraded DVD player. I was really looking forward to this until they decided not to do it. Anyway... I plug in the DVD player and "BAM" same old problem I had before. Interesting. It's defintely not the same player I had before, but I have the same problem.

Then I started thinking maybe it's "user error". Maybe I'm doing something wrong still... and guess what? I WAS! I'm using one of those RCA-Coax boxes for TVs without RCA jacks (Also called an RF modulator) I have 2 tv's like this at home.

There's a switch on the box that reads "75 ohms or 1K". I switched it and the picture looked great. I don't remember which ohm rating I switched to, but you only have 2 choices. I feel like a retard. At least everything is working now. The ohm setting on the RF modulator was the default setting and my other VCR/DVD player worked fine using the default setting. but i guess the toshiba requires something different.

Good thing to know if you ever plan on using this DVD player with a crappy TV, using analog connections. heh.. yeah guess there's not a lot of us out there! hahahaha!

-Revevil

Denby
Unregistered guest
I just got the 5980 from Best Buy for $149. Pretty good price. I have to say the picture is awesome and much better using the HDMI upconvert than my progressive scan player. I'm using it on a 55" Sony LCD Projection.

I don't think that the aspect ratio is right though. In watching star wars letterboxed version, the movie really only takes up about half the vertical space of the screen. Huge letterbox sizes on the top and bottom.

Has anyone else seen this? or know a different way to set it?

-Denby

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 677
That is pretty normal. A 16:9 set is equal to 1.78 to 1. The Star Wars DVD is in 2.85 to 1. Your going to end up with good size bars. Does it look smaller than it was with your old DVD player? If that is the case it could just be a mismatched setting. Your TV might also have several options for the Digital input size. My JVC has 2 different digital input sizes that greatly effect how big the top/bottom bars are.

Unregistered guest
Can anyone please advise the unlock code for a PRISM 4400S/B DVD player, many thanks

Vinny
Unregistered guest
SD-5980 - just an upgrade from the 5970? better/worse/same thing? Thinking of getting one from best buy for $149. HDMI included sounds great...are they decent quality cables? Going to hook it up to my Panny CT34WX54.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
I wish these new people would take the couple of minutes and register if they have questions involving details that require a steady Q&A so we could contact them direct and weed out some of these simple details of the problem before we waste discussion space. Myself, and I'm sure a few others, would have easily been able to determine "revevil"'s problem right off after getting the full details of the situation.

Now to "revevil" directly, those RF converter boxes are rarely ever needed and should be avoided, they were made for technology 20 years ago, when direct video inputs were not a common need...if you have to use RF (antenna) signals to reach your older TV, use the line inputs of a VCR and that will send your DVD player output to your older set but remember you will most likely only get mono sound (if you do not have a VCR, remember even most non-working VCR's will still perform this and a broken one should be easy enuff to find). (I feel guilty with 3 8-10 year old very decent Sony TV monitors collecting dust in a storage area and this guy's forced to use much older lower tech.)

Second: "Mico" and possible others, the region free hack works but just remember how fussy the 5970 is with the remote...it took at least 5-6 tries to get the hack to finally work on mine, so do not give up.

Lastly, I can get the "Resume" to work fine on my 5970 but I think it only works with stop, not pause (when there is a significant delay). I think the engineers determined if you expect to go back to using the player after a significant delay, you probably should not have paused it?? Just an assumption here, but one that I might have taken. I've always found Toshiba VCR's had strange quirks (for instance one of my Toshiba VCR's would play at double speed if "play" button is hit twice, which the average user might tend to do and if you hit FF or Rewind keya second time while playing a tape in FF or FR mode it would drop the picture and go into fast mode too easily) so this DVD quirk is also no big surprise.

Vinny
Unregistered guest
I went ahead and got the 5980 from BestBuy. Works fine so far. Remote response time is as documented on multiple threads, but once you get the DVD playing its pretty good PQ....I switched setting between the 480p and 1080i options and can see a difference. Connected via the included HDMI cable which seems decent, probably not the best, but it was free so I'm not complaining. Will keep the group posted if I run into any issues with this player.
regarding the region free hack - anyone face any "side effects"? Thanks

Freedom, NH USA

Post Number: 10
don't replace cable. I did. Spent big bucks-no diff at all

Vinny
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the note Allen. I tried the region free code via remote last night and it didn't work for me; probably because I have the 5980 v/s 5970? tried multiple times...

Username: Omar

I have the Toshiba 5970 paid $140 @ BB, dvd player is crap, remote control & player face bottons take long time to respond, I hate it for not having the memory resume when you turn it off and come back to continue playing the movie, having to go through all the movie intro (some movies don't let you skip this), upconversion is not true, I have it conected to a 62" Mitusbishi DLP HDTV, no difference in image between using the 5970 via HDMI vs using a 4 year old Sony non-progresive scan player conected via component video, I even replaced the inclu HDMI cable with Monster 800 Ultra $149 @ BB & notice no difference, in fact, the players problems have gotten even worse after I replaced the HDMI cable, now if I want to skip the movie intro (on the movies with this option available)the image freezes and I can hear noises inside the player as if it is processing something, but it does it forever and just remains frozen ... guys, save your well earned money, do not spend it on this crap, upconversion is a myth, wait for the real HD players coming out, ... does anybody no when these HD players are coming out ?

Bronze Member

Freedom, NH USA

Post Number: 11
Don't know if I have a problem w/5970. Running via HDMI to Toshiba 34HF84 direct view 34" set. It always gives a beautifully detailed picture. On well made DVD's like Troy and The Incredibles, the color is stunning. On some lesser DVD's color seems a tad washed out. Not a gray scale calibration issue. TV was perfectly calibrated using that DVD deck by Greg Loewen

Does anybody know how to get HD over the air channels if you live south of the border from the USA, I live in a town called Matamoros, Mexico south of the border of Brownsville, Texas which is right next to South Padre Island.
I have a 62" Mitsubishi DLP HDTV with HD tuner integrated, I bought the special roof mount antenna to get over the air broadcast HD channels at BB and hooked it up, but I dont get any HD channels and I know for a fact that there are a couple of over the air broadcast channels is the Brownsville area.
Your help will be appreciated, ... Thanks !!

Username: Bobsacameno

I just received my SD5970. I'm connecting HDMI-to-HDMI to my JVC 52". For audio, I'm using digital coax to my Onkyo receiver. As expected, the PQ was excellent, etc, etc. However one (pleasant) surprise was the response of the remote. I've been reading so much about it that I was expecting the worst. I had a 802.11b router in the same room so I unplugged that first; remote responded fine. Then I put the router back in play and still no problem. I was able to do the setup using the remote basically the 1st the time through. From all that I've read, I think I'm lucky or maybe, this will go away soon. At least now, it's working like a champ...

witchdoctor
Unregistered guest
http://tv.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=tv&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.an tennaweb.org

enter your street and zip code, then you will see all digital stations - not necessarily HD stations. It seems that all digital stations have nn.n format, such as 70.2, etc.
In this website, you can also find antennas and installtion guides. Good luck.

witchdoctorlee
Unregistered guest
Here is better website address:

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

Witchdoctorlee, ..... the website you provide for the question I made Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 02:46 pm regarding how to get HDTV over-the-air-broadcast channels into my 62" HDTV Mitsubishi DLP, was AntennaWeb.org, but this website currently only provides information for U.S. addresses and broadcast stations, .... I live south of the border of Brownsville, Texas in a country by the name of Mexico, town is called Matamoros.
When I access the website you recomend, it asks for me to imput a zip code from a US address, so this is not applicable to Mexico, I know for a fact that there are no HDTV over-the-air-broadcast channels from Mexican staitions, but was hoping somebody could help me to access Brownsville/Harlingen/McAllen Texas available HDTV over-the-air-broadcast channels, .... Would appreciate anybodies help with this.
Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
OTA HD does not travel as far as older analog do not know a single person who can get HD over the air in the suburbs wh so you are probably out of luck going that route... I know people who have problems even past 20 miles from NYC since most HDTV is still very low powered and stations are still putting most effort into their main signals. I'm in the darn city and cannot even get OTA because of buildings and other blockages, I get my HD via direcTv and will probably continue to do so...find some relative who lives near a major USA TV market so you can use their mailing address and get their local HD channels that way as you are closer to the satellites than anyone in the USA and should get a superb picture. Directv just launched 3 new satellites and should have much more HD programming including local broadcast channels by Sept. of this year according to direcTv press releases. As for your picture quality problems with your Mitsu... you have to have something not set properly... I own two HD sets and this unit kicks butt over my Smaung and sony progressive scan decks...letterboxed TV shows DVD's blow away the original broadcast of the show as well as some fave movie DVd's like Master and Commander and Manhunter

witchdoctorlee
Unregistered guest
Pepe Rodriguez,
Try to find zip code closest to you from Brownsville/Harlingen/McAllen Texas with yahoo.com Map or www.usps.com zip code lookup. Then enter that to the website I mentioned.
I was able to catch HD stations that are 20+ miles away with a coat hanger acting as an antenna.

witchdoctorlee
Unregistered guest
Pepe Rodriguez,
Try to find zip code closest to you from Brownsville/Harlingen/McAllen Texas with yahoo.com Map or www.usps.gov zip code lookup. Then enter that to the website I mentioned.
I was able to catch HD stations that are 20+ miles away with a coat hanger acting as an antenna.

Thomas Frieder,
you replied to comments made on picture quality problems with my 62" DLP HDTV Mitsubishi when using a Sony dvd player non-progresive scan hooked-up via Monster component vs Toshiba 5970 hooked-up via Monster Ultra 800 HDMI cable .... you say I must have something not set properly...the question is what??? ... any recomendations would be appreciated, ... the only one movie I did see an exponential improvement on certain seens, was Troy with Bratt Pitt, like the seen when he is at the shore with his mother discussing over should he go to war or not, the water, the sky, the rocks around them were alive !!, but when I tested Close movie recorded on Superbit, movie with Julia Roberts, I did not see any difference between Sony player non-progressive scan vs Toshiba HDMI 5970, that is why I think upconversion is not true, both the Toshiba player and the TV have this upconversion function, and I sincerly don't see it.

Witchdoctlee,
I'll try out the websites you recommend to find the proper antena, then I'll go buy the antena and I'll let you know how it went. ... thanks.

Can anybody recommend an HDMI DVD Player that does the real-real-real upconversion, the Toshiba 5970 HDMI player using a Monster Ultra 800 cable I bought @ BB for $149 is a peice of crap, I have another Sony DVD Player non-progressive scan player connected via Component cables to same TV and no difference in video images played on a Mitsubishi DLP HDTV ... recommendations would be appreciated.

Tom, thanks for the recommendations regarding getting HD channels via satellite receiver using a relative mailing address, this does mean, I will have to install the satellite antenna and receiver myself, because the directTV techs don't come over the border to do installations in Mexico, no problem, I can do this ... here go some questions, hope you can answer them, or if anybody can help, aprreciated:
1.-)how many HDTV channels direcTV offer and what the cost is ?
2.-) does directTV carry a receiver with HDMI or DVI output ?
3.-) my Mitsubishi HDTV DLP only has 1 HDMI imput, if I already have it used by the DVD player (which I plan to change the player brand, but will keep the using the same imput), is there something out in the market like an HDMI "Hub" where you can connect several HDMI sources into the hub and then one HDMI cable going from the hub out to the TV ?

Username: Larry_nskt

Does anyone try DVD+R on Pansonic S97S or new Toshiba SD5980 players. I am looking for upconversion DVD player with HDMI and read a lot discusion about 4 models available from Samsung, Sony, Toshiba and Panasonic. I lean toward Panasonic S97S but it seem does not play DVD+R format. Any idea can help will be appreciated.

Post Number: 9
Larry, do not waist you well earned money on this marketing scam of DVD Players that do upconversion, non that I have tried (Samsung and Toshiba) do any upconversion of any kind, I connected both of them once at a time via an HDMI Ultra 800 from Monster cable @ $149 bought @ Best Buy, to a Mitsubishi 62" DLP HDTV, no upconversion of any kind did I see ever.
The only good thing that HDMI is good for is copy-protection, Hollywood came up with this so that when you transmited the video signal from you HD Converter box to you TV, it would not allow you to record anything, learn from others that made the mistake of going out and spending money on this upconversion crap.

Username: Arwin

I'm trying the unlock code with a Toshiba SD-5980. Can not get it to work... Can someone clarify please?

-open the tray [The player should be on or off by now?]
-type 2403960 (each time you press a digit button
you'll see a cursor advancing on the screen) [I dont see any cursor... What is this exactly?]
-press enter to cycle to region 9 [No clues. Maybe when i get to this point...]
-close the tray [Should i have a dvd inside? does it make any difference?]
-turn the player off

Thanks!
-turn it back on

Orange County, CA

Well, first off the code is fo the 5970 so it may not work at all, hence the problems you're having...

But assuming you want to try it anyway or you mistyped the model you're trying to hack:

Player On
Open Tray (Empty)
Type 2403960 with the number buttons
A _ will appear in the upper left hand corner in the screen and will advance as you press buttons so that you're left with _______ after you're done typing.
As you hit the last key in the sequence a number 1 will appear in the upper right hand side of the screen. Press the Enter key and it will cycle 1 then 2, then 3, etc. Quit pressing buttons when you get to 9.
Close the Tray (Empty here again)
Turn the Player off
Then turn it back on and test...

Remember if the cursor doesn't appear as soon as you type the 2 then the hack doesn't work so don't waste too much time. There are 5970 owners that claim that it doesn't work for their units so it may be BIOS rev related.

Username: Arwin

Thanks Jeff for your post.

I know this is for 5970 but i wanted to try anyway.
Well, it does not seems to work. I even repeated to start with all other numbers. No sign of the cursor.

Just moved to the US and now all my dvds dont work anymore... :-(

Username: Bobsacameno

I'm wondering whether some of you have seen the problem of a picture "pixelating" (i.e. the picture "breaks apart" into squares and rectangles"). I have a Toshiba SD5970 hooked up to my JVC 52Z575 directly thru HDMI. It doesn't happen on every DVD nor on every "fast moving" sequence. I'm wondering whether it's something with the DVD player, TV or just the DVD itself. I don't have HD programming so this is only for DVD viewing

Thanks.

Anonymous

Hi,

All of a sudden my brand new Toshiba SD-5970 DVD player will not send out a signal through it's HDMI output cable. I can get a signal from the component RGB but not the HDMI. I have the switch on the front of the DVD player set to HDMI but it's just not sending out a signal for some reason.

I have it connected to a brand new In Focus SP4805 projector with an HDMI>M1 adapter through the projector's digital input. It worked fine until last night when I tried to watch a movie. I narrowed it down to the DVD player because I hooked up my HDTV through the same port on the projector and it works fine.

What am I overlooking? Is it the DVD player itself, the HDMI cable that came with it, or the M1 adapter? The adapter is brand new so I don't see why such a simply part wouldn't work after working a day prior.

Please let me know asap by email, I won't be on this board often, thank you for your time,
Weston Boucher
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us