Archive through March 01, 2010

Username: Mombasa00

CA US

Post Number: 4
Thanks Steve. Once again, you have done a fabulous job with the site. Every minute detail is covered. Wow!

Now, checking the number of hours is scary..."Accessing the service menu could render your TV non-functional if you make incorrect entries"

Username: Bjorks007

Post Number: 2
Nice Job Steve with the site , now im suspecting more that optical box causing that very soft yellow stain on black font on my KF50WE620

Username: Kalnitz

Oak Park, IL USA

Post Number: 1
Hello all:

I just wanted to write to thank all of your for the tips I got from this site, which proved no end of help in dealing with Sony. Here is my quick story.

Bought a 42WE610 in March of 2004 and it worked reasonably well until December of 2009, when the blue blob began to become visible and grow on the screen. I checked the internet for reports of this problem ans soon found this and other sites discussing it and finally found Sony's own website acknowledging the issue as well. Thankfully, when I opened up the front of the TV, I also had the warped lamp door problem because as most of you know my set is already out of Sony's "super-secret" extended warranty for just the optical block issue, but the warped door issue was still under warranty.

Anyway, long story short, after the service tech said it could not be fixed and 6 weeks of back and forth with Sony, and with the help of the tips I gained from this and other sites, I rejected all of Sony's offers until they sent out a refurbished 46V5100. I see that this set may have some issues as well, but I took the offer because I have a big Super Bowl party every year and "B.Y.O.T.V." did not sound like a lot of fun. The set was delivered yesterday, and so far so good.

One thing, because of Sony's delay in getting out the refurbished TV, they extended my warranty out to 6 months. You all may want to be aware of that in dealing with Sony in the future.

So, again I want to thank all of you for your help. Sorry for all of you who are having less success dealing with Sony and who are out of the extended warranty period, as I know I would be TICKED if my set started acting up in two months after my extended warranty (one that I did not even know existed) was up.

Now, anyone know what I should do with my "blue" 42WE610??!!

Username: Jhernandez86

Culver City, California Usa

Post Number: 5
Sell it on ebay for parts. I have a KDF60XBR950, and I need to take to a dumpster since here in Southern California a tv is considered hazardous material. I also have the stand that goes with this model and I am not sure if they will be able to take, but I will take it anyway.

Good luck, and thank you for the notice of the 6 month warranty extencion. I too took the offer and I am still waiting. I am still on week one. How long did they take?

Post Number: 6
Update:

The offer for a replacement was a KDL52V500 "NEW" @ $600 +Tax
and a KDL52V500 "Refurbish & 90 day parts and labor" for free.

I call customer relations today to get an update on my refurbish tv, and was told that they were still verifying my serial number. Once you accept any of their offers, they ask you to sent the registration tag on the back of the tv for verification.

I was not please with the delay, and ask to speak with a supervisor.

Long story short, I was able to get the free refurbish tv with a year parts and labor guaranty .

Nonetheless, this story is not over until the tv gets to my house, and I finally decided if it is in good conditions " no scratches, or sound issues".

I will keep you posted.

Bronze Member
Username: Simply_bill

Post Number: 26
Were these problem sets also (KDL52V500 "Refurbish & 90 day parts and labor") ? They seem to have a crap load of them to send out. Not a good sign if they are only offering a 90 day warranty. It means that lots and lots of these sets died in the first year under warranty, they were so bad they had to give new sets to replace them, they slapped in the same part and are now dumping them on more customers to replace their defective sets. I see a pattern here

Silver Member
Username: Slinke

Post Number: 129
And charging $600 for a one-year warranty? That is crazy. It does not inspire much confidence in the 91-365 day time frame, let alone the >365 day time frame.

Post Number: 7
Correction, Sony claims that the $600 charge was for a brand new KDL-52V500 and one year parts and labor. The model in question is know to have some sound issues and is not capable to decode OTA Dolby 5.1 sound.

Like I say before, this is far from over. If this model shows up with a scratch, I will sent it back and head to small claims court. I do need to build a case, and Sony did offer a free replacement. Not comparable to my RPT 60", but they did offer, so I have to follow through in good faith.

Wish me luck.

Username: Stoicdude

Hey guys, just wanted to add to this.
I have a KDF42WE655 which was bought in January 2005.
Around 2008 I started noticing small pink dots on white backgrounds and did an internet search and found some of Steve Linke's suggestions/ problems as well as others talking about it.

I took the TV apart and with compressed air cleaned out the optical block screens and the problem went away.

Last month I got the blue roadmapping issue and started doing even more research. I saw that there was an issue with the lamp door and after I took the lamp door off, I noticed that the door was melted on the inside and some of the plastics close to the door were melted as well.

I called Sony and they gave me a number for a local repair shop that would work on the TV. The shop came and picked up the TV and stated that they were aware of the optical block problems and the door.

A week later I received a call from the local shop and they said that Sony will not cover the OB and the repair would be $1200. They returned the TV to me and when I took it apart again, I noticed that they didn't even fix the lamp door.
I tried to dust out the blue LCD screen in the OB again, but the roadmapping is still there.

A day later I received an e-mail from Sony with 3 sets to choose from:
KDL55EX500 $825
KDL46VE4 $525
KDL40Z5100 $440

I have to see what I will do about this. My family has owned a bunch of Sony TVs and most of them are over 10 years old and still working without a problem.
This is the only TV that is having problems.
I ll keep you updated about the issue.

Username: Nasaman

Simply Bill.
That is a hideously wrong assumption on your part that can prevent someone from gaining a valuable savings. Having spent 30 years in engineering and close to manufacturing, I only purchase refurbished sets. I've done so from Samsung, Sony and LG. The refurbished sets are sometimes simply carton damage in transit, refused shipments, etc. Very rarely are they failures and I have never received anything with cosmetic damage; nor a failed set. What I have seen are great savings. You certainly seem highly angry and do not have a factual based argument.
Jose makes sense. Accept it, see what the condition is and go from there.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Brian, if I put a new Optical Block aka "REFURBISH" my Sony 55" Wega without a scratch on it, is it really any better? Would you buy it?

Why if these sets are just slightly blemished or refused shipments would they only offer a 90 day warranty on the workings? Is there a problem with their packaging because they seem be offering a lot of these "refurbed" set?

Jose wait a week or two. After the super bowl the prices will drop again. Plus Consumer Reports television issue comes out in March. Your best option may just be stopping throwing your money down the Sony well.

Bronze Member
Username: Lisamcgu

Post Number: 57
StoicDude - When my OB started going, my tv started having problems with the lamp door as well. My tv was under a recall for the door and my tv repairman talked to their tech people instead of me talking to cust svc (who's bs I could no longer take) and he got Sony to fix the OB as well.

I had absolutely no interest in having a new tv. I liked my tv and just wanted it repaired and it turned out for me that Sony paid for it all. The key was not dealing with their cust svc. The tech guys are obviously way more knowledgeable. Have you checked to see if your tv is part of an extended recall for that door? They won't tell you, even though you are on the phone with them and they have the info on your tv right there in front of them!

If there is still a recall, which there might well be, they have to fix at least the door, and while that is being done, perhaps your repairman can talk to their tech guys about fixing the OB as well. If they did it for another customer (me), I believe they need a really good reason not to do it for you as well. If they won't and you decide to go to Court, that would be another point they would need to explain. As far as Court, Sony is 0 - 4 . They have lost each and every time, so that is an option for you as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
Brian May - whaaat? If a tv is simply "carton damage" it is called open box or display or such. If it is a "refused shipment" it isn't called anything, it is still new and sold as such. Even if the tv is dented or scratched, it will say just that. Refurbished means there has been a failure that has been repaired, however not always is the cause of the failure repaired, just the affected part. With this common scenario, a repeat failure is a given.

With this, to accept a refurbished tv with only a 90 day warranty would be risky to say the least. Maybe if it had the same warranty as a new one, and it was an exceptional price ... but still, with the cost of repairing a tv nowadays, that would eat up your savings in just one repair. And what it takes to move a larger set for that repair, it just wouldn't be worth, IMO.

Bill, you should do some research before you direct people to do anything. You are speaking from uninformed opinion which really does not offer help. You know what some say about opinions? If you have something factual to share with Jose or myself, please do so.

Post Number: 8
I used to work for a Sony entertainment division, and that is how I ended up buying a Sony TV. I did have a chance to talk to the people on the electronic side and got a rundown of how their inventory works.

Sony comes up with a new tv models each year. The KDL52V500 was last year model, and if you were to go to best buy now, you will see this model being put on the clearing list. If by a certain day best buy is not able to sell the model, they will ship it back to Sony, and Sony can no longer sell it as brand new item.

This point is not for argument since this is Sony's internal policy. Sony also has retail stores, and that is were you are going to see a great deal of refurbish products.

Refurbish or reconstruct tvs are items return by either customers or retail stores, and yes some of this tv have had repairs done on it. This perticular model is know to have sound issues, but sony claims that the fix is just a software upgrade.

Botton line is that yes, the refurbish product may be either a repair or just a brand new item that was discontinue to make room for the new models.

Now, as a consumer, I will probably go with the new model just to get a peace of mind. Nonetheless, a refurbish product can be a great saving opportunity.

However, in my case the unsettling issue I had was the original offer of only 90 days parts and labor warranty. But, this issue was correct by adding the one your extended warranty.

At this point, Sony is acting in good faith by offering a replacement at no cost with a one year warranty. Now, I can put all sorts of arguments as wether the replacement is comparable to my original tv. But, that is a decision that only I can make.

In reality, my wife was putting a great deal of pressure to sell my rear projection and get an LCD or Plasma. So from my point of view, I just made my wife happy, and I did not spent a penny on this transaction.

Nonetheless, my final decision will be when the replacement tv gets here. I will make sure that it works and has no scratches, otherwise, small claims here I go.

Hope this makes sense.

Post Number: 3
Perfect sense Jose. Again, I was hoping to gain some facts and insights here and Bill seemed to be offering none; you have. Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Brian, What the point in arguing with the old guy yelling at the kids to keep off his grass?

Just a quick observation. With all of your fantastic luck with your refurbed TV's, why are you constantly posting on a website for people with TV problems?

No need to answer because I really don't care.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
Bill - I have gained alot of good insight from the advise and opinions on this Board, and hope to gain more in the future. It is obvious to most you did not literally mean for anyone to do exactly as you said and nothing else, knowing we are all gathering info, opinions and advise to choose what we all want to do. I found your advise very helpful.

Brian - Personally, I find your very opinionated posts are stated in a way that is meant more to inflame than to be helpful. Perhaps, you might think of how you come across before you share anymore.

Unfortunately, mocking my age isn't very productive. You too will be old someday.

Post Number: 9
Guys, many of us are getting better offers from Sony due to forums like this one. Opinions are great, but the objective here is to get and give information, and gain knowledge. Thank you all for your opinions, and experiences with Sony's defective products.

Because of all of you, many of us are getting better offers. The discussions and decisions may not bring a consensus, but all the ideas flowing around in this forum are great for discussions.

Keep it civil, and thank you all.

Username: Tajoki

Indiana

I am also a Wega blue haze and stars owner. I have a KDF50WE655 that has developed some of the same problems that I have been reading about. I contacted Sony a couple of weeks ago about the problem. I was offered about the same as everyone else, $350 towards repair or sony store. I told the sony rep. that this was not acceptable and that they would be hearing from me. I am considering small claims court.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Sony tried to keep us all in the dark. With the HUGE Toyota recall I think Sony has to be worried even more about their image. Before they could keep this quiet because everyone was afraid to lose their advertising dollars. That's what Toyota thought. As the word spread it makes it even more difficult for Sony to tell people they are the one to trust on really expensive 3D TV.

Anyone who hasn't yet, join our page on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-Have-a-Defective-Sony-TV/182875766612?ref=ts

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
For those pursuing a lawsuit, the "implied warranty of merchantability" is a good primary legal argument. However, the closely related "implied warranty of fitness" is an additional argument that can be made. For the "merchantability" warranty, you can argue that the TV contains latent defects that prevent it from being able to serve its central intended purpose--accurately displaying high-definition video. For the "fitness" warranty, you can argue that the capabilities of the TV were misrepresented in marketing material or verbal claims by sales people.

As far as marketing material is concerned, somebody recently sent me some scans of old "Sony Style" magazines. Here is an incredible passage from the Fall-Winter 2005 issue:

"THE FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH - USER-REPLACEABLE UHP LAMP. In the past, the gradual loss of picture quality was just part of owning a TV. Once the picture got to a point where it was unwatchable, the TV was replaced and the process started over. Sony recognizes the investment in time and money that a TV represents. That is the reason that Grand WEGA comes with an ingenious user-replaceable UHP lamp. After countless hours of enjoyment, simply replace the lamp and your Grand WEGA is as good as the day you bought it. In fact, with Sony's renowned quality, Grand WEGA may be the last TV you ever own."

I could make several observations about this marketing statement, but I think it speaks for itself. The last sentence might be particularly useful in court when presenting estimates of TV lifespan to a judge.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Steve - Are you able to make a scan of the front of that mag and the page with the quote and put it on your site for those that would like to download them and make copies for the Court? Thanks, Lisa

I don't know if this will help anybody, but I took apart my OB last night in order to try to fix my blue roadmapping issue.

I wanted to clean the blue LCD panel and filters, because I thought that the Blue LCD was the issue, since I have blue road mapping.

After I cleaned the filter, I couldn't see any spots on my blue LCD part, so I inspected the other ones.

I saw the same "fingerprint" mark on the RED LCD that resembles the blue roadmappingthat appears on the screen.

The "fingerprint" mark was not reachable by any cleaning media, because it appeared to be floating between the front and the back of the RED LCD.

If you shine a light into the red LCD filter, it appears blue. I assume that the LCD itself developed "cracks" and is letting the blue light through.

I hope that it makes sense or that it can help somebody.

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
StoicDude,

If you could provide the following things, I would greatly appreciate it. If not, no worries:
1. TV model number.
2. Number of hours of usage on the LCD panel.
3. The part and serial numbers from the ribbon cable on each of your three panels.
4. A digital photo of the LCD panel with the mark on it. It can be challenging to get a focused, properly lit image. You might try the "macro" setting for close-up pictures and various lighting conditions.

lisa,
I am working on the web site thing. That was my plan. I just have to consider a few things first.

Hey Steve,
Model number is KDF42WE655
I don't know how many hours I have on the TV/ LCD panel. I picked up the TV in January of 2005.

I put the TV back together yesterday and will update you with the other numbers if I open it again, but for now here are the numbers of the ribbon of the red LCD: LCX043AUB2437176P.

I wanted to take a picture of the spot on the LCD panel, but the red panel has the cooling fan extension on the same side, which blocks a direct shot. I didn't try to take a picture, but it was hard to spot to begin with, because you really had to hold it at an angle. The spot on the LCD is inverted compared to the spot on the TV.
Spot on the TV is top left corner, LCD is bottom right.

Username: Down445

Yuba City, CA Usa

Add me to the list. I also have a wega 50 and 2 years ago I had the blue spots. My tv was under extended warranty. But when the tech came out he said that the light engine was under a special warranty and it was replaced. The was march of 08 nine months before the secret warranty expired. Now 2 years later the spots are back....My extended warranty is no longer good. has expired. What are my recourses since I had it replaced once already / any help would be appreciated....

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
lisa, I posted the marketing material on my web site. See this Expected lifespan of a rear-projection liquid crystal TV section.

StoicDude, thanks for the information.

Ray, I assume you have a 2004 Grand WEGA 3LCD model (WE655, WF655, or XS955 series). With two failures and a replacement under Sony's extended optical block warranty, you are a great candidate for a favorable settlement. I recommend going to my web site (link above--scroll to the top). There are many options, including filing a small claims lawsuit. I also live in California, and the law here is on your side.

Your double failure also makes you a great resource for other customers to show that the TVs cannot be repaired, as the replacement parts have the same defects as the originals. Feel free to contact me at the email address on my web site.

Username: Kevin_mcl

Another one here. I purchased a KF-50200A in Jan 2007. Just started getting a thick band of red discoloration at the top of the screen. (i also got the replace lamp message about 10 days before the band appeared). Unfortunately, i ordered and received the new lamp the day AFTER i read about the optical block issue. ($200 on e-bay) I have yet to install it, I am not quite sure if the band was caused by the degeneration of the lamp or not, but the timing is suspect.

I have just started my dealings with Sony Canada, but having read a large portion of this discussion (GREAT Info People, thank you) I feel i can guess what i should expect.

I would like to link this support message from the sony Canada site however. It SEEMS to indicate that Sony Canada will pay for the repairs in full. - http://www.sony.ca/view/707.htm

However, after reading here, i have no intention of accepting a repair of faulty tech, using the same tech. As i understand it, Sony never remedied the problem with their LCD rear projection tech, knowing they would be moving into true LCD Flats shortly.

Username: Homebrewer66

WOW
I Finially got a call from Sony in response to my latest letter. Duane called and asked if I would accept the first offer. I was shocked that they did not give me more options since in my letter I stated that I would not accept anything close to that. I all could say was I will proceed to small claims court.

http://dontbuysony.wordpress.com/

Username: Homebrewer66

I guess Sony closed my case. I got an email with a survey asking what I thought about the service of Sony support. I let them know my true feelings.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
The Wall Street Journal did a story to about how Toyota handled their defect problem. You can take the story and change the name to Sony without much work.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704820904575055733096312238.html?m od=WSJ_hpp_LEADNewsCollection

Email the reporter and tell her your story. kate.linebaugh@wsj.com

Post Number: 10
Update:

The wait is to long. I called Sony's Customer service to see the update on the refurbish KDL-52V5100, and was told that they were still working on it, and it will take an additional two weeks to have this settle. I did some additional checks on the model in question, and came very disappointed with the results.

At this point, I requested to speak with the regional office to let them know that even though I accepted their offer, I was not happy with the reviews.

The rep was nice, and was willing to listen to my concern with no argument. He acknowledge my concern and asked to wait and see if he can do something about it. A couple of minutes later he came back with a refurbish KDL-52W5100 and a year parts and labor guarantee.

It is a refurbish item and is also 8" smaller than by 60". Not to mention my split P&P "Picture and Picture. Is the KDL-52W5100 refurbish tv comparable to my 60" WEGA? We can all argue on this, but the question is still the same. Sony produce a defected product and was not willing to acknowledge it.

It took this board, and several disgruntled customers to see some positive response.

If the replacement product pass my inspection, I will take it and call it a day. But, do not stop fighting for your rights and do not settle for less. Continue to fight for what you think is a fair response.

I will keep you posted on this outcome.

I figured I would take the offer from Sony.
They offered me 3 TVs:
KDL40Z5100 $440
KDL46VE5 $525
KDL55EX500 $825

I ended up taking the 40Z5100 and calling it a day. I tried to get a 46Z5100 and pay a bit more, but they said what they offered was final.

Although I was satisfied with my 42WE655 performance (picture, sound, etc) the blue roadmapping was an issue.

If my current TV didn't break down, I wouldn't have looked for a new one, but I thought that Sony made me a good offer.
I thought about small claims, but I don't think that I would have gotten much, considering how much time and money I would have to put in.

Good luck with all your cases.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
It seems that we have driven Sony to the point where they are actually not making a profit off the handling of the Wega defect problem. That is a big change from them asking for $1300 to swap one defective part for another defective part a month ago.

You know that if we weren't making noise they would be offering us nothing and billing us for it. It is O.K. because in 5 years all people will remember of Sony and Toyota was they sold crap products and got caught.

Username: Jbwingz

Another similar story...this one from Canada.

I bought a KF50WE620 from Sears Canada in late 2005. Early last summer, after just 3.5 years of use I noticed the Optical Block symptoms as described here and on Steve Linke's site. They steadily got worse & worse so I contacted Sony Canada last month who were very cooperative and understanding and asked me to submit didgital photos in an email to them. I emailed them the pix per their request along with another complaint....I'm on my 3rd replacement lamp after just a little over 4 years of use.

I received a settlement offer for a new KDL-52VL150 for $750 +13% tax....delivery included....and a 1 year warranty.

I countered yesterday with a request for a bit better price and a longer warranty offer. Now I'm waiting for a response to my "counter-offer".

Does anyone else have a similar "counter-offer" story?? ...if so any success?

Does anyone know if a KDL-52VL150 is a decent product and if their above offer is a good deal or not?

thx

Username: Jongohlke

I wrote a detailed letter to Sony Corporate in FL, and received the following offer:

KDL55EX500 $925.00+local sales tax
KDL46VE5 $625.00+local sales tax
KDL40Z5100 $540.00+local sales tax

Seems they added a hundred on to the price offered to StoicDude. If they allow me to use the 24 months no interest as offered on the Sony Style site, I may take the KDL55EX500, as their offering is $964.99 off the list price, which is probably close to what I could get it I took them to court. They say if I take the offer, it means I agree to release and hold Sony harmless of any and all claims for damages, loss, cost, expense or liability both known and unknown, which I may have incurred in connection with the television. I guess they know they're in a lot of legal trouble with this.

Username: Donnag

Pgh, PA

just got of the phone with Sony re: kds-R50XBR1 bad optical block and they offered us the KDL46VE5 for free or the KDL55EX500 for $225.00
not sure which is the better set. Anyone know?

Username: Cyadmark

Ann Arbor, MI United States

donnag, what number/department did you call?

Jon Gohlke, just a heads up, you can't use the Sony card for this purchase. I was thinking about doing the same thing and getting the 55, but they told me it has to be a debit or credit card.

Also, Sony is making these offers on a case by case basis. It would be crazy to think that I, who bought a KDF42WE655, would get the same offer as somebody who bought a 60 XBR1.

I also tried asking Sony to pay a bit more to get a different model, but they were dead set on the offer. I could have taken a chance of not accepting anything and kept on complaining and maybe could have gotten something else, or they could have just said that since I declined the initial offer I am out of luck.

I thought that the 40Z5100 was a good deal and my current TV is only 41" diagonal.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
The 40Z5100 is the upgrade model from the 40W5100. I think that the only difference is that the Z has a 10 bit board as opposed to an 8 bit.
and is 240mh instead of 120.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/KDL46z5100_mksp.pdf.

Good News,

I just got my refurbish KDL-52W5100 from sony two weeks after I mailed to back sticker.

It looks great, with no scratches, and now time will tell if this was a good decision on my part.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Steve thank you for all the information and research.

Many times consumers great the short stick of the draw, but with boards like this, we can all united and fight together.

I am taking the deal they offer because in my particular situation, we were going to get rid off the old tv anyway. Their offer was better than the outcome we were expecting.

But this may not be the case for all you.

So only you can decide what it's a good deal for you.

Nonetheless, thank you all for all the information and perseverance.

I hope this turns in to a good decision on my part.

Wish me luck.

Username: Jfaaborg

My demand letter's 30 day time limit is up. I will be filing my claim on Tuesday. I'm basing my suit on the latent defect in the OB, and the limited time I have had my TV based on the 20 yr life expectancy

Username: Anthony_s

I'm having problems with my TV as well. It is a Sony Grand Wega (KDF-60XS955) purchased in December 2004. Starting on 2/10/10, the TV has the yellow squiggly lines / marks on the top center portion of the screen.

After reading this forum & Steve's "Sony LCD Rear Projection TV Problems" page, I contacted Sony chat & then called customer service. So far I have not received an acceptable offer (they started to offer me a discount on a new tv, however I cut them off & stated that would not be acceptable). Tomorrow I am supposed to get a call from their Customer Relations department. Anything less than Sony fixing my TV at no cost to me will be unacceptable.

I have been purchasing Sony products for many years for myself(TVs, cameras, car stereos, etc...) & numerous products for my company including Cameras, camcorders, & computer software (ie. Sony Movie Studio).

I am persistant & expect a proper resolution, we'll see what they have to say tomorrow.

Here's a picture (taken with a Sony camera, lol) of my yellow spot on the screen:
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
It looks like the scribble defect. Unless it is an artifact of the picture, it appears you also have blue haze in the lower-middle part of your screen. Both are indicative of failed LCD panels--perhaps two of them.

the background of the screen I took the picture of is white, I think the blue you are seeing is either from the camera or the lighting as I haven't noticied it on screen.

The scribble defect is part of failed LCD panels you say, is that the same as the optical block problems?

Do you believe my problem is related to the known manufacturing defects that are mentioned here?

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
Yes, the scribble defect in the LCD panel is one of many optical block failures. There was a warranty extension for that problem, which has since expired. See my web site (look for "scribble"):
http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/

Username: Donnag

Pgh, PA

Chuck,
I got the number from this website http://www.sonysxrdtvclassaction.com/main/XBR1Stlmt.sfx
the number was 866-850-8674

Username: Sonysux

So I wrote a demand letter and sent it to Sony Ft Myers....Thanks Steve for the letter on your website....I edited it to my particular situation and info....My OB went bad for the second time on my KDF-55WF655. Sony called and they are offering me the same deal as Stoicdude:
KDL40Z5100 $440
KDL46VE5 $525
KDL55EX500 $825

I might just take it.....a 55" for $825.....I don't see them giving me a much better offer without going to court. I just don't have the time to spend on this. I just hate the idea of giving them more of my hard earned money....such a dilemma

Username: Sonnietv

I also had a grand wega KDF-60XS955 with the blue blob. I purchased it 4 1/2 years ago for almost $4000. I've sent letters and talked to Sony. Their initial offer was $325 towards repair or a new TV from the Sony webb site. Today they called and offered $525 towards repair or I could choose between a few TV's at a discounted price. The largest was the KDL55EX500 for $825 plus tax. I could also wait until March where they would have some other sets to choose from. Is anybody getting better offers?

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
The better offers are only made after filing a small claims lawsuit, which doesn't take a great deal of effort. The best results have been achieved by not accepting the offers and going through with the trial, which takes a bit more effort, although not a huge amount.

I think the KDL55EX500 is a relatively new model, so the street price has not really settled in yet. I would speculate that $825 represents about $400-$600 below Sony's cost, although that is only a rough guess.

Username: Mjm4088

I'm sorry if this question has already been answered, but I continue to see so many folks with different models of Sony Rear Projection LCD TV's with the blue blob/star issue. Is it confirmed or reasonable to assume that the optical blocks in all Sony rear projection LCD televisions with this issue are the same design/model? I.E. Is the optical block the same unit regardless of which model Sony rear projection LCD tv? I'm asking this because I haven't read into the class action lawsuits that much, mainly because my model is different from those included in the lawsuits, but there was a statement from a Sony attorney in court that the plaintiff had no right to reference another case that addressed another model television; I'd like to clarify that the same poorly designed optical block was used in all, if not most models, of the rear projection LCD tv's so that I can reference all the lawsuits filed against Sony concerning this issue when I go to court. Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Barbblack

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 52
I believe there are two optical block technologies used by the Sony RP LCD TVs: one for the Wegas and one for the SXRD sets. All optical blocks of both technologies are of a defective design. Steve Linke describes this quite well on his website.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/137540.html
For my small claims case I'm printing out all the emails and forum posts (with pictures) from people who have the same complaints with the same model Wega as mine.

Thanks Barbara - I wasn't sure. I've looked at Steve's site many times, I must have overlooked that fact. Thanks for clarifying. That's a good idea! My court date is 3/3, so I'm just starting to put together my presentation and will most likely include the same. Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
Mike M, which model do you have?

KDF-60WF655

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
Mike M, your KDF-60WF655 is a 2004 "3LCD" model. Your optical block is virtually identical, if not identical, to the one in my 2004 "3LCD" KDF-55WF655. Therefore, you can cite my small claims lawsuit. In addition, the other 2004 "3LCD" models (WE655 and XS955), as well as the 2003 "3LCD" models (WE610 and XBR950) are also virtually identical, so you can cite the Narine KF-50WE610 small claims lawsuit.

As far as the class action lawsuits, the only 3LCD suit of which I am aware is the pending action on the 2005 A10 and A20 models. The optical blocks may be a bit different in these models, but the basic design is the same (particularly the A20s), and they fail with the same types of problems.

A Sony attorney suggested in the Narine small claims trial that Ms. Narine had no right to speak about any Sony TV models other than her own, including the class-action lawsuits, which are for other models. However, a Sony attorney saying that does not make it a fact. I included that tidbit in my description of the trial so that others would be ready for it. If the Sony representative at your case does bring it up, I would suggest requesting that the judge asks them what the difference is between the optical blocks in the various 2003 and 2004 3LCD models, and, if there is a substantial difference, why do they all fail with identical discoloration issues.

You can state that your model had a warranty extension on the optical block for the exact problem you experienced. You can state that others with your exact model and closely related models have had failures of both their original and replacement optical blocks. You can say that every 2003-2007 liquid crystal rear-projection model produced by Sony has had a warranty extension, a class-action lawsuit, or both for discoloration issues. The judge may put more weight on the evidence on our family of models (WF655s), but the rest helps show a pattern of defects, and you have every right to mention it.

In fact, Ms. Narine ended up with a $1,700 judgment in her favor, so I don't think it hurt her to mention the widespread failures of similar models.

I got my call from the Customer Relations department today & after a few minutes was transfered to another rep. (Scott - who claimed he was the highest level of escalation). He offered the same as Customer Service & Customer Relations, a reduced price for a new flat panel TV. As I did with the previous departments, he didn't get the amount of the offer out of his mouth before I was quite clear with him that me buying a new tv wasn't what i was interested in. He claimed he would leave the offer on the table for 7 days. He admitted that my TV has an optical block that prematurely fails, however he said the time has long since expired where Sony would fix it. He also said Sony was not willing to repair the TV because the price of repair is more than a new TV. Guess its time I look into my Consumer Protection Laws.

I found it very interesting that after giving them the serial # of my tv they asked where I purchased it, as I purchased it in a different state than I now live in.

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 53
Best of luck with your hearing, Mike M. You will undoubtedly hear from someone from Sony before your trial who will give you a lowball offer and try to get you to settle. Part of the settlement will be a requirement that you keep silent about the negotiations and relinquish any further claims against Sony. They really don't want any more small claims court losses (they are starting to mount up), so they might be more willing to make better offers just to keep you out of court. Please keep us all posted. (My case comes up on April 6th.)
Barb

Interesting Barb.

Well my court date is now 2 weeks away - if Sony wants to make a better offer, they had better hurry. I'm so tired of having to watch my sad TV become worse everyday, it's essentially unwatchable at this point and I've had to watch my 32" LG instead. Sony has just really stuck it to us and themselves for this terrible product they sold. I can't believe they're sacrificing loyal customers to just save some bucks - In the end it won't work out too well for them. And to think that the bad economy has something to do with their decision not to own up to this issue to save bucks is not really true - I was in Best Buy and Brandsmart last weekend, and I swear that flat screen TV's are taking over all electronics retailers floor space....and there was barely any room to walk around in the store, people in my opinion are at a frenzy scooping up LCD's as the prices continue to fall. I can't wait to get my next Samsung/LG large screen TV - the led LCD's look good!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
Steve - Thanks for that "in a nutshell" post. One of your best, and there are many. Judges often give their verdict later, after reading over the material left with them. What paperwork is left with them is almost as important as what is said during the hearing. Putting Steve's statement on the first page of a stack of papers and copies left with the Judge, first thing, at the very top in bold, would start the Judge on the right mindset. "Every 2003-2007 liquid crystal rear-projection model produced by Sony has had a warranty extension, a class-action lawsuit, or both for discoloration issues."

If given along with copies of the ads promoting the long life of Sony's LCDs and copies of Sony patents filed in an attempt to solve the tvs overheating problem BEFORE THE FACT, a Judge will appreciate getting the whole picture presented so quickly and concisely. After those three things, then copies of the facts and research presented on Steve's site and recall info from Sony's site, the top of the ecoustics site showing all the closed threads and what they total, some posts which sum up the upset Sony has been causing, and even the Facebook page and YouTube page to show how widespread and well known the problem is. With all this, even though all these cases have been in sm claims and not for punitive damages, a Judge can't help but get the sense of fraud that prevails, and everything Sony states in their paperwork, or which he reviews they said during the trial, will be looked at as the avoidance and lies they are.

Steve, I haven't checked. Do you have the copies of the ads up on your site yet? Also, would you have the links to get copies of those patents, or are they up as well?

Thanks again for all you have done for everyone.

Username: Jjhawksjj

What would be great for all of us who are contemplating (or are already in progress) small claims court is a template of exactly what is needed to win in court. If this template was available and all you had to do was change some items to make it presentable for your own TV it would make it SO easy for everyone to file a case and bring Sony down. You would have to think then that after "x" number of small claims case losses that Sony would publicly come out and make some sort of restitution to all who purchased these poorly made LCD TV's.

Silver Member

Post Number: 138
I put the pages from the Sony Style magazines HERE.

Links to four Sony patents can be found under the "Attachments" heading on the same page as above.

My lawsuit can be used as a sort of template. It can be found on THIS PAGE. I have not had time to write up a separate template on that page, although that was my intent.

Username: Sbret00

Corona, CA United States

I too have a KDF-42WE655 purchased in 7/2005 (manufactured in 9/2004) and got the same denials from SONY customer service as everyone else when I first contacted them early last year. I have been watching here to see if eventually SONY will acquiesce a bit and offer up an alternative that is welcome by all. As for the offers that they have been making to avoid a potential small claims court lawsuit, are these TVs new or are they the refurbished ones that are also listed on their web site?

Thanks to all of you, and in particular Steve L., for your enduring efforts on all of our behalves.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
I think they ran out of refurbs. They are giving discounts on new sets now. We seem to have shot their plan of deny, delay and deceive right out of the water.

Bill

http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-Have-a-Defective-Sony-TV/182875766612?ref=nf

Username: Figster

Ca.

Please Help!! Anyone. I have a Sony Mod# KDSR50XBR1 bought in Apr.6th 2006 with Best Buy's ext. warrant. After 2 year & 5 mounths Yellowing in top right corner. Called B.B. they sent me to Geek Squad. They sent out a tec. not the Geek Sq. but a local repair serv. Befor he made it out my TV made a big pop & shut off. Repair person showed up told him what the problem was, they took the TV on 12-11-08. Returned it on 2-23-09 Fixed the Q Box & Power Supple, siad they were related. Yellowing still there. Called back, picked up TV againg 1 week later, repaced Light Eng. (or) the LCD what ever it's called. Returned it on 3-30-09.Worked ok color still not right. On 12-1-09 TV will not turn on, it flashes red 6 times. Call again. Then the TV came on for a short time, then a big poping sound again no work. Light bulb went out. Warrrant said they will only replace it 1 time, if it happens again it's on me. Came out fixed it again, So now TV will not turn on at all & flashes green all the time. Call again, sending someone out. I asked for a replacement. No good. What should I do? Should I jump on the lawsuit? Did they replace the light Eng. with one that will go bad in 2 years? What should I do ?

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 54
The blinking lights are usually signs of problems with the light bulbs. And, yes, the optical block will probably fail in the same amount of time as your first. Sony won't give you an offer for light bulb issues, and your optical block has not failed yet for the second time. You're kind of between a rock and a hard place. Definitely sounds like you got a mega-lemon.

Good one Barb!!!!

Username: Webbl

Michigan

I have been following this site for many months...great site! I am looking for some advice. I have a grand wega 42we610. My problem is that it started having issues turning on. I thought that the lamp was going bad, however when I researched how to fix it the warning lights didn't match for a bad lamp. That's when I discovered this site and found out that I may have other issues. I called Sony about a year ago April and asked them if they had an extended warranty for my model TV...they said no. After further research I found that there was an extended warranty for melting of the lamp door. I took my TV apart and that is what I had. I then called Sony back, explained my issue. They gave me a number for a local Sony tech. As soon as he opened up the TV he said Sony will not fix it because the base was also melted. He said they would call me in a few days with a buy-out offer. I did pay for the service call, however Sony has reimbursed me for it. I finally had to call Sony and they offered me the standard TV's that I could purchase at a discount. I was appalled and I let them know it. I informed them that I already purchased a defective TV from them and I would not be giving them more money and secondly I informed them that if they had not noticed, the economy is very poor and I didn't have the money to buy a new TV anyway. Finally, after many phone calls they offered me a refurbished model kdl46v5100 at no charge with a 9 month warranty. I feel victimized. As a consumer I purchased a TV that should last 20 years. They sold defective TV's and there offers are really only benefiting Sony. I have thought about small claims, I am in Michigan, however I am not sure I have a case because they did offer a refurbished TV. I am looking for any advice. My TV has not been workable since 12/30/09...should I take the refurbished TV...is it a fair offer...or go to small claims.

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
Linda, since Sony offered you a free replacement that is larger than your current TV, I think that might be interpreted as a fulfillment of their warranty obligation (even though it is refurbished). If I were you, I would feel good about the fact that you used the information available to you to compel Sony to make a fair offer rather than forcing you to pay extra, as they have with so many others, and accept the replacement. The final decision is yours, though. Nice work.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Hi Linda, the final decision is yours, but two weeks ago, I received a KDL-52W5100 refurbish tv as a replacement for my 60" rear projection.
So far so good, and Sony game the option to purchase an additional 3 year extended warranty for $160.

My wife is really happy, she hated the older tv, and I do see the new tv as an upgrade, and the fact that I did not have to pay a dime for it, made it a reasonable offer.

World of advise, push to see if you can get a KDL-46W5100 instead, it is a better model. Next time you call, asked them to transfer you to their regional office, and tell them that the reviews on the V model are not good, and you want a different model.

Username: Down445

Yuba City, CA Usa

Well I wrote my letter to sony about the block and told them it had been repared once and in 2 years it is going out again and that it was replaced with a defective part like the one that went out. They called me in less then 2 weeks.They did not offer a fix but offered me 3 deals for a new tv.
40 inch kdl40z5100 for 440.00
46 inch kdl46ve5 for 525.00
55 inch kdl55ex500 for 825.00
I checked on these and it is about 50% off the purchase price. He gave me 1 week to make up my mind. I think If they agree to cover shipping I might take the offer for the 46 inch. Really advanced technology compared to my grand wega 50 inch I have now.......

Username: Nnazim

Those are not 50% off. They are 50% off the sony inflated prices.

Username: Todd_d

Fri Feb 19th at 12:01 Sony sent me the same word for word ultimatum. I don't want to give them any more money either. Besides I think the plasma TVs are better than what Sony is offering.

Username: Nnazim

Here is a 120Hz 47" Sharp LCD for $699 from dell
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A3136031&cs=19&c=us&l= en&ST=lc47sb57ut&dgc=ST&cid=45050&lid=1195389&acd=72670,8,0,89776802,756897098,1 267024392,,20104401,3424752094
model: LC47SB57UT
So please dont let Sony/Phony fool you yet again!

Username: Jsbcuz423

Steve, thanks for the template for small claims. I decided to file a small claim. Had the court date this past week for my KDF-60WF655. File for $3000 claim based on 75% of my purchase price and an estimated 20 year life expectancy. The Sony rep and I settled the case outside in the hallway, when we reviewed each other's evidence. I just handed him your entire template package and talked to him a little bit about the defective optical block. He offered me $1000 at first to fix the TV, but I didn't go for it. I asked for $1500 so I can get a new TV elsewhere, and he jumped on it immediately. We filled out the a paperwork and let the judge know we resolved the claim at $1500. I should be getting my check by April 7th. I appreciate all the help and information on this site.

Post Number: 9
That's great news, Joel! Congratulations! Can you tell us the name of the Sony rep? I'm surprised they didn't force you to remain quiet about things after agreeing to a settlement. Way to go!

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 55
Wow, Joel, that's FANTASTIC! Could you tell me what state you filed in? Was the Sony rep a lawyer? Since you've published your settlement, may we assume that Sony did *not* require you to keep silent as part of the agreement? (That would be huge!) Enjoy your new non-Sony TV!

Where would we be without Steve Linke and the massive comprehensive research and documentation he has published to enlighten us all in our quest for "satisfaction" from Sony? This is yet another feather in your cap, Steve!

Username: Jsbcuz423

I'm in California. The rep wasn't a lawyer, he was just some guy from their quality assurance dept. He didn't bring much with him either. He just brought a print out of my attempts to settle the issue with their customer service. All we signed was the template small claims settlement form at the court and he just filled in the blanks to state they'd pay me $1500 by March 30th. The judge extended to April 7th, so I'm just waiting for my check. The guy didn't mention anything about keeping silent. He also forgot to put the return of the TV in the paperwork, but I agreed verbally. I have no problem returning the TV if they pick it up. It saves me the trouble of throwing it out.

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
Joel, congratulations on your settlement. I'm glad Sony and you were able to reach an agreement with which both parties were satisfied! If possible, could you contact me at the email address listed at the top of my web site HERE? I would like to communicate a bit further with you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
ATTENTION all owners of models KF-42WE610, KF-50WE610, KF-60WE610, KDF-60XBR950, KDF-70XBR950, KF-42WE620, KF-50WE620, KDF-42WE655, and KDF-50WE655:

This is a reminder that your TV has a known failure related to lamp overheating, causing warping, melting, scorching, cracking, etc. of the lamp door and other adjacent parts in the TV. This can eventually render your TV inoperable, and it could be a safety issue.

Sony USA and Sony Canada have alerts for the problem, but they expire soon (March 31st, 2010). So, I recommend that all owners take a look at their lamp doors (go through the procedure you would do to replace the lamp without actually unplugging it). If there is any sign of warping, melting, scorching, cracking, etc. on the lamp door itself or any surrounding parts, you should report it to Sony before the deadline expires. It may already have happened, but you are unaware of it.

Please see my post in AVSForum for more details.

And see my Sony TV Problems Web Site for additional information.

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 56
Wow, Joel! You really had a "wonderful" experience...for going to court! (Unlike many states, In CA, lawyers are not allowed in SC court.) Yours is the first case I've heard of where Sony offered a reasonable settlement, required no non-disclosure agreement and then picked up the defective set.
For those of you in California with defective Wegas who haven't filed a small claims suit yet, I have only one question: What are you waiting for?

Good one Barb!

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
Brian, what model of TV do you have and what kind of problems are you having with it? What state are you in?

Username: Caddis

I have a KDFE50A10 which developed the blue lines a few weeks ago. Discovered Steve's site via AVS and spent several hours reading through everything last night. Called Sony today and started out with "I think my optical block is bad" which lead them right into "what colors are you seeing on your screen." Nice acknowledgement right out of the gate. Anyway, they offered me the following purchase prices for a new TV.

KDL55EX500 - $725
KDL46VE5 - $425
KDL40Z5100 - $340

I think I'll end up taking the offer for the 55 inch model. I purchased the TV in VA while living in WV however I just moved to AZ last week and I'm not sure that I could even file a small claims suit in this state.

Username: Kevin_mcl

An update on my dealings with Sony. I just received an offer from Sony Canada for my KF50E200A Optical Block issue. They are offering me a KDL52VL150 for $500 + Tax, Shipped to my door.

Sony Canada asked for Photos of my TV with the color distortion, Photos of the Serial number tag on the back of the TV. No Service tech, no Inspection. They did request a new picture of the Serial number due to it being a bit fuzzy. With the delay due to the fuzzy pic, the time it took them to send me an offer was just under 3 weeks.

I am satisfied with the offer (providing it includes a warranty on the new tv). I know the TV they are offering is not a high end TV, but the specs are still superior to my "old" (old being 37 months) rear projection. I found the model they offered on the Best Buy Canada site for $1999 - almost exactly what i paid for the first one.

I want to thank everyone ( especially Steve ) that worked so hard on this issue, court battles, research, and documentation. I fully realize that the fast and fair offer Sony gave me is completely due to folks like you who just refused to let them get away with it.

Cheers

Username: Taz3000

Hi everyone, I have been following this forum for couple of weeks now.
I've been through HELL with Sony for the past few months with two Optical Block failures and a warped lamp access door on my Wega KF-42WE610. I got as everyone else the same merry-go-round offers and denials from Sony.

Sony has been dishonest, deceptive and game player with me from the beginning.

I wish I had discovered this forum and Steve Linke's website earlier as I would never had my TV repaired and spent $804.00 out-of-pocket on Nov 1st 2009, to have my optical block replaced by a refurbished one that came with only a 90 warranty.

Out of luck, the recently replaced optical block has failed again on Feb 22nd 2010. I'm now out of warranty by only 3 weeks. I'm stuck with a non-usable TV and I don't want to spend another $1,110 to have it fixed again. The 2nd optical block failure demonstrated (as the previous one) the same problem: a bright white screen display. The only difference this time is the TV is shutting off by itself within minutes. Go Figure!

Not only that, I discovered (Thanks to Steve's website) on Feb 14th 2010, the lamp access door was warped. I contacted Sony and was told my TV set couldn't be repaired, because Sony no longer have the lower cabinet assembly to fix the warped lamp access door.

Like Linda, in her post of Feb 22nd, I was offered this time a free refurbished KDL46V5100 with 90 days warranty. But I really don't like this offer for the following reasons:
1. Its a used/refurbished TV and this is Sony's CHEAP least expensive series and the market value is $699 - On Sony Website it's valued @ $899.00
2. From all the negative experiences and reviews I've seen posted on this TV '" The Sony V and S series are known to be plagued with problems: Visual Problems (Red Flashing) and Audio dropouts' problems and others. Knowing this I am not interested in these Model Series as I don't want to get involved with endless service visits and exchanged TVs, etc.
3. The market value for a new KDLV5100 is $995 (At Amazon.com)

I have asked Sony on several occasions to provide me with a new TV replacement such as the 'Z' Series as the 'Z' series have corrected the issues found in the V and S series. Sony up to now has refused to revise their offers.
Here are the latest Sony's offers: (Offers valid thru March 12th 2010)

KDL55EX500 $925.00 +local sales tax
KDL46VE5 $625.00 +local sales tax
KDL40Z5100 $540.00 +local sales tax
KDLXBR9 $1500.00 +local sales tax
Refurbished KDL46V5100 at no cost

As everyone else I paid premium price for my 42WE610 ($2,850) Now, with the amount I spent ($804) to have it fixed couple months ago with a supposedly genuine refurbished Sony part, I feel my loss hard to swallow.

I'm not ready to give up that easily on this one. Last Friday I contacted Sony and got an extra 2 weeks extension on their offers, as I haven't decided as of yet which action I'll take but a small claim court action is in the loop. I've emailed my story to two TV Station in my area (Miami/Fort Lauderdale) and have some work in progress with a local Consumer Protection Agency.

Recap & transcripts of my dealings with Sony:

I bought my 42WE610 in December of 2003 (Manufactured 09/2003) and it worked fine until October of 2009 when the 1st optical block failed on (10/26/2009). I don't seem tough to have the blue blob/haze or discoloration issues as everyone else seemed to experience. When the 1st optical block failed, I got only a bright white screen with sound but no images. This issue was diagnosed by the Sony Authorized Repair Tech as an optical block failure.

I called Sony customer service '" my call was transferred to Sony Customers Relations. The rep Rachel I.D. CJY7, said Sony is well aware of the optical blocks issues on my model year TV but unfortunately I was passed the recall period. She said Sony can offer a very good 'substantial' discount off a brand new TV - a Bravia KDL46S5100, normally priced at $1,099 (on Sony's Website), this TV discounted at approximately $500/600 range. She said before going any further on this, I must get first from you an estimate breakdown of the repairs needed. The repair cost estimate totaled $1,113

When I got the repairs estimate, I called Sony back. I requested to speak with Rachel, the rep taking the call; Angela said it was not possible. She asked me my Ref# and after that the amounts of the repair estimate. I gave her $1,113.00.
She then said the only TV Sony can offer you at this time at a special price is a SONY Bravia KDL46VE5 priced at $1,999.00, for $1,175.00 + Taxes. I told her this is not what I was quoted yesterday by Rachel. Angela says she didn't see any notes from Rachel pertaining to what I was saying. I was furious, like I made this all up ' Angela keeps arguing the information I got yesterday was incorrect and the only model TV she could offer me today was a KDL46VE5. I told Angela why are you jacking up the price for this KDL46VE5 to $1,999.00 while on Sony Website it's offered at $1,599.00? I added that I can get this KDL46VE5 on the Web starting @ $1,118.88 where is the huge substantial savings here? Hello!

I told her I cannot afford to pay nearly $1,245 (w/taxes) for a new TV at this time. She said Ok if you can't afford the TV I just offered you Sony can issue an internal voucher credit to the Sony Auth Repair Shop for $300.00 to apply toward the estimated repair.

I said Angela, ok $300.00 credit on repairs was something to consider, but in the long run, I could end up in the same situation I'm in now a couple of months with this optical block failure mainly because the warranty on repairs is only good for 90 days. She said 'SIR', these are your only two options. I decided to go on with the repairs as this was the most economical way. A couple of days later I contacted Sony and I succeeded in getting an extra $100 from Sony towards the repairs.

Post Number: 10
Robert - I'm also in the Ft. Lauderdale area. My small claims court date is this upcoming Wednesday. I'll be sure to report back to everybody here regarding my outcome. I'm not sure we've had anybody in the state of FL go to small claims court yet, so I'm real anxious to get my ordeal over with. I'm in the same boat you are - blue dots all over my screen, and Sony just laughing at me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Good Luck Mike M. I'm in Orlando and my day is in April so I am hoping yours goes well. I am still amazed how Sony refuses to do anything. That is why I started the - I Have A Defective Sony TV on Facebook. So far we have 800 others with the same problem.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-Have-a-Defective-Sony-TV/182875766612?ref=ts

Username: Taz3000

Mike,
I was not sure either we've had anybody in Florida that have presented such a case to small claims. Great! This is encouraging me to do the same.
I realize the court process can be somewhat intimidating and time consuming for a lot of people but I guess in the case of Sony, it's the only way to go.
Q. Have you sent to Sony any letter of Appeal to Sony as recommended by Steve Linke?

Thanks so much for letting me know, and the best of luck to you this coming Wednesday

Robert
Pompano Beach

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 57
Wishing you a great settlement in court, Mike M. If they end up giving you an acceptable offer at the last minute to keep you out of the courtroom, don't let them force you to keep silent about it and give up your first amendment rights.

Barb

Thanks Barb!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Hey Robert - Yes, I did sent them a demand letter similar to Steve's. They actually called me about a week later with the same lame offer that they presented me the the first time I called them to report the issue. They're support organization is a mess. It's not like I didn't include the case # from my call. I included the offer in my demand letter and flat out rejected it. The phone call was went like they never even heard from me. So it didn't take me long to drive down to my regional Broward County courthouse and file my small claims suit.

In response to Barbara - I've got you on that one, I will flat out refuse to keep silent. The point of my claim is that they broke the law and won't own up to their responsibility - I fully intend to contribute to this community with my result as so many others have. Even the request to remain silent is an insult - Loyal customers such as myself(no longer) would never have a chance against them if online communities such as this one didn't exist. Thanks for the well wishes and look forward to reporting back here Wed. afternoon after my court appearance.

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 58
Mike M,
Delaying at the last minute is another of SEL's known tactics. If you aren't already planning to do so, you might want to check with the courthouse tomorrow to confirm that your hearing is still on schedule.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Will do - I haven't heard a peep from them since my filing back on Feb. 01. Figure Ft. Meyers is relatively close so they won't have a problem making an appearance. Thanks for the tip though.

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 59
Since there haven't been any reported results for small claims cases in Florida, it will be very useful for other Florida Wega owners to learn what happens at your hearing, Mike M.

In two recently settled cases In Massachusetts, the plaintiffs heard nothing from Sony until the day of their hearing. They were introducted to the Sony lawyer at the courthouse while waiting for their cases to be called. (One of the plaintiffs told me he thought he had won because Sony hadn't sent a representative...until the lawyer stood up and introduced himself.)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I would hope to negotiate beforehand, but either way is fine with me; I don't expect SEL to have any respect for little 'ol me given how they've treated all of us thus far. Glad to report back on the Florida outcome, I'm sure SEL is well versed in the views of the court systems state-by-state. South Florida is a very progressive region that relies on tourism, not so much big business. I supposed it all depends on the particular view point/politics of the judge. I for one am pretty darn confident of our stance against Sony. This is a wrong that must be corrected.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Update!!! I just received a call from SEL's attorney in Miami. They're very interested in settling before the hearing on Wed. I'm to fax them my receipt and based on the assumed life expectancy(They say 7, I said 12) they'll going to see if Sony will send me a check to make up the difference. I've only owned for 4 years. I'm going to fax them a copy and see what Sony will offer. At least they're talking days ahead of the hearing, not minutes before.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us