LCD/DLP TV: Sony vs Panasonic vs Samsung vs Hitachi

Hernan
Any thoughts on which of the following is best?

Sony KF50XBR800
Samsung HLN507W
Panasonic PT50LC13
Hitachi 50V500

I want to want the Sony (brainwashed by brand name power?), but the others seem to look better at the stores I've seen them in...

Anonymous
Well I like you wanted to want the Sony and after adutioning it I realized it is not ready for prime time. It is my benchmark for worst contrast ratio of any HDTV ready TV.I like the features of the TV but my entire family commented on how dark everything was. After tweaking it it improved but not enough to stop bugging me. I also auditioned various plasmas and eventually decided on the Samsung 5065 which is DLP based. All have their problems leading me to conclude that there are no 'really good' HDTVs only ones that are least objectionable. I'm convinced that we are still several years away from a decent HDTV (that is without some problem with 'rainbow effects', convergence, poor contrast, etc). I plan to sell my Samsung as soon as there is something better. Still waiting,... By the way, the reviews of magazines are worthless.

Derek
I second that. The Sony (and I usually like Sony TVs) XBR800 is the worst RPTV I have seen in years - very poor contrast (worse than the Toshiba 57" LCOS), poor pixle processing, flat color and relativly low brightness. I don't get why someone would buy except the cabinet lokks cool. This big CRT silver Sony's look much better. The Panasonic and the Hitachi's aren't bad either. The new Samsung DLP look even better to me because they don't have any convergence problems that all CRT RPTV have. It is very bright and hase VERY good color...

...there is a slight rainbow effect though.

Oh well.

Anonymous
Has any one had a problem with the Panasonic PT50LC13 as far as the noise the fan inside makes? It seem to be loud or noticable even at a volume setting of 20. I do like the picture quality, everything else is great.

Anonymous
Can anyone tell me which technology is better, LCD or DLP, and how do I avoid the famous "burn in" from video games and static images on my investment?

Anonymous
LCD has poor black levels and bad pixels. DLP has dithering, clay faces, and the rainbow effect (not seen by all). So neither technology is better, you just have to decide what you would rather put up with. If you buy either technology, you won't have to worry about burn in.

Anonymous
I just returned a Pioneer Pro (elite) 730 (64in) rear Projection. I hade it for 3 days and thought it was fuzzy. I have Satellite with S-Video connection. Now I have $5000.00 in my pocket Can any one tell me what the best tv for $5000.00 I can buy? 55in or bigger... or am I crazy for returning the Elite.

Thanks

Anonymous
Hi: I guess Im like everybody else but have narrowed the field to the Hitachi50V500 or the Panasonic PT50LC13-anybody any experience in comparing these 2 for the better picture quality and value-thanx

I recently purchased a little known 50" DLP Rear Projection HDTV from OptomaTV of Milpitas, Ca. It has a remarkable picture in HD and Digital and so-so for analog when using a HD cable box (not the fault of the TV). I compared its quality to the latest RCA Scenium & Samsung units, as well as to LCD unites from Panasonic & Sony. No contest! There is no dithering, clay faces, or rainbow effect with the OptomaTV...the unit comes with high-tech internal components to eliminate those unwanted effects. In HD and D, the picture is so clear, sharp, bright, you think you are live at a performance or sporting event. If you are seriously contemplating to purchase a fabulous HDTV technology, go to OptomaTV.com to learn more about the best DLP HDTV few have yet heard of. It won the Consmer Electronics Association Award of Excellence for design, technology and picture quality at their convention in January, #1 among 25 manufacturers. It's pricy...$4,995...but worth every penny. Yet, it's less than half the cost of a 50" plasma TV with better overall picture and sound...and only 14.8" deep at 90lbs. Give it a look!

Brian
Pioneer Elite !!!

You are crazy for returning that TV. I have a 710 (3 years old), and have installed Sony, Hitachi, Toshiba, Mitsu for clients and none come close. I would recommend tuning using a setup DVD. I like the one from AVIA, available on Amazon. Set convergence repetively in a couple of sittings at least a week apart (it is brain damage, I know). When you are done, performance is jaw dropping.

Anonymous
I agree Brian! I only have the 643HD5 - It's awesome too. I only paid $1999 at Costco, that guty could have $3000 in his pocket. I had a damaged 53" Pioneer unit for 3 years and Costco returned it without a question - got $3300 back 2 months ago.

I don't think the guy understands that non HD sinals wioll be fuzzy no matter what 16:9 tv You get!

How big is this Elite 643HD5?? And how deep is the cabinet? I am considering the Sony 42" LCD, one of the reasons being I need it to fit in a fairly small room & it is very shallow depth-wise. But I wasn't knocked out by the image in the store. I can get it for $2700, which is nearing my threshold of pain price-wise. So, is this Elite for me? What's the screen size & depth?

Anonymous
Dan,

Shop around and you should be able to get the 42" GWIII for cheaper than that.

Goldbug
I just got a Samsung DLP HLN507W (50") and am experiencing clay faces and major color archiving on close-up faces in standard mode (video 1) from my local std TV stations. I am hooked to a Dish Network 6000U satellite reciever using RCA video cables to the TV. Is this to be expected, a technical malfunction, or are there ways to get rid of this problem? The HDTV (component 1) is excellent but there are not enough HD stations available to justify the $4,000 I paid. I am ready to return this TV after a week, help!

Anonymous
Goldbug,

Clay faces is one of the problems with DLP. All technologies have problem areas, and you need to pick the problems that you can put up with.

Goldbug
You are right about picking my problems. The problem is I am not about to spend $4,000 for a HDTV that looks like %^&*#@$. It goes back to the store and I will wait until someone comes out with a true HDTV that will let you view analog. There are not enough HDTV stations out there yet to justify this problem. Do you know of that company that makes such a TV? I like the DLP concept over plasma and cost is no problem.

It is hard to find a store that has all of these tv that you can look at them side by side. I finally found one that had the Sony KF60we610, RCA HDLP61W151, Samsung HLN617W. I was originally leaning toward the Samsung but after looking at the picture of these 3 side by side the RCA and Sony appeard to have the better image. The black levels were better and both appeard to be sharper than the Samsung. When comparing the RCA DLP to the Sony LCD it appeard that the RCA had a better picture with better deatail. The Sony however had better color. I did not have time to adjust the sharpnes and color levels on them to see if this would make any difference.

Has anyone looked at these 3 TV's and seen which one has the better picture quality? The price on the Sony and RCA are the same but the Samsun is quite a bit more:
Sony KF60we610 $3899.00
RCA HDLP61W151 $3899.00
Samsung HLN617W $4499.00

Any advice is appreciated!!!

Please do not jump to conclusions about what Model looks better in the Store. Almost NO retailer has competent sales associates who know anything about Digital,HDTV or any of the newer technologies. MOST TV's are shipped from the factory with adjusted settings TOO HIGH - this is to cpmpensate for the Too Broight-Harsh ambient Lighting in the stores. HDTV's especially should be calibrated by a Certified HD Tech for optimum viewing. I cannot believe the comments that have been posted here. Digital-HDTV is NOT your Grandfather's Old NTSC-Analog... the technology is complex; and there has been immeasurable Mis/DisInformation given to the public resulting in even more confusion. Consumers HAVE to become INFORMED BEFORE BUYING today... If you someone who is about to buy any digital-HDTV have them check out " HDTVInfoPOrt.com " for some easy to understand "HDTV BASICS" and Buyers Guide- BEFORE they spend their money. This is an information site only - it sells nothing.

Anonymous
Hey Guys. Anyone who has a Sony LCD had any problems using DVI connection from DVD player to TV?

I have a new Sony KF-50WE610, and I just purchased the new Samsung DVI player (model# DVD-HD931). It's supposed to be the only dvd player out there that actually comes close to showing HD quality DVD's. See link: http://www.samsung.com/Products/DVDPlayer/Hypervision/DVDPlayer_Hypervision_DVD_HD931.htm

If the image is bright or if it's a scene in the movie that has alot of light, the image quality is highly detailed (almost HD). But when it has to render black levels it fails badly. Any shadows or dark scenes (night scenes), sometimes I can barely see the person in the picture. But when I switch over to the progressive mode and turn off the DVI mode, the picture looks great, even the black levels. Has anyone seen this problem? I'm about ready to send the player back. I spent $400 in hopes to utilize the DVI.

Let me know. Thanks!

I took a close look at Sony Grand Wega, Samsung DLPs, and Hitachi LCD this weekend. I was very surprised at what I found between the different manufacturers:

1. Sony 42 and 50-inch Grand Wega -- I wanted to like it soooo badly. A friend is a dealer and will give me a good deal on a set. He loves Sony... dislikes DLP a great deal due to reliability issues of 1st generation. Anyway... what I witnesses were poor blacks (lots of whitish in the black areas), screen dooring, unconvincing detail. I found the 42 and 50 inch models were exhibiting the same characteristics with HD signal, DVD progressive, or satellite dish. Graphics from Fox football were also fuzzy. Overall, Sony delivered the worst picture.

2. Hitachi LCD 50V500 -- I was impressesed. Side-by-side with the Sony the Hitachi ate it's lunch in every aspect. Blacks were better... but detail blew me away compared to Sony. I could see the screen door. but it was less detracting for some reason. Why is this TV not getting more press??? What I didn't like were the gray bars used for 4:3 viewing. Why did Hitachi do this? LCD does not burn in.

3. Samsung DLP 43 and 50-inch -- Hands down the best image of the bunch for any source. Period. Green hues were more evident in fleshtones than I would have preferred... I'm hoping these can be toned down. I stuck my ear by the base to hear the not-so-marevelous color wheel spinning away. That's not cool... I hate my PVR for making noise... now I may have two spinning tops in the living room.

Again, the Hitachi blew me away considering it bested the Sony's by a wide margin. Granted, these sets are in the store and who knows what the settings are. But sitting there, it was undeniable the Sony's did not make the cut. And again, I soooo wanted to like then.

I did not find my friendly sales person in Ultimate Electronics or CC to be in a wheeling and dealing mood. Posted price was it unless I showed up with a competitor ad.

So... questions I have are...

Who else has been checking out the Hitachi's, can the gray bars be elminated in 4:3 mode, and why is this TV not getting more play?

Where can I buy a Samsung or Hitachi for a low price... mail order is perfectly fine at this stage as I am not into playing too many haggle games. I would be interested in hearing recommendations for buying through internet.

Anonymous
This past weekend I decided that it was time to buy an HDTV so I took my wife and went to CC, BestBuy, GoddGuy, and Sears. We looked at:

Sony KF50WE610
Samsung HLN507W
Panasonic PT50LC13
Hitachi 50V500

By virtue of visiting 4 stores I was able to see the picture quality in different settings and had a good combination of side-by-side comparisons.

At the end of the exercise, I decided to buy the Panasonic. Why?

How the Picture looks: They all looked about the same to me. In some cases, the Panasonic looked better, in another, the Hitachi did but generally speaking they were fairly consistent. Sony and Samsung also lookeded good. At every store I looked for dead/stuck pixels on the LCD TVs. Did not see any at all.

Price: The Samsung is about $1k more than the others, and the others are about the same price. So, why pay about $1000 more for essentially the same picture.

Prior experience: I have three Sony's at home (not counting computer monitors) and they all suffer from one problem or another. The 46" RPTV is constantly going out of convergence after having been fixed by Sony four times. The tuner on the 27" doesn't work so I have to use a VCR as the tuner. And finally, the 13" has a dead spot on the screen. So, why give Sony more of my money?

Features: Most of them have basically the same features but only the Hitachi and the Panasonic have a PC card slot. The panosonic also has an SD card slot and PC input. The PC input, in particular, was important to me.

Looks: Liked the Samsung's simplicity the best followed by the Panasonic, then Hitachi and last Sony.

So - Panasonic is IT for me.

Anonymous
The Panny has the worst colors and most people would put it at the bottom of the list. The only good things about it are the number of inputs and it is computer friendly. What is important is what you see. If you want to see reviews by people that know what to look for, check out avsforum.

I'm looking for a thin 30"-34" tv for my bedroom to be used tabletop...eventually maybe on wall. I've been researching for many months. I'm debating between the technologies of lcd vs plasma vs dlp. I was interested in the Sony plasma KE32TS2, but it is basically unavailable in many retail stores. Even though it is smaller, one contender also is the 30"LCD Sony xbr tv. As I have a bad habit of leaving tvs on, it could be on about 18 hours a day. Sometimes I'm not in the room. Anyway with plasma, It will run out quickly. With the lcd a bulb is replaced after a certain amount of hours and back to new. I also understand plasma is a big energy eater, has burn in, fan noise, etc.

My problem is because I only can use a tv under 35", I'm torn.

I've also been told about a dlp. Don't know much about that
Any feedback would be appreciated.

cranny dane
I purchased a kf50we a month ago the picture seems blurry at times and the picture is just average at times an others the picture is spectacular...i know that the feed has alot to do with but i have also adjusted the different settings and it seems to help but i don't think i have it dialed in...can anyone give me some advise on how to adjust all the settings

DRNDAN
AFTER READING ALL THIS. I DON'T WHICH TO BUY?

Mary Lou
I am a 70 yr old grandma.....I am not a wiz in this department.....so HELP!! I am about to buy a 51" Sony HDTV. projection set. We have a local dealer who will set up & deliver.....$1699.....I live in a really remote area so this is important......I have Charter cable......want to watch the Packers & Lions on the split screen....will I be happy with this set????.....

Ali
i am in the process of buying a HDTV.
I am considering LCD TV from Sony as well as Samsung DLP 43 inch.
I don't know which one is a better choice.
I have been reading so much about DLP technology as well LCD Tech and now i don't know anymore which one i should go for.
can someone help and show me the light at the end of the tunnel?

Anonymous
Ali,

There is no perfect choice, so you need to decide which problems you can put up with. The Samsung costs more per size, has a green tint, clay faces, dithering, and shows SD poorer. The Sony has poorer black levels, stuck pixels (may or may not be seen from normal viewing distances), and can have a screen door effect. Take a look at both TV's in a store with the same source. Ask to see SD, HD, and DVD's.

HighTek
The Hitachi LCD's are fantastic. Give them a look at least for comparison. I wouldn't trade my 60V500 for any set out there.

Mary Lou all the crt sony projection tv's iv'e seen look great, I can't give you any particular info on the model your looking at without more info (model #) but i can tell you that i buy all of my high dollar electronics at circuit city or best buy because they are the easiest to deal with as far as exchanges, returns & problems of any sort that effect my purchase even if i decide that, hey i just changed my mind and don't want it! (as long as it's within 30 days).

justin
how come both DLP's at best buy, the samsung 43 and 50 have gray instead of black? there sony lcd projection had blacker blacks. i tried messing with the settings, no luck

Jay from CA
Does any one have any opinion on the new 70 inch Sony LCD (KDF-70XBR950) released a couple of weeks ago? How does it compare with the Samsung HLN617W DLP TV? I understand that the new Sony may have addressed some of the issues with black levels/pixels etc... Any input would be greatly appreciated.

ryan
I just saw the Samsung HLN617W at Ultimate electronics last night with a ture high def picture ran to it. It was absolutely amazing. The best HDTV picture I have seen so far.

I have yet to see any of the Sony's look really good at any store I've been to. Having said that, I've come to believe that you can't really judge most of these TV's by how they look in the store. For instance, the Samsung HLN507W looks like crap at Best Buy, but looks really good at Ultimate Electronics. The Panasonic PT50LC13
looked really good at BB, but not so great at UE. I think that if you get them home and tweak them, they will all look really good.

So for me I think it is going to come down to the technology and features. Do I want the downfalls of DLP or LCD? Price is also a deciding factor, as the DLPs are quite a bit more expensive than LCDs.

One of my big selling points is inputs accepted. The inputs on the Sonys and Hitachis are limited. You get a few s-video, only two component, and one DVI. The Samsung, Panny, and RCA give you an XGA input, which is important to me because I am building a HTPC to hook up to it. I could use the DVI input to hook up the PC, but I would like to use that for the cable box.

Right now I'm leaning towards LCD, but only for the price factor. If I could get the Samsung HLN507W for $2999 like some guy said he got it for in another post, I would have been all over it.

The other non-technical factor I have to consider is that my wife is an interior designer, so whatever I get has to be pretty. The Panny is going to be a hard sell because it is pretty ugly (well the base is anyway). In both of our opinions the Samsung is the best looking, with the Sony non-xbr (with the exception of the 70") coming in second. I haven't seen the RCA in person so I can not comment on it.

Image quality with ultra widescreen (2:35) DVDs on Samsung HLN617W.

OK here's the problem. I convinced my wife to drop the cash on the HLN617W and overall it has been great. Thanks to info here I was able to get Circuit City to drop there price significantly...so thanks!

Anyway, the image quality overall has been great with one glaring exception. When viewing older widescreen DVDs (2:35 Aspect) such as Abyss Special Addition or the Die Hard movies I am unable to get a clean picture when view in the wide (16:9) mode. When watching these DVDs in the "wide" aspect setting on my tv, I still have the black bars top and bottom like you would expect for 2:35, but the image has the same stretched look I get when watching a 4:3 image in 16:9 mode. If I change the aspect setting on the TV to "normal" (4:3) mode then the image is clean but is completely surrounded by the black bars. The DVD player is set for a 16:9 TV and I have viewed other 2:35 DVD's (Bugs Life) and they look fine. i am seriously hoping this is an error on my part and not an issue with the TV.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

marshfive
Just bought the 61" RCA DLP at BB. At least $1200 less than the Samsung 61" DLP with the 10% off a TV coupon from the sunday paper. I added the new samsung HD-DVD player connected through the DVI and get a great picture in 1080i, TV won't display the 720p input. Anybody know why??

Anonymous
I did my homework. I was waiting for Toshiba's 3 chip LCOS but heard that they were having production problems. Decided to get Samsung's DLP HLN617W at CC. That was a mistake. I didn't notice the "rainbows" in the store, but noticed them right away while watching the first DVD. I was able to get everyone else to see them (depending on the scene's lighting)too. Keeping your eyes trained on one spot on the screen eliminated the "rainbows", but there is 2400 sqaure inches of action. No way. During "Shrek" and other animation DVDs and bright scenes, the "rainbows" are hard to see. I then wanted to make some adjustments to the settings. To my surprise, no TINT control. I had sharpness, brightness, color and contrast but no TINT. The black bars that run across the top and bottom for scaled DVDs were not level, off by 3/8". Very distracting. "Film Mode" was not accessable. The overall image had a green hue especially during indoor scenes and faces looked terrible. Had to return the Samsung and exchanged it for my third choice, the Sony KF60WE610 LCD'er. Looked great in the store, but we shall see.

Rick
I had a Sony 50 LCD projection set in my home for 2 weeks. The picture and operation was stunning. HDnet at 1080i so clear you could reach out and touch it, however the power supply started acting up and I returned it. Brandsmart did not have any more Sonys in stock so I got the Hitachi 50V500A. Again a beautiful picture in high res and about the same quality. I paid about 2800 for both and I feel that either one is a good buy. FYI... If you buy any HDTV you really need a HD reciever, either sat or cable or air. Educate yourself before you buy. Learn about progressive scan, component and DVI connectors, needed for 720p and 1080i output.
Good luck

Max
I just comeback from the CC and BB. I was going to buy the Sony KF60WE610, it had best picture from all LCD to DLP tvs I saw so far.

But in the Circuit City today the Sony KF50WE610 looked really bad in comparison to the Samsung HLN507W. (they didn't have 60" but the screen should be pretty much the same.)

Sony's picture was much more blury and contrast, whites and blacks were worth in HDTV mode. In the analog mode they both were pretty bad.

I understand that store adjustments may be made in favor of the Samsung, but not that much.

All my tv's before were sony, and I was never disapointed although the cost was higher.

But this time I was confused, the Samsung was so much better. (everything else hitachi & rca were even worth then the Sony)

Truth is - I didn't buy Sony today :( and decided to do more research on Samsung.

According to the sales person the persentage of the screens with the "rainbow efect" is not high.
I didn't see it on the floor model as, and I didn't see the clay faces either.

Does anyone have a real statistics. I understand that people only write to the boards, if they have problems (and silently enjoy the product otherwise). Bu I would be really interested in the positive feedback about the Samsung.

I recently bought the Panasonic PT50LC13 and I am very pleased with the performance of it so far.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can get a the best ultimate picture quality from it?

For example: Video Settings on the set, Video Cables like Monster Cable or which is better, S-Video cables or Component Video cables, or is there an accessory out there that does this for you.

Any feedback or experience with this model would be helpful. Thanks

Number One,

How do you guys go to BB or CC and expect to get a competent answer??? Go there to find a good price for a commissioned salesperson to match.

I am of a dying breed of 80K+/year electronic salespeople. It is absolutely critical that I know what I am talking about, since I don't apply high pressure.

Best bet is to buy a CRT based rear projection set. They are not as cute, and not as slim, but 7-10 inches by 4-5 feet will not ruin your room, so chill out.

When a customer buys a DLP or LCD they are picking their poison. Screen door effects, blurry pictures, sports that digitize, you guys fall for it in the stores and buy these sets. I will not stop you. BUT
If you looked at a Mitsubishi 48613, or a 55813, or If you looked at the Hitachi sets, Pioneer has some overpriced sets, and if you could look at a Sony WV600 or 700 series sets you will notice that the blacks are blacker, the whites are as white, no screen door effects, and In a room by itself, HD looks awesome on these sets. Plus the LCD and DLP's are not as fully featured.

Dont fall for the girl with the big (eyes) know what I mean???? You are going to be with this woman for 5-10 years.. That is my two cents...

Anonymous
Heard a lot about the rainbows in DLP. Does anyone know if the new HD2 mustang chip used in the Samsung 567 has done away with the problem?

Anonymous
Goldbug,

Get rid of your analog signal and go strictly digital--it does better with that model.

Good luck!

Steve Oglebay
Everyone loves to say and use as a poor excuse that the XBR800 and other Sony models are not as good just because they can't afford the extra few $$$ for them.The DLP TV's are cheaper overall so all of the cheap azz's say they're the best. Plus NEVER believe the displays you see in stores. People may think sales people push more expensive sets, but the truth of the matter is tehy're better off pushing a cheaper set & saying it is superior just because of the better chance of getting a sale. I auditioned both the KF-60XBR800 & Panny DLP 52DL52 in my house for 30 days each. (And make note normally smaller sets pictures naturally look better) . After watching the exact same programs including mostly DVD's & HDTV the Sony is a good bit superior in every way. Better picture quality by a decently moderate margin. More reliable & longer lasting (replace bulb every 7 yrs for $100 yourself and the TV is brand new again) - and Sony sets of course have more advanced features. Just a bit of advise - never choose by what anyone says online or in a store. Even what you see in a store. Audition them in your own house and seeing is believing.

Steve

Username: Jurgen_in_al

Post Number: 1
I noticed alot of people here down the Sony LCD rear projection Televisions compared to other HDTV's but The one I saw in the store was superior in picture quality than the others and the picture looked great even from an angle while others deteriorated as you moved side to side. Meaning that if you buy a less expensive television you better hope that no one has to view it from an angle or they will miss out on the brightness and clarity. I purchased the Sony 50" LCD rear-projection and hope that the picture will be as good in my home as it was at Sears. Now this comparison is LCD vs CRT I do not know about DLP or LCOS.

Username: Rub_a_dub

I've been in the electronics business for a number of years and have learned a few things:
1: Never trust the picture in the stores. Signals are often split and connected using the weakest inputs and cables. Sets that look great will usually be on a direct feed to the best source (usually HD) and are often the one they want to sell that week.
2: Don't take the word of the sales associates as gold. They are there to earn a living, however they can. Sales often are based on bias, product availability (will sell what is in stock), and incentive (how much do I get for selling this).
3: Do your homework. I agree reviews are not always the best resource. There are plenty of sites that give informed information on products without bashing.
There are many sites I recommend to my clients to better understand technology and products: www.howthingswork.com for, well, how things work
Regarding the DVI input and the Samsung DVD player, we have to remember that regardless, these movies are all encoded in NTSC or analog. From what I have seen and heard, this input is for uncompressed HD signals (like HBO or Pay per View) from satellite. With a DVD player, the picture is similar to component cables.
The RCA HDLP50W151 and 61" version is probably the best because of what it offers. First, it has an ATSC tuner built in. If you live in an area that broadcasts HDTV over the air, you only need connect a pair of rabbit ears or an outdoor antenna to get local stations. It uses the Mustang 2 HD chip and a 6 color wheel to help eliminate the "rainbow effect" of the earlier generations. Plus it has tons of options to set up the picture that best suits your source. Their new bit processor system even makes regular cable look good. It even has a web browser built in for surfing the net. Really cool. www.rca.com
Oh, by the way, LCD Rear projection does burn in despite what they are claiming. I've seen it myself in a couple of stores. The market is now calling it "ghosting".

Username: Hitachi_guy

I have a second 50V500 because CC would not match a price and I have noticed in my second set that it is not as good a picture as the first, i.e. more pixelation, more pinkish hue on the whites, etc....do the settings on televisions vary that much (within the same model) that I should be able to notice this? The first set I had no calibration at all...do I need calibration on this or am I just crazy? I saved $350 but if my picture is like this I should spend the extra $ and get my first set back......help.......

Username: Chipmeister

I have narrowed down my search to either the Samsung HLN5065W or HLN507W versus the Sony KF50WE610. I have 2 questions. First, anyone know thw diff. between the 2 Samsung models. Most of the stores around here only carry the 5065. Second, I've found pluses in both the 5065 and the Sony. But, I'm told that while it's a matter of taste running the HD in the store, there is a huge diff. in the analog pictures between the two. I have seen some opinions that say the Sony has the best analog picture quality by far while others say it's the worst. Obviously this is confusing. Anyone have experience with this?

Username: Nelson_b

Post Number: 2
Chipmeister:

Internally the 5065 & the 507 are the same. The border on the 5065 is silver, the 507 has a dark border. I purchased the 507, but sent it back for the Sony KF60WE610. In 4:3 format I liked the 60" TV. In 4:3 format a 60" TV will provide a 50" picture. While a 50" TV in 4:3 format will provide a 40" picture. The 60" Sony was the same price as the 50" Samsung. Also, Sony has a much better PIP, and I believe a better picture for non HD. I did like the HD better on the Samsung, but HD picture quality on any of the new TVs is excellant. The Sony allows for labeling video inputs the Samsung does not. The Samsung has an input for a computer the Sony does not. Plus and minus for both. But 60 is better than 50 for the same price. Hope this helps.

Username: Allenw

Post Number: 5
You should at least get a calibration disc to set up almost any of the new sets, crt RP, LCD,etc.
Do this before you send the unit back to the store.
LCD Plasma, CRT, each has its good and bad points, you just have to pick what looks good to you.
Salespeople, I wouldn't trust any of them, use them for possible anwsers, but remember, they want to sell you something, its their job.

We just spend about 2 weeks looking at sets, we first decided on a Sony 36" CRT.
Liked the picture, but it was a 4:3 screen and we decided to go with the widescreen instead.

We next decided on the Toshiba 51HX83 CRT RP, this set had the best picture in its price tag.
It also streched a 4:3 to widescreen better than the others we looked at, and considering we use a cable hook up, this was important to us.

All this time we were looking, we kept coming back to the Sony RP LCD, we thought we liked this better than the Toshiba, when we asked about the set, seems our local stores are out of the 42 and 50" versions and there was a 2 to 4 week wait.
We then looked at other sets (several salepeople kept telling us that they had sets of other brands in stock and they were just as good, even though most looked rather poorly in the store)

But we did find one we though was even better than the Sony, and that was the Hitachi 50V500.
We thought the dreaded black problem wasn't there, the picture was better and best of all, it was in stock.
Which TV is better?
I kinda think it depends on who's eye's your looking though.
But for the wife and I, the Hitachi comes out on top.

Al

Unregistered guest
I own a Panasonic PT40LC12 LCD projection TV set. Ive owned it for about 1 yr. It is my second set as the first one was returned for a stuck green pixel. This set has developed another problem. I have started to notice that the image shows what appears to be large thumb prints (only way to describe them)that only show up when the picture is displaying black or dark scenes. I have cleaned the glass display, the lamp and the adjacent glass but i still have this problem. There are approximately 5 of these splotches and are really are a pain.

HAs anyone else noticed this and is there any cure? Maybe i need to clean a part of the set that i havnet figured out how to get into yet?

thnx

Pan Fan
Unregistered guest
I bought the Panasonic PT-50LC13. I did the same as all on this page. Sony looked real bad, I have never had anything Sony last, (another factor). Hitachi looked the same but it was not sold at Best Buy, Circuit City's Warranty was $500. I paid $249 for 5 years. Not to many seem to buy Hitachi, (will it last?). Panasonic VCR,Phone,DVD, all works great with 2 kids. Samsung was alot more, the same picture. Sounds like problems given time also. Samsung DVI Player has problems but not the TV right? I'm really happy with what I got! Thanks GOD! Purchase $2799 $300 gift card and no payment for 18 month, free delivery. Best Buy has always been good to me. Try getting a price ajustment at Cirtuit. Good Luck with what ever you think is best.

dubz
Unregistered guest
rub a dub, work for RCA? you must, because no one in there right mind would recommend any RCA product.

I work at one of the "larger" electronic retailers, say what you want, but i know a fair amount more than most people. you can't expect a part time salesman to know everything about everything, but its very rare i get a question i can't awnser. some don't know crap, there's a high turnover rate, and yes, our sales manager wants us to push high margin items, personally, i could care less about margin. id rather the customer be happy.

every rca we sell is J U N K. there RP's suck so bad, where on our 3rd ONE IN 3 months! our DLP sucks too, there's a reason why the 61 is cheaper than the 50" samsung, + it has a tuner. id rather spend that 3900 on a good RP with all the components than a bargain line "superior tech" tv. ever read consumer reports? RCA has about 4x more problems than just about every manufacturer. we even stopped carring them for a year because of the problems, you get what you pay for.

im also not very impressed with either of the 50" panasonic LCD's we've had, 1st one got sold, 2nd doesn't look any better, it replaced a demo grand wega, so its getting the exact source, still looks pixelated.

also, the screen door effect is really only a issue on plasma's. if your right smack in front of a dlp or lcd, you'll notice a very slight screen door effect, but the lines are gray, not black, making it a little less noticeable. i agree though, a dlp is supposed to show a perfect black, never seen any of the samsung or rca dlp's do this, we've went through about 6 of them as displays, adjust them all you want, always a little grey in them. whites are awesome though, dlp's produce amazing whites/yellows/light blues, somthing a RP can't do as well.

dubz
Unregistered guest
btw, when i said our dlp sucks, i was referring to the rca, not the samsung

dubz
Unregistered guest
also, to the person that said a dlp bulb is about $100, there in the $350 range, but easily replaceable

Joe Moe
Unregistered guest
Just want u all to know that i just bought the Panasonic PT-50LC13! I have read these report's & i have to say that I find this to be an AWESOME SET!!!! We don't have HDTV avalable here yet but we have Digital & this has an awesome pictureWell worth the $!!!! Time to leave now have to go watch the 50" screen!!!!
Joe

Anonymous

Have the Hitachi 50v500. Iam very pleased in all areas except one.
Live sporting events (basketball/football) in non hdtv are borderline unwatchable. Picture is grainy,distorted etc.
Bottom line, analog sporting event broadcasts,-----don't bother. Regular shows on analog channels are very acceptable.
Any one have any reccomendations for this ? Settings? etc.

Username: Jurgen_in_al

I bought the new Sony 50" LCD rear projection Television (KF-50WE610). I must say the picture is absolutely great. My cable company only offers digital cable and my picture still looks great. Better than my Tube television and on DVD the picture looks breath taking. All of this straight out of the box. I have heard that alot of these televisions have defective bulbs that burn out within a month... I have experienced no such problems. I have owned this television over 1 month now and have had no complaints. Hope it stays that way.

PanFan
Unregistered guest
Anonymous Post about the Hitachi 50v500. Sounds like there is something wrong with the set. All I get with my Panasonic 50 is analog off a outside antenna. The picture is great. I posted a few up and I have changed my mine since. The Hitachi works great from the start, and if it does not work your in for a world of hurt from all the posts on this site. Take some time and read under the tv section. Lot of complaints on the dlp I was thinking about buying also.
Notice there are no complaints about the Panasonic. And No I do not work for them. I'd take the Hic back.

Username: Neo08030

Hey rub a dub,

I don't know what you are talking about as far as the Lcd projection having "burn in", but it is virtually impossible. Lcd projection has three lcd panels overlaid atop of one another with one single light source being a lamp, kinda like a bulb you put in a living room lamp. "NO PHOSPHOR" which is the culprit behind "burn in" on standard projection tvs and plasma. Lcd and Dlp have no phosphor and are safe from this kind of consequence. I even talked to some well knowledged tv repair persons who have been fixin' tvs since u were in diapers, and they said that "burn in" can absolutely positively not occur. Anyone wish to contact me on this issue here is my address.neo_08030@webtv.net

detroit
Unregistered guest
I think I like the 43 Samsung DLP. It will fit the space I have without overwhelming the room.

Anonymous

ok, I need help.....DLP or LCD or CRT? I'm leaning toward LCD for price, and lack of info about DLP. Hitachi 50V500 or Panasonic PT50LC13?

Username: Markim

Post Number: 5
The Panasonic has only about 1/2 the adjustments and settings as Sony and the Hitachi has about 2 times the adjustments as Sony

Pembroke Pines
Unregistered guest
I'm in the somewhat unique position of having owned a Sony WE610, which I returned for a Samsung HLN6617W. I didn't return the Sony because of its performance, however. I returned it because the base juts out approx 4" from the front of the case and is not removable. I'm going to have a custom wall unit built and the designer couldn't work around the Sony's base. The Wega version of the TV has a movable base and would not have this issue. At any rate, I would not have exchanged it otherwise. However, now that I have the Samsung, I can tell you that the picture is moderately, but unequivocally superior to the Sony. If I had to quantify it, I'd break it down like this:

Contrast: 10% better than the Sony
Brightness (black level): 10-15% better than the Sony
Scaler/Scan Converter: 20-25% better than the Sony
Color: Sony 10% better than the Samsung
Resolution: Both are excellent. The edge goes to the Samsung.

The Samsung's performance with DVDs was the big surprise for me. DVDs have a beautiful filmlike appearance. The Sony does a good job with DVDs, but the Samsung wins that challenge hands down.

The black levels are definitely a step above the Sony. While not perfect, there is very, very good and handles dark and demanding scenes quite well. The Sony, by the way, was not as good out of the box. I had a serviceman adjust it. The lamp was one step below its maximum brightness and the color balance was off a bit. Once those were adjusted, I found a significant improvement over its out-of-the-box performance. I plan to get the Samsung adjusted in about a week. It's color balance is good, but not as good as the Sony's. I expect that will change once it's adjusted. Having purchased an extended warranty from Sound Advice/Tweeter, there is no charge for these service calls. They won't do a professional calibration, however. I wasn't happy with Sony's customer support. I wanted to use the DVI input with a computer. Sony was rude and told me that hooking up a computer to the TV would void the warranty. Many computers have DVI connectors for LCD displays. At any rate, the Samsung welcomes you to connect a computer through its VGA port or DVI port. In the end, I probably would not have switched the Sony for the Samsung because I was very pleased with the Sony and not seeking to make a change. Now, I'm glad I did.

Username: Dubz

Post Number: 34
the sony rep wasn't lieing, your computer has a dvi output, the tv has a input. physically they will connect, but they won't work together. there are many types of dvi connecters, and there not the same. maybe he thought you would somehow alter it??

im a firm believer in you get what you pay for, except bose.....you don't get whay you paid for :D.

the sony (when its working) is a awesome tv, especially at the price. but the samsung is slightly better in justy about every category, much better in reliability (not even using sony's bad results, DLP is generally a more reliable way to go) the sammy has a few glitches hopefully they'll get ironed out (like the component inputs). but its a awesome feature to have a RGB input (vga)

Pembroke Pines
Unregistered guest
My understanding of DVI is that there are 2 types: analog and digital. My PowerBook has a digital DVI output and the Sony has a digital DVI input. When I hooked them up, it worked, but the resolution was bizarre (something 1024 x 300. I probably needed a different cable configuration, but Sony was unwilling to even make an attempt to assist me.

I don't know if DLP is more reliable than LCD. I would think that the spinning color filter and the approx. 800,000 vibrating micromirros might have an impact on the reliability of DLP, but then again...

I wanted to compare the Samsung to the RCA Scenium, but the 60" was not available down here a couple of weeks ago, when I switched to the Samsung. But, if your remarks about RCA's reliability apply to the Scenium series, I'm better off with the Samsung, anyway.

As you noted, the Sony is an excellent value, especially at the price ($1,000 less than the Samsung). But, the Samsung has an undeniably slightly better picture in every way.

carmel indiana
Unregistered guest
Anyone looked at Gateway's DLP tv. I like the Samsung over RCA, but don't know about Gateway.

CJon HInkle
Unregistered guest
I need a new TV. It needs to fit in a 30" space. I suppose at this point in history, it should be HD.
About the only thing I've seen that will fit the space is a Mitsu LT-3020. I have an old Mitsu 23" CRT that has served me well, so I am favorably disposed to the company.
I am a complete novice when it comes to HD/Digital TV, so I have 2 questions.
1. Where should I go to learn?
2. Any thoughts on the Mitsu noted above?
Thanks, CJon

Username: Larry_d

Post Number: 18
CJon-
1. Here. A wealth of knowledge. You just have to tread through a bunch of threads. You can also try AVS Forum: www.avsforum.com
2. Don't know much about the Mitsu line. Sorry.

Pembroke Pines
Unregistered guest
For a HD TV 30" and smaller, I would strongly consider an LCD TV (not rear projection LCD). I've seen amazingly good pictures on some of these displays. Take a look at Westinghouse Digital's LCD line. They are reasonably priced (compared to the others) and excellent performers.

Username: Bruno

This new tech is new to me. Before I spend a ton of money on a TV I need a lot of understanding of
what to look for.
There is mention of screendoor effect and rainbow effect. What do these terms mean and how inportant are they?
Any info will be appreciated.

Username: Scoobs

screen door effect is the apparent appearance of thin gaps between the horizontal and vertical lines of resolution (pixels), making it look like you're watching your LCD through a screened door. i've noticed it on LCD front projectors with 80" screens or larger--but not on LCD rear projection TV's. at ten feet away, you won't see it unless you have eagle vision. besides, if i see it i'll just remove my glasses and everything will fuzz together anyway. LOL!!!!

rainbow effect supposedly happens in DLPs because of the color wheel...usually trailing a fast moving object from what i understand. i haven't seen it yet, but i crossed out the DLPs (samsungs) from wish list because of price and i noticed the 'ants' from 8ft. i was down to the sony 50" LCD pro, and the hitachi 50v500.

my ¢.02

after reading this maddening board :-), and driving myself into a needless fit, i dragged myself to a retailer this past saturday, and brought ATOC DVD. i watched the "city chase" sequence, the "asteroid field" sequence, and some "ani frolicking in the field" stuff for brightness. in the "city chase" and the "asteroid field" the blacks were beautifully rich (i just don't see the complaint with washed out color in the LCDs), the colors blew off the screen (i was in a light controlled environment with a 50" hitachi plasma above the 50v500 and the 50" pani LCD rear projection to the right). IMO, the skin tones on the hitachi smoked the other two. but it's all relative, the screens probably weren't calibrated. BUT!!!! the black levels were deeper and richer in the 50v500 compared to the other two, the brightness was better...yadda, yadda, yadda...

to me, the 50v500 just smoked the other two. the pani listed for $3000, the 50v500 for $3100, the plasma for $6500. on sunday, across the street at the competitor, i grabbed the hitachi 50v500 confidently for $2700 and didn't bat an eye.

watching ATOC and some hi-def TV was all it took. i've seen the sony many times at many different stores, loved the color, but for $3300, it wasn't worth it. I personally liked the LCD better than the DLPs. everyone's different. i did see some smudges on the hitachi, but nothing huge and bothersome. i was actually looking for it, and noticed it. if i wasn't looking for it, i probably wouldn't have seen it until the return policy date expired. LOL!!!!

my thoughts on this; listening to ted in san diego explain how the DLP is better than the LCD at Best buy, then listening to ralph in NYC explain how ted is retarded because the LCD is certainly better than the DLP at the wiz, is maddening. unless you're watching your TV through ralph's or ted's eyes, it won't really do you any good to get into the "which is better" debate. you may find you like a CRT rear projection better...for your own personal reasons.

in the end, when you're watching a movie, and the sound and story sucks you in, the image will the be last thing you worry about - especially when you find on a set that "works for you" personally.

read through the threads for problem areas to lookout for when you view a set: bad pixels (LCD), rainbow effect (DLP), screendoor effect (LCD), clay skintones (DLP), flat blacks (LCD), marching ants (DLP)...you have to go look for yourself. and don't stand on top of the TV, go back to 8 to 10 feet and watch.

as i said, i noticed a few smudges on the screen of the hitachi--i'll take my chances. if i'm not happy with it, i'll return it for another one. ...and another one, and another one, until the damn this is satisfactory.

that being said, i like the styling of the 50v500 better than the sony, the pani, or any DLP. not only does the hitachi (to me) feel like a bargain, it feels like a steal. the savings of $600 from the sony to the hitachi will pay for a damn fine bello stand. ;)

richard verlinda
Unregistered guest
Has anyone looked at the Gateway 56" DLP? It's much cheaper than the samsung and it's uses the same components.

What are marching ants?

Post Number: 4
the numerous times i veiwed the samsungs, i noticed 'marching ants' on the edges of objects. i'm not saying you'll see it, it's something i noticed. i didn't see it on the LCDs, or at the very least, it wasn't as noticable.

another thing i noticed, is what i guess i could call a "glittering effect" (which is perhaps why i'm noticing 'marching ants') in the image. to me the imagery seemed to sorta "shimmer?" like glitter at times, usually in the middle tones or transitional areas. regardless, the color didn't seem as pure as the LCDs.

these were nothing more than observations i noticed. again, you may not see any of it. ...much the sameway, some people don't see the deep black levels in the LCDs, but the blacks seemed excellent to my eyes.

trust your own eyes.

Post Number: 3
How important is calibration of projection TV's
& how often should it be done? Cost? Thanks

Username: Tookie

Did a lot of research - and got a lot of help from this board - and went with the Hitachi 50VX500. I took a leap of faith, as the presentation of the TV at CC was not good. Sitting side by side with the Panasonic, there was a disctinct difference in brightness and color saturation - advantage Panasonic. However, and this may be a bit misguided, the fact that I had to drive 90 miles to get one for Super Bowl made it that much easier to trust my research. Glad I did. Got the SB in HD and was blown away. People milling in and out of the house during the day literally had to sit down to deal with the reaction. Watched my first DVD last night and was again stunned by the picture. All this, and I have yet to find time to run the DVD setup disc I bought. As I've read a number of times, there is a noticable fan noise on start up - but it's about one-tenth of what you would hear from, say, a PlayStation 2. One thing I will mention that I haven't seen very often is the incredible quality of the sound. Not my intention to sell Hitachis here, but just to confirm that if that's the TV you've got your eye on, there's at least one REALLY happy owner. Oh, and if you're ordering sight-unseen, skip the TV stand. What a piece of crap that thing is.

Username: Hoops

I too labored over the choice of DLP vs. LCD. Considering the rapid pace at which the technology is changing, I decided to spend less now and wait till HDTV programming selection improved before dropping the big bucks. I looked at Sony, Panasonic, Hitachi and Samsung. After auditioning all four brands in a variety of lighting conditions, and various signal sources (HDTV, progressive scan DVD, digital and analog standard 4:3), the Hitachi 50 and 60 inch LCD's were the clear winners. Why? Better black levels and contrast, more accurate color/hue, sharper edges. But what really swung the decision was the flexibility Hitachi provides me to fine tune the picture and tweak each critical video element to deliver what "I" not Hitachi, perceive as real, accurate, and bordering on 3-dimensional. Hitachi has even thought of the little details such as a one button "day/night" adjustment to deal with the daily swing in ambient room light. With other brands, you either put up with your daytime setting at night, or fuss with the brightness and contrast levels daily when the sun sets. Hitachi's AV learning remote is a joy to use and, unlike Sony's, it actually makes life simpler when learning and interfacing with my other AV components. I finally have a remote that "does it all" and is fun to watch work on the on screen display.

Way to go Hitachi! You may not have the brand recognition Sony has, but you do have the product and my neighbors are envious.

Anonymous

I have been looking for a 50 or more inches rear projection HDTV. Got completrly lost reading reviews. I am ready to spend up to $2000. What is the best available now for this price? and what does "best" mean?

mynameisbrian
Unregistered guest
im a bit confused on which to buy. Apart from the visuals i've been told the following
LCD...lasts a long time. can be repaired but to replace the LCD chip it costs over 1000
Plasma...if it burns out its done
DLP...doesnt last as long as LCD, but only costs about 250 to have fixed.
The DLP that i saw and liked was the 50" samsung hln5065w. Any comments?

James C.
Unregistered guest
I purchased a Samsung 50" DLP (HLN5065W) about 3 weeks ago. I ended up paying only $2800 for it too, because I had Best Buy and ABC Warehouse doing a price match war that ended up benefitting me quite nicely. Anyway, I wanted to throw in my 2 cents on the Samsung DLP's and Samsung's customer service.

The first day I set up my Samsung, I was in love. Picture looks great. Spent the better part of the day calibrating the TV with my Avia DVD and was very satisfied. However, that night, we popped in a DVD movie (running at 480p using a component input). Everything looked awesome until we came to some scenes that had a dark background and some bright objects in the foreground. It was at the moment I noticed that, as my eye darts across the screen, I see the infamous "rainbow effect" in the area where the bright objects are. I tried recalibrating my TV using the Avia DVD, but it doesn't seem to make any difference in this regard. Even when I turned down the brightness so much so that 100% whites actually look gray, I still saw the rainbow effect whenever my eye moves across any image with great contrast between blacks and whites.

Funny thing is that my wife, while viewing the DLP right next to me, never notices any rainbow effect at all and only sees a great image. While I agree the image looks awesome, (best of any projection HDTV I've ever seen), I experience these rainbows so much so that it has become pretty annoying. The effect is most apparent to me when watching an HDTV program or a DVD movie. It isn't nearly as apparent when watching standard NTSC broadcasts, probably because the contrast ratio in NTSC isn't all that great to begin with. Also, watching the DLP at night exaggerates the rainbow effect more so than viewing in the day time.

Please keep this in mind if you are shopping for a DLP. It really does seem to be a genetic difference between inviduals as to whether or not you'll ever see the rainbow. Unfortunately, finding out whether or not you will be affected by the rainbow effect will be quite difficult, if you are only able to evaluate the units in a store. The bright lighting in stores will make the rainbow effect less apparent and oftentimes the video you view on them doesn't exactly have the best contrasts in them. In fact, in my recent visits to stores, I've had great difficulty noticing the rainbow effect on any Samsung DLP. Basically, I recommend you only buy a DLP from a store with a reasonable return policy, (without outrageous "restocking fees"). That way, you can try one out in your own home with proper lighting and decent source material. Make sure you get this guarantee from the store before you buy, because you never know if you'll be one of the few that DLP's affect.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This being said, I have to write a bit about Samsung customer service. I called Samsung a few days after I purchased the DLP. I told them what I was experiencing and they immediately arranged for a technician to come to my home the next day to see if he could tweak my set to lessen the effect. The tech guy came over and did some tweaks, but it ultimately didn't work all that well.

Now, here's the kicker. I found out that according to ABC Warehouse's return policy, I would have to pay a 25% restocking fee to return the TV. That sucked. I was beginning to feel like I'd just have to learn to live with it. However, last week, I received an unexpected call from someone at Samsung. She asked me if the technician had any success in lessening the rainbow effect. I told her that I still saw it frequently. She apologized and said that the rainbow effect can be a problem with their DLP's with certain individuals and was sorry to hear that I was one of them. Then she surprised me by saying that Samsung wanted me to be happy and offered to call the manager at the store I bought my Samsung at to arrange for a full refund. I told her that I'd appreciate it and she made it happen. I'm returning the DLP tomorrow. Apparently, Samsung is going to either buy the TV back outright or they're going to pay the store the "restocking fee" so that I won't have to. Either way, I'm getting 100% of my money back.

I am very impressed by what Samsung is doing for me. After all, it wasn't me who called them demanding a refund. They offered it to me out of the pure desire to keep good customer relations. Regardless of the troubles I experienced with their DLP, Samsung is one classy company. I only wish they had a rear projection LCD TV I could buy.

Anonymous

James, Samsung just developed their LCD rptv, though they sell it in Asia market. Hope they would sell it here in US soon. but then, LCoS may be mature enough . :-)

Post Number: 9
i had a chance to watch "attack of the clones" at best buy at noon today. the picture was beautiful, sharp, clear, colorful. it was the city chase scene i had watched on the hitachi a few weeks back.

there really isn't a bad picture in any of these technologies, IMO. they're pretty much even across the board when displaying HD or DVD content. when you finally get your set home, you're not going to have anything to compare it to anyway...except maybe an old CRT (like the 27" hitachi we're replacing). ...anything is a step up in that department. LOL!!!

i was told BB quit selling the sonys at all local stores, and went to a single regional seller because they were selling to many. they couldn't keep up with demand... does that make sense? they did note the light bulb problem, and said it may happen in the hitachi...has any hitachi owner run across this? i haven't heard of unexpected blowouts from the hitachi. at least not yet. the kid was trying to sway me to the sammy by saying the bulb will definitely outlast the LCD's. i didn't have the heart to say to him, "i already ordered the hitachi for $1300 less than your 50" sammy...but it sure looks nice. thanks anyway."

happy hunting fellas, whatever set you order, it's probably the right one.

PanFan
Unregistered guest
Just amazing! There is probably 30 or more negative comments on the Hitachi under Hitachi Review post. Analog tuner posts several times. Fan noise again and again. Hitachi admits the problem but say they don't care because they save money and there is not enough complaint. The stand is junk over and over.
CC former employee states they sell Hitachi because they make the most money off them. Buy cheap sell high. They are made with inferior parts (posted).

After all that people still buying them? Sure defeats the purpose of this site.

Post Number: 10
PF,

1) 30 negative comments about one TV, out of how many sold? go through and you'll read negative comments about EVERY dlp/lcd. pick one! price, color, black levels, ghosting, fan noise, bulbs burning out, crop circles, dithering...yadda yadda yadda.

1a) considering the numbers of 50v500s sold, perhaps it isn't as BIG of a deal as these forums make them out to be, and perhaps the problem doesn't blanket the entire line. of all the people who purchased a hitachi 50v500, how many of them have been to these forums? what percentage would you put on that? the people who are sticklers for their products, the hardcore end users, are the ones who come to these forums. they are probably overly critical of every nuance of their sets (videophiles). ...i'm one of those types of people to some degree. LOL!!!!

2) inferior parts? did the CC former employee personally assemble his hitachi sets in the store? did he compare them part for part to the sony or panny?

3) all company's buy cheap and sell high to suckers. that's how they make money and stay in business. whether it's a sony, samsung, RCA, hitachi, toshiba...

4) no one is obligated to buy the matching hitachi stand, they can get something else (bello?), there are other choices.

5) i've also heard a lot of positives about the set in this forum. but in the end, i went to the store and took the sets for a test drive. this forum provided me with the insight of things to be aware of when scoping these sets - nothing else. in the end, i found the hitachi to be the most pleasing to my eyes.

if i have problems, i'll be sure to post it here so we can keep the percentages of disastified hitachi customers high.

PanFan
Unregistered guest
READ 30 or MORE complaints. I started to count I gave up. Scoob1969 if you read a complanit on the Panasonic PT-50LC13 LCD let me know,(PLEASE). A post from a owner, not someone who doen't like the way in looks. Don't mention (msusser), sounds like some buddy screwing with he's set, (PT40LC12LCD).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
if you've read this thread: 4th post from the top...

Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 02:12 pm:
Has any one had a problem with the Panasonic PT50LC13 as far as the noise the fan inside makes? It seem to be loud or noticable even at a volume setting of 20. I do like the picture quality, everything else is great.

>>>sound familiar to the hitachi complaint?

30 or more, but you gave up counting...out of 318 posts. that's what? 10% i'll give you 20%, but i'm not willing to go back figure out the posters who complained about the fan noise twice in one thread.

the reason there are probably more complaints about the hitachi is because MORE people purchased them than the panny...for whatever reason.

BTW, someone who doesn't like the way the panny looks is viable complaint IMO...some would argue it's part of the TV veiwing experience.

PanFan
Unregistered guest
I can not hear my fan when the tv's on or off. It runs a minute after shutdown according to the book. Don't say it, I wear contacts but my hearing is better than most (seriously).

Anonymous post one, got it Scoob. It's been fun, time to go to the movies. Bose and a Panasonic ahh! LOL Don't want to ruffle your feathers, your friend the PanFan.

joel B
Unregistered guest
Hitachi 60v500a I got it for $3000. Did I make the right choice. I haven't received it yet. I'm told it is on national backorder.

Joelb
Unregistered guest
I just saw the samsung 50 inch DLP side by side with the Hitachi 50v500a in Circuit city. Samsungs picture looks so much clearer. I am getting 60v500a. Should I reconsider. Any suggestions would help. Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
PF...

i'm actually a fan of all these TV's, considering i currently have a 27" hitachi (not that the brand name swayed my decision). i've actually been a fan of panasonic for a long time (3 years ago, i designed the packaging for the panasonic progressions beauty care line for women - which as since been embellished by someone else). they make good products. i've always thought their plasma and samsung's plasma were the best values on the market...but still to pricey for my tastes.

no feathers ruffled.

there is still nothing better than going to movies (sticky floors and all)...

PanFan
Unregistered guest
Agree, To years of dependable service from both are set. Cheers!

Anonymous

Does anyone know how good the Hitachi 60v500a LCD rear projection TV is. What are its pros and cons and is it a better set than going with a DLP TV. Any help would be great. Thanks All.

Anonymous

I just bought Panasonic PT50LC13 from CC after doing research on the web and reading the reveiw on CR website ( I subscribed one month CR website review ). It is good but with bright scenes, you can see tiny colorful pixeles floating above the display. Especially if the scene is not moving fast, sort of static. Another guy on cnet review described this as "sprinkle affect on real bright scenes". Has anybody here noticed taht?

PanFan
Unregistered guest
Absolutely Not! I have never seen anything in my set. I have watch more movies in six months then ever in my life. That set was dropped. Now try to get CC to fix it or replace it. Your Boned!

Anonymous

Can anyone tell me anything about the RCA HDLP50?
do they adapt well to a room with many windows or do they pick up alot of glare? Are they a good true HDTV, or is Samsung better?

DDM
Unregistered guest
Can anyone tell me anything about the RCA HDLP50?
do they adapt well to a room with many windows or do they pick up alot of glare? Do they have alot of repairs issues and are they noisy? Are they a good true HDTV, or is Samsung better?

Unregistered guest
Does anyone out there have a Optoma DLP TV? Interested in the 50". the picture looked fantastic at the store. I'm told that it is a very high TV simailar to what Runco is in Plasma. Any feedback would be appreciated.

baldbear
Unregistered guest
I will be purchasing the SAMSUNG 43" DLP tomorrow evening, and will squeeze it into a built in entertainment center. Does anyone know if I will have any overheating issues?

Unregistered guest
Whew! OK I have about 4k to get a new HD TV, 40"-60" and I have waited and waited for technology to give me the best of everything at a reasonable cost. LCD, DLP, or just a good flat screen deep HDTV? I have HD cable but need a little help. My 15" sony from 1980 is still working but my eyes are going quick....

Millwaters
Unregistered guest
I have been very impressed with DLP TVs. The angle of view seems to be superior to LCD TVs and the image is as crisp as a plasma. I liked the Samsung 50" I saw at BB, but I have also seen the 56" at Gateway. It, too, looks good. How do the Gateways compare with the Samsung? As I understand it, the Gateway uses Samsung technology, but I suspect it is 1st generation stuff. Any comments?

Username: Roma

baldbear, I like your choice and have also had my eye on that unit "squeeze it into a built in entertainment center" sounds like a closed back in the wall setup. The back of the unit needs ventilation. It is a must for long life.

Unregistered guest
hey I work at FS and I have been looking closely at both the 50 " Samsung dlp and the Hitachi50 lcd". I really like both units very much. The picture On the DLP i'd say looks a bit more detailed perhaps. I'm just scared of all those moving parts in the samsung Etc. The Hitachi Has more menu options, and it's a hot looking TV. the picture looks amazing as well. but i kinda wish they had made their speakers of some other fabric, i don't like the fact that you can see where the speakers are behind the dotted mesh they put. I also think the front button Panel could've been placed on the side or something.
I am really deciding which to go for? i can get the Hitachi about 600-700 dlls cheaper though through the Hitachi rep.
what to go for??
DLP or LCD??
i've been debating this, my co-workers say to go for DLP but it'll also cost me more and there's constant moving parts etc.
I need to decide soon thou, my tax return money is running out!

Bronze Member
Username: Lexus0829

Post Number: 17
Cricket,

I've seen the Optoma DLP side-by-side with hitachi 50vx500, samsung dlp and sony LCD. The Optoma is phenomenal on HD. Cambridge Soundworks by my work, has 6 different sets side-by-side. But Home theater mag was correct, the Toshida Rear Projection can definitely beat every single one of these LCD's and DLP's. The good think with Optoma is the manufacturer is close-by here in Milpitas, CA. so I'm kinda leaning towards that. If you get the one's with the new chip HD2 you shouldnt have a problem. I'll go back there and find out more about it, they said this week the OPTOMA rep would be there..

Anonymous

after reading all this stuff, u have all confused the crap outta me. I was looking to buy the Samsung DLP, but now I am conviced I need to buy the front projection for my sound room

Unregistered guest
I am pulling my hair out reading all of these posts. Every time I make up my mind I read something else that swings me back the other way. I am torn between the hitachi 60vx500 vs the 61' Samsung DLP. One thing is for sure these two seem to be the front runners after everything I have read. I just want to know two things.

1. What is better for watching regular TV. (I know they both rock on HD)

2. Which is better for playing video games ( I play alot of PS2)

I like the idea of spending less money on the Hitachi, but will spend the extra cash if the Sammy is worth it. I have watched them both in the store and think they both look great. Please help me before Im completly bald. I JUST WANT A TV.

Unregistered guest
Calm down, and breath. HDtv is not scary. OK, consider these few things to help you make the choice:

1. How much HD vs. SD do you do now and will do in the near future?

2. How close do you sit to the tv/monitor?

3. What is the largest distance you are off-center from the center of the screen?

I work for Sears, naturally in the television department. We work %100 on commission, so it pays for us to know what we sell, or else it gets returned and we lose our comission. Now, in reference to your question, I would sell anything Hitachi over any other brand any day of the week.

I've found that any DLP tv is generally a very poor SD performer. What I've found is this: Hitachi has a more advanced comb filter in their units overall. While both are 3D Y/C filters, the Hitachi's has a larger handling capacity. Lousy comb filters are usually the initial root of poor SD picture quality, and here's why.

As you know, the comb filter separates the Chrominance (C) and luminance (Y) channels of a standard a/v signal (RCA or RF line,-- S-video, component and DVI separate them from the output device, not the tv, and thereby by-pass the comb filter). It defines the initial image in shape and color, decides what is light, what is dark, and what is what color. It decides how vertical edges should be lined up. Poor comb filters produce noticeable artifacts such as dot crawl and jagged edges. Now, in converting an SD signal to be displayed on a HD monitor, most televisions line double. Now, if you've already got misplaced pixels by the comb filter, you're simply going to have twice as many.

Overall, the hitachi just performs better with an SD signal. Both are excellent in HD, but I find the Hitachi's color far more realistic (don't be fooled between vibrant and realistic--check out the skin tones. Don't be afraid to directly compare you skin tone to someone on the television). The DLP (HLN5065W) is indeed vibrant, but I find myself constantly changing the video settings depending on what I'm watching. This I've found to be the case with any Samsung tv, and I also own their little 26, the txn2668whf.

Now, where are you sitting? In the 60 inch range, you really don't want to be anything closer than 10 feet, it would be overwhelming. Now, distance wise, the Hitachi and Samsung DLP are about the same, meaning you can get relatively close to both without major issues. The DLP however has a viewing angle approaching 100 - 110 degrees, while the hitachit lcd usually tops in at anywhere between 60-80 degrees. Out of all the advantages and disadvantages, this is the only advantage I can see towards the dlp.

Consider a few of these things as well. Hitachi first introduced a dlp tv to their 2000 model year line up, the 55DMX01WD, and have since not developed that line, but instead invested a lot of effort in building up the LCD projection. Also, Hitachi is only made-up of Hitachi components--they don't build other manufacturers parts into their tvs, they make everything from the intricate lens systems right down to the cabinet and speakers.

I have acutally had customers return to the store after having their 60V500 delivered to tell OTHER CUSTOMERS how amazing it is. This has happened 3 times. It's yet to happen for the DLP.

As for anything with a brand name, brand names create reputations, and true ones at that. I would caution anyone looking at an RCA product to look at a differenct brand if you actually want it to last without 100 repairs. Sony things are nice--but not the best. They make the best direct view tube tv around, that is true, but their big-screens all around leave something to be desired. In their RP proj., their auto convergence system is horrible and their lcd projection is lacking in several ways (beside the fact that it is constantly back order when not stop-sell-ed due to manuafacturers defects). BTW, Sony will most likely never develop a DLP tv. Why? They hate paying royalties on technology, so they just develop their own and make it more expensive. Sony likes sony. All their electronics use their over-priced, awkwardly shaped memory sticks. Another, older example, they never created a VHS-C camcorder as far as I've ever seen--it was JVC's technology that created the VHS-C tape (as well as the VHS tape for that matter). The Betamax battle. Need I say more? Don't get me wrong, I like sony products, I've just come to like Hitachi a lot better. Don't be mislead by a name or a new tech craze. Go with what you think looks the best. Check it out in the store, and ask the sales person to change the sources for you. If they won't, bring in a source of your own and see how it looks. I love it when people bring in their camcorders to see how their videos look.

BTW, there is not a huge huge amount of difference between the 60v500 and the 60vx500, or rather should I say, nothing huge enough that warrants such a difference in price. If price is of a concern, and space is not, check out the 65S500, it's a really good picture for a very decent price.

Oh, and just a little fyi. Believe it or not, commission-wise, I can make more off a sams. dlp than a hitachi r-proj. lcd, and more off a sony lcd r-proj. than a hitachi lcd r-proj, commission percentage wise, but I know the Hitachi won't be returned. This is the way our dept. is run, and out of 800+ stores, this year, we've been 8th in the nation.

Always interested to hear about it...

MAKspeed@aol.com

Unregistered guest
Matt Kurk,

I've narrowed it down to the Hitachi 60v500 and 60vx500. Is it worth the extra bucks to go for the vx500? Currently for the price of the 50vx500 I could get the 60v500 with 5 year warranty from PC Richards. I will be sitting 12 feet away from the set.
Thank you and I appreciate anybody's input.

Unregistered guest
thanks for the info, i feel alot better. Two more questions. Im about 11-12 feet away and pretty much dead center in my room.

1. What about the video games, how do they look and run on the LCD's.

2. What is the 60v500 vs 60vx500. Could you explain the differences(price, components, and performance). Im lost once again.

Thank you very much.

Unregistered guest
Ok, here it goes two more questions.

1. Is the stand worth the $500 bucks.

2. Is the 60' any better/worse then the 50', other then the grand.

Thanks again.

alan F.
Unregistered guest
I have had the Hitachi 50vx500 for about 2 months. I think the darker screen helps the contrast ratio overall. Watching in HD or 480p looks fantastic, but remember that any analog broadcast will look worse than on a standard analog crt tv, no matter what they say about combs and filters. So far, I have had no problems with the TV. I am aware of the lamp burn out possibliliy and the fan noise problems, but, although you can hear the fan when there is a quiet scene, I don't find it a significant problem.

The Hitachi allows you to adjust the brightness, contrast, color, color temp, black enhancement, tint, contrast mode, noise reduction, for each channel of input seperately (there are 5 input channels), and also allows for 2 seperate settings for each channel, so that it is easy to switch between day and night watching settings. I have found that you want more black enhancement, color, and brightness during the day than at night. With 1 click you can switch back and forth. I think this is a very usefull feature that is not available on other brands.

I don't have a stand for the unit because it is in a wall unit. So far there are very few wall units out there that can accomodate a TV wider than 42 inches. We got a Jesper entertainment center unit.

Username: Ledge

DLP is the best technology in my opinion. Samsung and RCA both make good DLP TV's. There will be more companies before long releasing DLP TV's. Samsung had an exclusive license for a while to be the only company producing DLP. RCA is doing it now and it is just a matter of time before other companies follow. You can pick up a RCA DLP for 1/2 to 3/4 the price of a Samsung. The thing to remember is that at the heart of all DLP tv's is the same technology no matter what company you buy it from.

DLP reasons:

1. It is cheaper
2. No Screen Burn-In from video games
3. It is brighter in my opinion
4. Much darker black levels
5. Did I mention it is cheaper in most cases.

Unregistered guest
From what I've seen DLP are more expensive thats one of the reasons I think Im going to go with the LCD. Hitachi 60 is 3500.00 and Samsung 61 is 4100.00.

JimboV
Unregistered guest
I recently purchased a samsung HLN5065 dlp and have been very dissapointed in the picture I am getting with a standard directv hookup. In fact I'm on my 2nd set after returning the 1st on to BB. I'm thinking this one is going back as well.They all look good in the store with HD in store signal but there is very little H.D. programming available even if you do upgrade to HD satellite. Most of th trouble with this set is with motion artifacts...the edges of the images sort of melt away with movement of camera or subject then come back into focus when the motion stops. I am also getting some kind of pinkish vertical bars on some bright colored backrounds. Is this the rainbow effect they talk about?? These bars don't seem to appear on dvd's though. I will say that my picture is pretty good when watching dvd's,even without progressive scan. Two different Directv techs have told me that my problems are caused by my tv [naturally]. Can anyone help before I have to borrow my brother's truck again to take this thing back????

Unregistered guest
Has anyone researched this new "voom" HD satellite service? Am curious b/c have yet to run into anyone who has it and if its worth the change from DirecTV?

Anonymous

Well I borrowed my brother's truck again yesterday and took the 2nd dlp sammy back to Best Buy. Had a little problem getting my money back though because they wanted to count my original purchase date in the 30 day return period and not the day I exchanged it for the 2nd tv, but I won out[be advised]. As far as I'm concerned DLP technology still needs some work and I'll either wait it out or try something else.

Anonymous

I used this site to help me decide http://www.television-and-tv-buying-guide.com/tft-television.html.

Bronze Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 34
if you play alot of video games get the RP LCD.
4 thou for a 60". True Crime is a 720p game and
it looks great on a tv that displays 720p natively. Its like having an arcade at home.

bobo,k
Unregistered guest
can anyone tell me why my 50' samsung DLP has these marks on the very bottom left and right corners and run up all the way to the top. it looks like crap and shows up big time on white screens.?????? they look like smudge marks or something. also how do you guys clean your DLP'S.

ts
Unregistered guest
Well said dubz (in reference to ruba dub dub). I to work for large retail company and take offense to the generalization that we all dont know @#%$ and only push what were told. The RCA scenium line sucks its the worst tv we sell they all break and we have also had a number of problems with the samsung DLP. to all others out there if you want a good Rear Projection TV buy an Hitachi, Mitsubishi, maybe a Toshiba or if you have the bank role a Pioneer Elite. After all its about getting the customer the best tv they can afford.

Chip Constant
Unregistered guest
ARRGH! I went to buy a 61" Samsung HLN617W and now can get the Sony 60" Grand Wega KF60WE610 for about $600 cheaper! I could only look at a 51" in the store. Is the Sammy worth the extra $600? Help

Unregistered guest
Any comments on the Phillips LCoS TV? or any other LCoS TV vs. LCD vs. DLP?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Hey Robert,

I was excited about the intel 3 chip LCOS, 1920 X 1080P, but i called TVAUTHORITY.com about the new toshiba 57HL83 and they said. Toshiba totally stopped the production of this, and going to DLP technology. I saw the mitshubishi ones on catalog but they only make 82" and it's 18K! wooweyy. The philips resolution is not that good, it doesnt have the newest chip. Now i guess i'll lean more towards DLP for now, but i'll keep researching. let me know if you hear more about this..alex

Anonymous

Hey Chip Constant, your good w/ your Sam HLN617W. I have this before and they're awesome on DVD but not good on analog signal. It's progressive scan only works on wide screen mode. If only I was satisfied w/ the size I would'nt swap this for that 70XBR and then to a 92" projector. By the way, bought DLP and LCD has those sreen door effect except that the Sony's more noticeable. Try a Den 2200 DVD (the best I ever seen for the price) and they look awesome on the DLP. Costco price is $3999.00 ( try SAMSUNG website and they have a $500.00 rebate if they still running it).

bobo,k
Unregistered guest
can anyone answer my questions please??
this is bobo,k

bobo,k
Unregistered guest
can anyone answer my questions??
this is bobo,k. thanks

Unregistered guest
damn it holmes...
that was crazy going through all this madness, all the opinions... Nevertheless, i thank you all for your input, my conclusion will be do more homework. I heard the cables make a big difference for ANY tv to look good. Anyway, back to the drawing board. thanks ppl

Username: Don482

I saw some rear projection sets at Harvey Electronics and to me the LCD RPTV seemed to have much more contrast than the DLP RPTV. That made the LCD picture seem much sharper and the DLP picture seem flat. Has anyone else noticed this or do you think its a matter of how the TV is adjusted? Harvey is a high end store and all the sets seemed to have a good signal.

Username: Don482

Post Number: 3
I also saw the Hitchi 50 VX500 and the picture looked incredible. I would be interesed in the 60 inch model which was not on display. What is the difference between V and the VX? Is there enough difference to justify the higher price?

Anonymous

we have the same oppinion EG. that's what I notice too here at Soundtract. they're side by side (sony we, xbr and sam 617w). I played w/ picture adjustment too.

Username: Kid_red

Post Number: 6
NucGuy-Home Theater Mag (I think) had a review on it and the 1 thing I remember was a 7 second delay when you changed channels. That's a major deal break for me. Plus you only get like 50 some channels. I may not watch all my cable channels, but going from 250 down to 50 or so seems like a drop off when the price would be about the same. Plus the box is expensive, you don't get free ones per room like Direct TV/Dish net.

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 63
ed,
get the 60". If you watch a 4:3 program then
you are watching about a 50" picture. I have the
panny 60" and believe me it has shrunk since day
1, but i still love it. plus it was only 1000
more than the 50". its a 3000 jump up to the 70"
sony but its not pc compatible.

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 64
as you can probably tell i am biased towards
rp lcd tv's. if you go to a higher end retailer
that is knowledgable and ensures that they're
products are shown with their full potential, i
dont see how you can not get a rp lcd. Some people
say that crt's have the best PQ. I turned down
the 73" mits for the panny 60". side by side the
panny looked sharper and more life-like. and 400
lbs lighter. lol. the pros outweigh the cons.

bobo,k
Unregistered guest
how do you guys clean your DLP televisions?
thanks for input.

Post Number: 7
Well, I stopped by CC and BB yesterday and was able to compare the Sammy, Sony and Hitachi side by side and wanted to offer my input to the thread-

Sammy: $3199No doubt had the best picture in terms of black level and contrast. Blacks were amazing and it did not display the motion artifacts that Sony did. Master Of Commander looked crisp on the Sammy but the waves were blurry and pixelized on the Sony. However, the green push were really noticeable. May or may not be a factor if it can be calibrated out some.

Sony-$3299 Very 'smooth' picture. Black were the weakest on the Sony, but it had a film-like smoothness that was easy to watch. The screen was very non-reflective.

Hitachi-$2999 Blacks were really black. So much that I had the salesman drop the contrast. Also, seems to have an edge enhancement so I had him drop the sharpness down to around 20. Still had a crisp edge detail when compared to the Sony. Side by side, it seemed to have more detail then the Sony. This made the Sony's smooth picture look less detailed. The Hitachi's screen was not as light absorbent as the Sony and thus reflections were more apparent,

So far, the sets were pretty even with a slight edge to the Sammy, but the green push made them all fairly equal. Then, the real test for me, NTSC 4:3 programming. For me this is very important as I watch 80% NTSC because as nice as the HD channels are, there isn't much on. DVDs maybe 2-3 times a week. So how did they do?

Sammy-Absolutely horrible on NTSC. Grainy, blurry, jagged, pixelized, whichever adjectives you want, the Sammy was unmatchable. That's a deal breaker for me.

Sony-Very smooth, about the same as my current HD direct view.

Hitachi-The best standard picture. It was close with the Sony, but the Hitachi has that crisper edge that I mentioned earlier and the deeper blacks. This made the NTSC broadcasts very watch-able.

In conclusion, it depends on how much you watch non HD channels because the HD feeds were great on them all. Sammy maybe the best but it's green and not leaps and bounds better. The Sony was nice, but the blacks weren't very black and it's film-like picture may or may not be what some want. The Hitachi had nice blacks, and a great NTSC picture for the least amount of cash. If you watch mostly HD and DVDs, any of these will do nicely. If you watch a lot of NTSC then it's the Hitachi first with Sammy the worst at this.

Overall, I'd have to say I was first choice Sammy, that's now changed. Sammy is off my list and I think because Hitachi's go on sale and Sony's don't, the Hitachi may be my next set.

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 65
what about the panny

Anonymous

FYI - The Samsung DLP TV's have an option in the menu called LNR - Low Noise Reduction. If you turn this on, it amplifies the stardard cable signal and there is a BIG difference in the NTSC picture quality. It looks much better with it LNR on!

Post Number: 9
anon- wow, I didn't know that. I amy go back and ask the guy to check if that option is enabled.

paul-They had AOTC playing on the Panny and smaller Sammy. They both looked absolutely horrible. So I'm guessing the DVD is worn out or the player is crap. I can't believe the sets looked that bad in DVD. The same movie was on the Sony last week and it looked horrible. So, I'm nervous that those sets may not play DVDs as well as HD. But I'm more inclined to believe it's the source.

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 69
if the panny was the PT50LC13 then whatever they
were feeding it was bad. Guaranteed, i have the
60 and they are basically the same except for
size. I know the HD picture can be impressive.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I'll have to check it out. THe only problem is they don't have a cable source to it, only DVD. Don't know much about it, and I don't think BB has it either I wonder if Sound Advice (Tweeter) does.

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 70
i wouldnt count on BB, CC or GG to take care
of their tv's like a higher end retailer would.
I saw a PT50LC13 at CC and it had a bad pixel
in the middle of the screen. Almost felt like
I was at the animal shelter and saw an abused
animal. I didnt buy mine from a big box retailer.

Anonymous

hey Rick, u from FL? Sound Advice usually uses dvd for their for high end projection TVs and uses cable signals for LCDs and Direct view TVs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
anon- Yep, in Orlando now. I haven't been to Sound Advice in a while I usually check around CC and BB to get an idea of what I'm looking for then compare to them. I got my current HD panny CRT $200 cheaper from CC over Sound Advice. But like Paul said, I may have to visit Sound Advice to see some TVs in decent condition.

Anonymous

Rick, I got every single piece of my component at SA (jacksonville). they usually give this private sale like 25% off on any speakers (except bose and Martin Logan) but sometimes if u talk to the right sales person, he can give u 18.74% on any TVs depending on their cost and 25% off on speakers anytime w/o coupons.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
anon- Really? I was unaware that you could haggle with them. I've always though the price was the price and that was all there was to it. As for the private sale, there's one tomorrow, lol. Thew sale is $100-$2k off 42" and up. I'm just not that close to purchasing yet.

Anonymous

if u talk to the right person, u can get the best discount than what they advertise. the only problem w/ SA is they use to have one tech. for one region if ever there would be a problem w/ your stuff so it will take a week or 2 before he gets there but they will replace it w/o problem if its more expensive to repair it..

BOBY
Unregistered guest
HOW DO YOU GUYS CLEAN YOUR DLP'S
THANKS FOR ANY KIND OF INPUT.

Anonymous

READY FOR THIS... NO MORE CRAP DLP TV'S

Sony, Samsung, Hitachi, Mits, = ALL GARBAGE!!

Check out #1 badboy LOEWE 55"
I don't want to give you the Specifics, but It ROCKS... HIGH-END Stuff.. optional 3D playback effect video.

2nd is a company Called LG that have a 52 and 60 incher that is a step down from the LOEWE.

technology uses Video Double Caching. to create 3D affect and No Blurryness or Clay images.

These are the best in the market. Mess with anything else and your screwed. or you can wait for another year for DLP Series 2 (Plus) chip. It provides double think mirrors that don't show Pin Shadows.

YOU GOT the info, use it as you please!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Hey I know LOEWE is nice but it's pricey I bet my OPTOMA RD50 will blow that away bought it on sale at Cambridge Soundworks for $2999 for the 50 inch, LG? there's no way that's better than the SAMSUNG HLN567W TANTUS. Plus the LG DLP is the same TV as the Zenith .. they're all Korean made.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I don't think the LG is the same as the Zenith because the LG is thier high end and I would assume warrants the price increase with additional features, etc. Also, if LG was crap, high end audio stores would not be carrying it. Loewe and LG are both high end. The LG DLP was better in my eyes then the Sammy 50". No green push, no headaches and a very crisp picture. Loewe is simply stunning.

Anonymous

Has anyone noticed a sound delay with the Samsung DLP 50"? If so, can this be corrected? Picture is awesome!

Rex
Unregistered guest
I just bought a Samsung HLN507W. I am experiencing a slight sync problem between the sound and the picture - the sound precedes the picture by a 10th of a second or so. I noticed the same problem while playing a DVD, so I don't believe it is a cable problem. It is annoying when watching a closeup os someone speaking.

Anonymous

I have noticed that if you turn off the DRC on the television the DVD audio will play just fine and it clears up the sync problem for playing DVD's.

Username: Blitzpb

Has anyone seen the Vizio DLP setup? Im looking at the 56" from Costco right now. They had Miracle playing on the DVD and was crap until I changed the settings from zoom 1 to 4:3. They obviously had the wrong format DVD in the player.

Anonymous

Panny PT50LC13 clearer picture tip.

I was just reading along and saw your post and thought "what the hell...I will see if he cares". Well, Hear is my two cents: The Panny PT50LC13 comes default blurred. this is to eliminate the pixels that you would see otherwise but at the sacrifice of a clearer picture. Now, I work on mine as a monitor for my computer sitting about 7 feet away, so fairly close and I like the clearity much better and the HDTV is the shiz-nit! All you need to do is open the front-right pannel below the screen and inside you will see a screew type thing sticking out of a ring that is the circumfrance of the lense. All you need to do is loosen (NOT REMOVE) the screw by turning the screw "lefty loosey" and then rotate the ring (using the screw as leverage) DOWN or what would be "righty tighty" until the image is clear and then start getting blurry again, then fine tune and tighten the screw and replace the panel. that is it man...best to have a computer bluged into the DVI connection for best visual on the clearity. Also, the DVI will give you the best picture from a computer using an NVIDIA based video card, then using powerstrip to dial in the exact exposed resolution of 1212x660. ATI does not work well at all. I hope that this helps anyone...

Doug

Anonymous

There is a thread over 100 pages long at avsforums about the audio/video sync problem on the Samsung DLPs that I have gone through, and this is what I have found out. The problem is variable and partly dependent on source--is known by Samsung, and there is no cure or fix or tweaking with settings that will help. And BTW, it's not only a Samsung problem, but a DLP problem in general. If it doesn't bother you, fine, but many have returned theirs because they couldn't tolerate it. Samsung claims that they have addressed this issue in their brand new 2004 models just coming out this week, but no one really knows yet--Don't let any salesman convince you otherwise.

Irene

Unregistered guest
I am thinking about purchasing a Samsung 50" LCD DLP. There is a big price difference if you get it from an established dealer like best buy/circuit city or you get it from one of the yahoo shopping vendors. In some cases the difference was over $500. Is it worth getting from these cheap vendors or shell out another 500 bucks. I am more worried about online vendors return policy. It probably will cost me over $200 dollars if i have it mail it back incase of any techinicalities.
Any comments?
Thanks,

Bronze Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 99
LCD and DLP are different microdisplays.
I will buy DVD's CD's and games through the
internet but not an expensive TV. Sure the
prices are lower but what is the return policy
and is the product a customer reject. There
are alot of fly-by-nighters, use caution.

Username: Sgd

Parma , Ohio

Have finally decided to go into the HDTV experience. Have been to several stores and about half push the Sony LCD and the other half push the Samsung DLP RPTV. The stores that prefered the Sony the picture was fantastic and the Samsung was good but no where near the Sony. The reverse in the other stores. One of the big problems that I noticed with the Samsing was the shimmering and small objects on the screen. The color didn't seem as vivid on the Sony but sharpness was better. Also was very concerned about the way the sales people where pushing the ESA's For only $700 you get four years of protection for when it breaks. Sorry but I really don't want to hear that with my $3000 investment it's going to break and it'll be expensive. Also why is everyone going with the new tech's? Is the rear projection crt's that bad? The Mits that I saw had a fantastic picture. The only draw back was the size of the cabinet. Any help would be great.

Anonymous

Spent hours evaluating LCD and DLP RPTV's this past week. I'm really surprised at the negative opinions of the Sony in this thread. I'm extremely analytical and picky when it comes to audio and video. Here's what I found (my opinion of course):

50" Hitachi Ultravision LCD
Great picture, good contrast, good blacks. A little bit grainy on sharp edges in HD content. OK performance in DVD content. Rated A-

50" Panasonic LCD
Good picture, poor contrast, Blacks were ok but lost detail and contrast. fuzzy edges in HD content. OK performance in DVD content. Rated B-

50" Samsung DLP
Great picture, good contrast, sharp edges in HD content. Fast moving objects didn't look natural. Occasional but noticable MPEG artifacting. OK/Poor performance in DVD content (Lord of the Rings looked like VHS... bleech). Rated B-

50" Sony Grand Wega LCD
Great picture, excellent contrast, extremely sharp edges in HD content. Best performance in DVD content. Looked higher resolution than any of the other 50" TVs on DVDs. Rated A+

Anonymous

Using this board as a guide I went for the Hitachi 60v500. I watched and read for a long time . Thanks everyone. We love it. Looks and sounds great. There was fan noise the first few days...then it " disappeared" ( guess we got used to it. ) We watch it from about 11-12 feet. No complaints.

Anonymous

I was reading in the current issue of HT magazine...if you want the best of both worlds... DLP and LCD..take a close look at LCOS sets... the reflective mirror are closer together compared to DLP sets. I was able to see the JVC D-ILA HD-61Z575 set... picture was icreadable...vibrant colors and very deep blacks. and there was no problem with Motion Pixel blurs..... I just bought the Latest Sammy HLP-5663W... and I"m returning it and getting the JVC. Video Only might be the only place to see it...I haven't seen it at CC, BB or GG.

Terpstarr
Unregistered guest
I just bought a 60 inch Hitachi LCD RPTV. Their is a fan noise that is very low that is noticeable. Are fans on ALL large screen LCD/DLP tv's? Is their anything I can do to get it so I cannot hear the fan noise?

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 105
if you dont have it get a 6.1 or 7.1 surround
sound

Joe125
Unregistered guest
I am thinking about buying either a DLP or LCD TV. I am leaning more towards DLP because I heard video games can look blurry on LCDs. Do they look blurry on DLPs also?

Silver Member

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 108
i have an XBOX with my LCD. Depending on
the game, the PQ is pretty good except for the
jaggies.

shubdo
Unregistered guest
I am trying to decide whether to buy the 65 inch Toshiba rp crt (65h84) for $1432 or the Hitachi 60 inch rp lcd(60v500a) for $2655 with the stand included. I get a major discount on these tv's and know that both are excellent deals. Is the Hitachi worth the gamble for almost twice as much? I know that the rp crt is a more mature technology and should be more reliable. Any opinions on what I should do? Please respond

J Paul M
Unregistered guest
I just stumbled across this forum looking for answers on the new Mitsubishi DLP that Best Buy is carrying, however I haven't seen much discussion on it. In my opinion it blows all of these other TV's out of the water, and I've been looking at them for many months now. Does anybody have an opinon on this beautiful new set?

Username: Sgd

Parma , Ohio

Would have to agree that set is amazing. They added grey to the color wheel so the darks are fantastic. There is a different version comping out in a couple of months that has a better screen. I thought the one out now the screen was way to reflective. The new one doesn't have that problem.. There is also a diamond version coming out later in the year that is going to have a high dev DVR. From what I've heard the price for that one is going to be to high for me at around 7K.

J Paul M
Unregistered guest
See now I read that a new one is coming out to, the Medallion series that will include an anti-glare sheild. Its not really a better screen but an overlay to the sceen the 525 serier already has. I didn't seem to notice a problem with glare when I was looking at it, however my Best Buy keeps it pretty dim in the TV section. The only non-plasma that I saw that can compete with the Mitsubishi is the brand new Samsung (the one with the built in stand, forget the model number), however I think the color depth on the Mitsu was slighty better. I was looking at the Panasonic and Hitatchi for a long time, but now I'm heavily considering dropping the $4 K for the Mitsu since BB is having 0% financing for 24 months.

Unregistered guest
I was looking to spend up to $3,000 and have been struggling with RPTV, LCD or DLP. Initially I was set on a RPTV, they seemed to be the most perfected technology at the end of a pretty good run and the best overall bang for the buck. I started to sway toward the DLP and LCD sets but the best selling points from the sales people at the chain stores (Tweeter, Circuit City)had to do mostly with the physical size and viewing angle, neither of which are not a huge factors for me. When I spoke to the sales people at the higher end specialty stores, the impression that I got was that any worthwhile DLP technology at this point is better implemented in the small projectors (which are considerably more money). It made sense, if a little DLP projector is $6,000, what are you really getting for a 50" DLP unit with a screen for $3,200? When push came to shove I just couldn't spend my 3 grand on a lightweight cheap/ultra modern looking Samsung TV. You know these things are going to look silly in another year, I already saw a new JVC that looks alot more refined. I wouldn't buy Samsung for any meaningful components of my Home Theater and certainly wouldn't make it the centerpiece. Don't get me wrong, I understand that Samsung is an innovative company and a pioneer of DLP, and they do make nice price point products. I don't want to pick on Samsung but I saw one of these things proudly perched in a friend's home and it struck me that this thing is going to look silly in a couple of years. Moreover, even the Tweeter sales guy admitted that todays dlp/lcd offerings that are now 3 grand should drop off bigtime in another year. I also predict that they are going to beef up the technology to something closer to the more expensive technology in the projectors. For my money I chose a Hitachi Director's Series x500 which I haven't received yet, nor know for sure whether it was the right call. At the very least, I got a well reviewed 265 pound tv packed with features and a decent pedigree. Sure I won't be able to see it as good in a bright room and the viewing angle is not so hot but it should be a robust 57" picture. In a couple of years I'll probably move it to the basement and get a more perfected DLP for less than $2,000. Most of the experienced sales people from the better stores indicated that the consumer is driving the demand for lighter, smaller units and that is really the most compelling reason to go DLP or LCD, I am betting these early units are going to look foolish sooner rather than later.

BobinSeattle
Unregistered guest
MY OPINION -----> WAY WAY WAY too much emphasis is being placed on how these sets look in the store. At the very least one has to visit 3-4 stores to verify what they see.

~~~~~~~~~

I have found the SONY KF Grand Wega series to look very good to good at Circuit City and Fry's and terrible at Video Only (except the 60" which also looked very good). Like others have said, many stores not only do not set their TV's up correctly, but they purposely make some look better than others. Sad, but true. (I have 20+ years retail experience and the average consumer need to realize that this goes on). Stores definitely "push" certain products over others and are not always honest. Fact of life.

2) I had an hour to spend with the 50" Hitachi V series next to a Sony 50" non XBR Grand WEGA. I wanted to like the Hitachi but it clearly did not possess the blacks that the 2004 Grand WEGA's did. (Like C/NET said the SONY black level is vastly improved over 2003 models and I agree).

I tweaked and tweaked and could not make the Hitachi equal the Sony. The diversity of opinion on the Sony's vs. the others is odd. I have to believe that the people that complain about the picture quality of the Sony are looking at a mis-adjusted set by store personnel.

3) Finally, you owe it to yourself to look at the new JVC D-ILA. It appears in showrooms to be consistently brighter and clearer than ANYTHING in its class. As much as I liked the SONY 60" WEGA when propertly adjusted, the JVC is CLEARLY superior in color POP and contrast. Black level is very good too.

JVC had made D-ILA projectors for years and these new sets are winners. The pixel density is far superior to any of the TV's being discussed here. It is not perfect, but worth a look. I think it is the best under $4K TV out there at 60". Also, JVC may be announcing a STANDARD 3 year warranty in the next 2-3 months. Spoke to the JVC rep today.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us