How to copy DVD to DVD with dvd recorder

Roger Bachelder
I plan on purchasing a DVD recorder -probably a Philips DVDR 70 or Panasonic DMR-E80
(unless you have another recommendation)
I want to record from DVD to DVD and it is not clear to me how could I do it.
As I know I will be able only to copy one DVD to
DVD and assume the original did not have Macrovision. Your advice will be appreciated.
Many Thanks.

ella
You already made post in another forum.
Once again it's here
http://www.dimax.com.ua

vidkid
if there is no macrovision, there is no problem ,just hook outputs to inputs and your good to go.

Unregistered guest
I purchased a Video Magic/DVD and am using it with a Samsung DVD-R4000 Recorder and am extemely happy with the results when copying protected DVDs and VHS tapes. The copies look as good as the originals with no artifacts. Go to www.stardevelopment.com to order but expect to wait up to as long as 4 weeks to receive the unit. Input and output is choice of either S-video or composite video. Controls on front of unit includes seperate controls for color, tint, brightness and contrast. However, I found that the preset setting are excellent. Also includes a red indicator light to let you know when a transmission signal is received from either the VHS or DVD player. The unit does not run on batteries but with AC adapter. I highly recommend this unit. You can record both DVD-RAMs and DVD-Rs from DVD and VCR players, as well as, TV and Cable programs. The Samsung is manufactured by Panasonic with the Samsung name and is less expensive then a Panasonic unit.

Username: Andyyanov

Post Number: 1
Hello Roger!
I want to say that I know Dimax company (you can find it at http://www.dimax.com.ua ). I've purchsed DVD Red Pro it works. And quality of picture in output is good. No noises or any lines.
I hope my message can help you.
Write me if you have a question.
Bye.

Antuan Jay
Unregistered guest
I know dimax. Their device dvd red pro work good.
So, you can try it. They have strong support rule. They help you.

Antuan J.

Unregistered guest
Just an FYI to everyone. The DVD Red Pro is apparently NOT compatible with Pioneer Recorders. I have the Pioneer Elite DVR-7000 and I cannot copy DVD to DVD. The Red Pro does work with copyright protected VHS to DVD though. You figure it out. Red Pro staff are working on the issue, but for now it only works at a 50% level.

Antuan Grace
Unregistered guest
Hi Jiffy Jeff!
Thanks a lot. From your message I see that you are not see DVD Red Pro even one time. So if competitors of this guys try to decrease value of device so that mean that they can't make better!!!
Thanks you again!!!
Antuan Grace
http://www.dimax.com.ua/English/dvd_recorder.htm

Unregistered guest
Anyone Know if it will work on a Sansui DVD-Recorder & VCR Model VRDVD4005 I just got it and I dont see it on the Compatible List

Anthony_86
Unregistered guest
Those DVDRed and VideoMagic/DVD solutions sound good, but is there a way to make exact copys from a dvd to the HDD? so that you have the whole DVD with the Menu (subtitle selection and so on) on the HDD? it isn't possible to record DVD-Rs (which you have burnt before) back to the HDD, is it?
thanks

Bob Johnson
Unregistered guest
I want to make backup copies of commercial DVDs that I have purchased for my film library. As I understand it, this requires three components. I already have a GoVideo DVD player with "S Video" output. All I want to do is create copies that can be played on this or other standard players. It appears that there are a number of devices (DVDRed,VideoMagic,the Clarifier by FacetVideo, and others) that claim to be able to override copy protection technology. I would like to locate a reasonably priced DVD recorder to create disks that can be played on my GoVideo or other standard players. The thing that confuses me is the litany of formats that various recorders create (+R, +RW, -R,-RW and so on). If any of you videophiles out there can give me a recommendation on protection override devices and matching recorders that will answer my needs, it would be much appreciated. BJ
I believe that the Copyright laws allow a private party who has purchased a copy protected DVD to override the copy protection technology to make one backup copy of his or her DVD. If anyone wants to research this I suggest they review the "fair use" sections of the U.S. Code relating to copyrights. My understanding is the the real no-no is decrypting movies on DVDs and putting them on one or more CDs.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"I believe that the Copyright laws allow a private party who has purchased a copy protected DVD to override the copy protection technology to make one backup copy of his or her DVD."

Then your beliefs are incorrect, this has been discussed ad naseum in forums, in the newspapers and on TV. The Millenieum Act specifically prohibits breaking the copy protection code under any circumstances and for any reason. It is quite clear! This discrepancy between fair use and digital copy protection has been brought before US courts several times and in each and every case The Millenieum Act has been upheld to take precedence.

Unregistered guest
I want to backup my DVD originals to watch on my laptop during my 2 hour commute. My DVD player is Samsung and DVD recorder is Phillips DVDR70. If i connect these two up via DVD Red Pro, I assume I will be able to just play an original on my Samsung player and record this onto a blank disc in my DVD recorder. Will there be any distortion to the picture or sound quality? Has anyone used this DVDR70 model to record DVD to DVD before?

Anonymous

i have a dvd recordable computer and i want to copy dvds but they are all copy protected is there anyway that i can still make copys?

Unregistered guest
I have Panasonic DMR-E75V. I'm trying to copy my old VHS to DVD-RAM and DVD-R. It sounds like the products mentioned above only work when a DVD record is hooked up to a separate VCR, unless I'm reading them wrong (completely possible). I need to know if they also work when the VCR and DVD are in the same unit. Is so, explain how (I'm a little dim if you can't tell)? If not, what will?

Unregistered guest
Some Great Info, However Are There Any UK Sites That Any Of Above Can Be Purchased ie DVD Red, Video Magic

Unregistered guest
hi can anyone help downloading movies from net they play on windoes media player but not my dvd player ist region free what am i doing wrong

Kayla
Unregistered guest
How can you tell if a dvd you have purchased is copy protected??

Unregistered guest
I bought a magnavox dvd recorder awhile ago. I am using it to transfer episodes of this show that I have on vhs to dvd. I have a couple tapes that I bought in the store years ago and I'd like to transfer them, but I get a message that says the tape is copy protected. Does anyone know a way around this? I tried copying the show to another vhs tape and that shows up as copy protected also. If anyone can help, please let me know.

Anonymous

I need to know what to buy to be able to record a copywritten dvd to a rewritable dvd? We currently have a panasonic dvd recorder.

Medlar
Unregistered guest
Does anyone have a site where I can get a dvd red pro in the UK ? or any equal unit for transferring Protected VHS to DVD I would be grateful for any help

Unregistered guest
protected dvd to dvd via player to recorder { both are panasonic), thinking of dvd red pro or videomagic/dvd,,i want to buy in uk, anyone no of any uk sites have heard that www.stardirect.com will not export there videomagic/dvd outside continental usa,must be SOMWHERE in uk i can buy same or similar, will be very grateful for any help.

Anonymous

Get yourself a PC with a DVD burner and download the DVD shrink free software from www.dvdshrink.org/ - Makes perfect copies of any disc protected or not!!!

Unregistered guest
HOW DO I COPY PROTECTED MOVIES TO DVD? I GET MESSAGE STATING COPY-PROTECTED. IS THERE A WAY TO DO IT. I JUST BOUGHT NEW PANASONIC DMR-E75V.

Burkhard
Unregistered guest
Quick summary:
I understand you will not be able to use any DVD recorder to copy DVD (protected ones) unless you buy one of the override devices.
Does anybody have some comparison data for the choices (DVDRed,VideoMagic,the Clarifier by FacetVideo)
Also: Do these devices also work for DVD-HD recorders?

Unregistered guest
I saw a post at the the top that I never saw an answer for. If you make a back up copy of your DVD does it keep all the formating and menu options? If not is there a way to do that?

Username: Sixwest

Hi

I recently finished my "Sony setup" with a 50" LCD rear projection HDTV along with the Sony DVD recorder. I held off buying another DVD recorder with hard drive storage since my cable company announced that they would be rolling out DVR's in early 2005. Now the problem is with the models their planning to roll out. They're Scientific Atlanta 8000/8000HD. When I researched it the FAQ's indicated that those DVR's will only copy to a VCR and not a DVD recorder. Is there a way to record digital content directly out of the existing cable box or should I go TiVo? (And if then, what would be the best model?)

Thanks

Username: Racingfan82004

i just got my red pro the 23rd i hooked it up
from a sony dvd player to a liteon dvd recorder
and the dvd still is protected but the light is solid on the red pro so the protection should be gone right?

BigDaddy99999
Unregistered guest
will a rf modulator do the same thing?

per
Unregistered guest
so dose this dvd red pro remove copy protection so you can copy dvd to dvd if not is there a device that you can use ? please dont respond here please e-mail jgbever@kconline.com thanks

Unregistered guest
I have an RF modulator and it does not help one little bit as far as recording any copy protected VHS or DVD. I have an old vhs recorder which only rarely is affected by macro technology (Disney, and a few random other DVDS, mostly any thing animated)This is because it was manufactured before macro became as standard as it is now. I have yet to try a macro eliminator on my stand-alone dvd recorder, my DVD Red Pro is on order. For anyone wanting to save money and still record movies (VHS anyway),to DVD on a stand-alone dvd recorder, I would recommend using older copies, perhaps found at independent video rental stores, or public libraries. save newer dvds and vhs using an older vhs recorder, mine is a mitsubishi HS-402UR, found at one of those used clothing stores for about 15.00 bucks. Ive archived 100's of movies with it over the last couple of years, mostly free check-outs from the Denver public library. My DVD recorder still recognizes the macro on almost all the DVDS Copied to vhs and wont let me copy them, (YET!).Hope this helps anyone out there to keep going while they research all the choices for archiving movies, it really sucks to spend money on junk that promises much and delivers little,(I have learned the hard way on more than one occasion.)good luck

richard r
Unregistered guest
can someone provide some info to a novice? i used my dvr camera to shoot some family stuff. i connected the camera to a DVD recorder, using an av cable to connect. i created a DVD (-R). i wanted to make a handful of copies of this DVD, but didn't want to keep running thru the orig DVR thru the camera to record (takes too long). i THOUGHT that i could use the DVD R/RW drive in my computer, like i use the CDR/RW to create CD's. tried several of the commercial products (avail for free trial use by the mfrs before buying), but none works. i spoke to the tech folks at one of the mfrs, and he told me the software isn't meant to copy home produced DVD's - only commercial DVD's. i'm totally lost, and would appreciate any guidance someone can provide. thanks.

Jocelyn
Unregistered guest
I want to buy a PANASONIC DVD Recorder w/ 120 GB HD DVR DMR-E85H.
Do you know if i can play the dvd on the recorder and transfer the dvd directly on the hard disk, and burn-it on a dvd R/RW?

Thanks you!

Anonymous

I am going to purchase a non name-brand dvd recorder. I want to either record from a dvd player to the dvd recorder or from the dvd to the dvd recorder's hardrive. Are there any devices to over ride the infringements?

Username: Leighann

I just bought a DVD RED but can't get it to work. Do you have to have the VCR or DVD on a certain channel? What else could I try, I feel pretty sure I have it connected right.
Thanks,
Leigh Ann

Username: Xshop

http://www.xshop.com.ua , http://www....

Post Number: 3
http://www.xshop.com.ua
Best internet shop !!!

Username: Xshop

http://www.xshop.com.ua , http://www....

Post Number: 4
Hello Bob!
I want to say that I know Xshop company (you can find it at http://www.xshop.com.ua ). I've purchsed DVD Red Pro it works. And quality of picture in output is good. No noises or any lines.
I hope my message can help you.
Write me if you have a question.
Bye.

Unregistered guest
what is the difference between double layer and single layer burners. I ask because i replaced my burner on my pc with a double layer Rosewill rd162 and i can,t seem to burn movies that will be played on my dvd player. help please.

Unregistered guest
I just received my Redpro device.
I hooked it up, and am getting a picture, but it is still saying copyrighted.
any ideas if i am hooking up wrong, or another way. mine is a combo vhs/dvd recorder.
thanks

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony rdr-vx500. It is a all in one dvd/vcr video/dvd recorder. I am plugging in my dvd red pro and getting a picture but it still says can not copy. Does anyone have this sysytem that could help me hook it up correctly to start recording? I am confused about where the plugs go on the same system. Thank YOu

Unregistered guest
im trying to record from dvd surround sound player to magnex dvd recorder we have a picture but no sound if we record of the tele from dvd recorder we have picture and sound all audio cables in right can any one help

Unregistered guest
richard r - Using your DV recorder to DVD's - I'm not sure if this is the only way to do it, but it's the way I do it: You have to buy some type of converter available at Circuit city or best buy, etc. I'm trying to remember the brand I have, and I think it is Pinnacle. What you do is hook up your DV video recorder to this Pinnacle device via your DV video recorder cables. This device then hooks up to your computer via a USB cable and I also use a "1394" cable as well (you have to buy this as well). In case you don't know what that is, it looks similar to a USB cable, but shaped slightly differently. If your computer is new enough, it will have a 1394 hook up somewhere on it, usually on the back, and sometimes on the front as well. If your computer has a DVD-R on it, I'm sure it will have a 1394 hook up. Then the pinnacle program will have the rest of the steps for you to use it. If you prefer using another program like Roxio, then you can transfer the movie clips, after downloading them, to that program and edit it how you like.

Unregistered guest
richard r - Using your DV recorder to DVD's - I'm not sure if this is the only way to do it, but it's the way I do it: You have to buy some type of converter available at Circuit city or best buy, etc. I'm trying to remember the brand I have, and I think it is Pinnacle. What you do is hook up your DV video recorder to this Pinnacle device via your DV video recorder cables. This device then hooks up to your computer via a USB cable and I also use a "1394" cable as well (you have to buy this as well). In case you don't know what that is, it looks similar to a USB cable, but shaped slightly differently. If your computer is new enough, it will have a 1394 hook up somewhere on it, usually on the back, and sometimes on the front as well. If your computer has a DVD-R on it, I'm sure it will have a 1394 hook up. Then the pinnacle program will have the rest of the steps for you to use it. If you prefer using another program like Roxio, then you can transfer the movie clips, after downloading them, to that program and edit it how you like.

Anonymous

hello

Unregistered guest
How to know if a dvd is copy protected or not?

kabron
Unregistered guest
How to know if a dvd is copy protected or not?

easiest way is connect the dvd player with a tv/vcr combo...or a single vcr will work fine and start recording on a vhs tape while movie is playing on dvd player..record for 3 minutes or so ..then rewind vhs tap and view what u recorded ..if u see lines and from bright to darkness or noise problems the dvd is copy righted ....if u dont see none of that stuff it aint copy righted ...

Unregistered guest
Can anyone help please,
What do I need to do? I want to make DVDs of my own video in the UK, which I know how to do, but how do I go about producing a DVD from the above that will play in the United States.
What special equipment is needed to do this?
Many thanks for anyones help.

Unregistered guest
I have a Panasonic DMR-100 and would like to backup protected DVD to the HD. Is this possible without using another DVD devise?

Unregistered guest
For all of you who are coping DVD copy protected
movies i.e. are breaking the law.
Allof you can be charged with a felony as long as you do not have permission to copy the material by the owner(s).
End of story.
Stealing is against the law.
By the end of the year there should be new techniques that will void the current video plugs
that's being used to bypass CSS proctection.

Anonymous

Copyright No-No's: Don't be put off by some of the naysayers about breaking the law: your in-home activities, backing up copies of your purchased libraries before they become scratched (as usual) or otherwise deteriorate (as they would with such a delicate medium of recording) are not likely to draw the attention of federal or even local law enforcement (unless you decide you can sell them on a large scale, a big no-no). Be discreet, research anonymous forums like this, and you can back up your libraries with little trouble and without attracting the tattle-tale wrath of an over-zealous, overly-righteous watchdog out there. Some people....

As long as the prices for our videos remain so high for such shoddy medium materials (in terms of storage in retainig the recorded materials), there will ALWAYS be a sector of the public that will (and always has) figure out how to circumvent motion picture industry attempts via technology to keep us paying, and paying, and paying....copying was an issue 8 years ago, it is STILL an issue that has not been blocked by the industries. Worst case scenario: we have to wait 6 weeks after a dvd release to buy it on amazon or ebay for $3 for an original version. I'm not losing any sleep on the subject, either way, and neither should any of you.

Username: Glutton

Post Number: 2
Hi All,

After HOURS of research and many e-mails back and forth to xdimax.com ["support"], I bought the LITEON LVC-9006 combo VCR/DVD Recorder unit.

Found here: http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/ce.htm

From their compatability list and our e-mails, I SHOULD be able to make copies of store purchased VHS's onto DVDs. Some work without the DVD Red PRO and some don't [when I need to "get around the...ahem"]. I have tried EVERY single combination and common sense tells me that there is no way to break the internal connection between the VCR portion and the DVD portion of my combo unit. However they have in writing to me that the SONY combo model and the SANSUI combo model WILL work. The main reason that I bought the LITEON is specifically because it has the SAME EXACT inputs/outputs as these units [that, plus it's an "all-write" system]. Communicating with them has been a nightmare!

I would truly appreciate it if someone could help me out here and let me know how to get this working. I realize that I can buy a stand alone VCR, but the whole point of all the research was to avoid the stand alone VCR in the first place; otherwise, I could have bought any number of "copyright infringing" devices to accomplish what I want [for home use only :-)

Thanks in advance,

G.

JPDlegal
Unregistered guest
Creating a copy of a disk from your library is NOT illegal. Period. Believe me, I get these whiney cases before my bench often enough to know it is mainly for show by the media companies amd attornies trying to prove themselves. The law is not clear enough to make any distinction except you may not make them for monetary gain. So far, no one I have seen charged for personal use (which are few) have been found guilty. The arresting agencies, however, have been sued in civil court for such absurd abuses of the law. Case study is slow and sometimes boring but it isn't that difficult to understand. Copy away. Just don't sell tickets to see it at your home or distribute the copies.

Leroyslady
Unregistered guest
I just bought a cheap DVR...But it seems to record Ok...I have stabilzer that I used to copy VHS to VHS and DVD to VHS,,,but it doesnt work from DVD to DVD...When I hit the record button on the DVR it pops up and says the material Im trying to copy is copyrighted and it STOPS recording.Will dvd red pro, Go DVD, Clarifier Classic,Video Magic or any of the others let the machine continue to record?
Since this is the first DVR I have owned I dont kow if that is what all of them do...thanks for any help any one can give me.

fx
Unregistered guest
"Creating a copy of a disk from your library is NOT illegal. "

Although technically correct it is misleading. Making an analog copy for personal use is allowed under "The Fair Use" doctrine. However breaking the digital encryption of a copyright protected DVD is illegal under the DCMA which also includes the articles of "fair use".

xvxvxvx

Anonymous

I wish the FBI worked as diligently to prevent 911 as they did to bust Star Wars bootlegers. They even brought in the Dept. of Homeland security for help. What a slap in the face to the 3000+ dead Americans. USA's borders have murderers from Mexico coming and going as they please & govt is worried about bootleg Star Wars??? What a freaking joke!!!!!!!!Wakeup America and smell the $hit.

Anonymous

I wish the FBI worked as diligently to prevent 911 as they did to bust Star Wars bootlegers. They even brought in the Dept. of Homeland security for help. What a slap in the face to the 3000+ dead Americans. USA's borders have murderers from Mexico coming and going as they please & govt is worried about bootleg Star Wars??? What a freaking joke!!!!!!!!Wakeup America and smell the $hit.

Anonymous

Anonymous

If you had as much to money to contribute to a congressional or presidential campaign as the MPAA, the FBI would lick your boots, too.

WSM
Unregistered guest
I have the Emerson EWR20V4 DVD/VCR combo recorder. I would like to back up copies of my old VHS tapes (yes, for personal use ONLY :-)). Will any of the devices on this forum work for me?

Thanks,
SM

Anonymous

I have a Go-Video recorder/vhs player. (I have connected a dvd player to this unit) I am experiencing difficulties in burning copies of my privately owned private collection of original movies. Can someone out there help me?

Unregistered guest
I just bought a Magnavox vcr/dvd player/recorder. How can I copy vcr tapes that are copy protected to dvd's. would like to transfer all taxidermy tapes to dvd.

Mazoku
Unregistered guest
I am trying to make a copy of a DVD "Chobits" With a LiteOn DVD Recorder, I would like to know how to copy the whole DVD, menus and all. Can it be done? If it can't how can I split my recorded DVD into chapters and menus?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1586
Have to do that stuff on a PC.

dell4320
Unregistered guest
Hi, i am thinking of buying the new dual layer recorder DVR-633H-S from pioneer.
Anyone knows please which clarifier is compatible with that and where i can get it .
thanks.
Jane

Tina collins
Unregistered guest
I have vhs family movie tapes that are old and am in the process of recording them onto dvd (pioneer231) but am afraid that the tape will not allow me to make another copy . Can I hook a dvd player to my dvd recorder and record the movies???
In the manual it does not say that you can go dvd to dvd...Please Help!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1768
Yes, you can do it, but a PC and burner would be far better and faster. If the tape copied once, it should do it again, you'll get better results that way.

Username: Rtw

David - thank you for the wonderful service you provide those of us who are befuddled by technology.

I'm going to treat myself to a DVD recorder this Christmas. Can you recommend a make and model?

In addition to copying numerous home movies from 8mm digital video and VHS and adding chapter stops/table of contents to them for ease of use, I'd also like to copy many of my copyrighted DVDs and VHS tapes - but mainly to edit out or skip the commercials at the beginning of each. Those things drive me nuts and now many DVDs prevent you from avoiding them! I could rant about this for hours so I digress... Also, my young son seems to think his Thomas the Tank Engine DVDs are toys to be played with so I'd like to copy all of them before it's too late (also editing out the commercials) and then put the originals away.

Apparently I need additional hardware to dub copyrighted material. In trying to shop on line I've come across numerous devices that all sound similar (enhancer, corrector, duplicator, etc). Which is the best. Is there a website that explains the differences in a way a non-technophile can understand?

DVD Red
Sima Color Corrector 2 Pro Series Model SCC-2
Sima CT-1
Sima CT-2 GoDVD Enhancer
Sima CT-200 Digital Video Duplicator
etc
etc
etc ad naseum

Thank you again for the valuable service you provide!

Unregistered guest
Panasonic DMR-ES30VEB. trying to put my video collection to dvd and i can't - it says, 'tape is copy protected' is this macrovison. can i turn it off

Gold Member

Post Number: 1781
JP, if you want to do chapters and editing, a PC allows more options than a standalone recorder. You would need a burner and an authoring program. I use TMPGEnc DVD Author, it's free for 30 days, then it's $70 to buy. You can get an NEC burner from Newegg for about $45, great burners. If you want the best in copy protection it would be a time base corrector, but they are expensive. If you get a PC burner then you can copy DVDs on the PC, and all you'll need for VHS is a cheap stabilizer, around $25-$30. MCM Electronics sells them for $20 plus shipping.

Username: Dean_diggler

San antonio, Balearics Spain

I want to put a commercial dvd on to the hard drive of my LG 7500 dvd recorder!!!!
Then I would like to copy it onto a back up dvd!!!
However i keep getting a message stating that the original is copy protected!! Is there any way to bypass this???
I have also tried playing from another dvd onto the hard drive with the same results!!
Can i reconfigure the connections so that i am not recording a digital signal!!!
I have used dvd shrink but the whole reason i bought a non pc dvd recorder was because the computer is such a pain in the a--

Username: Roop

hi which one is better DVD RED PRO or video magic/ DVD, just copy dvd to dvd with my dvd recorder, please
thanks

Anonymous

WHAT IS THE CORRECT WAY TO LINK/CONNECT A TRIAX RECEIVER --PANASONIC DVD RECORDER--PHILIPS 2 SCART
TV.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2250
Stop the capslock.

Make it clear of what your intentions are.

Thank you.

Jpainter
Unregistered guest
I have several network and "pay for view" movies recorded onto my Dishnet DVR and I would like to copy them to a DVD to free up space on my DVR. Do I need to buy a DVD recorder with some special features to allow me to do this or will "any ole" dvd recorder work?

Unregistered guest
I had planned to copy some of the movies I had on my DVR to DVD to also free up some space and I wanted to make some copies of my old VHS because they just take up too much room, so I purchased a really nice DVD Recorder, however I got a copyright error when I tried to copy a DVR program and thought I could copy it on to a VHS and then make a DVD of it, and although it copied onto the VHS perfectly I still could not copy it on to a DVD, any suggestions? I have read about red pro and the Magic, are their others I should look into? any recommendations?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1976
Stabilizers are made to work with Macrovision, and will work for VHS to DVD. The problem you're having with DVR to DVD is copy once protection. The two are different and a stabilizer may or may not work on copy once.

talonz
Unregistered guest
i dunno if it will help many of u guys out there but i use drdivx to rip my dvd's to my harddrive n encode them in avi format most movies will be around 700 mbs n will still have very high quality, and alot of dvd players out now (in australia anyways) are divx compatiable and when played on a normal tv u do not notice any quality reduction. Only prob is drdivx has shut down for a while, n will be realeased a lill later in 06 under an open source license, but im sure u can find past copies on some p2p program. but i found that was the best way to create back up of my entire dvd collection, and as an added bonus being only 700 mbs in size i could have have copy on the comp with out hogging up too much space.

moviemagicdude
Unregistered guest
well what i use to copy dvd's is anydvd and clone dvd and they work like a charm i havent had any problems if you want to do high vhs copys this is what you want image stablizer and removes copy protect on it

http://www.stardevelopment.com/videoultra.htm

its about $140

SNO
Unregistered guest
I have the following set up ...

Sima SCC
Philips DVD Player
Sony DVD Recorder (stand alone)

While I have been able to "back-up" my old VHS tapes successfully (via S-Video, both ways) .. I'm still having problems backing up the Macrovision-ed DVD's to a DVD+RW disc (on the Sony) .... even though I'm running this through the Sima ....

Any ideas ...???

Anonymous

Listen all. Breaking the copy protection code on any DVD is elligal no matter how you cut it. I agree that everybody has lots of old VHS movies they would like to copy to a DVD, but again, if the VHS movie is copy protected, then they don't want it copied by any means. Personally, I don't believe that the law is fair because if I spend 25 dollars for a Star Wars DVD I certainly like to be able to back it up so I don't have to buy another one if my original gets damaged ... and DVDs do get damaged.

Let me say this, Yes, You can definately copy any copy protected DVD or VHS movie easily. However, it is a crime to do so so I do not recommend doing it. I feel that if the DVD companies would reduce their price to about 2 dollars per DVD, then there would not be any reason for people to spend money on devices to over ride the copy protection.

Personally, I can copy anything regardless of copy protection techneques with no problems, if I want to, without devices. Research this topic and you will be able to do it also. REMEMBER THE SCREEN ON DVD MOVIES THAT STATE THAT IT IS A CRIME TO COPY DVD MOVIES EVEN IF IT IS NOT FOR MONETARY GAINS!!!

Anonymous

When you order the DVD Red Pro where is it shipped from and how long does it usually take?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2060
You are allowed to make 1 backup copy of discs you own for personal use, as long as you keep the original. If you sell or give away the original, you are supposed to destroy the copy. It is however illegal to remove CSS protection from DVDs, which has to be done to make a copy. Doesn't make much sense, but that's the way the law reads.

Jocelyn
Unregistered guest
I am a big collector of dvd (560 dvds) i have only original one.
I want to keep my dvd in good condition and be able to do backup of it.
I am thinking to buy the panasonic DMREH50S.
I want to know with dvd red pro of dimax, will i be able to copy my dvd to the HD or DVR-R?
Will i lose my 5.1 in the recording?
Do i recorder what i see, or can i copy all the dvd with the menu, extra to another DVD?

Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 2075
Use a PC burner, they are faster, far cheaper, burn better, and last much longer. In most cases the quality of the copy will be better. Some discs will have high compression and won't come out as good, but that's probably less than 10% of them. You will lose the 5.1 with a standalone, but not with a PC. You can't keep the menus with a standalone, but can with a PC. If you keep everything, the compression will be higher and it won't look as good. If you do only the movie, a lot of them will fit with little or no compression, giving a copy identical to the original in quality.

Username: Rtw

Post Number: 2
David,

Thanks to your comments above I decided just to stick with my PC burner so I can do more editing of my home movies recorded on video tape. The DVDs burned on my PC do not play very well on my stand alone DVD player (Sony DVP-NC615). The menu comes up fine but the video plays for 1/2 a second and then pauses for 5 seconds. After 5 attempts the results are always the same.

I've used Movie Maker, WinDVD and Ulead to burn the DVDs. I've burned at optimum speed as well as very slow speed (1x). I've tried filling the DVD with content and only putting very little on them - but the results are always the same.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 processor 3.00GHz w/ HT
Front Side Bus: 800MHz
Memory: 512MB DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed: 3200 MB/sec
Optical Drive 1: DVD-RW (4x/2x/12x) DVD+RW (8x/4x/12x) CD-RW (40x/24x/40x)

DVD: DVD-R (GQ brand, 1-4x)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2097
Nuke the cheap discs and buy Taiyo Yuden or Prodisc. You can get them at Supermediastore, Shop4Tech, Meritline. Unfortunately, most brick and mortar stores don't sell good quality discs. Some burners are far better than others, but skipping and freezing are usually poor quality media. Good quality discs on a good burner generally burn better at the rated speed, at least on 4x or 8x discs.

steelers rule
Unregistered guest
I have used the DVD Red Pro and it does not work! I was trying to record a DVD movie to DVDR and it did not work at all..do not get fooled.

matt05
Unregistered guest
I have recorded a TV show with a DVD recorder and I try to copy it by using my computer DVD burner, but can't see the files on the DVD when I load the DVD in My computer, what should I do about the problem?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2249
Use DVD Decrypter, ISO read, ISO write.
http://www.mrbass.org/dvdrip/

Get it now while you can, most sites have already pulled it.

dvldog
Unregistered guest
used godvd to copy dvd to dvd and when i played it back it would pause for 3-5 sec and play and then pause for 3-5 ses again and again. anyone have ideas why. i have lg lry 517 recorder.

Anonymous

great product to over-right copy protection (Indicated by a CP logo on the actual DVD disc) it says not to use for copying macrovision but works wonders..... SMART LEAD.... http://www.multi-region.co.uk/index.php?cPath=25
For Sale in UK.....

Unregistered guest
In the case of a DVD without copy protection, can I produce a copy of the DVD using standard DVD player hooked to a standard DVD recorder ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2363
Yes, it won't be an exact copy like a burner, but you can copy anything that isn't protected.

Anonymous

i have a jvc dvd recorder and a sony dvd player. how can i record from a copy protected dvd on my recorder. are there any devices that can be used and are they easily available in the market?

Username: Memphis77

i have the DVD RED PRO and it is "EXCELLENT" little device for copying DVD to DVD and VHS to DVD, I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMEND THIS TO ANYONE WHO WANTS TO BACK UP THEIR DVD COLLECTION, OR START ONE. It removes MACROVISION very well. I'VE tested SIMA, DVD MAGIC, And they don't even come close. Thanks DIMAX, It's about time the MOVIE people and companies stop being GREEDY, I mean not even to be allowed to back up your own DVD'S is pure greed. THANK GOD for RED PRO BY DIMAX!

Username: Phoneyb

I'm in the market for a product like the DVD RED PRO, I keep doing the research to see what sort of copy protection these devices defeat, and none of them seem to be mentioning CSS. I was just wondering if Dimax's products can actually defeat this type of protection. Can anyone help me?}}

Username: ~solo~

For Jeff Fowers; follow this link
http://www.w3schools.com/css/

should get you going

Bronze Member
Username: Ella

Post Number: 11
Hi,
I owe both Dimax products DVD Red PRO -> http://www.xdimax.com/dvd/dvdredpro.html
and Grex -> http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html Both are working grate and remove protection in my setups. As for CSS you should not care about it as CSS is not something that goes outside the DVD player. CSS is digital protection set on DVD. Your player has to decode CSS to produce vdeo from digital data on DVD. After you get video CSS is behind and you can forget about it. But here comes the macrovision with protection set over analog video signal this time. This is where you need Dimax like products.

Username: Shapulia

AucklandNew Zealand

Hi everyone,
Please help!!!!!
I have just purchased a Sony DVD recorder RDR-HX780 for home use and it wont copy a copy protected DVDs. Now just to make it clear I am doing it for home use Only as well as I would like to backup some of my daughter's Disney movies that are currently on VHS tapes and starting to loose their video quolity.

I'm a bit upset as the DVD wasn't chip and a sales person told me it would but obviously they just wanted to make a comission.

IS there are any way that I can copy DVD/VHS movies by using my new DVD recorder???????

Many Thanks
Yulia

Username: Redicknuff

You can use a filter to remove the protection embedded on your DVDs. I suggest a Sima CT-200, or a CT-2000, the equivalent. You can get one on ebay. I purchased one from the seller SAFFOTO, and it arrived quickly and it worked great for making back-up copies of all my DVDs, and it's also great for transfering VHS tapes to DVD.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Hi Sima was suied by macrovision and they do not exist any more. I use Dimax Grex.
www.xdimax.com

Username: Technical_wizard

Is there a diagram anywhere showing the connections between a tv, dvd player and a dvd recorder for copying? I just can't seem to get it to work. Sorry for being a noob.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
HI,
Take a look here:
http://www.xdimax.com/grex_faq/faq_howto.html#stbdvd

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 707
Is there a diagram anywhere showing the connections between a tv, dvd player and a dvd recorder for copying? I just can't seem to get it to work. Sorry for being a noob.

DVD player to DVD recorder means you won't get an exact digital copy.

The way to do this is to use a PC.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us