Am I screwed without a DVI port?

Phil
I paid good money to buy a Mitsubishi WT-42311 ( 42" Rear Projection) about six monoths ago. I thought I was buying into the future and paid more than I wanted to for a 16:9 HD ready set. Anyway, now I understand that since I don't have a DVI port I will not be able to receive HD signals in the future. Does this mean my set is going to be obsolete in 2006? Can someone educate me please?

Thanks

Phil

Anonymous
Phil,

You can receive an HD signal in the future the same way you can now, with component cables. The picture quality will not be as good as DVI, due to that being a digital connection versus an analog connection (component, s-video, etc.). Does your TV have firewire?

Phil
I was told that without a DVI port all HD signals will be scrambled in 2006. I did find out that Mitsubishi has a upgrade policy where you can purchase an upgrade board for my TV for $995 which will support DVI and firewire. I hate buying bleeding edge technology.

Phil

Anonymous
Phil,

That is news to me, but I guess it is possible. DVI has yet to be set as the definite industry standard though. I would not buy that update, especially since it is probably more than half of your TV. Save your money and you can buy a new TV sooner.

Derek
You can watch HDTV without a DVI port. Your firewire port should do. That firewire upgrade that Mitsubishi introduced a few months ago SHOULD be all you need.

What you may have heard was DirecTV standardized on DVI and DirecTV may option to lower the resolution of the Component video output jacks.

This has no effect on terestrial HDTV though.

Hope that helps.

qdog
au contraire...Phil is correct about scrambled HD in 2006, and dvi is the solution...What this is meant to protect is "illegal downloads" of HD content..Protecting the industry from "napster" like theft...lol
In any event the liklyhood of this actually happening is low, since there are many HD owners like Phil, who would be pi$$ed off enough, that their tv's, which they paid good $$$ for, are incapable of receiving HD reception...

Don't let this pending BS, concern you

G-Man
You will be able to watch HDTV, but not being passed through totally in the digital realm. Hopefully a fire wire compatible system will allow this transference, but I can't be sure.
DVI (Digital Video Interface)allows signals to be passed directly from the source via digital signal without any conversion to analog or degradation beyond what the sender is offering. No doubt it will have much to do with encoding the digital signal with anti-copying algorithms. It shows the incredible influence that the computer industry along with the producers of program material have in the marketplace.

Mitsubishi and other manufacturers that aren't involved in programming have no reason to want it---but they may well be forced to ultimately have it if they want to sell product to those aware that DVI looks like it is in our future.

Now this isn't a done deal yet---but it looks like it will be.

OK - here's a question. Can normal directv analog & digital broadcasting be viewed with better PQ when using a dvi-enabled set top box?

I have a Samsung hln 467 but my hi-def stb does NOT have a dvi port. I'm quite happy with dvd's through component, but not thrilled with "normal" satellite picture quality.

Can a dvi-enabled set top box be used to view sd satellite signals to improve their picture quality? THANKS!

Anonymous
Bob,

I have seen many people say the DVI improved the SD as well.

Anonymous
Does anyone know if theres a directv box with firewire outputs, if so what is the make and model?

John G
The latest 2004 model Mitsubishi RPTVs have DVI ports as well as Firewire. It is my understanding HDTV Digital Video Recorders using hard drives will have DVI interface for copy protected material not received OTA.

I have panasonic rptv 47wx49 without dvi port.
Is there in the market dvi to hd component video converter (digital to digital). My rptv is obsolete? No will watch all trasmision in hdtv

My english is bad.

What does a DVI port look like. I just bought a Philips 30PW8520 and hope I did the right thing.

Derek
See http://www.ddwg.org/dvi.html. There probably one on every computer video card made in the past 2 years.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
I just came across this thread and I am very very curious about the assertion by Phil that "I did find out that Mitsubishi has a upgrade policy where you can purchase an upgrade board for my TV for $995 which will support DVI and firewire."

I really wish that were true but I suspect that he is referring to the Promise Module and it is FireWire only.

Since it appears that DVI is becoming the standard connection, all pre-2004 Mits HDTVs are obsolete the moment they down-rez the component outputs.

I am, and I suggest that others that own a Firewire only Mits HDTV, start raising hell with Mits NOW for an upgrade path to DVI.

installguy
if you have a hd monitor without dvi but it does have a vga input (15pin connector). and you have to hook up a device with dvi. check this websight out http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1209

Chuck
FCC "Plug'n'Play" standards contain other rules. One prohibits the turn off of analog high definition component outputs on existing cable and satellite boxes. Our "old" sets will not become obsolete.

Interesting website, intallguy. Those who own a Panasonic PT50PHD4P (no dvi, has vga) thank you for this info.

John G
You may be able to adapt a DVI connecter thru your 15-pin RGB port but it will not pass HDCP encrypted material. In terms of using HDTV Digital Video Recorders, you must have either DVI or I-Link. I can't get by without my DVR, so I consider a set without DVI (and to a lesser extent I-Link) to be obsolete. When I figured what was going on with HDTV copy protection, I was upset that my 30" Samsung HDTV Monitor was obsolete, but I got over it and paid $5100 for a Sony KDF-60XBR950 which has both DVI and I-Link and a built-in ATSC tuner. It has yet to seen if my wife will get over it!

I am very pissed off about this DVI/Firewire situation. I had trusted that I would be getting the technology I would need from mitsubishi in the form of firewire connections. I am not able to find a directtv reciever or dvd player/rec with firewire support and it does not look like there is going to be any. Has Directtv decided not to support firewire at all. Has anyone gotten anywhere with mitsubishi regarding the lack of firewire support? Who should I contact at Mits. to complain?

Anonymous
I bought a sony kdp65xbr2 in june. It does not have DVI input. It is capable of receiving all HD content through the component inputs. What is going to happen is that all future set top boxes (direct tv, cable etc.) will only output 480 res through the component output. That would turn my new HDTV into a SD tv except for off the air broadcasts. If anyone has information on upgrading a sony or petitions to stop the dvi scam please post it here.

I found this bulletin on Mitsubishi website. It is old but may still apply.

"MDEA also noted that DVI (Digital Video Interface) input is not part of its long-term product strategy because it is not networkable, controllable or recordable. Devices that support the DVI interface are really encouraging the demise of "Fair Use" home recording rights, because the DVI signal is not recordable.
"It is our strategy to ensure that our products fully support networking technologies and home recording rights as we migrate to a fully digital home theater and control environment," said Robert A. Perry, director of marketing."

See complete article at:
http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/press4.html

Doug M
Unregistered guest
I have sent Mitsubishi an email about 1 month ago asking about dvi upgrade on my 7 month old 55511 without dvi and have yet to hear back from them. Guess I send em another email. We all should!

Username: Dubz

Post Number: 11
you guys don't have anything to worry about. there are millions and millions of HD tv's not equipped with a DVI. alot of people spent alot of money. IF they decide to put only the high res (720p/1080i/1080p) through dvi, and component gets 480p for copyright reasons they WILL make a adapter, somthing to interface the two, and maintaine there copyright protection. there is just no need for the adapter now, and by the time you have to have one they will be much cheaper to make. thats like saying if you use cable, and bought a tv without a digital tuner your going to be left hanging on the switch over. you can always add those boxes later.

and if you want to record highdef, there will be a adapter for that. not anything they can find in a store. heard of macrovision? stops you from recording dvd's onto vhs? a $40 line stabilizer will defeat that. America is full of crooks, we're are always finding a way to rip someone off, but them not letting us record HD is not right, so i think its justified

Anonymous

I have the Samsung sirt151 hdtv receiver without the Dvi Input.
My problem is that my Tv has the the Dvi Input.
So I have connected the tv to the receiver via
component input/output. Does this degrade the hdtv
reception. (quality of picture.) Is there an adapter to convert the non dvi input receiver to
dvi input. Thanks

Username: Dubz

Post Number: 22
no need for a adapter, component works 100% just fine.

some recievers won't hold enough bandwith, and could degrade the HDTV picture. i know my reciever is a kenwood 7070a, the earlier year model, the 7070 didn't hold enough bandwith, so they updated it with the 7070a
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us