DVD Recorder Doesn't Have Component Input

Username: Robimlaw

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased the Panasonic DMR-E80 DVD Video Recorder and much to my dismay found out that it does not accept component video input (it does however have component video output). The reason it's a problem is that I have hi-definition cable via component video. In order to utilize the full features of the DVD recorder, the manual states that I should hook the coaxial from the cable to my cable box, which has componenent video out, and then my cable box to my DVD recorder and then my DVD recorder to the TV. However, as I mentioned, the DVD recorder cannot accept component input. I figure I have two options: (1) my DVD recorder has S-video input and output and I could hook everything up per the DVD recorder manual via s-video but I feel like I would then lose the advantage of getting hi-def cable through component video....or (2) my TV accepts two component video inputs. I could hook up the cable box to the first component video input and the DVD recorder to the second component video input but, by doing this, I'm afraid I will lose out on the ability to use the DVD recorder to its full capability if even at all (since I'm thinking the DVD recorder has to be hooked up to the cable box somehow in order to record TV shows). Anybody have any similar issues and/or suggestions?

Username: Xol

Post Number: 8
Why not to connect cable box to DVD recorder via S-Video or in the worst case Composite Video.
What outputs your cable box has?

Post Number: 3
Alex: as mentioned in scenario #1 above, I could hook up everything via S-video since my cable box also has s-video output. However, since my hi-def cable TV comes to me via component video, I feel like I would have to "downgrade" from component video to S-video for my cable TV viewing simply in order to hook up my DVD recorder. I'd like to keep my component video hook up if I am going to hook up my DVD player. But, if the only route is to go the S-video route then I will. I'm wondering how much of a downgrade it will be.

Post Number: 9
Hi
I afraid this can be significant.
I have seen the difference between component and s-video on Toshiba LCD Tv.
Can you connet box to TV with component box to recorder with s-video and recorder to Tv with s-video. All this devices have selectable input/output.

Post Number: 4
Yes, I tried to hook up my cable box to the TV via component video and then my DVD recorder to the TV via S-video and then have a s-video running from my cable box to the DVD recorder. That would work perfectly but the only problem is that my damn cable company won't allow for two outputs (component and S-video) from its cable box at the same time. The only other solution I can think of is to rent another cable box just for the DVD recorder.....although that would be a way around my problem it would be one extra headache to deal with. Either way, thanks for your thoughts.

Anonymous

Hi.
I understand your cable box has component video output - this is 3 RCA connectors right? and you would like to plug them into hdtv and dvd recorder at the same time ok ? I can think about splitter with 3RCA inputs and 6 RCA outputs.

Mr Blank
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know of any DVD recorder with a component input? There is no technical reason why not as internally the MPEG coding requires the signal to be split into component. Is it just a not too subtle way to ensure that the DVD recording will be degraded compared to its commercially manufactured equivalent

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Look at the Philips DVDR 70/72/75/80
They have component input.

Bronze Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 28
Check some user feedback before buying Philips, I don't think you will want one afterwards.

Willy
Unregistered guest
Maybe connect s-video out of cable box to s-video
input of DVD recorder. Then connect component output of DVD recorder to Component input of TV.
The DVD recorder would probably "take care" of the
s-video to component downgrade you are worrying.
Have you tried this connection?

Unregistered guest
Please read the initial author's comments! As this fellow stated, he is looking for *component inputs*, not S-video or composite inputs, which is what Philips offers. I am similarly looking around for a 480p DVD recorder/player with component inputs, preferably a dual deck with VHS also. It seems to me that the choices at the present are to either (a) take your high def signal through the S-video input to your dvd player, then hook this up through the component inputs to your tv, thereby losing quality in the input signal (why pay for a high-def signal if you're going to attenuate it?), (b) get a tv with at least 2 component inputs, and learn to live with the fact that you can't record at high definition, or (c) make do with 1 set of component inputs on your tv, and manually move wires around when you want to switch from viewing dvd's to viewing high def input signals.

Is there no 480p dvd recorder with component inputs?

Anonymous

All DVD recorders accept 480i only. You cannot connect an hd source (1080i) to a DVD recorder even if it has component input.

Ed623
Unregistered guest
I don't know much about this, but I just found a DVD recorder with component input. It's pretty expensive though. It's the Sony RDR-HX900

Ambidexter
Unregistered guest
I was told the reason you can't get DVI or Component inputs in a DVD recorder is the bandwidth required can not be met with current DVD drives. If you can't record to the DVD in hi-def, they figure why bother adding an extra cost option of the higher quality input circuitry if you can't record as fast as the data comes.

Anonymous

RDR-HX900 doesn't have component input according to the amazon details page.

Bronze Member
Username: Bmarian

Post Number: 14
Ambidexter, Phillips has Component inputs. The advantage is that it looks better than S-Video.

But no DVI, probably because of the bandwidth issue.

Unregistered guest
I purchased an RDR-HX900 because it was the only DVD recorder that I could find that had Component Video Input signals. After it arrived I tried in vane to get it to function with my Hi-Def TV. The only way I could get Video into the DVD recorder was using S-Video which defeated the purpose for my purchase. I recently obtained an RMA and am returning the RDR-HX900 because it does not work as advertized.

rcbridge
Unregistered guest
The sony RDR-HX900, That input will only accept 480i or p it will not accept HD signals, that is how it is advertised.

Anonymous

I don't think the sony RDR-HX900 accepts 480p,
it can only record 480i.

cnugs127
Unregistered guest
I have a Philips DVDR615 and I am having the same issues with trying to get high def signal to my recorder. I called Philips and they think a disc with a new software version may fix the problem, but after reading everyone's comments, it doesn't look like it'll help.

Boston-DVR-User
Unregistered guest
Hey cnugs127, I have Philips HDRW 720, purchased solely for the component input. I knew I could not record HD programs but wanted best output from cable box. After banging my head against this puppy for a few days, I realized that when I first got HD receiver I set an overide to convert 480i signals to 480p for improved quality. Once I reset that back to 480i I got the signal. However, this reduced the quality of programs when not recording. I opted to set the override back to 480p and send the s-Video to the DVR. The s-Video is not affected by override setting. Although I purchased this unit for component-input, the s-Video quality is good. The unexpected bonus was that I can also record the HD channels. Obviously they are not true HD but the quality is extremely better than othe other channels and are also received in wide screen. Good luck. - Boston

Troyce
Unregistered guest
Is there a hard-drive DVR with true 1080i (component or other) input on the horizon from any manufacturer?

~Troyce

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Is there a hard-drive DVR with true 1080i (component or other) input on the horizon from any manufacturer?

There are several available right now but none of them will record a DVD they are just DVR's.

xvxvxvx

HDquest
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know whether there are any HD-DVD or Blue Ray Disc recorders in the pipeline? Since they are build to record HD, they better have DVI-I, Firewire and HDMI inputs and outputs. I expect that they will all be copy protected with HDCP, however. Therefore, our ability to record HDTV signals in the purest digital form will be at the mercy of the boardcasting network's discretion (read advertising revenue level of the program). These recorders will likely also have component video inputs and these could be used for recording HD quality (unless the DVD-CCA figures out a way to incapacitate that too in these new players). As you can tell, consumers will get shafted either ways thanks to hollywood studios, MPAA, RIAA and the like.

billb
Unregistered guest
Just got the Panasonic DMR-e500H and set the tv type to 16:9 480p and now nothing displays on the screen. Anyone know how to reset the box back to 4:3 480i

I tried restoring to factory settings to no avail

Jerry K
Unregistered guest
I bought this unit for a very specific purpose. I have Time Warner cable with a HDTV "Tivo" like set top box. The only functional output to transfer recorded programs from the internal hard disc to a DVD recorder is the set of component video outputs.

The only reasonably priced DVD recorder with component video inputs is the Philips DVDR615 (there is a Sony at several times the price of the Philips). The Philips does this flawlessly and I have not lost a single disc. The recorded quality is excellent and assisted by its choice of a variety of program lenghts which optimizes quality. I usually select 2 or 2 1/2 hours for most movies.

Using it is a bit complicated, so I keep the Quick Start guide always handy. As mentioned by others, the remote control is extremely small.

pam123
Unregistered guest
Jerry,
How are you having such better luck with the DVDR615 over the reviews on Amazon? Perhaps your media...what brand and type of DVD's do you use?
Did you use S-video before you got this system and if so, can you tell a great difference?
I want to be as happy as you sound in your post :-)

Username: Josip

Post Number: 3
Hi,
I was wondering if any of you know of a DVD recorder with digital terrestial tuner (DVB-T, as I'm in Europe) and a DVI-D out ?

Thanks for your reply in advance

Josip

MRG299
Unregistered guest
Phillips has a component input however DVD recorders can not recieve HD or Progressive signals so even though it has a component input the picture has to be sent via 480i and you can not use a 480p or 1080i
signal

Kabanga
Unregistered guest
Under current DMCA anti-circumvention laws, producing technology capable of decrypting an HDTV signal for recording is illegal, even though the act of recording is legal. That may be why it is so difficult to record the unencrypted video from out of the back of the cable company box. With the exception of the "must carry" local channels, most HDTV content is sent out over cable as encrypted.

dhous152
Unregistered guest
We all know we can't record HDTV on our DVD recorders. All we want to do is pass the signal through to our HDTV televisions so we can watch what we wanted to watch without having two cable boxes (one for the component connection directly to the TV and the other so we can record non-HDTV digitally scrambled cable channels). Are we being pigeon-holed into a technology that will make our DVD and VCR recorders capable of only playing media? Even when a HDTV compatible DVD recorder is available in the USA, will there be anything left we can record?

fx
Unregistered guest
" All we want to do is pass the signal through to our HDTV televisions so we can watch what we wanted to watch without having two cable boxes (one for the component connection directly to the TV and the other so we can record non-HDTV digitally scrambled cable channels). "

We? WE? Do you have a mouse in your pocket? Very few people have a need to pass-thru the signal before it gets to your display. A 99 cent rg-59 coax cable and a $2 splitter solves the problem nicely without degrading the original signal on it's way to your display.

" Are we being pigeon-holed into a technology that will make our DVD and VCR recorders capable of only playing media? "

Of course not, as long as you have an analog signal your recorders will record it. These units will not record a digital signal in the first place. If you have a need to record a digital data stream purchase a D-VHS recorder and record to your hearts' contnet.

xvxvxvx

John L Smith
Unregistered guest
I have a Panasonic DVD recorder DMR-ES30VEB. I also have an extensive collection of VHS tapes which I have purchased over the years. Am unable to dub them to DVD, before they deteriorate to much, as some are copy righted. Any suggestions??

Username: Danielson

Hello, I have read the posts above and it sounds like it is possible to record saved shows from a Time Warner HD box to the Philips DVDR615/17. I have a sony gx300 but it does not have the component input. I bought a 615 today and I cannot get it to work. I called Philips and they said that the 615 will not do what I want it to. Can someone/anyone offer advise on how I can get my programs saved to dvd. I was told by Time Warner that the set top box I have only uses the component output. That the coax/rca and s video outputs on the back are inop.

Unregistered guest
True Hi-Def requires enormous bandwidth. The technology is not affordable today. (~$10K for a studiograde box). The best I have seen is high speed S-Video in analog mode. We have a new digital (actually a multi format unit) VHS recorder from Panasonic that we are eager to try.
This may provide a marginally better signal since the noise will be lower and the dyanmic range is higher

Gormie
Unregistered guest
Boston-DVR-User: I will cook you dinner and pay you if you come over and hook up my Philips DVDR615 to my High Def cable box and television set! LOL

Boston-DVR-User
Unregistered guest
Hey Gormie , I'm not familiar with the 615 but if it has S-Video in and you have a set top box with S-Video out you should be able to see and record the HD broadcasts , although not in true HD format. The Philips HDRW 720 letter boxes these but it's still way better than any recording on the analog channels. I bought the 720 soley for the component input which I'm not using . I've had the device for about 8 months with little problems. The remote and it's reuse of buttons is not the best but last years "semi-hd" recording of the Pats superbowl still looks great.

Anonymous

"A 99 cent rg-59 coax cable and a $2 splitter solves the problem nicely without degrading the original signal on it's way to your display."

Ignorant.

I watch DVD movies as much as I watch DirecTV on my HDTV, so it is only common sense that I would also want (like other posters) the option of simply selecting a channel that is receiving the SAT channel on my DVD recorder/player. When it comes in to the recorder/player via S-Video or composite out of my DirecTV supplied TiVo HD DVR (no player), yes, it looks like crap (few stations are HD - they ALL look like crap, too, same as the HD stations). So you have to go back to switching your TV input ... which also results in no hope of recording even the regular non-HD shows to your DVD-R or RAM discs for permanent archiving.

If you have a TiVo DVR and dual Sat in, like me, there is NO Coax output on it, only COAX SAT inputs that then feed the signal -either via Component or HDMI- to your TV.

My non HD, direct tube sets have plain SAT receivers that have coax "output to TV" that you can pass thru your DVD/VCR/DVD Recorders without a problem and work/look fine.

It is lousy that more expensive HD sets can't have this same convenient and useful ability. Composite ans S-Video don't look good enough to view on the majority of HDTV flat screen sets ... period.

HD_Filmtek
Unregistered guest
All of the equipment mentioned in this thread are pro-sumer at best. The initial post was regarding component inputs not HD recording. The choices are few for component inputs but some models in this thread have been mentioned (thanks for the Phillips suggestion). If your gonna want to record true uncompressed HD...1080i or progressive, or progressive segmented frame via component inputs your gonna have to pullout your wallet and start looking at broadcast level solutions. Compression on HD signals via cable or satellite are crap anyway...and now with HDV bitrates being accepted as HD..something like 19Mbits/sec ( even less than DVCAM) it aint gonna get any better.

Just my opinion

Unregistered guest
I was just out at Best Buy and was surprised to find almost every recorder there is without Component Inputs...

I was able to find two models that HAS component inputs and outputs...both of them were Magnavox...one was a lower end $149 one and the other was around $229 and had a built-in VCR...

Does anyone have any experience with either of the Magnavox models with Comp Inputs???

Thanks

fx
Unregistered guest
Why do you care so much about component inputs? The DVD recorders still only accept 480i data then change it into an analog data stream then reencode it back into 480i to record on your DVD.

You are just as well of if not better by taking either S-Video or RCA composite cable outputs and connecting them to your DVD recorder.

xvxvxvx

xMarkx
Unregistered guest
fx,

The reason *I* care about component input is simple. My HD-DVR cable box from Time-Warner(which records HD & SD) will only output video over component outputs. The composite and S-video outputs have been *disabled* by the cable company. (I think they don't want people without an HD set getting the more expensive HD boxes with larger hard drives. Disabling those other outputs takes care of that problem.)

Therefore, to record *anything* from the cable box, whether is was recorded or is live, you need a DVD recorder with *component inputs". Since my box converts all video up to 1080i, I will have to go in to the advanced settings menu and set it to output 480i. Then it can be recorded onto a DVD.

Does that make sense?

fx
Unregistered guest
"Does that make sense?

Yes with a but on the end. When you go into the settings menu to change the output to 480i you can also change them to send data over the S-Video connections. I honestly don't believe any cable company in America has disabled those outputs but they are restricted by the firmware design and implementation to not output data concurrently with the component outputs enabled for an HD signal.

If you will list the STB make (Motorola or Scientific Atlanta) I can tell you for sure.

xvxvxvx

xMarkx
Unregistered guest
fx,

I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000HD cable box from Time-Warner in the Raleigh, NC market. In the advanced settings menu, you are allowed to change the output format (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i). The cable box will upconvert or downconvert as necessary to match the selected output format. You *are not* able to select which output connectors are enabled.

Today, I did a couple of tests to make sure I was telling the story right. With the output format set to 480i, the S-Video output is disabled, the composite output is disabled (labeled VCR archive), but the component outputs will output 480i. How do I know? I have a 13" Sony TV (non-HD, normal NTSC) that happens to have component inputs (KV13FS100) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006JP8U

When I set the cable output format to 480i, the S-Video does not work, but the component outputs plugged into the Sony non-HD work fine. It won't work at 480p or anything above that. The cable box even downconverts HD to display on the TV at 480i.

So given my current cable box, I need a DVD recorder that has component inputs (after setting the cable box to 480i). I plan to upgrade to the 8300 model of the cable box due to the intermittent audio dropouts on the 8000.

There is a DVI output on the box also. I haven't tried it, but I've been told it is also disabled.

I'm not sure exactly why they chose to set it up this way, but that is the way my cable box works.

Mark

fx
Unregistered guest
Mark,

Three suggestions, first register with Sci Atl's Explorers Club here:

http://www.scientificatlanta.com/explorerclub/

You can then ask your questons directly to tech personell at Sci Atl, free of charge.

Or try this:

If you have S-Video or Composite Video plus audio cables in your Video1 TV input...

1. Select a SD channel
2. Press PIP
3. Press SWAP to put the SD channel in the small screen
4. With the TV remote, change input to Video1

The best solution is:

To get that 8300HD right away, all your problems will go away.

After all that I finally figured out how to do what you want Mark:

Have you tried the 'Send To VCR' function? It will certainly send an output via S-Video and component. Sends output via composite and SVideo ... performed in background so you can keep watching other stuff at the same time.

Good luck,

xvxvxvx

xMarkx
Unregistered guest
fx,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out the SA club and try the PIP SWAP suggestion.

The "Send to VCR" function does not show up anywhere in any menu functions, despite the VCR archive connectors.

I do plan to get an 8300 soon and will let you know how it functions, but from what I have heard from friends in town who have one, all outputs except component are still disabled. I don't think it has to do with the functions of the box....both have the ability to do what I want. I believe that Time Warner ordered them with firmware so they would operate as they do, for whatever their reasoning is.

But knowing I can set the output format to 480i and buy a DVD Recorder with component inputs at least gives me one solution that I know will work.

Thanks for your help

Mark

xMarkx
Unregistered guest
fx,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out the SA club and try the PIP SWAP suggestion.

The "Send to VCR" function does not show up anywhere in any menu functions, despite the VCR archive connectors.

I do plan to get an 8300 soon and will let you know how it functions, but from what I have heard from friends in town who have one, all outputs except component are still disabled. I don't think it has to do with the functions of the box....both have the ability to do what I want. I believe that Time Warner ordered them with firmware so they would operate as they do, for whatever their reasoning is.

But knowing I can set the output format to 480i and buy a DVD Recorder with component inputs at least gives me one solution that I know will work.

Thanks for your help

Mark

Anonymous

I've been asking the same question: "Do I DVD recorder with component video inputs?". After reading the following link, it looks like I don't need it...right now.

http://hometheater.about.com/od/dvdrecorderfaqs/f/dvdrecgfaq13.htm

I don't want to lower my component video outputs from my DVR just to record a DVD. When I record via my s-video port, my DVD playback (progrssive scan output) looks really sharp.

I own a Coby DVD-R1100 DVD recorder with componet video inputs...but i don't use those inputs (if I want a copy of a DVD, I use my PC). It's takes a bit getting used to the unit. I can't press buttons in rapid succession or else the unit locks up or fails at recording. But I've had more success than failures.

One thing I haven't figured out is why my s-video out to my Comcast DVR is fixed at 4:3. If I view my dvi/hdmi signal, it's letterbox but not on the s-video port. Any explanations?

Thanks!

fx
Unregistered guest
"One thing I haven't figured out is why my s-video out to my Comcast DVR is fixed at 4:3. If I view my dvi/hdmi signal, it's letterbox but not on the s-video port. Any explanations? "

S-Video is an analog only source normally transmitted at 480i or 480p. It must be letterboxed because the Comcast STB is not capable of outputting an anamorphic picture via the S-Video connection so it becomes 4:3 ratio.

One advantage you might find using your component cables it that your DVD recorder might be capapable if setting the flags correctly and record an anamorphic image to your DVD so it will play correctly on wither a widescreen or a 4:3 ratio display.

xvxvxvx

Username: Xtech

Olympia, WA Usa

Compatibility Blues......It's all about purity, whether video or audio. Yes, your current consumer DVD recorders are not HD or progressive. But there is a small gain to be had in picture quality and compatibility with component video input over S-vid or compos-v when recording to DVD. Sure it's only interlaced but chances are the electronic signal path in your DVD is far superior than the after thought of your cable box designers......
PS: Don't scrimp on the cables.....

fx
Unregistered guest
" Sure it's only interlaced but chances are the electronic signal path in your DVD is far superior than the after thought of your cable box designers......

This makes no sense. You will be getting the 480i signal from the cable box output anyway. It will still be changed to an analog signal within the recorder before being changed back when it is recorded on the DVD in 480i so there should be very little is any difference in quality.

xvxvxvx

Kevio
Unregistered guest
I've seen composite signals that looked better than SVideo. It all depends on your cables and your signal path.

Kevio
Unregistered guest
By the way, I'm in Cary, NC and have the Philips DVDR 615/37 and the Time Warner/Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD DVR. I've run into the same problems others have talked about. For now I just have the component out of the DVR going to my Philips HDTV and an SVideo cable going from the Philips DVDR to the TV. Then I have a Coax going from the DVR to the DVDR for recording.

ATSCISFREE
Unregistered guest
It's still not too late to get a mdp-130 (atsc hdtv pci card). The next step is to build one of these:
http://www.comsec.com/software-radio.html
http://comsec.com/wiki?AnalogToDigitalConverter
http://comsec.com/wiki?HowtoHdTv
http://comsec.com/wiki?UniversalSoftwareRadioPeripheral

Use the MDP-130 card to record your own ATSC modulated signal. Getting the mpeg stream to the modulator is still an issue.
It's still being worked on. The issue is that ATSC modulators are probably going to be illegal soon.

Armand K.
Unregistered guest
This was all so informative. Thank you all. I just bought the Philips DVR615 for its component input and now I am thinking of taking it back; but first I would like to post this question: I am not too worried about recording from cable or satellite. I simply do not want to bother with dvd copying on my PC, so I bought a Momitsu DVD player which has built in Macrovision elimination. Now, I want to connect it to a dvd recorder to copy dvd-to-dvd; so with Macrovision removed, is the component input on a dvd recorder going to result in a better copy than an S-video input or not? That is what I wish to find out. Any comments?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1850
The PC will make far better copies faster. I don't know why you are afraid of the PC. Burners last longer than standalones. I got less than 1000 burns from a $800 standalone, I've done around 4000 on a $70 NEC burner, they are under $50 now, and it's still going strong.

Armand K.
Unregistered guest
Absolutely, you are correct; but I am not interested in large volume cpying. I just want to make a copy for personal collection once in a while and it is nice to be able to copy a dvd while I am watching it, then forget about it. Using the PC, I would have to find copying software that removes Macrovision. Such software is not usually from trusted or legitimate sources, or is that not true? I do have two DVD burners, an external on my Desktop, and an internal on my laptop. Is there legitimate software from trustworthy sources that would eliminate both macrovision and region limitations?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1851
All you need is DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter, both of which are free. Most discs can be done with shrink alone, some of the newer discs have to be run through decrypter first. You need decrypter to burn, shrink doesn't have a burner. When you click backup in shrink, under "target device" there's an option "ISO image file and burn with decrypter". If you go into "settings" under "tools" in decrypter, you can set it to automatically delete the image after it burns.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm

Gold Member

Post Number: 1852
One more thing, if your burners are new, they probably have a riplock on them. If so you need a DVD-ROM, or you need to use hacked firmware to remove the riplock.

Armand K.
Unregistered guest
Thank you so much for the help. You have convinced me. I have dvd shrink already, but I will need to get Decrypter. You answered another question for me. DVD Shrink was not working on my Sony external dvd burner, and I could not figure out why because it worked for my brother. Now I know thanks to you that my Sony burner is likely riplocked. Next, any idea where to find hacked firmware?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1854
The riplock limits the read speed, it doesn't stop the burner from working with shrink. Sony is Lite On, it may not be riplocked. If it is you can tell by the read speed. A dual layer disc should read in about 12-18 minutes or so. If the drive is riplocked, it will take a lot longer to read the disc. Run a dual layer disc through decrypter in file mode, if the read speed gets to 7x or so the drive isn't riplocked. If there's hacked firmware for your drive, it would be at CD Freaks. When you say the burner doesn't work, what's the problem? Shrink doesn't have a burn engine if that's where the problem was.

Unregistered guest
I have a Philips DVDR615/37, with a comcast HD digital cable box and a westerndigital HD TV. Both boxes require cable, but it will only work for one. I can either get the recorder workin, but no digital cable, and vise versa. Tried using a splitter. still no signal for one of them. Ive tried about 900 different ways of connecting, nothing works. Just want to record some basic shows doesnt matter if its in HD or not.

Unregistered guest
Hi guys,
I am using component and audio connection from Explorer 8000 directly to HDTV to save possibility to watch HD. Now I am trying to connect Explorer 8000 to Sony RDR-HX900. I cannot change the ouput of Explorer 8000 to SD mode to activate S-video or coaxial (RF) cable connection to RDR-8000.
Who has an idea?
Thanks.
Vitaly.
Morrisville, NC

brandonNYC
Unregistered guest
I just purchased the samsung DVD-R120 and was confronted with the same issues people are discussing here. The unit does not have component in, but does have it out. My current setup is to have my time warner 8300 svideo into the recorder and then component out of the samsung into ONE of the component inputs of my tv. I also have the 8300 component out as the SECOND input to my tv. Normally I will just watch tv with the component out from the dvr (so I get hi-def), and then when I want to transfer content from my DVR to DVD, i switch the input source. I will have degraded quality to svideo, but my understanding is that that's the best I could get anyway. This works for me.

Unregistered guest
Maybe you can all help me too. Just purchased a DIGITALMAX DMD-R0501 DVD Recorder from Circuit City. I have a Samsung DLP with HDTV Cable Box from Comcast. I am so confused with the connections. I do have additional components in on the TV. I also have a VCR connected to this system. The manual states CABLE BOX => DVD RECORDER => HDTV. Where in the chain should the VCR Go? So they say: Connect The components to the "IN" of the DVD Recorder. I assume these ae the componets currently on the back of the HD Cable Box? They also say to connect the OUT Coaxil from the Cable Box to the IN on the recorder, then to the TV (This is where I am confused with the VCR). I did all this and no image on the TV. AUdio was OK.

Bobbyb35
Unregistered guest
Hey, Thanks but never mind. I actually layed in bed last night and figured how to do it, and it works!!!!!

Carol2912
Unregistered guest
while you were laying in bed tell me how to hook it up, I got the same one for xmas & can't figure it out...I have comcast with a digital cable box

Farazmand
Unregistered guest
I have a dvd recorder and an tv with intergrated freeview, now do i hook it up so i can record freeview as well

RickC
Unregistered guest
So far I like my 615/37. It records well using S-video.
Playback of both commercial and homemade discs shows every chapter flag. Is this normal? Or is there a setting or firmware upgrade to disable this activity? Its very annoying.

Unregistered guest
After much searching, I finally found the answer that many people (especially xMarkX) in this thread are looking for. I realize that the thread is pretty old, but I want to post my findings so that anyone who Googles this problem later will have the solution.

I have a very similar setup to Mark: Time Warner Scientific Atlanta 8000HD DVR, HD-TV, DVD Recorder with NO component inputs. DVR works great when connected to my TV via component cables. Like him, I assumed that the S-video output on the DVR would work fine (possibly after a few adjustments to the DVR settings at most) when I needed to transfer video to my DVD-R. I found that the box would only output video through the component outs. Everything else seemed disabled. I had an extremely important football game on the DVR that I wanted on DVD, so I refused to give up, even after Time Warner tech support told me that there's nothing I can do other than get a DVD-Recorder with component inputs (an investment I didn't want to make).

I finally found the answer, and it is REALLY simple. Time Warner has the 8000HD boxes factory set to HD mode. In this mode, all non-HD outputs ARE INDEED disabled. After searching for over 5 hours, I finally found a random post that solved my problem. By pressing the "VOL -" and "CHAN +" on the front of the DVR AT THE SAME TIME, you can switch the 8000HD from HD mode to SD mode (and vice versa). MAKE SURE you're viewing a non-HD channel when you switch to SD mode, or it will automatically revert to HD mode. After doing this switch (how long you hold down the buttons varies from 1 second to 5 or so), the S-video output works fine. When you're ready to switch back to HD mode, just turn to an HD channel, and turn the DVR power off and back on (or hold the two buttons down again while viewing an HD channel).

I hope this helps a lot of people in my boat, and allows them to waste MUCH less time than I did in order to get this simple answer. Here's a link to the site where I found the golden answer:

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/716249/an/0/ page/0

drjackbo
Unregistered guest
Here's another setup that appears to work:

1. Run component video directly from cable box (in my case: Motorola 6412 Phase III from Comcast) to HD TV (say Input 1).
2. Run coax from RF-out on cable box to RF-in on DVD-R (Panasonic DMR-ES20).
3. Run component video from DVD-R to HD TV (say Input 2).

Notes:
- This assumes your TV has 2 component video inputs.
- This also assumes that the RF-out on your cable box is enabled.
- When viewing TV on Input 1, you get HD TV directly from the cable box.
- Recording onto the DVD-R gives you a standard TV signal and, therefore, playback of recorded video (on Input 2 of the TV) is standard.

I hope this info helps someone. This was a hassle to get working, but the posts here helped me understand the issues.

Good luck!

Unregistered guest
Here's my dilema. I recently purchased an HDTV set top box from my local cable company. I have the component out hooked up to my tv and the s-video hooked up to my DVD recorder. When I am on a non HD channel my recorder will record no problem. The second I switch to a HD channel I can still view it through the DVD recorder (albeit not in HD due to the S-Video) but when I hit record all I get is "Recording Prohibited" on EVERY HD channel no matter what is playing. What's the deal? Anyone else come across this issue?

Username: Mkamerick

I have read many but not all the posts in this thread, and I haven't seen my particular issue come up.
I can record to my Panasonic DMR-ES20 using the
S-Video output of my cable box,
but the recording is
letterboxed both vertically and horizontally.
Not at all what I want.
The cable box puts out a signal
on RF, S-Video, Composite, and Component, but of
course only the Component out is HD. What I want
is a full screen 16:9 recording, even if at 480p.
The recorder can do this,
as my TV will downconvert
a broadcast HD signal to NTSC out via composite
outputs, but it will not downconvert an HD signal
coming in via Component inputs (the cable box).
Nor will my A/V receiver downconvert, though
it will upconvert.
The output of the TV when it does downconvert is
not great quality, but it is fully 16:9.
What I need is a box that will downconver the
HD signal to, say, 480p or 480i on S-Video, but preserves the screen formatting.

Any thoughts?

Bronze Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Post Number: 17
It is the Panasonic recorder that will not display/record the 16:9 480i input in any manner other than letterboxed format. Nothing you do externally will ever change this. Sony makes a DVD recorder that will record and correctly flag an anamorphic 16:9 ratio 480i input, so does Toshiba and Pioneer.

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us