Archive through February 16, 2007

Username: Npb

Post Number: 3
I'm *definitely* no expert, but it could be the power supply. My HLN was out-of-warranty when I had my recent problem with it. I asked Samsung customer service if they'd help with the repairs, and they agreed to cover parts if I paid for labor, but I had to use their preferred repair tech. Might be worth it for you to see if Samsung will cover part or all of the repairs even if your TV is out of warranty.

Username: Rufe6

Post Number: 1
Well I have been reading these threads over and over again trying to find what may be wrong with my samsung hlr5677w and maybe I have passed over it. Anyway I have had the sammy for 1.5 yrs and has been used every day, lamp says 5206hrs the lamp died and I replaced it...perfect it works agains! Until 2 weeks went by and now it just shuts itself off anywhere from 20 min to 1.5hrs it's unpredictable. I called samsung they unplug and hold power button for 30 sec. this didnt make much sence to me but...why not? Uh yeah that and nothing would have been the same thing. Does anyone know or have an Idea of what could be wrong?

Post Number: 2
Just some more info on the hlr5677, when the tv shuts off the top 2 lights blink and I am able to turn it back on immedialty, thanks for any help.

Username: J8kup

Hey Rob, Replace the lamp.

Darren,
I had the exact problem and the time the TV would work became shorter and shorter. Finally had to get service out and after 3 trips and replacing every part, it finally works again. Each time the tech would replace something, it would work for about a week and then we would repeat the problem. Luckily, he promised me a maximum repair of 700.00 so the last 2 trips did not cost me. Its been 3 weeks now and all works fine. He replaced the lamp (again) the ballst, the Board the power supply and the color wheel that I am aware of. Still don't know what the real problem was. Good luck

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 906
Re-seat the lamp and make sure the door/hatch is closed securely.

Username: Ryanb

Cheese? I had read on here before, but can't find now, a comment on using cheese cloths to cover the back vents to keep dust out. I finally saw these at Home Depot in the paint department (buying paint) and decided to purchase them. I wanted to know how to use these? Just tape over the vent on the outside and change every couple months or so (when visibly dirty I assume)??

Also, even if this is ran by FYI, which I'm not sure if it is or trying to imply that, but he or she's always replying to posts and offering advice that seems good, so I just wanted to say thanks to him/her for staying involved with the same forum, let alone a 'help' forum, for at least a year (since I first came across this site thanks to my screaming color wheel).

Username: Budclerk

took the lamp out and tried re-seating it.... that didnt do the trick... when the lamp is out of the tv, is there anyway to test it or see that there might be a problem with it?? should i just try getting a replacement lamp to see if that fixes the problem before calling for a samsuung service tech??

any other suggestions for simple checks or procedures to do to try to troubleshoot this problem myself??

thanks again for the help all!!!!

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 907
Yea...you need a spare lamp anyway. That's always the first best thing to try. You really can't tell it's bad by looking at it unless the internal bulb is actually shattered. These lamps have electrodes that create an arc across a 1mm gap through mercury gas. The gas can dissipate. The gap can widen. The electrodes can become less conductive.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 908
ryan b,

Thanks for the kind words. :-)

I like the cheesecloth idea if it's not too restrictive.

Username: Jeff_matthews

rob, I don't know that you can tell much of anything from the lights blinking. Manual says replace lamp when I had a problem before, but my lamp was just fine.

You will know your lamp is fine, I think, if it shines brightly. That you have a noise indicates another problem. The lamp should not make noise. It is just a light bulb.

The problem I had is TV would shut-off automatically. I would try to turn it back on, and I would hear a constant screech or hum - like something was jammed. No picture at that point. Turn it off, unplug it, turn it back on, okay for a minute or so, automatically shuts itself down again, and repeat....

It turned out to be the color wheel was bad. The color wheels have bearings, and the bearings gave out.

And that was just my experience. I think there is a big guessing game you have to play to try to fix these TV's.

FYI, replacing the color wheel was one heck of a disassembly and re-assembly job. Very do-able, but only if you are inclined in a serious way.

Post Number: 4
Thank you for all the info, I came home and took off the back and watched as the tv ran...the fans are working fine and the lamp went out and then it shut down, I am going to try to return the lamp as it is only 2 weeks old, I hope it is just defective. We'll see, does anyone know if samsungparts.com will send a new replacement at no charge?

Username: Modimplant

San Diego, California USA

Post Number: 9
COMMERCIAL POST

If anyone needs a lamp for there Samsung DLP they should consider Discount-Merchant.com
Here is a link:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SAMSUNG%2DBP96%2 D00224J%2DOEM

$145 for Brand NEW OEM LAMP (volume discounts for 2+ lamps)

Best Part, LAMPS are all in stock and shipping is usually SAME DAY via FedEx Ground / FedEX or USPS Priority Mail / Express.

http://www.Discount-Merchant.com
MI Technologies, Inc.
619-710-2637 x207

Username: Veeps

I have a problem with my Samsung HL-S5087W DLP tv. I bought it 3 days ago. I also just bought an xbox. I hooked it up with the component cables to the tv. Then all of a sudden the tv just turned off and the 3 lights on the front started blinking. The tv is fine when i'm watching anything else or if I connect the xbox with the normal video. Did I get a defective tv?

Username: Irishfred

Post Number: 5
Rob,

It could be the ballast - I had the same type of problem about a year ago.

Unfortunately, you would have to try your lamp in another television to see if it fails. If it does not, then that's where I would place my bet.

Username: Fizzle

I've got an HL-R6168W that is now 9 days out of warranty with a new 2 inch vertical band that is darker than the rest of the screen running up the far left side. I've seen this problem posted before, but no suggestions as to what might be causing it. Any help out there?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 912
The digital board is heating up. Hope it's not too late for yours. Extended warranties are a practical requirement for these new technologies!

Don't forget to take the back off your set and clean things up in there with a brush attachment to your vac hose. Cleaning the inside every six months can prevent premature failure of several major components. After all, it's a projector that pulls air through it to keep things cool. With the air flow comes dust, lint, hair, bugs, etc. Pay extra attention to the cooling fans. Tape the cover switch shut and power up the set. Check that the fans spin equally and quietly. They are easy to replace if needed.

Username: Mlechevet

New York USA

PROBLEM WITH SHADOW ON LEFT SIDE OF SCREEN

I've got a Samsung HL-R 4266W that about 10 months old. A few months ago I started noticing that on any dark image (night scene on DVD), dark scene in game, blank NO SIGNAL screen that the last 6 to 8 inches of the picture on the left hand side is darker than the rest...like a dark stripe 8 inches wide. It is especially noticable when you turn the TV off and for those few seconds the lamp is still on with no picture on the screen.
I called Samsung Service and they sent service out. My TV is then taken away for over 2 weeks and returns with a new bulb and ballast. Still not fixed.
The problem diminishes the higher the brightness level is turned up and there is no noticeable shadow on anything other than a picture with a lot of blacks in it.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 916
The only thing that will cause a shadow or darkening is a speck of dust on the lens or the mirror.

Never allow a service person to remove your set from your home. Anything that needs service can be replaced in your home, period! They can cause more harm during transport and it's completely unnecessary!

Call 1-800-SAMSUNG and tell them what the idiot service person did. Request a different service shop. The service manual tells exactly how to clean the lens and mirror, but you're under warranty. Find someone willing to perform the procedure. If that doesn't solve the problem, request that the light engine be replaced. That can be accomplished in your home as well.

Username: Grizzly

Great thread with usefull info! I am seeking help too...
ran into my 1st problem with HL-P5085WX/XAA on 10-Oct-06.
Purchased from CC on 27-Nov-04.
Was watching TV, then
1. picture went blank,
2. TV automatically shut down,
3. the status shows an /!\ with a little lightbulb symbol.
Manual says to replace the lamp.
Bought the lamp (BP96-00677A) from Samsungparts.com for $195.
Installed the new lamp, hit the power, got sound for a 10 seconds but still no picture, then the TV auto shut down again.
Called 1-800-SAMSUNG, they arranged for a Tech to contact me.
Well the guy just finished looking at the TV. I think he did some voltage meter reads and he said he fiddled with the ballast... unfortunately, he could not fix the problem and said that it looks like it (HL-P5085W) needs a new light engine. He said the part # is BP96-0066C with cost-price of $1776. Holy crap! He said he will charge me $1474 install included. Did a quick search but I could not find this part on-line.
Does this sound like the right conclusion & price? Appreciate any/all help!

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 918
Don't believe that tech. It's not the light engine. It may be the digital board. I'd work with 1-800-SAMSUNG to get, at the very least, the part covered. Ask for a different service shop. Be very persistant! They have done things out of warranty for original owners of their sets many times.

Username: Grizzly

Honolulu, HI

Thanks for the tip, FYI!
I will give Samsung another call.
Unfortunately, I think there is only 1 service shop on the island (Oahu)... will confirm when I call.
Would this be the digital board?
Part # BP96-00696A
Description: ASSY DMD BOARD P
Specification: L7,DMD BOARD,SERVICE
Price: $678
Oh well, you're right-- best to try to get to the bottom of this with a Samsung rep.

I did contact Mastercard and asked about their (extending the manufacturer's) warranty coverage. After going thru a bunch of questions like purchase price, date, place, original warranty details, they said a package would be mailed to me with instructions on the next steps to take.
Hopefully I won't have to use this plan B.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 919
You can trace the wires from the ballast back to the digital control board. I don't think it's the DMD board in the "P" models.

Excellent plan B you have there!

Username: Jeff_kurr

Atlanta, GA Us

I am able to see pay per view on the samsung 6768 dlp. I am not paying for ppv. there are certain channels that show the programs. the problem is the ppv last for about an hour sometimes 10, or 20 minutes and I get the scramble signal message. I can generally change the channel to continue to was ppv or I can unplug the TV for about 3 mimutes and I will get back my ppv. has anyone experienced that?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 921
Kewl! :-)

Enjoy it while you can!

Username: Ryanb

I have a HLN507W and recently, my cable (Charter DVR) has been darker than usual for about the first 30 min the set is on and only the first time I turn on the tv for the day. The cable menu and the screen is darker like I have the color cranked way up. People are darker or super tan looking. I check settings in the tv and my cable and nothing has changed. Then like 30 minutes after the set has been on the color will just sort of flip and go back to being normal. Why is this? Is this my cable or cable box? Could this be my lamp going out?

Username: Saints_fan

FYI,

I have the HLR5067WX/XAA. I have had it for 1 year exactly. For the entire time I have had the TV, there seems to be jumping light blocks dancing around in the top left hand portion of the TV. It is more noticible when on non HD stations from H10 reciever. Any suggestions? Ive called Samsung and they are sending someone out. Thanks in advance

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 936
ryan,

Need more info! How does a DVD look? Game box?
Sounds like a lamp issue if all inputs are affected.

Caden,

Direct TV non-HD is highly compressed video. This causes macro-blocking. Should be intermittent, though, and more than just the upper corner. Solid color backgrounds are where it's most noticeable. The fact that it's not consistant probably means it's not the set. How does a the internal tuner, a DVD, or other input look?

Username: Badkarma001

Dear Forum Members:

I purchased a HL-S5687W from BB on 03 Nov. It worked fine for about three weeks when the optical input failed. I discussed my options with BB crew. The gentleman who sold me the unit was very understanding and told me to bring in the problem unit and they would exchange it. I had to wait two days for a unit to come in (stock was low due to Thanksgiving Day sales...understandable). Two days later (yesterday), I exchanged units and set it up. On initial use, everything was fine. However, not eight (08) hours into the new unit, it began to fail.

Here is my question. After changing source inputs from DVD (HDMI cable with Samsung DVD unit), and to my DTV broadcast, the image quality took a turn for the worse. I have searched high and low to find a decent explaination for this problem before coming to the forum. I now see vertical lines, running from right to left at about 2-inch intervals. Each line is made of pixels from colour in the image from the left which is seen in these lines. These pixel lines are about the width of a quarter. They are not white in colour, bu rather they contain pixels from another part of the image. It is like a "shutter effect".

This problem occurs with all inputs (DTV, cable, XBox, XBox 360, & DVD). The only time I cannot see this problem is when there is a true black image on the screen. There are no "lines" then.

I searched Samsung's site for an FAQ. They have one that closely resembles the issue, but they are speaking of white lines. These are not white. They did not have an explaination for this problem.

I am going to take it back to BB and ask that the correct this problem immediately. This time, I am not going to do any of the work. As a good customer who has just purchased an expensive piece of kit, and who has had to exchange it once already, I do not feel compelled to be accomodating in any fashion this time.

As the local BB pulled the last unit out of the St. Louis warehouse, I have a feeling that it may be a while until I can get this replaced. If they cannot provide me with a satisfactory answer and generous help, then I will ask for a full refund and then buy my unit elsewhere. The guys that worked with me in AV were excellent and were very understanding and went out of their way to make things easy for me. Yet, it was a bit of a hassle to get management to sign of on this the first time. This will not be repeated.

However, I would like to know, for my own edification, what the hell is going on here. After reading up the diverse array of problems, solutions, and discussions here on the forum, I have to say that it is a good source for puzzling out problems to find solutions.

It is nice to know that there is a place, such as this, that allows a person to do a little reading and some research to acquire the requisite basics in many areas prior to proceeding.

Therefore, I would simply like to know what the forum thinks is the problem. I would like to have some semi-technical information on hand prior to going into BB tomorrow and state my case and my demands.

Finally, I work with many different complicated systems, both hardware and software. We use high-end components and bare-bones tools. Many of the projects we work on are quick and nasty builds that we know are going to fail. That is why we build them.....to see how they will fai. Other projects are very carefully built with the twin goals of durability and craftsmanship in mind. These are supposed to last forever. However, and for no known reason, they fail.

So, I completely understand when new tech comes into the market that does not completely work as intended or as advertised. That is how progress is made in future models. This is why car racing is important to your family car.

As this is my second Samsung unit in under a month, many would think that I would disavow Samsung products. Not yet. Things happen that we have no control over. So I don't become too angry up about it. What I do become angry up about is the difficutly in fixing the problem that I did not create. This, I believe, is what really needs work in the consumer electronics industry. It should be a seamless endeavor to have something under warranty and/or refund/return/exchange programme be addressed with little or no fanfare and difficulty. To date, this simply does not exist.

Sorry for the rant. The customer service system in general sucks, most of the people mean well, and I am on my second Samsung HL-S5687W in under a month.

If anybody has any idea why my eight-hour unit decided to turn into a large pinstripe montior, I would be indebted to you.

Thank you in advance for both your time and your conideration regarding this problem. I look forward to future correspondence at your earliest convenience.

BK100

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 938
You're a rare breed, BK!

Most would come on here and slam Samsung in a heartbeat. I'd say that particular truck load had a bad ride or production had a bad run. Sounds like the digital board flaked. You're right! These are new inventions. Anything in mass production is going to have some percentage of failures. It's just a fact of life. The DLP technology is amazing, though and my research tells me it's by far, the best display technology available today. If you can just manage to get one safely into your home, it will sit there and operate flawlessly for years. A new lamp renders the display to new condition, unlike chemical displays that will discolor with age and fail completely to an un-repairable state. The Texas Instruments pdf white paper http://www.dlp.com/dlp_technology/images/dynamic/white_papers/153_Reliability_pa per.pdf on DMD chip reliability proves the chip itself can perform beyond 30 years without a single mirror failure. If only they could get the lamp, color wheel, digital board, and power supply to last that long, what a display it would be! The new LED model takes care of two of those weak links at least. It was not available when I purchased and is still too expensive for me so far. I've had my HL-S 5087W for almost a year without issue, but a few others have reported some problem with the set turning itself off. I really wish I had purchased the HL-S 5688W as I have not seen a single negative post about it in this or the AVS forums. I really don't think that one brand has any greater quality than another. Therefore, I have decided to stay with the company that has provided me with best factory customer service. Samsung is way above the rest in standing by there products. Obviously, you need to get past the first level of support if you're beyond your warranty, but they are honest and will resolve a problem for the original owner to retain a future customer. That's rare these days. Others lie to their customers and send them packing. I'll probably get a Samsung LED DLP next year when the price drops. It will be my fifth generation of DLP. I've been very pleased with the advancement of the technology and may actually keep my current model for the bedroom. Just my $.02!

FYI,
It does it on DVD too.

It is mainly in the upper left hand corner, though, where these bright jumpy blocks appear. Is this just above average pixelating? It just bothers me. I am satisfied with HD stations, but non-HD stations dont look as good as I would like.
Thanks again

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 942
Hopefully, the tech will tell you if it's something he can fix. Sometimes, adjusting the index delay in the service mode can resolve blocky compressed video...if that's really what it is. It's occurrence in just one corner is odd. Not seeing it on HD programming leads me to believe it's SD compressed video. The tech may be able to adjust most of it out. Let us know what he says and does. Best of luck!

Thanks for the help FYI!

I'll let you know what he says.

Username: Mrgary

Raleigh, NC Usa

I own a SAMSUNG DLP - HLP-5063W for over two years with flawless performance. I have been reading this forum since before purchase of this TV, and while I am a little dis-appointed in the number of problems reported, I agree with "FYI" that this is new/evolving technology, and problems will exist. Other brands have their own share of problems, includingj LCD and Plasma.
I remember during the early black and white TV days - I had to unsolder and replace selenium rectifiers once per year, and marched down to the local drug store with a bag of vacuum tubes to test for a bad tube more times than I would like to think! When color TV came out - very expensive early units had colors marching all over the screen. Really primitive technology!
This DLP technology is totally amazing - the picture is un-matched in clarity and color reproduction. I have called SAMSUNNG SUPPORT on two occaisions with technical questions, and response was prompt and accurate. A certain percent of the posts on this forum are "cockpit problems" about connections and functions.
I am confident that SAMSUNG and other brands will continue to iron out the bugs. I also want to thank FYI for all of his time, his technical expertise, his many many helpful posts to this forum, and his excellent support of this really great technology. My $.02
p. s. Hey FYI good buddy - your link in your 12/02/06 post doesn't work!!!!

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 945
"your link in your 12/02/06 post doesn't work!"

It came right up for me!
Do you have Adobe Reader? It's a free download.
Thanks for the kind words!

Username: Sito

Newton, Ma US

Hey Grizzley I have had the Same exact problem as you have had. I have the same model HLP5085w and also bought my unit from circuit city. I purchased my unit in 04 as well and I have the same exact problems at the current moment. I was wondering how your situation was going, I called 1800Samsung and currnetly their techs say it will cost up to $800 to repair if its the dmd board which they think it is. $300 for Flat fee service and $500 for the board. I was wondering #1 how things worked out for you and #2 if anyone knows if possible or how hard it is to replace a dmd board on a HLP5085w by yourself?

Username: Stanski

First thing first....

FYI, thank you so much for your contribution to the forum (this thread in particular) you saved me a ton of money.

Ok, by reading this thread I figured out the DMD board was bad on my 1 1/2 year old HPL5663W, which sucked. :-(

I replaced the board and all is great except.... the picture is not aligned on the screen correctly. I tried to adjust the image through the service menu, but it seems to be out of focal range.

How can this be adjusted? I noticed there are screws on the DMD board with springs behind the head. Are these for adjusting?

Thanks again FYI!!!

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 951
You would benefit from the service manual, which shows in detail exactly what to loosen and tweak. The chip itself can be aligned. The engine tray can be shifted slightly in place. Finally, there are electronic adjustments in the service menu. It takes two people or a well placed mirror.

www.samsungparts.com

Username: Nvegas

First off, I'll say that I am not particularly knowledgable about electronics. I recently got a Samsung HL-S4666W DLP. I have Direct TV, but not HDTV (because trees in my yard prevent me from receiving the HD satelite signal). I have the tv connected to the Direct TV receiver by S-Video. The picture is pretty good (no snow, no visable lines, good reception) except that it appears slightly out of focus, which is most noticable when watching sports or fast moving frames, and when the screen has one solid color like the sky or grass it appears a little grainy. It probably wouldn't bother me that much but it makes my eyes hurt after a short time. I'm trying to figure out if there is way to adjust the focus of the picture, or if this is just a function of having a bigger tv but not having hdtv. I have played around with the picture adjustments a little but don't really know what I'm doing so I haven't improved the picture much. Does anyone have any advice on how to make the picture better?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 954
The set will not be appreciated or enjoyed fully without some digital HD reception. Direct TV isn't the only source. Off-air digital network channels are available in most areas. Click Choose Antenna, then, enter your zip for a list of digital HD channels in your area. www.antennaweb.org

Digital cable may be available in your area too.

You can watch compressed mpeg2 sat signal on a big screen, but it isn't pretty. I can't get far enough back for my 50" set. DTV launched two new birds and has a new 5 LNB dish for mpeg4 and local HD networks using the H20 receiver, but you would need to overcome your tree issue.

Username: Handyman73

Philadelphia, PA United States

I have an HLN5065W and I love the thing. A few years back it shut down and Samsung extended my warrantee that had expired one month earlier. A service tech came out and replaced the guts of the TV. I am now well past that warrantee and the TV stopped functioning yesterday. When I attempted to turn it on, I heard the typical powering up noise, then nothing more. The Temp light was slowly blinking. It was the only light that was blinking. It stayed off all day yesterday and after I returned from work, still just that blinking light and it wouldn't turn on. No power up noise either. I unplugged it last night and plugged it in again this morning. Still a slowly blinking light. I think I read through every post here looking for someone who had the same problem, but I couldn't find a similar scenario. I called Samsung this morning and they told me to unplug the set, hit the power button five times and then plug it back in. I did that, and still nothing. FYI had mentioned something about a thermal switch gone bad. Since my TV isn't at all too hot (it had been shut off for at least 10 hours prior to the problem), could this be the issue? Can I replace it or should I just suck it up and have someone else do it for me? Thank you for your help.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 958
Call them back and ask them to repair it again. They have your service history and may pony up. Samsung knows they have digital board failures in that model. They may even offer you a newer replacement set. It's happened before. Be persistent!

Best of luck!

Username: Brokentv

Cape Coral, FL United States

Sorry I'm new here. Searched and didn't find anyone else with this problem. I have a Samsung HL-R6167W and it is only 15 months old. No ext warr. Yesterday the show I was watching was not very clear, choppy and looked very digital with large squares instead of a smooth picture. After adjusting from Movie to Standard and back again it seemed to be better. Turn the tv back on today and it now does the 3 led light blink, and doesn't reset after unpluging it. I removed the bulb and it appears ok, is there a test with a multi-meter I can do to see if it is the bulb? Where is the best price for a BP96-00826A(P)? Should I even try to call Samsung or fix myself? Thanks for your help...

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 960
Try a new lamp first.

www.samsungparts.com

Username: Maxgator

Tampa, Florida Usa

Post Number: 9
Brian - did you by any chance register it with samsung online when you bought it? They give you a 3 mo extension to the 1 year warranty if you did. Also, did you happen to buy it with an AMEX? If so, I believe all AMEX cards give you double mfg'ers warranty up to 1 year (that may be gold and up only).

I would call samsung and see if you can get them to cover it anyway - they may.

Newton, Ma US

Hey FYI I have the same problem as Grizzley. I have a samsung HLP5085w and my unit powers up has a bit of sound then shuts down and then the lamp light goes on. I've tried replacing the lamps so thats not it. I've talked to a tech and he said it could be either the dmd board, or the ballast, or some optical sensor. Full price for reparing a DMD board is $800: $300 for flat fee repair and $500 for the board. I recently found my exact tv going for $1200 online. What would you suggest? Should I try fixing the unit myself? Try calling samsung to get them to cover it? Although I've had the tv for ~ 2 1/2 years now. Or should I just pony up the extra cash and get a new unit? I'm just at a loss as of what to do at the moment. I'd love to try to fix it myself, but at the same time I don't know what exactly is specifically wrong with my unit. Any input would be appreciated from FYI and his expertise or anyone else.
Thanks

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 961
Always try Samsung!
Tell them their set should last longer than that.
Be very persistant. They may schedule a tech to check it out and cover part or all of the cost.

I think it's the digital board, but folks haven't reported back with the actual fix.

Username: Chunka

Half the screen is blacked out on my Samsung DLP. Its just the left half. The right half is fine. Just happened all of a sudden last night. Unplugged it, plugged it back, let it cool off and it still does it. Doesn't matter what input its on-dvd,tv,etc- it still only shows half the screen and the other half is totally black. Service doesnt think they can get out here till after xmas. Any ideas?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 971
Sounds like the mirror box collapsed. Samsung will replace it at no charge.

Username: Spicoli

For FYI....

Can you tell me if my HL-P4663W (I think mfg. in 2004) has the newer bearings on the color wheel? Getting ready to knock on wood because other than an exploding bulb, I've had no other problems with this great set. Thanx....

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 976
Nope! "P" models are the old style, but many of them have held up well. The air bearing frictionless design was introduced in the "R" series and was carried into the new "S" models.

Here's a link for when you hear that high pitched whine of impending doom.

http://www.jangro.com/a/2006/07/24/samsung-dlp-replace-color-wheel/

Username: Dlyons

Can anybody help me out here I have a Samsung
HLN467,after the tv is on for about 3 to 4 hours it start's to get white flashes on the sreen,I had a tv tech come out he said it was one of two bourds but he never got back to me its getting hard to watch. Thanx

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 982
Dave,

It's the digital board, which Samsung knows has a failure history.
Call 1-800-SAMSUNG prompts 2, 1, 3, 1 and tell them you know this. Get past the first support levels to Executive Customer Relations. You may be eligible for a newer replacement set. I don't think they have resolved the board failure issue with the "N" models yet.

Username: Hitmen17

I have a Samsung HL-R5067W and my question is geared towards gaming. I have had a couple of different game consoles (currently Playstation 2) hooked up to the tv and with each I have noticed about a half second delay between me pushing the controller buttons and the action being translated on to the tv. Do I possibly have something hooked up incorrectly or is this just a characteristic of this tv? I am considering purchasing a Playstation 3 but I am reluctant to spend $600 on a system that I can't truly enjoy because of the constant delay. Anybody else have this delay problem?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 986
If you have the ps2 with component video (Y, Pr, Pb) outputs...

Upload

...you can use a VGA adapter and connect to the blue VGA PC port on the set for no delay. If you have nothing but RCA you're out of luck with that old game box.

Upload

Your set scales any input signal to 720P. There can be scanning conversion delays on lower resolution inputs.

The PS-3 will have a 720P direct matching output and delay isn't an issue.

Username: Ajd6c8

Post Number: 6
interesting post above...

I run the PS2 through an A/V switchbox using the component cable pictured in FYI's post (as is the Gamecube (also component) and N64 (S-Video)). From the switchbox, the component video goes directly into the TV and the Audio goes to the stereo.

I've never experienced delay on any system, using any input on the HL-S5086W. I wonder what the difference is?

Brandon, keep us posted on your progress with this issue. I'm curious.

ps. FYI, still having that PC input "no red" issue. I have the 18 month online registration warranty, but cannot return to CC. Any thoughts? Is this a domino effect problem that I'll regret not fixing ASAP, or is it safe as-is until I get a tech out here?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 991
Anthony,

It could be as simple as a CCA color adjustment in the service menu, which is a digital board processing function. Certainly, the red is not missing from the color wheel. I doubt it will domino into a complete failure. Let us know what the tech ends up doing.

Username: Maxdog8336

Columbus, OH USA

I have a question about my TV and cable box. I recently purchased a Samsung HL-S6187W (Which has a gorgeous picture!). I also have Wide Open West HD Cable and HD DVR all in one box. Every so often the picture on my TV will lock up. If I turn off the TV and back on sometimes it goes away and sometimes it does not. This morning it happened again and when I turned it back on the picture was still stuck at the same spot and I had thick vertical green lines evenly spaced across the picture. One more piece of data. I turned the cable off and turned the TV on and the picture was still there. I originally thought it was the DVR but the sound continues normally on the TV, it is just the picture that is frozen. Any advice is appreciated. The set is only one week old. Thanks.

Username: Maxdog8336

Columbus, OH USA

Another piece of info I forgot to add. When I turn the TV on I hear a short mechanical buzzing noise like something trying to adjust itself twice before the picture comes on. Is that normal?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 992
Daniel,

Swap it out...quickly!
Something isn't right!

Newton, Ma US

Little update on my situation. I called Samsung and since my unit is within 2 years they "extended" my original factory warentee to two years. So therefore all parts and labor will be covered to fix my tv. Woohoo! All thats left is for me to get the receipt and fax it over to Samsung so they can verify the unit is within 2 years of purchase. I'll give updates as the tech comes in and fixes the tv. We'll see if it really is the DMD board, or the ballast, or the optical sensory thing lol.

Newton, Ma US

Post Number: 5
Also great thanks to FYI for urging me to call and talk to Samsung, their CS was pretty good and even the operator himself said wow at $800 repair bill after 2 years.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 998
Kewl!

Username: Confusedinindy

First time here. We have a new HL-S5065W that constantly flashes standby/temp. I know according to the manual it is check the ventation hole because it might be block and the tv is overheating, but this happens even if the tv has set all night unplugged. Once plugged back in it will attempt to turn on (sometimes turning on) and shorty there after continue to blink until it is unplgged (be it minutes or hours). It doesn't always do this but in the 3 days we have had it we have got it to turn on on 3 times.

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1003
Work out a swap.
Some stores are more difficult, but all will do it.
I like the 87W myself.

Username: Confusedinindy

Think that is what we are doing tomorrow. Thanks.

Username: Mrmongo

I have a HLP6163WX and over the last few months just above the power on disk in the center of the TV I am seeing what looks like a white reflection on the screen just above the button. The white streak is about the same width of the power button and goes up about 6 inches towards the center of the screen. It is very faint, but becomes more pronounced the longer the TV is on or if items shown are dark on that part of the screen. It is never so over powering that is all you see but if you are looking for it, it will drive you nuts. There are no other spots, problems or anything with the TV to speak of... just this comet looking streak coming up from the power button. Any help?

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1013
I can't help but think there is a light source somewhere in the room. At night...with all lights out...is it still there?

The screen is made in such a way that it gathers light into the center. The question is whether the stray white light source is external or internal.

Username: D1974e

I'm trying to hook up my computer to my Samsung HL-S5087W through my graphic card's S-Video out. My graphics card is a Geoforce4 MX420. I've downloaded the latest drivers and my video card recognizes the TV. However, when I change to the Source S-Video 2 on the TV, I get a no signal message. Has anyone experienced this problem?

Username: Labdog

Atlanta, GA

My Samsung DLP HL-P4663W is acting wierd. About 3 weeks ago one of the component inputs goes out and says "searching for signal". That left me with only one component input to switch between a DVD player and cable box. Last night the remaining input goes out and now both say
"searching for signal". The s-video works fine but the PQ is not what the DLP is capable of producing. The unit is 2 yrs, 1 month old. I called Samsung and they give me phone numbers of a couple of Samsung approved repair companies. I called the repair centers and one told me the cost will be between $400 and $800.

Has anyone had a similar problem with their TV and if so what was the outcome.

Username: Docmac100

I have the same problem as Brad Genung.

right about 2 inches above the samsung logo, there is a white spot. It has a distinct bottom line where it starts but then fans out for about 2 inches like there's a light right behing the screen. If the whole screen is bright its not easily seen, but if there are dark scenes then it really shows.

Username: Maxgator

Tampa, Florida Usa

Post Number: 10
I have a HLN4365 that is currently inoperable. According to the tech that came out when it was on its way out, the problem is a bad digital pcb. The quote to fix was 900 so I went ahead and replaced the set. But I now have the old set sitting around.

I'm trying to figure out what to do. The pcb costs about 280 so I'm considering attempting to fix it myself using the manual that's out there. I'm pretty good at fixing things but not a lot of experience with electronics. Is this a difficult repair? If it still doesn't work, is there a market for the pcb I buy on say ebay?

If I decide not to repair it - can I get anything out of the set? Is there a way to part it out to get anything meaningful? I suspect that any shop that works on these would give me something nominal if anything at all.

thanks.

Yes that is another way to describe it. Like a little flashlight is back there. I am glad it is not just me. I thought I was going nuts for a while. If anyone figures out what this is and how we can fix it, PLEASE keep me in the loop!

Username: Ajd6c8

Post Number: 10
brad,

this may seem like a stupid idea, but does the power button light up at all? Maybe the LED used for button illumination is seeping into the projection area? Perhaps there is supposed to be a "shield" around the LED to prevent this? I have no idea what I'm saying...

- tony

No that is not a dumb idea at all because I have thought the same thing. The button lights still work just fine on the TV, but the shield or backing idea has crossed my mind in the past. That is why I came on here hoping that someone else has seen the same thing on theirs and could help point me in the right direction before I tear into my TV myself and play duck, duck, goose! I am hoping that FYI can help lead us down the road to solving this on my set and anyone else that this is happening too.

Username: Npb

Maxgator, I have a 50" HLN, and I watched the tech open up my TV and replace the digital board several times. (Took him several attempts to get the right model board and after that to get one that wasn't defective.) After having observed him, I feel that the repair wouldn't be very difficult (especially if you have a manual), but I don't know what your technical expertise is. I would say that replacing the digital board would be *less* difficult than say properly putting a new motherboard in your computer case. One caveat: it may be possible that the problem is not with your digital board--in which case, you would have paid money for a part you didn't need. The repair people initially thought my problem was with my analog board. When they replaced the analog board, the TV still had the same problem, so they re-diagnosed the problem as a digital board problem. Good luck.

Username: Becker135

I've replaced the color wheel, now need to reset the CCA colors. How do I do that?

Username: Fjg

Greetings all -- hope you can help. Just over 2 weeks ago, I purchased a Samsung HL-S6187W. Absolutely stunning HD picture after properly adjusting the picture settings.

However, tonight I noticed colored horizontal lines (6 total) near the bottom of the picture. They are randomly located, about 1 inch long each, colored red & green, in fixed positions, and they are only visible when that area of the screen has a dark image. They are present on HD signal through HDMI and through composite VCR. I tried unplugging the set for 30 sec to see if they would reset -- no joy. Any ideas? Should I return the set for another, call Samsung support, or is there something I can try?

I love this set and don't want to return it if it's not a systemic problem with this model.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Username: Mrgary

Raleigh, NC Usa

FJG - I recently bought a HL-S5687W as well. Yeah factory settings are too intense and required adjusting the picture's settings. I love the picture, but have noticed on images that have bright areas and dark areas,in the dark areas the display seems to get grainy with white dots like flower dust. I tried turning of DNie and noise filter - no difference. Strange digital artifact I guess. "FYI" - you are a big "S" line fan - got any ideas??? Is it the Dynamic Black function at work. I get this on a digital play back where I don't see the same anomoly on my HL-P5063W, so feel it is related to the "S" line. I have tested both HDMI and component transmition - - same on both.

Attached are some images of the problem I listed above. Ideas? Return it or call service?
Upload
Upload
Upload

The rest of the story...

I called Samsung. The phone rep was polite and had me attempt a reset (unplug, press power 3x, hold power 30 sec, replug), but there was no change in status. He gave me the number for a local authorized repair center and a warranty reference number.

I called the local repair rep, and after I described the problem, he recommended I return the unit for a new one at place of purchase. He beleives it's the DLP mirror chip or the digital controller board. He said if I wanted him to repair something like this, he would take it to his shop, diagnose, order parts, fix, and calibrate. I don't want to be without my new toy for that long -- especially with the superbowl a couple weeks away!

So, I went to the local retail store to talk about exchanging it for another. I took the above pictures with me to show them the problem. They agreed to exchange without any complaint. However, the model is not in stock at any of their 3 Las Vegas area or even S. Cal stores, and 4 are on special order waiting to be filled! They offered me a pretty good compromise: keep my set with the minor annoyance, and when a new set arrives, they will deliver the new and fetch the defective one. They said if I get tired of waiting and want a refund, no problem, even if it's past the 30-day return window. (I just need to make sure I keep the box and materials.)

I get to keep her around a couple more weeks, so if anyone has a troubleshooting idea -- please let me know.

PS -- I found some settings for the HL-S6187W at another forum. Although not a professional tweak, these settings were a marked improvement over the factory settings:

Mode: Movie
Contr: 40
Bright: 45
Sharp: 0
Color: 45
Tone: Warm2
G50/R50
DNR: off
DNIe: off

Cheers!

Username: Tahoejimw

South Lake Tahoe, CA USA

I have a Samsung HL-S6187W DLP projection TV. The picture will intermittently, as my wife says, just "freak out." The colors will fracture and bleed, turning mainly green and purple. The images are still there, but the colors look like a bad 1960's movie, morphing through the images. If I turn it off, it will go back to normal, but I sometimes have to turn it on and off several times before it does. Any ideas?

Does anyone know of any codes for an HLM507w? It's an early DLP but I think could have a better picture if I know how to manipulate the setup.

Bronze Member
Username: Asamizay

Centreville, VA Usa

Post Number: 13
Hello:

I have a HLR-50 which I bought 9 months ago and every since I bought I noticed a round gray spot in the upper right site of the screen. Samsung tech came by and wants to take it to his shop to look at it. He thinks the engine needs to be replaced? Can that be the reason? I think it is the screen because when i press the screen the spot moves up. Looks like air might be trapped between the two layers of the screen. I have already tried and moved the tv to a different position to see if it is light effect, but it is still there no matter how you change its position.

Any idea? I m concerned with changing the engine. THanks

Username: Msuehs

I just bought a Samsung DLP HL-S4666W and it won't turn on. The stand by/ Temp light is flashing but it won't power up. I tried resetting it and plugging it back in but it only turned on for approximately 5 seconds before turning itself back off. Then the standby/ temp light just blinks. Any suggestions?

Username: Clark_griswald

Like many others in the thread I need to replace my color wheel. My model is the HLN617W. The question is can I upgrade to the new air bearing frictionless wheel or not?

As far as the negative Samsung DLP comments, I couldn't be happier with mine even with the bad wheel. All advances in technology come with growing pains, regardless of the manufacturer. I haven't dealt with Samsung directly, but it sounds like the criticisms of their customer service may be valid. My only complaint is the remote, which has to be pointed DIRECTLY at the receiver.

As far as extended warranties, I view them just like real low insurance deductables: They pay off every now and then, but in the long run, the extra costs will outway the savings. That is, unless you continually buy crap or, in the case of insurance, are a worthless driver... Why do you think companies push them like a scalper on a street corner --- THEY MAKE MONEY.

Username: Hsdewan

Whitby, Ontario Canada

I just got a Check Fan 3 message across the screen- tried power off/on and unplugging the TV to no avail. Any suggestions as to how to get around this problem or do I need to replace the fan.

If the fan needs replacing, does anyone know where this fan is located (I have some pics from another site that show two fans).

Thanks.

Username: Bong2

California

HLP5063W
Press the power button. A loud low-pitched buzzing sound comes from the back of TV. There is sound(programming), but no picture(Black screen). It'll stay that way for about 30 seconds. The TV will then turn off, then on with the same buzzing sound, no picture, with sound. TV will go through this cycle about 3-4 times. The tv will then shutdown with the standby, timer, lamp blinking.
If I press the power button I'll cycle through the same process again.
Manual says replace lamp, but I'm concerned about the loud low pitch buzz coming from the back.
Need feedback, PLEASE!!!

Username: Dmonigh

I have had very similar issues as some of you. About 6 months ago, I started getting a dark vertical line on the left side of the TV. Over a couple of months, the line got worse. I thought it was a shadow at first, then realized it was the TV. Samsung came out to the house 3 times and replaced the Light Engine each of those times. Finally, the last one worked. However, just this week, we are now seeing another vertical line on the left side, but instead of a dark line, it is a light grey line with opacity. The line is about 4-6 inches wide and only noticeable with dark images on the screen. Anyone run into this, or have any suggestions? My TV is just out of warranty now.

Thanks,
Dan

Username: S5687

Samsung S5687W - Purchased mid Nov 2006
Has started to turn itself off every now and then.
Most of the time when it turns itself off, two lights flash that according to the manual indicates that the lamp door isn't shut properly. Haven't opened anything on the TV. Sometimes no lights flash. It's not predictable when it turns itself off. Sometimes very often, sometimes very infrequently. If you turn it on again soon after it turns off, you hear a whirring noise (color wheel?). Started a week before the playoffs. Stayed on during the playoff weekends thankfully :-) But on days between turned itself off frequently - sort of a magic "I like football" kind of TV :-)

Called Samsung and the service rep that came in obviously could not replicate the problem and then since I mentioned the noise, ended up ordering a replacement light engine without even bothering to open up the TV. The part is due to arrive tomorrow.

Anybody else experience anything like this - any suggestions?

Try to open the lamp door, take out the lamp, then reseat it ant close the door. It may reset. I replaced my color wheel and at first it wouldn't come on, just flashing lights, so i reversed everything and plugged in the lamp before closing the back up, and all works well now(knock on wood)

Silver Member
Username: Paul_t

Post Number: 101
I posted a picture of what my HLN-437W picture looks like now, it's under the Thread: "Samsung HLN picture has gone all Green?" .. Has anyone seen this before? Driving it down to a authorized Samsung service center tomorrow morning(they couldn't come to my house until Feb 7)and I would love to have an idea what I'm looking at repair wise..Thanks all in advance!!

Username: Jce2

Got a Samsung HLS5086W for Christmas. Unfortunately my son got a wii for Christmas. You guessed it! Last Saturday he threw the wii remote thru the screens. The T.V. is fine electrically and still has awesome picture over most of the screen. I can order the replacement screens thru samsungparts.com. My question is how hard is it to replace the screens? The labor charges I am being quoted are obscene and would prefer to do the work myself. Anyone know how the two screens are held in place? Thanks in advance for any help.

Try Scott@jango.com He may know how.

Bronze Member
Username: Asamizay

Centreville, VA Usa

Post Number: 14
John: I have a HLR5086 and the tech came over once to replace the screen because I have a grey spot.It was pretty simple. You need someone else to give you a hand, a clean flat surface covered by a soft blanket. There are 4 screws on each site and a few on the top to be unscrewed. Just make sure you have the right site of the screen is facing out. the screen is doubled layered. one is facing out and one is facing inside the TV. I hope this helps.

Username: Avanhaitsma

Hey all, I purchased a HL-S5087W a couple months ago and as time has progressed, my TV is taking longer and longer to start up. Before, the picture would slowly appear and get brighter (I'm assuming that is just the projector warming up). However, now it is taking about 2 minutes for a clear picture to appear. After 10-15 seconds, a picture appears but the signal is totally scrambled. This is the same throughout multiple imputs. However, after the TV has been on for a while, it starts up immediately. Any ideas?? Should I be concerned?

Username: Jovan023

Hey guys,
I got the Samsung HL-R6178W DLP Projection TV about 7 months ago and I have been very satisfied with it. I bought a PS3 yesterday and hooked it up to my tv and did the setup. This is the first time i've ever had 1080p input and I was pumped up. It did an auto adjust during the setup to 1080p output via the hdmi cable and after that a 2 inch black curve showed up in the upper right hand corner of the tv that extended and narrowed as it went to the lower right corner. I've skimmed the forum here to see if anyone has had probs with this before, but it doesnt look like it. The shadow is there on all inputs, including air, component, s-vid, etc and I called Samsung already. They said that they've never heard of this problem before and needless to say im freaking out. They setup soneone to come out and check the tv but no one has been called me back yet. This is by far the most expensive thing I've bought, besides my home, and I just was wondering if anyone had any answers? I haven't tried opening the tv to clean the lens or bulb just cuz im scared im gonna open pandora's box and screw everything up. Please let me know if any of you have any suggestions or ideas, or if theres anything I can tell the tech when he comes. Thanks all.

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1038
Andy,

You may have some irregular lamp behavior, but the scramble thing sounds like HDMI compatibility issues. Some cable and sat boxes take longer to sync up. DVI/HDMI connections are not a perfect science. The scramble disappears when using component (Y, Pr, Pb) video cables. There's no real difference in SD or HD picture quality.

Jovan,

Sounds like the mirror box is collapsing!

Read this thread.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/295015.html

******************************************************************************** *************

FYI, u are the freakin man. I can actually sleep tonight. Thanks for the thread and I will make sure the repair man knows what to bring with him.

Hey guys, does anyone know the product number for the light engine so I know i get a new model instead of some refurb garbage. thanks

Username: Kelly_p

I originally posted this as it's own thread, but have now realized that Samsung has it's own fix-it thread (I apologize for being a noob).

Anyway, I have been researching a continual issue I have had with our HLP5063 and so far I have come close but haven't seen anyone with the same problems I have seen. The TV was purchased about 1.5 years ago (May 2005) and from the start it has intermitently produced colored screens. The TV will turn on normally and when the picture comes up it is entirely blue (looks like someone put blue saran wrap over the set). I was told by Samsung to go to the "My Color Control" screen and adjust - when I tried that that screen was blue too...even the menus to switch through the components are blue.

If I remember correctly, I believe it did this with a green screen and red, but blue is the one that comes up most often. I finally got the 3 blinking lights and called Samsung throwing a fit. The engine, bulb and possibly something else was replaced a few months later and the TV seemed happy, but lately it has started up with the blue screen again. Last night it did something new - it had red white and yellow lines going vertically and horizontally (almost like a big graph over the picture). Turned the TV off and waited, then I got the blue screen and after turning it off again and waiting I finally got a good picture.

So I am at a loss as to what is causing this (when I called Samsung in the beginning they didn't have any clue either). I did see something somewhere about bad connections on the component inputs and the fix was sodering the faulty component (we are using the component input for both the Comcast box and the DVD)...but I wasn't sure if this is symptomatic of that...if it is maybe it's an easier fix than we first thought. Thanks so much for the help in advance!!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us