Flat screen hung above a fireplace?

Username: Imthepcguy

Auburn Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 1
I am new here and it looks like there is plethra of info to go through, My question is, can you mount a flat screen above a wood burning fireplace, I temp checked the area and it reads about 90 degrees. Not sure if this is a problem.

Thank You for your input
Bob

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

Post Number: 495
I got one Panasonic 42" Plasma over my fireplace but I don't use my fire place. I wouldn't recommend it. but that is your risk Temperature can damage TV. But my neighber got 27" flat and he uses his fire place. I guess it depends on how big your TV and how much risk you are willing to take.

Bronze Member
Username: Idrivearocket

Post Number: 29
You'll get a broken neck trying to watch TV.... and it will look quite small on the wall in comparison to the fireplace... (unless you are mounting a 60" up there)

Looks cool to impress your friends when they walk in the house, but it totally sucks for watching TV... remember that's the reason you have a good TV... and by next year... everyone will have a flat panel anyway...

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

Post Number: 518
Sometimes it is room limitation
That's what I was facing
I had an old 32" TV in the corner and I had no place to mount new HD except for on top of fireplace

But You are right not as comfortable as if it is not in neck level

Bronze Member
Username: Jwl1

Post Number: 39
I've noticed in all the new homes being built in certain areas, there is a spot (niche) built right above the fireplace for the plasmas. It's the new trend of where they are placed. I didn't pay attention if they were gas or not, but either way, it puts out heat. I would assume, since they are prebuilt for this and in this place, it must be okay for them to be there, or I doubt the houses would come that way.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
If you consider yourself having a sore neck to be ok... then go for it... Next time you sit down, try to stare 7 feet in the air for over 2 minutes... bet you can't do it...

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1769
­
I couldn't agree more Peter. I saw this in a magazine the other day.
Now here's a Dolly Decorator Home Theater....ludicrous.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t171/JohnS45/fireplace.jpg
­

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Ya.. nice pic. Looks impressive on the wall, but that's about all it's good for...

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1339
Besides the placement, I can't even imagine with all that lighting coming from the windows, what TV can give you anything you can look at.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1776
­
Might be OK at night, but then you'd get reflections off that white ceiling.

Speaking of which, I wonder how the 'soundstage' is from those ceiling speakers?

Username: Chris13

Post Number: 5
When you hang the flat screen above the fireplace, where does the dvd player and hd cable box go?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1782
­
Very good point Christine. That's another reason why I hate wall mounted TVs. There's no other choice than to have that stuff in a closet nearby, and then fish the wires to the TV.

A royal PITA.

Username: Chris13

Post Number: 8
I've heard that placing the television over the fireplace voids the warranty? Is this true?

Bronze Member
Username: Frank1203

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 76
Hello All! Long time no talk.. Hey John, long time - no talk.. Now you knew I'd eventually pipe in here..

I have had a 42 inch Plasma mounted over the fireplace for close to two years now. Similar to one of the posters, we had space limitations, and this was the only realistic thing we could have done due to the layout of the our Family Room. I had the exact same reservations when I first considered this idea but i will tell you that I so glad we did it. To dispel a couple things that had been stated. (1) I did not have to make a friendship with a chiropractor. Myself and my three children do not have any neck or problems watching the TV. In fact, out of all the changes that we made to acommodate an A-V system, this was by far and away the easiest to get used to. (2) There is NO issues with heat from the fireplace and I have a wood burning fireplace which actually gets hotter than a gas fired fireplace. When I was considering this idea, I called a fireplace guy and had him come out to the house to check out the setup and he said that the way my flu was set up, it was considerbly behind the drywall as well as being highly insulated and he gave me the green light. We have used the fireplace many times and the wall or Plasma has NEVER gotten hot.(3)I will agree that the wiring and overall A-V setup is more complicated if you want to have a nice custom layout. John will attest to the many times I wrote in this forum asking for advice on setup and wiring. The bottom line is that we moved all of the power equipment to the basement and wired the CD and Blue ray player to the opposite end of the room. The Pardigm Studio 100's are loacted to the side of the hearth and the center channel sits on the mantel and is NOT an eye sore. Everything is custom and I had a great installer. It wasn't cheap and we had to do some rework to get tis exactly right, but I cannot be happier with my over the fireplace setup!

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1791
­
Good to hear from you Frank. I take it everything's running smoothly. By now, you're used to the new center...and how is that Blu-ray treating you?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1792
­
"I've heard that placing the television over the fireplace voids the warranty? Is this true?"

I haven't actually seen this exclusion in print. Nor have I heard of many excessive heat problems caused by fireplaces. But if a "melt down" occurred in that scenario you can bet the mfr. will hide under the standard "abuse" exclusion present in every product warranty.
­

Bronze Member
Username: Frank1203

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 77
Great to hear from you too, John. Yes - everything is working very smoothly and I am very pleased with the equipment and the setup. I'm loving the Blue Ray Player. too bad, Sony came out with a cheaper model than the one I have. My model was around $800/$900 and I see new model for about $500.

Silver Member
Username: Donnie1973

Post Number: 729
I have one over the fireplace. The heat wont bother it as much as the smoke. Your TV will suck smoke into it.Gas should be OK. I love the watching experience. When u install one over the fireplace, you better have an attic or basement to run wires, cause u will want to put your electronics in a cabinet beside the fireplace. Very easily done. I cuoldnt be happier with my set up now. Its a 42 inch
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us