Samsung DLP Flashing Standby light

Username: Terhok

Walker, LA Usa

Post Number: 1
PLEASE help. Two month old TV. It would not turn on this morning. When we try, the the set's green light comes on and it makes the noise like it's coming on, but then the light switchs to the standby light which just keeps flashing. Anyone else had this?

Called Samusng and they don't have a clue. It looks like I'm going to have to go the entire 4th of July weekend w/o TV!!

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 736
First, try the unplug it, wait a few minutes, plug it in trick, several times. If that doesn't work try pressing the power button and slap the back left side of the set several times. Sometimes, this will shock the ballast and/or lamp into working. If still no luck, check the manual for instructions on lamp replacement and unplug, then, reset the lamp. It is an owner replaceable item. Otherwise, you may need to try your spare lamp. What? You don't have one? You should! After all, it's a projector with a light bulb in it. Lamps go bad suddenly for no apparent reason. Always keep a spare handy even though your original is covered for 1 year. (15 months if you register online) Hope one of these things works for you! Good luck!

Walker, LA Usa

Post Number: 2
FYI - I don't believe it - slapping the TV worked!! It's crazy. I'm thrilled and I thank you for your help! My only concern now is how long will this last. Should I still have a repairman come out and look at this?

Thanks again for all your help. By the way, I didn't realize that lamps are covered for a year (15 months if I register online). I'll have to look in the warranty. And thanks for the online registration hint.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 737
You're quite welcome! :-)

Yes! If it happens again, call 1-800-SAMSUNG prompts 2, 1, 3, 1 and they will replace the lamp and/or ballast.

If you're afraid to lose use, leave it on. It doesn't hurt a thing. In fact, some lamps have lasted over 10,000 hours by not cycling on/off!

Walker, LA Usa

Post Number: 3
Well, it happened again. Tried to turn the set on Tuesday morning and the standby light's flashing again.

I'm trying to call the repairman number that Samsung gave me. This is frustrating! I did not buy the extended warranty from Best Buy. From looking at some of these posts, I'm now thinking that was a bad decision.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 739
I had that happen to my first HL-P5063W. It was just the lamp, which was damaged during shipping, The replacement lamp never gave me the first bit of trouble. It had over 5500 hours when I gave it to my son. Must have a few thousand more by now.

Extended warranties usually don't cover lamps. BB was the exception where they covered a single replacement. There are some individual lamp warranties out there, but I don't think they're worth it. Lamps are considered consumables and owner replaceable.

Samsung will fix you up and all will be fine.
Don't forget to register online.
Best regards!

Walker, LA Usa

Post Number: 4
Thanks FYI. The repairman came yesterday and my husband turned on the TV and it worked. We were actually hoping it wouldn't so they could figure out what was wrong. The guy adjusted the lamp (maybe it was loose?) and so far so good.

Do you think the extended warranty from Samsung is worth getting or just gamble?

Walker, LA Usa

Post Number: 6
It's happened again - aarg! My husband called and said it won't come on. He talked to our local authorized Samsung repairman (we had the one from Best Buy yesterday) and the guy said it was the control panel and they'll have to replace the whole thing.

Evidently this is a widespread problem with this model (HLS5686W) because he said the control panel is backordered and he knew exactly what the problem was.

I know Samsung is supposed to be a good brand, but they are not giving us any satisfaction when we call them. They can't even give us an idea of how long it will take to get the control panel. And of course they won't admit they know this is a problem with this model. Not much company support, but I doubt any others would be different.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 741
BB service is in the business of making money. I don't even know what control "panel" he is talking about. There is a light engine containing a DMD chip, lamp, and color wheel. There is a DMD Module. There is an analog board and a power supply. The rest is cabinet. Replacing the lamp and/or ballast has corrected this common shipping damage issue many many times. Only an authorized Samsung tech from the 1-800-SAMSUNG factory Service Center will be honest and make the simple repair. Anyone else will likely make it into something it's not, up to and including removing the set from your home for weeks at a time. It's a common scam.

Hope you can get it going and leave it on 24/7 until a reputable service tech corrects the issue.
Best regards!

Walker, LA Usa

Post Number: 7
FYI - I sincerely thank you for responding to my posts - you're the only help I've been getting, but I'm at the edge of the brink (and the 3rd glass of wine right now)! Luckily I'm on 4 10 hour work days and have the next 3 days off. Hence, why I'm up at 3:00 a.m.

But, no big TV. Right now I'm watching our old 19" toshiba. Hubby's been in bed since the Cubs lost 2-0 around 10:00 and I've been unsuccessfully trying the TV since. I've printed your last post for him to read in the morning, hoping it will help.

I guess I wish I'd followed your initial advice and left the TV on 24/7, but ...

This is the Samsung authorized local repairman who has told us about this problem. However, today he said there were 2 parts he needed to order. Both are being "processed". Seems the "control panel" issue is not an issue right now (or at least not something he is referring to anymore). I'm not sure what's going on.

One thing is that I've learned a lot about these TVs! But I'm still unsure.

Again, thank you for your time and effort.

Username: Aimee64

LaPorte, IN United States

I have the Samsung HLM507W dlp. After about 15 months I received the three blinking lights. According to my book, this means new lamp is needed. I cannot afford to buy lamp so it has now been almost a year without my new t.v. I just found a lamp on ebay with the same model number as mine for a decent price. According to my book I can do this myself without a service tech since I cannot afford one. I took my old lamp out and I was wondering if there is a way to verify the bulb is bad by looking at it. It looks fine to me. Also, if I get a new lamp and slide it in according to the instruction in my manual, is there anything that needs to be done like a reset or anything or will it work as soon as I instll it? Thank you for any help. Amy Weiler

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 757
The old lamp is shot.
Buy the new lamp.
Just slide it in.
It will work! :-)

I hope someone can help. I bought the new lamp, installed it and all seemed fine. But then the picture got weird. It is hard to explain but the only thing I can think of is like a colored negative. And some blinking. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it was perfect, for about 15 minutes then started blinking and went back to the colored negative looking picture again. Can anyone please tell me if they have experienced this problem with the HLM507W? Thank you for any help.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 760
Sounds like the DMD Control Module is heating up. There is a fan to cool it that must be compromised. I say this a lot, but here goes.
Did you take the brushy attachment to your vac hose and clean the inside of the set thoroughly? (every six months)
Did you clean and check the fans? Did you tape the cover switch shut and power up the set so you could see and hear if the fans were operating efficiently? You may catch it in time and it may be too late. These projectors move a lot of air through them and get very dirty inside. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your help. I vacumned the back of the t.v. I took out the lamp and vacumned around in there. I cannot see the fan/fans. I guess I do not know where they are. I put the t.v. back together, turned on. I am not sure if I heard the fan. I can hear stuff running but not sure if it is the fan. I have a beautiful picture for about 20 minutes before the bright flashing and negative stuff starts up. I really cannot afford to have a service tech look at it and was hoping it was something easy like the changing of the lamp. If you have any other suggestions they are very welcome and very appreciated. Thank you, amy

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 761
Well...they look like little computer fans. Can't miss'em! They need cleaning too!
Take the back off and somewhere near where the cover seats, there's a cover switch that you can tape shut so you can power it up while watching inside. Don't look directly at the lamp. It's brighter than the sun. One fan blows on the lamp and the other on the DMD controler.

Thanks again for you help! I took the back off and cleaned the fans. Both fans are working! The flashing, negative effect still happens after about 20 or 30 minutes. I just don't understand why I get a beautiful picture for just 20 or 30 minutes then bam. This t.v. is still very new to me. Any more ideas? Thank You very much. Amy

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 764
The DMD Control is getting hot and failing. Call 1-800-SAMSUNG prompts 2, 1, 3, 1 and explain the problem to them. The first level will try to make you pay for the service call. Get past them to Tier 2 or Executive Customer Relations. Be very, very persistant. They may fix it for you or at least buy the part while you buy the labor.

These DLP sets are new inventions. There have been 7 generations of DLP since your purchase. HL-M's were the first. Then came N's, a couple of P's and R's, and now S's. Extended warranties have paid for themselves many, many times. I wish you the best of luck with your repair. Remember, be very persistant. Call over and over and over again. Don't take no for an answer. The squeaky wheel theory always works, eventually!
Best regards!

Username: Hernestor

TV Model: Samsung DLP 43" (HLN4365W)
Bought: April 2004

The set was working perfectly for more than 2 years but suddenly I start getting a blinking message that says "Check fan No. 2"
The image is still fine but the message does not go away. I read some messages in this forum that advise dusting/vacuming the fans, in case they are stuck because of dust build-up. I unplugged everything, did that and the TV was working fine for a few hours until I turned it off. The next time I turned it back on the message reappeared.

Then I opened the cover again and held the safety lever in place with a piece of tape (to be able to turn on the TV without the cover), powered up the TV and in a couple of minutes the message "Check fan No. 2" reappeared exactly when the fan stopped spinning. I was thinking it could be the fan but it could also be the board that controls this fan since the fan spins normally for a awhile and then stops.

Has anyone encounter this error? How do I solve it? Will replacing the fan do the trick?

Thanks in advance
Ernesto

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 813
From the dept. of the redundantcy dept.

ron lingl
Username: Rlingl

Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 01:06 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mine was doing the exact same thing, run for about 5 minutes or so, and the shut off....it would kind of twitch when it shut off....(although it was fan #1)....and it was the fan.....i tried cleaning it out, but it made no difference......i`m sure yours is the fan too......i got a new fan at partstore.com, they had the best price, but if you dont go with the express shipping, it will take at least a week to get to you!! Good luck!! It was`nt that hard to install and it was only about $45.......

I know the problem points to the fan but, before buying it and replacing it, I wanted to see if other people solved the problem that way.

See, what puzzles me is the fact that the fan spins for a while and then stops. Couldn't it be a faulty board shutting off the fan?

Was your fan spinning and stopping after a few minutes or was it simply dead?

I appreciate your help.

Post Number: 5
I just wanted to share the fact that replacing FAN #2 did solve the problem I had.

After removing the lid I realized that attempting to replace fan #2 appeared a bit intimidating because it is not exposed as fan #1. Fortunatelly I followed the detailed steps posted by a very kind person at http://www.jangro.com/a/2006/07/24/samsung-dlp-replace-color-wheel/

These steps are outlined to change the color wheel but fan #2 is near the color wheel and so the steps (which include images) help you figure out how to get to fan #2.

So if you have the "CHECK FAN #2" message and you have visually determined that indeed the fan stops spinning when the message appears it is probably a faulty fan #2. You can buy a new fan at samsungparts.com or partstore.com (the latter is cheaper but does not deliver to Canada at least till August 2006) and losely use the instruccions in the link I posted to get to fan #2 and replace it. It was relatively easy and you will save a lot of money in labor.
Good luck

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 835
Excellent post! :-)

Username: Havac_tech

Cincinnati, Ohio Usa

I have A Samsung hlp5063w the TV will boot up and display A wonderful pic but shuts down after about 30 seconds and the lamp light flashes. The repair man says its the dmd board. He gave me A price of $950. Any advise.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 837
Take the back off. Clean everything including both fans with the brushy attachment to your vac hose. Tape the cover switch shut and power up with the back off. Check for quiet and equal fan operation. Could be a thermal shutdown from a fan quitting or a failing lamp or ballast. DMD failures usually show different symptoms.

Cincinnati, Ohio Usa

FYI,
That sounds like good advise. A man that was A former speech writer for the white house is suffering from macular degeneration owned the set. He was going to buy A 50 inch Panasonic and have it delivered. Knowing he was without A TV I offered to buy A set for him and deliver it when I came to work in the morning. He ended with A 62 inch Toshiba. He paid me for the new set, Gave me money for my trouble and the Samsung. I hope fixing it doesn't break the bank. I am glad I found this forum. Reading all your replies have giving me A great understanding of this new technology. If ever I can be of any assistance to you let me know. I am A building engineer specializing in HVAC. I will keep you informed after I pick this thing up from their former shop
Johnny
JohnnysService@aol.com

Username: Marke34

Lodi, NJ United States

Any advice?
Have the 3 Blinking lights, replaced the bulb much better picture for three minutes then the colors blink get weird then it powers down to 3 lights again. It's an HLP5063W. My circuit city extended warranty just ended. Any thoughts on what it could be and how much to fix ??????

Lodi, NJ United States

ps. all fans seem to be working properly as well

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 854
Sounds like a digital control board. It's expensive.
Call 1-800 SAMSUNG.
File your complaint up to and past Level 2. Be very very persistent. Don't accept their initial refusal to offer assistance. The executive csr's wants you to believe in Samsung and be a repeat customer. Offer to cover the labor if they eat the part.

Lodi, NJ United States

It worked for 3 hours last night, went to bed and this morning it was back to NOT working. Wish I had known that this TV would be so troublesome. 3 thousand dollar products should not be in need of repair like this. I looked back at the repair history, the screen was replaced and the light engine was replaced now this. All in a TV that was made and purchased in July 2004

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 855
Yea...I know how you feel, but yours is a generation 3 prototype of a very new technology. Todays "S" series is the 7th generation. If ever there was justification for buying the extended warranty, these new HD sets of every make and model are certainly proof. They're definitely not your old picture tube.

Lodi, NJ United States

FYI, after reading my few posts, any idea on how much it will cost to fix?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 857
With your set's history, there's a good chance you might get it replaced. Samsung has replaced many of these with HL-S models. Be very persistent! Call over and over again. Ask for the next level up. Use language like BBB, Attorney General, local station's investigative reporter, newspaper editorial, etc. if you have to. The squeaky wheel theory eventually works whether in warranty or out. Worst case, you might have to cover shipping on your replacement or pay an hour of tech labor.

Lodi, NJ United States

Well I voiced my concern to Samsung and was told to call back on Monday when higher ups are working. I also sent a detailed email of my TV's repair history. Will Samsung ever respond to that email?
This is my first samsung TV and will be my last I'm afraid.

Emails take on an average to 5 to 6 months to get a response. You will have to call. I have the HLM series and I started having problems right after the year warranty expired. It sat for a year without working because I could not afford to fix it. I finally got Samsung to agree to pay for the part (over $900, dmd control module) but I have to pay for the labor. I think Samsung should do a mass recall on these t.v.s and replace them. I have had so many problems with this t.v. that I am now worried that after this is fixed another problem will come about and then they will not fix it because they already agreed to pay for this problem. I wish I would have insisted on having it replaced rather than repaired. My sister still has a t.v. that works from 30 years ago. These t.v.s are much more expensive and should last a lot longer than 2 years. I wish you a lot of luck. Amy Weiler

Username: Pfunk1410

I just bought a HL-R6768W yesterday and love it...except that the bulb doesn't light about half the time when I turn it on. It goes throught the normal startup stuff and you can hear the audio and no standby/lamp/timer lights are flashing...but there's no picture at all. If I turn it off and then wait a couple minutes and turn it on it sometimes works. This happens even when the set has been off for hours. Sometimes it comes right on the first time. It was an "open box" deal but they claim I still get the factory warantee. What should I do? Just call 1800Samsung?

Lodi, NJ United States

I called Samsung today, and ask that they look at my repair history. They did and offered to fix this new problem outside of warranty at no charge and give me another 6 months of warranty coverage.
No yelling or screaming required, they did the right thing as a company and held on to my business.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 863
Kewl, Mark! :-)

Yea, Paul! Call'em! Prompts 2-1-3-1.
Get a new lamp, ballast, whatever!

Username: Marscandybars

Hey guys I have the 61" DLP samsung which supports 1080p. Is anyone having problems getting some of the over-the-airwaves HD channels? It seems like my TV had deleted one of them indefinitely. I cannot get any of the HD channel 5 (California) anymore. And it is not a reception problem cuz all of my HDTVs in my house can get them and the TV used to get channel 5-1. When i go into the channel setup to search for the local channels, channel 5 blinks green when it passes it (which indicates it is detected). However, when i change the channels i only get analog chanel 5 and not 5-1 or 5-5. Even when I manually punch in 5-1 I don't get it. It only happened to channel 5... which coinsidentally is on of my fav. local channels :-( (but like i said, all my other tvs get channel 5-1 and my tv had channel 5-1 not too long ago. It just dissappeared!) any help would be appreciated.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 864
Go into the setup menu and run the auto search again.

Username: Marscandybars

I did the auto search at least 100 times (not even kidding) I tried doing a hard reset, by unplugging the tv and pressing the power button, but it doesn't seem to hard reset this way. Any other suggestions?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 872
The channel 5.1 signal is weak for some reason at that specific connection or it would program. Just because it's present somewhere else in your home doesn't mean it's not fading in and out at that particular connection. Only a signal strength meter will prove me right on this. It could be a faulty splitter or a bad connector that has selectively squelched out a weak digital channel. I use an outdoor old style 30 element Channel Master directional UHF/VHF antenna with a signal booster. I have between 5-10 db at every set. In Dallas, all network towers are at Cedar Hill. Compass direction is not as critical as some cities that require a rotor to receive certain channels, but a little adjustment can bring one in stronger than another.

Cincinnati, Ohio Usa

Samsung had a tech call me about the flashing light on my tv. After A wile on the phone they recommended A repair shop. I checked with other shops first who told me they would not work on Samsung tvs. Even the ones who used too. So i whent the the shop they recomemnded and was told that the part(DMD Board)would only fail again and it was not worth repairing the 3,500.00 dollar tv.
WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 875
Call 1-800-SAMSUNG and get past the first two levels to ECR. Tell them what the tech said and let them know that it's unacceptable. Be very, very persistent. Tell them the set should be replaced if the DMD board is just going to fail again. Stay on them until they take care of you.

Somebody please help me. I have an Samsung HLM507W. I bought it in June of 2004 and it quit working right after a year. I posted on here and was told it was the dmd control module. After a lot of phone calls and letters, I finally got Samsung to agree to extend my parts warranty. The dmd control module was replaced. Did not fix. The digital and analog board was replaced. Did not fix. The lamp motor (or something like that) was replaced. Did not fix. At this point, Samsung said they would just replaced the t.v. Yea!!! Well, after giving them my serial number, they said that it was not a valid serial number and after checking into it, they found out that the company I bought the t.v. from is being investigated by the attorney general. They are selling refurbished t.v.s as new and altering the serial numbers. Because of this, Samsung will not do anything to help me. I am stuck with this t.v. that does not work and out $2600 that I cannot afford to replace. The t.v. works for about 20 - 30 minutes and then it starts flashing and then the picture gets like a negative affect. It gets worse the longer the t.v. is on. I cannot see just throwing this t.v. out and I cannot afford a new t.v. The only reason I got this is because a family member passed and I got $3000. Please if anyone has any help for me, I am desperate. What could the problem be with this t.v. and can it be fixed for cheap or is it just trash to me. It has all of these new parts, I just don't understand it. Thanks for any help.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 891
"Samsung said they would just replace the t.v."

Nuff said! Call them every day...10 times a day. Ask for Executive Customer Relations department every time. Restate the offer by one of their people to replace your set. Argue your case. Be very, very, very persistent! Don't let up any! Tell them you are considering hiring an attorney. Tell them you will start a negative ad campaign through your local tv station. Tell them you will contact your state Attorney General's office, Consumer Affairs, BBB, etc.

They can't tell you they will replace the set after servicing it unsuccessfully and then back out on it! Not without a threat of a lawsuit, if it were me!!!

Samsung is the ones that told me to contact the BBB and Attorney Generals Office about the company that sold me the t.v. I am just so confused and don't know what to do. The people at Samsung seem so sorry and sympathetic. I did still feel that the t.v. is a Samsung and that shouldn't change things but they said since it was refurbished by that company and didn't have a valid serial number there was nothing their supervisor was willing to do.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 892
Don't let up. Do exactly as I described. There isn't just one supervisor for you to be sypathetic about. There are at least six different decision makers in ECR.

If they said it...they must do it, period!

Username: Mhs_ia

Greetings from a new member!

Don't flame me, but the only reason I joined is to beg with all of you to pay attention to these Samsung horror stories. I bought my HLM507W in April 2003. I bought the extended warranty, which expired in April 2006. While the unit was covered under the extended warranty, I had to replace the color wheel. Cost, if not under warranty, +/- $500.

Then, after the warranty expired, the lamp went out. Okay, no room to gripe there -- it had 8192 hours on it. So, I replaced the lamp. Cost, including S&H, $250. Since it was out of warranty, I paid that.

That was in June of 2006. Almost immeditely after replacing the bulb, I had the same problems an earlier poster mentioned. The picture going crazy, the exact symptom of DMD failure. I also did everything the other posters suggested -- clean the fans, etc. It only got worse. Then, to top it off, the lamp, the new lamp, with 708 hours on it, failed. So, as of this minute, I am looking at a $750 DMD board and a $250 lamp, and the labor to install the DMD. Bottom line, this is a likely $15000-$2000 repair, including the lamp. Add that to the earlier lamp I bought and the replacement of the color wheel, and I have more in repairs to this 78 pund paperweight than the set cost new.

I called Samsung, and they laughed. They said that I should expect these problems because the TV is "old and out of warranty." Unbeleivable. The reason I did not buy Plasma in April of 2003 was because everyone said you wouldnt get 5 years out of one. I couldnt get 3.5 years out of a DLP! When I asked tech support why I should ever buy a new Samsung or recommend one to my friends, she laughed and told me she wouldnt own one either, based on my experience.

So, I would like to warn the board -- be careful of DLP and avoid Samsung like the plague. Their product is crap, and their customer support is non existent.

Oh, BTW, I take delivery of my new Sony this Thursday. KDS-50A2000, with a 5 year service agreement for the grand total of $2500 after rebate. I will never ever own a Samsung product of any kind again, and I am making it my duty to my friends and everyone else to warn about Samsungs shoddy products and terrible customer support practices.

Post Number: 8
Mo Sheronick, I am so sorry to hear about your problems. Sounds identical to mine with my HLM507W. I do not have the money to replace my t.v. though and am still fighting with Samsung. They told me they would replace it after many failed replaced parts (over $2000, paid by Samsung) and then went back on their offer saying that my serial number does not match their serial numbers. I sold my bedroom t.v. to pay for the labor on the repair attempts and now without my $2300 DLP and they just don't seem to care. I will battle until it seems I am getting nowhere and then I will file with Attorney Generals Office and BBB, even though that still will not get me a t.v. Keep us updated on your new t.v. and good luck. Amy Weiler

Post Number: 9
Hey, does anyone have any information on the HLS-5086W? Samsung finally agreed to exchange my t.v. (HLM507W) with this model for $250 (S&H). This is their 2006 model but I wonder if anyone has had good or bad experience with it compared to the nightmare of the HLM507W? Thanks

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 902
Congratulations! Kewl! :-)

Glad you hung in there!

Username: Rxnet

I have the 61" DLP. mine will turnoff at anytime....usually 45-60 minutes that its on. i can turn it back on again sometimes right away and it will last until it decides to turn off again...could be right away , 30 min. , whenever it decides. I can hear the fan running , the standby light stays on when it turns off , goes off when I can get the TV on again.

its driving me crazy!! please help diagnose the problem

Walter
Do you get a blinking message on the screen prompting you to check a fan? I had problems with one of the fans and buying one and replacing it myself solved my problem.

See Post Number: 5

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 913
Walter,

Something is heating up. It could be a thermal shut down circuit or failing fan. It might also be a failing lamp, but you won't know until you try your spare. Re-seat the lamp housing and make sure the hatch is closed tightly.

"Don't forget to take the back off your set and clean things up in there with a brush attachment to your vac hose. Cleaning the inside every six months can prevent premature failure of several major components. After all, it's a projector that pulls air through it to keep things cool. With the air flow comes dust, lint, hair, bugs, etc. Pay extra attention to the cooling fans. Tape the cover switch shut and power up the set. Check that the fans spin equally and quietly. They are easy to replace if needed."

Bronze Member
Username: Wizzd

New Jersey USA

Post Number: 11
I had a few issues but got a new set and it's been fine so far and I got the 4 year extended warranty on my HL-S5087W.

I aviod SONY like the plague thanks to the long problems I had with them and my $3,000 Grand Wega Rear Proj. LCD.

I think everyone has had problems with just about every major company. It's corporate america and there is no quality control and nobody wants to stand behind products anymore.

Always get an extnded warranty and deal with the place you purchased it as well as the maker.

I'll never buy Sony again, Mo Sheronick will never buy Samsung again and I'm sure plenty of you won't buy another brand.

I chalk this all up to the big companies only wanting to make $ and not having any integrity these days. There isn't much we can do anymore as consumers but complain and go crazy untill we get our way (IF we get our way that is). "The customer is always right" is no longer a valid statement to the big companies of today. They could care less about us. As long as they keep selling product, we don't matter to them.

Sad, but true.

Dennis -- well said. You won't get any argument from me.

Lodi, NJ United States

Here's my situation.
I had an HLP5063W that had some quality issues off the bat, no biggie Samsung covered them. Long story short I had new issues once my HLP was out of the extended Warranty I bought. Samsung offered to fix for FREE even though I was outside the Warranty. But I decided to take them up on their offer to replace for $300. I took delivery of a brand new HLS5087W about a month ago. Last Saturday while I was at work my son said the TV shut off and the 3 lights were blinking. It powered right up and has been fine since. Since I got this directly from
samsung will they sell me an extended warranty? If so any idea on the cost? Because none was offered at the time of replacement. Sorry for the long post.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 920
Go online with Samsung.com and register your serial number and the delivery date. That's good for 15 months coverage. Yes...they will sell you an extended warranty, but so will others at a better price.

FYI

here goes.

1. took both covers off the hl-p6163w

2. clean as a whistle inside

3. both fans work properly & fan 1 stays on after TV shut off until cooling completed then turns off

4. reseated the lamp

5. standby/temp light stays on-not flashing (until you turn TV on) then it goes off and reappears when TV shutsdown again

If the problem continues is it possible it could still be the lamp? Is it worth ordering the lamp to see and if it still persists calling Samsung...or should I just call them...??

thanks for your help!!

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 928
Better call them.
Three power-up cycles followed by three blinking lights is the indication of a failed lamp.

Put a piece of black tape over the infrared eye to eliminate that possibility.

I'm thinking it's switch or digital board related.

well...I watched TV for 4 hours straight with no shutdowns?? hoping to make it 2 days straight and not have one of those "it did it again posts"...not quite sure what I did....but I ain't complainin'

keep you posted....hopefully not!!

Post Number: 10
Well, I finally received my replacement t.v. the HLS5086W. Looks nice, easy to set up but the picture is awful. Even the high def sucks. Blurry, sometimes fuzzy, sometimes pixely, it really looks like you are watching it through an icecube. I was told that this would be comparable or better than my HLM507W but I now beg to differ. Does anyone know why this could be happening. Cable company came out and it is not a cable problem. They even said the picture is bad and should be better. Samsung is sending someone out but why would a new t.v. have a problem already? Any ideas? Thanks a lot. Amy Weiler

Lodi, NJ United States

Post Number: 8
The longer I spend time with the HLS-5087W, I realize that I made a mistake upgrading to this Model from my HLP-5063W.
Although my HLP had issues, the pisture was far superior.
I'm at a loss for words on how poor my HD looks on this TV.
Things like movies on HBOHD look ok and CSI stuff looks good but sports. I don't even look forword to watching sports on this TV.
Even my friends notice the picture is worse than the set Samsung
replaced.
Even the HLS @ Circuit City looks poor.
Any suggestions out there?

Username: Jokabri

Same as Walter (except no luck after reseating lamp)... and set is only 3 weeks old...

1. took both covers off HL-S5687w

2. clean as a whistle inside (it's new!)}

3. both fans work properly & fan 1 stays on after TV shut off until cooling completed then turns off

4. reseated the lamp

5. standby/temp light stays on-not flashing (until you turn TV on) then it goes off and reappears when TV shutsdown again

I called SAMSUNG already, but it being the weekend won't have anyone out for a few days (at least).

I had a TOSHIBA rear projection that started out crappy too, but it turned its act around and worked for 2 years flawlessly.. hoping SAMSUNG does the same.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 943
Sure would be nice to know what the technicians did with your sets everybody!

Lodi, NJ United States

turns out my HDMI cble was the cause of my poor picture quality.
maybe the shielding was damaged some how.
anyway new high quality cable inplace and voila.
awesome picture.
any thoughts how a cable that does not move can go bad.
or could it be that the cable was not rated for 1080p? not sure if thats the case since no broadcast HD is in 1080p yet

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 947
DVI/HDMI cables are usually all or nothing. The 1s and 0s either make it or they don't. Where I've heard of degraded digital picture quality was darkening related to firmware version mis-match of particular receiver/set combinations.

If you have a sat service they will periodically update their receivers with the latest version.

The cable is rated for any digital data transfer.

Our sets do an excellent job of de-interlacing 1080i broadcasts to true 1080P. Awesome...isn't it?

Username: Telarium

Like others here, I started experiencing the turn-on-turn-off problem with a Samsung DLP. It would be okay for a while, then turn off, turn back on, and turn back off again. That was back in April. Someone came out to my home three separate times to fix the problem. Eventually he gave up and replaced the entire engine, guaranteeing that the problem was solved and couldn't possibly occur again.

But here I am, nearly eight months later, and it's doing it again. Of course, now my television is out of warranty. Samsung tells me that they MIGHT foot the bill on this, since the problem they allegedly fixed before has now returned. I'm betting this will be an uphill battle, but hopefully they will help me. I'm so glad I kept all of the receipts from the three service calls.

What I find really distressing is not knowing whether or not this is going to happen again after they fix it. I find myself being paranoid when I watch TV, wondering if the thing will click off at any moment. Since the entire engine had been replaced back in April, is there any way I could be causing the problem? The service technician assured me that getting a new engine was like "having an entirely new TV set", but that's obviously not the case if the problem is back. What is going on here?

Bronze Member

I will tell you that my service tech replaced all major components in my dlp and told me I had a like brand new set and it still did not fix it. After a lot of fight, Samsung replaced with new t.v. but I too feel the fear that this one will do the same right after the 90 day warranty they "gave" me with this replacement. People keep telling me to sell it and buy another brand but I don't think I could get what it would take to buy a new one and I don't have the money so I have to just take my chances that this one will not do the same after a year. Good Luck.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 975
You will find Samsung CS to be very good. You may be given an option to exchange the set for a newer model if you press the issue. Try to escalate to Executive Customer Relations and convey your frustrations and simply ask for a newer model. They do that for original owners with a service history. The HLS 5687W or 88W would be my choice.

Username: Icarusfl

I am deeply dissatisfied and disappointed in the Samsung HLN507W1 we purchased a little over 2 years ago.

It started malfunctioning 6 weeks ago. Once turned on, the set will not respond to either hard or remote controls. The standby light flashes and the picture disappears, though the set remains on. The only way to turn it off is to unplug it. In addition, the lipsinc is off.

I called 1-800-SAMSUNG for assistance the first week of December and was advised to have an authorized service place evaluate the problem. This was done and we were told the digital board has failed and must be replaced.

Samsung support requires we FAX the diagnostic and a copy of our bill of sale to them. The tv tech didn't run a diagnostic. He just heard out the symptoms and pronounced the DMD fried.

Is there a specific diagnostic I need to request?

It's clear from reading the tech boards on the net that these boards fail a lot. Bummer.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 978
They just want a paper from the tech stating his findings. Once you prove you're the original owner you should be eligible for a swap out to a newer model. The "N" is a second generation DLP. They have improved the technology through four generations since your purchase.

We'll see. I hope you're right, FYI, but if my experience is any guide, I'd respectfully disagree. Now the N's are giving out. In a year will it be the P's? Three or four years from now, will it be the T's, or whatever the current letter is?

And, again, all I can do is relate my own experience with their CS, and I won't bore everyone with that again. If anyone is interetsted, they can scroll up.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 981
While you're certainly entitled to your aged/dated opinion, Mo, the extent of your experience is with a single first generation DLP. You have not own recent generations or followed DLP advances. Your experience with one Samsung CSR sounds very crass and unprofessional. Yours is the only account, of that nature, I've seen posted. I believe you could have worked past the first two support levels and obtained a newer replacement set yourself. It's been accomplished by several on this forum including myself.

But hey...enjoy your Sony! It's a nice set.

Username: Telarium

Glad to see that FYI was right about Samsung's customer service. I was expecting to put up quite a fight, but even through the strung me along for about three weeks, they ended up being quite fair. They offered me one of three replacement models for a little extra cash: HL-S5086W, HL-S4666W, and one other that I can't remember.

Naturally, I'm leaning towards the HL-S5086W.

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1005
Kewl! :-)

Username: Shalati

Hello all,

I have an HL-S5087W that's causing me some big problems. It's only 3 months old and all of a sudden, when I turn it on, here is what happens:

TV powers up...lamp turns on(dim at first)...sound comes on...and then right before it usually gets brighter it turns the lamp off instead and then the tv powers off and all three lights blink.

Samsung says they are going to replace it but it will be a while. Are there any fixes to try?

Username: Nickker22

Well, today my tv has been clonking out... My girlfriend was using it today, she said hey the tv wont work and the lights are blinking.. So i was like oh crap, I went downstairs, looked at the manual, found out about the lamp being faulty... I turned the TV off and on, still 3 blinking lights, did it again, same thing. I then unplugged it, waited and plugged it back in. I then turned it on, same thing. I finally did it one more time and it worked. It seems like if I keep the lamp on, it works fine. It just can't power up at times... I bought this tv OCTOBER of 2006!!! I checked the lamp life and it has 824hours, less than 1000. Wow this is a bunch of crap. I'm going to call Samsung tomorrow and request service. I can't believe I have to waste my 1 bulb replacement after 3 months. Ugh...

BTW, i have a Samsung HL-S5686W. The picture is still crystal clear, and the brightness hasn't changed when it is working. However I know when it isn't going to work because when the picture first appears, it is dimmer than usual, then after 15 seconds, it will disapear and the 3 lights start blinking. Before this, when I turn on the tv, it starts out somewhat dim, and slowly gets brighter to the regular brightness, now when it works, there is no picture at all, and then it automatically snaps to the regular brightness( while it does take about 20 seconds for the image to appear)

Username: Jakatak

HELP! I have a HLN-5065 and had it only about a year before it started to blink just the lamp light. I have since replaced the lamp and the same thing. When I hit the power button, the lamp (middle) led flashes and finally stops bliking after about 2 blinks. Does anyone have a clue? I have been searching around for some other ideas, but have not seen anyone else who's had this problem. If you know if anything please help.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrage

Post Number: 28
I need Help! I have an HLP-5063 when I plug it in the lamp light and standby light blink without even turning the power on. At first the lamp would begin to warm up but then the tv would shut down after twenty seconds, now it wont even start up at all, has anyone had this problem or have any idea what it could be any help would be much appriciated.

Username: Chrisman

Lockport, Illinois

Hello everyone - new here, was looking for some details on a problem I experience this morning with my 61" DLP - TV is almost 4 years old. Color wheel has been replaced once, other than the bulb taking a number 2 this morning it's been pretty fair to me. Question is - my extended warranty is up in July - and I'm tossing around the idea of renewing it. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for the replies.

Username: Abelanderica

My husband and I just purchased a Samsung DLP 50 inch 1080 tv. The HLS5087W. WE bought it on Feb 8th, and yesterday feb 21st it shut off 5 times on its own, and when i went to turn it back on, it had a buzzing noise. I called Circuit City and they brought us a new tv. The guy said it sounded like a defective bulb??

Anyone know if thats right? Im afraid to keep this tv if its just going to keep messing up or have issues like all of your t.vs. We bought the 2 year warranty on it too

Bronze Member
Username: 5thwheeler

Torrance, CA United States

Post Number: 20
FYI, when you mention "taking the back off", are you talking about the entire lower back cover?

Also, is there a lamp hour meter, if so, how do I access the readings?

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1045
Chris,

Renew it!

Abel & Erica,

It's a fabulous set!
Mine works fine! Buy a spare lamp!
Extended Warranty = no worries.

5thwheeler,

Yea...the entire back cover.

The hour meter is in the service menu.

With tv off...on the remote...

push Mute, 1, 8, 2, Power

set comes on with SM menu screen 1

using arrows...arrow down to Option and press enter.

up comes screen 2

lamp hours and reset are there.

Be careful! Left and right arrows change things!

Press Menu to go back a screen.

Power off and back on quickly to exit the SM and watch.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
FYI Thanks for the info on how to access the lamp hour meter, unfortunately it didn't work for me. With the TV off and the remove set to TV mode, I momentarily pushed mute, 1, 8, 2, power and the set came on in the normal mode. Did I do something wrong? Is it possible that the HL-P5674 doesn't have a hour meter? Anymore suggestions?

Thanks again...

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1046
Nope!

That shoud have worked.

Hmmmmmmm!

Username: Jrm5265

Covington, Ga US

Hey FYI I read somewhere on here that you are the guru....Ive got a Samsung DLP HL-S6187W its about 2 months old and it occasionaly loses audio, picture is still there and only way to get audio back is to go up a chan or down a chan and then come back to chan you were watching. When this happens moving the volume button does not bring the audio back its doing it on more than one channel. I have not called service yet but I envision them coming out and watching it for a few minutes and of course the audio wont go out and theyr gonna say seems fine to me. Any suggestions and are you aware of that model having that problem. Thanks in advance also we are not running the audio thru any sound system this is JUST the tv speakers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
FYI I got this message from Sami Support.

"You can't read the lamp hour time because it has to be done by a trained professional."

ha ha ha... ya gotta love it.

I wonder if the codes are listed in the service sanual? If so, then maybe ill buy one. What do you think?

Username: Daco63

Michigan USA

Hi 5thwheeler,

I don't know if this is obvious or not, but you have to press "mute 1 8 2 pwr" in sequence, not all at the same time. I had to try this a couple times on my set before I got it - turned out I was waiting too long between button pushes.

good luck,
Dave

Username: Jong

Help Please!
I have a PCL5415R Samsung projection TV. It was working great in the morning and then this afternoon, when I turn it on, the red light blinks and starts like its going to turn on, then the TV makes the turning on sound, no picture, then it immediately turns off again. It then cycles ON and OFF like this repeatedly until I turn it off. I dont know what to do and have no experience. I am out of warranty. Any advice or help on how to fix? Any help is greatly appreciated.. Thanks so much

Jon

Username: Pruittwh

I will start out initially by stating "I did not get it in writing." I purchased the DLP HL-P5063W from Best Buy in April 2005. The salesman went through his spin of the extended warranty, etc. Stated it would cover the bulb which itself was over $300. I worked at a Best Buy 6 years ago so I know the push to sell the Protection Plans because of the huge profit margin. Thinking I was the savy consumer, I called Samsung Support and asked to speak with a tech regarding the DLP systems. I explained my situation and was concerned that the Best Buy rep was telling me that the bulb was going to definitely burn out in 2 years or less and I must buy the warranty. My question was "It seems a little absurd that Samsung would knowingly sell a product that is having a component failure at this rate. So is this true?" The response...."Absolutely untrue. We've had a model running in here with over 8000 hours on it and haven't replaced the bulb yet." Being the trusting (stupid) consumer, I declined the warranty and drove home with the new DLP. Here is it 2 years later and I'm having the 3 lights flash, indicating a bulb failure. In hindsight, I should have purchased a plasma. I don't have a huge issue with spending the $150 for the bulb, but I feel completely misled by the Samsung rep. Viewing the problems on this board, I'm beginning to wonder how much more money will I have to put into this product after the bulb replacement? In hindsight, I should have gone with a plasma. I've got one in my bedroom and it looks much better than the DLP (IMHO). Anyway, sorry to ramble, but I am going to at least do the recommended cleaning, but has anyone had experience in getting the price of the bulb comped or at least reduced? Thanks for the help.

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1055
Projection technology involves the use of disposable lamps. That's really a known going in. Front projection lamps only last a few thousand hours. Our UHP's are far better.

Several members here have Phillips UHP Mercury lamps with over 10k hours on them. Premature failures can happen, but it's not very common. Lots of factors to long lamp life. On/off cycles, ac line conditioning, use of a UPS for power failures so the fan can properly cool the lamp down, damage during shipping, a ballast malfunction, and a small percent of factory defects are a few.

DLP DMD (mirror) technology means a lamp change will render a set to like-new picture quality. No other display technology can do this.

I think you are ok with your third generation DLP. I had the same model and it was a stunning picture. You may need a color wheel in a few years, but that's as cheap and easy as a lamp.

My HLS 5087W stays on 24/7. The lamp has 7k and counting. Bright as ever!

Username: Ekray

Springfield, MO

Great board! because of your advice I called Samsung about our DLP tv we have had for just over 3 years. Recently it started going off on its own, losing its picture sparatically, and going color negative. We tried bulb replacement first then the serviceman said it was a bad DMD and that it was cheaper to replace the whole board at a cost of 1,279.00 I called and told Samsung about my problem and they immediatley offered to exchange once I faxed them the service diagnostic and my original reciept. My only problem is I do not have the reciept. This was over 3 years ago! Does anyone know if Samsung will go through without the reciept (They have the serial number already) Or any other suggerstions? Thanks for all your help! I never would have called without the advice of this board since it was already out of warranty.

Username: Onetonhevychevy

HL-S6187W Intermittently shuts off (typically within 20 minutes of operation)
I am just beginning to look into this issue.

I have noticed slight to significant "settling" noises from the TV casing during operation. I have also noticed the TV shutting off shortly afterwards(not every time). Lamp L.E.D. blinks twice.

I plan to pull the TV out and set up for easier lamp access and servicing, for preliminary diagnostic purposes.

Just wondering after reading the threads regarding the lamp cover seating issues; has anyone else noticed any TV case "settling" noises before the unit shuts down?

This would definitely make sense. I am unsure of the lamp door's exact sensitivity.

Sounds like I could have a number of different issues to look into, as there doesn't seem to be a pin-pointed root failure for these TV's shutting off.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Regards,
Brad

HLS-6187W Another issue beside shutting off.

Notable dark Blue/purple line along the right vertical portion of the TV screen (i.e., extends down from the top about 7"-8", and approx 1/4"-1" leftwards into the TV screen)

Has anyone experienced this, I am unsure if the root cause may be related to the issue with the TV shutting off.

Both issues started occurring at about the same time.

Thanks in Advance!

Regards,
Brad

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1063
Sounds like the mirror box is coming loose.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/295015.html

There's been a rash of shut-offs lately.
One owner said a tech finally discovered a faulty lamp hatch cover switch. The set would heat up and the plastic back cover would shift or "pop" from expansion. This would trigger the switch to shut down the lamp.

FYI - Thanks for the thread link! same exact issue here with the mirror box.

I plan to get on the horn with Samsung for both issues this weekend/Monday. I purchased early June last year. I didn't register to extend the three months; lesson learned!

Perhaps by the 20th generation DLP; they will have a solid state product!

I plan to introduce the 61" TV to my 20 ton H-Frame shop press if the future holds an additional 3K to keep it running! I anticipate being able to pack all 61" contents within a 12"x12"x12" box.

Hopefully warranty will cover, and it will last at least a few years without issues. Other wise I will be sure to post the pics of Samsung's latest 1" tall pancake TV form factor design.

Regards,
Brad

FYI,

By any chance would you happen to be an old online PC Battlezone player? (1998-2001)

Regards,
OneTon

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I am back. After fighting with Samsung for almost a year to get a lemon HLM507W replaced, they finally replaced it with the HLS5086. I received it in November and on March 29, the three blinking lights. I know this typically means the lamp. Not even six months. My question is, is the problems I have been having with these t.v.'s because it is a Samsung product or because of the dlp technology. I love the picture on the dlp high def, but I cannot go through this every six months to a year. I want a t.v. that will last for years like the old ones. Does anyone know, please?

Username: Grams

Thanks folks for all your posts. When our HLS5686W started turning itself off and flashing strange light codes I found this forum string. We ran through the standard simple tests as recommended by FYI, which didn't solve the problem.

The symptoms: Turn on set-get 1 blink on timer, then 10 seconds of flashing from the lamp indicator, then all three flash once, then the lamp indicator blinks for 20 seconds, then it shuts itself off.

It is still under warrantee, so a call to Samsung told him the blink sequence and he tested the lamp and then went right to replacing the DMD board.

He said if it had been out of warrantee the board would likely have cost about $200 and then there would be a labor cost.

BTW< exactly what does the DMD board do? Are these guys failing from overheating or what?

thanks,

grams

Username: Grams

Oops. a sentence missing in hte previous email. It should read: It is still under warrantee, so a call to Samsung arranged a service call by a Samsung-approved repairman. I told him the blink sequence and he tested the lamp and then went right to replacing the DMD board.

grams

Okay.....After a month of waiting, I got my new bulb in for my HL-P5063W. It worked for about a week and now this TV is giving me problems again. The TV will come on with sound and the Lamp indicator will flash. It will power off, then back on again. Same thing, no picture only sound. After about the 3rd time, it will flash the 3 indicators. I unplug for about 5 minutes and start it again. It goes through the same cycle, but upon the 3rd power cycle, the bulb comes on and then it shuts off after about 1-2 minutes. No indicators, no flashing lights, nothing. I then have to unplug the TV to get it to shut off. I have observed this process with the cover off and holding the switch on the back, and all of the fans are spinning. My first thought would be an overheating bulb.

What is the problem here? I'm ready to call Samsung and tell them to come pick up this unreliable TV. My wife is telling me to get rid of the thing and buy another plasma like we have in the bedroom. I do not feel like putting any more money into this TV. My question would be: Would screaming to Samsung about this help any in getting some money back or at least a credit towards a non-DLP Samsung TV?

I truly hate this TV and will tell everyone I know to avoid DLP. The picture quality (supposed) over the competing plasma and LCD is not worth the hassle.

One final note: Switched inputs from my S-Video (TIVO) to the HDMI (PS3) to see if there was any difference. Same issue. Although I do see some flashing around the PS3 "ribbon" displayed on the screen and it pixelates a green tint around displayed elements a few times before the picture dies completely.

Username: Nathinator

HI ive had this unit for over 12 months now wich was actually a replacement unit after having many problems with the original LCD unit so after 3 months without a tv Samsung finally came around my way and decided to replace it with a SP61L3HXX/XSA DLP model ,12 months later and out of warranty the unit turns on and i get a perfect bright picture for about 30 seconds to 1 minute then off again it just keeps repeating this ,I contacted Samsung and they basically told me to suck eggs so I am writing to you guys to see if this is a problem you might have come across as i figure its not a globe issue due to the fact that it boots up with a great picture but then click and it goes off and back on again and it is also supposed to flash the LEDs when the globe is gone could you please give me a rough estimate on repair of this set including call out due to the size of the TV
any help you could give me in reguards to this would be of great help
BY THE WAY THIS IS AUSTRALIAN MODEL IHAVENT SEEN ONE LISTED ON THE THREAD BUT HOPE YOU CAN HELP FYI (YOU DAH MAN) Thank You
NATHAN HILL

Bronze Member
Username: Sjones1

Get a new lamp....$129.99 on Discount-Merchant.com

http://www.discount-merchant.com/Samsung-HLM437W1X-OEM-Replacement-LAMP-BULB-p/s amsung-bp96-00826a-lamp.htm&Click=1466

Username: Asuna59

HI, We bought our Samsung DLP 61 inches on March of 2004 and had not bought the extended warranty.We ran into problems within 2-3 months of the purchase and Samsung sent it out to be repaired 2 times. About 6 months ago the Tv started flashing ater a few hours of viewing and evenyually got worse.We called some Samsung authorized repair people and it seemed like everyone had a different analysis and the repair was going to be at least $1000 or more and we did not even feel like these people knew what they were doing. We had almost junked the TV when I read some threads online about people with problems with Samsung TV and how they had got it fixed/replaced by samsung. So I called Samsung and was given the usual run around....they said I was way out of warranty etc etc... I was just persistent and said I wasn't going anywhere until my TV was either repaired or replaced. We live in Canada and we were told that what we read of must have been in the States and not in Canada...so I said I don;t know but the Company is the same Samsung no matter where it is and I would like to speak with someone highr up if he couldn't help me.

Finally after alot of run aounds they sont someone to replace a whole block of parts on my TV yesterday.

I hope this will help those of you with similar problems.Please don't give up.I paid a lot of money for my DLP since it was quiet new in 2004 and I did not think it was fair that the TV lasted me 3 years with plently of problem.

Username: Okc

I have a Samsung HL-P5085W that's out of warranty we paid a lot of money for no longer than it has lasted.

The picture has been getting weaker daily making it harder to see, it was at the point of being almost black. I adjusted the picture as far as possible. Bottom line now it won't turn-on, it goes through the startup process sometimes cycles 3 to 6 times, but the standby light comes on with a yellow warning symbol.

Where do I start to find the problem? From what I have read in the forum there are several possibilities such as: Samsung Projection TV Lamp, or Samsung BP96-00697A Color Wheel, or LAMP-BALLAST.

The family is going crazy without the TV and the timing couldn't be worse, too much month not enough money...

Thanks in advance for any input on what to look for and how to fix it.

Bruce G.

"Thoughts for the day"

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Username: Omegadealer

I'm sorry to say, it's your lamp dude...

I got great advice from Ali at Discount-Merchant.com (619-710-2637 x207).

If you suspect it's the lamp or you're not very sure, best bet before you invest in a new lamp is to:

1. Turn the TV Off, let it rest for a good 1/2 hour..
2. unplug it, let it rest for another 1/2 hour...
3. Pull out the lamp, RESEAT the lamp...
4. scotch tape or duct tape the sensor on the enclosure door...
5. turn on your set.

If this does not solve the problem, then most likely it is the lamp. If it is the lamp, they've got the original lamps for about $129.99...much better than Samsung directly. and don't waste money on getting one of those cheap aftermarket lamps. Our lamps are made my Philips. pics an deverything are found on FixYourDLP.com/blog

Good luck dude..

Username: Helmster

Plano, Texas United States

I have a Sumsung DLP HLM507W that is giving me problems with turning on. It used to be an occasional problem but it has gotten worse. I would try the unplugging it trick and that would work. I replaced the lamp, but it still continued to have this "turn on " problem. I would get the green lamp light flashing but the lamp would not turn on. The problem seemed to become more frequent. Then I replaced the Ballast, but still no help. I'm wondering if the power supply board is bad? I checked the power where it comes into the ballast. At turn on I would get 38-39 volts for a second or two, but then it would drop to 2-3 volts and stay there. Does anyone know if this is the correct voltage pattern?

Could my new lamp be bad? How can you check a ballast to see if it's good?

Is it my power supply board?

Mark

Username: Tacygash

I need some help please. I have one of these dang tv's, HLN617W, I started getting the negative image problem so I took the back off the tv and cleaned it all out. It started up fine...and then poof the lamp went out and has never come back on. I went and bought a new lamp, didn't work. We exchanged it thinking it was defective...didn't work. The likelihood that we have had TWO defective lamps....doubtful. So, what's next, replace the ballast? How can I tell it that's the problem before buying yet another part? Any way at all...without calling a repairman out? HELP someone, please!

Username: Vertmont

I have a HLN617WX/XAA (bought it early 2004) and I've replaced the color wheel (lots of noise) and the bulb failed also.
After I installed the bulb I get the three blinking lights (bad bulb) after 5-6 startup cycles.
I replaced the bulb with another new one and the same failure mode happens (bad bulb). Any ideas???

Username: Darrste

I have a hlr4667wx/xxa and just replaced the color wheel. Now when i turn the TV it powers up and i will get about 30 seconds of good reception. Then it will power off. Once powered off, stand by and lamp will flash. What do you think?

Username: Helmster

Plano, Texas United States

My HLM507W that will only turn on after it's sat for a couple days is wearing me out. When I turn it on the lamp doesn't light and I get the flashing green lamp light. I've replaced the lamp, ballast, and power supply board so far. I haven't spent to much on it yet, but I'm starting to wonder if I should take into the shop or sell my parts and buy a new one? What else is there that would cause the lamp not light all the time. Once it turns on and the lamp lights, it will stay on until I turn it off. This problem is becoming more frequent. The unplugging it trick seldom works anymore too.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Username: 60adante

I have a 2 1/2 yrs HLP5063. Today I just saw that the stand by lights are blinking. I tried to turn off the TV thru the remote but it wont do it. I manually turned it off and it it did but after a few seconds the green light will come but there is no picture on the TV. The green light will come off by itself and the red light will come out flashing. It is just like a cycle. I am thinking that it is about time to replace the bulb because I cannot see any picture coming out of the TV. Any help I could get is greatly appreciated.

Username: Billyray

Hi; Newbie here;
I have seen variations of this problem but no clear answer or possible solution. Here is where I am at...bought used akai pt50dl14/sms..Samsungs akai equivalent of the the HLR5067w.
did my homework and figured out based upon the flashing lights on the front that I had a problem with the lamp.
1. bought new lamp Still had the problem.
2 more research said bad ballast. bought new ballast.
3. installed bought new lamp and ballast.
4. now TV starts up and just when the lamp is fully lit. it shuts itself off.
PS. I have also thoroughly vacuumed the interior as instructed, (including both fans )made sure that the bulb was seated properly, and anchored the latch cover switch to be sure it is engaged.

If I play around with the turning the set on and off; it will come on about the 3rd try. I can hear the color wheel spin and then I get great sound and awesome picture for about 2 to 10 minutes and the system will just shut itself down.
The 'standby' light on the front switch; comes back on solid--no blinking

No screeching or high pitched noises so I ruled out a bad color wheel, but I cannot find definitive info on a bad digital board.

PS. I am not using an hdtv receiver. I just use an hdtv antenna for (OTA over the air reception) which gives great reception by the way.

So that is my story.. I am trying to see if this can be fixed without spending a fortune on service. Got a good deal on the TV don't want to give that away.

Any ideas or has this been solved in some other post or is anyone experiencing this currently and most importantly has anyone got a solution?

thanks for any help you can give. I wlll do my best to return the favor.

Gold Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 1076
It's aweful that you're buying part after part with no final resolution. Did the symptom actually change? You didn't say whether you had the back cover off with the safety switch taped and then powered it up to see if the lamp fan is doing it's job. Sure sounds like a heat up to a safety shut down.

The hatch switch is a recall on the 67 model.

Otherwise, the digital board swap has resolved similar shut off scenarios.

Best of luck!

I'm back,,,though you knew I would be!!

HLP6163W.........Same problem for me came back again....turn TV on...this time shuts down after maybe 2 minutes and goes into standby,,turn it back on...shuts down after 5-10 minutes...turn it back on...may shut down again...may last for an hour or two...its driving me crazy...FYI help!!!

all fans are working properly , and its cleaner then my laminar flow hood....HELPPP!!

Username: Tacygash

I posted before, hate my tv, broke and I'm not going to fix it. So, anyone want it? Free, just have to pick it up.....if you live in Maryland, DC or Virginia, have at it. Model: HLN617W....may be good for parts if someone wants to fix theirs. If not, it's going in the trash and I am NEVER EVER buying a Samsung again.

Username: Vertmont

I've got one of them, it's dead too.
I've replaced the color wheel, the lamp (twice) and the ballast and it still has the three blinking lights.
If you have the time I'd like the remaining components from your system. I'll use them to try and fix this one.
I'll pay for the shipping.

Thanks,

Dan

dpc@netharmonix.com
802 236 4549

Username: Krieger

FYI - Excellent help thus far, however after reading for hours, I don't see any postings of the issues that I am seeing, please help. I have a 1 month old Samsung HL-S6187WX that the picture freezes after watching for about an hour. The picture freezes in color and this happens on both HDMI inputs w/ both my cable box and DVD player. The picture will remain frozen until I turn the TV off. None of the lights blink on the front. The TV will sometimes work properly after being off for 5-10 minutes, other times it won't work until after 30 minutes. It is covered under BB's extended warranty, but after reading the postings here, I am looking for info in order to not get the run around from them. Any thoughts as to what root cause could be would be greatly appreciated. Regards

HI again;
thanks for all your helpful advice. I guess I must be a glutton for punishment, because I was advised to just dump the TV; as it was known to be bad and I was told that the DMD or the digital board were the most likely culprits.

OK are you ready for this?? I decided to give it one more try before I threw in the towel. So I found a really cheap working unit just like mine (akai pt50dl14x/sms) on auction and I bought it for not too much.

It works fine and just for grins I took out the new replacement ballast I had purchase for my first tv and swapped it into this new set.

Guess what the new TV now exhibited the same problem as the old tv. Further swapping and checking and it turns Out that I purchased the WRONG replacement ballast; and my old lamp was still good.

swapping the ballast made my first TV look and sound great. So I am returning the wrong ballast and getting the right one and now for less than the price of replacing the DMD or the digital board I have two perfectly working TV's. I guess it pays to be stubborn sometimes.

My problem now is what to do with both of them? I like this problem much better.

thanks again for all your help. Let me know how I can return the favor.

Bill

Oh one more thing. I found a training and troubleshooting manual put out by Samsung in 2004 that covers just about everything you could ever want to know about their DLP TV's. It is called "DLP training, Atlantis Chassis March 2004".

I found it in my search for more technical info on dlp systems. it covers each major system down to the component level.

It may not cover your exact TV but I doubt you will find a more informative document. It is miles beyond even their service manual.

Many diagrams, schematics and labeled pictures to guide you. I have it is PDF form. so maybe this can be my contribution to you all. just let me know and I will send it to you.

I will also research where I can put it online so that everyone has access. Anybody have a place where I can upload it?

billyray

Bill

sounds like mine might be the ballast too...where did you get it from and was it hard to change??

walt

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Bill, I would love to have this manual you are talking about. I am on my second replacement t.v. from samsung and am nervous every day after having two years of problems with these t.v.s and but cannot afford to replace it. Thank you so much. If you can send it through email my email is aimee64@comcast.net

Username: Anjle

Hi suzzane...

have you checked all the connections? sometimes the connector does bot make the connection fully.

Also try reopening the cover and putting it back, maybe the sensor for the lamp cover is not fully pressed in.

Have you ever service it?
might be bad lamp?

Go for a repair man and try to find out what has actually happened?

for online help try this, may be helpful to you.

Samsung Tv Updates

anjle

Username: Peter09

The problem could be with lamp or ballast? The loud sound refer to ballast might be a possibility.

Samsung TV's ballasts are being reported to fail frequently due to power outages because the ballast connects the bulb.

For starter no need to replace anything just try to check out all the connections because sometimes they are not fully connected.

Try cleaning the air filters.

If could,t do then go for service...

Try discounmerchant ... might be beter bet for you....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us