Archive through December 12, 2005

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Sorry to hear of these issues. It seems that your color wheel needs to be replaced, which is pretty easy to do. Are you seeing the mirror image as you look directly into the screen or at a high angle to it? This is a very strange effect and I have no idea what could cause it.

Username: Roblord

Florida Us

Post Number: 1
I bought the HD61LPW42 in Feb. 14th, 2003, I've had a mini-chub ever since. MY only complaints are the web-browser, that I used for 2 days until I noticed it doesn't have the capacity to view most web-pages. I also wish it would accept 720p feeds, but nonetheless, it only downconverts 1080i to 720p. The atsc tuner will display either 1080i or 720p native feeds. I'm jonesin' for a 1080p set. When will rca begin selling this new technology, that we can't utilize til' the ps3? My lamp has 3675 hours and plugged in for 12143 hours, so don't freak posters with 800 hours. rca best bang for buck in the dlp game.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Rob, thanks for the positive comments on our W42. I strongly agree with your last statement. . .you should take a look at our new W175 models have our best performance yet, kick-butt contrast ratio, and "spot on color decoding" (not my words - read Sound&Vision, Nov. 2005 issue)

It's unclear when we might have a 1080p set. You set 3 engineers side-by-side with a 720p DLP and a 1080p DLP and only one can see any difference. It makes for good bragging to have a 1080p set, but the truth is, until you get much better content, you're not getting a better picture.

Florida Us

Post Number: 2
As far as i've seen, the only 1080p content is 1080i upconverted, but the 720p downconvert is much smoother and softer on rca's, without the edging you'll notice on sammie's and mitsusucki's versions of 1080p. I was only curious when they would begin to offer this new format. i've heard rumors that there is not even an hdmi capable of the sampling rate available through current hdmi technology, and it won't be available until 2007. By the way is their anything better than 720p NFL football on a Monday night, and don't say Discovery HD(sunrise), cause I know it's beautiful.

Username: Pack11

Randy M..Are you a RCA DLP DHTV convert or what? Do you actually own one? If you do then you know it's a piece of c***! My lamp blew......litterly BLEW, I thought the HDTV set was going to burn up! Actually, it was just the bulb burning out. After 13 months. No one in my area has the lamp. RCA said it will take 3-4 weeks to get a replacement lamp at a cost of $550.00. What a rip-off. Only reason I bought the d*** thing was I had a very good salesman. RCA should be ashamed of themselves. I know Im ashamed of them.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Dom, as I have said many times on these boards, for full disclosure, I work for RCA and we believe our product is quite good. Yes, I've watched DLPs for several years in my own home. I'm sorry you have had an early lamp failure (see my post to you above). The lamps in our products actually have a very good track record compared to other manufacturers (see the boards on Panasonic and Sony). The availability and pricing issues are unfortunate, but are due to lamp manufactuturers.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Rob, you are quite right. . . 1080p formats are still not entirely set (DVD standards). There are a couple 1080p formats that are available for HDMI, but I expect it will be a while before you see any widespread use.

Regarding content, I sometimes tune PBS just to watch the 1080i material they have. It's very good most of the time. Fox did a great job on the World Series, too, especially in Chicago. NASCAR is sometimes pretty good.

Username: Eddings

Dallas, TX USA

Which RCA DLP is better...the new HD50LPW175
or the old RCA HD50LPW162?

The lamp in my 162 burned out and I can't get a replacement because they're on back order. So RCA has offered to replace my 162 with a newer model, the HD50LPW175. Should I take it? I'm concerned that the 175's picture quality and view angle will not be as good as the set I have now. All comments are appreciated.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
David, I just answered your post on the other thread, too. The W175 is an oustanding performer with 7-segment color wheel and great contrast ratio. I wouldn't hesitate.

Florida Us

Post Number: 3
I always wonder what occurs for all these problems with lamps. What criteria is causing this, I honestly think most problems are due to user error. Perhaps, the most common mistake is room temperature, another could be lack of elevation from floor. I deal with all types of displays, and in most cases when televisions suddenly blow a lamp or whatever occurs 9 times out of 10, consumers didn't protect their investment properly. If your going to purchase a $4500 television spend $200 to $450 and protect your investment. When a power surge or lightning strike occurs, and you put it into warranty procedure, you'll always have problems with that television, unless they replace it. And also spend the money for one in a never-opened box. Don't get stuck with an item you can't get a true history on.

Username: Cheneyp

CT

Post Number: 8
Randy -

We had a brief power outage yesterday and the TV (which is plugged into a RCA power surge protector) and was OFF, came on when the power came back on. This has happened before and we turn off the power strip when we leave for any extended period for this reason. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Thanks, Paul

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Wow, I'll have to talk to some software engineers next week. The on/off state of the TV is stored in EEPROM, so it should always recover to the previous state for power outages of less than 15-20 seconds. However, it should stay off for power outages that are greater.

Unregistered guest
Hello everyone, I hope i can get some help with this. I had a 32" Sony Wega (non hd tv) with directv. I got a HD50LPW42 50" RCA dlp. I hooked it up to my DirecTV receiver using the S-video jack. The picture clarity is horrible, Its somewhat gritty and a little blurry. Most annoying of all, the sides of the screen are blurry. The TV menus are blurry, also while playing PS2, graphics look choppy and blurry on the sides. The wega had crystal clear picture, am very disappointed with the DLP so far. Can anyone give me some pointers?

Thanks,
Arick

Florida Us

Post Number: 4
arick,
I went the satellite route, when I first bought my dlp. I had to turn sharpness to about 15%, just to look at the picture without cringing. then I upgraded to a high-def directv receiver and went strictly Dvi, it was hard to watch on non-hd signals , it does the hd spectrum very well. I had a better image of the non-hd channels by going coaxial, and allowing the tv tuner to process the incoming signal.
The reason your wega did a better job with s-video is that that is a common standard for analog veiwing. High-def televisions need high-def signals to be judged against the archaic analog competitors. When a satellite signal comes in to your receiver it is a digital signal, then it's converted to analog inside the receiver and sent through s-video to your television. Hopefully your ps2 is being sent via component to tv, and the video settings to output at least 480p. Buy a X-BOX 360, hook it up component, and play. Then you've got a true high-def source to compare. The X-BOX had around 6 1080i games.

arick
Unregistered guest
Wow, so the TV is just made to view hdtv? if viewing plain analog channels the picture is not worth looking at?

Im unimpressed. Think I'll be going back to my wega. I just got a directv receiver, can't afford to upgrade to an hdtv unit. Can you get hdtv locals on the directv receiver?

CT

Post Number: 9
arick - you are definitely doing yourself a disservice by using SVideo input from your dish. Do you have either component (Red Green Blue) or DVI out of the DirecTV receiver? Those would be the preferred connection methods to get the most video quality from satellite. I get very good signal quality out of my SD (analog) cable channels using the tuner in the set (i.e. coax cable right into the TV). And, of course, I get excellent HD quality off my OTA antenna and cable. Watching DVD is also excellent using either component or DVI (progressive scan DVD player). Good luck!

Florida Us

Post Number: 5
You can get high-def locals on satellite, but first they have to determine whether or not you can reach those signals by off-air antennae, if they believe you can due to county zoning, then you won't receive those channels, it's a true conspiracy. It keeps the cable giants in control.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Paulc, check to see that your dlp isn't set to come on after an ac power cycle. I think it's under connections\special(commercial) features. There is a check box for turning the set on after a power cycle.

CT

Post Number: 10
Randy -

You're right - I changed the setting and did a simulated "loss of power" and the power light came on briefly (15 sec or so) but TV did not go on this time. Thanks for checking this for me!

Paul

RandyM
Unregistered guest
That 15 second or so light is when the operating system is booting. . . much like your computer. The set can't be turned on until after booting completes.

Username: Grzenio

Hi,
RandyM, do you have any information about european Thomson Scenium DLP RPTV models:
61DLW616
61DLX648

I'd like to know what chip (HD3, HD2+, HD4) they've got and what bulb is installed.

Can someone explain please: bulb type A and bulb type B.
Is it possible that a specific one model may use type A or type B?

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Sorry, but I don't have info on EU models. Typically, type A is Philips and type B is Osram. Yes, it is possible that either lamp could be used in the same model, but the ballast should be the same vendor as the lamp.

Anonymous

First off I am on the verge of buying a new HD50LPW175 for around 1900 dollars delivered. It seems like a great value. From what I have read this has the preferred HD2+ chip.

How does this compare to the Hd50lpw167? The spec sheet seem identical. Is the only difference on these two sets the packaging? Does this model have the HD2+ chip as well?

I like the look of the 175 model but if there is a reason to consider the 167 I will.

thank for any input

Anonymous

Oh yeah last question, maybe Randy can answer this:

At one retailer I keep seeing a 'H' at the end of RCA part numbers. What does this designate? Is it just a typo or are these refurbs or what?

Dave

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Anonymous, the W175 and W167 both use the HD3s chip. The HD2+ was stopped with the W162 models. You don't mention what you like about the HD2+ chip. . .but I would guess you might have read about the slight sharpness advantage. I want to be sure you know that there are many advantages to the W175 that far outshadow this difference. The W175 has better contrast ratio than any DLP I have seen, better than Samsung, Toshiba, or Sony, regardless of what the spec sheets say. The cabinet design is a big factor in this. The W175 also has a 7-segment color wheel for better low light dithering performance. Also, the W175 has a subwoofer to provide better audio performance. So, I strongly suggest the W175 because it is an outstanding performing set.

I don't know what the "H" might stand for. None of the major retailers should be selling product that isn't new.

Anonymous

Same anon here again, Thanks Randy. My questions came from the fact that the 167 seems to sell for more then the 175. Maybe people prefer the traditional look of the 167.

Yeah, the 'h' was a typo on the retailers site. I ended up buying the 175 today after a last comparison with similar models both RCA and others. The picture looks great even in daylight, and that is what drew me to the 175 in the first place.

BTW, PCRichards in Commack LI has the 175 on sale for 1610+tax. That is new, not a floor model. It seems like an un-advertised sale, so it may be only at that location. All DLPs are marked down a lot.

Anyway cant wait for the delivery so I can start some critical testing...

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Wow, 1610+tax is a fantastic price! I know it lower than the prices I've seen in Indiana for the W175. I would expect that the W167 and W175 would both sell in the $1799 area.

Username: Slickfifty

I have an RCA 61 inch DLP TV. Recently, when I turned the set off the upper left hand corner had a small triangle, almost like the set needed to be degaussed (i.e. as if a magnet was near the set). The picture is still viewable but I can also see the triangle when the picture is on. Any ideass what this may be?

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Something is in the light path between the engine and the screen. Possibly a piece of tape hanging down. It's very easy to remove the screws around the screen and lean it forward to fix this.

Bronze Member
Username: Nu2itall

Findlay, OH

Post Number: 27
I've now had my HD61LPW163 for 13 months now and it appears the internal tuner has failed. While watching a channel using that tuner the picture froze for a few seconds, then blanked out and displayed a "no signal" message (or something like that). This was a few days ago and the TV has since been turned off several times, I've tried disconnecting the power for a brief period and I've even switched cable inputs around from the cable box. Fortunately I do most of my viewing through the cable box and my DVD player has a tuner, so it's not huge deal but there are advantages to the internal tuner and I would like it back.

Randy, I know the warranty is 12 months but is that a "strict" 12 months? I'm only 1 month beyond that. Is there anything else I can try?

RandyM
Unregistered guest
I don't know how strictly a servicer must interpret the warranty period. You could inquire about it from a servicer or two.

A tuner failure is very unusual for DLPs. Sounds like you already did an ac power cycle (do at least 30 seconds, if you didn't before). Another thing to try before a servicer is a "factory reset". I'll have to confirm the exact location in the menus when I get back to work on Monday. Confirm a few things for me - Which tuner input is affected? Does it affect every channel you try to tune or just a few? Does it affect only high-definition channels or analog channels?

fx
Unregistered guest
Len,

My guess is your antenna connection just came loose.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Findlay, OH

Post Number: 28
Thanks for your help!

The antenna connection is good, my cable comes out of the wall and goes through a splitter to my 3 tuners (TV, Cable Box and DVD). I physically traded the cables at the rear of the TV and Cable Box and the problem stays with the TV tuner.

I tried cycling the power again, this time I timed it and it was disconnected for 7 minutes. No change. I found a "Reset" function in the Ethernet setup section and tried that. It causes the TV to "reboot" but still no change.

The exact message is "Unusable Signal", not "no signal" as I indicated above. This is the same message displayed when attempting to select an input which I know has nothing connected to it.

Thanks again for your help.

fx
Unregistered guest
My RCA shows the unusable signal message when I have changed the input to one that has no device connected as well as when the signal level from my OTA antenna drops below a certain level.

Your last post has me confused. I don't understand why you have a cable connected to your OAT antenna input instead of a seperate antenna.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Findlay, OH

Post Number: 29
I live in a relatively rural area and the few channels we receive are very weak. An OTA antenna would not be of much use. I split the cable as mentioned above for 2 reasons:

1) The TV tuner has better picture quality on SD channels so I will sometimes use it when watching those channels.

2) My cable box is an HD DVR and is capable of recording 2 shows simultaneously, but when you do that you have to watch 1 of those 2 shows. It rarely happens, but the TV tuner gives me the ability to watch a "3rd" show, including network HD.

As I said above; it's not a huge deal, it's just nice to have. At this point I wouldn't pay for a service call but I'm willing to spend a little time trying to work it out if possible.

Don in Houston
Unregistered guest
Glad I stumbled onto this thread! Haven't had a chance to read all of the archive yet. Yesterday I purchased a demo HDLP50W151 at the Conn's closeout center in Houston for $999. (They have a few more, if anybody wants one.) After purchase, I used the service manual technique to learn I have 3502 lamp hours, and 10523 pluged-in hours. In other words, it is about 14 months old and lamp-on 8 hours a day for that period.

Yes I can hear a little noise from it, but much less than the drone of the Xbox 360 fan! The image with the Xbox 360 games is incredible.

I am thinking that after 14 months in service, the infant (and toddler) mortality is over. I probably will have to replace a lamp soon. If I am lucky it will burn out before the 1 year warranty is up.

The RCA parts site shows the lamp for around $450. If it burns out, I might investigate if I can replace just the lamp itself with the Phillips bulb (I'm not gonna open it up til it breaks!)

Manual says to not put it on carpet. The shortest stand I can find it 19", which is too high. I think I'll just buy some black laminate shelving board to place it on.

Is the UPS necessary to allow the lamp to cool down? I didn't see any response to the question earlier in the thread regarding UPS capability. Seems like any old UPS that will give you 5 minutes to turn it off will work.

david nap
Unregistered guest
model #HD50LPW42 from walmart is it a good buy,
and what is the difference between model numbers for the same size

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Don, the reason why the manual says not to use the DLP directly on carpet is because some long (shag) carpeting may actually prevent adequate ventilation from the bottom of the cabinet. I use a stand that's about 12 inches tall and it's perfect for a DLP, since it raises the middle of the screen up to eye level from the chairs and sofa. If you look around a little, I'm sure you can find one about this height. A UPS is not needed for lamp cool down. When you turn the set off, there is a slow turn-off period, which allows you to turn back on quickly, but it really has nothing to do with cool down. Enjoy your DLP; it really is a perfect gaming display.

David, the HD50LPW42 is a model with speakers on the bottom, while the HD50LPW175 (at Best Buy) is a newer cabinet with speakers on the side. Both are very good sets with a lot of value. The W175 is my favorite model since it has a built-in subwoofer and a sleek low-profile cabinet, but the W42 might look better in a more traditional living area.

David nap
Unregistered guest
RandyM
I bought what I though was the HD50LPW42 but on the box it says HD50LPW62. Is this a better one,or not as good. thanks for the help

RandyM
Unregistered guest
David, that's cool! The W62 has the newer HD3s DLP chip, so you should like the picture on it better than the W42. It has a more film-like picture without any screen door effects. Enjoy!

Username: Iblamelotr

paulc wrote (10/11/05):
"Rca scenium HD50LPW164, I have a SA 8300HD DVR box, hooked up to cable by a coax line, then to the tv by the component video cables.

with the volume turned up loud enough, there is a audible buzz/hum that disappears when the cable is unhooked from the box, the purple bars also disappear, when the cable is unhooked from the box."

I have the RCA HD61LPW42 with the SA8300HB STB and I have the very same hum! However, my SD and HD pictures are beautiful. I, too, thought it was interference, but one thing that I noticed just before the cable guy finished was that he ran some volume control all the way to max. I suspect it was the 8300 output, but I haven't found any volume adjustment settings on the 8300 menus to check it out.

However, running an optical line from the 8300 to my audio system and disconnecting the standard audio cables took care of the hum. I suspect that it's a 8300 analog output problem, but since the optical digital works great (except for the lack of universal remote), I'm going to stick with that.

As for the video issue, don't let the cable company off the hook. If a DVD player works properly to the same component inputs that the 8300 is not working properly on, it's a cable/STB problem, not a TV problem.

Username: Jumpback

Steveh,
Pray your lamp never goes out. If it does you are sunk. There are none. Dont believe the 'backorder stories'. They are just that....stories!

Bronze Member

Findlay, OH

Post Number: 30
Good news regarding my internal tuner failure!

Under the "Main Menu/Connections" there is a setting labeled "Signal Source". Either I inadvertently changed it in the process of troubleshooting -or- it was changed by the event that caused the TV to "freeze" in the first place. Either way, it was set to "Antenna Input" rather that "Cable Input". Changing it back to "Cable Input" has fixed my problem. Just thought I'd throw it out there in case someone else experiences the same problem.

Regarding lamps. Hearing all the stories about how hard it was to get a lamp I decided to order one in preparation of the inevitable. It's been backordered for 6 weeks now (type B for $336 if you're curious). I'd be pretty upset if my expensive TV were actually out of commission for that amount of time. I'd suggest anyone else out there with an aging unit to take the same precaution. I'll feel a whole lot better having it on the shelf and ready to go during that "big game".

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Len, great news on the tuner setting! I didn't even think to suggest that.

And yes, the lamp fiasco continues across the industry. As I've stated before, Philips and Osram are the problem, not the TV manufacturers. We need more elves working on lamps and less working on toys:-)

Username: Iblamelotr

The problem i have with buying a spare bulb for the shelf is that I paid for a Best Buy extended warranty specifically because of the bulb cost. I bought a unit off the floor and figured it had more than a few hours on it. Guess I need to ask BB what happens if they can't get a bulb.

How do I go about seeing what bulb I have? Is the only way to know by pulling the old bulb out, or did the bulb manufacturer vary by model or seriel number?

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Steve, press the "menu" button and the "channel down" button on the front of the set at the same time. In the right column, find the bulb type. A=Philips, B=Osram. After doing this, press "clear" on the remote. Do not go anywhere else in this menu.

DavidF
Unregistered guest
Hope RandyM is out there, or someone with some insite on this. I've got an HD61LPW162. Had it for 11 months. The lamp unit has failed. Fortunately RCA/Thompson has been pretty quick to tell me that they can't get/don't have the part. They've offered a replacement with an HD61LPW165. I've tried to see the spec sheets on the RCA site, but the pages fail so I'm having a hard time figuring out if this is a good deal or not. I'm not too happy about the "about 3 weeks" to get it part though.
Any thoughts or advice?

DavidF,
I am in the same predicament as you. THERE ARE NO BULBS! I called at least six major wholesale parts places around the country and the parts dont exist. RCA doesnt have any either. It appears that they brought out a brand new technology without the benefit of the most integreal part...the freakin'lamp! If there were any lamps available for the foreseeable future RCA would not be offering replacement televisions. They have offered me the new 61DLP175 which is supposed to be delivered in the next two weeks. The bulbless set was a 61LPW4242 set and it was 12 months three weeks old.

I am so happy that RCA stands behind their sets like they do. I just wonder about their reliability and manufacturing problems. Their sets perform with the best of them, but I sure would like to have one more than a year before all hell breaks loose. The set with the bulb problem was a replacement for a 65" Scenium that had major problems with getting the set to turn on. That set was also a year old when it failed.

steveh,

You had better ask Best Buy about what they will do if there are no bulbs available because, as I have said before, THERE ARE NO BULBS AVAILABLE FOR THIS SET...

RandyM
Unregistered guest
David and Jumpback,
Replacing sets is our best effort to please the customer in a bad situation that we can not control. Every DLP manufacturer is being shorted right now on lamps. Lamps are arriving, but not enough. Believe me, our sets are very carefully designed to maximize lamp life and most manufacturers seem to be having bigger problems.

The W165 model is the next generation HD3s DLP chip, while the W162 is HD2+. This is a great offer in my opinion. Go to rca.com and select "television" and then "product category" for specs on all our sets.

In my opinion, the W175 is our best performer. It has fabulous contrast ratio and a 7-segment color wheel. I would love to get this set as a replacement for W42.

Post Number: 6
RandyM,
RCA is an outstanding company and I am really impressed the way they handle customer complaints and service questions.

Not sure how other mfg's handle problems like this, but to offer replacement televisions seem to me to be above and beyond service excellence.

RCA TV Owner
Unregistered guest
I own a 165 model and have been experiencing a problem like Steve describes above. Every 2-3 weeks at a seemingly random time the picture freezes, the power and menu buttons blink 8-10 times, the set turns itself off, and then powers back up after a few seconds and seems to work fine until the next picture freeze glitch. The whole process takes about a minute or less and happens without any input from me. Anyone else experience this? Randy, do you have any insight into this problem?

RandyM
Unregistered guest
The symptom you describe is the control system resetting itself. It monitors so many things that can trigger it, that I could only speculate on causes. Do you happen to be using a CableCard? I know they are sometimes quirky.

rca tv owner
Unregistered guest
Hi Randy,

No I don't have a cable card. All of my viewing is via component connections to a cable box and a DVD player. It has only happened when I watch the cable input but I have the TV on that input at least 95% of the time.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Hmmm. I'm pretty confident that there is nothing seriously wrong if the frequency is 2-3 weeks. I know it could become an annoyance if it happens more frequently. You could try unplugging the ac power for 1-2 minutes and then plugging it back in. This reboots the control system and might reset a glitch somewhere.

Username: Slickfifty

I previously posted the following:

>>I have an RCA 61 inch DLP TV. Recently, when I
>>turned the set off the upper left hand corner
>>had a small triangle, almost like the set needed
>>to be degaussed (i.e. as if a magnet was near
>>the set). The picture is still viewable but I
>>can also see the triangle when the picture is
>>on. Any ideass what this may be?

I tried the suggestion by RandyM but it didn't change the "triangle". I took the front cover off (yes, it was easy!) and carefully cleaned the mirrors and lens. I also visually inspected the lens for any problems but didn't see anything.

Is there anything else I should be looking at - maybe the lamp, etc.?

Unregistered guest
Anyone here waiting on a RCA 260962 bulb from RCA? I just received notice that my order placed 30 DAYS ago is still holding. I called the company and found out that the bulb is on INTERNATIONAL BACKORDER. I wonder how long the wait will be??

I wonder if we can sell our $3,000 piece of junk TV's on E-Bay? Right now, they are pretty much WORTHLESS!!!!!!!!

Post Number: 7
Mark,
I cannot answer your question about the bulb your set uses. Mine 'used' (note I am using past tense since this bulb is not available anytime, anywhere, any how) part number 265103.

You need to squawk to the RCA 'Research Team'. Call 1-580-634-0151. Wade thru the following sequence #1, #5,#3,#1.

You might be in line for a replacement television.

You could also try the following wholesalers:

Fox International.........972 231 1880/1-800-321-6993
The Parts Store.......1-866-925-7278

Good luck!

Kevin293
Unregistered guest
Mark you can buy your lamp from here http://www.ercservice.com/lamps/RCA-Lamps/260962.html

They said that have an order in transit right now

Other option is replace the bulb alone. I just received my bulb today and worked trouble free. Its the same philips bulb used by RCA in the 260962, it cost me $309 plus shipping.
In fact RCA didn't make the bulbs, they just order it from Philips in the case of the 260962 and from Osram in the case of the 265103 and 265866.
I bought my Philips bulb from here: http://www.ercservice.com/lamps/philips/UHP-100W_120W-R95.html

If the case of your lamp is in good condition I highly suggest replace the bulb and save some dollars

Best Regards

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Slick Fifty, let me ask a few light engine experts on Monday about the triangle you see. One question, is the triangle black or is there some color in it?

Username: Mike_schaefer

Randy,

This is very generous of you to donate so much time and you knowledge of this product thank you very much. I plan on calling the 1800 number listed earlier in the thread, but I wanted to hear from you as well.

I have the very loud whinning problem that others have encountered with thier DLP sets. I'm assuming that it is the color wheel. My question is this: How much does a color wheel cost and is it something a repair company fixes or do I just order the part and do it myself?

I Have model number HD61LPW42.

Thank you very much for any help available.

Mike Schaefer

DavidF
Unregistered guest
RandyM
Can you tell me if the HD61LPW165 uses a different bulb (I hope) than the HD61LPW162? Since RCA is offering the W165 as a replacemnt for our W162 I thought I'd better find out. I'm still debating since RCA will only give a 90 day warranty on the replacement and the extended warranty I could buy from RCA doesn't cover lamps. Hmm.. Have they figured something out?

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Slick Fifty, the light engine gurus doubt that you have a light engine problem. I know you have already looked inside at the light path, but it might be worth another look. There is a foam circle that fits between the output lens of the light engine and the large plastic dust barrier that could easily cause an effect like you are describing. It doesn't take much for this foam circle to block a corner of the light path. You might push this foam down and make sure it is well below the lens.

Mike, I don't know the cost of a color wheel, but it shouldn't be very much. However, I would recommend that you let a servicer change this. It's not real difficult, but there are a couple of tricks that make the whole process a lot smoother, so I would suggest an experienced person.

David, the W165 does use a different lamp than the W162. The lamp should be warrantied for 1 year on the new set. I don't think we deal directly in extended warranties. . . they are usually offered by 3rd parties, but I know some warranties do cover lamps.

Cscliff4
Unregistered guest
I too am in the same position with no lamp. Is there really no bulbs? I purchased mine through Best Buy with a service plan. The technician came out on November 28th and said he needed to order a replacement lamp. Best Buy then called me a few days later and told me that they had no idea when the lamp would be in stock, but they would keep me updated weekly. Has anyone else dealt with this problem with Best Buy? Was it resolved?

Cscliff4
Unregistered guest
Has anyone used the dvd conversion players with the DVI to HDMI cable yet on these RCA DLP's? Is I worth it?

RandyM
Unregistered guest
No lamps is too strong. I understand that lamps arrive every week, but are short of the demand between production and replacements. There is a huge lead time between orders and fulfillment, plus other manufacturers are experiencing higher demand than expected, too.

Yes, I have used several DVD players with upconversion through both DVI and HDMI. Unless you go to a very high-end DVD player, the upconverters in the DVD players are not going to be as good as the upconverter in the RCA DLP. DVI and HDMI advantages are mainly in cabling. The video advantages are very subtle and most will not see a difference over component cables. By the way, DVI and HDMI cables are very expensive, too.

Post Number: 8
DavidF,
Where is the decision? There are no bulbs available for your current set and RCA is offering an upgraded replacement set. What is there to think about? Unless they are offering cash which I do not think they do.

Grab the set before they change their mind!

Post Number: 9
Cscliff4,
You dont say what set you have, but as far as I can tell only one person on this board has ever gotten a replacement bulb from RCA or any other distributor. I would say Best Buy is going to be rather helpless in this situation regardless of their best intentions. No one stocks bulbs it seems and everyone is at the mercy of the manufacturer which I guess would be Phillips and Osram.

RCA does not offer an extended warranty on any of their sets except for the picture tube. According to the local and very experienced RCA authorized repair shop the picture tube is about the last thing that will break on the set.

Hope you have a back up tv because you will be watching it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past Christmas.

Sorry....

scooter1949
Unregistered guest
hi i have an rca 61dlp does anyone know how or what to get to hook up ethernet connection for browser i already have wireless and dont want to run wires unless i have to has anyone else hooked a wireless component to this if so what kind and how??

RandyM
Unregistered guest
If your set supports the ethernet/web browser, it will be in the main menu. Press the menu button once. If the last item in the list is "Web Browser", then your set is ready. Of course, if you have a wireless router, you will also need a wireless adapter to plug into the ethernet jack, just like you were connecting a computer.

Cscliff4
Unregistered guest
Jumpback,

I have a 50" HD50LPW42.

Randy,

Thanks for the reasurance. I don't mind waiting as much as waiting and wondering if my lamp would ever arrive. It sounds to me like the dvd hd conversion players are pretty much a scam. I researched it and found out the dvi hdmi cables are almost as much as the dvd player itself. I think it is confusing that the term High Definition is used so loosly in the electronics market. Things like the new x-box advertises high definition games but does not say that most of them are only 720p with only some titles in 1080i. I have even had some people show me that the back of their dvd says something about high definition when their high definition is much different than what our hdtv's are capable of. I'm confident everyone here knows the difference but the average consumer might be fooled. Forum's like this one are the only clear outlet to have these questions answered. The average electronics salesperson I have encountered does not seem to know much of anything about what he is selling.

Has anyone ever used a DVI cable with their cable or satellite provider? Is it worth the $100 dollars monster sells it for?

Randy,

With your background, I wanted to ask you if you had any insight on the progression of hddvd. I have found some literature on the subject but not anything helpful. Do you think it is going to be next year, 5 years from now.

Scooter,

I used the web browser on my TV and was not very pleased. The controls are very awkward with the pointer(make shift mouse on the internet keyboard) and the web browser has many limitations like no streaming video. It is also not very pleasant reading on a screen much furthur away than your average comuter screen. I have the 50" so I hope the browser on your 61" is somehow better. Just a warning, you might be dissapointed as I was when you get it up and running. You could plug the modem directly into your ethernet port as I did to try the web browser out for now.

Big Woo
Unregistered guest
Hi Randy,
First and foremost, I want to thank you for all of the time and info you have posted here. I have learned a lot.
I bought an HD61LPW42 floor model from a closing CC in February for $1409.00. They threw in a DLP58X base for another $50.00.
I have it hooked up through a Hughes HTL-HD DirectTV receiver.
I have NEVER seen such a brilliant and clear picture, nor finer details in any TV I have every watched, including many I have looked at in retail stores. I am stoked and my friends are jealous.

About a month ago it started hissing like a banshee and today the CC tech came over and told me it was the color wheel. He didn't touch or open up the set. I have no problems with the picture, just the can of snakes having a laser war in back.
He told me it may take at least 30 days to get the part and to call CC and see if they would just give me another set.
CC told me the part should be in within 7-10 days and to call them back if they hadn't procured the part and called me by then.

Through this site I was able to find that unit has 9444 hours on it, with 5361 on the bulb.
I have put the vast majority of the bulb hours on the set as it is on 12-18 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Here are some other specs I have:
DM Bootloader: B8.11
DM Platform: AA.00
DM Application: AA.00
Guide 5.5.32
1394: VL_WCE_Jun 162003
Link Hardware:b2
Link Software: b
FPGA: 2.8
Video Driver: T3.7.2.v9
DM Ser# 17739404212571
DM EEPROM: 16
Module: DM2CR
Instrument: MD2
Formatter EEPROM: 19
Driver EEPROM: 14
Manufactured Jan. 04

Sorry for all that perhaps useless info, but I wanted you to have all I know.

Here are my questions:

1) What type of color wheel do I have and what would be the approx. cost to replace it when the warranty is over (2/07)
2) What chipset is in this unit?
3) Should I connect it to my DSL for any updates, and might I open another can of worms if I do this?
4) What bulb type is in this unit (I think it is the 260962 housed unit) and if that is the expensive one, would it be possible to change the transformer to use the less costly bulb?
There is a sticker on the right side of the TV that says OB-A
5) Do you expect this bulb to remain available or be produced for the foreseeable future?
6) How long might I reasonably expect this unit to last if I heep it clean and cool?
7) Should I try to get a replacement unit if it is offered and what would a comparable unit be?

Again, I am sorry for the long read, but these questions should answer just about everything a person needs to know about this set in one post.

Thanks again for your efforts and time on our behalf. I LOVE this TV.
Coupled with my audio system
this thing rocks.

Unregistered guest
Randy,

I am hoping you can help me - I bought the HD50LPW151 (The 1st Scenium model) about 2 years ago. I had troubles initially and had to get a replacement set. Since then it has been reliable and I enjoy the picture except for the glare from the protective screen. I've looked into this and have found that behind the protective screen there is an anti-reflective screen, but the bezel and protective screen are one piece.

What I want to do is to get the bezel from the HDLP50W42 or one of the other models (preferably the newer ones with the black bezel). I've compared the models in the stores and the hole patterns are identical. I've tried calling RCA several times and they have not understood my problem. You seem to be the 1st really knowledgable person on these TVs.

Please write back here or to my email.

Thank you in advance!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Big Woo, I will jump in here, but believe me when I say I am no expert like Randy. Just an RCA consumer with A LOT of experience with their service people.

You have the same set that I had for the last 15 months. Lamp/bulb went out and I have been on waiting lists with RCA and various wholesalers for over two months. No lamp/bulb in sight. Cost is $336.00. One wholesaler emailed me and told me to basically forget it as they have no intention of ever stocking that particular item. RCA is replacing the set with the newest of their 61" models...#175
It should be here tomorrow.

You got a great price on your set and I agree the RCA's perform with the best sets available. However, bulbs are like aliens. A lot of people think they are here...but they are not. At least not that I could find with a great deal of searching. Expect a little green man to appear at your door step before the bulb.

You might want to get on the RCA part list for the bulb. Maybe yours will last six more months and by that time a bulb will mysteriously appear.

If RCA is giving out new tv's in lieu of a bulb, I would think the problem with bulb/lamp production is pretty dramatic.

Question for you and Randy. How does the set have 9000+ hours and your lamp only 5000+ hours?

Randy, what does RCA do with the tv's they take back?

Bronze Member

CT

Post Number: 11
Cscliff4 - I have an Oppo OPDV971H upscaling DVD player that I think has a superior picture to my other Sony progressive scan (480p) player. It has 720p and 1080i output capability (need to use 1080i on my W42). It also reads DivX and Xvid files (.avi format). It came standard with a DVI cable and if you have an HDMI interface on your TV, OPPO will send you a DVI-HDMI converter cable (I believe free of charge). Unit is $200 (got from Amazon)

Bronze Member

CT

Post Number: 12
Jumpback - I believe the higher (9000+) hour number is the amount of time the set has been plugged in - the lower number is the amount of time the TV has been on...

Anonymous

"It has 720p and 1080i output capability (need to use 1080i on my W42)"

Your set is a 720P display. You could use the 720P output from the DVD player to avoid a scaling step.

Big Woo
Unregistered guest
I believe that the lamp in my set has been replaced. Thats how the set has more hours than the bulb.
When I tried to find the hissing sound (color wheel) I noticed only one screw on the bulb housing. One appeared to be missing.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Cscliff4, I don't have a lot of insight on HD DVD, but from I have heard, rollouts will start mid-to-late 2006 and full distributions will be 2007.

Big Woo,
1. It sounds like the bearings are going out on your color wheel, thus, the squeal. I don't know how much the wheel will cost to replace.
2. The chipset is HD-2.
3. The code you have is close to the last released for that system, so I wouldn't mess with an update.
4. The lamp is Philips and, unfortunately, it is one of the more expensive lamps to replace. The newer lamps for HD-3 engines will not accept this lamp.
5. Several manufacturers used this lamp so I would expect that it will be available for quite a while.
6. The beauty of DLP is that it lasts virtually forever. TI says the DLP chipset will last 30 years. The color wheel and lamp are the weak links and your lamp has approached average life span. After the lamp is replaced the picture is just as bright and sharp as the day you bought it.
7. This is really your call. I have no idea what deals are being made. Best of luck!

Techtoyman, yes, it is possible to change the screen on a W151, however, it is a little involved, so I don't recommend it for average consumers. The W42 bezel uses completely different screen brackets and screws, so they would all have to be ordered by an RCA servicer. You are right, the anti-reflective screen you have could be used in the W42 bezel.

Bronze Member

CT

Post Number: 13
Anonymous - yes, the set is a 720p native display but does not accept a 720p signal on any input (other than coaxial). Appears this was a compromise made on these sets by RCA. Therefore, you need to use the 1080i signal which gets scaled by the set to 720p (quite nicely, but would be nice if it didn't have to go through this unnecessary conversion step)...

RandyM
Unregistered guest
PaulC is right for the W151 and W42 models, but the newer models do accept 720p from component, too.

Username: Na1024

Rockvville, MD USA

Anyone have comments on RCA HD50LPW175 at BEST BUY for 1799.00 --I also have a 10% off coupon; Is this a good buy.I was leaning towards a Samsung brand and I would like to know if this is a newer model for RCA; also normally I do not buy service contract, looks like I have to get one as they cover the bulb replacment..

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Nimmi, I work for RCA in Product Development, so I'm biased. However, we compare sets from everybody and I believe the W175 model is as good as anybody out there. It is an outstanding performing set and a great value. Sounds like you are getting a real steal at $1799 - 10%. We warranty the lamp for 1 year.

Rockvville, MD USA

Thanks Randy for the prompt reply; How long does the lamp last on these models; We do not watch much TV (maybe average 2 hrs)and we are not critical TV viewers; my current TV conked and I need one TV; the original TV i had is Sony console- hahaha - so this is like a big leap technology-wise; I think I should really get the warranty as I am so naive about the whole thing-

RandyM
Unregistered guest
A good average life is about 5,000 hours. Some people get more and, unfortunately, some people get less. If you watch 2 hours/day, your lamp should last a very long time. The extended warranty makes a lot of sense for heavy tv viewers because of the lamp, but even in your case, it might be a good idea. . .that is up to you to decide. Since this is a "big leap" in technology for you, I guarantee that you will be absolutely blown away by the high definition picture.

Rockvville, MD USA

Ok - great-- off to BEST BUY - I go-- I will keep you posted-- did as much research as I could; thank you for your guidance

Cscliff4
Unregistered guest
Nimmi Acherya,

I have some advice for you if you haven't bought your t.v. from best buy yet. First I would like to agree with the others and say my rca dlp tv has the best picture I have ever seen on any television. You'll find yourself watching a lot more discovery channel!
I purchased the service plan from Best Buy for my tv a year ago. My lamp just went out and although rca is having a shortage on lamps, best buy has promptly contacted me to describe the situation in detail saying the lamp won't be available until january. Since then they have made good on their promise that they would keep me updated at least once a week. In a nut shell, I am happy with their warranty service thus far.

Also I would like to add that the origional cost of the warranty was $400. Best Buy employees, though not commissioned, are put under a lot of pressure to sell those warranty's. They can be very pushy but so can you. It was fairly easy to get the salesman to nock off $100 of the price of the warranty! So I reccommend giving it a try.

Cscliff4
Unregistered guest
Has anyone dealt with fine scratches on their screen? Is there any products out their claiming to fix them? Has anyone fixed a scratch on their television before?

Rockvville, MD USA

Thanks Cscliff4 for your advice;
I was all excited to get this TV; but was told by the salesperson that it did not come with a built in HD tuner, as i thought and was told that I must pay 70 to 90 dollars a month to my cable company for the service to get the best reception; not sure if I would be getting this TV; if i still decide to buy this TV then i will definetly try to bargain the warranty price- thanks

Any thoughts on Hitachi HIT 42V710 $2 inch LCD rear Projection for 1399.00 - why is the price reduced on this (web only special) any thoughts on this-- i am researching all over again!!

Rockvville, MD USA

Also free stand along with HIT 42V710 a value 0f $240 comes free with this TV purchase-- ( see prior post)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Well, RCA made good on their promise to send me a replacement set (HD61dlp175). It is, in all honesty, beautiful!. They took back my old (13 months old) HD61dlp42 set. The reason indicated on the work order from RCA was 'NO LAMPS AVAILABLE'.

The RCA authorized repair guys said that the bulbs are made in China and that this set is the umpteenth one they have replaced due to NO BULBS AVAILABLE.

So,CfCliff4, if you have a bulb in January I would not only be happy for you but AMAZED as well. RCA kept me apprised of my bulb ordering status as well, but telling me for months on end that it was still on order gets pretty old.

You are at the start of this process. Let me know how happy you are after you miss the winter olympics. I am not a pessimistic sort of person, but my experience with, what is known around my household as the..."Lamp Sagas" tell me you are just getting 'happy words' from the middle man a/k/a Best Buy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Randy or anyone with an opinion can you tell me if this is good advice.

On my recently installed DLP set the technician advised that quite a few bulb failures are caused by power surges and power failures. I have a pretty expensive Monster Surge Protector, but the techie said that is not enough. He advised me to get a UPS which, if there is a power failure, will allow the fan which cools the bulb to continue to operate. This is the first time I have ever heard this.

What say you?

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 501
Absolutely!

It doesn't take a big one, either.
A Belkin 550VA works nicely.
Plug it into your Monster for an extra layer of surge protection.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Nimmi, the W175 DOES have a built-in HD tuner. . .every RCA DLP does. You will not need additional equipment from the cable company to receive high definition broadcasts.

Cscliff, no, I don't know of anything that successfully repairs scratches in the screen. Most efforts that I have seen make them worse.

Jumpback, a surge protector always gives an extra bit of protection to expensive electronics. I would agree it might be a little harder on the lamp if the power drops out suddenly and the fan doesn't get to cool the lamp, but I've never seen it cause a lamp failure in the lab. By the way, the lamps are not made in China. . . most are made in Europe.

Unregistered guest
Randy, I have a HDLP50W151 which just blew a bulb after 11 months, (whew, under warranty and thankfully the warranty is 24 months in Canada). Will the UHP 100W 1.3 Philips E23 bulb work in this TV like some people say they will? I was thinking of stocking up on a couple of replacements. Will this bulb be available for the foreseeable future?

Unregistered guest
Randy, thank you for your time, I have a HDLP50W151 that has made its second birthday. Unfortunately, that squeel from the color wheel is growing more pronounced. It had happened once or twice during the warranty period but I didn't know of the problem to report it. So my question is, Can I change this piece, which I believe costs just over $200.00, myself or do I need a service tech. Also, are the new color wheels for this model improved? Thanks Again.

Karenfrom Canada
Unregistered guest
Hey, Jumpback, Did RCA replace the TV within the warranty period, or outside of it?

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Karen, yes, the lamp you describe will work in the W151 model. Availability is up to the lamp manufacturers, but several sets were made this type lamp, so I think demand for replacements will be strong for several years.

Dr H, yes, it is possible to change a color wheel yourself on a W151, if you are very mechanically adept. It is easy to get to on this light engine, once you get the backcover off the set. It takes a very small torx screwdriver and the color wheel itself is fragile. All that said, I still don't recommend it for most consumers, because it goes a lot smoother when done by an experienced tech. Yes, the early color wheels had regular ball bearings, while the newer ones have sleeve bearings that are quieter.

KarenfromCanada
Unregistered guest
Thanks Randy, What will RCA do if lamps are no longer available for Tv's they sold?

Unregistered guest
Thanks Randy for your prompt response so I'll reward you with more questions. How fragile is fragile for the color wheel? Could I damage anything else? The part number I have is 212184,do you know if this is for the old color wheel or the newer model with the sleeve bearings. All this technology and it comes down to ball bearings. I would have paid the extra few pennies for the sleeve bearings. I'm actually considering doing this myself. Thanks again and Happy Holidays.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us