EDTV or HDTV plamsa

Username: Pmelsh

Arroyo Grande, CA

Post Number: 2
Is there any advantage to getting an HDTV ready plasma if I am mainly using if for DVD's and non-HDTV DirecTV reception? Seems to be a big difference in price.

Username: Kid_red

EDTV is a scam. No question. It's a way for those who want the plasma but don't want to spend $5k. Why spend 3k on a tv when you get get dozens of RPTVs, LCDs, and DLPs with a much better HD picture.

Not to mention plasmas fade over the years, suffer from burn ins, etc.

Unregistered guest
EDTV monitors are just fine, the price justifies it. I was about to buy a $7,000 HDTV Sony, then I saw a $2,700 Tatung EDTV playing right underneath it, and I couldn't believe how minor the difference was. The main difference is this: EDTVs are 4 times the resolution of a normal TV. HDTV are 8 times the resolution (if you have a high def. signal). BUT, when viewing non-high-definition signals (whether analog or digitial) the EDTV actually performs better because the distortion cause by non-HDTV is actually "seen" less. So until virtually all TV signals are pure HD, then the EDTV is a very, very good compromise for the price. If price is not a consideration for you, then just get the HDTV. If you care about price/value, get the EDTV. I am very, very happy with my EDTV monitor and I am so glad I did not shell out the extra $2k - $4k for a comparable size HDTV monitor.

Unregistered guest
P.S. LCD's don't have a better picture than plasmas in my opinion. LCDs have terrible blurring effect from fast-moving images and they suffer from sound/video delay. The only benefit I saw (or heard rather) is that LCDs don't have the sometimes annoying "buzzing" sound that comes from the back of a plasma. A plasma screen TV is basically one big neon sign, so they sound like a neon sign, too...except for Sony, they have figured it out how to make a silent plasma, but still too expensive anyway.

Username: Meeks

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased a panasonic th-42pa20. for those of you who know this model it's edtv. my question is how do i get the best picture from watching tv? every cable company and zoom included seem only to sell hdtv, would getting a hdtv package improve my edtv viewing? thanks for any relplies..

Anonymous

If your tv (or external HDTV tuner) can downconvert an HDTV signal to EDTV, then HDTV programming will work for you. For instance, The Panasonic TH-42PA20 can downconvert from a 1080i signal, but not 720p. So it's really a matter of knowing what type of HDTV signal is available (1080i vs 720p) and seeing whether your TV can downconvert to 480p.

Now if you can't downconvert, there's no special service I know of that provides 480p programming. But there are still advantages to EDTV... (1) You can watch movies at 480p with a progressive scan DVD player. (2) Some video game consoles offer 480p resolution, which would make your gaming experience oh so more realistic. (3) You may experience an improved picture if you have digital cable service, since your EDTVs is likely to have its own digital tuner... I have COX Digital Cable in San Diego and the pure digital channels (for some reason its only those chanels higher than 99, for instance MTV2, HBO, PPV, etc) I receive look nearly as good as my progressive scan DVD player.

vurbano
Unregistered guest
Rick, The EDTV technology in a plasma produces HD picture quality similar to a HD set when viewed from 7ft distance.
The advantage of buying an EDTV over HDTV in terms of plasma is that you can enjoy SDTV much better in a lower resolution set such as EDTV than HDTV. You are paying premium $$ today for HDTV with not much HD content available. Once the industry decides to adopt HDTV more, HDTV prices in plasmas and other monitors will decline because of more supply and demand.

Rick, I assume you've never seen an EDTV plasma properly calibrated in a controlled environment else you wouldn't be posting this kind of nonsense.

As far as burn-in, all phosphor based technologies are affected by burn-in and I've seen cases with LCD as well. If you calibrate your unit properly, the chances of burn-in are slim to none.

Fading over the years ? Yeah, after 60k hours which with normal viewing should account to 20 years if viewing the set 8 hours a day.

vurbano
Unregistered guest
Miko, you made an excellent purchase. That EDTV is regarded as one of the best EDTV in the market because of its high contrast. The black levels on that unit are simply amazing. I highly suggest you to get a copy of DVE or AVIA to properly calibrate the contrast and picture setting. The Tint and color are also calibrated with this tool. If you need more information about plasmas, there is a forum dedicated for questions like this in avsforum.com

Jackson5
Unregistered guest
I just bought a 50 inch HDTV plasma for my living room and a 42 inch EDTV plasma for my bedroom. To be honest, the picture quality of both are really great. If you want a plasma of a certain size and the HD version isn't in your budget, go ahead and get the ED version. It is still leaps and bounds ahead of other tv's from an aesthetic standpoint, and the picture quality isn't something that you will notice when watching your day to day movies and television.

Username: Meeks

Post Number: 3
O.k. now i have hd cable from time warner.. There's a recent post about downconverting through the cable box, and i have found the feature. Now what should i do.. I'm the guy with the 42 Pannie EDTV.. thanks for any input..

3m3rson
Unregistered guest
Get some component cables and hook it up man! Let us know how it looks.

Jimmyedtv
Unregistered guest
I have an EDTV plasma (Pan TH42PWD6UY) and HDTV satellite service. The HD channels offered throught the satellite look absolutely great on the EDTV!
However, I would like to hook up an antenna to receive the off-air HD channels. Will there be any issues since I have EDTV? Or, will it be similar to the reception I get with the satellite service?

Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung SP 4251 42 inch PLasma EDTV and am wondering if I made a good purchase as far as the plasma TV is concerned?!

Bronze Member
Username: Bestbuyguy

Post Number: 11
EDTVs for now are a good value, until HDTV completely hits. I would only buy an EDTV if i were watching DVDs, they don't support a resolutions much above 480P anyways, i think i've seen like 630P or somsethin ridiculous. Or if i were to not watch HDTV. As far as the fading over the years BS, plasmas don't start to fade until after about 30,000 hours of use. EDTVs are great for the time being, but when everything goes HD in about 4 years or so, you'll all be missin' out.

anonon
Unregistered guest
EDTV vs/ HDTV it only matters if you're the kind of guy that has a big screen (or a little d*ck)

Unregistered guest
I have a seven day old Toshiba 42" Plasma (42HP83) HDTV and I am getting horizontal green "flashes" about 4 inches in diameter. They appear randomly but rather frequently. On occasion there will be a green "flash" appearing verticaly but not nearly as often as the horizontal. Any idea what might be causing this?

The video cable being used is the cable supplied with the Comcast digital box so I believe the cable is OK.

Thank You for any help!

Unregistered guest
I am Confused of getting the new "Panasonics Viera TH-42PA30 " Plasma panel 42" .. it's EDTV and has the advantage of 1:4000 Contrast Ratio . since we dont got HDTV services in the region till now ( middle east )and even for the next 3 years or so ... the only thing i would probebly use is Progresive scan DVD player for getting the best picture quality source ..

1. Does it worth getting a HDTV Plasma insted of EDTV ?? upon my Models Specs on Contrast ratio ?
2. Accuratly .. how many years would it take to switch 70% of Tv services,video consoles ,DVD formats to HDTV?? and how much are they out nowadays ?
3. Does HDTV signals works with outputs such as Progresive scan dvd player or does it need a special HDTV decoded dvd player.
4.does Contrast ratio 1:4000 makes a great deal of advantage on the plasma panel to make us forget about HDTV and "not highly enough resolution" scrupulocity !!?
5. is it the right time to buy such an Expensive thing .. i feel that i am in the middle of a devoloping technology (HDTV) that no wonder when it would take it's place !! ??

Thank you ... best wishes

P.s: the sales guy told me that new models of Plasma screens now does an Automatic Pixel refreshing or " washing" proccess to prevent burn in for sure .

Littlefoot
Unregistered guest
I have a four-day-old Samsung 42" EDTV (SP-P4251) plasma and I'm going to return it tomorrow because there is banding and blotchiness that I just can't seem to get rid of.

Talking strictly DVD's, the overall picture is incredible, but when you see light shining on/off of something, it looks pixelated and rainbow-like. Instead if seeing a soft, wispy glowing circle around a lit candle, you see grainy bands of colors.

I've played with every possible setting, used four different DVD players, DVI, Component Video, RCA, etc, and I can't totally eliminate the banding and graininess. The best results I acheived using a one-year-old Sony DVD player with Comp Vid and Acoustic Research cables (Monster Cables made it worse...)

Shrek 2 is a good one to see the banding. At the beginning, when the light shines down on the book, the light is not soft and filled, but has grainy vertical bands that stretch down to the book. Further in, when Prince Charming dashes across the land and the sun turns into a moon (day into night) the effects of the radiating light from each heavenly body is not as soft and full as it should be.

Not sure what to do. Tried turning off DNLe, Film Mode, blah blah blah... No success... And then when I get it at least KIND of watchable, I return to regular TV and the picture looks like crap and I have to retweak everything...

Maybe I'll go with a Panasonic or Sharp LCD...

Anonymous

One thing that people may not consider is the possible psychological aspect (buyer's remorse) of the situation. Even if you usually watch DVD's and SD program but in the rare case when you watch HD program (which will become increasingly likely), wouldn't you wonder how much better it would be if your were watching a HDTV? Only if you really want a Plasma and nothing else but cannot afford a HD set, you would go with a ED plasma. As someone pointed out that there are many much better HD non-plasma sets available that are about the same price as a plasma EDTV.

Littlefoot
Unregistered guest
I had the Samsung 46" HDTV projection (3rd Gen) for two weeks, and the DLP gave me severe headaches within 15-30 minutes of viewing. Tried various lighting/backlighting solutions, and it still made me feel ill.

When I took it back to Best Buy, the Tech Pro said he'd never heard of that, and that I must be making up. What an idiot! The next day, I went back to look at plasmas, and I was standing beside a different Tech Pro who was talking to another tech about DLP. That Tech Pro said he couldn't use the tv's with DLP because it gave him serious headaches and a nauseated feeling.

Unfortunately, I loved the picture quaility of the DLP better than plasmas, but I need to be able to enjoy what I'm watching. Having to look away from the set and close your eyes and rub them every five minutes isn't actually enjoyable...

Anonymous

The current issue of Consumer Reports stated that a Sony 42" Plasma EDTV is even better that HDTV.

Unregistered guest
Thanks you guys, you've really helped me make up my mind. I think I go with the EDTV for now. And when the great HDTV take over takes full form I should be able to afford one. But for now EDTV should suit me just fine.

Placee
Unregistered guest
NORCENT ???

Has anyone ever heard of this brand? Do they make quality products?

I am thinkng of getting a Norcent 42" EDTV for just under $1400. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Username: Soupertrooper

Rorich, I had the same thoughts as u do. But, HDTV will be in full swing about 4 years from now, and realistically I don't think I'll be willing to spend another 2-3 grand 4 years from now for a new TV just to be able to display true HD signal. And by that time, the EDTV would be obsolete to sell at a decent price. So realistically, I'd be stuck with ED for a good period of time. That's why I'm leaning towards HDTV.
Besides, I also believe it won't be too long until we can find 720p/1080i true HD DVD players (with HDMI) at BB or CC at an affordable price. In my case, my biggest reason to buy an HDTV is to watch movies better.

Unfortunately, my budget only allows me to get either 42" plasma HDTV (don't know which one yet) or 50" LCD HDTV (sony KDF-50WE655)
42" plasma HD is more expensive, but it certainly looks great on the wall of my family room, and eventhough I shouldn't be too worried about burn-in issue, I know that it would always haunt me on the back of my mind.

50" LCD is $ 1,000 cheaper and bigger in size, but I'd need something for the TV to sit on, and it doesn't look as elegant. And I have a good faith on this particular Sony being able to produce wonderful colors without lamp/bulb problem.

My family room size is 16'x15', and I really don't know whether 42" would be enough or not. I know that the bigger is the better, but I'd be happy with "enough" as long as it's not too small. I have no doubt that 50" would be sufficient, but I don't have the money to buy 50" plasma.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post Number: 4
Such as this. Denon DVD-1910
It produces 720p or 1080i.

http://www.audioreview.com/DVD,Players/Denon/PRD_325680_1587crx.aspx

Post Number: 5
More info on ED vs HD.

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5137915-1.html?tag=hdtv.4520-7874_1-5137915-1

TV stations do broadcast in either 720p or 1080i these days. Another reason why I'm leaning towards HD instead of ED.

Username: Mnlovell

I went to BB to purchase the panny TH-42PD25U. They had only the display in stock. The sales clerk said they would no longer be handling this unit in the future. Anyone know why this might be?

Unregistered guest
I have a Zenith EDTV 42" plasma tv. Im having a my cable company hook up a DVR which is capable of HDTV. If I want the HDTV signal it will cost $5 more per month. Question is will I recieve any benifits on my EDTV with the HDTV signal or will I be waisting my money?

Post Number: 7
Timporium,
Please read my post:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/109437.html

and don't forget to pay a close attention to the chart on this article too
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5137915.html

You can see what EDTV and HDTV can and cannot do.

Anonymous

I do not get the difference. Does not matter if the monitor is EDTV or HDTV. If the monitor scaler can handle 1080i/720p it will scale the input signal to the Plasma display resolution. That is why most EDTV sets DO work on 1080i/720p. I do agree they have lower resolution (858x480 compared to 1024x1024 or 1024x768 on HDTV Plasma Displays). But BOTH have to scale the native signals (720p at 1280x720 and 1080i at 1920x1080). That is the main reason why if you want to get the BEST picture possible with any fixed resolution device (Plasma or LCD) you should get a decent EXTERNAL scaler to scale the signal to the exact resolution your display can handle (858x480 for example) so no scaling will happen on the display (there is a reason why external scalers like Faroudjas cost a lot of money...).

Username: Dvdphile

Seattle, WA USA

From a DLP owner...

I bought a Mits 62725 (62" DLP rear projection) TV last saturday. It's been a week and I'm going in tomorrow to look at plasma or LCD flat panel or maybe even CRT rear projection.

My main issues are:
1) first and foremost, the main reason, is that the bulb fan is intolerable. Maybe I'm too sensitive, whatever. For the price I can't abide it.

2) I watch mainly DVDs and syndicated sit-coms. Sure I purchased an upconverting 10891 DVD player, but I still see pixelation from my DVDs (to a nasty degree in a few cases) and my crap sit-coms will never, no matter how much they increase the broadcast signal, be native HD. Have you watched news in HD and seen them switch to a non HD recorded clip? Same thing.

3) The set takes almost a full minute to power up and nearly 5 seconds to change channels. Consider a channel surfer such as myself. How much of your life would be wasted after, say, 10 years of waiting 5 seconds to switch channels?

4) The glare is annoying. Yes, I knew it was there. I could tolerate it if that was the only issue, but it's not.

5) Someone mentioned buyer's remorse. Here it is in spades. If I didn't spend nearly $5k (after tax, service agreement, nickels, dimes, etc) on the set then I wouldn't have such high standards for it. You have to live with what you buy. If you pay less then you can be satisified with less. If you pay more then you expect perfection. The door swings both ways.

I'll probably go EDTV plasma for now (I'll tell you after I shop this weekend) and in 5 years (or whenever the world buys into the HD thing full on) buy a good HD set for half of what a "good" one costs now. The technology is young, consider the advances that will happen in the next 5-10 years. You won't want to be using the same set you're buying today when all is said and done -- but you might not want to buy another yet because of the $$ you spent on it. Don't tie yourself into a budding technology.

All of this is, of course, my opinion, which may change in an hour or so. Take it for what it is ;o)

cl

P.s. This is cool :o) http://www.plasmawindow.com/aquariumdvd

Unregistered guest
I want to upgrade my cable or get DISHTV with digital High Defintion options. My TV is 4 years old, a SONY WEGA Flat Screen 36". What is my best bet -- A true digital HDTV or digital EDTV? We watch a lot of TV but not sports. We also like to watch DVDs. Either way, I can stay within the 36" to 42" screen size as we sit no more than 8-12 feet from the screen. Also, for my viewing habits, is a projection screen, Plasma, or LCD better or doesn't it matter?

Anonymous

Nothing will give you a better picture than a CRT based display. Either a direct one or a rear projection CRT.
LCDs will NOT give you true blacks and depending on the size of the screen and resolution of the panels (and how close to the screen you will be) screen door MAY be an issue.
DLPs have better blacks but still not au par with CRTs. Screendoor still exists although much smaller than LCDs. The main issue with DLPs is the eyestrain some people get (not to mention terrible headaches) thanks to the spinning wheel that basically creates the color on any DLP device. And the rainbow effect is another annoying and show stopper for many people.
If you will basically watch stuff (HDTV cable/satellite and DVDs) and you will not be playing computer games, giving the current prices of rear projection TVs I would go for one.
LCDs will get MUCH better in the next 12 months, the same for DLPs. For their current price, they are NOT worth at all IMHO.

Merlin_AU
Unregistered guest
Ultimately the HDTV Vs EDTV comes down to preference and what your viewing sources will be from. A person mainly using DVD sources with some HD broadcast and regular TV might be better off with the EDTV.
Also one thing to note is that apparently broadcast stations convert a SD signal to HD so the quality at the end of the day isnt quite there yet.
Also a HDTV will upconvert ED signals to display it on its display which in the processing can lose image quality but as the ED signal is native to the ED display its an even meshing process. (I might be slightly off the 8 ball on this info)
Importantly the best test is the eyeball test. You make up your own mind by seeing the quality as compared to others. It should be taken into consideration that some top end EDTV displays will look better than some other HDTV displays as it doesnt only boil down to native resolution but contrast ratios, colour richness, colour depth, plasma display quality etc add to the equation.
I have seen EDTV using HD-STB side by side with other HDTV and the difference is minimal and at a glance not noticable.
It has been said that if you sit more than 3 times the width of the plasma that you wont notice the benefit of the extra pixels, so thats a further consideration to take note of.
Lastly the image quality difference between the two has been said to be about 10-15% better for HD although ED is 4 times better than SD and HD 8 times better.
I dont profess that my information is exact and ultimately accurate, however ive been researching plasmas now for a while and have read loads of info all over the world and discussed it with so called industry experts.
I would love to hear any comments from anyone else about this, either confirming or setting some points straight.
Cheers :-)

Post Number: 8
Merlin, you might be right. Our eyes might not be able to see the difference.
But our brain would know that we didn't get the best picture while we could with the same amount of money. In my case, if I had to spend 3 grand on a TV, I'd want to get the most quality out of it.

Within a certain price range, I myself was battling between 42" plasma EDTV or 55" LCD HDTV.
From the brand name, the design, how it would fit my furniture, how it would look on the wall, the reliability, the longevity, pros and cons of each model etc.
Later on, I knew the fact that between the 2 models, EDTV only has 60% of the resolutions. Then I made the decision to take the LCD right away. And it turned out to be perfect, and most importantly, my wife is happy. But what always brings peace on my mind is knowing that the certain amount of money out of my pocket is very well spent to get the best HD format possible. This way I don't have to ask myself "what if.."
By the way, PBSHD and inDemand HD (from Comcast) are simply breathtaking.

Another peace of mind about the LCD is the burn-in factor. It might be thousands of hours before your plasma shows the burn-in effect. But again, on the back of your mind you'd always know that you're using up the hours (this might be slightly off the topic, but I'm assuming that the battle between EDTV and HDTV goes down to plasma vs other format as well).

Again, to me it's not about the ability of my eyes whether they can see the difference or not, but the awareness that my money is very well spent on the best picture quality possible.
:-)

Anonymous

EDTV is a stopgap technology allowing Best Buy among others to conduct bogus "comparison" tests which usually use 480p sourced signals (i.e DVD digital qaulity) - comparing an EDTV (max 480p) versus an HDTV (either 720p or 1080i). Of course they will look the same on THAT rigged test, they both show an optimized 480p signal

Then the salesman can sell the Plasma and the overpriced warranty (where the real profit is)to a person who probably couldn't have afforded a true HDTV plasma

In fact there is a HUGE difference between 480p and 720p/1080i. For example, one only need compare a SOPRANO DVD to a hi def HDTV presesentation of THE SOPRANOS running this week on HBO Hi Def channel - and compare both on a true HDTV set

In 2005, HD-DVD is arriving and an EDTV will be even further behind the curve

Bronze Member
Username: Nbk13nw

Newport News, Virginia USA

Post Number: 13
So wrong...

Anonymous

My boyfriend just bought a EDTV Panasonic 42" plasma. We come to find out today his building does not support HDTV cable. Will the quality of the picture(Cable) be worse then on a regular analog TV? Should he return the tv and wait till his building has HDTV Cable?

Anonymous

i just bought a 42 maxent plamsa wisescreen i got a dvr from comcast. it will pick up the HD channels and they look good but when you go back to regular tv the picture looks like crap is there anything i can do to fix that?

Broken Link
Unregistered guest
I just got a 42 in JVC Plasma EDTV and My question is years from now when more tv shows are boradcast in HDTV can I upgrade my Tivo to the HD one and still use my EDTV??? do they make converter boxes of some sort.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Even if there was a converter, I don't think it would help. No matter what, EDTV will not be able to display 720p/1080i HD. That's why it's called ED, not HD. Of course you can still use your EDTV, but don't expect to see HD quality. It's like watching a DVD movie on a B+W TV.. yes you can watch it, but no matter how sophisticated the DVD player was, still the picture coming out from the TV would be in black and white.

Broken Link
Unregistered guest
so even if I wanted to upgrade my Tivo to HD Tivo it wouldnt matter. I would still get the same picture. I was just wonderning because on the back of my TV I still have a computer looking slot that says Digital In with red and with hook ups next to it.

Broken Link
Unregistered guest
It says in my book that by inputting a high bandwidth digital content protection high definition picture source to the digital-in terminal of this television, high-definition pictures can be displayed on the screen in their digital form. This terminal is for use in the future when high bandwidth digital content protection dtv decoders and dvd players and d_vhs are put on the market

It goes on to say that it can only be used for 1080i, 720p and 480p picture signals.

but if i can display it why put it on there??

Broken Link
Unregistered guest
It says in my book that by inputting a high bandwidth digital content protection high definition picture source to the digital-in terminal of this television, high-definition pictures can be displayed on the screen in their digital form. This terminal is for use in the future when high bandwidth digital content protection dtv decoders and dvd players and d_vhs are put on the market

It goes on to say that it can only be used for 1080i, 720p and 480p picture signals.

but if i can't display it why put it on there??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I don't know the exact answer to that. But for sure I do know that EDTV native resolution is 852 x 480 (hence 480p). HDTV native resolution is 1024 x 768 at least, depending on the size of the screen.
The digital-in terminal on your TV can be used for 1080i, 720p and 480p, thats true. Maybe it's to anticipate the future where you can only find 720p dvd players on the market and nothing less. This way you can still use your EDTV because the sophisticated digital-in terminal is already available on the back of your TV.
Maybe it's to anticipate the future where all TV programs are in 720p resolution.

But, whether the screen of your TV will display 720p or 1080i is a different story. ED screen will display 480p no matter what, even though the source is 720p or 1080i.

And I have to agree with one of the comments above, that if you just use your TV to watch DVDs, then EDTV is good FOR NOW. Because all DVD movies these days are 480p. No need to buy HDTV.
But.. if you also use your TV to watch HD broadcast, then there's a huge difference between 720p broadcast quality and 480p dvd quality. I compared Lord of the Rings DVD versus Lord of the Rings HD broadcast on Starz. Considerable considerable difference.
Another thing, Blue-ray DVD and HD-DVD are coming. Now those are the true 720p DVD.
Can't wait.

Broken Link
Unregistered guest
So i cant even watch the new dvds comming out in true from????!!!! then why are they even making the tvs if they will be ruled out in a year or 2. and if the digital in makes it look just like dvds now. I mean if i watch a dvd now and then buy it again in blue ray since i dont have the HD it will look the same??? That sucks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Why ? :-) I believe because it's business, and profit, and market opportunity. People have different reasons to buy TV. Some just use it to jazz up their office lobby.
Some are fighting with their living room space and don't watch TV that often but want to make it elegant without costing too much. The solution ? Plasma EDTV.
Some use it for their bedroom.. it's simple, space saving and you don't need the HD quality.
In my case, I bought a 55" HDTV for my family room where people sit about 15-16' away from the TV. I have a 6yr old daughter and she watches programs that she wouldn't watch before. Even programs like ballet and opera.. because the picture is just breathtaking. Now she also watches programs about animal, National-Geographic-like, and about space or different places in the world. Comcast do provide those kind of channels in HD. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy watching 480p DVD on my TV and I still think the picture quality is good. But let me put it this way.. watching 480p makes me smile because I really enjoy seeing it. But watching 720p makes my jaw drops. Again, it depends on your preference. Each individual is different.

And regarding your comment about watching blue-ray on EDTV, yes I believe that's the case. I could be slightly wrong, but after a year of studying and reading articles about HDTV, I couldn't be off too far. I hope.

Broken Link
Unregistered guest
Then my question to you is what is going to happen to the billion that have neiter HD or ED tvs. will blue ray or HD dvd start out just like DVDs did costing a huge amount of money and if they come out it 2007 normal people wont have them untill years later.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Then maybe it will evolve. Maybe they will invent a dvd player capable of playing both versions (blue ray and HD-DVD), or maybe they will invent another system that is compatible to regular TVs and regular DVD players. Right now there is a "war" between blue-ray (backed by Sony, MGM, 20th Century Fox, Disney) and HD-DVD (backed by Warner, Paramount, Universal, and New Line Cinemas). But im sure they will come up with something that is quite universal. Or this could be another Beta vs VHS war decades ago.
I'm not sure on whats gonna happen, there are plenty of websites discussing about this topics. Home entertainment business is too big to be compromised. But either invention they come up with, most likely my TV will be ready to adapt. Based on your comments, if I were you, I'd study the possibility of returning your TV, and get the HD. If you are concerned about the price, get the LCD or DLP, they are comparable in price with plasma ED. But do your homework. Study and find out the plus and minus and what model to buy. If you have to have plasma, save up some money and be patient. If you're not concerned about the price, then it's great.

Broken Link
Unregistered guest
I got my tv last year and by the time the dvd stuff happens i will be ready to upgrade any way so that is not a problem. At the time i was not ready to drop money on something that I wont use for a long time and that i would want to up grade any way. Thanks guys

Anonymous

NATIVE RESOLUTION is basically the number you need to look at. EDTV is native 480P. HDTV is native 720p (or native 1080i). The terms "upscale" and "is compatible with" really have little real meaning

Best to think of EDTV as an optimized DVD display unit, as it can do this as well as any other TV. The problem is: is that current generation dvd is not hi def, nor can an EDTV play broadcast television/cable hi def in optimized HD form

When Toshiba introduces its new HD-DVD player in fall 2005 along with HD discs, a native 720p (or 1080i) TV will have a huge advantage

EDTV is a stopgap technolgy, it won't last much longer

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Yup. My dvd player even has a setting to play movies in 1024p. Now this doesn't mean anything because the technology doesn't exist yet so to speak. Nothing shows up on my tv. But what it tells me that soon we'll have the ability to watch movies at home even better than HD. I don't know what kind of catchy term they'll come up with for 1024p. UHD ?

Username: Amcthrasher

Ok, I have read almost every post on HD vs EDTV. I am feeling pretty good about purchasing a Zenith 42" plasma (only $1700), 1:5000 (I heard was great)ratio. But what I have not been able to figure out (I do not have the TV yet) is what will I need from my cable service provider so that I can get the best picture that this set has to offer? I already have digital cable, and I know it is not an HDTV, but will the HD cable box give any advantages over the digital box? Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Tom,
I have a feeling the answer would be yes. I could be wrong, but these are the reasons. Only HD cable box allows you to watch 16:9 programs.
Reason number 2: even though your tv is ED, you'd still want to watch programs from 720p source instead of "regular" source. Again I'm not really sure about this, but I have a strong feeling.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
HD Cable makes a great deal of visual difference. Not only that but most HD braodcasts are in Dolby Digital as well. My current company (Cox Cable) has about 10 HD channels available. Most of them are in 16:9 format while a few are 4:3. You will find the picture is breathtaking compared to standard cable signals.

Anonymous

HD cable with HDTV makes a great deal of difference. However EDTV innately is unable to reproduce the same level of ultra sharp pictures, despite the claims of its apologists.

Anonymous

No one is arguing that EDTV has a better picture than HDTV. I think that we all understand that HDTV has the "Sharper" picture, but to be honest with you, I am not willing to pay that much for HDTV, especially when you take an HD and an ED, set them next to each other, display the same images on them, and the difference is barely noticable unless you are sitting 2 feet from the set, and I do not know about you, but I will be sitting abit 6 to 8 ft away, hardly a noticable difference at that distance.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Agreed, by the time HD technology is affordable (I use the word lightly LOL) I will move mine into the bedroom and purchase another set for the main room.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Yup. Everyone has their own reason to buy. This forum's job is to provide us with as much information as possible, before we make a decission. In the end, it depends on our personal preferences. There's a lot of personal factors involved when buying this not so affordable piece of electronic equipment.

Anonymous

the alleged EDTV vs HDTV "comparison test" done in certain retail outlets is nearly always a rigged test using 480p sourced material (i.e dvd quality)

of course they look the same, both 480p, nothing surprising about that

however the salesman gets his sale and they sell the overpriced warranty to make the big profit, selling to someone that simply didn't have the funds to buy an actual 720p true HDTV plasma, and would not have bought otherwise

everything is moot now anyways, Walmart will be selling 42 inch true HD plasmas in the low 2k range, basically Chinese made sets under the Vizio label or something else. Sam's Club has these already

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I have to say that I have seen a 1080i signal to both and find that although the "true" HD tv is nice it is not 2K worth of nice to me. When the price drops to a reasonable level then I will buy another.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
If you think about it, these TVs are so damn expensive. I bought mine online and saved about $900. The TV arrived just fine, worked perfectly and no problems. After this wonderful experience, why would I want to buy it at a local store.
So far this was the biggest purchase I have ever done on the net.

Unregistered guest
Regarding the analog channels looking like crap.
You can switch from cable to satellite where all channels are digital. I had a friend who did that and swears by it. Being too cheap to pay $5 a month to cable companies for HDTV or pay per view for same, I plan to switch to sattelite when I make my purchase in the near future. Also JVC on their DLP type unit, uses three chips instead of one chip and awheel, eliminating the rainbow affect. I'm not sure how that effects the headaches. There are those thousands of little mirrors reflecting light.
Personally, I'm waiting for the new models and price reductions before I make up my mind.

anonon
Unregistered guest
when you consider all the $$ one has to plunk down to access HDTV's full potential (i.e. HDTV monitor, HDTV tuner, HD cable or satellite feed and equipment, DVD players w/ HD upconversion, HD TIVO, surround sound audio receiver, 5.1 speakers, etc.), it's no wonder that people are buying EDTV!

in most cases, people are upgrading their TVs for three reasons... they want a more space efficient unit, they want a bigger screen, and/or they want some improvement in picture quality. a plasma or LCD EDTV does all of that.

now as for EDTV vs. HDTV, for me, the value of EDTV is that there's no more freakin' horizontal lines on my TV! so what if the resolution is the same... what EDTV does is provide a smooth picture, where as with regular TV (480i) your basically looking at at the picture through window blinds. and you get that without having to buy any additional equipment and or services.

until HDTV is affordable, IMO it's for people w/ six figure salaries or suckers who just want to impress.

EDTVFANTASTIC
Unregistered guest
I bought the Panasonic 42" Plasma ED TV. Installed a Comcast Cable Card and this baby is beautiful on JD, SD and Analog. I have absolutely no complaints and I saved myself over 2K compared to buying the same TV with HD resolution.

I defy most neo-phytes to tell the difference between this monitor & true HD monitor when viewing HD channels.

TPE
Unregistered guest
Aw the mis understanding of ed vs hd! You must understand that most of you are buying these plasmas and LCD's for the first time..which means youve had the old 480i CRT's. Think of it as having sight problems, you get new glasses, and the world is much better and clearer...it doesnt get any better...? The key is to get the picture as seamless as possible (thus more pixels), hence HD...not digital (very different signals). If a source sends out a signal in 720p and you only have 480p ED (highest ED you can get) because you didnt want to spend the money, fine but it will not be able to show the definition of the HD as it is not physically possible. The fact is in a few years all signals will be HD and your TV's will have to take the signal and degrade it to show the picture...your dollar. I agree that HDTV equipment is overpriced and will come down, but on the flip side why buy something that you know is obsolete at point of purchase...dont fool yourself into thinking that a salesman has more points on a HDTV vs ED or visa versa...its all the same $$. As far as ST buying a plasma online...glad it worked well, but you ask why buy local?!? How about the main point of service...is your dot com supplier going to answer your call before the football game when you have a problem?? How about warranty....buy a panasonic, need warranty- you call them and deal with them (think they care??? You can riot about a problem and no one would care...but a local store will have to be more sensitve to a issue). Most quality vendors like Marantz do not sell on line (I know you saw it online), its one of (2) things - 1. Referbished (B or D stock items, dent and scratch) units or 2. non authorized sale, result may be good product but no warranty. Take your chances but in most cases it ends up being a issue of spending $2 to save $1. At the very least what about supporting your local companies... This is a small list of reasons, go back and put a $$ value on each, how much did you save??? These TV's represent performance with application, why treat it like auto insurance!?

EDTVFANTASTIC
Unregistered guest
TPE,

True Hi Def Broadcasting is limited and will be through the end of this decade. Why over invest in 1024 when 720p may be the standard? Hi Def broadcasting has not decided on a standard yet.

I went with ED because of limited HD broadcasting, no definited HD broadcast standard going forward & the odds being that my Plasma TV will be replaced by the end of this decade.

Digital signals are being compressed by providers at various rates, the HD TV is no better/worse at downscaling than the ED is at upscaling. As you stated in your own post, going from low res CRT to digital impresses us neophytes so why not buy what you are impressed with? So unless you have money to burn, why spend almost 50% more for HD?

Anonymous

in the United States at least HD broadcasting is certainly not limited, I assume you must be talking about UK or something else

9 in 10 times when people wall hang plasma units their viewing distance will end up way too far to see all the detail of true HD, and that is the only reason why ED and HD might nominally appear to look the same to some viewers, even when being fed a true HD signal. HD requires 1.0 to 1.3 x screen diagonal maximum viewing distance to actually take in all the detail of true HD.

Only true HDTVs (720p/1080i) will be able to optimally show the new HD-DVD standard due to arrive in Fall 2005

As for prices, Walmart soon and Sam's Club currently are selling excellent 42 inch true HD plasmas in the low 2000 range

EDTVs are good (current technology) DVD display units and certainly look way better than regular TV on broadcast, however the ED standard will soon be disappearing

Unregistered guest
There is a good discussion/explanation of EDTV and HDTV at:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/hdtv_edtv.htm

I have been in business designing and building high-end audio/video cabinetry for 20 years, and I have seen all kinds of TV monitors/receivers and a/v equipment. Every system is different; do not expect to bring it home, plug it in and get a great picture in 3 or 4 days. Read and research as much as you can. If necessary, consult or hire a technician or experienced installer who is not selling equipment or cables.

I did my homework and bought a Samsung SP-4251 (EDTV) Plasma, and I am VERY happy with it. However, I was NOT satisfied after 3 or 4 days. I talked to an experienced installer. The biggest immediate improvement came when I traded in my up-to-date digital cable box for a HiDef cable box ($7 more a month), and hooked up the video component cables directly to the Plasma. I connected the audio to my A/V receiver for 5.1 surround. The HiDef channels (especially INHD and INHD2) are awesome!

I considered the Samsung DLP HLP-4663 (HDTV) after seeing it at a customer's house, but decided against it because of the limited viewing angle. I also considered a 35", 36" or 40" Sony Wega or Toshiba CRT, but, after looking, knew I didn't want a 200-300 lb. behemoth. The Sony 40" (which I think is no longer made) weighs 279 lbs. and measures almost 27" deep. All of these can provide an excellent picture if they are installed properly, and any of them could be best for you. Even technicians disagree on what is best. Some prefer plasma, some DLP, some LCD, and others the CRT. In a few years (or months, even), new technologies will leap ahead of today's choices.

Don't spend thousands on a TV and audio/video components and expect them to all come together in a few hours or a weekend. They might, but odds are against it. Don't expect an optimum picture from Best Buy, Circuit City, Tweeter or Al's TV, even if you pay them $200 to deliver and install it, unless they send an experienced installer (highly unlikely). Pay the $39 for delivery, and get someone knowledgeable to install it or help you. You can waste a lot more money on things that you don't need if you go into it blindly (hundreds of dollars worth of cables, wires and connectors, for instance).

Today's components (including HiDef cable boxes, TV monitors/receivers, A/V receivers and other equipment) usually need to be programmed and tweaked for optimum picture and sound. They can drive you crazy and confound even experienced technicians.

Yes, screen burn-in can be a problem with plasma display panels, but should not be if you follow the guidelines. My plasma has a 50,000-hour warranty on the display panel, except, of course, burn-in. I expect to get many good years of service from my Samsung Plasma.

EDTV is not a scam. Like all technologies, it has limitations, but it can provide an excellent, satisfying experience from cable, satellite or DVD. If you MUST have the best available, then HDTV, but don't expect instant perfect results, even if you've spent thousands of dollars on your system.

freeposter
Unregistered guest
Anon, I disagree with your take on Hi Def broadcasting. There are only a few shows on each night during prime time that are broadcast in true hi def. There are a few sporting events broadcast in true HD.

The cable companies HD stations basically are broadcasting the same shows over and over again. Travelogue/Nature shows.

Eventually (not in 2005) HD will overtake analog broadcasting. I think it will be at least the end of the decade before HD is the main broadcast signal.

Are you confusing HD with SD?

freeposter
Unregistered guest
Anon, I disagree with your take on Hi Def broadcasting. There are only a few shows on each night during prime time that are broadcast in true hi def. There are a few sporting events broadcast in true HD.

The cable companies HD stations basically are broadcasting the same shows over and over again. Travelogue/Nature shows.

Eventually (not in 2005) HD will overtake analog broadcasting. I think it will be at least the end of the decade before HD is the main broadcast signal.

Are you confusing HD with SD?

Anonymous

a few sporting events? you got to be kidding. Forget about SD I am talking 720p/1080i hi def, its all over the place now

Comcast cable offers 13 hi def channels along with a Motorola hi def (duel tuner)DVR which can record via hard drive perfect hi def copies for later playback.

VOOM offers 30 hi def channels currently, and Echostar which is buying Voom will at least be using part of Voom's advanced hi def satellite to add to their lineup

DirectTV has plans to add many more hi def channels

HD-DVD discs s/b out by summer, and these will be duel purpose which can play both regular DVDs and hi def DVDs on players due in fall 2005

on my mega screen 92" there is a huge difference between 480p and 720p/1080i

freeposter
Unregistered guest
Hi Def Channels do not equate to Hi Def Broadcasting. Your ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC have one or two shows per night that are true HD. The great majority of sporting events are not being broadcast in HD yet.

Anonymous

WHAT PLANET ARE YOU ON?

I run 2 different HDTV's. I have owned a hi def CRT TV for 3 yrs, my second HDTV is a 92" screen AE700U front projector, I know exactly what is an what isn't HDTV.

Sure not all sporting events are hi def, however among the minor sports even recently the list includes: the WORLD SERIES, SUPERBOWL, MASTERS GOLF TOURNAMENT, OLYMPICS and dozens of other sporting events including an entire season of MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL (to name but a few) were broadcast in TRUE HI DEF

The OSCAR AWARDS for several yrs have been broadcast in ultra-sharp hi def, THE EMMY'S LAST WEEK and many more non-sporting event event shows

Apparently you are not dealing with reality, because TRUE hi def is quite plentiful in the United States, because I see it routinely including dozens of Hollywood movies, including some older movies that look better than they looked in the theater

So what if some networks don't always broadcast true hi def 720p/1080i, that doesn't change the basic reality that Hi def is very common now

Not surprisingly you failed to address the simple fact that Toshiba will soon be introducing HD-DVD to the world.

I suppose HD-DVD will not be "true" hi def either?

PLEASE DON'T TELL ME AGAIN I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS AND WHAT ISN'T HI DEF

freeposter
Unregistered guest
Well, if we add up all those shows you've listed we may have 2% of the annual broadcasts in the U.S. Oscars one 3 hour segment per year. Masters (only HD on Saturday & Sunday) 10 hours per year. Monday Night football 50 hours per year.

You are truly grasping at straws if you are trying to defend a position that HD TV is mainstream broadcasting. I don't disagree that it will eventually get there, but it will be another 5 years at least.

freeposter
Unregistered guest
I do recall this question being asked previously, why isn't "Survivor" in HD? The answer I read, from someone associated with TV production, is that HD cameras are far too fragile right now to withstand the rigors of a typical "Survivor" production. Think of all the rain and heat you see in one series, then multiply that by the fact that the show takes place in very out-of-the-way locations, where technical help is likely weeks away.

IOW, wait for the technology to catch up.

From the "Survivor" message board. CBS #1 Reality Show is not filmed in HD and may never be. People do not realize how much updated equipment will have to be bought before HD will be anywhere near the standard in the broadcast industry.

Anonymous

YOU MUST BE IN A TIME WARP, my guess somehow you are back circa yr 2002 because THAT was the year we got our first (smaller) HD set and its true during that time, there were few HD shows, basically over the air random things, hit or miss PBS shows, limited network broadcasts, no cable hi def etc

However, that has all changed and HI DEFINITION not only looks fanstastic (almost like being there), there is a huge lineup of shows

Who cares if Survivor is not in Hi Def, as there are so many other shows, movies, and events including sports to pick from

You have got to move forward to the year 2005

Username: Andre27

CJ Field, it was helpful to read your post. I just got the same 42" Samsung EDTV earlier this week and, basically, don't know what to do.

This is my first experience with anything other than your standard tube TV. I had high expectations and so far has been disappointed. The picture on my regular Direct TV channels is crap, pure and simple. It's grainy, there's a significant motion blur and crazy banding/dithering effects. Even my DVD picture is less than what I hoped for.
I'm beginning to think I made a mistake. I'm not sure whether to try my luck with another TV or try to tinker with this one. What do ya think?

Anonymous

EDTV technology is an inferior technology that thankfully will be gone soon

Anonymous

Once Walmart starts dumping bargain priced true 720p HD plasma sets on the market, ED televisions will begin to fade from the scene

ED's at 480p simply muddle the debate up and confuse the public.

Anonymous

EDTV..along with these "LCD progjection" TVs - which arent true LCD Tvs only confuse the public and cause problems with finding a truely high quality and performing product.

As soon as HDTV sets come into a reasonable price range and the technology is actually there for larger true LCD tvs (no trail behind tennisballs..etc) and Plasmas (not breaking or fading after 2years) There is no point in even buying a high-priced "top of the line" tv now.

Besides as real Picturequality technology informed people know...you wont get a better picture out of anything except a CRT based TV.

Which is why IMO the best TV out there is the older Sony 40" CRT or the newer Sony 36" HDTV CRT. Yes they weigh a ton...but lets face it..sometimes higher quality means more weight. Theres only one way to make things lighter and thats cheapen them out. And how many times a year do you really move youre TV anyway?? Seriously?

Bronze Member
Username: Hampersnow

Post Number: 20
after months of considering a 52 OR 62 inch Toshiba DLP ,i brought my Progressive scan DVD player and Component cables to BB. i also took the same setup to CC and auditioned a Samsung DLP. because of finding both disappointing (lack of detail and focus as opposed to my 35 inch CRT) i am now considering an EDTV PLASMA. from what i have read here ,it seems that NOT upconverting the signal will give me a better picture. any suggestions would be appreciated as DVD viewing is 80% of why i watch TV.what IS the best TV if you want a large screen but DVD is your main source ?

anonon
Unregistered guest
Honestly the people who continue to knock EDTV are missing the big picture.

1) EDTV is a substantial improvement in picture quality over SDTV.
2) EDTV allows widescreen 16:9 viewing.
3) EDTV is arguably more compatible w/ the majority of SDTV programming out there, since it doesn't have to upconvert to a different resolution (i.e. 480p -> 720p or 1080i).
4) EDTV is cheaper than HDTV.

EDTV is NOT a stop gap technology. It's like upgrading from a Ford Focus to a Ford 500, while HDTV steps you up to the Ford GT

Guess how many people can afford the 500 and guess how many can afford the GTO?

Anonymous

5) EDTV is not HI DEFINITION

anonon
Unregistered guest
6) And you are an idiot.

Is it worth continuing to explain this?... OK ok, EDTV is "inferior" to HDTV. I agree. Still, EDTV provides a significant improvment over SDTV, and that's the benchmark I'm using for comparison.

Sh:t some people on this board are seriously retarded I swear...

freeposter
Unregistered guest
Sounds like anonymous doth protest too much. Did he overpay for his HD TV? Has he actually done a side by side comparison with an ED tV and found that the ED TV actually looked far superior to the eye than the HD TV? He really has a bug up his but about ED, much like a woman scorned, he can't let it go.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
7) Too freakin funny!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
8) This has been very entertaining. Please continue the numbers.

Anonymous

(9) soon EDTVs will be optimally utilized as trendy large doorstoppers, giant paperweights, and ballast for ships bringing in true high definition HD-DVD units from Japan in late 2005

anonon
Unregistered guest
10) did you know that in america there are 13 million households w/ HDTV, but that only 1/2 of them subscribe to HDTV service? now that's an interesting stat... no wonder VOOM is hundreds of millions of dollars in debt. i would be too if I'd invested in HDTV.

jokinaround
Unregistered guest
11) I heard comcast is not going to charge EDTV owners for the HD signal cause the line backsurge can be recycled by comcast. Comcast may actually start paying EDTV owners for the digits that they can recycle.

anonohaha
Unregistered guest
12) I heard HDTV gives little guys a bigger wiener

Bubbalouie
Unregistered guest
Very simple question for my buying decision. If the EDTVs available are widescreen, there will be horizontal bars for standard broadcasts surely, but what about HDTV broadcasts? In summary, will you have to "stretch" the picture to fit the screen in all cases?

Thanks

EDTVMUISEXY
Unregistered guest
Your ED TV will aspect just like a HD TV. Your HD broadcasts will be full screen automatically. Your SD and analog broadcasts can be stretched if required.

Postrider
Unregistered guest
I have recently (3/05) read several seemingly solid sources that note that plasma screens less than 50" can not handle true HDTV.

I started out to get only HDTV but after comparison viewing several EDTV's with HDTV's using the same video source I honestly can not tell much difference if any at all when viewed from around 8' or so (both looked great on the good brand name sets). Also standard analog TV (which is the basis of virtually all TV programming the last 50 years until recently) tended to look better on the EDTV set.

As long as EDTV;s are significantly less than HDTV's and the difference in the resoluton from a standard viewing distance is so small my guess is that they will be around a long time.

Postrider
Unregistered guest
I have recently (3/05) read several seemingly solid sources that note that plasma screens less than 50" can not handle true HDTV.

I started out to get only HDTV but after comparison viewing several EDTV's with HDTV's using the same video source I honestly can not tell much difference if any at all when viewed from around 8' or so (both looked great on the good brand name sets). Also standard analog TV (which is the basis of virtually all TV programming the last 50 years until recently) tended to look better on the EDTV set.

As long as EDTV;s are significantly less than HDTV's and the difference in the resoluton from a standard viewing distance is so small my guess is that they will be around a long time.

Unregistered guest
I've been studying the HD and ED question and I know that HD "should" be better, but I'm amazed that a couple ED's actually look crisper, snappier and certainly provide better contrast. I bought a 42 plasma HD but could change it for a Pan.42 ED. I'm struggling...

From what I can tell:
1. DVDs look the same on either.
2. Non-HD programs are actually BETTER on ED than on HD.
3. HD-broadcast programs from 10 feet look about the same on either.
4. ED has that better black range and crispy look.

Wick is Right
Unregistered guest
Wick, You nailed it on the head. ED is a easy choice in my opinion

danko
Unregistered guest
I just bought a zenith 42' plasma edtv and can't stop screwing around with the picture settings to achieve the best clarity, resolution etc.... what settings are my best bet?? HELP?!?!!

rlbivs
Unregistered guest
From one of Anonymous' last posts he talked about how he sees the difference of 480p versus 720p on his 92 inch front projector screen.

Well, duuuuh!

I think that he forgot that this is the Plasma forum and thus most people here would be talking about a 37, 42 or 50 inch TV and as the size of the TV gets smaller the resolution of the image has less of an impact.

Amazing. All of that wasted time and bandwidth and he is taking about a scenario completely differnt from what all the rest of us are discussing.

Unregistered guest
Stupid question: I have read ALL these posts trying to learn a thing or two, but all this is much too sophisticated for my dilemma. My 27" analog died, I need a new one, but am concerned with money (don't have much) and this HD conversion we're supposed to go through in 2007(?). Do I buy another analog, throw my money away and rebuy in a couple of years (I only need one TV), or do I buy an HD flat screen now? When the signal is switched, will an analog TV be able to pick up the signal? I thought the major channels were broadcasting HD now, and I can watch those, obviously. I can't afford cable again until 2008, when my husband graduates, so that signal can't help me. I don't know what this enhanced definition is, none of the tvs at the store have that designation on the tags; it's either HD or not. God, help.

Unregistered guest
Fellas, Help!

I've been to four major retailers and two local ones in the last month looking at EDTVs & HDTVs. Based on online research, was really hyped about the line of Pannie EDTVs and found a 42' for about $2500.

Just when I thought my search was over, salesperson shows me a Pannie 50' projection TV with DLP---for about $200 less than the 42' EDTV. Further, he shows me a 50 plus' projection Mits for about $2100: Both lager TVs look nearly as good as the EDTV (difference is noticable, but not dramtically so) but for less money.

Sparing you all the details, I would like to solicit the (expert??) opinion of other posters: All things considered, what really is the best buy?

My budget is $2500 for a TV. But if I can spend $2000 on a very good projection DLP, I can add another $200 or $300 and get a really nice 20' plasma or LCD for my guest bedroom.

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
Forget DLPs, you'll be a lamp slave for the rest of the TVs life. The lifespan of these light bulds is very short, between 2,000 and 6,000 hours. Their cost varies between $350.00 up to $500.00 depending on the brand.

Panasonic TH-42PD50U is this year's entry level low resolution plasma with an HDMi-HDCP input, i've seen it in a side-by-side comparision with the high resolution TH-42PX50U and you can barely notice the difference.

The PD50U can receive digital broadcast but will not be able to display them at 720p or 1080i, only at 480p which is the same as a DVD. That Panasonic is currently been sold for $2,099.00 at most retailers.

If you go with the Panasonic PD50U be sure to check http://www.vanns.com/ they have a bundle pack that includes a flat-on-the-wall bracket in the price and free shipping.

Anonymous

I can buy the Panasonic TH-42PD50U (EDTV) brand new for $1800.00 at a local authorized dealer with factory warranty, most people pay more than that for a Sony 34 inch XBR direct view.

I have gone to several different stores and that EDTV looks better than a lot of regular HDTV plasmas from the big name companies. For that price for the picture it gets I think it is difficult to consider anything else.

HD DVD when it arrives is going to have different formats to be to be supported by different companies so that sounds like it will be messed up anyway.

Anonymous

I currently purchased the Panasonic TH-42PD50U (EDTV)because of the many reviews of great quality. My standard cable (coax)input looks great on the tv however, my satellite input (s-video)looks less impressive. Any thoughts on why my analog cable would look better than the digital satellite signal?

Username: Subhojitpaul

I agree with David123. I have an EDTV and have been highly satisfied with the picture quality specially with DVD and high definiton satellite signal.

Read this article from cnet
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5137915-1.html

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
Anonymous from July, 7th at 3:24PM:

You keep reposting this over and over., post the so-called authorized dealer of this "juicy" offer so everyone interested in that model could also take advantage of that great price.

EDTV or low resolution sets COULD NEVER look better when they are displaying digital signals than a high resolution model. These low resolution sets are excellent for watching DVD movies, and analog broadcast or cable signals, that's what they do best.

Username: Partyatmarios

Post Number: 10
CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHAT THIS IS AND HOW DO I GET IT AND HOW TO USE IT (I highly suggest you to get a copy of DVE or AVIA to properly calibrate the contrast and picture setting. The Tint and color are also calibrated with this tool.) THANKS

Jerry1028
Unregistered guest
If you go with a EDTV i recommend the panasonic th42pwd8uk i just got mine and its great. I think my next one will be a hdtv plasma

JasonDosSantos
Unregistered guest
To Annymous
"I currently purchased the Panasonic TH-42PD50U (EDTV)because of the many reviews of great quality. My standard cable (coax)input looks great on the tv however, my satellite input (s-video)looks less impressive. Any thoughts on why my analog cable would look better than the digital satellite signal?"

S-video on Panasonic plasmas aren't that great. I suggest you use the the component connections.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 651
If you sit very close to the TV you will want true HD. If you sit 8' from a 42" TV you will have to look really hard to notice any appreciable difference. You can clearly see the differnce in pixel size up close. In the store as you move back the pixels dissapear and the images look alike

In four years Put the EDTV in the bedroom or garage and spend what you saved by not buying a full on HD on an upgraded by firu years HD then. Win WIN

joel delpay
Unregistered guest
it is so funny when reading this forum to find out how many people don't know nothing about the difference between EDTV and Plasma, and just make assumption... please read the following then come back and post
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-highdefinition.html

or

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5137915-1.html

Username: Topshelfpro

Gretna, LA

One thing I notice is everybody is kind of wondering how to manipulate the signal coming in from the cable co, seems to me from my dad's new HD, you get what ever the cable co transmits?

My dad just bought the Sony 30" Widescreen HDTV tuner built in CRT, a Beautiful picture no matter what channel is on!!

He subcribes to N.O., La Cox basic cable ~$12.00 12-15 channels, and the extended ~$23.00 which adds higher channels ESPN, FOX NEWS...etc, about 70 total, he does not subcribe to their digital set box, or their HD set top box.

We plugged in the coaxil line from the wall, went to the search Sony menu and scanned for at least an HOUR, we picked up all 70 analog channels basic and extended, then much to our surprise and delight... the tuner proceeded to pick up 300 digital channels that apparently come through the line also.

The channels tell you when you get 480, 720 or 1080 and the 1080 is spectacular!! Don't know if the 480 is (i or p), haven't been over enough. The picture adjust to the format received.

I just went to Sears and saw Panasonic's latest 42" plazmas EDTV 42PD50U and HDTV 42PX50U side by side. They have the same ATSC/QAM/NTSC Tuners Displays, both tv's were using component in from a DVD player. WOW...the pictures were outstanding and the EDTV with the 4000:1 contrast looked a little better because the ghosting against black was eliminated.

Don't know where I'm going with this, but I guess you can only get out what you get in, so I assume if Sears come in with a broadcast like my dad instead of a dvd, we might have seen the differences better and settled the EDTV vs HDTV?

But for my vote, the EDTV for a $1000 less should surfice just find. Just for kicks, does andbody know why the EDTV is only 480p if it has the exact same tuners listed as the HDTV? And if the built in tuners are decoding the signal, why are the HDers out their still using the HD set top boxes from their cable co?

Mark,
Katrina survivor!
Gretna, LA.

Username: Jmhendric

I just purchased the panasonic 42inch plasma EDTV display. I had much debate over the true HD version of this set. I have come to the conclusion that the differance in the resolution is virtualy impossiable to distinguish with the naked eye from about 8ft away. I have no trouble with downconverting the Hd signals to this display didgital or over the air. Unless you sit closer than 8ft to your set I would not spend the money on a true hd set. Not to mention it displays normal digital signals better than a HD display. Who want's to wait 4 years to get the max from your new plasma. This set rocks and in my opinion ranks right up their with a true HD when viewing HD programming. I can't notice the differance after 8ft.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us