Replacing Samsung HLN5065W Engine

Username: Indian81

Post Number: 1
The engine just went on my two year old Samsung. Best Buy wants to charge me $1874.00 to fix it, which is probably more than the TV is worth. I'm very interested in buying an engine and intstalling it myself. Is that a good idea? Can someone who is not a service tech install the engine, or should I pay to have it installed? If anyone has any experience or information on this, I would very much appreciate it.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 729
Those TVs are disposable.The prices are dropping so fast It does not pay to fix them. Obviously repaire is not.

Dump your set. Don't buy another lamp based TV.Lear you lesson. Other should learn as well. Is it wothr taking achance.

The extended warranty would have givin you another two yeas of use. Anytime an extended warranty is HIGHLY recommended (especially on these TVs) You shold not consider making the Television purchase.

If you bought it at Costco, They will exchage or give you a refund.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 265
Do not use BB service.
It's probably not a light engine problem.
Even if it was, you cannot replace it.
Replacement requires extensive calabration with the Digimain.

Consult a "Qualified Samsung Certified Technician" only!

Since when did you feel you were qualified to diagnose DLP televisions?

Since when did you start trusting BB for service?

1-800-SAMSUNG

Prompts 2 then 1 then 3 then 1.

Silver Member

Post Number: 731
You do not have to be qualified to know there is only one basisc part in that Samsung crap. An ancient spinnin motor shining through one of those Christmas type color wheels we all have seen.

Another screwed by Samsun DLP. When will they learn. That comic book picture PQ comes at a steep price and a short life.

Post Number: 3
Lesson learned...sammy DLP blows and always get the warranty, I get it. Now, assuming I'm not going to just throw my set away...what are my options? Sell it as is or buy a light engine off Ebay and install it myself? Both the BB tech and the sammy tech said that installation isn't too complicated, all I need is a screwdriver. Is that accurate?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 270
Absolutely not!
Each light engine has a list of parameters that the Digimain must be rerogrammed to. Otherwise, the light engine will not work properly.

You can listen to whoever you want.
I still don't think it's a light engine problem.

I think your lamp is weak.
I think your color wheel could stand to be replaced.
Those are two things you could try yourself.

http://www.samsungparts.com

Otherwise:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=7752057&search=samsung+h lr5067

Post Number: 4
FYI,

I appreciate your candor. You appear to have expertise in this area and I relly hope that you're correct in that I don't need a new engine, but rather just a new wheel and lamp. If the engine on my set were bad, what would the symptoms be? In other words, how would a tech know that the engine needs replacement versus just the lamp and wheel?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 278
You described a lengthy start-up. (weak lamp)
You described a digital freeze. (Usually signal related)

Other than an intermittant noisy color wheel, you are seeing a picture.

If the light engine craps there wouldn't be a picture. If the DMD chip fails (and there's no record of one ever failing) there would be no picture.

You mentioned a SAMSUNG tech.
Was that a 1-800 SAMSUNG scheduled tech that actually came to your home?
That's the only advice I would trust.

Post Number: 5
There is a lengthy start-up as well as digital freeze. However, the problem that led to my service call was that the picture would turn black after only a few minutes of operation. This began two weeks ago and by yesterday, I couldn't get a picture to stay for longer than a minute or so.

The tech that actually came to my home was from BB, but he spoke at length to a samsung tech while he was here. The BB tech started to take off the back panel, but then stopped once he got on the phone with samsung. They listend to the wheel which is obviously not working properly since we can only hear it working intermittently. Unfortunately, my set couldnt hold the picture long enough for much else. They tried to go into some setting menu (they used the remote to type in a code) but the screen always went black.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 280
There are fail-safe circuits that shut down the set operation for various conditions. The lamp has a shutdown for non-start and high temp. The color wheel has one as well.

A BB tech talking to a Samsung tech on the phone is total crap!

Call 1-800 SAMSUNG and let them schedule a Samsung authorized service tech if you don't want to try the lamp and wheel replacement yourself.

Silver Member

Post Number: 754
Geek patrol comes to your house for $400? EW cost?

Now thats funny stuff. where's Smurf to explain this one. Thats the guy i want messing with my $3000 investment. LOL

Im not sure I would want anyone seeing that Geek Patrol VW in my driveway . Tell him to park down the street next time

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 281
Now that's funny!

Post Number: 6
Geek patrol didn't come...thankfully. He was in a regular truck but with a BB logo on the side. In any case, I'm going to go with FYI's advice.

I turned the TV on today and it worked for about two minutes. The screen showed vertical white lines for a second, then went black. All the while, the color wheel kept going without any problem.

I'm going to buy a lamp and wheel from samsung and try it myself. Will there be installation instructions sent with the parts, or do I need to find a service manual somewhere?

All I want is to fix this TV for a year or so until I can get another one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 763
Hope you learned your lesson regarding lamp based DLP TV.

You have the Millenium's Laser Disc. Wait and see.
When the word gets out of he lamp cost and replacement intervals they are dead.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 301
I would let a real certified tech diagnose it.

However:
A phillips screwdriver is all that's required.
The lamp is simple. The color wheel slides up and down in front of the lamp.
Just make sure you route the two wiring harnesses on the new color wheel in the same mannor as you find them on the old one. You will need to take a ground strap loose to slide the entire engine tray out a little.

Silver Member

Post Number: 769
First you have to FIND a certified tech. Thats the trick. Make sure they don't drive up in the Geek Mobile.

Post Number: 7
I believe you bong. DLP has potential, but the kinks are still there. All I want is to put a band-aid on my TV and use it for another year or so. If youre saying that the lamp only gets 2160 hours or so, thats 432 days of use at 5 hours a day. Plenty of time for me to save up and get something else. I just freaken hope all I need is a lamp and/or wheel.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 304
That was funny!

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1698
Usually Best Buy will ship the unit to an authorized service center or have the service center send a tech out to you. They don't repair anything themselves beyond computers...

Post Number: 8
FYI - Is it normal for the lamp to need replacement without the indicator light coming on?

Silver Member

Post Number: 772
In either case say bye bye to your TV for weeks while you wait for parts.

Yes you should get a year out of the lamp. the 2100 hour estimate seems to be accurate with regard to the tme periods they are blowing on all the brands. between6 months and 2 years. anywhwere from 2 hours to 6 hours a day.

Besides that is the real warranty. 90 days NO MORE. Thats only 2100 hours. what a cash cow they have going with the earlybirds.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 309
Justin,

Anything is possible.
Just do yourself a favor and call 1-800 SAMSUNG.

Bong are you a tech?
Unregistered guest
First post here, but been reading.

Bong are you a tech?
Do you own one of these sets?
Ever worked on one?

If not don't bother to answer.

ENOUGH ALREADY!
Unregistered guest
"first post here, but been reading"

YEAH RIGHT! WE ALL KNOW THAT THAT WAS POSTED BY MR DLP4ME/FYI HIMSELF. DONT YOU REALIZE THAT YOU ARE ONLY ADDING TO BONGS CREDIBILITY BY GARBLING UP THESE THREADS WITH BULLSHIT POSTS??? WE ALL KNOW THAT YOU ARE AN OVER ZEALOUS DLP LOON THAT HAS PROBABLY SEEN TOO MANY RAINBOWS, WHICH CAUSED YOUR OBVIOUS BRAIN DAMAGE. GET A LIFE AND LEAVE OTHERS ALONE THAT DO NOT AGREE WITH YOUR DISTORTED OPINIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE MODERATOR WILL BE NOTIFIED TODAY OF YOUR CONTINUED ACTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 794
Uh oh You are in trouble now FYI.......

Bong are you a tech?
Unregistered guest
So I take it Bong is not a tech.
He does not own one of these sets.
That he has never worked on one?

Silver Member

Post Number: 798
1 Bong is NOT a tech
2 Bong has NEVER nor WOULD HE EVER waste good money chasing after badly spent money
3 Bong has NEVER worked on one nor will he ever have to (see number 2)

Bong does believe all Lamp based TV technology is a waste of money and offers little benefit over RPCRT in todays viewing environment.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 325
Each post is tagged with a date/time stamp and the ip address that originated it. This enables moderators to perform reverse look-ups to determine a poster's identity and/or their ISP. Internet abusers can be reported to their ISP, who can, at their disgression, suspend or terminate the abusers service if they wish.

Our moderator, whom I know well, can see which posts are abusive and who is using multiple unregistered user names. He also knows which registered and unregistered users are helpful and make positive contributions to the forum. He puts up with a lot, but he has his limits too. Some of us are right on the edge. You will know you have gone too far when your posts or whole threads begin to disappear. You will not know if you have been reported to your ISP until you receive a Cease and Desist letter.

While tom bong may be a pest seeking to escalate his post numbers to "Gold Member" status for additional fabricated credibility, he does have an opinion. To think that he will somehow shut up or go away is completely rediculous. Our moderator will not put a muzzle on him, either.
If you don't like what he says, you can comment or ignore.

I happen to believe that DLP lamp projection technology is superior to all fading chemical based displays. I think it's catching on as one of the best large, yet detailed displays available.

I understand consumable lamp technology and feel that strides are being made to lengthen the life and reduce the costs of lamps.

Unlike tom bong, I don't group the Phillips lamp, used with Samsung DLPs, in with Toshiba, RCA, or Panasonic.
I feel that Phillips lamps stand alone as a more reliable product design.

Each time I see tom bong throw a blanket on the whole group and set fire to it, I will call him out on it. He knows that. Dishonest non-objectivity will not stand at the top of this forum as long as I'm breathing.

As for detractors, tom bong has plenty.

Silver Member

Post Number: 803
I have more then are vocal. I can assure you that.
Yes I put all micro displays in the same basket which is actually unfair to SONY and the others that do not use the DLP chip. In fact buy doing this I raise Samsung up! Samsung has had the MOST problems others didn;t

1. Rainbows (still some are seeing them)
2 Latency (still some posters complaining about this
3. Noise from color wheels

Yes in my opinion Samsung and th DLP is in DNILE about the issues over LCD RP...But thelamp trumps the entire bunch. They are barely thinner then RPCRT and need an expensive stand which makes them the same size,

I amcome to be pro flat panel yes. But other then a used 37" 4:3 plasma I bought for $850 I would not spend the thousands for a flat panel now only to see them dropping $500 every six momths. When you can buy a flat panel 50" for $1500 Good bye micro displays excpet fpr the gamers who think burn in is still an issue with modern Plasma technology.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 330
You're getting worse with your typing.
Have you been drinking today?
That last paragraph hurts to look at. hehe

I'm still looking for that Phillips lamp petition thread.

Only the older models had color wheel noise.

I did see (one) audio lag post. Ooooweeeee!

My DLP weighs 72 lbs.
How heavy is that Toshi CRT of yours? hehe

Bob W
Unregistered guest
I just finished installing a color wheel in a Samsung DLP. It took several hours however, there are no special tools are required. the wheel cost $118.00 and the TV works perfectly. No more noise.
If anyone is interested in details,let me know

Unregistered guest
Thank you Bob W. I would like details on how to order and replace (on my own) the color wheel on my noisy Samsung DLP tv. $118 sounds reasonable. Is there a way you could post some instructions? Thanks so much for the help. If you have a sketch or pictures of what you did it would be fantastic.

Bob W
Unregistered guest
Pier,
I don't have any pictures. Just this....
Unplug your TV and disconnect all the cables at the rear of the TV.
You then want to remove the lower rear panel.It's held in place with Philips screws.

You then want to remove the screws holding the panel that you plug the cables into. there are several screws. Just let it hang in place.

then remove the 4 screws holding the main board.

You will have to remove the screw holding the fan on the lower right side. after all the panels are loose, you can pull all of them out the rear of TV to give you access to the Wheel. Don't pull too hard and pull any connections loose. However you will have to give the main board a pull to rear of the TV to break it loose. Dont worry about
getting everything back in place. it only fits one way.

Next you want to remove the lamp. the instructions for this are in your manual.

After you remove the lamp, you will have access to the two color wheel covers. one cover removes from the front, the other removes from the top. there is a hidden screw on the left on the top cover. It's hard to get at.

There are three screws holding the color wheel in. then just put everything together in reverse order. Just take this step by step. letme know if you run into any problems. It's not too difficult if you take your time. I ordered the color wheel from www.samsungparts.com however, you may be able to find one on EBAY for less. Samsung delivered mine it two days for $18.00
E-Mail me if you have a question. RWW0630@aol.com

Anonymous

I also replaced the color wheel. I just followed service manual instructions and took about 2 hours. Cost was about $128 and have no noise and picture is better than ever!

Anonymous

Based on the posts of those who have gone before, I am in the process of replacing the color wheel on my HLN437WX. I wanted to see if I could access it before ordering the part. The part is now on order (should arrive in a couple of days), and the beast is apart on the dining table.

All looks fine. I did not have to disconnect any other component; just lots of screws to remove.

I also only had to remove the top cover of the color wheel.

I have one question though about the small white ribbon cable connecting the wheel. It looks like a pretty normal connector at the wheel, but where it plugs back into the component panel to the left it looks like the cable simply slides into this connector. Is this right? I see no way to take apart the connector. The backside of the cable has a blue surface where it is inserted into the connector. I'm guessing that is to provide proper orientation.

Any helpful experience appreciated. Thanks!

Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung DLP HLN5065W that we bought in Jan 2003, so its nearly 3 years old. 8 months ago is developed the loud squeal associated with the color wheel bearings which would usually go away after the TV warmed up a bit. A month ago the set refused to show a picture unless I let it cycle through three tries to light the lamp, unplugged, then plugged and retried. For the last two weeks it has refused to come on at all.

I tried a reputable service shop that says they do wide-screen sets, but they cannot get a straight answer from Samsung (not Sammy approved repair shop), so they recommended I go to a Sammy-approved repair shop for my own good.

I've called in my problem to them, and they will charge a flat $208 plus parts plus tax. If I'm right this should cost me:

$208 service/labor
$118 color wheel
$199 lamp assembly

This bites. This TV cost me over $4,000 not quite 3 years ago, and now will cost me over $500 (hopefully not more) to repair. Our tube TVs, while not nearly as spectacular as the Samsung, have run without any maintenance or repair for over 8 years. Its expensive to own new electronics. Criminally expensive.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 397
Not really!

You bought a bright display set with consumable lamp projection technology, not unlike front projectors. You knew you would need a lamp sooner or later. Almost 3 years is really outstanding for a lamp. Front projection lamps usually last less than 2000 hours. I'll bet yours is in excess of 8000 hours. I would think you would also have a spare lamp handy for no downtime. After all, that is the type of set you bought. The lamp is a consumer replaceable item per the manual. The set has it's own hatch door for that purpose. If I were you I'd just take the back off and replace the lamp and color wheel myself at the same time. It's pretty simple and requires only a screwdriver. The wheel slides up from in front of the lamp. Two wire harnesses and two top mounted screws and out it comes.

Cost:

$118
$199

http://www.samsungparts.com

Try this!

Power up the set and slap the lamp housing area a few times. If the lamp has any life left it might fire off. If it does, keep the set on 24/7 until your parts arrive.

samhln437wx
Unregistered guest
I completed the replacement of the color wheel in my HLN437WX, and all is working fine AND quiet.

The replacement was easier than I had thought it would be. I did not have/need a service manual.

Remove lamp cover.

Remove lower rear panel.

Remove connection cover (where everything plugs in).

Unscrew/remove rear panel switch on lower right corner(prevents power up if panel removed).

Remove smaller fan behind right rear brace and let it sit on the larger lamp fan (you must temporarily remove the brace to get at the right screw).

Remove the wires from the large round cable clip above the lamp fan (just pull the clip apart).

Remove 4 screws holding the main engine board.

Gently pull the board out and turn it clockwise to preserve the connections back to the boards on the left.

The color wheel cover is just behind the lamp assembly. There are three screws holding down the cover and two small cables coming out from the right side going over the cover to connections on the left. There is a temperature sensor on the top of the cover.

The new color wheel comes with new cables already attached to the wheel.

Disconnect those cables on the right. The small ribbon cable is simply inserted into the connector. It has conductor material on the inserted end. Note the position of the blue wire in the other cable, and the conductor material on the ribbon cable.

Remove the three screws on the wheel cover. Don't bother with the temperature sensor on top of the cover; it's connecting cable is long enough.

Remove the metallic tape on top of the cover and save it.

Gently pull the wheel cover up. There is another piece of tape on the inaccessible left side of the cover; you just have to pull it up tape and all.

With the color wheel exposed remove the three screws holding it in place and lift that piece of junk out of there.

Put everything in reverse.

Make sure you did not disconnect anything on the boards to the left as you pulled the main board out (I did).

Piece of cake!

Anonymous

SAMSUNG DLP Color Wheel Replacement and Sourcing:
If your SAMSUNG is now making a grating, loud noise (like Mine) and needs repair...it isn't your lightbulb it is your COLORWHEEL that needs fixing. This is a compilation of two emails that I dug through and found regarding HOW TO REPLACE YOUR SAMSUNG COLOR WHEEL for less than $120...AND where to SOURCE the PART. Hopefully this is Helpful for those who
POST #1:
I don't have any pictures. Just this.... Unplug your TV and disconnect all the cables at the rear of the TV. You then want to remove the lower rear panel.It's held in place with Philips screws. You then want to remove the screws holding the panel that you plug the cables into. there are several screws. Just let it hang in place. then remove the 4 screws holding the main board. You will have to remove the screw holding the fan on the lower right side. after all the panels are loose, you can pull all of them out the rear of TV to give you access to the Wheel. Don't pull too hard and pull any connections loose. However you will have to give the main board a pull to rear of the TV to break it loose. Dont worry about getting everything back in place. it only fits one way.

Next you want to remove the lamp. the instructions for this are in your manual. After you remove the lamp, you will have access to the two color wheel covers. one cover removes from the front, the other removes from the top. there is a hidden screw on the left on the top cover. It's hard to get at.

There are three screws holding the color wheel in. then just put everything together in reverse order. Just take this step by step. letme know if you run into any problems. It's not too difficult if you take your time. I ordered the color wheel from www.samsungparts.com however, you may be able to find one on EBAY for less. Samsung delivered mine it two days for $18.00. E-Mail me if you have a question. RWW0630@aol.com
Based on the posts of those who have gone before, I am in the process of replacing the color wheel on my HLN437WX. I wanted to see if I could access it before ordering the part. The part is now on order (should arrive in a couple of days), and the beast is apart on the dining table.

POST #2:
All looks fine. I did not have to disconnect any other component; just lots of screws to remove. I also only had to remove the top cover of the color wheel. I have one question though about the small white ribbon cable connecting the wheel. It looks like a pretty normal connector at the wheel, but where it plugs back into the component panel to the left it looks like the cable simply slides into this connector. Is this right? I see no way to take apart the connector. The backside of the cable has a blue surface where it is inserted into the connector. I'm guessing that is to provide proper orientation.

Any helpful experience appreciated. Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us