HDMI Audio drop out?

Username: Dms

Post Number: 1
My Panasonic TH-37PX50U plasma has an audio drop out problem when connected through the HDMI port of my Samsung DVD-VR325. The VR325 outputs 1080i on the HDMI connector. Great picture, wish I could figure out what this bug is. I am not sure if its the TV or the DVR. Audio drops for about 1 - 2 seconds every minute or two. Acts as though some buffer is overflowing etc.
If I connect the DVR using the component outputs to the tv audio is fine. Has anyone run into this issue?
DMS

Username: D_singh

Post Number: 7
I haven't, only because I don't use HDMI for audio purposes. I solely use digital coaxial or fiber optic cables for audio. Strange, though...I've never heard of this happening.

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1120
It's a Samsung. Expect anything. Try switching HDMI cables and pray that the solution is this simple.

Curtis Arballo
Unregistered guest
I have the same problem kind of. I just got a TH-37px50u but I am having the problem with my comcast DVR HD reciever. My HD reciever is connected to my Plasma via HDMI and the audio drops out every now and then. Sometimes every 2 mins or so, sometimes it will go like 20 mins and then do it. I am returning my HDMI cable tomorrow and exchanging it. Hopefully this solves it. Did you every have any luck?

Dave Sharp
Unregistered guest
Yesterday I picked up a TH-42PX50U and a VR325. I immediately began to hear the occasional audio drop out when playing either DVD or VHS. With the plasma, you can force it to use the analog audio source with HDMI rather than the digital audio carried on the HDMI cable. This connects to the VR325 through the component audio hookups. I verified by plugging and unplugging the audio cables that indeed it was feeding the audio to the Panasonic. Interestingly, the audio drop outs still occurred.

The next test was obvious, I connected the analog audio cables to my old TV and switched the plasma back to digitial audio. I turned both the TV on and the plasma and then waited. Within a minute or two of watching the Matrix, I heard the plasma speakers cut out but I heard the TV speakers still playing.

Unfortunately, my conclusion is the Panasonic plasma is at fault. Curtis' observation with the comcast HD DVR via HDMI to essentially the same hardware as my screen supports my opinion that Panasonic has a botched HDMI implementation on their TH-xxPX50U line.

My next course of action is to find another HD up convertor DVD player and hope it somehow avoids the Panasonic bug. Failing that, I'm going to return the plasma and get a different one. The VR325 is a sweet combination of products at a great price.

Bill Sherer
Unregistered guest
I'll jump in on your thread, because I have a similar problem with HDMI. Connected my Dish network Sat box to JVC 61Z886 HDTV with DVI-HDMI cable. Use regular analog RCA cable for audio. Tried two different audio cables and the sound still cuts out for a fraction of a second, about every 10 seconds. When hooked up with component cables, every thing sounds fine, but doesn't look as good. Let us know if you find the solution to your problem

Username: Agoodman

I have a similar problem. I attached the Comcast DVR box to my Sony LCD HDTV via HDMI cable and have a 1-2 second audio drop every 10-15 minutes when
1) I watch a DVR recorded show
2) I watch live TV while DVR is recording another channel.

I do not seem to have the problem when I watch live TV with DVR not running. I have only had the DVR and TV for two days.

Unregistered guest
I have exactly the same problem: just installed a 42" panasonic plasma th-42px50u and hooked up a samsung dvd/vcr combination with hdmi cable and have the audio dropout every few minutes on both dvd and vcr. I took the samsung back to circuit city--it had to be the player's fault and not the panasonic!!!--got a new one, and have exactly the same problem. I haven't had the time to try other solutions, but glad to know I'm not the only one having the problem.
Randy Bates

Larry Sallee
Unregistered guest
I'm using a Sony DHG-HDD250 DVR attached via HDMI cable to a Yamaha HTR5990 AV receiver, which is in turn attached to a Panasonic TH-42PX50U plasma TV with another HDMI cable. In this configuration I'm experiencing the same audio dropouts others are describing, 1-2 seconds at random intervals.

In experimenting with the setup, I've noticed the dropouts do NOT seem to occur if the DVR is connected DIRECTLY to the TV with an HDMI cable (as opposed to thru the amp).

I've tried swapping the HDMI cables around between the DVR, the receiver and the TV, and then using each as a single connection between the DVR and the TV. In each case, the single HDMI cable from the DVR to the TV worked fine, but cabling thru the receiver produced dropouts.

Debbie Mock
Unregistered guest
My Samsung DVD-VR325 is connected to a 1080P Mitsubishi via a RCA HDMI cable. It is also connected to AVR via TosLink. The audio drops for 1-2 seconds intermittantly on both DVD and VHS play. The drop out occurs on both TV sound and receiver sound.

Sue Pegeas
Unregistered guest
I wish I had seen your posts before wiring my home last week with HDMI. We purchased a Philips 42" Plasma (got a great deal) purchased 25' of HDMI and wired the house. Great picture, very little audio. We have the HDMI running from the Direct TV HD unit to the Plasma. We are very dissapointed. Reading all of the threads it sounds like we need to "fish" audio through the house in order to get both video and uninterrputed audio. By the way all of the literature tells you this isn't so.

JBV
Unregistered guest
Having the same issue with my Bell Expressvu (aka Dish Network) HD PVR using HDMI through my Pioneer Elite Receiver. I find the audio issue happens when the unit gets hot and disappears after allowing it to cool down. Another odd issue with HDMI - I get very little bass effects when playing DVD's through the HDMI cable when I compare it to the Coaxial Digital Cable - the sound is night and day. It seems obvious that this is an HDMI Cable issue...

Unregistered guest
I connected a Sony KDSr60XBR1 to my Dish DVR 942 via HDMI. Great video, but no audio. Connected red/white RCA cables from the DVR 942 to the HDMI red/white audio and still no audio. Red/white from DVR 942 to component side of TV and you have audio. Same HDMI cable used from DVR to TV and got both video and sound. Digital audio from DVR 942 to Sony Dream System receiverc connected via opitcal fiber cuts in and out losing audio every 15 to 20 secs.

Curtis Arballo
Unregistered guest
Ok here is an update. So here is my setup. Comcast DVR hooked up to TH-37px50u via HDMI. It also is connected via analog cables for sound. There is an optical output going out of my television into my reciever so i can use my stereo for sound instead of the plasma speakers. So here is what happens.

If I configure Plasma to use digital HDMI sound, I get audio cut out (on HD channels only) on both the speakers of the plasma and on my stereo speakers. If I configure the Plasma to use analog i still get audio cut out (HD channels only) on the tv speakers but not the stereo. So obviously there is a bug in the panasonic HDMI implementation which it utilizes any hidef broadcast and its onboard sound. So sound passthrough doesn't seem to be affected since my stereo doesn't cut out on analog. It does on HDMI digital sound. I almost thought my unit was broke, but it sounds like a bug from reading everyone elses experiences. So a solution is to use analog and not use the Plasma's speakers but your stereo for the sound when using hi def signal such as dvd player on HDMI or Comcast hookup via HDMI. Sucks but true it looks like from reading all these feeds. Oh one more thing. Note all channels outside HD are just fine using HDMI or analog. No audio cut out what so ever.

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony Grand Wega (KDF-55WF655) with a Bell HD PVR 9200. I send audio and video to the TV through a HDMI/HDMI cable. When I switch channels on the satellite receiver, the new program shows up on the screen (with sound) for about 1 second. Then the screen goes blank and the audio disappears for half a second and finally everything returns. Sometimes it happens twice after a channel change.

Bell has had me reboot and reset my reciever a million times and they suggested I get a new HDMI cable. I got a new cable and it did not help.

This frustrates me because Bell is clueless and they are pointing their finger at Sony, while Sony is pointing their finger at Bell.

Any help would be great!

Unregistered guest
I bought a Panasonic TH-42PX50U with a Samsung DVD-VR325 and experience the drop outs at 720p, but not at 480p. I wish I've read your messages before. DId anyone solve the problem?

Unregistered guest
I just got my Bell PVR 9200 yesterday with my Sony Grand Wega (KDF-E60A20) and experiencing the same problem as Terry. Connected through the HDMI cable. If I switch channels, or jump forward or back with the DVR, the picture appears and after a second it goes blank like the TV is resetting itself before displaying the picture again. It can also happen a couple of times.

I tried connecting the component video plus audio connectors and I don't have the problem.

Terry - were you able to resolve this problem?

blscorp
Unregistered guest
I also tried the Panasonic 42px50U with the Samsung DVD-VR325 and got the audio dropouts. The problem is the Samsung, whose digital audio output delivers dropouts during playback and static during pause/stop whenever the HDMI is connected. I tried two units both with the most recent manufacturing dates and they both behaved exactly the same, it's an inherent flaw that makes the HDMI feature unusable if you want Dolby 5.1. Too bad because no one else has a model with HDMI, DVD recording and VCR yet, but this one wasn't ready for prime time. Samsung tech support knows this, but have no solution. I gave up on the all-in-one fantasy and got a Panasonic DVD-S97, which works beautifully for watching DVDs.

blscorp
Unregistered guest
Just to clarify the above, the Panasonic DVD player IS connected using HDMI. It delivers picture and stereo sound to the TV (via HDMI) and 5.1/DTS to my receiver (via optical audio out), both flawlessly. I also have a Time Warner HD cable box connected to the TV's HDMI input (I have a switcher). Again, no audio problems with digital audio feed to the receiver. I don't think there's a problem w/ Panasonic TV HDMI. Just watch out for that Samsung DVD-VR325

Unregistered guest
It sounds as though it may be the HDMI or something. I am connecting via HDMI from a Comcast DVR to a Harmon Kardon receiver. A two second dropout every three minutes (clockwork). When it happens, the display on the receiver shows "No Data". When I play back on the DVR, the audio is there.

Just HDiving In
Unregistered guest
I have just started researching this issue but thought this may shed some light. On Direct TV's website there is a whole thread devoted to the HD DVR audio drop-out issue. So before you assume it is your plasma TV - give that site a look

Username: Pboisso

I have the same problem with Bell ExpressVu 9200 and Panasonic TH42PX50.

Does anyone have a solution for that? If not, I'm returning the TV.

Down-under
Unregistered guest
I have a different but equally strange problem.

I brought recently a JVC DILA rear projection TV with HDMI interface. Hooked up to digital set top box via a DVI cable and DVI/HDMI adaptor. TV does allow me to choose between digital audio and analog audio. I connected up analog as the set top box doesn't really have HDMI output. As I have said, I used a DVI/HDMI adaptor.

No problem ever with audio drop out. But there is a small ticking sound coming from the TV loudspeakers every 1 second. A bit like a heart beat sound. Most noticeable when I turn down the volume control on the set top box (and turn up volume on the TV). During quite scences it's like a clock ticking.

I thought initially it came from the set top box. But the ticking sound is still there even if I unplug the analog audio line. The sound also gets louder as I turn up the TV volume. So it must come from the JVC TV.

Strange thing is this problem doesn't appear if I use component input or S-VHS. Only in the TV's HDMI input. Tried switching between 576p/720p/1080i but it proved to be no different.

Anyone with similar experience?

fx
Unregistered guest
Sounds like a ground loop problem to me.

xvxvxvx

Username: Zj044

I think this problem is caused by CTS. HDMI receiver recoveries audio sample clock by parameter CTS and N. So if CTS overflow the audio will interrupt.

Username: Groff5

Well, at least I'm not the only one! I was beginning to think I was nuts. I bought the TH-50PX50U in December 2005, and immediately it started dropping sound out for about 3 secs. Sometimes several times an hour, sometimes would go hours with no problem.

I'll try to make a long story short, but panasonic took it in for repair 3 times, then gave me my money back because after replacing several cards and the amplifier, they couldn't figure it out.

So I took the money and bought the next generation (TH-50PX60U) because I love the panasonic picture. Even though they changed the TV substantially (now has 2 HDMI inputs, has inputs on front, has SD card capability, next generation plasma screen), IT CUTS OUT TOO!

It has to be a basic problem with the design. Since I'm an engineer, I troubleshot the original unit a million ways. Ended up that with NO OTHER INPUT connected to the unit except an EXTERNAL (over the airwaves) antenna input into the coax connector, it STILL CUTS OUT. I have an Dish DVR, so I suspected that was the problem, but I disconnected it entirely, and it still drops out. The funny thing is, with the DVR you can step back and replay it and the sound is there!

With this new unit I'm just giving up and accepting it, since I love the unit otherwise. If we play the sound through the receiver it never cuts out. You'll hear the sound from the TV speakers drop out, but it still comes out over the Sony Receiver. I would assume it is an HDMI problem, and I have noticed it is worse when the unit is warm (hot), but I have a fan in my stereo cabinet that keeps it pretty cool, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, if anyone actually gets an answer on this, let me know. BTW, Panasonic customer service was awesome. They were fast, friendly, and very accomodating. But they couldn't figure it out. They refunded my original purch price, but I was still out about $150 due to shipping, etc. for the new unit.

Username: Hiendtime

I have an audio drop out of about 2 seconds every 20 seconds or so with a Sharp 37" LCD (LC-37D4U) hooked up via HDMI to a Samsung DVD-HD941 dvd player. Tried swapping HDMI cables, even swapped players as I have a few HD941 players in the house and the problem persists. Do not have any audio drop out through my DA5000ES Sony receiver but that is because I have that connected to the dvd player via an optical cable. The Sharp has the ability to output audio via RCA cables and video only via HDMI so I turned the audio off for the HDMI and turned on the RCA jacks and the problem is gone. Also had HDMI audio problems with the same dvd player hooked up to a 30" Panasonic direct view HDTV. So I am thinking maybe the Samsungs have a bug with HDMI audio??? Needless to say, I think the manufacturers need to address HDMI audio as too many people are having the same problem with many different brands.

Username: Vincegurrera

I've been dealing with this audio drop problem on my Panasonic TH-50PX50U for over a year. The official answer from Panasonic was that "other companies" have higher tolerances of frequency that HDMI is supposed to operate in. So I replaced my new DVD player and my new Dish Network receiver and still having problems. Finally, I gave up and just started using component inputs in lieu of HDMI. Fortunately, the plasma does have a seperate input for analog audio alongside the HDMI input (see manual).

I'm really pissed off at Panasonic however. They implied that the problem was with everyone else's engineering, when, in fact, it was their's all along.

Username: Tikka

My problem is similar: Comcast HD box is connected to Yamaha RX-V1700 receiver via component video + optical audio ( I was told the Comcast box does not work with HDMI out, so this was the best hookup). Receiver connects to Sony SXRD via HDMI. When watching HD channels, the sound will drop out completely on some ads (never during the show), and then return when the show returns. On a regular cable channel, the sound will also drop out during some ads, but will not return when the show comes back on. Changing the channel brings the audio back, but if that channel also has ads, it will play audio to the end of that ad, then mute again at the next commercial. I also have a dvd player connected to the receiver via HDMI, and have had no audio problems with it whatsoever. I've tried it with the tv speakers on and off, the sound still drops out totally. If the cable box is connected straight to the tv, audio is fine, but the whole point of getting good speakers and a receiver is to actually use them, not bypass them. If sound returned reliably during all tv shows, I'd be delighted to lose the sound on the ads, but as it is, it's a bit annoying.

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 158
"have a similar problem. I attached the Comcast DVR box "
didn't matter how mine is hooked up. i just switched from component to hdmi and i think the problem is the dvr. i lose audio, hit last channel recall and sound is ok switch back and sound is back on original channel.

Username: Evliath

I just spoke with Westinghouse about my LTV-32W6, which also has the sound drop-out problem whenever connected to anything through HDMI. Their official stance was well rehearsed--"This is a problem that we have seen on this set, and at this point we're collecting data. You can check back with us in 2-3 weeks to see if we have any updates."

I heard nothing akin to "we'll get the problem fixed, but it's just going to take some time to find the best solution." Hopefully I'm just cynical, and they will be able to come through with a solution, but at this point I'm expecting to be the loser here.

Post Number: 2
Picked up a LG DN191H for my daughters room. Just out of curiousity I hooked it up to the Sharp lcd last night and the HDMI audio was fine. So, for me the issue was with the Samsung DVD-HD941. The picture on the Samsung is much sharper than the LG, so I'll just stick with the Samsung and the analog audio.

Username: Jeff98

I may be stating the obvious here, but has everyone checked the specifications for both their televisions and peripheral components to ensure that the HDMI interfaces are compatible, and that you are using the correct cable? There are numerous versions of HDMI, from 1.0 to 1.3, and many people do not realize this or look for it when purchasing components or cables. Generally they will work together but there is no guarantee that they will work seamlessly. I have encountered many instances where this has occurred. I install home theater and whole-home automation systems as part of my business, and have had to correct similar issues as you are all stating in existing systems. When I wire a new setup where the customer demands HDMI, I always run either component audio (RCA), coax-D, optical toslink, or 1394 for sound in addition to the HDMI. You should be able to deselect HDMI audio transfer on your television set. If you are running your HDMI straight into a receiver first, you will need a good receiver with HDMI switching to correct the issue.

Username: Jeff98

Another issue with HDMI is that it does not truly support 5.1 or DTS sound. It only processes Dolby 2.0 absolute. If I can persuade the customer I generally run DVI instead of HDMI, because I run seperate digital audio anyhow and there is NO difference between DVI and HDMI. Infact, in my opinion DVI is better not only because it can span quite a bit further than HDMI and does not differentiate as much from one source to another, but it has screw connectors that secure the cable to the television and components. Most cables come up into the bottom of the televisions, and with vibration HDMI has been known to shake loose. I had to tear open a wall this past summer to replace a cable only to find it had fallen out.

Username: Swemoney

Bensenville, IL

Although this thread seems to have started way back at the end of 2005, it is now 2007 and I just purchased a brand new samsung LN-T3242H tv. I have both a comcast DVR and an xbox360 Elite connected via HDMI and both of these devices drop audio at random times. I do believe the audio drop out is quite a bit longer than 2 seconds though. I'll do more testing, but I usually have to cycle through the HDMI inputs and back to the affected one for the audio to kick back in. I just emailed samsung and hoping for an answer about this soon..

Username: Jbrashen

***SOLUTION THAT WORKED 100% FOR ME*** I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma I bought in August of 2007 and hooked it up to Comcast HD DVR box but my HD channels sound would come in and out periodically like everyone elses, it sucked!. I tried all the quick fixes people have used and the best solution for me was running analog audio through the amp speakers while watching HDTV with an HDMI cable, that is untill I discovered the SOLUTION. READ ON PLEASE It was a temporary fix until i discovered that I had the "old school" Comcast HDTV BOX with the Yellow LED Writting. After Panasonic took apart my TV refurbished it and Comcast rewired my entire house wnd tried every quick fix variable except exchanging the box for the NEWEST MODEL that comcast claims is not as good as the old model, I finally forced Comcast to upgrade the box because it was the only variable that had not been tested! AND OF COURSE THIS WAS THE PROBLEM... You need Comcast's newest box the one with Blue LED writing its your long term solution!

Username: Scottbohlen

Germantown, MD USA

To add my name to this thread.... I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma bought in Sept 2007... is beautiful! but has the audio dropout issue and I get it both from my Comcast HD DVR (the new type with blue LED's) and I get it from my Apple TV. It happens about once every 15 minutes or so and happens for about 2 seconds.

Post Number: 3
Since my last post I have stuck with RCA for audio and HDMI for video. That is until the other day when I hooked up a PS3 for the first time. Switched the TV settings to HDMI for audio and played back an entire Blu-Ray movie with no audio drop out whatsoever.

Have played games on the PS3 with no HDMI audio problems as well. The only thing I can think of is the PS3 uses HDMI ver. 1.3. It is the first ver. 1.3 device I have used with the Sharp LCD and the HDMI audio works like a charm.

Leads me to believe HDMI audio drop out may have something to do with the HDMI version of the player?

Username: Mdbox1

Franklin, MA USA

My system has been experiencing the same audio drop out as well. My system consists of a DirectTV HD satellite receiver, Yamaha RX-V1800 w/1.3 HDMI and Sony Bravia 52" LCD TV w/1.2 HDMI. I also have a Sony PS3 w/1.3 HDMI.

All inputs go through the HDMI connections of the Yamaha receiver.
The audio drop out is not evident while using the PS3 to play non-Blu-Ray 5.1 movies nor is the problem evident while playing Blu-Ray 5.1 movies.

The audio drop out problem is only evident while using the DirecTV HD Receiver.
Symptoms;

It only happens on channels that are HD.
It happens during commercials.
The frequency of occurrence is greater when watching a sports feed in HD then break to a commercial. When you return to the sports event from the commercial, the problem goes away.
When the problem is very bad during the commercial, 1 sec. drop every 5 seconds during commercial, the drop outs starts to appear in the show itself.

Other observations;
• I believe this could be a network feed problem or HDMI version compatibility problem, due to the Yamaha receiver is at HDMI version 1.3 and the TV is 1.2. I suspect the DirecTV satellite receiver is 1.2 because I obtained it prior to the release of HDMI 1.3.
• I personally lean towards the network feed as being the issue. However, without knowing the version of the HDMI on the satellite receiver I can't be 100% sure it's the network feed.
• Why would it only happen on commercials on HD channels?
• I have notice in the threads above people have spoken about the fact that HDMI doesn't support 5.1. If that's the case why do my non-HD channels with 5.1 do not experience this problem? Or why do I not experience the problem when playing 5.1 movies on the PS3 through the HDMI connection, both Blu-Ray and non-HD dvds? Doesn't make sense to say HDMI doesn't support 5.1.
• I have also noticed when the audio drops out; the indicator for the HDMI processor on the receiver goes blank as though it lost the signal from the satellite receiver.
• When I experience the problem one HD channel I change to another HD channel the problem is not evident on the channel I change to. When I change the channel back to the original HD channel the audio drop out problem reoccurs. This is why I think it is a problem with the signal from the network feed. I believe there is something about the signal from the network that is causing the problem.
• The audio drop out problem does not happen all the time in my environment. I experience this problem mostly during commercials of professional sporting events.
• Being a software developer I would think the developers of the HDMI firmware would make the firmware backwards compatible to help eliminate issues such as this.

Username: Scottbohlen

Germantown, MD USA

UPDATE -
I replaced my apple TV several days ago with a new one (replaced under warranty)... no dropouts from the new unit. It was replaced because the HD failed.

Username: Ntpaul

Solution:- to Audio drop out over HDMI.

I had a problem with Audio drop out over HDMI, even though HDMI supports Dolby 5.1.

The problem I encountered with drop out of audio over HDMI, is a standards based thing.

If you connect HDMI cable from your source player, to your screen there is no way to then route the audio to your AV amplifier, as HDMI is a point-to-point connection.

Introduce an HDMI switch into the configuration, a switch with multiple HDMI inputs and Digital Coaxial output or SPDIFF Fibre audio output (capable for supporting Dolby 5.1) . This you would think would sort the problem out, wrong.

What happen with HDMI, the signal travel though the switch then goes to the display panel plasma or LCD. As the panel only has stereo Audio, Ie not a Dolby 5.1. decoder built-in, the display panel sends a signal down the HDMI chain to send Stereo PCM, down the line, As 5.1 is not supported by the display panel. So every thing connected on the HDMI chain drops 5.1 and start using PCM 2 channel stereo instead. Hence the drop out.

Solution:-
The only solution at the moment is not a pretty one. You need to use an HDMI switch that allow multiple HDMI inputs, plus multiple audio inputs, with an audio output (Digital Coaxial output or SPDIFF Fibre audio) to connect to your AV amplifier. And An HDMI output for your Video, with PCM sound for normal News type TV.

As audio in the solution above is not travelling over HDMI, it is not affected by the HDMI copy protection standard, so audio does to drop to PCM.

Username: Sctbird18

Another twist to chew:
I too have started experiencing the dropout problem of recent.
I have a Panasonic TH-42PD25U and TH-42PX50U connected to a Comcast HD DVR through a 4:2 HDMI switch with a PS3. Total cable length is about 18 ft of 24awg CL2 rated HDMI.
I have had no problems at all to speak of for the first year with the setup working great.
Then I had the hard drive on the DCT6214 fry on me. I had Comcast give me a new DCH6416 and within a day I realized the audio dropout. 3-30 second cuts like everyone.
So I had Comcast check it out thinking it was a box issue as it was the only thing changed, but no avail. Trouble please someone get this fixed.
One note also. The TH-42PD25U on the same switch as the TH-42PX60U has no problems. ?? I will try a few things, thanks for everyones input.

Username: Sctbird18

I believe the opposite may be true for me, I had the old DVR box DCT6208 and it worked fine, hard drive fried and now I have the Blue LED DCH6416 and the problem appeared, I need to find a solution before I go crazy

#POST1407420

Username: Musikman777

SOLUTION TO ANNOYING AUDIO DROPOUT!

I caught up with this thread and feel everyone's frustration, but finally found a workaround that has worked 100% for me, and hopefully for all of you.

Seems the HDMI is needed from the DVR to get hi def picture, but audio is obviously lacking and drops out continually and randomly, very annoying!! Here's what I did to solve it.

Most DVR's from cable or satellite companies also have a set of RCA or Component Outputs (red & white for audio, yellow for video). FIRST, TURN OFF YOUR TV SPEAKERS, THEY PROBABLY SUCK ANYWAY COMPARED TO YOUR SURROUND SYSTEM. (This workaround will work if you have a home theater receiver/surround system.) Keep the HDMI cable running directly to your tv's HDMI input so you can retain the hi def picture. Next, get a set of RCA cables and run them off the DVR component outputs to either Video 1, or Video 2 on your Receiver/Amp. Make sure to connect the yellow(video) as well as the red & white connectors. The reason for this is that even though you don't think you need the yellow video send, sometimes from what I've heard is that part of the data information for surround sound is carried to the receiver over that yellow video cable. If you don't plug that in you might not get full surround sound. Ok, when you're watching a hi def and that annoying dropout occurs on the audio, switch your receiver to where you plugged in the RCA cables (Video 1 or 2). You should eliminate the dropout and still get surround! Even though this is not "digital" audio and is more like "analog" audio, the dropout is gone!
This has worked for me, no more missing sound on my tv shows!

If your Video 1 and 2 are full and not available, but your hdtv has audio outputs and enough inputs, here's what you can do. Hook up components (VCR,DVD players directly to your tv's inputs, then audio L & R outputs of tv to auxilery input of Receiver/Amp. This way your VCR/DVD is sent directly to tv and it's audio to the receiver's aux input. This will free up Video 1 and/or 2 inputs of the receiver to hook in the component (RCA) wires from the cable/satellite DVR box.

This way, VCR,DVD, and DVR audio all are sent to the receiver's aux inputs, and if the dropout happens from the dvr, just change the receiver to Video 1 (or 2) to eliminate it. The audio signal from the HDMI cable meets a dead end, and you're eliminating the dropout! Best of luck to all!

Musikman777

Username: Beddows

Vancouver, BC Canada

I too have this problem of audio dropouts. I went through the cable company first, then put an amplifier in line, and finally unplugged the HDMI cable, which turned out to be the cause. I have an LG 37LB4D hooked to a Motorola 6412 DVR. Unfortunately I can't use HDMI for picture & analogue for audio, so I have gone to component video for now. I am not sure whether to risk sinking more bucks into another HDMI cable. I have no idea if its the TV, the DVR or the cable.

Post Number: 4
It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the HDMI cable. I've tried swapping cables in the past to no avail. For me it seems to be the combination of AV source and display. My latest setup is a Samsung PN50A550 and a Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-Ray and the combo works fine, never any audio dropout. Also use a Toshiba DVD player/recorder D-R400 without any audio problems whatsoever. My Sony PS3 works fine as well. Different story with the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable box/DVR. The audio doesn't dropout, at times it just doesn't come on at all. Or, if it comes on it takes a few minutes for it to do so after the set is first powered up. So it appears that HDMI simply is not universally compatible given so many issues exist between the different AV components that are out there today.

Paul,

I'm not familiar with the equip you have, however, it is most likely not a bad HDMI cable, just not good at universally sending audio to different brands of components, (as hiendtime stated in his post.) Why can't you separate the audio and use the analog out of the DVR, no surround receiver inputs open? If so, the only option I can think of for you still being able to use your HDMI cable for hi def picture and separate analog for audio is if you can somehow hook up audio RCA wires from the cable box to your VCR, then to whatever sound system you may have. There must be some way you can separate the two in order to stop the HDMI audio signal in it's tracks.

Regards,

Musikman777

Vancouver, BC Canada

My TV does not seem to be able handle HDMI video & RCA audio at the same time, and my wife made me take out the stereo (It's ugly she says. She wanted me to give it to the Sally Ann, its a Yamaha CR2020 from the 70's. I showed her what they are going for on Ebay- about $700 & she said Oh) so I now have a separate audio room & the TV is just using its own internal speakers. That is a woman for you. I guess I have to settle for component video. She can't tell the difference, but I can.

Hey Paul

I see, if you have to send everything to the TV then your TV can only access one input at a time, bummer! I'm using a very old stereo receiver, and it's not digital, but I can send the audio signal to it from the DVR, so it solves the audio dropout problem. I'm using an Onkyo receiver and some very old speakers. Onkyo is a very reliable brand , I've had mine for over ten years. You can get one new for $300 and up, and use some inexpensive speakers. You probably can get one like mine on Ebay for about $100 and still get Dolby surround...something to think about, maybe the wife will be more agreeable with that price? I think component video is only about 480 so it's only half the resolution of what you could be getting for a picture with hi-def. I agree it's a noticeable difference. Best of luck to you!

Musikman777

Username: Rizzo133

LaSalle, ON Canada

I have had the same problem (Sony STR-DG 900, TH-50PX50U Panasonic, PS3 Launch Model and Motorola DCT6416 PVR). The PS3 and the PVR have 1.3 2mbps transfer rate HDMI cables running to the Sony HDMI switch and another HDMI cable (Same Specs.) running out to the Panasonic. I have had sporadic issues with audio and video dropping out for 1-2 seconds. I began with replacing the HDMI cables, because I wanted to use the DDHD and DTS Master audio features on the PS3 and hoped it would resolve the drop out issue, because unlike everyone else here I lose audio and video from both the PVR and the PS3. I purchased 1.3a 7.0mbps transfer rate Monster HDMI's and the problem persisted. Then I had the PVR replaved, with the same models which is 1.3 compliant and the problem persisted. Finally I replaced the Sony A/V Receiver with a STR-DG820 which also supports 1.3 HDMI. The problem remains, the only thing that I have not swapped is the Panasonic. I had been and still am assuming that the problem lies with the Panasonic and the HDMI handshake. I did my best, I hope that someone more knowledgable will be able to figure this one out, it is quite annoying and mine only glitches twice a day at the most.

Username: Nxnwshawn

--- Possible Solution ---
Hi, I am a Comcast Technician with a similar problem. I have a brand new Toshiba Regza 32" LCD Monitor. I mated it via HDMI to my Motorola 3416 DVR. I was getting random audio cut-out. I isolated the HDMI outlet, and tested against my brand new Sony DVD. No audio problem on the DVD. The problem, as some others have postulated was multiple HDMI standards.

--SOLUTION--
My Toshiba has the capability to differentiate between newer and older HDMI standards. The Tohiba's interface called it lip-sync latency. Once turned off on the right HDMI port, the cable box has worked perfectly for hours. Search your monitor's guide for troubleshooting HDMI problems.

Username: Elfman84

Another option to fix this that worked for me is to set the HDMI mode on the cable box to DVI Mode, It sounds like it would cause no video but all it does is disable audio on the HDMI cable and allow the TOSLINK cable to work without dropouts

Username: Hoangdieutrinh

Solution for HDMI signal drop

Configuration: TV Sony KDL-46W3000
Amplifier: STR-DA5300ES
DVR: Explorer 8300HD DVR

I had often HDI signal drop problem, that was caused by both machines: STR-DA5300ES and Explorer 8300HD DVR.
To fix that problem, i did:

1) Reboot Explorer 8300HD DVR (power bar off and on)
2) Reseting STR-DA5300ES to factory default (look for "resetting" in your manual page 36)
3) This step is the crutial one: set A/V Sync (Suncrhronizes audio and video output) to 100 ms.
This parameter will force the the amplifier to keep certain amount of sound signals in memory and
when there's a drop in HDMI signal input, you won't see that on your TV. So far, that works fine for me.

Username: Tlgal

I am having a similar problem on a new Panasonic plasma tv (a week old), a Comcast Motorola DVR (yellow display - has had failed RF audio out jacks within the last 2 years already). I do not have any external audio equipment hooked to the tv - only using HDMI between DVR and tv with tv speakers. The drop out intensifies on HD channels but it is present on non-HD channels as well. It's really beginning to bug me as I really can't afford to start tinkering or adding components (my old tv died unexpectedly)}

Username: Nxnwshawn

This is one of three problems. 1: Problem with the audio portion of the signal on the HDMI cable. Solution: Try to find out if your tv has settings for the HDMI audio. Try both. 2: The HDMI signal is incompatible with your TV. Solution: Try Component cables. You're not losing any quality, and can get them at your cable office. 3: There is a problem with the cable box. Overall the easiest way will be to call for a service call. You know how much you'll spend, ask when you book it, and the tech will solve the problem.

Username: Timbucktwo

Hello, I own a DYNEX DX-L26-10A LCD/HDTV and a brand new 80G Playstation 3. I even bought the Sony Playstation 3 HDMI 1.3A Cable and I have everything hooked up and calibrated strictly for gaming (PS3 > HDMI > HDTV).

Within the first few minutes of playing I immediately noticed the fraction of a second drop out. I have a 2 week return on the TV and playstation and I am completely clueless as to what the issue is. PLEASE HELP!

Username: Gdawson

I have been having same issue for over a month.

Equiptment:
Panasonic Plasma TV
Motorola HD Receiver (Non DVR)
Comcast - Georgia

The sound drop only occurs on non-hd channels. The HD channels work perfect. Generally it happens once every 5 to 10 minutes on most non-hd channels. However on Bravo, it seems to happen 2 or 3 times a minute.

Actions:
1. Called Comcast. Their suggestion was to unplug the receiver....ummmm yeah, did not work.

2. Returned the receiver to Comcast and got a new one....did not work.

3. Explained the situation to the experts at Fry's and suggested I by a power cleaner surge protector for $200. This did not work either.

I am not sure what else to do. Any suggestions? I thought about replacing the HDMI cable, but not sure spending the $30+ will fix the problem.

Username: Ziggymcweems

Frankford, ON Canada

I have the same problem with the HDMI cable and the Hdef chanels. have tried 3 different 9200 series recievers with no change. was told to try standard GBR cables and regular audio cables. Picture was worse and sound was the same. Don't know what to do now.

Username: Gdawson

I was able to fix the problem by using composite cables and hdmi.

Frankford, ON Canada

Gary
you said you fixed the problem with composite cables and HDMI.
How can you do that?
My Sony TV has different inputs for each cable input, and composite cables and HDMI cables will not go together. Different input numbers.
Please explain.

Vancouver, BC Canada

With composit eyou have 3 video cabels & 2 audio. With HDMI, it is a single cable for video & audio. There will be a separate output from your DVR for them.

Frankford, ON Canada

does the video one have a blue, yellow and red cables? The audio one is two.

Vancouver, BC Canada

No, they are Blue Green & Red and fairly heavy guage. They usually run at least $25 a set. What you are probably looking at are standard audio video cables. You need these for the audio portion. On the back of the TV there should be a row of 5 RCA sockets marked component in.

Frankford, ON Canada

Thanks
I went to Future shop and they sold me a Blue. Red & Green video set and a red white audio set. Seems to work now OK however the volume has to be cranked up a lot more and the picture seems poorer but the audio skip is gone. Thanks for the info.

Post Number: 5
Your audio problem is gone because you are now using analog connections. This is not a "fix" it's more of a workaround. Seems criminal to buy a HDMI set and have to use all analog inputs to get picture and sound. You should at least be able to use the HDMI for video. You connect the HDMI then go into you TV setup menu and select analog as the audio source. This will give you the better picture with the HDMI but will channel the sound through the analog inputs. Before I used analog for both picture and sound I would return the TV and start over with another model. Good luck.

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 5
THis is an option if your TV set allows audio & video from the 2 diferent sources (My LG does not), or if you feed sound into a separate amplifier. My wife will not allow my stereo in the living room. She says its clunky & ugly. Heck it's a Yamaha CR2020, from the 70's, considered by many, the finest stereo receiver ever made. In demand from audiophile purists. It sells on Ebay for twice what is cost originally in 1978. Anyway I don't really notice a big diference in picture quality, and I am not sure if the problem is really the DVR or the TV or both, so retunign th etV i snot aviable option. Tech support from LG says its the DVR. I am sure motorolla would pin the blame on the TV or cable company.

Username: Thebastidge

I have a DCX 3200 HDMI cable box, feeding into a brand new Yamaha RX-V1065 receiver into a Polaroid 42" HDTV.

I also use a Samsung BD-P1600 Blu-Ray player connected to the receiver that never has any problems.

Since getting the new cable box, all digital audio sources (HDMI and RCA digital output) cut out intermittently when connected to the recevier. I also sometimes get video tiling or momnetary blank screen.

I have replaced HDMI cables, swapped to the other HDMI port that works flawlessly for the Blu-Ray player, and even swiched to component video (analog) with digital audio output to the receiver, still getting audio cut-outs.

If I switch to Analog RCA output (video and audio) from cable box to receiver, I have no problems.

If I connect the cable box directly to the TV via HDMI, no problems.

I suspect an HDMI 1.2/1.3 version problem when all 3 devices are in the mix. I can't find info on whether the DCX3200 s 1.3 or 1.2.

Username: Ntpaul

you are right. This is a 1.3 issue. All your kit does not comply. So slowest standard is selected. Upgrade firmware to 1.3

Username: Skutter

for Panasonic TV firmware updates go to: http://www.pasctraining.panasonic.com/firmware/Content/Plasma.ASP
I had the same annoying audio dropouts on non-HD channels, with my TV hooked up to my comcast DVR cable box via HDMI cables. I was able to fix it by upgrading my TV. You will need 2 SD cards to do it, but the step by step instructions are on the site above, and it's super easy. Good luck!

Username: Snorlax

Here's my HDMI dropout story and my workaround. I have a Dynex 42 inch LCD DX42-10A. It was giving me momentary audio dropouts on all sources connected via HDMI. These included a SA8300HD PVR, an XBOX 360 and a Playstatiion 3. I also have a DVI device, a DVICO TVIX HD media player. The DVI source's audio is fed via an analog cable to the TV's VGA audio jack. There is no audio issue with the DVI device, only HDMI. I tried component connections for the HDMI devices and that does cure the problem but I don't have enough componect inputs to handle all three HDMI sources. I tried different HDMI cables, long and short, expensive and cheap. No difference. Then I tried experimenting with the audio settings on the XBOX and Playstation. I turns out if I selected only PCM digital audio rather than Dolby digital the problem goes away. On the Playstation the setting is under the HDMI audio menu. Disable all but the two PCM choices, 44000 and 48000. On the XBOX choose Digital stereo rathar than Dolby Digital. Granted this limits your sound to 2 channels but if the TV is your sound system it only has two speakers so there is no loss. The SA8300HD PVR can't be set to limit the HDMI audio to PCM. You can only enable HDMI or disable it. So for me it has to stay in a component input. That's my cure for this problem. Hope this helps others.

Username: 68breadly

I have been having the same drop out issue with my motorola dvr to a panasonic plasma 50". I've changed hdmi cables and dvr recievers and still had the same problem. I believe I may have fixed it. I went to the motorola, into the help section. I turned off the box but left my tv on. Using the menu button, i scrolled into the audio section and changed the setting from auto to L- PCM. II have been watching now for 4 hrs, and had no issues with drop out. I am using the hdmi cable with no problem. Also, in my panasonic manual, it states if audio is unusual, set audio on the hdmi device to linear PCM. Hope this helps .

Username: Robpaula

I have a similar, but different problem. I have a Sony BDP-S360 Blu-Ray player going through a Harman Kardan AVR-2600 over HDMI in to an LG LH55 47" TV over HDMI. Blu-Ray disks work fine, only regular standard def DVDs played on the Blu-Ray player behave in the above mentioned fashion, with random drops. The problem seems to get worse toward the end of the movie. A regular DVD player over optical, through the receiver, then HDMI to the TV also works fine. Makes me wonder if there's something in the encoding on a regular DVD's that's causing issues...not fully backward compatible perhaps. Using a separate optical is not an option for me. I'll try to return the receiver and get something else before I resort to that. The issue is present for me on both PCM and bitstream audio settings in the Blu-Ray player.

I e-mailed HK and their support guy told me,

"This means the BluRay player is processing differently with different types of media. Try going into the BluRay player settings and under the audio output section, change some options around. It's possible the sampling rate may be too high to play DVD's."

Sampling rate too high? In any case, my sampling was set at 48 KHz / 16-bit. So I changed it to 96 KHz / 24-bit (The only two my player supports). My initial test went favorably. I played the last chapter in Scrooge and it went through without a skip. This was virtually unwatchable on the Samsung. I'll watch a couple movies on the weekend and see what happens though. Watching a chapter is a lot different than a whole move.

Username: Polynikes

I have a Mitsubishi LCD Flat Planel HDTV 133 Series
( LT-40133) and I am having trouble getting audio while viewing HD. The video comes in perfectly and looks great, but without audio.

The DVR/Cable Box is a Scientific Alanta Explorer 8240 with Cox Communications as the provider in southern California.

I have checked the HDMI cord on another HDTV and it works perfectly, so I have ruled that out. I have tried 2 different HDMI cords, the most recent being a newer 1.3 and the older was an Ultra Prograde.

The cable box I am using is relatively new and obviously supports HD. I'm thinking the problem from what I've read is with my T.V

I have tried hooking the component cables up in conjuction with the HDMI but only receive a blank screen with audio, but no video.

Any help is appreciated.

Post Number: 6
Have you tried playing around with the TV menu/audio settings. They may be set to analog by default. There should be an option to select digital or HDMI so that the set knows where to look for the audio signal. Good luck!

Username: Slw730

While looking for a solution to audio dropouts I saw your post. It appears we have a very similar setup: Cox HD DVR (SA 8240 HDC) box connected via HDMI directly to a Sony 46XBR6. I also have an optical digital audio cable connected from TV to a Yamaha HTR receiver.

I, too, had no audio when first setting up the TV. Initially the Cable box/DVR was was connected using component cables. All worked great, but when we changed to an HDMI cable there was video but no audio.

Hit the SETTINGS button twice on the Cox remote and scroll down to the AUDIO OUT setting--make sure you have HDMI selected and then ACCEPT CHANGES. This did the trick for us and I hope it does for you, too.

Username: Linkysys

Audio over HDMI has static after changing channels. handshake hdmi standards problem. I have a Comcast RNG110 HD set top box with HD starter.TV is Westinghouse LVM-42w2, 1080i/1080p, 6' gen HDMI cable. If I turn off the box for a few seconds, then turn it back on, sound is restored. static returns after changing channel. I returned the box to Comcast for another one and it has the same problem (audio with static over hdmi).Workaround was to run HDMI to DVI cable with separate rca audio cables. HDMI/DVI noticable picture improvement over component cables provided by comcast installer. Must manually enable 1080p in RNG110 setup menu (disabled by default).

Username: Kevlegs

I have a Sony VPCEC1S1E laptop & Panasonic TH42PZ708A.
I can watch DVD's and Blueray whilst connected with the HDMI cable with no probs but if I play a downloaded AVI I get the sound drop out.
Can't think what to do about it.

Username: The_buz

my volume control on my tv remote does not work when i installed my high speed hdmi cables from my hd pvr to my lg tv but the sound is great but must use my tv remote for sound any solutions

Username: Snorlax

Go into the PVR's audio menu and check that it set for variable. It might be on fixed.

Username: The_buz

my pvr is set for variable, do i still get stereo if i connect the red and white audio cables

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 15234
Edward

Yes but you will lose the surround sound!

You can programmed your PVR remote to control the TV sound, check in your pvr manual to get the good TV code!

Username: Jason86

Quick fix worked for me!

Hello, I am running a Mitsubishi WD-60735 60" DLP TV with a pace HD-DVR TDC 775D. They are connected with a good quality HDMI cable. I was having the same issue as everyone else, where the audio would cut out for a few seconds every minute or so. I made one call to my cable company (Armstrong Cable) and the tech sent an update and reset my HD-DVR cable box. It works great now. The whole call only took 3-5 minutes and the best part it was free. I'm glad I called before I spent money on a new HDMI cable or anything else!! I hope this helps!! Good luck everyone!!!

Username: Klhill

It is not your HDMI cable, nor is it your DirectTV. It is the digital switching in your receiver. Basically your receiver does not see the dvr and sat as one component. So, set up your HD/DVR as a sat receiver on input HDMI 1 and then set it up again as a DVR on the same input. When you watch a recorded show just switch to dvr on your menu, or if you are already on dvr switch to sat/tv. Yes it works both ways. Hope this helps you folks out.

Back to the drop-out issue. I haven't tried a DVD in a while, opting to play them in the DVD player. I should try again now that thre has been a firmware update on both my receiver and BD player, but I suspect similar performance. I recently picked up a Western Digital HD Live media player. Other than some Samba issues, in general the box has performed quite well. I have come across one video file sitting on my media server and I'm getting the audio drop out on that one file only....so far. The interesting bit, is that the audio drop out only happened when the show blacks out, so where a commercial would have been and it was consistent. Obviously a break in the audio stream within the file. It makes me wonder if DVD audio is less consistent than BD audio, I wonder if it happens when chapters change. I still blame the receiver though.

Username: Quacker99

1- While watching cable TV, most stations (not all), the Sony STR-DH820 AV receiver looses sync with audio signal, mutes sound, then it seems to search, sound comes back, wait awhile and it happens again, over and over on some stations. Bluray input work great, only the cable has trouble.

I think the receiver should not be so critical and respond so quickly to changes in cable optical audio signals. Direct audio from cable box (Scientific Atlanta) to TV 2ch, works OK on TV, optical to receiver intermittently does not.

This is a big problem since I watch TV allot.

When the receiver locks in the sound it is great.

My technical guess is that the cable network do allot of switching of data and maybe there is a mill second delay in the audio channel that causes the receiver to rescan for the correct codex, the cure is to slow down this response time, so it makes the acquisition time slower, at least you can avoid the audio drop outs.
2- HDMI output turns to Vertical lines, must power down the Sony STR-DH820 AV receiver unit to reset output (HDMI cable to DVI connector on my Sony KDF-60XBR950 LCD Projection TV), all inputs are analog, cable box, bluray player.

I had to connect my TV via the analog component output to cure the video problem, but I find no solution to the audio muting problem.

For this reason, unless a soft solution is found, I must return this receiver to Best Buy.

Username: Charms

Mine is even stranger. Using HDMI between Palsonic DVD player and brand new Panasonic LCD led 42in tv no sound on the language track. The test Movie is Australia. The music is loud but there is no voice. Then tried in 32 inch Panasonic tv with Panasonic DVD player. Same effect except there was audible crackling skipping. Video/audio Cable up for av connection and all works including music and voice. So switch back to brand new 42inch tv and Palsonic DVD and use av cabling. All works. The HDMI cable works perfectly with Appletv in both the tvs. Other movies work in HDMI but crackling still on 32in tv
So I am wondering having seen some comment on the Internet if the movie Australia has quad speaker set up and language choices in digital set up are on two channels and music is permanently on the other 2 channels. Anyway the Palsonic and Panasonic DVD players now have cables linking for both the av and HDMI and we can choose av if needed and put up with the lower picture quality. But some expert opinion on what is going wrong and if there is a simple setup change that will allow digital DVDs
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us