26-27" Grade A panel TV makers?

Username: Ajulius

Post Number: 1
Hello. I am looking for a 26-27" LCD TV. I realize that some of the cheaper clone brands use low grade panels and I would like to know which ones use Grade A panels that are very good?

Someone said that Westinghouse Digital used mostly A grade panels and some B grade panels from Chi Mei. Westinghouse appears to be hooked up with Chi Mei and appears to have a very bright and capable management team. Most of the other smaller companies I wish I could say the same. Every set appears to be an evolution and the company seems to really be trying although the build quality did NOT for the current models appear to be so great. Also someone said that they mostly use Grade A panels but some resellers get B grade? Which resellers get the A grade and how would one know what they are getting if all the reselllers claim the same model #s?

I realize that the Sharp's are probably really nice sets with the new ones coming out soon while also the Samsung 26"s are really nice as well (268W and 269D) and then you have the LG + Philips and Panasonics and others.

But out of the smaller vendors other than Westinghouse which is essentially using Chi Mei, who else is worth their weight? Many of the smaller companies like Scepter appear to be using lower grade panels. Also I read that companies like Sony AND Samsung may use the Chi Mei panels on the smaller sizes which means that those panels are getting much improved over previous generations.

What I am really looking for is a 26-27" set with HDTV Tuner (preferably cablecard if possible for a good price). The upcoming Westinghouse Digital 27" has really nice specs as well as the upcoming Syntax Olevia 26". Anyone know if Syntax is using Grade A panels?

I see alot of brands at IT vendors for LCD TVs that one never heard of as well however alot of them are really not the greatest like BenQ and others. What was disappointing was the Viewsonic 2750W. Viewsonic is usually an EXCELLENT quality LCD maker for monitors.

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
I was that person who wrote about the panel grades.

Top-level brands usually buy mixed grade "A" and grade "B" panels for special price drops promotions with a specific retail partner. Thouse TVs are not necessary second grade or inferior to the ones with grade "A" panels. But panels suppliers grade them depending on their own quality control judgement, and therefore they are priced lower than grade "A" panels.

As i mentioned before, some "B" panels might be defect-free while some "A" panels might have one or two stuck or dead pixel in them. The production and graduating process is time consuming, these factories do not have enough time or the personnel on hand to appropriate judge each panel., they have guidelines which helps them with the grade qualification.

The majority of the upcoming brands, including Syntax-brillian are all using grade "A" panels., only thouse unknown Junkie brands like Sunia, Worldwide, and the discount ones like Sceptre, Protron, Avion, Ultra and Maxent are using "B" and mostly C's., The quality of the panels determinate the supplier's price and their price determine the price you'll pay for them.

Syntax-brillian wants to become the next Sharp Aquos and will do everything in their power to reach that level. They already made their first corporate acquisition and will keep on doing whatever it takes to provide a quality but afforable product even if it means losing profits.

Sony use to purchase thier LCD panels from Chi Mei's Japanese factory and try to buy them out but Chi Mei refuse so they decided to join with Samsung.,Every new Sony consumer LCD and plasma use Samsung SDI panels., with the exception of the 42" Wega LCD FWD-42LX1 which is the only Sony using an LG-Philips panel.

Samsung has never, and will never buy any panel or any internal part from another supplier. They are an integreated manufacturer.

HP and Hitachi's upcoming 26", 32" and 37" LCDs are all using LG panels and the OEM is Tatung.

These are in the top of my list because the are the first sets to have integreated ATSC tuners, SD and PC photo viewing card slot, CableCARD slot, HDMI inputs and IEEE 1394 fire link inputs in the small to medium LCD size range.

Toshiba's 2005 27", 32" and 37" series have similar features and inputs as the new HPs and Hitachis., They are assemble in Thailand by Orion using Chi Mei panels.

Philips LCDs only use LG-Philips panels and are assemble at Philips plants around the word., only a few models are assemble at LG's South Korean LCD plant.

Panasonic LCDs use to be manufacture by Hitachi, but when Hitachi and Fujitsu split the LCD production line was shut down. Panasonic now relies on Chi Mei for their small 14" to 20" 4:3 LCDs panels, the OEM for thouse sets is Quantas. Their 19" to 32" are fully assemble by them in Japan, no word of who's the panel supplier.

BenQ gets their panels from Acer's AU Optoelectronics. {Acer's is the parent company of BenQ, AOpen and AUO.} BenQ is also an OEM and has supplied all Japanese brands with finished LCDs.

ViewSonic orders all LCD panels from Samsung SDI, the OEM for the N2750W is Teco Electric and Machinery Co., Ltd.. I haven't heard any complaints regarding the ViewSonics, not even this particular model., What seems to be the problem with it?

Post Number: 2
Actually this is NOT true. Samsung has been using chi mei panels on SMALLER sizes for awhile according to this article and just signed up a contract for 32".

They would rather use the production plants I gather for the larger sizes which achieve alot more profit. Also I gather the Canon stepper problems and other production related issues and Samsung wants more product out the door.

http://www.forbes.com/infoimaging/feeds/infoimaging/2005/07/20/infoimagingafx_20 05_07_20_AAF_0179-6741-ORD.PRD.TWN.KOR.CMP.TLE..html

On the 2750W, it CANT be a Samsung sourced panel because Samsung does NOT make a 27" panel. The factory doesnt make substrates in that size. I dont know about other sizes however. The picture quality was NOT on par with other LCD TVs and was very disappointing. All the reviews say the same thing.

As to Panasonic I know that at least some panels are sourced from Sharp though I do not know as to which models.

The whole point remains though that alot of the makers are NOW using OEMs to make the product for the LCD TV's to keep costs down like Toshiba started to do for its smaller CRT TVs.

Westinghouse Digital on the surface while seems to have good specs, seems to lack things like BBE + SRS on the new 27" model since it doesnt mention such in the current specs. However I cant tell right now.

And Syntax appears to have BBE and SRS on the new 26" model coming out but does not have the HDTV tuner like the Westinghouse. As to energy star, the energy star website doesnt say it, but Syntax does indeed say its energy star compliant too. I wrote to Westinghouse for confirmation on featureset. Still no responce.

Yes I am aware of the Syntax Brillian deal. Its a great team. But as of now the current Syntax models of which they are trying to get rid of do not have the picture quality of the Sharp. Syntax also does NOT have the design of the sharp which is an exceptionally put together package and is very high class looking as well as giving a really high quality image so its a tough act to follow.

I also heard that the Sharp's have interchangable backlight for when the 60,000 hours is up. Any other models have this feature?

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
Ok whatever, I'm the REAL expert with REAL industry contacts around here, not you.

Is not about the Syntax cosmetic design but the reliabiliity they offer.

If you know so much, was there a point for you to request any advice you already "know"? Next time before typing, read all the previous threads for your answer like you already had.

Post Number: 3
You had some information I did NOT know HOWEVER you were incorrect on 2 points:

Samsung does NOT have 27" panels because of the substrate size. Samsungs panels are 26" panels as evidenced per

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TFTLCD/common/product_list.aspx?family_cd=LCD04

You also claimed Samsung does not acquire panels from other suppliers which is also incorrect. Samsung does NOT like to say so officially however. However I posted the link for the news article and the source.

I am thinking those panels are being used on the Costco models because they use different substrate sizes. Obviously a different panels means a different size factor because of the substrate and so that could account for it. Costco does not as of yet have a 32" model in the 7W series and that would make sense (if I see a 32" in Costco with the 7W series then its most likely the other panel maker)

I thought your answers were for the most part well thoughtout and good, just that you were incorrect on 2 points. You had some info I didnt know, and I had some info you didnt know.

Post Number: 4
The Syntax is one of the better low end TVs but the picture is not yet on par with the Sharp at least with the models that are out now. New models are due out soon and things could indeed change. As to design, alot of buyers care about style. Syntax is going to be assembling TVs in the USA as well and we shall see how their quality control turns out to be. Japanese quality control is the standard for the industry. The fit and finish on those Sharps as well as picture quality is best in class but they come at a much higher cost.

Syntax is definitely a company in the industry to keep an eye out for as well as Westinghouse.

I have no doubt you are right on the OEMs however and some of what you said I did not know. And it is very possible that Viewsonic is indeed sourcing from Samsung BUT on the 2750W it just cant be as Samsung's panel is a 26" not a 27".

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us