VCR recording with Digital Cable

Username: Bluebaby101

Post Number: 4
I had
Basic cable
Cable ready tv ( no cable box hooked up)
DVD-VCR player

I used to be able to record one channel and watch another.

The other day I got
Digital Cable
and a cable box
with my dvd-vcr hooked up

Now I see that I can't watch one channel and record another with the digital cable.

I am going crazy. I am ready to get rid of this digital cable

Any ideas?

Cable boy
Unregistered guest
You absolutley can. It's just a matter of how difficult it is. What you need to do probably print this. The cable that comes out of the wall you need to run to a 2 way splitter. then one end of the splitter goes to the IN on the back of the cable box. The cable then goes from the OUT on the calbe box to the IN on the VCR. The cable then goes From the OUT on the vcr to one end of an A/B Switch..... The other end of the splitter goes to the other end of the A/B switch. .... then the out on the A/B switch goes to the in on the back of the tv..... Yeah, I know. The only rule is that when you are recording you have to be watch ing channels 2-99. You cannot record one digital channel and watch another digital channel. TV and VCR stays on channel 3 all the time(unless you are in an area where they should always be on 4).

Username: Tiggers_karen

Post Number: 1
I have a TV, VCR,DVD and digital cable. everything works except I can"t record on the VCR. What am I doing wrong.PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1599
Connect the box to the VCR with RCA cables and set the VCR to line.

Username: Whacker

Perhaps Cable Boy or David Massey can take a shot at this question.

I have analog cable, and I'm doing fine.

My sister in Chicago used to have analog, now Comcast is forcing a change to all digital cable boxes, with the usual partial analog feed. Our habit in the past had been (due to both of us being TV addicts) to hang two VCRs off the analog cable line. In my case, without a cable box, I could do it by just connecting them in series in front of the TV (and probably as many as signal strength would allow). With my sister, we used to have one VCR before the cable box and one after, so that they could watch (and record) a cable-box-decoded-only channel while recording channels before the cable box that weren't or didn't need to be decoded.

Now with the digital cable box, the box is like a live network device (I'm supposing) that communicates back to the cable company, requiring bi-directional capabilities on the cable line. This was not the case with analog. What's happening is, you can still connect a VCR before the cable box and receive/record channels that are still run analog/unencoded, BUT this prohibits the digital cable box from communicating with the cable company (network), and within a few minutes, any digital channel you may have been watching downstream of the cable box turns into a "not authorized" black screen. If you hook things up with no interruption before the cable box, everything restores back. But at my sister's house, they want to be able to do as before.

Is there any way to maintain the digital cable box's bidirectional capability but still have a VCR upstream of the cable box? I realize you could have a split before the box into the first VCR, but we don't want to have to have a separate TV to monitor it through. Any suggestions welcome, and I am capable of building or devising hookups and circuitry that would route the signal as needed. Thanks!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1721
Split the incoming cable to a VCR and the box, then connect the output of the box to the second VCR. For recording, RCAs are better than coax, but you'll need coax for watching TV with the VCR off. If the TV has RCA inputs, you can use them from one or both VCRs. If not use an A/B switch on the VCRs output.

Username: Bmanflyer

Ok I have a Samsung HLR 5067 tv and a samsung VCR/DVD combo. I just hooked up digital cable using a cable card no box can not get VCR to record any ideas

Username: Waynef

Post Number: 2
Hi - unfortunately I only saw this thread after I posted my message this morning. I have a similar problem/reaction as Karen. But this morning, I played with it further and I think that you can record analog 2-99 on the VCR (and watch something else through the cable box) without using a splitter. I put the RF input from the cable into the VCR first, and then the VCR to the cable box and then the cable box to the TV. So, in 'VCR' mode on the VCR you can record from 2-99 and as long as the VCR-to-TV input is a line input, still watch digital channels (or I suppose analog too) through the cable box. If someone is an expert out there, would they confirm this?

HOWEVER, and referring back to one question in my new post, I would be appalled if there is no way to record from one digital while watching another (other than by renting the DVR box from the cable company which we don't want to do just yet). Is this really true? I thought that maybe I couldn't do it now because I had an old VCR/DVD unit and that if I invested in a newer one that maybe could receive that digital signal independently.

Please would someone comment again on this. Because if it can't be done, then that means that one needs to go to DVR to accomplish this?

Thanks for your help,

Anonymous

Hi,
I had Basic cable (no cable box hooked up) & I have a DVD-VCR player/recorder. I just got a cable box, now I can't copy anything. I tried and tried all different ways. Is there something else I need to be able to do this or is there something that might be set wrong?

Thanks,
toottoot

Gold Member

Post Number: 2020
Connect the box to the recorder with RCA cables and set the recorder to line.

Unregistered guest
I have a sony tv, a sony dvd/vcr, an emerson vcr, (both vcr and dvd/vcr ability to record), and comcast digital cable box. I used to be able to rcord from tv or other vcr. Took out vcr player then was not able to record, when pushed record would eject. now trying to hitch up vcr again and do not know how to connect all. Have family videos that i need to copy and cannot. Please help. Don't remember how to run all the cables. thank you

Anonymous

I have an SA4200 digital cable box and want to connect it to a Hi-Fi VCR & Stereo TV. When I had analog I used an A/B switch to record one program and watch another. Can I still use the A/B switch with the SA4200 and if so how do I hook it up?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2148
You can't watch a digital channel while recording a digital channel. You can watch analog channels while recording a digital channel. Connect the box to the VCR with RCAs and set the VCR to line to record from the box. Split the incoming cable to the box and the VCR, use the VCR tuner to record analog channels. Connect coax from the VCR to the TV and you can watch analog channels while recording a digital channel.

Unregistered guest
Since buying a new TV almost a year ago - I've been searching for the answer on how to reconnect my new TV to my cable box and VCR so that I could record a dital channel while watching an analog channel. Then I ran across this forum-lo and behold I found my answer. Finally I can get all set up again. THANK YOU to all of you who took the time to answer these questions. You have been a God send.

Username: Crazycelt59

Tampa, Fl

I want to thank all you video wizzes for your help. I followed all your directions on the "digital box, vcr/dvd, tv set up. I am thrilled to say I can watch one show and tape a second. I have two more questions. How can I set the timer to record shows on different channels? And, on the TV/VCRs without cable box (straight in from wall) will I still have problems recording because of the digital vs. analog system?

Username: Titusm1

Baltimore, Maryland USA

Hi,
I just got Digital cable, I have a Samsung VCR, Trutech TV with DVD Combo, I tried hooking all three together with either Coax Cable or Stero Cables and all I receive on the TV is a Blue Screen, the VCR will play a tape and the TV will play a DVD but neither device will show a cable channel or sound. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mike

Gold Member

Post Number: 2835
Connect the box to the VCR with RCAs and set the VCR to line.

Username: Clueless101

Wenipeg, Monitoba Canada

I have a magnovox tv/dvd combo and I have a digital cabel box!!! I have a vcr that I want to record with and I can't figure out how to hook it up. If I hook it straight to the tv (from the front) I can watch video's but cant record and I want to know how to hook it up from the back a digital cabel box and be able to record somthing!!!

Username: Lrmonsters

I have digital cable. I just bought a trutech tv with dvd, and can't get the cable remote to work with it. There are no codes, and the search doesn't come up with any more. Any suggestions?

Username: Yanksluver

I just had digital cable installed in my apartment. I have a Sony DVD/VCR combo. I want to be able to set the timer on the VCR to record when I am not home. However, right now I am only able to press record and tape the channel that is on. The timer recording doesn't work. I don't even care about taping the digital channels. Channels 2-99 or whatever is fine, but I just can't set the timer.

Is there anything that can be done to solve this problem? Thanks for any help!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3019
To record analog channels, split the incoming cable to the box and the combo, then autoprogram the channels on the combo. To record digital channels, connect the box to the combo with RCAs and set the recorder on line.

Username: Phyl

Roseville, MI USA

I'm probably being redunant, but ... I have an old Philips TV with only one cable port, a DVD player, VCR, Digital Cable Box, RF Modulator & cable internet provider. Is it possible to use a splitter/AB Box to record something other than the channel on the cable box when I already have a splitter between wall & TV/computer ? Here's my current set up:

* Coaxial cable from the wall to a splitter

* Coaxial cable from splitter to the Cable Box 'IN FROM ANTENNA'

* Coaxial cable from splitter to computer

* Coaxial cable from the VCR 'IN FROM ANTENNA OR CABLE' to the Cable Box 'OUT TO TV/VCR'

* Coaxial cable from VCR 'TO TV' to RF modulator

* Coaxial cable from the TV to Modulator 'OUT TO TV'

* DVD Player to RF Modulator with the yellow, red & white composite cable

Thanks !

Username: Silentwaters

hi all,
im new here.
question: I recently got a satelite box from dish. i wanted to record something coming on tv, but somehow i am not able to connect my vcr/dvd player with the tv and satelite. i can only watch one at a time, either tv or vcr video.

can anyone help?
thanks!

Username: Hweber75

I have the following: TV, VCR, DVD Player, and now a Digital Cable Box. And of course I cannot record anything on the VCR now. Very frustrating. Can someone please tell me how I should connect all devices? Thank you in advance.

Username: Rubyburns

Nashville, TN US

Post Number: 6
>>>To record analog channels, split the incoming cable to the box and the combo, then autoprogram the channels on the combo. To record digital channels, connect the box to the combo with RCAs and set the recorder on line.<<<

I want to record analog channels with my VCR - wouldn't adding a splitter to the incoming cable line degrade the signal or interfere with any information being sent back to Comcast. Just installed DVR DCT3412/digital service and have HDTV with VCR/DVD combo. Can't record through VCR now.

Thanks - Ruby

p.s. could you explain why the tech put a cable from the cable box "RF out" to the "Ant. in" IF there was no chance of making recordings?

Username: Barriebob

We just got comcast digital cable. Then we hooked up the VCR (RCA cables connecting to the cable box. Now when the VCR is on, the television picture jumps all around.

Also, I see references to "set VCR on line." How do you do that?

Username: Drnojd

Mpls, Mn

I just got a digital cable box and it took a lot of trial and error to figure out a setup that lets me record one channel & watch another and that also allows me to record digital channels (though you can't record one digital channel while watching another digital channel). I tried using an A/B switch and just couldn't get it to work like I wanted. Here's what did work (I apologize for the length of this but I thought it would be helpful to be very detailed):

The cable cord (coaxial cable) from the wall is attached to a splitter. (I use a three-way splitter because I have a regular VCR and a VCR/DVD combo hooked up to my TV). From the splitter, one cable is hooked up to the digital cable box, one is hooked up to the combo, and one is hooked up to the VCR. Since both VCRs are hooked up directly to the cable lines, they can each tune in and record all the analog channels (i.e., all the channels I had before getting digital cable).

On the digital cable box, I have a coaxial cable going from the box (attached to the antenna out jack) to the antenna in jack on my TV. Because of this connection, turning on channel 3 on the TV receives all the channels (analog & digital) from the box.

Also from the digital cable box, I have RCA lines (the red, white & yellow cords) going from the line out jacks on the box to the line in jacks on the combo. I then have RCA lines going from the line out jacks on the combo to the line in jacks on the back of my TV. (I have the other VCR attached to the second set of line in on jacks on the back of the TV, but it has no connection to the digital cable box and I can't watch or record digital channels on that VCR).

On the combo, I can watch and record digital channels by setting the VCR input to line setting, and by using the digital cable box to select the channel. Setting your VCR to the line setting just means that, instead of setting a channel to watch/record, you are setting the VCR to watch/record whatever is coming into the VCR (via the RCA cables) on the line in jacks on the back of the VCR. The method of setting the VCR to line varies depending on the VCR--& some older VCRs may not have a line feature. On my combo, the remote has an input select button that sets the VCR to line. Once it's set to line, I can push the record button & it records the channel that's set on the digital cable box. (In order to set the VCR timer to record from line on the combo, when setting the channel to record, I have to scroll down to channel 01 & then down one more and it sets line as the channel). On my other VCR, I have to enter the menu, go to an input selection menu, and choose A/V rear as my input. (In order to do a timer recording from line on that VCR, I have to push in 00 as my channel selection and it records from A/V rear). You may have to play around a bit with your VCR menus and/or remote buttons--or read your manual--to figure out how it works on your VCR. If you are watching or recording from the line setting on the VCR, you can't punch in a channel number on the VCR--if you do, you'll leave the line setting and go back to tuning in the channel through the cable coxial cord.

If I'm recording an analog channel on either or both VCRs, I can still go to channel 3 on my TV and watch any channel I can get on the digital cable box. If I'm recording a digital channel on my combo (by having it set to line), I can't change channels on the digital cable box, but I can still watch any analog channel through my other VCR.

I hope this is helpful.

Username: Radkamp

My mom got digital cable hooked up yesterday to an older tv. She got her vcr hooked up to it too. Comcast hooked up a small digital box and said that she would have to use her vcr remote to set the timer to pre-record her shows she records. I can't get it to work. I can't get the screen to come up where she would even set the timer for the vcr. Does anyone know how I would do this? Do I have to get a splitter, and do I have to set the comcast remote to aux before I start using the vcr remote? Thanks?

Username: Dbvirago

I have a similar problem to many here. Trying to record one channel while watching another, or using timer programming. It seems all the anwers use a splitter to send analog signal to the vcr. This seems to work, but what happens when analog goes away?

Like others, I can't beleive there isn't a digital solution. We've been doing this for years, now 'new' technology makes it impossible?

Username: Kraj

Hi all,
I have analog cable and just bought a DVD/VCR combo (Toshiba SD-V295KU). I finally unpacked it today to set it up and would like to be able to watch one channel while recording another. however the DVD/VCR doesn't have a coaxial cable input and I am at a lost as to what to do.... normally I would just go coax cable to VCR then VCR to TV (either coax or RCA) but I can't do that anymore!!! Help!!!

Mpls, Mn

AJ: It sounds like you got a combo that doesn't have a tuner and there's no way to tune in the tv channels. Because all tv broadcasts are switching to digital broadcasting in 2009, manufacturers are required to make the newer machines either with a digital tuner or no tuner at all. The digital tuners are more expensive, and so a lot of the less expensive machines currently in stores don't have any tuner at all. The only way to record tv shows on such a machine is to attach something else with a tuner (e.g., a cable box or another vcr) to the line input jacks on the machine, and then use the other device to tune in the channels. (If you have an older vcr that still tunes in the channels but doesn't record so well, you might want to use that). It is still possible in some stores to get older models of some devices that still have the analog tuners, but they're getting harder and harder to find.

Username: Eelkat

Help? Memorex MVD4544 VCR will not record

We have our TV hooked up to Road Runner cable, and had recorded some shows into our cable box, planning to save them to a VCR at a later date, because our old VCR had stopped working. So, today I just bought a Memorex MVD4544 VCR-DVD combo. I hooked it up to the cable box via Road Runner cable's instructions, and than copied the recorded shows off the cable box to a blank VHS tape in the new VCR.

Two hours later it stopped recording, supposedly done, but when we played back the tape it was completly blank. We retried again with a differant tape, just in case there was a problem with the tape, but once again, nothing was recorded on the second tape either.

Next I figured, maybe there was a problem copying off the cable box, so we tried recording a "live" show off the TV instead. Still nothing.

Finally we hooked it up to a totally differant TV (one without the cable box), and tried recording a show off of that tv instead. Still nothing.

It plays prerecorded tapes beautifully. I checked to see if there was a playback problem, but it plays them fine. It just com[pletely refuses to record anything.

So my question is, has anyone else had this problem? Do you know how to fix it?

Because this is a brand new VCR, should I take it back to the store? If so, should I exchange it for another of the same item, or should I get my money back and buy a differant make/model?

or... both tvs use only digital cable, cause we live in an area were you can't get channels otherwise, but only one tv has the box on it

Post Number: 3

I think I understand what you are saying here, however, what do you mean by "line"... what is the line?}

Bronze Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 22
Which channel are you recording the VCR on?
You have it set wrong if all you are getting is static.

The "line" are the RCA video/audio input sets for the VCR.

however that wouldn't work on the tv that doesn't have a cable box on it.

Post Number: 5
Which channel are you recording the VCR on?
You have it set wrong if all you are getting is static.

not getting static... just a blank tape like nothing was recorded at all

when copying the shows already recorded onto the cable box there are no channels on cause we wasn't recording off the tv.

when the tv is on, it's turned to the channle we are trying to record

the vcr itself has no channle control

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
The VCR has channel control. All VCRs have channel control.

You are not understanding what I am trying to say.

Post Number: 7

The "line" are the RCA video/audio input sets for the VCR.

so if the "line" in that sentace is the VCR that means that sentace says:

you plug the cable box into the VCR and the VCR into the cable box, but each only has those 2 plugs, so where does the tv plug into

I'm confused

Post Number: 8
where do I find the channel control for the vcr? it just says play rec rw ff ejct ; I don't see a channel control anywhere

Post Number: 9
just looked in the owner manual and I can't find anything about channel control in that either

actualy it doesn't say much of anything in that at all, basicly its 12 pages of how to plug the cord into your tv and than set up the clock. doesn't really say anything else

Post Number: 10
okay... disregard my last couple of comments... I figured out what you ment, changed things aroung and tried again and it's recording fine now!

YIPPIE!

I guess I had it set up wrong.

Thanks for your help, I don't think I ever would have figured it out with out you guys' help

HUGGS ALL AROUND!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28

Username: Old_timer_81

LYNN, MA USA

I have hooked up a new VCR (memorex MVD4544) to my Sony KV-20FV10 TV.The basic input is from a Verizon FiOs TV (STB) set top box The VCR does not have coaxial connections so I had to connect the coaxial input line to the single coaxial connection on the TV.Initialy I could not record, but following directions from this forum I conected an additional set of RCA cables from the STB box to the the VCR. Now with the VCR set to AV1 I can record.Thank you very much.
NEXT PROBLEM!
I can find no way to program the VCR to record using a timer function.If I can't record the soaps for my wife while we are out I will be in big trouble.
Does the memorex MVD4544 have this capability. Is there another brand that will do timer recording. I hope someone can help}

Username: Thebqe

Francis - don't know if you solved problem but here's my problem and two solutions:

I had to get a new cable box (Scientific Atlant Explorer 4200) in order to continue getting channels I used to get without the box. With the cable I get many more channels. For two weeks I couldn't figure out how to use VCR with the new box. After several trial and error connections I found two (non-perfect) workable solutions - each with their pros/cons. I am using Hookup No. 1 for now

Hookup No. 1
If you hook up your existing incoming cable to the cable box, then from cable box to your VCR, and finally from VCR to your TV (all using coax cables) here's what you must do to record programs on the VCR
First: you must ALWAYS set your VCR and TV to channel 3. Then access the VCR programming menu by turning off the cable box (if my cable box is on, it won't allow me to see my VCR); press the TV/VCR button (on the VCR or it's remote) to "VCR". Then go to your VCR timer menu. Program in the dates and times for your desired programs, but always set it to record Channel 3. Your VCR can only record the channel that the cable box is set to.

So then how do I get the cable box to change to the channels I want when I'm asleep or away from home? A very good question - my cable box (and I suspect your cable box also) has 8 "VCR" timers available in its Settings Menu. I discovered that these "timers" will make the cable box switch to the channel you designate on the date and time that you program in the cable box. So, program a timer to switch to the desired channel to coincide with each of the timers you set on your VCR. It's double work to program a cable box and a VCR to record your programs but it works for me. The big drawback is that you cannot watch a different channel than the one you are recording. Right now for me, that's not much of a drawback because everything's on reruns and I have no conflicts. If conflicts are a problem, you should try Hookup 2, which has different disadvantages.

Hookup No. 2
Incoming coax cable goes to VCR first, then cable box, then TV set.
The VCR will tape different programs as before (independent of what the cable box is showing). The drawback (for me) is there are stations that can only be picked up by the cable box so my VCR cannot record them. My workaround if there are two shows that interest me at the same time - is to watch the show that only the cable box can receive and record the one that the VCR can receive. At least I can then watch and record two different programs.

There must be a way that I can insert an A-B switch or splitter and get the best of both hookups but I haven't gotten there yet.

Username: My_my_my

hi, i have a sony dvd/vcr, model SLV-D380P and i want to record on satellite. also is a stereo rf modulator the same as a cable box or satellite receiver.

Username: Dvrrules

Diamond Bar, CA United States

Francis: I got the same Memorex MVD4544.

After reading the manual cover to cover (except for the Bilingual stuff) I see that there ISNT A timer to set up recordings.

But, what they do have is whats called OTR (one touch recording) It begins recording immedately. You can choose to record from 30 min up to 8 hrs, by pressing the rec button over and over.

However they elude to timer setting but absolutely NO instructions for it, nor are there any buttons for it or not an any of the menus. I've gone over it for 2 hrs with such frustration. I am going to return it. I want that function.

Username: Allisanna

I have a Comcast digital cable box and a VCR hooked up to my TV. I have the cable running into the box. Then from the box to the VCR. Then from the VCR to the TV.

I'm having trouble with programming the VCR to tape something when I'm not home. I have the TV and VCR set on channel 3. I have the digital box set on the channel I want to record and I leave it turned on. I programmed the VCR to record channel 3. I've tried this with the VCR input set to channel 3 and also with the input set to Line 1. When I play back the recording it's just snow.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 138
Allisanna,

Looks to me that you are doing it right.

When you just watching TV, do you leave your TV on channel 3, and use the remote for the cable box to change channels?

What I would suggest you do is to set your VCR to record something while you are home. Doesn't matter what. Just set to record something at 8pm or something.
And see what happens.

LK, Thanks for your reply. Yes I keep the TV on channel 3 and use the box remote to change channels. When I tape something when I'm home, I tape via channel 3 and have the input set to Line 1. Everything tapes fine that way.

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
I tape via channel 3 and have the input set to Line 1.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Your VCR is set to channel 3 or is set to Line 1?

What you need to do is to program your VCR to record something while you are home. Don't touch any buttons. Just let it try to record and see what happens. My guess is that you are programming your VCR to record the wrong channel.

I have the input set to Line 1 when I tape things myself.

I've programmed the VCR several times today trying many different things and all I ever got was snow on the tape.

Mpls, Mn

When you've been setting the timer recording on the VCR, have you been telling it to record channel 3, or to record Line 1? It should be Line 1.

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
Exactly!

If you are manually setting the VCR to Line 1 to record, then that is what you should be setting it for when you use the timer.

Setting the VCR to record Line 1 worked.

Thanks so much.

Username: Maryg

Hi, new to this forum. I just got new cable boxes from my cable company. I have a "big" cable box that includes the full features (on demand programming, etc.), and a "small" box with just a digital cable tuner. I asked for two boxes because I figured that might be the best way to record programs. Maybe I thought wrong? My thinking is that I can program my VCR to channel 3, set the time, then hook up the small box and tune it to the channel I want to record. That way, I can watch and record at the same time, and when I'm away, the small box will be set to the channel to record (which makes it impossible to record more than one channel unless I'm there to change the tuner channel on the box). Would this set-up work? Or is it better just to use the one "big" box, since it has the capability to change the tuner channel on a timed basis (which I wasn't aware of until I read this forum, and I'm assuming my Comcast box will do that). I will use a splitter to split up the signal from the main coax. Does this sound like a reasonable plan, or is it something that will not prove workable? I haven't activated with the cable company yet, so I'm not sure what will happen once I hook the coax to a splitter and hook up both boxes. I'm wondering if I should maybe return the smaller box to the cable company if I'm thinking wrong.

Mary

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
MaryG,

What type of cables are you planning on connecting between your small cable box and your VCR?

I am thinking that you need to use three cables usually color coded as yellow, white, and red with RCA plugs at both ends.

If so, you need to set your VCR to record from LINE 1.

The small cable box only has coax in and coax out. So, I was planning to get a coax splitter. The line from the wall would go into the splitter, then I'd run a short coax cable from the splitter to the small box and big box into their coax inputs. Then, I'd run a short length of coax cable to from the small cable box out to the VCR coax in (and do the same with the big cable box out/TV coax in).

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
There is no harm in trying your idea.

It is hard to say because I don't know what that small cable box is doing.

Is it converting digital to analog or what?

Nonetheless, just give it a try, and see what happens.

Username: Bobbing

Eugene, OR USA

I am trying to set up my Mom's system after her assisted living home was switched to Comcast's new digital system.

I have the diagram from Comcast on the new set up which seems simple.

She bought the splitter and an A/B switch at Radio Shack but the splitter is RCA In RCA Out. She needs an A/B switcher (not just a modulator)that will take a coax in and send two RCA signals out.

Any ideas where to find one I have googled and founder modulators but not a splitter. It seems silly to have a set up with a splitter, a modulator and then an A/B switch.

Thank you,
Richard

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
Both the 2-way splitter and the A/B switch in the diagram are for RF signals ie coaxial cables.

This is the 2way splitter:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3340240 that the diagram is referring to.

This is the A/B switch:
http://www.amazon.com/PHILIPS-PH61007-A-B-Switch/dp/B0001GGXMW
that the diagram is referring.

The diagram is only useful to the extent that your equipment has exactly the same connectors.

The better thing to do is to tell us what video connections are on your mother's TV and VCR.

Username: Redmondgemm

Redmond, WA United States

This forum is incredibly helpful. It sounds like the most common problem is the inability to tape one channel with a VCR while watching another channel through another source. Sounds reasonable enough to me in this age of technological advancements. It shouldn't be this hard! I'm considering getting a new DIGITAL CABLE READY TV that can use a CABLE CARD instead of Comcast's set-top or converter box. From what I'm reading, this allows me to watch TV through the actual TV set, not a separate box, using the TV's remote control, etc. I'm also reading that it means I can still use the BEST feature that this transition is eliminating for many fans: PICTURE-IN-PICTURE!

My question: if I do this, will I be able to continue using my VCR to tape shows the same way I do now if I have a cable card to receive digital cable channels? I'm replacing my analogue VCR with one with a built-in digital tuner but I'm not sure that even matters. Or does it?

I have a feeling that DVRs will be the ultimate and universal solution once all the dust settles. We will become nostalgic for the time when we could program and record multiple shows on multiple channels for FREE on a simple VHS tape that could be carried from one room to another. The good old days...

Thanks in advance for any feedback anyone can offer.

Username: Maryalice

I have 2 tvs (old style rabbit ears antennas). Each has a vcr hooked up to it. One tv has a digital convertor box, the second tv is a digital tv. I have successfully watched most digital as well as all analog channels on both tvs for a few months. I have successfully timer recorded analog programs on the vcrs that are attached to both tvs. I cannot timer record a single digital channel on either vcr. The timer record menu for the vcrs give me only two digits for a channel, i.e. I can put in 04, but I can not put in 04-1. I can't figure out how to handle this. Thank you

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
You can try until you turn blue but you cannot use your VCR's tuner to record a digital program like 04-1. Simple as that.

What you can do is connect either your digital TV's video out or the digital converter box's video out to LINE IN on your VCR, and set your VCR to record on LINE IN.

Not sure if this is helpful, but Ifound a basic coax splitter at Big Lots for 99 cents. And I can hook up that second cable box to my VCR. It works if I only want to record a single channel on my VCR (I set the VCR tuner to 3, and program it on the TV using the Aux 1 channel & RCA cables, then set the cable box tuner to the channel I want to record). I can now watch one channel and tape anothe channel at the same time by doing this. I just can't program things in advance on more than one channel if I'm not there to change the cable box tuner.

Username: Maryalice

Thank you for your responses.

Username: Drumstick

Downingtown, Pa USA

Hoping David or Cable boy can help with this. Just got Comcast digital cable and the TV set I have my VCR hooked up to does not have the inputs for RCA's. Will it still be possible to record digital or analog signals using the VCR, which does have ports for RCA's, using timer recording? Thanks.

Username: Bobbing

Eugene, OR USA

I posted in April with the same issue everyone else has. This is my experience/solution.

After speaking to and online "chatting" with Comcast techs I was told they would send someone out to my Mom's place.

They told us that the only solution they had was to use a second cable box, one for the TV, one for the VCR. She was eligible for two free boxes so it didn't cost anything. They even replaced her Radio Shack splitter and RCA cables with theirs at no cost. This is inelegant but it works.

The new set up is a minor hassle but worth it for Mom.

You set the VCR to Channel 3, set up the start and stop times and tune the cable box to the channel you want to record. This does not effect the TV set up at all as it has a separate cable box so you can watch anything you want on it.

As all the boxes are identical and all remotes can control all the boxes you have to be sure to cover the IR receiver light on the box connected to the VCR to avoid changing the channel accidentally.

It takes some experimenting to find what will block the signal and will let you remove it to set a channel when you record. A flap made from electricians tape worked. It would also work to have the VCR's cable box in a location that is blocked by an object so you had to move it when you wanted to program a recording or stand right in front of the cable box to set the recorded channel.

My advice, call your cable provider and ask how many boxes you are eligible to get free, (I was able to get two free as well, one for my second TV) or how much more an extra one would cost.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2483

quote:

Hoping David or Cable boy can help with this. Just got Comcast digital cable and the TV set I have my VCR hooked up to does not have the inputs for RCA's. Will it still be possible to record digital or analog signals using the VCR, which does have ports for RCA's, using timer recording? Thanks.

Yes you can, provided:

1. The VCR is wired in between the cable box and the TV. In other words, the cable from the wall goes into the cable box, then cable out from there into the VCR, and then from the VCR into the TV.

2. You select the channel you want to record on the box, and do not turn the cable box's power off.

3. Set the timer on the VCR for the appropriate start/stop times to record channel 3 or 4, depending on the channel you normally use to view the cable box channels.

4. During this time, the TV's power does not have to be on.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4130
Does the VCR have an RF input/output? You'll get better audio/video quality if you use the RCA inputs on the VCR and set the VCR on line to record.

Username: Netmouse

I got everything working near-perfectly. First - My Panasonic VCR booklet spells all this out if you put a digital box into the mix. The "what you can or cannot do" things are 1) for cable to box to VCR to TV - you cannot watch one channel and record another, 2) for cable to VCR to box to TV -- You can view any scrambled channel and use VCR remote to control channels. You cannot record scrambled channels, 3) for the two box configuration -- You can record and view both scrambled and unscrambled channels. You cannot view channel other than the one selected for recording nor do a timer recording of a channel unless you select it at the cable box.

So I do none of the above. I use my old remote from when I was analog to turn to channel 3 to view all channels via the digital box and I use the remote that came with the digital. And I turn to channel 91 like I used to do (per the TV booklet -- an old GE/Thompson) for all the VCR stuff, and use the old remote. The VCR does only "see" the analog channels, so I lose the few channels that have been dropped by the cable company (I do not subscribe to any scrambled channels like HBO). Someday the analog channels will all die, but so should my TV and I'll get new equipment. I can now use the 3 input jacks on the TV (that require channel 91 on TV) instead of the cable antenna jack and get better clarity. I also have a switch box from Radio Shack at the VCR to change to the DVD. So the configuration is: cable to splitter with one branch to box and one to VCR. Then box out to TV antenna. And VCR / DVD each to the switch box, and the switch box to the TV's 3 input jacks. I just am missing a handful of channels that are no longer available via analog and for me that is OK.

Username: Aces1820

Completely new here, looking for some help.
We have RCN cable, which turned off their analog signal and required us to get cable boxes. I used their online manual to figure out where on their programming guide to find the record feature, but I don't know how to use it.
Our current configuration is: Coaxial cable to cable box, RCA cable between cable box and VCR, RCA cable between VCR and TV. There might also be coaxial cables between cable box and TV, we've had so much trouble with RCN that we didn't want to mess with anything they put in.
I work second shift, so I'd like to be able to tape prime time TV, but different shows than the people at home might be watching. It says on the screen that pops up on the TV to "Set VCR timer" and the frequency which we'd like to tape the show. When I accept from that screen, it tells me to "program your VCR manually for this recording to be successful". Does this mean I cannot record anything but what the people at home are currently watching?
Is there any solution to this? It sounds like a lot of the recommendations are to split the cable, but that only works if you still get an analog signal, which we do not. We don't have a whole lot of money to invest in all sorts of equipment or RCN's DVR service and it really frustrates me that we were strongarmed into these cable boxes and will end up paying more for less in this case.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2513
­
Does this mean I cannot record anything but what the people at home are currently watching?

Yes. Besides a DVR, your only solution is to get a second cable box. It would be for your recording purposes, while the original box would be for as usual general use.

Username: Mok2009

Toronto, Ontario Canada

I have a Samsung TV, Panasonic VCR (approx 10 yrs old) and digital cable box. I cannot timer record programs. The cable guy told me that in order to record programs I would have to program the cable box and the vcr which I did and it does record but when i go to play back what i have recorded the picture is distorted/snowy and there is no voice. i think i am doing something wrong. can someone please help me. }

Silver Member

Post Number: 211
mok,

Not knowing the exact models of your equipment, the best advice we can offer you is the following.

To record on the VCR, you need to
1.) connect cable box's video+audio out to VCR's video+audio in
2.) set cable box to channel you want to record
3.) set VCR to Line1 or Line2 or whichever video+audio set you have connected to the cable box

To watch on your TV what you recorded, you need to
1.) connect VCR's video+audio out to TV's video+audio in
2.) set TV to channel = Line1 or Line2 or whichever video+audio set you have connected to the VCR
3.) push play on VCR

Username: Bemerick

I have a HDTV with a satelite dish and a receiver/DVR. Occasionally, I would like to make a permanent copy of something recorded on the DVR. I have tried downloading to a VCR with no success. I assume it's because the VCR can't take a digital input. What can I do?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 990
DVD recorder

Silver Member

Post Number: 238
Shagway,

What video outputs are on your DVR? What is the model # of the DVR?

You should be able to record to your VCR even though the video quality won't be that great.

Username: Bemerick

I used the gang of "video out" connectors plus the connector for audio.
The DVR is supplied by DTV. There is no manufacturer's ID on it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
Okay, looks like you have the connection from the DVR correct.

Now, you have to connect those cables from the DVR to video IN (yellow) and audio IN (red + white) on the VCR. Usually these set of connectors are referred to as Line1, Line2, etc.

Next change the channel on the VCR to Line1 or Line2 or whichever set you are using.

That's it.

Username: Dali77

This all sounds like a ploy by the cable companies to make us go out and have to buy PVRs.

We just got our first flat screen 2 days ago. Nothing special, just the house brand from Best Buy. DVDs look nice, but cable is fuzzy, so we were told we need a digital box. Ok, but we weren't going to shell out $500 on a PVR, just $100 for the plain box, and then try to figure out how to hook up our old vcr which still runs fine, in case we wanted to record any shows we weren't going to be home for.

What will we have to do? We're only ordering basic digital with a few speciality channles like National Geographic and Animal Planet. Are we going to have trouble recording any of these?

Silver Member

Post Number: 321
A lot of depends. You'll have to experiment.

My mom in Ohio has Time Warner cable. She has the cheapest cable, and she doesn't have a cable box. She gets some of the speciality channels just fine with the TV's digital tuner. Those channels are part of the "standard" service.

I have Cablevision "basic" cable, and I get just the network stations like ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS. Nothing else. I don't know if I had the "family" cable package whether my DVD recorder's digital tuner would be enough or whether I would need their cable box.

Pay for the least and upgrade as needed.

Username: Clueless431

Hi, I need help on a similar topic.

I am going to the FIRST World Championships. At Atlanta, each match will be recorded. The following will be available at each field:

AC power outlets
Audio feeds from that field with RCA & mini connectors.
(The box is called a "Press Mult")
Video feeds from that field with RCA & BNC connectors.
(The box is called a "Video DA")
One video monitor o view the feed and to use to tune recording device

How do I record the matches?
Do I use a VCR?

Any and all help is much appreciated. My team leaves for Atlanta on Monday.

Thanks for the help,
clueless431

Silver Member

Post Number: 322
Are you saying you get a choice of whether to use RCA or mini connectors for the audio and a choice of RC or BNC connectors for the video?

If so

You can use a VCR. This will give you 2 hours per tape.

Or you can buy the Magnavox DVD recorder with a hard drive. You can record hours of video on the hard drive. I had to special order mine from Walmart.com. The local store didn't have it.

Username: Clueless431

We choose how to connect.

So if i use a VCR, i just connect it like I do to a TV. Does it record the same way?

Thanks,
Clueless431

Silver Member

Post Number: 323
It should.

Username: Pringles4life

I just got a comcast cable box.

I want to record a show, but it makes me watch the show as i'm recording it AND record it on VCR. Can i record on something other than a vcr? Or do i have to order a DVR recorder?
I reasoned with this anyway, and i tried to look for it after it ended and i couldn't find it.

It wasn't in the saved programs section on On Demand. Where would it be?

Silver Member

Post Number: 324
Kell Bell,

If the channel you want to watch is Clear QAM and you have a TV with a digital tuner then you can watch one program and record another program.

I suggest reading the owner's manual for your cable box recording finding the recording.

Username: Planetdune

Can an old analogue vcr record from a modern digital cable box? does the cable box somehow convert the digital signal down to analogue for the vcr to read or does the vcr still need either a digital tuner or digital converter box to record from cable?

thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 327
You can use a VCR to record the composite video and audio from a digital cable box (yellow + red + white) connectors.

I have a post above from July that lists what you can and cannot do with your set-up - it is similar to my set-up.

okay, so lee44 and netmouse. I don't understand something: How can a machine with an analogue tuner, an old vcr, record from a cable box which is displaying digital signals that it cannot possibly read or view?

and of the two connections listed above, lee44's seems much simpler. Your connection netmouse is too sophisticated for a novice like me. You must be an electronics engineer or something.

thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 328
composite video is composite video
it is a standard
hence if the digital cable box outputs it, the VCR can "understand" it

Thanks lee488. As far as I understand it, because I've had vcr's for about 20 years, a composite video is an analogue cable, part of the three rca colored cables - this one is usually yellow. And used on an old vcr like mine. All it does is carry a signal. The vcr can't read any signal just because it's sent. If the signal is digital, the vcr cannot read it without a digital converting box or unless it has a built in digital tuner, regardless of fact that some device can simply send a signal. It's like you looking at Greek with no translation underneath.

So does anyone out there know the answer? What is really happening? does the cable box have the capacity to change the digital signal to an analogue so the vcr can read it? and then if it's not connected to the vcr, does it just gives you a straight digital signal?

Also would anyone out there say that a cable box is closer to a digital tuner or a digital converter? or both?

thanks

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2695

quote:

So does anyone out there know the answer? What is really happening? does the cable box have the capacity to change the digital signal to an analogue so the vcr can read it? and then if it's not connected to the vcr, does it just gives you a straight digital signal?

The digital outputs on any cable box include DVI, HDMI, and coax digital audio (a single RCA output usually colored black or orange) or optical. All other outputs on that box are analog. Yes the cable box will convert all digital signals to analog on component (red green blue), composite (yellow red white) and the RF antenna out. These outputs are analog, always have been and always will be. So yes an old VCR can record from these analog outputs, except component. You could use the cable box's RF antenna output for recording by setting the cable box's output to channel 3 or 4, and tuning the same (3 or 4) channel on the VCR. The better way to record for quality is to use composite (yellow red white). The trick is to set the VCR to that input, usually labeled "LINE". And obviously the cable box has to be tuned to the channel to be recorded.

quote:

Also would anyone out there say that a cable box is closer to a digital tuner or a digital converter? or both?

Both I suppose. Any particular cable box does its thing based on the cable company's protocol. It tunes in digital channels and sends those signals to all outputs on the cable box whether they are digital or analog. However, what it does should not be confused with the digital tuners in all modern HDTVs. An ATSC tuner is for use with an antenna to receive over the air TV transmissions. A QAM tuner will tune in digital channels on basic (no box) cable, however it is of limited value since most cable companies encrypt (or scramble) all but the local digital channels on their cable transmission. Only the cable box can make those channels viewable.

Silver Member

Post Number: 329
The vcr can't read any signal just because it's sent.
When the digital cable box has a composite video connector, it means that it is composite video. Do you not understand what standard means?

If there were no standards, electronics manufacturers would be putting different connectors with different video and audio signals at their whim. Thankfully this does not happen.

When there is a composite video connector, it is composite video. You can count on it.

My cable company (cablevision) still offers channels in analog as well as digital. I can switch between the analog and digital .

In my July post I say the following for the configuration. The cable line (from the wall) goes through a splitter. One line then goes to the VCR and one goes to the Digital box. (I choose to additionally put a box at the VCR to switch between the DVD and the VCR machines). The line to the VCR is for all the analog "stuff" like recording one station while viewing another station, or using the timed recording. The other line goes to the digital box (for all the digital "stuff"). I can flip between analog and digital as I explain (on my TV I turn to channel 91 for the VCR / analog. I instead turn to channel 3 for the digital. Other TV brands might have you change to channel 4 or line 1 or 2 for analog provided they offer analog - and MOST DO NOT.

The only downside to this set-up is that I cannot record any channels that are digital only. The answer by the cable companies to get around the limitations of recording digital channels overall is to use the cable company's DVR service - you will be given this by the cable company and charged something like $9.00 a month for this cable service. It does offer even more features than a VCR so you are getting something more for the money.

Silver Member

Post Number: 330
I have Cablevision too. And it is nice they still carry analog video signals on their feed. I only pay for basic cable and refuse to pay $$ for their Family Cable package.

I will be moving to an area serviced by Comast. Don't know what they do.

The following sentence is a correction of a sentence in the post I just made.

"Other TV brands might have you change to channel 4 or line 1 or 2 for analog channels provided that your cable company offers analog - and MOST DO NOT. "

Yes, ieee488, I also feel pretty lucky with Cablevision. It allows customers to stay with analog and keep costs down in this tough economy. Cablevision has dropped a good number of analog channels (above basic cable) to make room for adding digitial ones. At some point, I suspect analog will be totally gone.

I did step up to their triple play adding in phone, which literally got me a free phone - I dumped my land line phone that charged for long distance calls, replacing it with the cablevision phone that includes unlimited calls. The triple play reduced the cost of all 3 things so it is like I got rid of my monthly phone bill.

Good luck with Comast.

Silver Member

Post Number: 331
For long distance and anything outside of my local calling area, I use Google Voice. I used to use OneSuite and they were cheap at 2.5cents per minute, but GoogleVoice is free if my laptop is powered on. A little inconvenient but worth it for FREE.

My decision now is whether to stick with Verizon DSL or go with Comcast's internet. hmmm

That is interesting. I was researching Vonage and Magic Jack for phone solutions, should the triple play cost rise. At some point I am sure it will. I'll check out Google.

deleted message.

Thanks for all the answers. All are very useful with John S giving some excellent examples. But I have a question John S: If netmouse's post above says he has a splitter from the cable, with one going to the vcr and the other going to the cable box and cannot record a digital transmission on his vcr, and his cable company says the only way he can do it with a dvr, shouldn't he be able to just connect the composite cables from the vcr to the cable box (when he's ready to record) and now should be able to record a digital transmission because you say the cable box will translate the signal down to analogue for him?

Netmouse, what channels are broadcast in analogue on cablevision?

ieee488
"When there is a composite video connector, it is composite video. You
can count on it."
Yes I know that composite has to do with analogue signals. But isnt' there a composite video connection on an lcd tv? Yet the signal cannot be read by the vcr because the atsc digital tuner cannot translate the the signal to analogue. So i'm not convinced that just because the connection is there, it works ideally. and you say ????

Silver Member

Post Number: 332
Yes I know that composite has to do with analogue signals. But isnti½ there a composite video connection on an lcd tv? Yet the signal cannot be read by the vcr because the atsc digital tuner cannot translate the the signal to analogue. So i'm not convinced that just because the connection is there, it works ideally. and you say ????

Well, it depends on if the composite video is an OUTPUT or an INPUT, doesn't it ????????

On my HDTV, the composite video is an INPUT. I would bet it's an input on your LCDTV as well.
Hence, connecting TV INPUT to VCR INPUT, gets you NOTHING. Nada. Zilch.

Again, pay attention. It is easy enough to read the label on the connectors, isn't it? Frankly, this seems too much for you.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2699

quote:

Thanks for all the answers. All are very useful with John S giving some excellent examples. But I have a question John S: If netmouse's post above says he has a splitter from the cable, with one going to the vcr and the other going to the cable box and cannot record a digital transmission on his vcr, and his cable company says the only way he can do it with a dvr, shouldn't he be able to just connect the composite cables from the vcr to the cable box (when he's ready to record) and now should be able to record a digital transmission because you say the cable box will translate the signal down to analogue for him?

Yes. The composite cables could installed from the cable box's composite outputs to the VCR's inputs permanently. The key is that you need to switch either between the VCR's antenna input for recording the analog channels the VCR's tuner can receive on basic cable, or to the VCR's line input to record whatever is tuned in on the cable box regardless of what that channel might be. As I said before, successful recording from the box depends on the box to be powered up and tuned to the channel to be recorded. Unattended timer recording is accomplished by programming the VCR to record the "LINE" input (instead of a particular channel) with the appropriate start/stop times. Timer recording of multiple channels from the cable box is problematic, unless someone is around to change the channel on the box between recordings, or the box can be programmed to change channels via its own timer feature (some boxes can, some can't).

Two points: First, cable company support personnel are expected to sell more service to solve customer questions/complaints. Their answer to questions of recording is the company's DVR. These devices do offer far more flexibility and ease of use. You can record anything on your cable without dealing with VCRs, splitters, composite cables, etc. Most can even record two channels at the same time. Some even record and play back high definition channels. As netmouse has already stated, you do get more value with a DVR.

Second, as netmouse says, "At some point, I suspect analog will be totally gone." How long cable companies will continue to convert all those local and mid-tier channels to analog on basic cable for the covenience of those people still using cable only on old VCRs and TVs remains to be seen. I think there's an FCC ruling on this issue, but I don't know what it is.

Music Mitch. First, Netmouse is a "she". I'm a girl. In my July post, my first paragraph states what can be done / not done if a digital box is involved: The "what you can or cannot do" things are (for these configurations) 1) for cable (wall) to digital box to VCR to TV - you cannot watch one channel and record another, 2) for cable to VCR to box to TV -- You can view any scrambled (digital) channel and use VCR remote to control channels. You cannot record scrambled channels, 3) for the two box configuration -- You can record and view both scrambled and unscrambled channels. You cannot view channel other than the one selected for recording nor do a timer recording of a channel unless you select it at the cable box.

As I write, I do not do these because of the limitations. I explain in paragraph two what I do to separate analog from digital (because Cablevision offers both). Thus I can use analog, which has most of the same channels as digital, for recording activities. Cablevision dropped maybe a dozen analog channels to make space for digital channels on their servers (for example, Animal Plant, MSNBC and AMC (which has the great series Mad Men) are no longer available in analog).

I hear you loud and clear ieee488. I am an old school person with old equipment, trying to slowly upgrade. I have a 12 year old Sony Trinitron tv which plays perfectly and will probably run for 30 years if I leave it alone. I have two vcrs, an old Sharp with a super sharp picture function, high speed rewind, and a brand new 10 year old Sanyo. (Just didn't use it until now). I do not have an lcd tv yet. I never really looked so close at the back of one to see that the composite is only going one way - in. So thanks for pointing that out.

488 you seem to be adamant that if there is a composite connection, its output is analogue by definition. However, Netmouse says that she cannot record scrambled channels. So even with the fact that there is a composite in /out connection in the cable box, the signals must not be coming in analogue and thus cannot be recorded on the vcr.

Good info John S. Re your comment on dvr. Yes it's better, but according to Cablevision (which I intend to order soon) I can't dub a show down to a tape. And when the drive is full it's going to tape over my good programs. And I need to copy and transport tapes.

Netmouse, sorry about the he/she thing.
To clarify please: which channels are considered scrambled on Cablevision: is basic broadcast? Is basic cable? Is Premium pay channels? Please clarify?

Also you said that they still broadcast in analogue? I'm not aware of this. I'm trying to order cablevision soon. And my prior conversations with them lead me to believe they are broadcasting in digital. Which channels are broadcast in analogue on Cablevision please?

Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 333
Music Mitch,

Whatever.

That's the only response I will waste on you at this point of the game.

Bye.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2700
"488 you seem to be adamant that if there is a composite connection, its output is analogue by definition." For the umpteenth time, it is, it is. Small wonder ieee488 has checked out of this conversation. "However, Netmouse says that she cannot record scrambled channels." She makes that statement concerning only one hookup configuration, which is "2) for cable to VCR to box to TV -- You can view any scrambled (digital) channel and use VCR remote to control channels. You cannot record scrambled channels...." This is regarding a hookup with the VCR before the cable box in the signal path, and has nothing to do with composite connections. "So even with the fact that there is a composite in /out connection (there are no composite inputs on a cable box) in the cable box, the signals must not be coming in analogue and thus cannot be recorded on the vcr." One more time MM, the composite output on any cable box is analog on all channels -- and therefore can be recorded by any VCR.

"Also you said that they still broadcast in analogue?" "Broadcast" is the wrong word. "Transmit" over the cable is a better way of putting it. And yes, as we've been discussing all along here, there are quite a number of channels available on basic cable that can be tuned in on both your old VCRs and that Triniton of yours.

Without trying to invade your privacy, it would be much easier if you would tell us what channel(s) you are interested in recording, rather than expecting someone to take their free time to laboriously list all the unscrambled channels for your perusal.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2701
Let me amend a previous statement:

"One more time MM, the composite output on any cable box is analog on all channels -- and therefore can be recorded by any VCR." And that includes the composite output of the cable company's DVR, regardless of what they tell you.

Post Number: 9
At this point I am ignoring MM. He/she is asking redundant questions and wasting our time. There is no point in our constantly repeating ourselves or answering silly questions.

Well let's talk about you personally, forget about the others or what I'm asking them because I got very helpful answers that make sense, especially from John, who explains things clearly and with specifics.

But yes, Netmouse, I DID ASK YOU PERSONALLY THE SAME QUESTIONS TWICE. (I plead guilty) two questions about statements that you made on the analogue channels and scrambled channels - which I spoke to Cablevision technical support (and read them your exact words from your post) because your statements are generalizations made without any specifics, and they say that your statements are NOT ACCURATE at all.

AND WHICH BY THE WAY YOU NEVER ANSWERED THE FIRST TIME I ASKED, SO THAT'S WHY I ASKED AGAIN. So yes, they were redundant for you personally - that is true.

But of course I understand that when you DON'T KNOW THE ANSWERS, you want to ignore it. It would have taken the same time to write some kind of answer than write essentially, "I don't want to be bothered, (if you don't want to be bothered, why bother to type anything at all?)

Anyway, that's okay because a technical support supervisor from Cablevision who has the correct knowledge, answered it accurately. And actually read it to me from the technical manual to prove its accurate and its not what you said at all Netmouse. You're spreading erroneous info on this website. And when people want clarification, you cop out with he's asking the same unanswered question again - and this statement here is only addressing you NETMOUSE and any questions I asked you personally on these posts

Silver Member

Post Number: 334
That post above by MusicMitch is precisely the crap that makes people not bother to post.

Netmouse not knowing the answer????
She knows her answers, because her system WORKS.

The same can't be said for the pretend know-it-all like Music Mitch whose ignorance and ungratefulness is plain for all to see. When JohnS calls him on his ignorance, Music Mitch tries to massage his own wounded male macho ego by calling into question netmouse's answers and accusing her of of spreading "erroneous" info.

There is NOTHING erroneous about netmouse's answers which JohnS clarified.

Truly pathetic.

By the way, if Cablevision tech support is so "wondeful", keep on going to those guys.

NA, YOU'RE LYING TO PEOPLE LEEE488. YOU'RE MAKING STATEMENTS HERE THAT ARE NOT TRUE. I NEVER SAID ANYWHERE IN THESE POSTS THAT I KNOW IT ALL. ANYONE WITH A WORD PROCESSOR CAN COPY THIS ENTIRE SECTION FROM TOP TO BOTTOM AND SEARCH THAT OUT. YOU'RE A LIER TRYING TO DISTORT FACTS NOW.

I SAID IN PRIOR POSTS THAT I HAD VCRS FOR MANY YEARS SO I KNOW A LOT ABOUT THAT DEVICE IN PARTICULAR - NOT THAT I KNOW EVERYTHING. IF I KNEW EVERYTHING, I WOULDN'T BE ASKING ANY QUESTIONS HERE ABOUT THESE SETUPS SILLY. YOU'RE REALLY DAFFY MAN.

IN FACT IN ONE RECENT POST, I EVEN WROTE TO YOU:
"II hear you loud and clear ieee488. I am an old school person with old equipment, trying to slowly upgrade"

YOU'RE MAKING THINGS UP TO PROTECT YOUR WIFE NETMOUSE.

NA, I'M NOT UNGRATEFUL. I DO APPRECIATE THE INFO FROM JOHN S BECAUSE HE DOESN'T DOUBLE TALK LIKE YOU DO IN HIS EXPLANATIONS, AND TRIES TO EXPLAIN THINGS CLEARLY AND WITH GOOD EXAMPLES UNTIL THEY ARE UNDERSTOOD. AND HE HAS PATIENCE WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE NOVICES, UNLIKE YOU WHOM DON'T GIVE A DAMN ONE WAY OR THE OTHER.

AS TO NETMOUSE, NA I'M NOT SAYING SHE'S ALL WRONG - I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT IT. BUT CABLEVISIONS EXPERTS SAY THAT SOME OF WHAT SHE'S SAYING IS RIDICULOUS. AND THEREFORE I WOULD SAY TO PEOPLE BE CAUTIOUS ABOUT TAKING IF FOR A FACT. IT'S A LOT OF HEARSAY.

IF YOU OR SHE CAN READ TO US FROM THE CABLEVISION MANUAL, THE PEOPLE WHO DISTRIBUTE THIS PROGRAM AND CONFIRM THESE FACTS, I'LL GIVE YOU A MILLION. YOU CAN'T THOUGH BECAUSE THEY READ IT TO ME AND PROVED THAT SHE'S INACCURATE ON SOME THINGS. I DIDN'T CHECK OUT THE OTHER AREAS OF HER POSTS, SO I CAN'T COMMENT ON THEM. BUT I'D EXERCISE CAUTION TO ANY READERS TRYING TO TAKE HER WORD AS ACCURATE BECAUSE OF THE ERRORS I FOUND ON A FEW ITEMS.

Toronto, Ontario Canada

I THINK SOME US WOULD APPRECIATE IF THIS FORUM IS NOT USED FOR SLANDERING EACH OTHER BUT FOR THE PURPOSE IT IS MEANT. KINDLY REFRAIN FROM ACCUSATIONS AND MOVE ON.

Silver Member

Post Number: 335
mok,
Well, some of us would appreciate not SHOUTING on this forum.
Stop with the preaching and the shouting.

It is sad that Music Mitch has a bit of a problem with his ego.
He doesn't understand the technology and then proceeds to accuse people of lying. I suppose the fact that a female like netmouse is able to figure the new technology out, and he can't must really get on his nerves. His ignorance of the subject for all to see by the sentences he writes. Hence, the need to start shouting and getting all hysterical. It is a riot.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2702

quote:

I THINK SOME US WOULD APPRECIATE IF THIS FORUM IS NOT USED FOR SLANDERING EACH OTHER BUT FOR THE PURPOSE IT IS MEANT. KINDLY REFRAIN FROM ACCUSATIONS AND MOVE ON.

I know NOTHING! Upload

Toronto, Ontario Canada

There is no need to be rude and obnoxious. Thank you.

John S and Mok. You make sense. I agree to comply.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2706
No worries MM. If you feel like it, let us know what you end up doing and why....

Username: Muntz

I never realized having digital cable was going to make my VCR life miserable. I assume that my situation is no different but I have a few questions regardless after perusing the previous replies.

My CATV company answered a lot of my questions and I found out I can in fact watch one thing and record another for the time being because they still send analog signals. I will need to split the feed to make this happen but...

I also found out that I can SAVE some money over time if I buy a digital recording device that is HD capable, get a cable card from my cable provider and turn in my present digital/HD box.

So what's a good NON-subscription digital recording device for someone who does a limited amount of recording?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Username: Nowandthen

Netmouse, I reviewed your information on this website is totally trash and you are so wrong about everything. on. You're configuations are idiotic and non optimal. Why don't you take them off this webite because you're really not helping anyone, but making things worse. People, please don't follow anything this mad woman says. You are going to foul up your connections. Look in your cable book manual for the correct configurations or call you cable company. This woman is totally ditz! And this is the same person I found out as ie488. These are one of the same using different emails to comment on each other. And I believe that person uses a third email but I am not 100% sure yet. I'll let you know when I find it

Username: Chlokara

@ David Massey: I don't know how to set the VCR to line. I have the tv on Channel 3, and the VCR on channel three. I can see channel 3 through the VCR and can tape only channel 3. I can not see or record another other channels through the VCR.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4262
If there isn't an input or auxillary key on the remote, go through the channels until you get to line. This is only used with RCA cable hookup.

Username: Voodoo1226

Hi,

I have basic cable which I plug directly to my TV, with no cable box. I would like to also be able to watch TV in another room, although I do not want to run wires or drill holes. I saw in the market they have the wireless audio/video signal sender (a transmitter and a receiver.) But without the cable box this setup won't work, would it?

Please forgive me if I am in the wrong forum.

Thanks for any help!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1282
You are very likely correct but that would be hard to know for sure unless we have a better idea on the exact transmitter you were considering.

I was looking at this: http://www.x10.com/promotions/wireless_video_sender_vk82a.html
and this: http://www.amazon.com/RF-Link-AVS-5811-5-8GHz-Transmission-Repeater/dp/B0002EXJ8Y

Thanks for replying!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1283
The Amazon link didn't work but the first device would need some sort of output from your TV. If your TV does not have an output a VCR would work rather nicely.

Yes, I hooked it up to the good old VCR, but it only gave me channels 2-13. I could not get any other channels like Discovery, History, TNT, ESPN, etc.

Thanks.

Edit: Plug in the cable directly to TV I do get those channels.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1284
The VCR's tuner needs to be set to "cable" rather than "air"

Is this setup normally within Menu or Settings? The problem is my VCR is so old that only a few buttons on the remote control works. I did tried to to look for a way for the VCR to re-scan the channels but I just couldn't get into the menu without a remote control.

At least now I know it can be done. I will just look for another one and test. Thank you for all your help!!!

Worked like a charm!!!

Thank you!!!

Username: Hellgrammite123

Hello everyone,

I have a question to ask. I try taping a show using my vcr and a digital cable box. This action works well. However, when I review the tape, the volume is low. I raise the volume as high as I can and the volume is only half the normal. Sometimes as the show progresses, the volumes beings to get lower and lower and eventually disappear. Why does this happen?

I have tried taping shows from other tv's and vcr's that did not have a digital cable box and watch it on my tv. The same thing happens with the volume.

Could this be because of the cable box? Or would this be because of the vcr? Is there something in the tv or vcr that I can change so that i do not have this problem again?

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Username: Duquesmom

MI United States

I have a digital TV & have cable but no box. My VCR is older & I can't tape any shows off the digital channels. Is my only solution to buy a new VCR (with or without a tuner?????)?

Matt - do you have anything on MUTE?

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 16397
Matt

Put the volume on digital cable box to max when recording!

Dena

Check in back of your TV if you has a video output then use it to record!

You can also buy a digital converter!

Silver Member

Post Number: 622
Dena,

The issue when using your digital TV's tuner which is what Plymouth is suggesting is that your TV has to be on for you to be able to record. The video and audio out are not live when the TV is off.

You can use one of those digital boxes that you were able to get for almost nothing with a coupon back in the days when over-the-air TV was transitioning from analog to digital.

MI United States

Thanks for your responses.

ieee488, If I got one of the digital converters, I would hook my VCR up to that?

Right now my digital TV is getting channels like 66-2, which my VCR doesn't understand.

Silver Member

Post Number: 623
Right. Channel 66.2 is a digital channel.

MI United States

So, is there a way to get my VCR to understand digital channel?

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 16407
Not without the digital box!

The inside tuner does not recognize the digital signal!

If you have to record later, put the digital box on the channel you want to record then program your VCR to record on the AUX or video input(if that exist).

Username: Smaricic

Spring Lake Heights, NJ USA

I hope this helps someone. I didn't know how to tape a show using my old vcr (Panasonic DMR-ES35V) and a Cablevision cable box (Scientific Atlanta -- Explorer 4200). I had three RCA cables coming out of the back of the cable box (two for audio, one for video). These were fed into the back of my VCR (into the IN 1 section). What confused me at first was the fact that when I pressed the tv/ video button on my vcr's remote, I saw video1, video2, and channel 3. I finally figured out that this did not refer to the vcr's inputs, but to the tv's inputs. I needed to select channel 3 to see the picture. On the vcr, I needed to keep pressing the down channel buttons until the vcr display cycled through channel 5, then channel 4, then DV, then IN2, then finally IN 1. IN1 is the key. After that, choose the record mode (SP, EP, etc.) Use the cable remote (or cable box buttons) to select the channel you want to tape. Press record. If you set the vcr timer to record some future event, you must choose channel "IN1" on your vcr. Keep the cable channel on the channel you want to record. I don't know how to watch one channel while taping another (except use a second tv).

Username: Catlover0908

I am in the process of getting a Comcast digital box for the first time. This diagram has been helpful to help me learn how to record one program and watch another: http://www.comcast.com/MediaLibrary/1/2/CM/VanityURL/documents/record_digital_wa tch_analog.pdf

The problem is, I also use an RF Modulator for my DVD player as I have an older tv. At what point in the diagram above do I insert the RF Modulator? I also found this diagram: http://www.comcast.com/MediaLibrary/1/2/CM/VanityURL/documents/rf-mod_dvd_or_gam e.pdf

What I need to know is how to merge the 2 diagrams so I can use an A/B switch and the RF Modulator.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm tearing my hair out LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 666
It looks to me you need a A/B/C switch. Connect DVD player, then the RF modulator to "C".

DVD player --->> RF modulator --->> "C"

Username: Catlover0908

So at that point only the DVD player would pass through the modulator, and then the modulator would be C on the switch? The modulator wouldn't be used for anything with my tv or vcr?

Silver Member

Post Number: 667
The RF modulator is to let you watch your DVD player on your old TV.

Username: Bboy_atomik

Thank you very much Cable Boy, after numerous BS attempts, your crystal clear instructions was effective for my living room television VCR/Cable connection.

Although I didn't expect the basic A channels on my kitchen tv to be were erased, the only channel on there is what's projected on the living room tv. The kitchen chord is connected to the AB switch, right beside the vhs wire. I might of missed a step, but do you have any theories? I just realized this thread is kind of old, anyone here down to contribute?

Anyhow, I'm glad the main challege is over!

Silver Member

Post Number: 671
You do realize that since Cable Boy is an unregistered member, he won't get an email tha tyou asked a new question.

Username: Redhead2659

I had a digital box hooked up to my older TV set this summer, discovered after that that the VCR wouldn't work, paid the Geek Squad $99.00 to hook the TV and VCR up to an RF Regulator. Now I can watch tapes recorded on other peoples VCR's but I cannot tape anything from my own VCR. Is there anything that be done about this short of going out and buying a brand new TV and having my cable company hook up a PVR unit and trashing my VCR or cancelling my digital service and going back to the way it was before?

Silver Member

Post Number: 675
What the Geek Squad installed was a RF Modulator.
Not sure why that was necessary unless your TV is so old that it only has coax connector and nothing else.

A digital cable box should have composite video output (yellow RCA jack).

You'll need to connect the composite video + the audio (red & white RCA jacks) to LINE IN on your VCR.

Set the VCR to record from channel LINE IN.

Username: Redhead2659

The Geek Squad installed the RF Modulator because I do not have enough connections on the back of my old TV set.

I now have adjusted the jacks and now I have the VCR being able to record the channel that the digital box is set to which I couldn't do last night but if I want to program something to tape that is on a channel that my digital box is not set to, I cannot record it. When I use the VCR remote control, I can only get a picture on the channel that the digital box is set for not for the other channels. It wasn't like that in the old days before the digital box came in. Before the digital box, I could view all my channels through the VCR and set the VCR to record on any one of them but not now. I have a hunch that this is a limitation to an RF Modulator. Fortunately, there is a TV in the house that does not have a digital box installed on it so I can still use that one to tape stuff.

Silver Member

Post Number: 676
Everything is acting the way it is suppose to.

You don't understand it so you blame the RF Modulator.

Without the RF Modulator your old TV is useless

If you don't want all this problem, get yourself a digital ClearQAM tuner device that they were giving out for free when converting to digital TV and buy yourself a brand new TV.

Beware that even with a ClearQAM tuner, some channels may still require the digital cable box if the signal is encrypted.

Try to understand this instead of grasping at straws for explanation.

Username: Lite9999

Hi I am a new member. We are a little behind the times but just recently got a package deal which included digital cable box & the ONLY reason was to reduce our bill which has been climbing monthly. We were not unhappy with what we had but were very unhappy about the cost. I still use VCR's for taping & am very happy with them. A technician from the cable company hooked up the digital box (I assume everything is hooked up OK?) and I told him that I needed instructions on how to set VCR. I learned enough from him to know that when setting timed recordings the VCR needs to be set on 03 rather than the channel you are taping. He supposedly set everything but have had very little luck in getting anything to record. I have other TV's that I can record on but I would like to be able to still use VCR with this TV.

Last night was the first time that we acually got it to record so have some data that may be helpful. My husband watches NCIS & then I tape NCIS LA for him which comes on immediately after. In the postings it was mentioned that the TV needs to be on the channel you are taping which has been the case especially on Tuesday night since both shows are on the same channel. Last night he said it started taping so he just left the TV on for awhile to see what happened. He turned the TV off about 30 minutes into taping and that's when the tape ended. So does the TV have to actually be turned on and on the channel you are taping? If that's the case, I can't express how much that sucks.

Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks - Charlotte

Silver Member

Post Number: 690
The answer depends on your cable TV company.

Do you use the cable box remote control to change channels?

What is the model of the cable box?

Thanks Ieee488. Charter is the cable company - Cable box is Scientific Atlantic (now Cisco I believe) Explorer 3100. We do use the cable box remote to change channels.

Another thing I wondered about is if we had the digital cable box on our TV that has the DVD player (not recorder), would we be able to watch DVD's since the TV has to be on Channel 91. How would you (or can you) do that with the cable box?

Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 691
There is an excellent guide on how to connect the Explorer 3100 to a VCR.

http://www.sciatl.com/ExplorerClubGuides/getting_started.htm#3100

Thanks again Ieee488. Actually, I have come across this guide in all my Googling. But since the service person for Charter hooked it up I figured he knew what he was doing? - not that they have my complete trust. Will check it all out later today to see if it is connected as shown in the guide.

So do you think with Charter as the provider, if the Explorer 3100 is connected to the VCR correctly that it should tape? I know I can't tape digital channels and that while taping you can't watch a channel different from the one you are taping. One thing I am still unclear about is if I am taping on Channel 11, does the TV have to be on Channel 11 also ie Channel 11 the last channel watched before turning the TV off or can it switch to the correct channel? And hopefully it should work with the TV turned off?

Do you have any comment about my other question concerning the DVD player?

Thanks for your comments.

Silver Member

Post Number: 692
Since you have a cable box, if you are using its tuner to record a program on the TV, then the TV is completely out of the picture.

OK just for the record the cable box is hooked up correctly to the VCR. This seems to be what is happening. If the TV is not on it appears to be taping but there is nothing on the tape. If the TV is on, it tapes.

I am not one to give up but don't want to beat a dead horse. Just to confirm, are you saying that with our setup it is NOT possible to use VCR to tape?

Thanks again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 693
I am not saying that at all.

It IS possible to tape with the VCR if you have the right connections and if you set your equipment properly.

Again, read that manual.

Hi there again - I am happy to report that I have been successful in getting the VCR to tape. I have one final (hopefully) question/concern. My husband watches NCIS on Tuesday from 8-9. I have the VCR set to tape NCIS LA (same channel) from 9-10. What seems to happening is that the VCR starts taping but when he turns the TV/cable box off it continues to record but no picture - just black. Is there a solution for that or is this how it's supposed to work?

Thanks for any comments on this situation.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2806
Yes Charlotte, that's how it works -- if you turn the cable box off, there's no signal for the VCR to record. The solution is to leave the cable box on.

Over time, I've gotten into the habit of turning my cable box off. However, I once had a knowledgeable cable technician tell me there's not much difference in electrical consumption or wear between on/off because the box is mostly on all the time anyway, so it really doesn't matter that much if you leave the box on all the time.

Username: Mike3765

A few years ago, I got a digital converter box for my year 2000 Sony Wega and never was able to get any of my VCR's to record. I gave up. Now I really wanted to record the Olympic opening ceremonies and tried again. Same story. I looked at the posts above and on other sites. I have VCR connected to the digital box. What exactly does set the VCR to Line In mean and how do you do that? I have no such item on my VCRs or remotes. I have Input, butit doesnt do anything.

I now also have digital adapters for 2 older TVs. I tried using those with the VCR; also no success.

And I remember having trouble trying to record from one VCR to another, and viewing it on the TV so I could make edits. I have up on that effort a few years ago as well.

Any ideas for any of these 3 questions?

Silver Member

Post Number: 703
Mike376,

Do you have cable or are you using the digital converter box along with an antenna to receive over-the-air TV signals?

Username: Mike3765

I have digital cable. No antenna. Prior to going to digital years ago, I had no problems recording with VCR's and from one VCR to another using cable.

After trying every combination I could think of for hooking them up using the 3 colored cables on both ends, I gave up. Maybe for the best since I haven't recorded a thing now for years.

On two othe TV's, I was recently provided adapers. Their remotes are very basic.

I did have a small TV/VCR combo but the VCR part starting getting tapes stuck. Anyway, I think it would be of no use now that would need an adapter.

I'm trying to accomplish two things. 1., just record, even without a timer..I'l just manualy kick it off 2. record from one VCR to another, while seeing the picture and stopping/starting recording to make ediits

I'm interested in getting a DVD recorver/VCR combo to copy tapes to DVDs, but wondering if I'm going to have these same problems.

Silver Member

Post Number: 704
What do you mean by digital cable?

Do you have a cable box?

Also, which model TV do you have?

Username: Dustybutt

My cable just went digital--I need a converter box to switch the digital signal to an analog signal--through a VCR---and still be able to control the channels and timer setting with the VCR. Is there a box that will accomplish this? thanks}

Silver Member

Post Number: 727
You'll need to rent a box from your cable company.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us