Archive through March 31, 2005

Username: Cyco

Post Number: 5
Please post how many months before your bulb/ballast blew. No lengthy discussions please, just Model/Month/problem. I would like to get a list/petition to get the ball rolling. If you visit other sites please link/refer them to this post. There is no way these bulbs are lasting 10,000 hours!! Thanks.

EG(my own set btw)
PT-50LC13 Bulb blew 13months old(1500hrs)

Username: Waynepaul

Post Number: 4
PT-50LC13 Bulb blew 10months old(1200hrs)

Username: Taymoor55

Fort Worth, Texas USA

Post Number: 1
PT-50LC13 Bulb exploded 14 months old (1000 hrs)

Gil
Unregistered guest
PT50LC13 Bulb blew 5 months. (1000 hrs)

Greg Knoyle
Unregistered guest
Pt50lc13 lamp blew 9 months, less than 1000 hours

Darren Amato
Unregistered guest
PT50LC13 Bulb #1 blew at 11 months (1,500 hrs). Bulb #2 blew 3 months later (300 hrs).

Username: Web22tf4

Denver, Colorado US

Post Number: 2
PT50LC13 lamp blew 15 months 2100hrs

K Beq
Unregistered guest
PT50LC13
Bulb #1 blew after 3 1/2 months.
Bulb #2 blew after 13 months.
Didn't know to check the meter, but no where near even 5000 hours

Mark G
Unregistered guest
PT60LC13
Bulb blew after 6 1/2 months

Unregistered guest
Two bulbs in 14 months. One for 2000, and for 1000. Panasonic LCD model #PT-50LC13

N.T.
Unregistered guest
PT50LC13
Bulb blew after 5 1/2 months (<1000 hours)

Username: Rickaries

PT60LC13. BULB BLEW UP AFTER 4 MONTHS.

Unregistered guest
PT-40LC12 purchased in September 2002 for $2200. Lamp #1 blew at 2000 hours (May 2004). In Jan. 2005, set would not turn on. Advised to purchase another lamp only to discover lamp ballast is bad. $1,000 parts and labor to fix.

Panasonic customer service and tech. support is awful!!!!

Unregistered guest
PT-40LC12 purchased in September 2002 for $2200. Lamp #1 blew at 2000 hours (May 2004). In Jan. 2005, set would not turn on. Advised to purchase another lamp only to discover lamp ballast is bad. $1,000 parts and labor to fix.

chris mccabe
Unregistered guest
50LC13/7 months/Bulb and ballast went. Sears sent new lamp, ballast resolution has taken weeks (so far)

Username: Kickstudios

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA USA

PT-50LC13 PURCHASED 10/2003 BULB WENT 2/2005 SEARS COMING THIS TUESDAY TO CHECK IT OUT

chris mccabe
Unregistered guest
I just got my 50LC13 back tonight from the repair shop. Everything appears to be back in working order, but for how long is anyone's guess. After this experience, I think I will be getting a fan to help cool the TV down (anything to avoid going through the torture of dealing with Sears).

My total outage time was about 3-4 weeks, however I lost track. I guess that's not quite as bad as some of the folks on this forum. The guys that fixed the TV basically implied that Sears uses a third party to handle TV maintenance management and the repair is done through independent TV repair shops via contract work. The customer (me) gets caught in the middle, and Sears can't or won't tell you what the number is for the repair center (so you have no idea when or if they'll be calling for an appt.). Sears customer service throughout has been appallingly bad, to the point of being ludicrous. I think this is the last time I get a TV from them.

BSea
Unregistered guest
On my PT-50LCX63, 1st lamp went in 2 months, second in another 5 months. Now an orange dot has appeared on the screen. One year warranty up 2/17/05
I am now retired and forgot to budget for this
expense...........

Post Number: 8
Thank you people... Spread the word we need as many people as we can get on here.

Username: Cavsct94

Post Number: 3
Just verified that my bulb was blown. I just ordered a new one for $310 shipped. Let's hope it is only the bulb.

I clocked in at a relatively lucky 15 months before losing mine!

Of course, the three stuck green pixels occured at 12 months.

To think I bought this expensive TV and a complete Panasonic DVD surround system... ah, to do it all over again...

K Ferguson
Unregistered guest
PT-50LC13
Purchased 7/04
Bulb blew 9/04 and again 2/05
Waiting for best buy to replace bulb and ballast

Unregistered guest
3 months 600 hours first bulb went.

8 months since then bulb #2 is getting ready to go, about 1200 hours, the tv takes a long time to power up, more than the 10 seconds as stated in the manual. Flashed green for about 30 seconds, same thing it done before bulb #1 went. Lucky thing is I have a spare but also have a 4 year warranty with Best Buy.

Anonymous

Is this more with the 50lc models because i have the 43" and i have not seen 1 post on this one with bad bulb life. .. but seeing this forum i think i may have made a mistake purchasing this tv... anyone have the 43lc14 model with these problems?

kathy F
Unregistered guest
Purchased PT-50LC13 7/04
bulb blew 9/04
thought bulb blew again 2/05 but now told its ballast. Hopefully... Best Buy covered both but took weeks for tech and parts..

Suzanne_N
Unregistered guest
PT-50LC13 10 months, bulb blown. Probably under 2000 hours usage. Panasonic is sending us a replacement under warranty, but concerned about it blowing every year, $300 bucks is alot to pay annually. They should either make the things actually last 10,000 hours, or drop the price to about 50 - 75 dollars.

Unregistered guest
PT-50LC13 Bought 7 months ago...No more then 1000 hours on the set. Blown bulb! Unreal.

Username: Geegee

Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Hi Mike Kraj,this info gives an average lamp life of 8.3 months,this is similar to results on Samsung, LG Sony, & most other rear proj.studied(lcd/dlp).To quote lamp life of 10k.8k,or even 5k hours is the greatest scam since Betacord,Confirmed by the lousy 3 months warrenty on lamps.we have obligation to spread the word to other misled buyers.The news may be getting around anyway. in Oz,the 62"LG(rec retail $10624) is being offered for $5990.Still too dear,if it will need 2 or 3 $600 lamps p.a. gw.golding@optusnet.com.au

Anonymous

PT-50LC13 Purchased 9/2003 After 18 months bulb blew, waiting for Circuit City to replace under extended warranty! Smart move to get extra warranty even if just for bulb replacement.

Post Number: 10
<quote>Hi Mike Kraj,this info gives an average lamp life of 8.3 months,this is similar to results on Samsung, LG Sony, & most other rear proj.studied(lcd/dlp).To quote lamp life of 10k.8k,or even 5k hours is the greatest scam since Betacord,Confirmed by the lousy 3 months warrenty on lamps.we have obligation to spread the word to other misled buyers.The news may be getting around anyway. in Oz,the 62"LG(rec retail $10624) is being offered for $5990.Still too dear,if it will need 2 or 3 $600 lamps p.a. gw</quote>

Thank you. this is exactly why we need to do something about it. Ripping off the consumer is just way to easy and these big companies know there's nothing we can do about it. I've been talking to a lawyer that's getting me in contact with a guy that deals more with civil lawsuits. (I may be barking up the wrong tree, but I feel that something should be done beside sit here and complain about it). I'd be happy with replacement bulbs, I figure 5, that would give us a bulb every two years to meet there quota of 10k hrs... sigh.
We need to get records of sales, to whom, get a longer list of persons and some attorny leads. Anyone willing to help or has info contact me losboyz@yahoo.com

Username: Digger44

Long Island, NY USA

Hi. It went just today. Couldn't believe it!

PT-50LCX63 4.5 months!

Peeved
Unregistered guest
Hey Anonymous, let me know how Circuit City handles your replacement with their in home service extended warranty. Thx

Eskimo2176
Unregistered guest
What I am finding interesting here is that all of you either have the 12 or 13 series. The 14 series has been out since the summer and if your 8 month average pans out, then why aren't we seeing 14 series here? Was there a different ballast or light engine used? Lamps I think are the same I believe.

Upgrade Time???
Unregistered guest
PT50LC13 Bulb and Ballast went today, purchased in 8/03, 18 mo. Also have one dead pixel. Called Circuit City's City Advantage, they will be here friday WITH parts to get it back up and running.

Darren170
Unregistered guest
I had the Best Buy tech out Saturday, nice guy, he replaced my second bulb on my PT-50LC13 as in my previous message and on Sunday it went again. When he was here I asked if it could be the ballast he said that he has never had to change one yet on the Pan. LC13 or 14 series but has replaced hundreds of bulbs/lamps.

The 14 uses the same lamp as the the 13 as per the tech guy, i started my complaining hoping after a few times of them coming out they will replace the set for a newer model, three strikes and there out, thats the Best Buy gaurantee. But it seems that i may not be any better of getting a 14 series.

The other thing i have noticed with the tv is at the top of the screen semi curcular lines many of them about a 10 inch arc probably an inch wide total, anyone else see this on their TV, the tech said it was normal but these days i do not know who to beleive.

The problem with the lamps it seems is the number of times they are turned on and off and heat generation. If you was to leave the set on for an entire year 8760 hours your bulb may expire, close to the 10000 hour life span. I am sure the lamps alone may be rated for this many hours but being used in conjunction with the tv is another story.

In closing I will contact Panasonic again and requested that something be done i will give them a choice of sending me enough lamps to last the average lifetime of a TV set (10 years, seemed fair, which would be 20 lamps, 6 month lifespan on average) which i do not think will happen :-) or i would follow this up with my states attorney general under some consumer protection act seeing as they clearly have a design flaw that was not properly tested before manufacturing.

PO
Unregistered guest
how do you know if the ballast is out? and how do you know cc will have parts on hand?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Pull the lamp out. You'll clearly see it is blown. If it isn not and TV does not turn on. Then it could be the ballast.

G'day Mike K,don't despair,from this & many other forums we have details of hundreds of early lamp failures in most makes of RPTVs,enough to demonstrate that:-(1)Most RPTVs are not of merchantable quality,(unfit to perform their function in a reasonable way) (2)Misleading exagerated,or fraudulent claims at the point of sale,about lamp performance. (3)The manufacturers awareness of true lamp expectations with their 3 month warrenty on lamps,against their declared promise of 8000-10000 hours.(42-48 months). I bet your Mr Ralph Nader(champion of the conned)would love to look at this.If anyone knows his e/mail or address I've got mucho stuffo to back this case.
George, gw.golding@optusnet.com.au

Unregistered guest
PT-50lc13
Purchased 1/25/04
Ballast and bulb failure 1st month (<100 hrs)
repaired under manufacture warranty

Second bulb AND ballast failure 2/23/05 (<4000 hrs)
Pending repair under retailer extended warranty

Bronze Member
Username: Everysandwich

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 14
PT50lC-13. Bulb and ballast failed after ten months.

Username: Digger44

Long Island, NY USA

*Update*
Panasonic had me check the lamp and it looked fine to me. They set me up with a repair shop (which happened to be 1/2 mile from me). The repair guy came today and wanted to take the TV back to his shop after looking at the bulb (just like I did). He said it would take at least 10 days to get the transformer (ballast) and that he would not swap it in my house. Now...I WENT to his repair shop, and there is NO WAY that I would let my TV go there. So... I told him to forget it, and that I would take it back to the store. He looked SHOCKED! Probably never heard that before. I explained to him the COSTCO return policy. Then he left.

There is no way that I can accept spending over $2700 for a TV and have it fail like this in less than 5 months! Furthermore, after seeing all of these bulb issues, I don't think that I want to commit to investing $300/year (at minimum probably) in my TV......Oh well...

Post Number: 5
Re rear proj.lamp failure,I have today posted some more useful(if even more tragic)forum thread details. These were by mistake sent to the ecoustics >JVC HD52Z575 etc,thread. Read & Weep!!
geegee

Unregistered guest
PT-50LC13 bulb blew (I'm guessing, I'll verify tonight) after 14 months (<2000 hours)...

Unregistered guest
Red light blinking..not sure if it's the lamp or ballast. We'll check it out later today. Bought it from BBuy in July '04. Probably <1000 hours. Does anyone know if you can still purchase the ext. warranty from Panasonic during the 1st year?

Bronze Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 15
JvKUSA -- My experience was that, yes, you can still order the extended warranty from panasonic if you're within the first year. It turned out for me that the extended warranty from circuit city was cheaper. However, the circuit city repair guy so far has 1.) failed to order a part for a month and 2.) when he did finally get the part, he broke *another* part while installing the first part. Maybe you get what you pay for -- No, wait, if that were true, my $3000 TV wouldn't be broken all the time!

Cycoz
Unregistered guest
***ALERT***

PLEASE GO HERE AND SIGN THE PETITION!!!!!!
http://www.petitiononline.com/panbulb/petition.html

Spread the word! We need as many signitures as possible!
Thank you Darren T for your help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Sorry wasn't logged in when I made the post.

Username: H8ford

18 months PT-50LC13. Quit running while viewing. Found blow lamp. I dont know what caused it to blow, unless it's just the lamp...
Called Panasonic support today 2/28/05, they asked me to submit the repair bill when done, and they will see what they can do.
I'll let you guys know what happens.

Steve

Username: H8ford

18 months PT-50LC13. Quit running while viewing. Found blow lamp. I dont know what caused it to blow, unless it's just the lamp...
Called Panasonic support today 2/28/05, they asked me to submit the repair bill when done, and they will see what they can do.
I'll let you guys know what happens.

Steve

Zyplexer
Unregistered guest
My first bulb blew in a year. The second in a week and the third in 6 months.

LCD fan
Unregistered guest
Bulb blew after almost 20 months. At least I think its the bulb. Anyone know or have experience with my prob: Turn power on, green light flashes, then stange intermittent buzzing from left backside, then red light flashes at power button?? I'm hoping it is just the lamp. If it is the ballast can it be repaired by novice?? Thanks all

What the @%^%$#!!!
Unregistered guest
Our bulb blew within one year of buying the TV. This was less than 1500 hours of use. So my question is: Does the 10,000 hours include time that the TV isn't even on????!!!!!!

What the @%^%$#!!!
Unregistered guest
Model: PT-50LC13

TV User
Unregistered guest
I just bought a PT-60LC13 from FRY'S. And all the things I'm hearing about these TVs, should I get out while I can or keep it. I only had it for 3 days. PLEASE TELL ME, SO I WON'T WASTE MY MONEY!!!

Very Worried
Unregistered guest
I just bought a PT-60LC13 from FRY'S. And all the things I'm hearing about these TVs, should I get out while I can or keep it. I only had it for 3 days. PLEASE TELL ME, SO I WON'T WASTE MY MONEY!!!

Post Number: 9
Hi very worried, it's up to you,weigh the pros & cons. Pros;. Wonderful picture,nice piece of furniture. Cons;.Abundant evidence of need to replace bulb/ballast unit/light engine,every 8.3 months (average).Associated anxiety.Maintenance costs of$450-$500 p.a.If u are prepared to,& can afford this,then go ahead.Otherwise toss it back to Fry's since their claim of 10000 hours lamplife is misleading & probably legally actionable.A printout of this forums threads will support this."PT-xxLCxx""Samsung lamp Help""Sony Help" ,and www.productreview.com.au "LG/Samsung".also sign Panasonic LCD tv lamp petition.Good luck. (Terrific picture though) George

jojobiz
Unregistered guest
model pt-50lc13

lamp blew after 4 month usage. there was a couple month of visible dimmed contrast/brightness b4 the lamp died.

Ahoy
Unregistered guest
So, this certainly seems to be a flaw in the LC13 models... can anyone verify that the LC14 have fixed this???? I bought the 14. I can't find many bulb complaints with the 14.

Thanks

Unregistered guest
I purchased my PT-50LC13 13 months ago from Circuit City, carried it to a repair shop and was told the buld exploded. The repairshop wants over $500 to replace the bulb. This is very unsatisfactory and does not seem to be a longterm fix for the real problem. A $3500 TV should last more than 13 months. From the string of postings I belive Panasonic has a major design problem and has a responsiblity to provide a solution that last the published life of the bulb 10,000 hrs.

Username: Bobkat

PT60LC13 - Lamp blew last night, or is it just the ballast????

Symptoms: Turn power on, green lED flashes for a few seconds. Then green goes off and red LED flashes about every 2-3 seconds.

Bought extended warranty from Tweeter - Am I covered ???

Will call Tweeter's customer service on Monday.

:-(

LCDs Rock
Unregistered guest
Yes, your covered. To bad about your lamp. How long have you had it??? I bought an LC14 model, 50 inch -- From this board it seems nobody has been having troubles with the 14 series. Have you heard anything?

THanks

PT60LC13 - Lamp Burned Out

I called Panasonic CS. After a 45 min wait (That's okay, it's Saturday.), I spoke with Jean - very courteous and helpful. :-)

Jean instructed me to remove the lamp. It's shattered.

They will be sending me a new lamp for FREE. :-)

I will FAX a copy of my purchase receipt. They will send a new lamp on Monday, via 2nd Day Air. I will immediately put the old one in the box, attach the return shipping label and hand it to the UPS driver. (I hope the UPS driver isn't in a hurry.) This will prevent my credit card from being charged $298.00.

So, all in all, I was very pleased with Jean, the CS Rep., but disappointed that the lamp blew after 8 months of moderate use.

:-) and :-(

BTW, the extended warranty from Tweeter explicitly states: "5-YEAR EXTENDED COVERAGE - NO LAMP".

Good thing Panasonic covered it within my 1st year!

Bronze Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 16
Bob Faino -- you might want to check with tweeters to see if they updated their policy. I know Circuit City's extended warranty now covers the lamps, I assume because of all the trouble and complaints and the potential for lawsuits. I think other retailers are also covering the bulb. I was still eligible for the extended warranty from circuit city with in a year of purchase, and it was cheaper than Panasonic's.

Post Number: 4
Thanks, I'll call Tweeter and ask ..... nicely.....
-Bob

LCD
Unregistered guest
Hey, whats the difference between the lamp and the bulb? Or are we talking about the same thing with 2 words?

I have a Panny 50LC14 -- no lamp/bulb issue yet. I think the issue has been remedied now, anyone know for certain?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Lamp/Bulb same thing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
***ALERT***

PLEASE GO HERE AND SIGN THE PETITION!!!!!!

Make sure you find other forums and spread the word! Nothing is going to happen if we don't get enough signitures!!!!!!

Unregistered guest
the bulb exploded 13 months after i bought the tv. It is not covered by the warranty.

Unregistered guest
the bulb exploded 13 months after i bought the tv. It is not covered by the warranty.

MMMMMM
Unregistered guest
PC-50LC13 - Bulb went out 11 months after purchase.

On a side note, I bought the 5 year extended warranty, one of the reasons being that the salesperson at Ultimate Electronics specifically told me it covered the Bulb. Which I now find out it doesn't.

Fortunately, this one is covered by the Manufacturer's warranty.

Username: Boborygmy

Hampton , VA USA

PC-50LC13; purchased 10/2003, bulb went first time at 09/2004, replaced under Panasonic warranty; went second time yesterday. I have an extended warranty and am awaiting technician arrival (Scheduled for Friday)

Ted Duncan REPLY
Unregistered guest
TED, when your bulb goes within one year do you just simply call panasonic for the replace to be sent out? Do they check your tv to make sure your bulb is out or do they just send it out for you?

THanks

Unregistered guest
Bought PT50LC13 2/28/04. Bulb exploded 3/7/05. Only one week ouitside of the Panasonic warrenty. Lucky I have a 4 year extended warrenty. Total hours could not have been more than 3500

Hampton , VA USA

Just call the Panasonic 1-800 number for Projection TV service. They will tell you the name/number of the nearest servicing technician. You then call them and they'll come out, check to see what the problem is for sure and then they order parts and you wait for them to come back to put the new parts in. This is my experience. In all, it took about two weeks.
But, I've seen other people on this board say that Panasonic shipped them a new replacement bulb.........

GOod luck,,

Ted Duncan REPLY
Unregistered guest
TED, thanks for the info. Its nice they send someone out. Have you heard of this problem with the LC14 models by Panasonic? This entire page is filled with the LC13 models and its bulb problems.

From what I hear the 14 has new circuitry to avoid this problem. Curious if you have any reliable info.

Thanks.

Anonymous

how often are these turned on and off in a day? could it be the off and back on cycle that is killing these lamps?

Unregistered guest
No. However that is a good asumption. The LC13 models have circuitry that runs to hot. The bulb's life is greatly reduced because of this excess heat.

I do think that LC14 has the new circuitry, but not totally sure.

Turning an LCD on and off does not effect the bulb.

Anonymous

I own a TV repair center, we are factory authorized for RCA, JVC, and Sony.

When TVs using high preassure lamps first came on the market there were many lamp failures. Most manufacturers realized that they had a problem matching the lamps they were using with the ballast supply.

The lamps Must be matched to the ballast. We have replace almost 50 lamp/ballast assemblies in In-warranty Sony LCD sets. RCA seems to have had the fewest problems with their lamp/ballast sets.

Panasonic projectors, including these models, need the ballast either replaced or modified when the lamp is replaced, if the ballast has not allready been modified.

We Strongly recomend to our customers that the lamp based TVs be run connected to a good uninteruptable power supply so that power line problems are eliminated. (We have many power line problems here in the west Florida panhandle.)

Furthermore, it is Very important that the AC line connection is a Good connection, always on. I have seen many lamp-based sets connected to a switched AC outlet or cable box were the AC outlet is not always on. This voids the warranty on most units. Manufacturers are, to a degree, ignoring this because they know they have ballast/lamp problems.

Enjoy your TVs.

TvLcD
Unregistered guest
Anonymous, I appreciate your knowledge of these technologies. Do you know if the Panasonic 50LC14, not the LC13's, have the lamp/ballast problem you speak of? This message board is filled with the LC13 models.

Are there any other recommendations you can offer to prolong the life of the bulb?

I have the TV plugged right into the wall, not into a strip or surge protector, is this okay?

Any info you can offer would be excellent, I have so many questions.

Thanks

jbowers
Unregistered guest
I bought my Panasonic 50LC13 9/26/2003, and the TV just quit working on 2/20/2005 - lasted about 16 months/3,500 hours. My problem is fairly unique, as I've read all of these posts and not seen one exactly like mine. The power light blinked red and the tiny red "lamp" light also blinked. However, if I unplugged the TV and plugged it back in, I got a solid green power light, and the TV would turn on normally! But it would only last for 1 or 2 minutes and then it would turn itself off and the red lights would blink again.

The guy at the local repair shop told me my lamp was *shorted* but not blown - that's why it would work for a few minutes at a time. He also replaced my ballast, saying that Panasonic had come out with an "upgraded" ballast for these units that should eliminate my future lamp worries (so I agree with those in this forum who suspect that the LC14 models have upgraded circuitry and ballasts). My total repair bill for the new lamp, new ballast, and his labor: $917!

The guy was VERY cool, though, and offered to do what he could to help me out. Since the TV was out of warranty, and I didn't purchase an extended warranty, he was able to get the parts covered under the warranty of another set he happened to have in his shop for a different problem. That reduced my bill to $329 for labor only. I figure I at least owe him a few cases of beer for that!

jbowers REPLY
Unregistered guest
Nice man. You got an awesome repair shop! Yea, I bought the LC14 -- hope it works out alright. I think it does have updated circuitry.

Do you hear you fan at all?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I'm going to post this again. :-)

I'm in the process of finding civil attornys. I would appreciate some input/help with this matter. Has anyone else been turning to legal help? Does anyone know of or how we can get the number of tv's sold better yet some sales list :-) start sending out emails and contacting others to get a better idea of the ratio? Again search the net and get on as many forums as you can to post the petition link!!! my email is losboyz@yahoo.com

Hampton , VA USA

Great News (for me): I called in my second bulb problem to my extended warranty company (NSI)on Monday--Color & Sound (Newport News VA) showed up today, put in new bulb and replaced ballast!
I'm back in business again (Let's hope for a long time.)

JAFSD
Unregistered guest
Well it certainly seems the 50LC13 is the issue. I've only seen one or (2) 60LC13 with a problem. Taking a stab in the dark here, maybe the 50" has an issue? Perhaps the housing is a little too close together on the 50" thereby generating more heat causing these bulbs to blow.

I found the lamp online.

http://www.ercservice.com/lamps/panasoniclamps/TY-LA1000.html

Hopefully that will help some of you out. I bought the 60LC14 about a month ago. I have been thrilled with it. I love it. I may never leave the house! I have found very few issues on the xxLC14. I read 35 reviews before I bought mine and only 2 of them were bad reviews. Remember most people won't say anything if they aren't having an issue, so that bodes well for the LC14 {knock on wood}

BTW, I bought a 4 year warranty that DOES cover the Lamp. Just in case. :-)

Darren170
Unregistered guest
I have been doing a lot of research and found the following information to help increase the length of the lamp and TV.

1. Use a power surge/conditioner.
2. Make sure your TV is in a well ventilated area.
3. The use of additional fans may infect effect the way the TV is designed to disperse heat, also may increase the amount of dust and dirt that collects inside. If fans are to be used use ventilation fans that vent hot/warm air away from the TV from the left side, the side that the lamp unit is located.
4. Try not to turn it on and off to many times, if you are leaving the room for half hour or so just leave it on.
5. The use of a UPS is a good idea but make sure you get one that can handle the power consumption. This is so that in the event of a power outage the internal cooling fan can run its additional minute or so before shuting down.
6. Periodically clean your TV, vaccum the side vents thouroghly and wipe clean any dust. While doing this clean the air filters (If someone has specs on how this is done please post).

If you can think or hear of anything else let us know.

Harley P
Unregistered guest
1st bulb 14 months 2nd bulb 3 months

2nd bulb went out today, last day of warranty... I called Panasonic customer service, got a canned message saying to call during business hours, which I will be doing tomorrow AM.

Username: Tipis

Jacksonville, Florida United States

I just blew my 3rd. bulb in 14 months..Panasonic would not help...they just want to blow me off. Have replaced my own bulbs...and have sighned the petition...Very tired of this. Cannot use the tv as advertised. Have also sent for the service manual to work on the air filter. Complaned that this information is not in the Owners manual...and it shows up only hafter the troubles beginn.

Will post the info on filters when I get it.

Linda Holley
Jax. Fl.

Linda Holley REPLY
Unregistered guest
Hey Linda, what model Panasonic do you have???

Lee Rose
Unregistered guest
Panasoncic 60LXC63 1st Bulb 6 months 1647 hours

Now 11 1/2 months and balast is dead

darren170
Unregistered guest
Bulb number 5, original ballast board just replaced and now the light engine assembly needs to be replaced. PT-50LC13. I think the LC in the model number stands for LOAD of CRAP and the 13 is for the number of hours the bulb will last or it could be the number of times the bulb needs to be replaced in its expected lifetime.

Username: Tipis

Jacksonville, Florida United States

Post Number: 6
PT-50LC13

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Well good news maybe!? Had some lawyers contact me about our little problem. (they currently have a suite against some other manufacturers and won against another one) I need to talk to someone who lives in California, that wants to help out and is very serious about the situation. Please email me at losboyz@yahoo.com

KEEP SIGNING THE PETITION!! EVERYONE NEEDS TO SEARCH THE WEB AND POST ON ANY FORUM THEY CAN FIND...

Post Number: 6
UPDATE - PT60LC13 - Bulb blew after 8 months (within warranty):

New bulb arrived, installed and works great! Overall experience with Panasonic CR's was very good. However, when it burns out the next time, after warranty expires (and I have to fork out $300), I'm sure my demeanor on the telephone will be s-l-i-g-h-t-l-y less courteous.

Thanks to all for your continued pursuit of the legal side of this problem,

-Bob

Unregistered guest
Panasoncic 50LXC63
Bulb went dead after 5 months (leass than 5 hours per day). It sucks!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Another update, I have a person reveiwing our claim, I also need anyone who lives in NY, NJ, CA to contact me please! John D I see your from NY send me an email please. I'm currently in Wisconsin, BTW.

Username: Namuna

NY/NJ

Panny PT-50LC13
Purchased: 12/03
1st Bulb blew today, 03/26/05

If these bulbs are blowing at such an accelerated rate...I don't feel so bad (at all) about the $500+ I paid for the 5-year extended warranty from Sears. The repair guy I just got off the phone with said the bulb is considered a "consumer replacable item" and is shipping the replacement to me...Hopefully only the bulb blew and not the balast too.

I'm going to check out that petition.

Username: Mouse48

I am so glad I found this website! I have a Panasonic PT-50LC14, which I purchased from Sears on 9/04. I have been lucky so far TV works great! I have mine plugged into a Monster Cable Home Theatre Powerbar 2100 with Clean Power stage 2 V2.0. I have not had any problems with surges and the picture is clear with digital cable.

Username: Mouse48

Would like to know if anyone has info on how to clean the dust filters. Where are they located? Also would like to know if any PT-50LC14 owners have had any problems with their sets. I am praying that my lamp holds out. Please email me at clelie1918@cox.net with any info you would like to share. Thanks!

Unregistered guest
My PT-50LC13 will turn on normally for about 20 seconds then turn itself back off and the LAMP light blinks red and the power light blinks red. I pulled the bulb out and it looks normal, no discoloration or any other noticable problem. I know the bulb is not "blown" because the TV will turn on and show a picture for about 20 seconds. Does it sound like I have a bad ballast? I went ahead and ordered another bulb. Should I replace the bulb and see what happens? I hate to gamble with my $300 bulb!
If anyone is going to file a class-action lawsuit against Panasonic for this, I will gladly join in. My bulb has 3175 hours on it. The owners manual clearly states I should expect approx 10,000 hours from my bulb...

Unregistered guest
An update on the repair on a PT-60LCX63. Ballast error March 15th. Local servicer, (Repair Group) as recommended by Panasonic, extremely rude and uncooperative. 2nd servicer checked on ballast part availability. "Out of Stock" w/2 week ETA. Got it kicked up to Panasonic Factory Service Rep. March 23 called Panasonic, note in record; Field Service Rep has arranged for Repair Group to do repair within 5 days of pickup. Called Repair Group, no pickup appt. avail. until March 29. Picked up March 29. Now waiting.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us