CRT vs LCD

Username: Marvel

CANADA

Post Number: 5
I want to buy a projection TV. I see in the stores that everything now is HDTV ready so I was wondering , do I need to pay at least double what a 50inch CRT would cost to get a LCD? I mean is it worth it? Is the CRT technology that old and dated that anyone serious about buying a large TV (like me) would be crazy not to get something like LCD or DLP? I just want to hear from some people who may know the tech better than me. I look around the store and a CRT looks pretty good and so does the LCD and the DLP and the plasmas for that matter. It's hard to really tell the differances from tech to tech when the whole room is full of TV's. Any feedback would be great, these forums are a great way to learn.

Thanks
M

Username: Quartz

Post Number: 2
I'm just researching this stuff myself, so I'd take everything I say here with a grain of salt, but;

The obvious advantages to LCD/DLP are;

1) A much thinner TV.

2) A TV with a lower power consumption.

3) A TV which is immune to the dread "screen burn-in" (which is important if you spend a lot of time in the on-screen TV guide, or if you play a lot of video games).

The obvious disadvantages to LCD/DLP are;

1) The LCD/DLP set has a "native resolution", generally around either 720 pixels or 1080 pixels tall, so the TV will have to down-convert 1080i to 720p or vice-versa. A CRT has no native resolution (although it isn't inconceivable that some of the CRT TVs do up and down conversion as well. My parents have a CRT TV which has what appears to be a "stuck pixel", even though that makes no sense at all. Perhaps the TV converts to digital, then back, and there's a stuck bit somewhere???).

2) I see complaints about audio sync problems (especially, it seems, with Samsung DLP sets). These are caused by the additional delay of digitally converting and processing analog input to turn it into a digital image. I've also seen one or two people complain that this lag is noticable while playing video games (a button-press on the controller takes a moment to affect the on-screen action, essentially). Low quality LCD panels with low response times will also produce a "motion blur" as fast moving objects traverse the screen.

3) LCD sets have the "screen door" effect (black squares around the pixels). Some people are bothered by the so-called "rainbow" effect you get with a color-wheel on a single-chip DLP set, and I've also read a number of complaints about noisy color wheels (although alegedly the newer TVs fix this with special air bearings). There's also the LCoS based TVs, like the JVC D-ILA TVs, which seem to be the best-of-both-worlds, with no moving parts, and no "screen door". The JVC sets also seem to be a little harder to find (here, anyways).

Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 5
MIKE: All TV's have plus and minuses. CRT have the best black levels and some of the best pictures,but they are big and heavy and need calibration and alignment maintanence. LCD and DLP are thinner and lighter nor are they prone to burn in. Once calibrated need no further maintanence, but do not do blacks as well as CRT.CRT are cheaper because it is a mature technology compared to the newer LCD,DLP TVS.

Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 6
Jason: All HD CRT have a resolution of 1080i all LCD and DLP's are 720P. All HDTV's diplay video in there native resolution, that being said its not a big deal for the set to scale the video to it resolution. Yes there were some sync problems earlier with some sets but these problems are being addressed.I don't know what wrong with your parents TV but it's not a scaling problem.

Bronze Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 95
mike I'm with ya man....

My gut tells me that Crt is still the way to go. But wanting to stay with the latest and greatest is causing me conflicts.

From reading all the information on boards like this I come up with many conclusions,

a) Cause of many Headaches
b) Tv resoultions is way ahead of source material DVD's are 420p as there original format. Very few tv programs are HD not what sure what hd they are recorded in 720p? 1080i??
c) Other then the weight of crt's not sure if anyone techonlogy is better then crt, I just think poster convence themselfs that the $$ they spent on there tv it has to be better,
d) I see the LCOS as the future, like someone said it's best of both worlds.

you said that you where in a room full of tvs and noticed no difference that the picture's where all great......

To me if you see no difference on screen a, b & c

that it all looks good, then the part of the decision is settled,

The ? would be does a big crt tv bother ya, or is a small lcd the way you want to go, but after consdiering a tv stand how much weight and space have you saved?

Is the extra $$ for the lcd or dlp tv worth it???

This stuff is so annyoing I'm to the point to forget it all anyway lol :p

Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 1
I have the same dilemma so I decided to use my PC logic. On the PC platform CRT is the best hands down for color calibration and refresh rates. two of the most important features of a monitor. The ONLY reason to go with an LCD is space issues. The cost is higher to run a CRT but the savings more then make up for that. I maintain that in a few years CRTs will be more expensive to own as it is a complicated unit requiring alot of parts and labor. I have a few in the box for when that happens in my attic.

With home entertainment TVs I apply the same logic, CRTs are indeed better, Burn in is not really an issue except in extreme cases. Besides most VGames have SW which changes the screen. No issue there.

I have shopped and researched DLP,LCD,PLasma and have decided those who are members of the "first on the block" crowd have a much inferior product then a name brand CRT big screen and paid WAY too much for it.

I don't see the price /performance ratio at a place where it makes sense to buy anything other then a CRT. I have had them and the maintinence is Nill. Clean the mirrors and lenses once a year. My Toshiba is 10 years ols and has never had an issue. Never bought a "service contract" Never needed it. It's time however to buy a non interlaced solution and CRT still is the king in my world despite the size.

I do believe the big box retailers would rather sell digital as they out the CRTs on the TOP shelves where the screens are not as bright as the DLPs and LCDs. I watch TV from the front and like a movie screen thats where the best picture will be anyway.

MAke a choice..$2500-5000 and up for a 50 inch digital or $1200-1600 for a Sony or better 62" CRT. No brainer for me anymore.

All that said I did buy a 32" Plasma for the BEdroom. ONLY becasue of ergonomics and room limitations. I hang it on a wall. Thats the only advantage I see with those for the money.

Nick The Engineer
Unregistered guest
I agree with Tom Bong above here... I've spent countless hours researching HDTV's and what to buy for my budget ($2,000). I've looked EVERYWHERE... If you want a Big screen then CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) is the way to go. Other TV's, just to name a few, like LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon), Plasma, LCD (Liquid Crystal Display), or DLP (Digital Light Proccessing); They all are inferior to CRT. Sure, maybe in a few years they might be better (MIGHT!), but as of right now, CRT is better. The HDTV I'm keeping an eye on is a 57" Hitachi CRT Rear Projection HDTV with a built in tuner and can be used as a monitor (Hitachi being the best of the best in projectors). All that and many GREAT features you can find at CircuitCity.Com for only $1,700!!! I don't know about you, but I'd rather spend that, than spend $5,000 on a screen that size (Plasma) with pixels the size of my head, and come to find out %10 of the pixels burn out in a year (Which happens alot), or find a big burn in image in it. CRT has been out so long that even though the tecnology may be a little primative in comparison to LCoS, but years and years of research has made is the best. I could go on and on and tell you that I'm and Electrical Engineer and that I KNOW how all these work to a science, but in short, CRT can make a black that LCD will never be able to make, and the color is AMAZING!!! CRT's take so little matenance too. I know of 5 buddies I can think of that have a 10 year old or 15 year old CRT projector that is still as good as the day they bought it (Mine is 5 years old and still running), and they (Or I) never replaced a single part! All in all if you want the best picture, and coincidently at the best price, the get a CRT TV for the LOVE OF GOD!!! If anyone wants to argue otherwise I WILL bring up the science. Better yet, if you plan on getting a new TV like me and your budget is the same or close to mine then I sugest you get the "Hitachi 57" HDTV (57F710S)". I know the guy who made it. Hurry and but it soon too because thats the last CRT model that Hitachi is every going to make :-( and like I said, CircuitCity.Com has it at the best price. Its weight is only 202 lbs. and its set at the perfect height for viewing. Heres a picture of it as well. Just click on the link.

http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/product/enlarged/hit/EC.HIT.57F710S.JPG

Unregistered guest
I apologize for my typos... I just re-read my post and found a few towards the end... Worry, Aorry, Zorry, Xorry, Dorry, Eorry... SORRY!!! :-)

If you want to ask any question then you can just e-mail me (Click on my name).

gnob mot
Unregistered guest
If it was so good, then why is it, "the last CRT model that Hitachi is every going to make"?

Doesn't make much sense to me!

What is the reasoning for discontinuing such a great technology.

Years ago the quality of CRT construction was excellent.
Then, they mass produced them and cut corners for profit.
Now, they have more failures than any other technology.

CRT's suck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
Finally someone who is not blinded by the technology and understands reality and economics.

CRT is the best, the most tested,economical solution at this time...yes right now. In 4 years that may change. There is alot of money being spent by Samsung,Toshiba,Sony and other STILL on thinner CRT technology. They know the fixed pixel world can only be made so well and so reliable. As long as they are still making and spending R& D money on CRT technology it is not obsolete and still the best value and picture for the money.

Yes I did buy a small Plasma for less then $800 for the bedroom. IT is used 5 hours a week at most.. The contrast and brightness levels are down becasue I watch it at night only. I expect it to last a long time at that rate. NO EW (brave)

I would not consider or recommend any fixed pixel TV for 5 hour a day Tv watching. BAsed on what I have read on all these boards alone!! Only Fan-boys and dissapointed buyers with high expectations.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
Show me proof where CRTs have MORE failure as a percentage of sold....You spew opinion as fact. Show that fact to us all. You can't!

SOny,Toshiba, Samsung,and others Are still making coming out with new thinner CRTS past 2006. Not exactly obsolete. I don't see that with VCRS..LOL
I will bet Hitachi will also. They are trying to force a market into making a change but will ultimatle make what the public demands. I belive the company that continues to make RPCRTs will sell a bunch in the nest three or four years. I don't consider weight an issue as these are not portable Tvs Neither is an 80LB 50 inch DLP. Weight is a non issue.

CRT technology is light years ahead of fixed pixel in relability....read these boards and that shouldbe enough proof for and non fan-boy defending the indefensable.

gnob mot
Unregistered guest
Rant, rant, rant.....

There are more CRT's in the field.
Therefore, they have the highest failure rate.

Analog CRT's suck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
Ahh Now its analog CRTs suck....You now qualify your stand so quickly.

Im very proud of you, apparently you are learning something.

Soon you will learn that analog CRT picture quality is the very benchmark your precious fixed pixel technology is attempting to achieve.

If CRTS suck why is it they are the very picture still used for comparison EVEN IN 2005!!!!! LOL

gnob mot
Unregistered guest
Fixed pixel display resolutions have already surpassed CRT resolutions except for LCD, which I don't really advocate. (poor black levels)

DLP displays are brighter, sharper, and clearer while being much larger that any CRT. Black levels are superior to any CRT display. Viewing angles are greater than any RP CRT.

Why are all manufacturers going to stop making them, tom?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
People have been saying that for the past three years yet new RPCRT models come out each year. WHY is THAT? (hand goes up) I know. Iknow.

As long as there is a market they will make them. Simple Business 101. There will be a market for them as long as the replacement technology is unreliable and expensive...Again Business 101.
The big box sellers are being spiffed by the makers to push the fixed pixel stuff hard as the makers do not WANT to make any more of them. They know it will be much cheaper to sell pressed silicon then hand make CRTs. But as long as there is a market they will keep putting out models. Iwas tod two years ago by a BB dweeb that I was looking at the final PRCRT products. Same tune different year.

DLP displays may be all of those things you describe just before they crap out at 18 months or for the lucky few, 5 years.

And they are NOT all those things when displaying non HD content. In fact they are much worse than CRT. And there is much more Standard content today by FAR over HD content and will be that way for the next three to five years. Pehaps then fixed pixel like DLP will have their collective shyte together , be more afforable and have a proven reliability track record...none of which is true today.

No Credibility, tom
Unregistered guest
Rant, rant, rant....

You're simply not believable!

You still can't compose or proofread, either.

Foolish ignorance is not sellable.

CRT's suck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
Again ask Samsung if foolish ignorance is not sellable? LOL

There are many here whinning that prove foolish ignorance is indeed sellable....and for great profit...LOL

No Credibility, tom
Unregistered guest
Rant, rant, rant....

You're simply not believable!

Foolish ignorance is not sellable.

CRT's suck!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
bump

No Credibility, bong
Unregistered guest
Take another bump off your bong, tom.

Then, go away!

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
bump not going anywhere.

No Credibility, bong
Unregistered guest
Is dinner over?

I see the CRT zealot has returned.

CRT's suck!

Username: Max_smart

Post Number: 1
I have to agree with Tom Bong. I bought a Samsung P5063W back in November and had problems with it being noisy out of the box. Then my son said he was having troubles with his Xbox. Reg TV looked horrible. I replaced it with a Hitachi 51F510 and can not be happier. Not a single problem and even regular TV look much better. I see I am not the only one with problems. I think as Tom really states it should better and less costly in a few more years.

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
Thank You Mr Brumly.

There is a very disgruntled defender here who has resorted to name calling becasue he has no valid logical argument against the terrible issues with this technology.

At least you got out with your money. The Hitachi is the brand Im looking at with a smaller screen though. I KNOW you will have many years of trouble free use.

Sandra L
Unregistered guest
Tom Bong is an as$hole for how he has been treating people.

He will get his just deserves some day.

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
LOL OK I'll be an A$$hole. IF I save someone the grief those with the WEGA craks or the myriad of Samsung Issues Its worth becaing called an A$$hole by faceless words.

Just sharing an unpopular opinion, Happens all the time. Nobody likes hearing I told you so. IM telling so BEFORE they spend the thousands on the crap fixed pixel technology.

If they choose to buy it anyway I have no issue poking fun at their plight. Wait a few years maybe then the technology will be worth it. Thats my meesage.

bong is an insulting troll
Unregistered guest
Looks like the ignorant illiterate b^stard has returned.

When are you going to learn how to type, bonghead? Are you too stoned or what?

Nobody gives a sh!t about your "meesage", retard.

Go play in the traffic, kid!

Observation
Unregistered guest
Quite a pis'n match, children!
Are your Mommies not around?

Bronze Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 99
lol

Display
Type Plasma
Pros: screen's phosphor coating creates lifelike color that is closest to conventional tube TVs

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-BJplUJp6xNn/learningcenter/home/TV_chart.htm l

Unsatisfied
Unregistered guest
I would have to agree with Tom. I purchased a 42" Sony LCD WEGA 1 month ago and have the 34" XBR crt. The only advantage of the LCD is the fact of it being easy to move and little depth. It is outclassed when it comes to picture quality. I regret jumping on the bandwagon and buying it.

Very Satisfied
Unregistered guest
You should have bought a DLP!
You would be pushing that CRT to the street.

If you had read bong's ridicule of people, you would not think of siding with the bast^rd.

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
I do think those who buy this technology are foolish yes! That does NOT change the fact that according to many here and on all the other forums there are way too many similar problems and rants. In fact MORE issues and rants then discussion of the merits as a percentage of posts. In no other group interest forum is that the case.

DLPs are the worst of the bunch so far as far as issues presented go followed closely by LCD RP. Read read read....Thats all the information one needs. Not my words. The words of actual owners. Thats the best argument in support of the bigger fool theory.

You can hate me for my opinion, and save a ton of aggravation and money if you just wait awhile longer. I'm o k with that.

Unregistered guest
Oh boy! I'll go with Tom's opinion. I was out shopping for a new TV with a limited budget. Spending much time viewing all the different types and model, I finally bought a Sony KV-DA34M61, after a side-by-side comparision. Yes, an advanced CRT TV.

Since most of the local broadcast is in 4:3 format and I only watch DVD, the Sony works beautifully, even when connected to my Shuttle XPC-77G5 running PowerDVD.

I may add, I'm very happy with my choice and thanks, Tom!

DLP Owner
Unregistered guest
Thunder8,

The 4:3 format is on it's way out.
Sony ain't what it used to be.
There's nothing advanced about CRT technology.
It's still an analog cathode ray tube. Nothing special.
Enjoy your relic.

tom,

There is no basis whatsoever for your comment that "DLPs are the worst of the bunch". There are occasional problems with all tv's and these forums prove it beyond any doubt.

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
Occasional? You call an interst group with 80-90% issue posts occasional? Read the "relic" CRT forums. YOu will see issues there as well..Only those issue will be on TVs that are 7-10 years old NOT ONE to TWO ...LOL Those "relics" are outlasting todays all flash no substance solutions and no $300 parts to replace every year or two......I challenge you to call your local TV stattion and inquire if they are replacing their :relics" with FP displays.....NBC,CBS,ABC ALL of them are NOT replacing their "relics" with FP and they certainly can afford to stay on the bleeding edge....yet they do not consider FP displays "professional quality". Why is that? I know.....guess you don't.

DVDs look better on 4:3 then STV stretched to distortion on a widescreen. A 4:3 screen can offer more screen area for the same 52" on much standard content. GO figure.

To tom
Unregistered guest
You haven't seen a real DVD movie until you have seen it in "WIDESCREEN" format at 720P with 5:1 Dolby Digital SS. You will think 4:3 sucks!

Widescreen EDTV blows away any 4:3 analog.
Seeing is believing! No stretching. Nothing lost on the scaling up. It's just beautiful.

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
I have 5.1 dolby sound with 2 SUBs. Both in bedroom and LR. I'm no stranger to home theater. The DVD movie will look just fine on a $1500 HD RPTV in 4:3 (with the bars) or a 16:9 (some again with bars). A 4:3 HD TV will show wide screen movies as well. EVen a 480i will show widescreen as well.

I agree EDTV looks great but with the rlack of quality content and the reliability issues on the displays, not to mention the huge costs involved. Its not worth the WOW factor today. In three years maybe.

To tom
Unregistered guest
I disagree!

A 16:9 set is the only way to watch true 1:85.1 anamorphic widescreen DVD movies. The 4:3 format I used to watch just plain sucks in comparison. The picture quality scaled to 720P is astounding.

Sure, a square box will show it, but not nearly as nice.

You haven't seen EDTV yet, so you can't even talk about the picture quality. Maybe you don't watch the networks, but most people do.

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
I HAVE seen EDTV and HD.I have a plasma on an HD cable box. I see late night TV in EDTV. Big deal. It is nice but not worth $3000 on issue riddled technology that wont last 3 years.

In my opinion its NOT worth it. The initial cost, the continued cost, the EW cost, the reliabilty question marks, the available content. And I know like all technological breakthroughs it will cost less then half of what it is and be three times as good after its been around awhile. That will take another few years in my book.

To tom
Unregistered guest
Your TW cable box is a digital to analog converter. It doesn't have an ATSC tuner.

You have never seen EDTV. You don't know what you're talking about, as usual.

Hurry up and buy your CRT and haul your ignorant dumbass off this forum. You didn't come here to learn anything, that's for sure.

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
REally? How do I get HD TV then in all it's glory. The TW HD/DVR box does not send EDTV though? I think you understand the technology less then I.

Silver Member

Post Number: 172
bump

martomophosis
Unregistered guest
God, shut up you dorks. It's just not worth it :-)
Tom is right tho'- for my 2c-
m@

Unregistered guest
LCDs biggest problem is bulbs burning out.
DLPs biggest problem is bulbs burning out.
Plasmas biggest problem is burn-in.
Either way YOU get burned!
CRT maybe ancient technology but it's perfected ancient technology. When Plasma eliminates the burn-in problem permanently and LCD/DLP gets there bulbs to actually last a few years then CRT will die, until then Long Live the Dinosaurs!!

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1685
LCD as in rear projection units, otherwise, they don't use bulbs.

Plasmas burn-in issues aren't significant enough to just eliminate them.

Also, Plasma can't eliminate burn-in, the phosphorous coating (which is what causes the burn-in) is integral to producing a picture.

CRT may be the perfected technology, but as you have said, other technologies are clearly getting better; we'll be seeing the demise of the CRT soon.

I'd rather replace a blub.
Unregistered guest
if they can get the cost down on the blubs, I'd rather replace a blub.

Silver Member

Post Number: 708
"Plasmas biggest problem is burn-in."

This is really not as big an issue as bulb burn out at all.

VEry few of the nwer plasmas have burn in issues. You have to TRY to burn one in in order to do so. I have left my cheap Plasma on all night on FOX news a couple times . No sign of burn in.

Maybe the ones at the airports burn in.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 867
What is this $800 plasma you speak of? I don't believe I have seen a true HD Plasma under 37" or under $2000. The only thing remotely close to that are the poorly made 42" ED sets that run about $1500. Maybe I am wrong. Do you have a model # or any pix? For $800 I'd gladly hang a plasma in my bedroom.

Silver Member

Post Number: 714
I boiugh at 37" HITACHI CMP307XU used. It is 4:3 what I prefer right now. (equivalent to a 46" widescreen). The seller was asking $990. I offered $850 and took it off his hands.

It was a no brainer.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 869
ALL HD broadcasts are in 16:9, so you would have to watch in a letterbox format giving you basically a 34" widescreen. Your basically losing 25% of your viewing area. Do you watch HD this way, or do you crop the picture?

Silver Member

Post Number: 715
I watch the picture as it is broadcast no matter which station or input. Most of what I watch is stll in 4:3 and with the EDTV standard TV looks much better then what I have seen with the HDTV.

For that money I have what I need for the current vaialability of HD content, From my bed the distance more then makes that difference moot. I do not subscribe to the HD tiers and most of our watching of that TV is later at night and it may be DVD and FOX/CNN

You do not need an HD set in the bedroom as much of the late non (HD tirer)broadcasts are not in HD content on most if not all of the cable stations.

If you are more then 11 feet away from a 37" screen it's a waste to pay the extra for HDTV over EDTV.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 870
I have the same exactly feeling when it comes to the bedroom. About the only thing I watch in bed is the local news, or maybe a late night show. I really don't need to see Leno, letterman or the local news anchors in HD.

I'm tired of the 10 year old bulky 27" CRT we have (colors off, too big for the dresser it sits on) and it will be replaced soon. Knowing your not a big fan of most of the digital technology would you recommend the 37" plasma you use? A couple of local closeout stores have it for just under $700 so it would be a good canidate. How would you compare the PQ to a SD CRT?

Silver Member

Post Number: 721
I bought the Plasma because I moved from Vegas to Myrtle Beach. In Vegas I had a wall cutout for the 27" TV, Not so in my home here. I hate Tvs on dressers or hung off the wall like a hospital room, So I began my research into flat screens. I decided aan LCD or Plasma woiuld work. I perused the classifieds and Ebay and found a used one in Vegas before I left. I did not want to spend $1500 on a technology I did not trust.

I read from a few sources EDTV translates standard TV better as it is a simpler conversion from to 480P. So the EDTV did not bother me. If and when HD is not so rare on 120 channels of cable I will choose the higher resolution models. But by that time there will be a 37" Plasma or SED maybe for what I paid for thos one. IF it craps out I will buy a small LCD as they can be had at that price point.

I think they look about the same in SDTV, but the 27 was a Wal Mart special RCA with a curved screen. DVDs look great though.

I am not even sure you can get this plasma anymore. The 4:3 FP displays are far and few between, I got lucky to find it in my opinion. The seller was buying one of those 50" Visio HDTV Costco was selling for $2500. Thats who truned me on to the Costco deal as far as their return policy as well. Needless to say I joined out here.

Unregistered guest
To: Tom Bong
I have read several of your post and agree with most of what you have to say. Your views on CRT are obvious and on the money. Would like to have your thoughts on the latest LCD offerings especially the 32" models (Sony, Sharp, Panasonic)

Silver Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 173
Sorry, but Tom Bong has been banned from this website.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us