Question About Making VHS copies of DVD (Stabilizer)

Scott Caleb
I have tried 3 different types of video stabilizers to make VHS copies of copyguarded DVD movies for my kids, and with each one, there are about 20 thin blue horizontal lines across the screen when the tape is played back.

The latest stabilizer I used is a Sima Copymaster. The only way the lines disappear is if I use the "black and white" switch on the unit, but then the video is dubbed in black and white, and I'd like to keep it in color.

Anyone know what the problem might be? I have tried using 2 different DVD players (Samsung & Apex) and 3 different brands of VCR (Sharp, JVC, and Panasonic). Please help!!

P D N
SCOTT CALEB, TRY THIS WEBSITE: cable-descrambler-rftplus.com

Scott Caleb
Thanks but the device from the link you apointed
is not working with DVD recorders.
Now I got another one from dimax.com.ua
It is working good with ny Panasonic DMR E30.

The best one I found with very good results was stardevelopment.com

It's called the Video Magic/DVD.
All I can say is that it works great with my Phillips DVD Recorder.

Anonymous
I am looking for a video stabilizer and I am uncertain which one to order. I am deciding whether I should purchase the star development one "video magic/dvd" or the one by dimax "red Pro"
Has anyone experienced problems with any of these stabilizers?
any reply would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Niw
Unregistered guest
I use DVD Red PRO
Had no problems with my Panasonic DMR E80
and Philips DVDR80
As far as I know star do not work with all DMR's
Regards.

just wanted to know
Unregistered guest
hello,
Scott i tried getting an international money order to send to dimax, but the post office states they do not have them for israel.
may i ask how you went about ordering the red pro from them.
thanks

Unregistered guest
I have the Dimax dvd red copy and it puts lines in the copied picture. It sucks.

Anonymous

Forget about hardware. Use a free software called DVDecrypter (spelling might be wrong). If works fine for all types of DVD.

Unregistered guest
FACET VIDEO offers 'the Clarifier' which is supposed to be the only one which defeats ver.7 copyguarding according to their webpage (fyi)

just wanted to know
Unregistered guest
i have a magnavox dvd recorder, i was looking at the star development video magic/dvd or the dimax red pro. i was just wondering if any one can help.
the magnavox states copy protected, and i was told i need something to take out the macrovision protection.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Username: Billyjoes63

Post Number: 1
Looking for a video stabilizer that will work into my pioneer 510H DVR. Any help will be appreciated.
Don't want to spend too much as I only have a few VHS movies to back up onto DVD

Unregistered guest
I purchased a Video Magic/DVD and am using it with a Samsung DVD-R4000 Recorder and am extemely happy with the results when copying protected DVDs and VHS tapes. The copies look as good as the originals with no artifacts. Go to stardevelopment.com to order but expect to wait up to as long as 4 weeks to receive the unit. Input and output is choice of either S-video or composite video. Controls on front of unit includes seperate controls for color, tint, brightness and contrast. However I found that the preset setting are excellent. Also includes a red indicator light to let you know when a transmission signal is received from either the VHS or DVD player. The unit does not run on batteries but with AC adapter. I highly recommend this unit.

stephan
Unregistered guest
Hello,

I'm using the Dimax DVD Red Pro device to copy my VHS tapes to DVD. I'm using a Panasonic NV-FJ630 VCR and a Philips DVDR-70 DVD recorder. I'm also using the Dimax S-video adapter. My problem is that the image of some video tapes remains black and white, with blue and red flashes through it. Some other tapes will turn to colour after a while, but as soon as I stop the tape and then play it again, it needs some time again to go from B&W to colour. Overall, the picture quality is pretty bad, much worse than the original VHS tape. This way, DVD Red Pro is no good to me. Dimax suggested me to try the C-video connection, although I was under the impression that C-video quality was worse than S-video. Anyway, I'll try it, but does anyone have any suggestions for me to improve the picture quality and get colour straight away?

Thanks

Gregs
Unregistered guest
I personally have a very good experience with my DVD Red PRO from Dimax
I use it with Panasonic DMR E80 and Philips DVDR75.
It works with both DVD and VHS. I also use S-Video adapter but only with DVD.
S-Video on VHS has no sense because VHS itself do not have separated Color and brightness
channels. As for your problem maybe you've got malfunctioning device. Try to exchange it.
What I liked in DVD Red PRO is cute design and original electronics solution.
I'm an electronic engineer and can understand how the "stuff works".
All other video stabilizers for DVD recorders use double conversion techniques.
They convert incoming video signal into RGB and then convert it back to Video.
This can definitely cause to quality reduction. Dimax is only smart digital filter.

AlexKKK
Unregistered guest
It may be due to the poor quality of tapes due to aging. If your VCR has tracking adjustment, it may help. I had another way to make copy without using the DVD RED PRO. I got a Panasonic DV CAM which can accept composite video input and output IEEE 1394 to the DVD Recorder. The conversion cracked the macrovision protection and tape is copied to DVD.

Fred
Unregistered guest
Has anyone tested the FACET VIDEO clarifier they boast a lot on their website. Also is it the same technology as the stardevelopment Video Magic/DVD in regards to what it can unscramble? I'm trying to decide which is better and would love to here your reviews. From the above reviews, the stardevelopment one seems to work well.

AlexKKK
Unregistered guest
have not tested Facet Video, but I am using DVD RED PRO perfect for my DVD recorder and it is cheaper. Also, it is not mentioned by Facet Video whether it accpept both PAL and NTSC signal. The DVD RED PRO does.

Fred
Unregistered guest
Thanks AlexKKK,

In this forum thus far The DVD RED PRO has gotten excellent reviews, but according to the Facet Website other products may not work with all DVD players. (They may be referring to Red Pro)
Facet's Website says that other video stabilizers rely on the fact that some DVD recorders don't such a good job of detecting copy protection and some players don't insert all types of copy protection into the video output. The Clarifier removes them all so there is no need to list compatible DVD players and recorders.
I can't tell if Red Pro has this technology. Its website lists compatable DVD players and does not claim that it works for all dvd players.
Facets Website also says The clarifier is supposed to remove ALL Copy Protection, Macrovision and CGMS/A and it is supposed to to be the only one which defeats ver.7 copyguarding according to their webpage.
So if anyone has a Facit product called the Clarifier, It would be helpful is you can let us know if you are satisfied with how it works and if it is all that it claims to be. Akso is anyone having trouble with the RED PRO?
Thanks

AlexKKK
Unregistered guest
VHS Tapes to DVD (2:26pm EST Wed Jan 28 2004)
I recently purchased "The Clarifier" from Facet Video, a device which over rides the copy protection found in many VHS tapes. I want to transfer all my video tapes to DVD. The "Clarifier" is quite simple to hook up and does indeed over ride the copy protection found on the tape...and does allow for good quality copying. However, everything is in black and white...no color. Can anyone explain to me why this is and offer a solution so that I might be able to make color copies of my tapes? I'm transferring from a Panasonic VCR NV-FJ620 Series, NV-FJ625AM to a Panasonic DVD Recorder DVR-310. I might add that when I connect the VCR directly to the DVD recorder/player, there's no problem with the color. When I include the "Clarifer", however, it's all in black and white. All help appreciated.
Thanks
John

The above is one problem encountered by John.

For your info.

Anonymous

Why DVD to VHS tape? Why not DVD to DVD? By using computer, all the problems are solved. It is cheaper, faster, last longer and most of all much better quality of being digital. The latest LG recorder costs less than 200 bucks and records in 8X. Someone has mentioned about the DVDecrypter and with DRShrink, you can put the huge data in a singer DVD disk. The technology is there and helps are plentiful. If you can write comments here, you are fully qualify for diving into the digital video era.

Sara
Unregistered guest
I recently purchased the DVD Red Pro and cannot get it to work right?! I'm not an electronic genius but it seemed pretty simple to hook up. I have a Phillips DVDR985 which Dimax said was compatible. I can get the light to go solid which is supposed to mean it senses macrovision but I still get the copy protect message. There weren't alot of instructions with the part so I thought maybe someone out there might have a suggestion. Dimax suggested trying several different tapes and my other VCR, I've done both with no luck. Should I exchange it for another?

AlexKKK
Unregistered guest
Suggest to exchange for another one and try.

Craig_Area450
Unregistered guest
I just tried the macrovision protected VHS to DVD recorder trick using a digital camcorder (mine is a Sony TRV-520) in between to convert from analog to digital. It works perfectly, unlike trying to back up the VHS analog directly to the DVD recorder analog inputs.

Of course, you must have two necessary ingredients to do this: a digital camcorder with analog input passthrough capability (and firewire output) and a DVD recorder with firewire input. There may be some other camcorders that have passthrough but won't let you do this, I don't know.

AlexKKK
Unregistered guest
Yes, as I indicated earlier, this can be done by certain DVcam, but not all model can do it, even only very few Sony model have this feature.

In case the DV cam does not provide this feature, it can still be done by first transferring the VHS tape to DV tape if your DV cam can accept line input. Then transfer again to DVD recorder via firewire.

Unregistered guest
hello

im an electronics technician and i just wanted to know if there was any way of taking the dvs chip out of a video player because i have an old awa video player that records everything pretty good and all and doesnt detect the copying static problem i guess it aint got the dvs chip in it

so i just wanted to know a cheap simple way to copy dvds to vhs and i love in australia so dont go giving me links for uk and america cause there no help

thank you

Username: Sc1653

Wisnton-Salem, NC USA

Post Number: 1
I am trying to copy some of my protected VHS tapes to DVD using an Emerson DVD Recorder. I have seen both The Clarifier and the Video Magic Ultra products online. Can anyone tell me which of these products will work for me?

Username: Andyyanov

Post Number: 5
Hi Stephanie!
Don't understand. I remember that I've already wrote answer for you... But Ok. I've tried different devices, but the best results I've got from DVD Red Pro device from Dimax company

Post Number: 6
By the way, Leo!
As I know Dimax company there devices DVD Red and DVD Red Pro have guarantee and they always support customers and if need they return money through PayPal.

AlexKKK
Unregistered guest
Hi Stephanie!
I am also using DVD RED PRO and it worked perfect. However, not sure whether it support Emerson DVD recorderY. Should check with them in case you'd like to order.

Unregistered guest
Hey Everyone,
I am interested in purchasing a DVD recorder-any suggestions. I also noticed that a DVD stabilizer may be needed to record. Please email me at nstyves@stonehill.edu for suggestions/tips/and all the products I would need to purchase. Thanks
Nate

Post Number: 7
Hello Nate!
Thanks for your asking. Was time when I asked help in this and another forums. So I have PANASONIC DMR-E30 in my own. It works good. All I need that only to insert DVD disk :-). So about another equipment it depends from what you need to do. I have videorecorder Panasonic SJ5 As you see I like Panasonic. Good, another thing I have it's DVD Red from Dimax Company. I like accuracy!!! So this device remove Macrovision protection from DVD disks and VHS tapes. I need it.

Unregistered guest
Help!!!

I have a video collection of over 700 titles. Most of the movies are on VHS tape and are several years old. The kids tapes are beginning to break due to excessive use. With the deterioration of our collection I decided to convert all of our VHS tapes to DVD. To accomplish this I purchased a fancy Sony computer with Giga Pocket software to produce the DVDs, with assurances that this would work without any problems. Now I find that this is not the case and the salesman has no answers.

Will any of the decoder products work with a standard Orion HQ video cassette recorder sending to a Sony VAIO 530G computer? Is additional software recommended or required? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Gary Reister

Username: Xol

Post Number: 7
What is your exact problem?

Unregistered guest
i have a digital video stabilizer and don't know how to hook it up. it shows how to hook up between two VCR'S but i have a STEREO VCR/DVD RECORDER built into one unit and i want to copy my VHS movies to DVD.it says to connect to the video stabilier from the video OUT on the VHS player and into the video IN on the DVD side but there's only DVD output there. i am PUZZLED!!! HELP!!

Anonymous

What is the type of your combo DVD/VCR ?
Let me know and I could help you.

AlexKKK
Unregistered guest
If there is no video out from your VCR and video IN to your DVD, you cannot use the stabilizer. You need to have two separate equipment, the VCR and the DVD in order to connect the Stabilizer in between.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Most of the comboa do have all needed inputs and outputs the question is how to make it work simultaniosly VCR-playback and DVD-recording but not in the internal dub mode.
For instance I have instructions on how to connect stabilizer to Sansui VRDVD combo I think it can be the same on other combos.

Bucky66
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony DVD player and and the Sony rdr gx7 recorder. When I try to record DVD's, I get the error message that it cannot record signal. I tried the Video Magic/PRO , but it did not work. Which decoder would be best to use with 2 sony players to get rid of this problem. I record DVD's for my kids. Thanks.

AntuanGr
Unregistered guest
Hello Bucky66!
I will try to help you. So Dimax company with their DVD Red Pro support your type of recorder. If I understand well even if your video recorder not in list it does it mean nothing. That guys can help you. Ask him.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Yes this one will work for sure.

Bucky66
Unregistered guest
Thanks guys. I will try that one. Much appreciated.

daviddd1078
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know where you can buy the power cord for the dimax DVD Red Pro. They charge an extra 25.00 for the power cord, video cables and shipping. I only need the Red and the cord.

Anonymous

I use one from RadioShack

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Hello daviddd1078!
Complete set for DVD Red Pro include two videocables and power supply. So you no need
to buy it separately.
Andy.

John Right
Unregistered guest
Today I've got DVD red pro. And it work great as promised. It copies my old disks and all new disks. I am pleased.

mknave
Unregistered guest
i own a Phillips DVDR985 video recorder . I cannor record most of my vcr tapes or my dvds on it with out getting a copy protected signal, cancelling thre recording, can this be avoided?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Yes sure. You must use DVD Red PRO

Good luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Hi!
It's Andy. Please read information and may be answers in discussion above. If to say in few
words you can use DVD Red Pro.

Electron Slim
Unregistered guest
You can record ANYTHING to dvd no matter what the copy protection is. You need a pc with video inputs and a program to watch the input on your monitor(usually comes with the pc). I Added a grandview ultimate xp pro pc to tv converter. About $70 (search for "grandview" to learn more). It's connected to the pc monitor output. it's s-video output is connected to the dvd recorder which outputs to my tv. Play a dvd in your pc drive too. Use realplayer or windows media player, whichever, go full screen on them to fill your monitor. The converter is adjustable to make the tv full screen. Works on any computer o.s. system. Now backup your dvd's or tapes. No problelm. Ever. Did this help? Later, Electron Slim

Electron Slim
Unregistered guest
Oops. It's grandtec, not grandview.
Electron Slim

Unregistered guest
I have purchased a pioneer 510hs dvd recorder in the past couple of months.. everything works great except my sister in law has four vhs home recordings from 17 years ago, of her kids etc., that she needs tranferred to dvd..The tapes play perfectly on a vcr,no flaws whatsoever..but when connected to the dvd unit I get bad distortion especially when sceen pans out from a close-up..
I tried pioneer help but they can't help me...
will the red pro or clarifier work for this problem?..definally need help !..

Bronze Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 45
A stabilizer is for pre-recorded media with macrovision, not for home recordings. How is the VCR connected to the DVD? I've copied videotapes many times on my Panasonic without problems, they look alot better than the original recordings. Never tried a camcorder recording so I don't know if that would make a difference but I wouldn't think so. Have you tried copying a regular videotape recording, not from a camcorder?

Unregistered guest
Thanks David!
My Pioneer DVD recorder is connected outputs to inputs at a RF-modulator at my tv..I have outputs from my VCR to input L-1 on the Pioneer dvd recorder..which is suppose to be the input for vcr in..The Pioneer people seem to agree this is correct..I have tried to record both to disk and to the hard drive but both show the distortion..
Can this be due to the Copy Generation Management System / Analog (CGMS/A)thus maybe a 1987 vs 2004 analog/digital problem.. This was suggested by Pioneer help as sort of a dead end situation..But again I was not fully satisfied if any stabilzer could help........

Unregistered guest
I forgot--Yes all other VHS to DVD recordings work fine..I have transfered several european VHS movies not home recordings to DVD with no problems..But can this be just a older home video camera problem...
These older 1987 home movies are crystal clear when played back on all of several VHS units that I own...
A phone call I made to the Clarifier people today stated that I probably need the clarifier, the $99.99 one installed between my vcr and the dvd recorder..but i am still not convinced that this will work..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
I would think you could take them in to someplace that converts VHS to DVD and have them do it for less than $100. I don't think a stabilizer will do any good, I can't say that for sure but they are primarily for removing macrovision copy protection. I have a cheap stabilizer that I only paid $20 for, it works fine for copying pre-recorded videotapes but it doesn't work when trying to copy DVDs. I have never used a camcorder so I don't know anything about them but if they play fine I can't see why they won't record. I don't know why they would use any type of copy management system on a camcorder as stuff like that is usually used to keep people from being able to make copies of pre-recorded material. I don't even think they used stuff like that until digital equipment came around that could make copies without the degradation that analog copies have. When it is just playing through the recorder what does it look like? Is it only when recorded or is it distorted just playing through the recorder?

TerryHawkins
Unregistered guest
The picture is distorted even by just playing thru the recorder..The Pioneer people seem to think that the copy management system on the dvd recorder might be picking up something in the siginal from the older vhs tapes that's triggering the distortion but i'm still like you and this just doesn't make any sense..I also can't see the Clarifier helping me either..but it seems like somehow these should work...

JWhite
Unregistered guest
I recently purchased a Pioneer DVR-220-S. Does anyone know if the products from from dimax.com.ua work with this? It is not listed in their DVD recorder compatible list and I have e-mailed them but haven't received a respose yet.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Yes it will work

Hiatus
Unregistered guest
Hello. I have a Panasonic DMR E-55. Do you know which of these devices would work with it to defeat Macrovision and allow me to copy DVDs?

Anonymous

I would like to copy VHS tapes (taped from cable) to DVD. My problem is that I have different type of content on any particular VHS, e.g., English comedy then a Hollywood movie and then a western. I would like to group the content, e.g., English comedies all onto one DVD. If I purchase a combo VHS/DVD recorder, is this possible to do? Are DVD's like CD-R's--that is, you can only record onto them once, so you better have all of your content compiled together before the duplication is made. I cannot use my computer as it does not have a DVD burner. I'm on a limited income, so I would like to do this as economically as possible.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
DVD-Rs or DVD+Rs are one time like a CD-R, DVD-RWs DVD+RWs or DVD-RAMs are multiple use like CD-RWs. Combo units generally use cheaper components than seperate machines do so if you already have a VCR you would probably be better off to just purchase a recorder. Any DVD recorder will copy from a VCR and that would save money too.

Andy Yan
Unregistered guest
Hello Mr. Hiatus!
As you can see above DVD Red Pro can help you. I can confirm this because I use it for same purposes for enough long time.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us