Archive through December 28, 2005ceh100
Archive through October 11, 2005BobTV100

Bronze Member
Username: Nasaman

Post Number: 14

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
And I believe in this country the courts decide what is fair. You can read about it here:
http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/sony-class-action-lawsuits

Unless of course Mr. Linke feels he knows more than the United States Legal System (and I'm sure he feels that way).

Bronze Member
Username: Conedreill1027

Post Number: 13
How many times has the legal system been wrong Brian? How many innocent people are incarcerated due to legal technicalities and mistakes. That is the reason there is an appeal system because the courts recognize they are not always correct.
Many consumer products have been said to be fine until someone gets hurt or killed. (Baby high chairs, cribs strollers etc...) What about the melting door on these sets it's a fire hazzard. I am nervous leaving my sons watching the TV as they fall asleep at night, and I always unplug the set unless we're using it.
What are your credentials for posting here do you have any legal degree or are you just an lowley employee of Sony, kissing their a__s looking for a promotion. You add nothing to this forum you only make us stronger and more determined to fight. There are many intelligent people on this forum and FB that can see through you and the fact that your an employee of Sony.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
You make a very argument.

Username: Wedge1

Post Number: 6
"You make a very argument". Can't Sony even afford to hire shills who graduated elementary school. You are so pathetic. You and Sony sicken me to no end.

Bronze Member

'You make a very argument" ???????
This is the best Sony has to offer defective employees, just like their TV's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Marianne,
Forgive the typo. I omitted the word, "convincing". Since we're moving down to proof reading, in your post above your state (sic), "FB that can see through you and the fact that your an...". Please note that the word is, "you're" as it is a compound of the words, "You are".
However it is a pretty standard mistake.

Bronze Member
Username: Homebrewer66

Post Number: 22
I don't know why anyone bothers to respond to Brian May anyway. I have had a weekend of second guessing and I still am pleased with the direction I took even though I knew I had a tough road with my states laws. I could have spent money on a lawyer but chose to do it myself.
I have posted on my Face book page about my case and asked all my 166 friends to think hard about buying a Sony product in the future. I have told everyone at work that I interact with which is around another 100. I have told people in church and in other social settings which is about anther 200. I will continue to tell my story and all of your story's to anyone that I come across. In fact I was in Target over lunch today looking at clearance electronic and told a customer who was looking at TV's at Target. It gave him pause also.
Brian, I work for a cable company and deal with customers on the phone or through support forums. I would never talk to customers or potential customer the way you talk here if you really are a Sony spy.
Anyway good luck to all and if I have any new news I will post it.

Thanks to all who continue this fight.

Bronze Member
Username: Barbblack

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 68
Excellently stated, Pale Ale. Congratulations for having the courage to take on this ethically-challenged company, knowing that they have $$ billions to fight us all. I'll be doing the same thing next month and will not be surpised if their expensive lawyers come up with some technicality to use against me as well. (Can anyone fathom what this company is thinking? Their reputation on the street is taking a growing hit and they simply do not seem to care.) Keep spreading the word, everyone!

Silver Member
Username: Slinke

Post Number: 161
I, like Brian May, also encourage everybody to visit my web page on the class action lawsuits against Sony:
http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/sony-class-action-lawsuits

What you will find there is that, to date, there has been only one case (on the 2005 XBR1 models) that has undergone final review by a judge. This was a settlement negotiated between Sony and some attorneys representing 2005 XBR1 owners. Judges must take many factors into account when approving a settlement, but the most important one, as far as I am concerned, is whether the relief offered to customers is adequate given the risks of a potential loss of the lawsuit if it went to trial.

In the XBR1 case, the judge commented at length about the adequacy of the settlement, which included a warranty extension for free optical block replacement. If you look at pages 16-17 of the judge's Opinion and Order approving the settlement, he goes out of his way to state that he felt the brief warranty extension to June 30, 2009 was adequate, because Sony had convincingly shown that they had made improvements to the optical block that made it "nearly certain that any class member who will experience a problem with the Optical Block will do so before June 30, 2009."

Unfortunately, XBR1 owners continued to experience optical block failures of the same type after that deadline, on both their original and replacement optical blocks, as are owners of models produced after the XBR1 (e.g., XBR2 and A2000).

So, in the one settlement (not even a judgment) case that has been reviewed by the legal system, it was determined that it was fair that customers would receive free, re-engineered replacement optical blocks, if their optical block was defective. That sounds fair to me, too. Unfortunately, that has not been the reality.

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
I updated my web site to include scientific studies on the longevity of 3LCD projectors and Sony KDS-R50XBR1 TVs. I have been meaning to add this information to my web site for quite awhile, and I have finally done it. Even if it is not immediately useful, it could be a good, if frustrating, read.

Username: Jimma

Post Number: 1
Everyone here please join my networking group:

http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2958744&trk=anet_ug_hm

Username: Geezergeek

Has anyone filed a SC in MA? I'll be filing shortly and would appreciate feedback to help with strategy. Also has anyone in MA sent Sony a 93a letter to Sony and if so did they respond and what did they say. Mine is going out tomorrow and they have 30 days to reply

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 69
@geezergeek, I am from MA and my Small Claims court case will be heard on May 4 in Westborough District Court. I will contact you privately.
Barb

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Be sure to see Steve Linke's website for some great legal advice. Print everything you can and just hand it to the judge.

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 70
Obviously your post is laced with sarcasm, Brian May. (I've done enough research to know not to present my case in the manner you suggest.) What I don't "get" is why you are posting here. Are you trying to goad people into spending sufficient, thoughtful time preparing their Small Claims court presentations, or are you using this venue to defend Sony, belitle Steve L. and attack the rest of us? What are you getting out of this?
Your anonymity goes to the heart of your credibility.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
You would be surprised to learn more about Steve L and his motivation.

Bronze Member

Sigh......... Everyone just stop entertaining Brian May. Ignore, do not respond to his lame posts.

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
"Brian May," I have already publicly shared information about myself and my motivations on a number of occasions, but please share your findings. I am confident that they are as defective my optical blocks were. Yikes! :-) One thing is for certain, it's posts like yours that really motivate me to continue fighting for the rest of the consumers, even though I have already received a fair judgment (~$2,300) from the legal system in my individual case.

To reduce your level of hypocrisy, I also welcome you to share with everybody some details about yourself and your motivations, rather than just taunting customers and taking pot shots. Oh, and my offer still stands that if you can document any errors on my web site, I would be happy to correct them. Keep making.believe! ;-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
I have no knowledge of anything to the contrary of anything you post or to the validity of your legal advice.

Bronze Member
Username: Jfaaborg

Ya "making.believe" I like that one...

Post Number: 2
Is anyone aware of a Sony Owner that has filed a non SC suit against them? In my state it costs $40 to file and SC suit and $200 to file a District Court case. It is more complicated. However, if you can figure out how to state the complaint so Sony can't get the case dismissed and put together the discovery, production and interrogatories, it will cost Sony exponentially more to defend. And this is all about cost to Sony. Even if the discovery they provide is boiler plate no good lawyer worth their salt will let it go out the door without reviewing it. $15 grand minimum to defend a $2000 suit. As an If they are late providing discovery, as an example, you file a motion with court. Their lawyer has to attend and the meter is running.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Good Luck Jon....

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
In my small claims case in San Diego County, I personally served this document subpoena to Sony Electronics for materials related to optical block design, identified defects, alleged re-design, etc. However, Sony never complied with the subpoena, which I mentioned to the judge at my trial. He may have taken Sony's failure to provide the documents into account when determining that the optical blocks contained a latent defect (I am not sure).

Small claims court is supposed to be the "people's court," not requiring attorneys. Perhaps document discovery would be more effective in district court, as the subpoena might have more teeth, but doing it without an attorney familiar with local rules and procedures could be very challenging.

Post Number: 3
Steve

SC is supposed to be the peoples court but that concept varies among judges especially when one side is without an attorney and the other side comes equipped. Some judges just bond with attorneys.

You are right about the complexity of rules in a district court. However, most rules are part of a states general laws and are available on line. The defendant can argue that certain discovery is inadmissible and that is were motions come in. The issue is they would have to spend the dollars and you would need to commit the time.

The reason I asked about whether the forum has knowledge of individual district court suits is that those filings are public records and may be available online and can be used as a template if anyone wants to choose the district court route. If they exist they may have been prepared by an experienced lawyer wanna be or an attorney that should already be aware of the rules.

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 71
In Massachusetts, SC cases are heard by Clerk Magistrates who might not even be attorneys.
I sent you a private message through this forum, @geezergeek. Did you receive it?

Post Number: 4
Barb

I did respond to you yesterday personally. Check your junk mail and I will send again.

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 72
Got it, Geezergeek. Left you a message.
Barb

Silver Member

Post Number: 165
geezergeek, I am not aware of any cases that have been done in district court yet. If you find any, I would be happy to post the public domain documents.

I ask people to send me as much documentation as they can on their small claims lawsuits, but even that is hard to come by. I think people want to stay anonymous whether they win, or particularly, if they lose. And I know that many of the cases in many different states are being settled by Sony before trial in amounts that probably range between about $500 and $1,500.

However, Sony apparently insists on confidentiality to the point that the plaintiff is not allowed to even say that they received a settlement, and they are not allowed to make any more posts to the Internet, or they are in violation of the settlement agreement. So, many people who have filed small claims lawsuits, or are otherwise in negotiations with Sony, suddenly disappear without a peep. Presumably, these customers are relatively happy with the outcome, though, and that is what is important.

Post Number: 5
Sony is doing what is right for their company when they insist on confidentiality when they settle. They are also acting in the best interest of their stock holders. However, that does not give them a legal pass to take advantage of consumers that have bought their products with the expectation that they were buying quality and reliability.The benefit of this forum and your site is that a large body of evidence can be accumulated prior to people being gagged to assist in negotiation and legal action against Sony. Hopefully this will balance the scales a bit.

Username: Maxtcee

melted light cover burnt wire and 6 blinking lights

i have a kdf60xbr950 that has a melted light cover burnt wires for the light cover push sensor and blinking six times after stumbling onto this sight i notice this is a known problem with this set i contacted sony and at first the rep wanted me to pay for the repair
after reaming him about class action suits and fires and suck he then chnged his tune and said sony will send a tech over to repair for free and if its not reapirable i would get a refurbished unit
i read on here that refurbished is not the way to go so im asking what are other methods you guys suggest
also do you think the tech wll repair it or will he say its a loss
any suggestions is greatly apreciated
thanks in advance

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
maxtcee,

It is sad that Sony does not immediately mention its warranty extension for your issue when customers first call. They apparently continue to initially hide this, at least from some customers.

The technician will likely deem it not repairable, if there is damage to parts beyond the lamp door, such as warping or cracking of the main case or other adjacent parts. If yours has reached a point where it no longer functions, it may be more likely that it is not repairable, but not necessarily.

If you consider this a safety issue (e.g., burnt wires), I urge you to file an Incident Report with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Please see my Lamp Overheating Issue web page for details on this problem, including a link to the CPSC.

Refurbished may or may not be OK. Sony may also offer you a new TV, but it would likely not be a 60", and you would likely have to pay a substantial portion of its cost. In fact, even a refurbished TV that Sony offers is unlikely to be a 60"--perhaps a 52" or 55" at most.

Steve Linke

Username: Maxtcee

so what is your suggestion other then filing a report which i just did
i mean basically even if the repair guy says he can fix this unit i dont want it if its going to be a hazard issue also i read here that they fixed it only to be broke one day later as well
as far as replacing it what are some of the offers ppl have gotten here
also i might note that before i found out all this i ordered kdl52xbr9 i have been researching about this model and havnt found and alerts on it yet does anyone here know of any known issues with this unit

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
In theory, the repair fixes the melting problem, as it supposedly includes different parts than the original design. Here are some sample offers made to XBR1 owners in the past couple of months:
55HX701 - $550
52EX701 - $550
52EX700 - $325 (newly available?)
55EX501 - $350
55EX500 - $225 (newly available?)
46NX700 - $160 (may no longer be available)
46Z5100 - $50
46V5100 - Free (may no longer be available)
46VE5 - Free (probably no longer available)
46EX700 - Free

Username: Randalljackson

Palm Desert, California United State...

I have a Sony KDF60XBR950. Its considered a 2003 model even though it was made in March of 2005 and sold to me in June 2005. on April 26, 2010 Sony made the following offer:

KDL52EX701 $750.00 + local sales tax
KDL55EX501 $550.00 + local sales tax
KDL46EX700 $200.00 + local sales tax
KDL46V5100 $100.00 + local sales tax

Very upset that Sony is only offering smaller replacements for my $4,000 60 in TV. I am a California attorney and have never sued anyone for myself but Im just pissed off enough to do it. Now I need to decide if its small claims court or superior court. By making my life difficult it will only be more expensive for Sony in the end.

Bronze Member
Username: Lisamcgu

Post Number: 64
Randall - I have the same tv, and went thru the same thing with Sony deciding that the tv was a different year than even the model number printed on the back, so they could avoid a warranty situation. You may see my posts throughout above and see what I went thru and how I ended up having them pay for a new OB and lamp door, but perhaps it would be better to read Steve Linke's posts and find the link above to his website which has copies of ads where Sony states how long their tvs should last (note - it is alot longer than 4 yrs), patents applied for before mfg, where they try to solve the overheating problem (proving they obviously knew about the problem but mfged and sold the tvs anyway) and tons of factual numbers and research. All there for you. If you are an atty, it would be easier for you, than for any of us, to go the Superior route, and something we have all been waiting for someone to do. Please let us know what happens. Thanks for posting.

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 73
Ah, the irony. Randall! You are an attorney in a state that doesn't allow attorney representation in Small Claims Court, so Sony would not be able to send a lawyer against you there. Many of us (I also have a $4000 60" WEGA--different model--with a second failing optical block) have been slammed by Sony's attorneys in states where lawyers are permitted in SC. My case comes up in Massachusetts next Tuesday. (On Steve L.'s page, you can click on a link to a copy of the lawyer's letter that I received. Be sure to check out my "offers".) Sony will be able to use some of their "dirty tricks" (read the class action lawsuit page on Steve's site) if you go after them in superior court, so I would think you'd find it much easier---and be more successful--in Small Claims court.
Yes, it would cost Sony more to defend in superior court. However, given Sony's behavior up to this point, it appears that they really don't care how much they spend to keep the magnitute of this defect quiet.
Barb

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Barbara - I think it depends on the case. From reading these posts, I remember at least one case in which the atty 'settled' the case outside the SC doors before the trial started. And in one of the Class Actions, last I checked, they were in the process of settling. Not having the same model tv, you may not know that his issue with the lamp door may make him a good candidate for settling as well.

Further, I read over the class action suit and didn't see any 'dirty tricks', but standard legal practices of a company trying to win its case. Things that would not intimidate an atty, and that he would anticipate and be ready for. You may forget that the reason most hire an atty is that they feel passive and can only react to the legal manuevering of the opposition with no knowledge of how to aggressively instigate their own 'dirty tricks'. With this, an atty, even better a trial atty, is in a prime poistion to sue for fraud and punitive damages. (Thanks Steve for those patent apps and for the numbers on all the defective tvs Sony has sold.) In Superior Court, one may ask for punitive damages. And what are Russell's damages. That depends on what he believes. If Sony doesn't like it or Sony thinks it is too much, boo hoo, nothing they can do about it but cry. The fact is Sony will likely settle, right or wrong, and the monetary settlement will be substantial, because of such punitive damages. At least compared to what any of you have received, or will receive, in Small Claims. If this was to happen, it would benefit us all by opening the doors and providing more info on what 'dirty tricks' Sony uses, etc. Even just the initial correspondence before filing may make a difference. It is amazing the effect an atty's letterhead, let alone representation, has on the defendant's eagerness to settle.

Finally, lawsuits are like going to Vegas. They are a gamble. You never know who is going to win or what is going to happen, but the 'odds' go way up when using an atty, paid or atty friends or self, needing to pretty much only worry about losing initial court costs, depends but around $3,000 to $5,000, if you lose. But if the other side chooses to settle and get the mess out of the limelight before filing, or after filing but before trial, which the odds are they will, you get it all back plus, in Superior Court where punitive damages are allowed, perhaps alot more.

Username: Mikeyzgcd

San Diego, CA USA

Hi all,

Just got my San Diego Small Claims court date today: June 10th. This date can't come soon enough! I've read most of the suggestions regarding preparing for court. Wish me luck. Hopefully, I'll be able to post the results of my case.

Bronze Member

good luck!

Username: Rmharper

Can anyone share their experiences dealing with Sony in Australia?
I've got a very yellow 50A10.

This is a follow up to my April 26 post. On April 27, 2010, I sent a demand letter similar to Steve Linke's to Sony's Executive Review Committee in Florida. I rejected the offer (detailed in April 26 Post) and gave Sony three options 1 Repair my TV without cost; 2 Replace it with another 60 inch TV without cost; or 3 refund the purchase price. On Monday May 3, 2010, I received a voicemail message from Sony acknowledging the letter and requesting that I call customer service at 800-430-4433. I returned the call and was politely told that Sony rejected all three proposals but I could still buy a replacement at a discount. I again rejected this offer and told them that I would be proceeding with litigation as promised in my demand letter.

On May 4, 2010 I received another voicemail message from Sony requesting a return call. We had the same polite conversation that I had the day before. Not sure why they called again.

Today, on the "I Have a Defective Sony TV" Facebook page I saw a different telephone number with numerous reports that much better offers are being made to resolve problems. Several people report that they were offered 60 inch replacement TVs (discounted, not free). I called 800-554-6908 and spoke with a gentleman named Paul, who I believe was somewhere in the US as he did not have the same accent as the agents handling my previous calls. He reviewed the file and said Sony should be replacing my optical block as part of the extended warped lamp door warranty claim. I'm willing to see if this works. If you are in the United States and already have a reference number, I suggest trying 800-554-6908 to give Sony another chance.

Silver Member

Post Number: 168
Randall, do you have signs of the lamp overheating issue (e.g., warped lamp door)? If so, Sony should repair or replace your TV free of charge.

The repair technician Sony will send to your house to diagnose the problem will determine whether you have the overheating issue, and, if so, if it is repairable. If it is repairable, they will likely only repair the overheating problem and leave your optical block alone. If it is not repairable, they should offer you a free comparable replacement.

See my Lamp Overheating Issue page for additional details.

Silver Member

Post Number: 169
Roger, Sony Australia seems to be even more resistant to acknowledging optical block problems than Sony US. However, I know of several Australian customers who have eventually received repairs or discounted replacement TVs after being persistent. Call them and tell them you know all about the defective nature of their TVs, and see what they are willing to do. See my Sony LCD Rear Projection TV Problems/ web site for additional details.

Username: Jjhawksjj

Post Number: 9
Can anyone tell me what they're doing with their TV's once they've either won in SC court, decided to take Sony's offer and purchase the discounted TV, or simply buy a new TV on their own?

I recently received another offer which I'm seriously considering as I'm just not sure I want to hassle with SC court. I'm going to discuss the SC case with an acquaintance of mine who happens to be a lawyer to see if he think this is worth pursuing.

I was thinking I might take the new offer and then try to sell my 55" blue screen TV to someone dirt cheap. Thinking some handy electronics person might be able to replace the OB themselves cheaper than what an electronics repair shop would charge.

At one time wasn't there someone on here who removed their OB themselves and sent it out for repair?

Username: Tmstruthers

JJ,

I took the offer from Sony and got a flat-panel 55" for $225 (no tax, no shipping). I removed the OB from my 60" television myself and sent it to Tri-State Module (see Steve Linke's web page at http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/sonykdf-55wf655opticalblockrepl acement for details). They repaired it for $300. It was shipped back to me within a week and I luckily put it all back together. The picture looks brand new again.

Username: Tmstruthers

JJ,

Just keep in mind that repairing the OB is a short-term fix (likely 3 or 4 years). The problem will recur as it's a manufacturing defect in Sony's OB.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
tstruthe,
How do you know? Is it because a few people had it done and they failed? Is it a few out of 100's. 1000's, 10,000's, Millions? Is it because you read it on the internet? Is it because, "some guy" who you don't know, said it on the internet? You don't really know who the guy is, who he works for or what his motivation is, or is there some science?

Username: Mombasa00

CA US

Brian, mine was replaced twice (within weeks) and still failed. Sony themselves decided they'd rather offer a replacement. If it was fixable, why would Sony make offers? I would rather have it fixed as I have a 60 inch and Sony will only offer 55" at best (and that even at some cost to me). How unfair is that?

Silver Member

Post Number: 170
The evidence of defective optical blocks is overwhelming. See my Optical Block Design page for details and links to numerous documents. Here is a brief overview:

1. Sony published many patents in the late 1990s and early 2000s describing how light and heat can lead to degradation of optical block parts (e.g., the liquid crystal panels and polarizing plates). However, they did not use the proposed cooling inventions in the optical blocks of their TVs.
2. Independent testing lab "Intertek" did multiple scientific studies on 3LCD and SXRD optical blocks shortly after their release to the market, and they observed the exact types of discolorations (e.g., blue and yellow) eventually reported by owners of Sony's TVs. In addition, Intertek correlated the discolorations with degradation of the same optical blocks parts described in Sony's patents as being susceptible to light and heat damage.
3. Scientific literature, including the highly regarded "Polarization Engineering for LCD Projection" by Robinson, Chen, and Sharp, also describes longevity issues of the same parts due to exposure to UV and deep blue light.
4. I have seen and posted pictures of the aforementioned degraded parts from several optical blocks, and replacement of the parts temporarily fixes the discoloration issues.
5. Sony extended the warranty on the optical blocks of almost every projection TV model they ever produced from 2003-2007 due to their recognition of the failures.

Despite this overwhelming evidence, there are still some optical block defect deniers out there, but, unlike those who have demonstrated the problems, the deniers have refused to identify themselves or their motivations--nor have they presented any evidence to support their case. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Fantasy

Steve-

A technician came to my home four weeks ago and confirmed both the warped lamp door and optical block failure. The lamp door was bulging out, cracked and portions turned brownish yellow color. Depending on the temperature of the set, the pin on the door does not always trigger the mechanism that allows the TV to power up. When the technician inspected the TV, he found additional heat damage inside that I did not previously see. However, he believed everything could be repaired.

The optical block has the near universal, pervasive blue haze and yellow oval.

As I said in the previous post, yesterday Sony informed me that the optical block will be replaced without cost when the technician returns to repair the lamp door cooling fan problems. Are you sure the replacement optical blocks are also defective? I though there had been a change in the materials used so that they are less susceptible to heat and light damage.

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
Randall, court documents suggest that Sony tried to change some materials in their 2005 XBR1 models, which contain SXRD-based liquid crystal panels (increased UV light filtering and re-formulation of a compound in the SXRD panels themselves). However, the changes were only partially effective, at best. The replacement XBR1 optical blocks, as well as the optical blocks in subsequent 2006-2007 SXRD models (XBR2, A2000, A2020, and A3000) have experienced many of the same green and yellow discoloration failures as the original XBR1 optical blocks.

More importantly, it is unlikely that models with 3LCD-based liquid crystal panels, including your 2003 XBR950, have undergone any changes. When the first optical block on my 2004 WF655 was replaced, Sony claimed that it had been redesigned, but when it failed a couple of years later, Hank LeClaire, a senior customer service agent at Sony, acknowledged that no redesign had been done. Rather, the optical blocks that Sony uses for repairs are only rebuilt to original specifications using original parts.

Where did you hear that the XBR950 optical blocks had been changed?

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 74
My replacement optical block failed in the same way in the same amount of time as my first (in approximately 2 1/2 years). In later models, the problem is worse. I have been corresponding with someone who lives 30 miles from me who had his OB replaced 5 different times recently. He ended up accepting an offer for a VERY discounted replacement set...and his TV was still under the extended warranty!
Oh Brian May....what are you hearing about how my trial went yesterday?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
Randall - We have the same tv. If yours is only now experiencing lamp door and OB problems, you must have watched yours less than me (and I watched it maybe for a couple hrs a day, and then went a couple years barely turning it on). Because of its size, that tv has now become the most watched tv in the house, being watched sometimes all day and into the evening, and the OB has yet to give out again and the lamp door has yet to experience problems again. Not sure if it is just our tv models that seem to wait longer, or it is because of our viewing habits, or maybe ours has been redesigned, but just thought you would like to know. Of course, I am knocking on wood as I type this.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
By the way, Steve, that was the best post. With all that documentation showing Sony knew about the defects ahead of manufacturing and selling the tvs, it makes you wonder why Sony has yet to be sued in Superior Court, not small claims, for fraud (I think that is the term, can't remember, haven't researched all this in a while). Besides personal liability (again, I think that's the correct term), like if the tvs hurt someone, that is the only other way one can sue and really stick it to them. So, not only does it get the manufacturer's attn, and they understand they cannot do such things to consumers, it gets the media's attn as well, etc.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Barb,
If you followed Steve's legal advice, your case is a sure fire winner. Of course if you use it and lose, you can't sue him Read his disclaimer:

Legal disclaimer

I am not an attorney. The content on this web site is provided for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. You should not act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content without seeking appropriate legal or other professional advice based on the particular facts and circumstances in your case. The content contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts, or settlements. I expressly disclaim all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all the content. Some links within the web site may lead to other web sites, including those operated and maintained by third parties. These links are provided solely as a convenience to you, and the presence of such a link does not imply a responsibility for the linked site or an endorsement of the linked site, its operator, or its contents. Ironically, this web site and its contents are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement.

San Diego, CA USA

Would a moderator please ban this loser.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Hi Mike,
I've reviewed your posts and Steve's legal advice and I suggest you go with his following advice:
A good bet for a legal argument is to claim that Sony breached the "implied warranty of merchantability" on the TV due to the fact that the optical block contained "latent defects" at the time of your original purchase, yet Sony refuses to repair your TV or replace it free of charge. Federal law requires that consumer goods, such as expensive electronics, must be sold in a condition in which they can be used for their intended purpose (be "merchantable"). Defects(s) that exist in a product at the time of original sale (in this case, "latent defects" in the optical block and/or parts that insufficiently cool the optical block) can cause that product to be considered non-merchantable. Information from this web site or elsewhere potentially can be used to establish that the latent defects existed at the time of purchase, rendering the time limit on the express warranty (one to two years) irrelevant.

Username: Calculating_risk

Brian,

Linke owns you, and you know it!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Not only does he own me, but I like it!!!

Brian,

Go procreate solo you dbag. You call out Linke and question his motivation while lamely atempting to 'muddy' the process for the wronged consumers on this board.

So what firm did RB use to funnel your paycheck? Are you a 1st / 2nd year at USD? Thomas Jefferson?

Go F yourself loser POS.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Stay classy San Diego!

Bronze Member

Thankx Ron

Brian,

Classy? Something mommy and daddy obviously didn't instill in your household.

Oh and you missed some salt on the right one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Calculating Risk,
I think we could work well together on this. Kindly provide any information regarding your particulars and I will help you formulate a strategy. Even if it's just attacking me, I can help.
Your comments are always welcome here on this open forum.

Bronze Member
Username: Simply_bill

Post Number: 37
Great we have someone riding the short bus in Debary, Florida who has learned how to join a board. Now if he can just learn how to leave.

Brian,

Yes we can work together. All the information regarding my particulars can be found at the " Sony Optical Block and Related Problems" website. A truly comprehensive and fact filled piece of work that is free for anyone needing guidance in dealing with their Sony rear projection tv issues.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Bill - Good to see you sober. Friday night must have been a killer for you; lasted into Sat. morning. Gatorade and Advil usually works well. Stay away from, "hair of the dog". Makes you post stupid.

CR - I agree on the Linke site. It has worked wonders for me and saved me countless hours of work. I plan on using it again soon.

Post Number: 5
Brian,

So you have another defective Sony tv? Which model was your first one and how did you resolve the issue? I have a $6,400 XBR950 that lasted only 3 years. I also just had the optical block replaced in my 60" KDS 2000. How long did your first one last?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Nope. Don't watch TV. Nothing good on.

Bronze Member

Can't figure why anyone responds to Brian May. He is simply desperate for attention. The best thing to do is ignore him, it will drive him crazy.

Mack,

You are absolutely right. Silence is his kryptonite.

Still I personaly think it's good to remind the trolls of their place in life. Sooner or later you'll catch them on an adverse day. Family member dies, divorce, crime, maybe their expensive tv fails.
Troll bashing can be rewarding.

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 75
From Wikipedia:
"Do not feed the trolls" and its abbreviation DNFTT. For the Wikimedia essay, see "What is a troll?".
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2] In addition to the offending poster, the noun "troll" can also refer to the provocative message itself, as in that was an excellent troll you posted. While the term troll and its associated action, trolling, are primarily associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels highly subjective, with trolling being used to describe many intentionally provocative actions outside of an online context.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Marianne, Why did you change your name to Mack?

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 76
Please do not feed the trolls
Unfortunately, trolls are a common occurrence on many online communities. The relative anonymity of the Internet allows them to flourish. There are several steps which can be taken to combat trolls:
• The most effective way to discourage a troll is to ignore them. Trolls feed on attention so responding to their messages will just make them continue disruptive posts. Please, do not feed the trolls.
• If you reply to a troll-post, you are breaking rule number one, so be careful. In many cases, the best way to interact is to ask questions. It can exploit the troll's lack of knowledge on the posted topic.
• Trolls can make all messages personal - you need to make them impersonal. Minimize any private response you make and maximize public response.
• Let the world see how ridiculous trolls are. Every time you mock them, you gain, and they lose.
• Be consistent - once you have identified their weaknesses, use the information against them in every response.
• Remain calm and civil. If you lose your temper, the troll wins.
Some people, particularly those who have been online for several years, are not upset by trolls. They say that if it is not possible to avoid this occurrence, it should be considered as an inevitable disadvantage of using the Internet. As the saying goes, "You can't have a picnic without ants." You can follow the same rule, but remember -- don't talk with trolls!
http://ecommerce-journal.com/articles/15195_online_safety_how_to_deal_with_inter net_trolls

Bronze Member

Beware of internet weirdo's/trolls like Brian May. It's creepy that he actually cares and has the nerve to question why I changed my name from Marianne to Mack. Block your email address as you might be the next object of his creepiness.

The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction and not to respond to trolling messages. It is well known that most people don't read messages that nobody responds to, while 99% of forum visitors first read the longest and the largest threads with the most answers.

Username: Jill_l

We have a kds-r60xbr1 from 2005. Everything has a greenish tint, which appears to be a problem with the optical block from what I understand now.

Can I get some opinions on what to do now? We have had the offers from Sony for replacements at reduced prices (or a free 46"). But all the offers are for smaller tv's.

We are considering repairing it (which will cost about $1000) but are worried that it won't last and will be a waste of money.

Do we have any recourse from the class-action suit? We never got a letter or email about it.
Thanks in advance.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Good information here to protect yourself.

http://curezone.com/forums/troll.asp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Jill,
if your not satisfied with Sony's offer you can always go to small claims court. There is a lot of information on Steve's link to help you get started. There is also a page on Facebook "I have a defective Sony TV" you may want to check out. There you will be able to check other offers.
$1000 is a lot of money for a repair. Do you have your receipt? Are you sure your not still under any warranty, extended warranty. If you used a credit card you may have additional coverage.
Some have been successful in court and others have gotten better deals after they filed. It's a bit of a game but you have to play if you want satisfaction. Good Luck!

Username: Webberfan

in 2OO5 i bought a 50" KDF-E50A10 and it cost me over 3OOO.well last week i noticed a blue haze on the screen so i sent a email to Sony Electronics Inc asking for them to fix my tv at no cost to me or give me a new tv.I recived a email back telling me to call a 1800 number and give them my customer information number so i did they offered me

KDL52EX700 $625.00 + local sales tax
KDL55EX500 $525.00 + local sales tax
KDL46NX700 $460.00 + local sales tax
should i take 1 of those offers (if so what one)or should i keep fighting for somthing better

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 77
Finally...I am very pleased to announce that on May 4th, I won my Small Claims suit against Sony in Massachusetts. I was awarded $1650 plus $40 in court costs. (The maximum award allowed in MA is $2000.) I had to delay this announcement until the deadline for appeal had passed. I will be sending Steve Linke the details of my hearing today for posting on his Small Claims Court web page.
Huge thanks to Steve and the other "veterans" of this battle who have been so supportive and helpful during the course of my challenging legal adventure. Yes, it was all definitely worth it!

San Diego, CA USA

jon,

that's better than the 2nd offer I recently received from Sony. I
told them that it was unacceptable. My SC court date is next week!

congrats barbara on your win!

Bronze Member
Username: Tenshun

Post Number: 33
Hello all, its been a long time since ive posted anything but here goes.

I added Sony to my facebook page a while back to keep an eye on the evil fiends. They posted that they were listed in Forbes top 10 most reputable companies in 2009..... I HAD to refute that. I left a non abrasive post about our problems and interaction with sony and something strange happened.

I was called by a Sony rep by the name of Sarah Kepler. By farrrr the ONLY friendly person I have ever talked to in all these years of lies and mistruths . She said she had reviewed my case and was prepared to make me a much better offer than the last shitty offer they tried.
KDL-46EX600 for $167.00 plus local sales tax
KDL-46EX700 for $297.00 plus local sales tax
KDL-46NX700 for $456.00 plus local sales tax
KDL-55EX500 for $524.00 plus local sales tax
KDL-52EX700 for $615.00 plus local sales tax

So i said hmmmmm, lemme think about this. So I did a little research on their product line and came back with a counter offer.
Me: I am aware that Sony will have a line of 3D tvs being unveiled soon. Is that a possibility for me?
Sarah: Im sorry Wayne but they havent been released yet and arent subject to the discount.
Me: Okay, well how about the VPL HW15 SXRD Projector?
Sarah: Let me see if we have them in stock
Me:
Sarah: Well we have it in stock. it normally retails for $3000 but we can give it to you for $1100 + local sales tax.
Me: How soon can you ship it to me???

Moral of the story, I saved $2000 on a projector that I wanted to buy anyway, and now I dont feel as raped as I once felt by Sony. Leave a message with Sarah on Facebook and see what she will do for you. I will post again when my projector arrives.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100000908418125&v=wall&story_f bid=131531616862932

Bronze Member

Wayne. The VPL Projectors have pretty much the same OB problems as the TVs we own

Silver Member
Username: Edenney

Post Number: 162
Hey folks. The old timers here will remember me, I (along with Steve Linke and a couple others) was one of the first and foremost contributors to this board with respect to the infamous "blue blob" problem that has plagued so many owners of Sony rear projection TVs produced in the early to mid 2000's. I was also one of the first to accept an offer from Sony to put me into a new LCD with a small cash contribution on my part, after going through 3 optical blocks in 3 years, each eventually suffering from the notorious blue blob.

I mention this because it's now been just UNDER 2 years since I took delivery of my new KDL-52W4100 from Sony, and my TV has started to develop a green haze on the right hand side of the TV, visually not entirely unlike the blue blob phenomenon, although the technology is different so the nature of the problem is obviously different. I actually had to have my 23" Sony LCD repaired a few years ago after it also developed a very similar haze (in less than 2 years) along the top of the screen, although it was more brownish in tint.

Obviously this is a Sony LCD projection TV forum, and normally wouldn't be where I would post this information, but many, many of the owners of the Sony rear projection TVs have exchanged them for the KDL-V and KDL-W series TVs after visiting this forum and finding out how to go about approaching Sony. As such, I just wanted to let everyone know that the problems continue with the Sony LCD line, and to watch out for this problem in the coming months and years.

I learned from the disastrous blue blob experience to always purchase an extended warranty with any big screen TV I purchase, whether it be projection, LCD, plasma, or whatever technology, since the costs involved are so high and the repairs (as we found out with the optical blocks) can be prohibitively expensive. As such, I have a 5 year warranty on my KDL-52W4100 that I purchased from Sony for $330 when they exchanged my projection TV for it, so I'll be fine at least for this repair. But I just want to stress as I did so often to everyone else that was looking to exchange their POS Sony projection TV for one of the offered LCDs, that you should ALWAYS get the max. extended warranty that you can possibly afford if you do a trade-in deal with Sony (or even when buying a new big screen outright).

I personally don't believe in purchasing extended warranties for anything else in the way of electronics really, but I've yet to see a durable replacement for good old CRT technology which would easily last for 10-15 years with no problems whatsoever. I still have 1 or 2 Sony Trinitron CRTs around here that I've owned for around 15 years, and they still work nearly as good as the day I bought them, except that the picture has gotten a LITTLE fuzzier/blurrier after thousands and thousands of hours of use. Too bad those days are long gone...

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
Oh and BTW, congrats to all of you that have pursued and won your small claims cases against Sony with regards to their defective projection TVs. Once we had pinpointed the nature of the problem 2-3 years ago after a great deal of time and effort, it was clear that it was something that affected virtually all of the Sony rear projection LCD TVs produced over a period of 4 or 5 years, and that Sony was well aware of it. There was no question in my mind that with all of the documentation we had amassed on this board the case was a winner all day long in any small claims court, but nobody had yet followed through with it until a year or so ago, and the first person that I know of that took it all the way did win their court case. It was also no surprise at all that Sony made yet another offer to that person at the very last minute, but by that point it was a matter of principal and they turned it down.

I'm glad to see that others have followed suit and taken their cases to SC. It's so easy and inexpensive to do, and all of the information you would need is available here except for your receipt. For those that have gone to SC with this and won, please share as much information about your case as possible with the others on this board. I'm sure there are still thousands and thousands of owners out there that need our help, and DESERVE to be justly compensated for their defective Sony TVs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
What Eric said, and a special congratulations to Barbara!

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 78
Steve Linke has posted the details of my case on the Small Claims Lawsuits page of his website http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/small-claims-lawsuits
I am now patiently awaiting the arrival of my check (which the courts have assigned a payment order deadline of June 17th.)
Glad to have been able to post a positive result! Anyone wishing additional details can PM me through this forum..

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 79
And I want to send out a huge "Thank You" to those unheralded "warriors" who have unearthed and documented Sony's defective RP HDTV story and kept this forum going for all these years. You have provided invaluable information and insight which has enabled many of us to find some measure of "satisfaction" in our individual battles against Sony. May all of you achieve success using whatever method works the best for you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Anyone know how much John Faaborg won? He's in California where lawyers aren't allowed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 172
Back in 2007, when I had my first optical block replaced, Eric was warning people that his optical blocks were failing about every 6,000-8,000 hours, and that everybody should try to sell their Sony TVs off before the warranty extensions expired. I naively put my faith in Sony's statements to me that they had fixed the problems, despite some skepticism.

Sure enough, after about 7,000 more hours (and after the warranty extension had expired), my replacement optical block failed. Only then did Sony acknowledge that they had not made any fixes. But Eric helped me out with a letter of support in my California small claims lawsuit, which resulted in a judgment in my favor against Sony for about $2,300. Thanks again, Eric!

However, I am very sorry to hear, Eric, that you are still on Sony's TV repair/exchange merry-go-round with the rest of us. You were an early case-study in Sony optical block failures. Perhaps you are now an early case-study in Sony direct-view LCD failures. Hopefully, I won't have to start another web site on those!

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
As far as I know, Steve was the first person to persevere and take his case all the way to small claims, and I was thrilled to see that he did indeed win his case. I'm sure that Steve's win emboldened others to take the next step and bring their case against Sony in small claims, where it has the best chance of success and costs next to nothing, and the information that he's made available should be invaluable to others that want to take the same path. I was disappointed however to hear that Sony still hasn't paid their legal judgment after this much time (shame on you Sony). At least they now have a court order to pay it in the coming weeks, in some states it's nearly impossible to collect after you've won a case.

Anyway, I'm pretty convinced that the LCD line from Sony (possibly from all manufacturers), suffers from some defect that limits the number of hours of use before the haze I mentioned starts to appear, much like the blobs with the optical blocks appeared after about 7000-8000 hours. At least the 2 Sony LCDs I've owned that have suffered from this problem lasted about twice as long as the optical blocks (probably around 14000 hours, but I don't know how to check the usage on my TV). That means that the average person that uses their TV perhaps 6 to 8 hours per day, would only encounter this problem after several years. By that time even a 5 year extended warranty will probably have expired, and the average person won't have any good options really except to purchase a new TV or have the whole screen replaced at nearly the same cost.

I'm going to contact the warranty repair facility and get this thing started. The haze was first noticeable a couple weeks ago, and it's starting to progress pretty rapidly, nearly as fast as the blobs from the optical blocks. I will return and post the results of my experience, how long it took to get repaired, what they repaired,/replaced, and hopefully I can find out how much that would have cost if I didn't have a warranty so I can share that here.

Stay tuned!

Ugh, I actually called Sony repair before I posted this message, and when I looked at both my receipt that Sony sent me for my new LCD TV, and the warranty contract I purchased for it, I discovered that Sony completely screwed up and wrote everything up referencing my old rear projection TV that they were exchanging this for rather than for the new TV I purchased from them! Needless to say this is going to cause nothing but problems when I try to get it serviced, since I don't actually have a receipt now showing that I purchased a KDL-52W4100, and my warranty contract specifically says Rear Projection LCD!

That is of course exactly what happened when I called them just now, they couldn't process this right away until they can get their records corrected. The guy was very nice and very professional, and he said it should only take 24 hours to do it, but I have good reason to be skeptical after all of my encounters with Sony. They're supposed to call me back on Monday, at which point I'll post an update. BTW, the only trouble shooting step they asked me if I'd done was to unplug the TV and plug it back in lol. There's no doubt in my mind that it's going to require a major part replacement, likely the entire LCD panel like they did with my 23" Sony LCD.

Silver Member

Post Number: 173
Actually, eCoustics forum member "agn" won a smaller case against Sony a few months before me, so he was the original inspiration. And, as far as I know, Sony has paid their judgments relatively promptly. Are they late on one? Small Claims Lawsuits page

I was just having a discussion with someone over on Facebook about the longevity of modern TVs, and he is convinced that none of them will last much beyond 5 years anymore. I understand how an extended service plan might help in these situations, but I would assume that once the plan companies figure out that TVs are failing in high numbers in such a short period of time, they will be forced to reduce the length of the plans, increase the cost, or eliminate them. They can't keep replacing TVs and make any money.

Username: Todd_d

Hey Steve,
What is the mailing address for Sony CEO Sir Howard Stringer?

My demand letter has been written (looks almost identical to yours but with my info replacing yours. I also took out info not pertinent to my situation) and I want to mail out my demand letter tomorrow (Saturday). Thanks.

California Small CC here I come!

Silver Member

Post Number: 165
Oh, I thought yours was the first case to finally go to small claims Steve, but admittedly I have been pretty absent from this board for around a year now. Wasn't much more I could contribute and I got a little burned out on the whole thing. Anyway, I stand corrected, and congrats to AGN on taking the initiative.

Oh, about the payment, I somehow mixed up and applied Barbara's recent post to your case in my head. I saw that the post said the judge had ordered payment by June 17th, and I knew you won your case months ago, so in my confusion I thought they'd been procrastinating all this time. Totally my mix-up, and I withdraw my admonishment of Sony, at least with respect to payment of their judgments ;).

I wouldn't disagree that with typical use, and certainly with heavy use, that these modern TVs won't last much beyond 5 years if that. That's totally unacceptable for such a big ticket item, despite the fact that prices have dropped substantially in recent years. Particularly in light of the fact that we've transitioned from technology that worked just fine, lasted for well over a decade, and was EXTREMELY reliable. Still, what choice does the public have now but to deal with it? CRT has gone the way of the Do-Do, and I don't see anything more reliable than the current technologies on the horizon.

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 80
Just received telephone notification from FedEx that there is a delivery requiring my signature scheduled for Monday morning. I looked up the tracking information, and it's coming from Fort Meyers, FL.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Great news Barb. Wish I had a friend like you!!!!!

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 81
Sony check received and deposited! Nice to receive money FROM Sony for a change. In my case, Small Claims court brought a very satisfying resolution.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
CONGRATULATIONS BARB!!!!

Username: Vitruvian

I purchased a sony kf-50we610 in aug of 2004. The OB started failing shortly after my 4yr service plan ran out. I'm currently getting the run around from sony and I'm seriously considering taking it to SC. Does anyone know how close I am to running out of time to file, or what the CA statute of limitations is?

Silver Member

Post Number: 166
@Dave

The laws vary from state to state. I THINK it's 1 year in California to file, but I could be wrong. You can probably find the answer with Google. In any event, this isn't like a normal situation where something definitive happened on a particular date, and a clock started ticking down to file from that point. You've been dealing with Sony trying to get it resolved apparently, so you've just waited to file until you exhausted your options.

I don't think you'll have any problem filing at this point, but I am curious (and Sony probably has been as well, which could account for part of the runaround), what you've been doing with the TV in the 2 years since the OB started to fail. When they start to go, it doesn't take long for them to get really bad, so did you just live with it for 2 years, or did you replace it? Make sure you follow the course of action that's been outlined on this board countless times if you haven't already, and write the necessary letters to the proper people before taking the case to small claims. That should be your last resort. You need to be able to argue that you tried everything.

Unfortunately, like most people, the fact that you obviously only use your TV moderately (probably around 4-6 hours a day) has bitten you in the butt. We determined long ago that the OB will only last a certain number of hours (~7000-8000) before the problem occurs, and warranties are measured in real time, not in usage. That worked to my benefit (if you can call having an optical block fail every year and having to get it replaced a benefit), since my TV is on most of the time, but it hurts people that use their TV in moderation. You got 4 years out of your TV, even though you only got the same viewing hours that anybody else who only worked their way through one optical block got, and Sony and the court are going to take those 4 years into consideration when it comes to relief.

If you take it to small claims though, you should argue the point that you only got X number of hours out of the TV (there's a way to check), and if you'd simply had it on more like some other people it would have failed in a year or less (based on the typical 7000-8000 hour failure point). That's your best argument since it's now been 6 years since you bought it, and it failed 2 years ago, neither of which bode very well for getting much relief. If Sony makes you any kind of a reasonable offer at this point, you should probably give it serious consideration. Small claims is a piece of cake though, barely costs anything at all, and only takes a matter of minutes in the courtroom, so you don't have much to lose going that route in the end.

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
Dave,

If your claim is based on the implied warranty of merchantability, it is likely that you are already too late, as the statute of limitations on such claims is 4 years in California, and the clock likely begins running on the date of purchase. Your TV was still under Sony's extended optical block service coverage back in late 2008 when it failed, so it would have been a free repair, but Sony largely kept that program a secret. If you had the repair done, and the replacement optical block had failed, the clock would likely have been reset, at least to some degree, on the statute of limitations. Unfortunately, that is not the case here.

You might want to post your problem on the Facebook I Have A Defective Sony TV wall. Someone from Sony Listens will likely contact you with an offer. Be sure to mention that you should have been able to get a free repair back in 2008, but Sony did not inform you of their extended coverage. Also mention any other costs you have incurred for repairs and/or lamps. Apparently, they tend to improve the offers based on this information.

If you don't like the offer, be firm and negotiate with them, no matter how friendly they appear. If you still don't like the offer, you can always still file suit, but it is up to you to decide whether that is the best route.

Username: Pusery

I'm not sure I'm doing this right, my first time.
I have a Sony kdf60wf655 tv. The picture is getting dimmer so that I can hardly see it. I have adjusted the contrast, brightness, etc. but this did not help. Any idea of what can be causing this? I saw on one forum that it could be the lamp. Is it hard to change this out? (I need instructions)
Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 175
Pat, what you describe may, indeed, be the result of a failing lamp, particularly if you have never replaced it before, and you purchased your TV in 2004 or 2005. You can check the number of lamp hours in the Sony Service Menu, but be careful. They last about 8,000 hours +/- ~2,000 hours.

Instructions for changing your lamp can be found in the Operating Instructions that came with your TV. If you have misplaced them, they are available on the Sony web site HERE. You should be able to find a replacement Sony XL2200 lamp from a Sony-authorized dealer for around $180 with free shipping (e.g., OneCall.com). There are other sources, as well.

Keep in mind that the optical block on these units is defective, and you have probably reached the usage level where things might start to go awry (blue discolorations and/or dots). See MY WEB SITE for details.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Well I had to change my bulb and the TV is worse. I have the Star Light pattern on my TV now. Had about 12 guys over for the USA Eng World Cup match and let them all know about the defective Sony TV's we all had and to be wary about new Sony TV technology. I urge everyone to keep preaching about Sony and how they market and mislead to the general public.

Username: Pusery

Thanks for the info!

Bronze Member
Username: Tv_mike

All,
I just went through this for the second time. The first was with a Hitachi 50v500, that developed a red/pink spot. I was offered the Sony KDF-E50A10 as a replacement TV under the extended warranty I had purchased from the store with the Hitachi.

Almost 5 years later, I noticed the exact same issue (yellow spot this time) developing on my Sony. I came right to the eCoustics site and found it was another known issue with the optical block. Thanks to everyone on the forum for posting.

After reading the posts here, I called Sony and they offered me the standard discounted offer that I've seen in the other posts and I went for the KDF-EX700. It seemed like a fair offer based on the price of the KDF-E50A10 when I paid for it and the time I've had it.

If you follow this link, https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/436597.html , to Justin's Oct. 18, 2006 post, it shows a real nice example of what was happening in the Hitachi units and what I suspect is the same issue with the Sony Optical Blocks. Coincidentally, or not, it looks like Sony made the main components in the Hitachi Optical Block.

In my opinion, the optical blocks on Rear Projection TVs, regardless of the manufacturer have a finite lifetime of about 3000 hours unless the filters, which were not accessible on the 2 units I've owned, a cleaned regularly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
I can't speak to the Hitachi TVs that may or may not use a Sony built Optical Block (or one that's built by a 3rd party that both manufacturer's use), but the Optical blocks on the Sony TVs consistently fail around 7000-8000 hours. Of course there are rare exceptions to the rule, and there are mitigating factors such as high dust/smokey environments etc., but it's been widely documented here that 7K-8K is an excellent rule of thumb, almost exactly the same as the lamp life.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Well I took the plunge and ordered a Samsung LCD TV and should get that Tues. I still will keep an eye on the board in case there is an opportunity for me to become part of a class action suit and get a few bucks back. Now what to do with my large piece of junk in my basement. Give it away if I can.

Username: Csd

I have just discovered this site. My KDF 60XBR950 started with the blue blobs several months ago and I finally got fed up and contacted Sony yesterday. I bought the TV in 2005 and obviously am not a big user - having my kids home this summer may have tipped the set over the edge. Sony gave me the usual "did you try this, did you try that" nonsense even through they obviously know what the problem is and then offered the standard "for a mere $775 we will replace your 60" TV with a 52" TV with newer technology that we guarantee will be better". (As an aside, are the KDL NX or EX lines any better or do they use the same technonolgy ?) I have been told I will be contacted by someone from their consumer "statisfaction" division but so far have heard nothing. This site has given me a sense of what may or may not be possible but having invested $4500 in this set I want to maximize the possibilities. Is there a better way to get someone on the phone who can communicate clearly and might be a bit sympathetic, or at least authorized to offer something more than an inadeuate replacement ? My inclination is to try to get money as I'm pretty sure I don't want another Sony TV. Also, does anyone know about SC etc in Pennsylvania ? Have any of you contacted the technology review places like cNet or even Consumer Reports ?
I work at the largest employer in Philadelphia and we consume alot of electronics. I'll do what I can to convince the powers that be that Sony doesn't belong on our prefered vendor list or in our institution. Has this been tried elsewhere ? Or does Sony just figure they are too big to care ?
Thanks for any help you can give and for providing all these resources.

Bronze Member

Southborough, MA

Post Number: 83
@cliff, most of this discussion has moved to the "I Have A Defective Sony TV" Facebook page. There is a rep from SonyListens who monitors that page and contacts people who post complaints. (There are over 2500 people now signed up on the forum.) http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-Have-a-Defective-Sony-TV/182875766612

Username: Mhappoldt

Random thoughts:

I have a defective 50" TV purchased in early 2006 that has a failed optical block. Sony offered me a new TV for very little if I could send them the sticker with the serial number and a picture of the problem.

In parallel, I purchased an extended warranty for this TV from AOM Warranty Group for 5 years. They offered to fix it for free, in my house.

I've sent in the request for my "free" 52NX800. What's keeping me from getting my old one repaired, also? Do store warranties communicate with Sony? Should I not do both?

M. Happoldt

Silver Member

Post Number: 168
@mhappoldt

What keeps a person from being able to get warranty svc. after they accept an offer from Sony is the missing serial number. Sony requires that you send in the serial # sticker when they do an exchange for a new TV, even though you "get" to keep the broken TV. When you get warranty svc. they have to confirm the serial # on the back of your TV, and if it's missing they won't perform service.

Silver Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 322
Guys,
I've recently purchased quite a few engines from D-M with good results. It seems like these guys know what they are doing.. Price is pretty darn reasonable too. It comes with a caliberation sheet and the service manual on CD even though their website doesn't say so....

Here is a link:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=sony+engine

By the way... Steve Linke's google blog about these Sony issues is also AMAZING!

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1698
Ova,
The part comes with the service manual on CD? Diagrams and parts breakdowns? Specific to the TV in question, not generic?
NICE.

Question, though. My A2000 SXRD OB has a single part # listed. BUT there are 2 revisions. Rev A and Rev B. Is that an issue? Did Sony fix the problem once and for all with the 'B' revision? Are they interchangeable?

In my 30 years in semiconductor processing, I found that sometimes the revision board or component has problems of its own. I've seen revisions go pretty far into the alphabet!

Username: Jimworld

The other night my KDF-E60A20 made a loud pop and then the picture and sound went out. The TV seems to be on, the fan is running, but the green light is flashing. Also the lamp light is not on. Does this sound like the Optical blocking problem you all have been experiencing or just the lamp going out?

Thanks for your advice

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 15559
Welcome to eCoustics Jimbo!

Start by replacing the lamp, a blowed lamp sound like this!

Username: Jimworld

Thanks, I am pulling the lamp out now.

Bronze Member

I received this 2 months ago and neglected to post it.
Its sad:

As you will recall, we filed a nationwide class action on your behalf against Sony relating to their A10/A20 model line of rear projection televisions. We are writing to update you on the case.

The case was filed in the United States District Court, Southern District of California. After the case was filed, Sony asked the Court to dismiss it on multiple occasions. Although we opposed each of those requests, Sony's last attempt to dismiss the case succeeded and the case was dismissed. Attached for your review is a copy of the Court's Order of November 30, 2010, granting Sony's motion to dismiss the case. Unfortunately, this decision brings the case to an end. Although we disagree with the Court's decision, we do not intend to file an appeal, however, should you want to appeal the Court's Order dismissing the case, the deadline for you to file a notice of appeal is December 30, 2010.

We are, of course, disappointed with this result and we remain available to answer any questions you may have. Please feel free to call or email any of us regarding the above or attached and we thank you for giving us the opportunity to represent you.

Robert I. Lax
Lax LLP

Username: Serviciotecnico2200

Hi guys,
I just bought a service manual for my LCD SONY KLV-26S550A from: www.manualsparadise.com
They delivered in less than 20 minutes, the price was fair, and their service was really good compared to other sites where I have bought manuals in the past. And, they seem to have a huge collection of manuals!
Recommended.

Username: Sonylistens

Post Number: 10
Hello,
My name is Mike from sony electronics the sonylistens team. If you are having any problems with a sony TV, computer, or other electronic please contact us at sonylistens@am.sony.com so that we can assist you. Include your name, product model, serial #, (forum) in the subject area, and a way for us to contact you.
Thanks,
Mike Puma
Sonylistens

Username: Ktang

I have a defective TV from Sony.

Username: Ktang

now my unit KDL-52XBR6 is defected by yellow, blue, green colors moving and blurry from half of the screen and a vertical line near to edge of the other side. I need someone's idea about this problem?
Thanks
Kim
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us