Noob questions.. and any opinion on Westinghouse 32" LCD?

Username: Jerryj

Post Number: 1
Hi all.. I've been reading a lot of posts here and it really helps to see the qustions other people have been asking.. and most especially all the answers!

I'm getting a Camcast DVR in a week so I've begun looking into HD TV's.. yikes!

First off.. some impressions..

The big chains (Best Buy, Fry, etc..) don't know crud about their HDTV products.. I visited a Best Buy last night where the whole section of CRT HD's only had broadcast quality signal as the only source! Then the plasmas and LCD's only had one source which was canned HD content! (of course, this is most likely intentional!)

I've looked at a lot of flat panels this last week and I'm really disappointed in the quality of pictures when connected to non-HD sources. I went home last night and my 10 yr old 27" Panasonic had a much better picture from my digital cable box than any of the multi-thousand dollar flat panels did at the store.

As a computer professional, I've set up machines with LCD displays and so I realize that what's going on on the big displays is their software is trying to display a non-native resolution, and there will be problems with that..

Herein lies my dilemna.. My wife really likes the big displays (she thinks 42" is the minimum) but I think it will drive me nuts if I paid > $3000 for a display and have to watch these artifacts and pixelizations on DVD and non-HD sources.

So.. my question.. (you thought it would never come, right?)

Should I wait on buying a big flat screen? Will there be that much more HD content in a year? Will DVD's be up to HD resolution in a year or so? Will newer plasmas or LCD's be able to handle multiple resolutions better?

Second question.. Also at Best Buy last night they had 2 brand new 32" LCD's from Westinghouse.. the LTV-32W1 has the speakers on the bottom and the price is $1599! HD-ready with NTSC tuner and has 1366 x 766 pixels. They were so new they didn't have them set up but I thought this was an extremely low price for an HD LCD. Anyone know anything about this model? (I have never seen anything from Westinghouse before, so it's probably someone else's) I'm thinking this might be a nice interim unit to buy now to get HD content but that I could move to a bedroom in a year or so when price/technology improves on the larger screens.

Thoughts?

Thanks a lot in advance for any feedback..

Jerry

Anonymous

westinghouse makes low quality fridges and stoves....maybe they had some spare parts...

Bronze Member
Username: Skasol

Post Number: 19
LOL

Guest1
Unregistered guest
Back in the 50's and 60's Westinghouse and General Electric where like Sony and Phillips today. Don't be surprise if the compant makes a comeback!

Anonymous

or maybe they had some parts left over from the 50's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
LOL

Nazzdeq
Unregistered guest
Westinghouse Digital uses LCD TVs from Chi Mei OptoElectronics http://www.cmo.com.tw/cmo/english/index.jsp

Chi Mei is the 3rd largest LCD producer in the world and OEMS to quite a few other companies.

In fact, they purchased their TFT-LCD Fab (and licensed the related intellectual property) from IBM in 2001, so I'd say the quality is good.

The LCD price for a 32" Westinghouse that I saw was $1299. Remember, everyone sells their PC LCD monitors at half the price of the same sized TV LCD monitors and they are basically identical, except for a tuner, which ain't exactly that expensive.

The profit margins on most of these LCD TVs from Samsung, Sony, etc. is waaay high. Westinghouse digital is just getting their foot in the door by taking less of a margin rather than cutting corners.

My take is that the Westinghouse Digital LCDs would be just a reliable as the rest.

Silver Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 199
The $1299 Westinghouse may not be available until mid May. I went into Best Buy and would have bought it except it wasn't in stock and wouldn't get there (in my locality) until May 15. Another answer is the Pansonic commericial ED plasmas which I have decided to do. The LCDs have problem with fast movements and contrast. The price would be below $3000 but you have to solve the lack of input problems with switching devices.

Post Number: 2
Thanks, Nazzdeq.. I appreciate the link.

The whole pricing thing on flat panel (LCD's especially) seems to be really out of whack with reality. 17 in. and 19 in. panels are selling in the $300-$400 range and they have resolutions better than most big ones. Seems to me it would be harder to manufacture an array of 1280 x 768 in a small form factor than a larger one.

Granted, the electronics have to be built in to a TV as a computer monitor has a video card handling scaling etc.. but, still.. what does that add to in a TV? a couple hundred bucks maybe?

seems to me the big screen marketers are making their money now before the price drops out from under them.

The Best Buy by me won't take the Westinghouse LCD's out of the boxes and put them on display.. finally one salesperson confirmed they are really trying to clear out last year's models.

How could they sell a $3000 Aquos when a $1500 Westinghouse sits next to it and looks just as good?

It should be an interesting year...

Jerry

clubmal
Unregistered guest
Had the same issue when buying an LCD for my second home. After a few hours at Best Buy, I concluded that the LTV-32W1 was the best bang for the buck, and with tech changing so rapidly, it could become a bedroom TV in a few years. I agree with the Westinghouse foot in the door philosophy and I know the about Chi Mei connection. I say give it a shot.

Unregistered guest
I just purchased the Westinghouse 32 inch LCD at Best Buy on April 30th. I got the last one in stock (not the display). It was sitting next to a Sony 32-inch with a MUCH higher price tag, but it was the image quality that caught my eye.
I checked the newspaper circulars from the big box stores in this Sunday's paper, and all the name brands (Sharp, Sony, etc) were MUCH higher than I paid for the same screen size.
One of my criteria was that the unit had to fit in the 36" space in my entertainment center. I found that many set have their non-detachable speakers on the sides, making the unit wider than I could use. The Westinghouse model was a perfect size, with speakers under the display, leaving enough of a gap on the sides to promote good ventilation.
I was told that heat is the big problem with flat panels, but this unit does not generate all that much heat, certainly not enough to lead to failure of the display.
As for the display itself, it is bright, with good contrast and great color. The OSD is very sharp and readable. I haven't yet ordered my TW cable digital box so I can see HD material, but I hooked up my Pioneer LaserDisc/DVD player directly to the unit using the component video cords provided to watch some DVD's. I was very pleased with the results.

MarkGG
Unregistered guest
I checked out the LCD TV at Best Buy on May 1st. I'd say it's better (in terms of picture quality) than most other LCDs sitting next to it. Still, Panasonic and Sharp are more impressive than this LCD. I was kinda tempted b/c of the price tag. Best buy guy said they had been backordering the item for 5 months.

Username: Jjg226

Plymouth Meeting, PA USA

Jerry...et al:

I'm taken by the Westinghouse because they are a super-serious electronics and power company. Used to be a household word until the Asian invasion for you young pups. They make jet engines, rocket boosters, nuclear reactors/fuel and a pile of other stuff.

The TV caught my eye because it's a great looking TV. Next to others, there might be a difference in sharpness and black/grey issues, but there's also a $1000-2500 difference as well. It's my understanding that W has done their homework and this new series is quite good, the timing is right and I think they are simply at the price point that everyone is going to be at in a year anyway.

Either I'm just a dumb consumer and I don't know what I'm talking about OR W is buying their market share. A Zenith it ain't, though.
The worst thing to me is to spend a premium on a technology that's going to be 50% cheaper in less than a year if it's not already obselete. That would gnaw at me big-time.

I am only waiting for the 37" inch unit (LVM-37W1) to come out, supposedly @ May 15. It's got some interesting specs and a Faroudja processor. I want to see them side-by-side and if I can fit the big one where I want to put it (I also may want to move it to the bedroom in a year or so...), I might go for it. List is @ $2400, but I've seen it for $1999 on a pre-order basis.

Check out their web site @ www.westinghouse.com or go directly to www.westinghousedigital.com

Stay tuned.

Post Number: 3
Jonathon,

I'm waiting for the 37" as well.. That's a real sweet size and perfect for my family room (although a 42" would fit nicely too!) The specs are incredible.. being a true HD TV capable of 1920 x 1080.

Here's a link to an interview from CES in January.. interesting article.. Westinghouse is owned and operated by Viacom, and in association with Chi Mei Optoelectronics they are aggressively trying to grow the big screen market in the US.

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=30090

Where have you seen it for $1999 pre-order? I've been watching BB's site for this model and it doesn't exist there yet.

Thanks!

Jerry

Plymouth Meeting, PA USA

Great interview/article...thanks, Jerry! It sounds as if this new series starting with the 37" will blow the existing stuff away!

We'll see. Let us know if you see any previews or first-looks on this product.

Jonathon

Gin
Unregistered guest
Wow, this forum was really helpful ^_^. I'm planning to buy a decent LCD TV for the Xbox360 (www.xbox360.com) (www.ourcolony.net) and the 32" Westinghouse, but I was afriad that because of its low price, it wouldn't be very good, but now it sounds like the perfect choice because I am not looking to spend over $1500 for a LCD. Westinghouse sounds like a decent and realible brand and I plan to buy the 32" later this summer :P

Gin
Unregistered guest
oops, i mean the 30" inch.. maybe the 32 inch, lol

Plymouth Meeting, PA USA

Gin,

You can buy the 32" NOW for $1369 + Shipping.
This was 2 weeks ago.

Jonathon

Roller
Unregistered guest
I got the 32" about a month ago, its awsome, has connections for everything you can think of. The resolution is extremely clear. I have Cox cable with HDTV and let me tell you, once you go HD with this monitor you won't ever go back. (Made me get HBO & Showtime HD)

Overall the TV is very nice I got it for $1599+tax no shipping because I picked it up. It came with a promotion which gave me a REALLY nice Samsung 5.1 home theater system that also plays DivX/XviD.

Anonymous

I just bought the LVM-37W1 at my local Best Buy. They didn't have any of the LTV-32W1 in stock anywhere in the US so I wheeled and dealed with the manager to get the floor model LVM-37W1 that was still in the box waiting to be installed for a display. Anyway got the thing home and it's great, I'm pleasantly surprised how well it works w/ my PowerBook over DVI, the 1080i DVI DVD player I have and soon my xBox over component and the new HD-DVR coming from WOW. Just gotta finish mounting the wall brace...oh, and all for 1999.99 from the Box and I'm happy as a clam.

yossarian
Unregistered guest
Sorry guys, but Zenith electronics and Westinghouse electronics, as U.S. entities, are long gone. Out of business long ago. They sold off their names to foreign companies that have nothing to do with the old U.S. companies. The Zenith name is now owned by LG (Lucky Goldstar) of Korea, and Westinghouse electronics was bought by a Chinese consortium in 2003. The rest of Westinghouse was dispersed - for example, Siemens owns Westinghouse's turbine business.
There ain't no "comebacks" here, just re-use of old names by foreign companies.

jakecollins
Unregistered guest
Drove two hours to see the Westinghouse LVM-37W1 at the only Best Buy I could find that had one on display. The picture on the display model needed adjusting with the remote, after which it bested a Samsung below it costing twice as much, and the plasmas beside it. The picture detail is incredible, thanks to 1920x1080 resolution, practically 3-D with the right signal. Red sometimes tends a bit to the cherry, but color is crisp and brilliant. Very little ghosting during rapid movements in sports broadcasts. Remote control is spartan, but functional. No on-board TV tuner,so it must be connected to a satellite or cable receiver, etc.
I've had mine for two days, connected by DVI to a Dish network HD receiver. Ariel scenic shots are to die for. Soccer was brilliant. Well-filmed Hollywood flicks leap off the screen, which is very glare resistant. Brightness great, even in my very sunny living room. Viewable from any angle (mine is temporarily on top of my entertainment center, but the picture still looks good even lying on a couch). I do find it necessary to adjust picture settings sometimes when I switch channels. Standard definition programs look good too, depending on original resolution. Detachable speakers week on bass, recommend using your stereo.
I give it two thumbs up,even after months of researching the Syntax, BenQ, and Westinghouse, and drooling over the Sharp 1080p ($7000). Store manager was willing to negotiate a little on the Westinghouse. A guy offered to buy it from me before I'd even gotten out of the store.
If you have specific questions, post them and I'll respond.

Anonymous

Glad to see good reviews on the Westinghouse LVM-37W1. I just order one at my local BestBuy store yesterday and it will arrive in few days. I would like to ask you a question about warranty. As you perhaps know, BestBuy charges $399 for a four year extended warranty (actually the first year is covered by manufacture). I am not a big fan for this expensive warranty. I wonder if you all bought it or not. If not, how are you going to deal with any unexpected costly repairs in the future. I called Westinghouse Digital this morning, and I was told that they have an agreement with BestBuy stating that BestBuy will provide free repair service for the first year. So you don't have to ship your broken TV to CA for repair during the warranty period offered by Westinghouse. By the way, does anyone know if the Westinghouse LVM-37W1 provides HDMI interface. The impression I have is that this unit only has DVI interface. I am not sure the DVI interface can handle 1920x1080p HDTV data rate. Could anyone please comment on this?

jakecollins
Unregistered guest
I didn't buy the extended warranty. Glad to know Best Buy will repair during first year. Guess I'll start a repair fund for the future, just in case.

The Westinghouse has no HDMI, but two DVI connections. According to the owner's manual, one is only for 1080i, the other 1080p (full 1920X1080), so Westinghouse evidently thinks DVI can handle it.

jakecollins
Unregistered guest
I didn't buy the extended warranty. Glad to know Best Buy will repair during first year. Guess I'll start a repair fund for the future, just in case.

The Westinghouse has no HDMI, but two DVI connections. According to the owner's manual, one is only for 1080i, the other 1080p (full 1920X1080), so Westinghouse evidently thinks DVI can handle it.

Username: Dyohn

Post Number: 9
There is no difference in image quality between DVI and HDMI. The only difference is HDMI includes the digital audio signal in the same cable.

jakecollins
Unregistered guest
Last night, a pixel died on the new Westinghouse LVM-37W1 I've been recommending. Its little green shutter is stuck on all the time. To be honest, given the 2 million pixels making up the screen image, you have to be pretty damn close to notice, closer then I watch TV. And from what I understand, most pixel deaths occur within the first days or weeks after activating an LCD.

I called Westinghouse Digital this morning. A service representative told me mine was the first such complaint for this monitor. Lucky me! He also assured me one dead pixel didn't increase my chances of others. A certain percentage of dead pixels is considered acceptable by all manufacturers (Google dead pixels and you'll find lists).

BB will of course the happy to exchange the unit for a new one. Problem? All of the new ones in my state are in a warehouse, not the stores. They wanted me to drive an hour to come in and order a replacement, then come back to pick it up. Not. I asked to speak to a manager, who is hopefully tracking down the unit she is supposed to have in stock.

Note, BB did not quibble in the least about exchanging the unit for a new one (once they find one).

What do you think? Should I go for the extended warranty this time? Or, should I give up a picture I've already grown to love and return to my smaller CRT?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
just so you know, I am a manager for BB, and I will definately recommend our PSP, the reason why, is because we will make sure your product is in like new condition for the next 4 years, the same care they are giving you now will be the same one 1,2,3,4 years down the line, no problem, we'll exchange it or fix it, without any cost to you. go ahead and buy it, you already have enough things to worry about, protect your investment, and by the way nobody at BB makes commision, so you are more than welcome to trust what these guys say to you sometimes. take care and good luck.

Anonymous

jakecollins, sorry to hear that you got died pixels already. I received my unit yesterday. I set it up with a HD tuner and video looks great! Just don't know when I will have died pixels. I should use it more in the first 30 days and to decide wether to keep it or return it. Ask BB for a free delivery. I had mine delivered for free.

jakecollins
Unregistered guest
Important discovery -- Set your DVD player to INTERLACE, not progressive! This is recommended at the Westinghouse Digital web site. I just tried it, and it makes a huge difference. The Westinghouse's onboard deinterlacer produces a sharper, clearer, more cinematic picture when not interacting with the DVD player's deinterlacer. (FYI, I have a Sony carousel DVD player attached to the LCD via Monster THX-certified component video cables. The DVD player has a switch on the back that lets you choose between interlaced or progressive, but the output can also be switched to via the OSD.) The same recommendation applies to my satellite receiver, which I have set to output at 1080i, not 720p.

BTW, thanks skasol for your recommendation. I'd already decided to buy the protection plan, and your input was a welcome confirmation. A TV person at the nearest BB told me over the following the protection plan could be extended an additional two years for $400 plus $200. Do you know if this is accurate? It seems a little over-the-top, as in six years a 1080p LCD will probably seem archaic.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
The service plan could be upgraded, but it's not that much money, I don't know where this guy is getting his info, it's usually a lot cheaper than what you paid to get it the first time. I will go back and double check, and just so you know, you mentioned that in 6 years, it will be archaic, yes, but we will give you back what you paid 6 years ago, not what your TV is worth at the time that breaks down, for example you paid let's say $1500 for it and 4 years later it breaks down, and now since technology moves so quickly there is a brand new sony plasma selling for that price, you could get the new sony without paying any money, we'll get you credit for what you paid for, not what is worth at the time the problems occur, hopefully this helps clarify some questions.

Anonymous

You need to use a DVI cable to achieve a digital quality. The component connection has to undergo an analog-to-digital conversion, so lots of high frequencies of video signal get lost during such a conversion. I just switched mine from component to DVI with a Monster DVI cable and the result is unbelievable - images are so sharp and clear! FYI, I am using a LG DVD/HDTV tuner that has up-conversion up to 1080i.

Username: Jakecollins

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am running Monster DVI to my HDTV satellite receiver. As I said in my review of the Westinghouse 1080p, (see above), the clarity is amazing. Which LCD TV are you using?

Skasol, my nearest BB still doesn't have the Westinghouse in stock. They want me to wait until they can ship one from the warehouse. With my luck, I'll get my unit to the store only to find out there are none left in the warehouse. Since I'm buying the extended warranty/protection plan, couldn't I wait and take mine back when they finally are in stock (as opposed to within the first 30 days)?

Anonymous

I am using Westinghouse 37 LCD identical to yours.

What do you have connected to it? How's it working out for you?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
yes you may, you could also come to burbank california, I have 2 in stock, new in the box. take care.

Dunn in CA
Unregistered guest
Just got the LVM37w1. EXCELLENT.
Forget the monster cables (ripoff) or DVI. Just use the component cables that come with the set. Using Samsung T451 set to 1080i.

Also don't need upcoversion DVD player. The LVM37w1 handles the upconversion itself. Save your money on the extras. The set is excellent on all sources, even analog--absolutely brilliant HD.

RECOMMENDED!

JohnUSA
Unregistered guest
Has anyone been using the LVM37w1 with a PC with a built-in TV tuner (e.g. Sony or HP desktops with Windows Media Center 2005 OS)?

If yes, What kind of resolution are you getting when viewing:

1. PC-applications such as Word, PowerPoint or web surfing
2. TV/DVD

Do the video cards support a 1920X1080 resolution? I know some do support 1920X1280.

Any feedback would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

John

Anonymous

has anyone toyed with the Apple Cinema 30", I saw it at the Apple store.
Simply the best LCD screen I have ever seen!
RES is at
30-inch (29.7-inch viewable)
2560 x 1600 optimal resolution
16.7 million colors
DVI Display Connector
2 port USB 2.0 Hub
2 FireWire 400 ports
However reading further it says it need a dual dvi video card.
Are there any Dual DVI to dvi boxes that would let me use this with my cable or over the air HD? The HD quicktime demos on Apple website look remarklable in the store hooked up to a dual G5.

Anonymous

Just bought the LVM37w1 and love it but I'm having interface problems. I have Time Warner cable and want to use their box with DVR using the DVI interface. The problem is that the TW box that comes with DVR and a DVI connector has the DVI connector disabled (apparently due to an FCC order relating to copyright issues). TW switched me to a box that has DVR but only has an active HDMI output. When I bought a cable ($100!!!) to go from the HDMI output of the TW box to the DVI input of the TV I got an error message that said that the "TV does not support HDCP" (what is this?). TW seems to say that their HDMI might work with a DVI input on a TV with an "interface" or "converter" box which no one has heard of.

So for now I'm stuck. I either have to live with the lower quality of component input to my beautiful new HDTV to get DVR capability, or switch the DVR to another non-HD set in my house (and thereby lose the ability to record HD) and get a different box from TW that does have an active DVI connection but no DVR.
Help!

Have you tried both DVI connections on the Westinghouse? According to the manual, one is for 1080i the other 1080p. Maybe only one supports HDCP high-definition copyright protection. The Westinghouse definitely supports this protocol because my Dish network DVR employs it also, and I connect to the Westinghouse via DVI (plug in to DVI 1, not 2).

My other suggestion would be to call Westinghouse Digital directly via the service number in your owner's manual. Talk to one of the technical representatives and explain your problem. They should know best how to resolve it.

Anonymous

Thanks for the answer, Jake. Yes, I tried both connections and got the same response. It's interesting that your DVR with DVI connection works. It makes me think that TW may be giving me a story. In any event, it gives me some ammunition the next time I call TW. They are deathly afraid of the Satellite competition and, in fact, when I built my house I prewired it for both cable and satellite so I could switch if necessary.
I will try the Westinghouse Digital route and see what they say.
Thanks again.
Marvin

RR
Unregistered guest
Hi,
We too have considered the W 32" LCD. My husband bought a Samsung 30" TXR3079WH Flat tube because of the price difference $950 @ BB. I'm not convinced that this was the best way to go. I was rooting for the Westinghouse. Our main concern is the screen. We have little kids that WILL touch the screen. Does too much touching have an effect on the display? We have 30 days to make up our mind about the TV. We are waiting to get our Comcast digital HD/DVR setup. Do you think 30" to 32" make much of a differnece? Any reply is appreciated.

RR
Unregistered guest
Hi,
We too have considered the W 32" LCD. My husband bought a Samsung 30" TXR3079WH Flat tube because of the price difference $950 @ BB. I'm not convinced that this was the best way to go. I was rooting for the Westinghouse. Our main concern is the screen. We have little kids that WILL touch the screen. Does too much touching have an effect on the display? We have 30 days to make up our mind about the TV. We are waiting to get our Comcast digital HD/DVR setup. Then we will be able to see what the Samsung really offers. Do you think a 30" CRT to 32" LCD makes much of a difference? Any reply is appreciated.

turtletovar
Unregistered guest
Well I am tired of the bulb on my Panny 50" LCD RP TV going out (twice in the last year) so I purchased the 32" Westinghouse. I really liked the 37" but I liked the Contrast Ratio and Response Time spec on the 32" better. I know it's a lot smaller than the 50" Panny, but it actually goes with/fits the room better. I connected the LG DVD/HD Tuner to the Westy. Got 1080i feeding and the picture is great. Both with OTA HD and DVD's, I am satisfied. I like the adjustments and controls that are available.

I also connected the Playstation 2 and tried GT4 with 1080i output via Monster component cables and the game graphics and game play was fine. I didn't notice any "ghosting" or artifacts.

I have DirectTV connected with S-Video and the pic looks fine by me too. The feed from satellite is SD, not HD.

I have not connected my PC yet, so no thoughts on that. Still, overall I am pleased with the purchase.

One concern I have though: The spec on Best Buy, Westinghouse, and a couple of online retailer's websites shows a Response Time of 8ms. The box my TV came in says 16ms. Judging by the pic quality I don't think it's 16ms. What should I believe? The model is LTV-32W1.

Just my $.02

I think it's a good buy. I also purchased the 4 yrs extended service dealio.
Happy Camper here so far.

Username: Araque

Has anyone used the picture-in-picture feature? Say, can I have a TV (or HDTV) show playing on the main screen while the PIP shows a "thumbnail" of my computer (VGA or DVI)? Can I switch between these two sources easily?

Post Number: 4
I haven't tried it myself, butaccording to the manual and what I've read on other message boards, yes, and yes. The Westy supports picture-by-picture as well POP or PIP, so I believe you could have a split screen divided between PC (DVI or VGA) and HDTV (DVI or composite). Dedicated buttons on the remote let you switch between these, once you've used the on-screen menus to identify your primary and secondary sources.

RTR
Unregistered guest
A little info on Westinghouse. After talking with both factory people and reps at CES in Jan., I'm convinced they are going to be a major force in the LCD market for years. The plan, according to the factory folks, is to be the "APEX" of the LCD industry (in a volume way, not quality). As a distributor of electronics, that got my attention. They own their factories (as has been stated previously) and finally decided to market the sets themselves. The attention they have been giving dealers and distributors is exemplary, and rather refreshing.

Regarding sizes; LCD panel material is manufactured in a continuous sheet. The edges of the sheets are unsuitable for large panel construction. The trick is to get the equipment scaled up to produce a wide, consistent sheet. Not an easy task. But, I've been assured that production is ramping up.

Summary: Great sets. Sony, Pan, Pioneer, all better watch their tailfeathers. (I ordered a bunch)

Lana
Unregistered guest
Okay everyone!

So far, I think I have found the best price on the Westinghouse 32" LCD. I purchased mine at The Great Indoors, which is owned by Sears. The LCD was $1349.00 (regular price) with 10% off in the month of June, which brought the total down to $1210. That's not all...the warranty is only $99.00 for 3 years. I believe I saved $600.00, maybe $700.00, by not purchasing it from Best Buy.

Lana

Post Number: 4
Thanks, Lana!
I stopped in Great Indoors at lunch today and I didn't see anything about 10% off in June.. Was this advertised somewhere?

Currently, I am interested in a replacement TV for the bedroom and I thought the 27" one looked nice. I bought a Polaroid 26" from Circuit City, but I think I will be taking it back. There is no way to adjust the backlighting and it's just way too bright in a dark bedroom.. looks washed out too!

I'm in the Chicago area, BTW..

Thanks again!

Jerry

Lana
Unregistered guest
Hi Jerry,

There were no advertisements on the 10% off for the month of June. One of the salesmen had mentioned it when I called for pricing. But when I bought the television I had to mention it. I'm not sure, but it seemed like the salesman wasn't going to take off the 10% until I mentioned it. I am in Califorina, hopefully the great indoors will honor it in your area. Also, Best Buy will beat anyones price (except Online) as long as you can prove it, but Best Buy's warranty is so expensive, $300.00 more than The Great Indoors warranty.

Happy HDTV Shopping!

Lana

Username: Sapo

Help

Think prices have become more reasonable and am considering a HDTV.
Wanted the Sharp Aquos that has 1920x1366 lines but it's too big for the space I have.
Interested in getting the westinghouse 37" set since people seem quite happy with it.

Read the post about the Samsung T 451 tuner. Is that all I need to get started?

I think I might buy a DVR to replace my VCR.
The cable companies charge for using "tivo" right?
So it would be cheaper to record with your own machine.
Thanks for any info

Ramki Stamford, CT USA
Unregistered guest
Amazing what this low priced monitor can provide.

This is what I wrote for Amazon.

First I would begin with stating that this is a MONITOR but with all the upscaling / upconverting features of a TV. The only ommision from this monitor is a TV tuner.

Who wants a tv tuner anyway. I connect to my dvd player using the component video cables, my computer using the VGA and my Settop box using the DVI cables. This set has ample number of video input connectors 2 DVI !! 2 Component video 1 VGA and the regular svideo and composite video jacks.

A tv tuner in today's generation would be a waste of money as any high quality video would have an equivalent receiver (Like a set-top box).

To talk more about the picture, The resolution is phenomenol and so obviously U can see hi-def channels very clearly. But the question is always with the standard def channels that we all see. The answer for that is it is phenomenol too! The upscaler built into the monitor does a great job on that. If you see a set in a store with lower quality, then probably it is not tuned properly. There is abundant video tuning available like the usual brightness, contrast, hue, saturation and one more ... Backlight ! Remember the standard-def channels will show in 4:3 format (though there is a fill function available that will "strech" the image). That means U will see 2 solid bars on the left and right. But again, this is an LCD monitor. So there is no fear of screen burns.

I have bought this monitor a couple of days back and I am happy having bought this Item. Being somewhat of an Audio Video buff, I tried out lots of stuff and to my surprise all of them work fine !

If you have a hometheater or are planning to build one or upgrade yours, this is the right choice as it is very "componentized" if I can use the word.

There is a word of caution though, if you have a non-learning universal remote, it may not be able to pick up the codes for the Monitor. I got a set of codes from the customer service, but they did not work. I went to best buy and bought a philips learning remote ($20) and it works perfectly fine then.

If you are thinking about the customer support, Beleive me it is great. I have bugged them a couple of times when I was trying out a lot of stuff with the monitor and not once anyone was rude or was un-knowledgeable. I got all the answers I needed promptly.

If you want ot read any more review of this set try

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/129823.html

I used that for my research before the pourchase.

Ramki Stamford, CT USA
Unregistered guest
From above :
Just bought the LVM37w1 and love it but I'm having interface problems. I have Time Warner cable and want to use their box with DVR using the DVI interface. The problem is that the TW box that comes with DVR and a DVI connector has the DVI connector disabled (apparently due to an FCC order relating to copyright issues). TW switched me to a box that has DVR but only has an active HDMI output. When I bought a cable ($100!!!) to go from the HDMI output of the TW box to the DVI input of the TV I got an error message that said that the "TV does not support HDCP" (what is this?). TW seems to say that their HDMI might work with a DVI input on a TV with an "interface" or "converter" box which no one has heard of.

Hi Anonymous :-),
I found out the way to resolve the problem with my monitor. You have to switch on the Monitor first and the set topbox after that. If it the first time you will see the HDCP not Supported warning. Let it on for about 7-8 mins. It will go away after that and your screen will appear properly. After the first time just remember to switch on the Monitor first and the set-top box after that and you will have your signal.

BrandonH
Unregistered guest
Best Buy now offers the 32" Westinghouse for $998.00. I just bought one and might get another!

pt
Unregistered guest
Anyone have direct comparisons of the Westinghouse to the Syntax Olevia sets? the price range is similiar. My tv died and I need a replacement but BestBuy won't be in my area for another month...but I can get the Olevia now. Should I wait? I plan on using Time Warner HD w/ their DVR...

BobN
Unregistered guest
BrandonH, what BestBuy did you visit? was at BB in NJ last nite, still listed at $1499! Almost purchased an open box item for $1350 w/additional 15% off, but the $998 definitely beats that!

Dunn in CA
Unregistered guest
Regarding OTA receiver--at first I was satisfied with Samsung T451, but then found it exceedingly slow changing channels--VERY exasperating, especially on channel off the air--it just sits trying to find it and won't let you keep going.

Unexpectedly found the RADIO SHACK Accurian much better. Just stay away from the Program Guide, which is also slow. One problem with Accurian is that the westinghouse remote runs it in unexpected ways. Make sure to point each remote at the intended device.

Might try the HUMAX available from Crutchfield? But I've packed up the T451 as well as LG 3510 which is not only slow but hell to set the resolution.

Amanda Lane
Unregistered guest
I have an unusual dilemma...I currently have analog cable, no digital cable in sight. I'm strongly considering DirecTV, for that reason. Either way, I'm looking at fitting this set above my refrigerator, the space is 36(w) x 20.5 (h), with alot of depth. So, will the picture be decent with analog cable? Should I move to DirecTV and how will that help....also, what about the separate HDTV tuner required...won't that make it $$$ comparable to a Sharp or one with a built-in tuner? Sorry for the rambling and thanks for your help.

Post Number: 5
Hey, Amanda,

My suggestion would be to get a Dishnetwork or DirecTV high-definition satellite receiver. That way you won't need an HDTV tuner, even to receive over the air programming (of course, for that you would need an indoor or outdoor HD antenna). The 921 PVR from Dishnetwork utilizes a DVI output which would plug directly into the Westinghouse, keeping the signal digital without any deterioration in picture quality.

Good luck!

Username: Texasdeville

I just bought a Westinghouse LCD HDTV 37 inch at BestBuy for $1,488 (walk-in price only). Yes, it is a 37 inch. It is an excellent price. They said the price drop would end on the 16th of July and go back up to $1,999. I took my inspiron 9300 laptop into the store and connected it to the LCD via DVI and my laptop automatically adjusted to 1920 x 1080 resolution. It looked amazing. It will be here in a few days.

Unregistered guest
Bought the 32" last month and I like what I see so far.

My question is for DirecTV users. Has anyone found the universal remote code number for the Westinghouse?

Thanks!

Unregistered guest
Have had the Westinghouse 37" LCD for about a month. Worked great out of the box after Comcast cable box was properly set up. Absolutely no complaints and the HD is stunning. Got at BestBuy for 1999.00 with free shipping and $100 coupon for next purchase at Best Buy. Highly recommend.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us