Playing video games on plasma

Anonymous

I am in the market for a plasma tv. I mainly use it for sitcoms and dvds. I also play video games on a playstation2, and my question is it possible to play video games on a plasma, with all these burn in issues. Also, any advice on what plasma is good for my viewing.

Username: Natasalucard

Post Number: 6
I have the Panasonic TH42PD25U ED Plasma TV and I play Sony PS2 all the time. Burn in is not an issue if you play smartly. Do not leave the same image on screen for more than a couple of hours, play about 90 -120 minutes, switch your input back to TV for a minute or two this allows the screen time to "refresh" itself and burn in is not an issue. Do not leave it on the same screen for several hours and you will be fine.

Username: Skasol

Post Number: 9
this is also important to me as I am concern on my toshiba 42 plasma

Bronze Member
Username: Arrow224

Post Number: 37
Quote by skasol:

this is also important to me as I am concern on my toshiba 42 plasma

Just remember
- don't play for too long
- have a break every so often - for your eyes and the TV.

MashedBuddha
Unregistered guest
Well that doesn't sound very fun. I don't usually play my xbox for more than two hours at a time (whereas I'll play PC games longer), but with a big flat screen, I might want to play longer. Not to mention that I'll be tempted to play my PC games on the big screen as well.

So my question is do LCD screens have a problem with burn-in and will I see ghosting at 16ms? Can I get under 16ms for under $5000?

Unregistered guest
MashedBuddha: LCD does not have any problems with burn in what so ever. Which is why LCDs are popular in the PC department. TYou most certainly can get a excellent LCD for waaaaay uner 5000. Sharp AQUOS makes one of the best LCDs on the market, at around 16ms (you wont notice a single blurr) and is priced around 1,400 for the 26" and 3,500 for the 37". Generally, LCDs are manufactured in smaller sized, and plasmas are made for a higher size range.

Perrey Z.
Unregistered guest
You're wrong Guest.,

LCDs DO have problems with a type of burn-in.

It's clearly mentioned on the manuals for Samsung LN-R237W and Panasonic TC-22LH30 {Which i both have} and it DOES mention the posibility of image retention in the form of uneven light transmission.

Quote from the Samsung LN-R237W manual:

"Do not leave the screen in pause mode for extended periods of time as you may experience temporary or permanent image burn."

"NOTE: if the borders at the top, bottom and the center of the screen remain fixed for an extended period of time, the amount of light transmission from the backlight will also remain varied and as a result the borders may leave traces."

Another Quote from the warranty document from the Panasonic TC-22LH30 also mentioned this as a problem not cover by their warranty:

"This warranty ONLY COVERS failures due to defects in materials or workmanship, and DOES NOT COVER normal wear and tear or cosmetic damage, nor does it cover makings or retained images on the LCD panel resulting from viewing fixed images (including, amoung other things, letterbox pictures on standard 4:3 screen TV's or non-expanded standard 4:3 pictures on wide screen TV's, or onscreen data in a stationary and fixed location."

The burn-in problems does occur on LCDs but not as serious as on Plasmas. Sometimes it's just ghosting, and will dissapear after you turn the set off. But that's not always the case, particulary with low quality LCDs like Sampo and Maxent.

A 16ms response time was considered the fastest on LCDs last year, but no anymore., Some of Samsung LCDs have 12ms and some models with 8ms., even cheaper brands like Sceptre 37" NagaIII and ViewSonic's NextVision N3250W are in the 8ms-12ms response time range.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us