Best DVD Recorder for Editing

Username: Davidsg99

Post Number: 1
I have been researching various recorders with built in hard drives. I have found that -R recording seems to be the best for compatibility. However, I am having a tough time finding, which machine is best for editing. I want to be able to edit out commercials and bad spots in tapes. I want to use the DVD Recorder for this function. Is there a model that fits this need?

Username: Tonytiger

Post Number: 6
I am using the Panasonic DMR-E80H which has an 80 GB hard drive built in. You copy the tape to the hard drive, then edit the file and dupe it to a DVD-R. There are probably other units out there, but this is the one I use and it does work as advertised. You can also record and time shift analog cable signals.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Anthony!

One more thing. I have quite a few tapes to transfer. I would like to edit out the commercials. From what you said I gather that this is possible. If you can edit the file you can probably mark in and out. Is my assumption correct?

Username: Dj11

Anthony: I just got the Panasonic you just referenced. I'm not sure which brand of DVD-R to buy or does brand make a difference? Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

I know that this forum is for dvd recorders but I need your help about cd recorders. I want buy a audio cd recorder, because I don't like the sound of computer burned cd's. I want know of those two decks, what is the best at doing accurate cd copies (COPIES VIRTUALLY INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM THE SOURCE CD). I know that PIONEER has more smart features like FADE IN/FADE OUT, possibility of add post gaps if you desire, possibility of insert ID to skip tracks you don't want to listen, etc. However, although I like those features, I want know which do better cd copies and which is bettter at tracks access speed(from the first track to the last of a disc), and also which is more quiet during the read of a cd(internal mechanisms noises). Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Regarding the Panasonic I've been using name brands for my DVD-R like Imation. I recently bought a stack of generic DVD-Rs from MicroAge Computers. They seem to work the same for recording. Longevity might be a factor, though.
GD regarding Editing: Yes, you can record the tape to the hard drive, then use the edit menu to mark multiple start and end points in a 'playlist', then dub that playlist to DVD. This effectively allowed you to edit the program, even though the program on the hard disk is only marked and not truly "edited". The finished copy on the DVD is truly the resulting edited program. You may then dub multiple copies of the playlist from the hard drive.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
GD, I almost forgot, the recording to the hard disk is at 1X speed. The editing allows fast forward (up to 70X speed) and the subsequent dubbing to DVD is at 1X speed, so it is not a 'fast' process.

Post Number: 3
Thanks Anthony!

That answers all of my questions. I am going to shop on line for the best price.

Thanks again!

Anonymous

What is the hook up solution for a DVD recorder (Philips DVDR75) to a TV , satellite box, and VCR. Im having problems when trying to record from the VCR to DVD - the vcr plays but nothing shows on the TV screen

Unregistered guest
Is the Sony DVD recorder for only copying DVDs? I do not want to copy DVDs, I have a collection of VHS musical clips that I want to compile onto a DVD editing out 95% of the original VHS content. It's sounding to me like I might need the Panasonic DVD Recorder with the hard drive instead of the Sony. Can anyone confirm or correct my thoughts?

Bronze Member

PA US

Post Number: 60
Hook up

You are receiving signals from the SAT box that are digital. How have you hooked it to your DVR? I have only had success hooking the analog outputs of the box (I have Comcast HD cable) to my DMR. That is, I either run the RF out or the composite video out (S-Video if you got it) and corresponding audio outs to the DMR. With satellite you probably can't use direct RF in (that would require a signal splitting and I don't know if the Philips can tune the channel numbers.

Unregistered guest
I am new to this. I just bought a Panasonic DVD recorder that does -DVD's. It does not have a Harddrive and I wish to edit the DVD's produced.
1. Is there a DVD Editing program that can read and import the product from the original DVD out of the machine, either in it's finalized form or before it is finalized, and then edit it.
I know I can go from the DVD to AVI or DVD or MPEG but I want to avoid the degradation in the process of transfereing to AVI or MPEG and then haning to transfer back in order to produce the final DVD for distribution.
Is there such an animal. Help

bucketweet
Unregistered guest
In response to Anonymous, I have the Philips DVDR72 and had accidentaly found the correct connection set up. I use the RCA output from my satalite receiver, then into the RCA input of the VCR, then RCA output into the RCA input of the DVD recorder, then RCA output into the RCA input of the TV. I have to set the VCR to (L1 or Line 1 using the channel selector) your VCR may vary. Start the VCR so you know there is video playing. With the DVDR remote select the monitor button, use the Channel up/down button and toggle between Channel 3 and go down until you have returned to channel 3. Please note, in my situation I did not set up the DVDR to scan for channels since most DVDR/TV's scan for upwards of 125 channels. I use the satalite as the channel selector therefore only needing to scan 6 channel sellections on the DVDR. You'll also need to have the TV set to the same channel input as your final connection. Play around with it. Hope this wasn't to lengthy.

Thanks for viewing,

Dale

Username: Robimlaw

Anthony: since you have the same DVD recorder, I'll post this to you. I recently purchased the DMR-E80 and much to my dismay found out that it does not accept component video input (it does however have component video output). Like you, I have hi-definition cable via component video (I'm assuming that is how your HD cable is hooked up). In order to utilize the full features of the DVD recorder, the manual states that I should hook the cable coaxial from the wall to my cable box, which has componenent video out, and my cable box to my DVD recorder and then my DVD recorder to the TV. However, as I mentioned, the DVD recorder cannot accept component input. How did you hook up in that format above since you can't use component video with your DVD recorder? Did you use everything via s-video? If so, doesn't that defeat the purpose of paying for cable HD since you can't utilize the component video. Or is going "down" to s-video not that big of a compromise in quality. Thanks.

Unregistered guest
Is there a DVD recorder that I may connect to a VCR to record only selected portions of VHS tapes? I don't want to record to a hard drive and then to a DVD due to further loss of quality, but I do want to be able to edit in the process of recording.

Zenith and Panasonic, and I'm sure other brands, have a DVD-R Recorder and HI-FI VCR combination unit, but I do NOT want to simply duplicate movies or TV episodes. I'm afraid that's all that these are used for. I have frequently been able to selectively copy from VHS to VHS and need to be able to do the same now from VHS to DVD without losing any more quality than necessary. Anyone have any creative suggestions as to how to accomplish this? Many thanks! :-)

Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 10
DVD-RAM can be edited but is not compatible with DVD players, except newer Panasonics. The JVC has a much better picture than the Panasonic, e-cost has the JVC for $299 with free shipping. RAMs can be edited from any point to any point and since they are random the deleted space can be recorded on again without seams, I've been using them for almost 3 years without ever seeing a seam. Also they don't have to be finalized like everything else, the only drawback is they are more expensive than other discs.

Username: One4love4truth

Judy,
As long as you record to the hard drive in SP or XP mode, you will not have any degredation of quality. I tested this using DirecTV to VHS tapes (so I started out with pristine quality recordings) which I transferred to the hard drive. I tried all speeds of recording to the hard drive and only the slowest (EP) showed any noticeable quality changes.

I generally transfer everything with SP since that allows 2 hours onto a DVD. When you go from SP recording on the harddrive to SP on the DVD-R, you can perform high speed transfers. (High speed transfers can only occur xp to xp, sp to sp, etc.)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
I guess I wasn't supposed to put the price in my last post, didn't know that then, but they are out of them anyway. JVC makes a dual deck and has the best picture of any recorder I've seen, it has a HiFI VCR and can record onto RAMs -RWs and -Rs all three, it also has editing capabilities.

Username: Dcwood

Bradford, Westyorkshire England

IVE JUST BOUGHT A SONY DVD RECORDER I HAVE BEEN RECORDING MTV FOR 4 HOURS THEN I PUT THE DISK ON MY COMPUTER RIP IT AND EDIT OUT THE SONGS I DONT LIKE USING WOMBLE MPEG VCR IT WORKS FINE BUT IT RE SAVES EACH VOB FILE AS AN MPEG SO I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO TO GET IT BACK ON A DISK WITH THE NEW CUTS I DONT WANT TO RE AUTHOR IT . IS THERE ANOTHER WAY OF DOING THIS

Username: Tamgelikah

Also looking to get a new DVD recorder. Looks like the "JVC" is a solid choice. Problem is, no one has specifically stated the model and make of the "JVC" but I've done a little homework and I believe it's the JVC DR-M10S but can someone please confirm.

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
That is the model number. Records good, better than Panasonic, I've used both.

Username: Tamgelikah

Thanks David!! You're the man!! I sent you a more detailed PM. But in anycase, I'll be going out or online right now and buying the JVC DR-M10S.

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
e-cost has the best price I've seen for the JVC.

Anonymous

Is there a DVD recorder that plays AVI files?

Anonymous

one word cuberhome.

Username: Scruffy787

I just bought the toshiba d-vkr3su, which has both a vcr and dvd burner. It was easy to dub a tape to dvd, and the playback on that recorder was fine. However, when I put it in my computer to edit, it was speeded up. Does anyone have any solutions? I called Toshiba tech support and they said it's not meant to be editable in a computer. Should I return it? What would be a better burner to get?

Bronze Member
Username: Tipstir

Post Number: 59
Sharp, Sanyo, Emerson, Pioneer, Toshiba, Sony, Panasonic are more likely not going to work, the ones that do are Liteon ILO, Apex, Aspire.

You can get one for the PC, I would get NEC 3500a dual layer 16x DVD Burner handles both formats and upto 8.5GB.

Username: Mclubq

Post Number: 4
The bush model will do this also

Unregistered guest
Help, I am looking for a good DVD Recorder/VHS dual player that can play all formats of SVD's, CD's, etc. as well as editing features from recording DVD from old VHS tapes. I was looking at the Toshiba VJR3SU at Costco, good price, but after reading the above, I am now very leary of this purchase. Can anyone recommend a good recorder that won't cost me a months mortgage payment, hehehehe. THANKS for your input

Silver Member

Post Number: 591
Combos blow, buy seperately.

kat B
Unregistered guest
I went to ecost to find the jvc recorder mentioned here and noticed under platform it says pc & mac...what the heck does that mean.... and will this copy protected dvds? or how the heck do you do that?

Paulix
Unregistered guest
Hi,
Anyone out there using the JVC DR-MX1 3-in-1 DVD recorder ?
The only thing that is putting me off is the fact that it cannot record RGB input but has RGB output!
Would seem damn near perfect if it could do RGB input.
Anyone transfered VHS to HDD ?
Is the editing really as good as they say on this deck?
I want to do the best edits i can.
Will the lack of RGB input really make a big difference when i record from my RGB output receiver ?

Any help is appreciated and also any suggestions as to other models that can do all that the JVC can do PLUS RGB in.
Looking forward to your replies.
Thanks!

Kathy Brecken
Unregistered guest
I have just purchased a toshiba d-vkr3su...how do I add to what I have recorded. I want to keep adding shows from a series but I am not sure how to find the place to start after I have one recorded...I am using DVD-R

Silver Member

Post Number: 634
The recorder will start after the last recording, you don't need to do anything.

Unregistered guest
Can someone kindly help with regards to the following.

Which is the best professional DVD recorder in the market available for burning Commercials of broadcast quality and also which is the best internal DVD drive (writer)?

Username: Josip

Hi,
I was wondering if any of you know of a DVD recorder with digital terrestial tuner (DVB-T, as I'm in Europe) and a DVI-D in/out ?

Thanks for your reply in advance

Josip

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 448
Serious and most versatile video editing is best done on a computer. If all you want to do is remove the commercials or other minor editing, consider a DVD recorder model from Sony or Panasonic with a hard drive.

Silver Member

Post Number: 869
DVD-RAM is excellent for editing, the edited parts can even be recorded over seamlessly. I've had problems with the PC reading discs that were too heavily edited though, they still work fine in the standalone. Compatibility sucks, most burners and DVD players aren't RAM compatible.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 450
Yep. That's the main problem with DVD-RAM.

AVExplorer
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I've been reading some of thes posts about good DVD recorders with internal HDs. I'm looking for a good recorder that can record on DVD+-R and DVD+-RW that also has an internal HD or Tivo (or similar). I saw that the Sony desktop recorders seem to be the ones that can record on DVD+- formats. However, they do not have DVD-RAM compatibility as the Panasonic models do. However, I've read that the picture quality for the Panasonic models are not as good as others. Does anyone know other players that seems to have it all:
- ability to record on DVD+-R and RW, DVD-RAM,
- ability to play DVD-Audio &/or DVD-RAM, SACD, CD+-R/RW
- has an internal harddrive or Tivo or similar

I need to store some video from cable and want the ability to do some minor editing.

Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1026
As far as I know nothing does all formats. Toshiba and JVC do RAM, but not +R or +RW. The new Panasonics are supposed to do +R but not +RW from what I've heard. I don't know if they're out yet.

ouyang
Unregistered guest
I want to copy Hi-8 tape from Sony Camcorder to DVD, any suggestion which brand and model will be a good choice? Thanks.

jb1000
Unregistered guest
I have just transferred fifteen Hi-8 tapes twice onto DVDs on a Panasonic DMRE65 DVD recorder. I had no problems. The link I used was an i-Link (IEEE 1394). If your Sony has this i-link (you may find this is called DV out in your manual), this produces identical quality on the Panasonic DVD. I recorded onto DVD-R. I recommend.

p.s. the Panasonic has no hard disk. Being a RAM recorder, however, you can edit the DVDs themselves without a hard disk. That said, I didn't want to do any editing.

Unregistered guest
thanks you all... while ido get ss, iam a novice to camcorders... iwant a vcr type mini dv player! maybe a combo vcr that would play vhs+mini dv+dvd+cd... am iasking for too much?? since istarted my internet research yesterday, iam thankful for all the helpful users sharing their knowledge!! also, as some of you have suggested, why arent the developers satisfying our needs? Anyway, my initial desire/question is to have the following options for my friends and family.... a 'vcr type player' to play a mini dv cassette that imight mail to them; similar to the way vhs tapes are mailed and played. Or, during a visit imay bring mini dvs to play/enjoy.... thats a start, then imay want to put my mini dv cassette into a player and record it to dvd or dvr? help!! idont really want to use a computer. thank you.... PTL...cpm/pjm
ps.. iam not sure if ican find this place again... please email any constructive advice/thoughts directly to me thanks again with subject= mini dv ... beachballpop@aol.com
pss... we have the canon optura 60

Unregistered guest
Hi,
I've been reading through the posted information in hopes of finding a DVD Recorder to suit my needs. No one seemed to mention analog recording although many of the VHS recorders (at least the older ones) are analog. Does the JVC DR-M10S have the ability to capture from an analog source like a VCR and if not can someone tell me which modle does. Do you recommend a different model. It seems this is a highly recommended model otherwise. Thanks for the help. Karon (ksr46@swbell.net)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1287
Any recorder will record from VHS. The JVC has proven to be unreliable.

Anonymous

Thanks David, which one would you recommend?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1291
Panasonic or Pioneer

Anonymous

Is there one that I can copy my vhs movies to DVD or even cd so I can store them on my motor home? Leaving them in the heat destroys them like they are and they take up too much space. I know you probably get into the copy protected issues--but I'm just trying to protect my own investment. If you know of a specific model, please let me know. Thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1292
Anything will record from VHS. If the tapes are copy protected you'll need a stabilizer. The discs can get pretty hot without damage to them, as long as stored properly and they aren't exposed to sunlight.

Anonymous

Ok, thanks--not for the dumb question--what is a stabilizer? Is it hardware of some kind and is there one you can recommend?

Anonymous

Ok, thanks--not for the dumb question--what is a stabilizer? Is it hardware of some kind and is there one you can recommend?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1295
Digital video stabilizer, do a search and you'll find plenty of info. I use one like they sell at MCM Electronics for $20. Their site isn't working right now or I'd give a link.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 645
Hi,

My cousin is considering buying a Sony RDRGXD500MR because it's the only recorder we can find with built-in Freeview digital tuner. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Much obliged (I know nothing about recorders).
Frank.

JerryM
Unregistered guest
Hi all,
After some research I am leaning towards Panasonic DMR-E500HS DVD recorder with 400GB hard drive. Any opinions and comments would be appriciated!
Of course I would like to do some video editing, mainly to my older VCR tapes, and documenting them digitally. I was planning on capturing VHS tapes directly into the DMR-E500HS hard drive, then using LAN editing them on my home computer, and back on suggestions and opinions on this Panasonic unit?
Thanks all.

Username: Trasnsfer

Broomfield, CO Usa

Hi,
Is there a DVD recorder available to make seamless playback possible?
Recently purchased a Panasonic DMR-E100HS DVD recorder to edit and transfer about 80 Hi-8 tapes.
The unit boasts seamless playback, however this is not the case PER/PANASONIC. All edits or additional plays/films will have a glitch of some kind and it gets much worse if the disk is dubbed at high speed.
Could there possibly be a fix or DVD recorder that that would eliminate this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help, Steve

Unregistered guest
Hello, I have a Panasonic DVD recorder VHS combo model DMR-E75V. It WAS working beautifully for several months, but now it is wiping my DVD-R disk's of memory--you cannot add to nor can you finalize the disks--and the unit periodically freezes up. I have lost many disks over the past month. Does anyone know about this problem...I need help. Also, I was told (by a Circuit City employee) that the digital video stabilizer may not always work, is that true?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1349
Try cleaning the laser. Not finalizing is a common problem when they die.

KKN
Unregistered guest
I bought a DMR-E80 (80GB) and it was working very well for me. Now I hope to change the hard disk to 250GB. Anyone done that before?

Unregistered guest
I have 2 questions:
a- I am actually using a philps dvd recorderto copy VHS onto DVDs. With some of my tapes the DVD recorder displays no signal although I get sound and image when I connect the VCR to the TV.
b- I want to buy nw DVD recorders but don't know what 2 buy. It is important fo me to be able to schedule recordings and to be able to edit the videos on my computer in order to slice them int clips.

Unregistered guest
I am using an RCA DRC 8295 recorder
Lately I am having trouble with it finalizing
some times it works some times it dont.

Unregistered guest
I am using an RCA DRC 8295 recorder
Lately I am having trouble with it finalizing
some times it works some times it dont.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1380
You could try cleaning the laser or using better discs. RCA=junk, it's probably dying.

Unregistered guest
I am researching before buying a DVD recorder. I have TiVo - can I record from that hard drive while I watch the program and edit commercials as I go on a DVD? Looking for best.

TonyLasVegas
Unregistered guest
I have a Panasonic DVD-R/VHS combo model DMR-E75V. It it is wiping my DVD-R disk's of memory and you cannot add to nor can you finalize the disks. Also, the unit periodically freezes up. I have lost many disks over the past month. Does anyone know about this problem...I need help, I have tried cleaning the laser head, but the unit's still destroying disks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1464
Are they good discs or cheap junk?

TonyLasVegas
Unregistered guest
I use TDK & Imation disks mostly. Also what is the average life expectancy of a DVD Recorder? I have had this one about 8 months. Thanks for your help.

<<are>>

Gold Member

Post Number: 1466
I got about 2 1/2 years out of my E20. I've got a first generation E10 from 2001 that still works fine. Combos suck though, poor quality.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us