Sony KDF-50WE655

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through May 15, 2005Cyfairslam100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

FLBuckeye
Unregistered guest
Robbo,

If you don't already have a UPS on your TV I would recommend it. It will help protect your electronics and the bulb from premature failure.

If you didn't buy an extended warranty when you bought the TV consider buying one from Sony before your 1 year warranty is up. I believe Sony will sell you one up until then. These TVs are unproven technology and a large investment. Extended warranties aren't always a good buy, but in this case they are.

I have not heard short bulb life being an issue on Sony's (and I have been perusing the Home Theater message boards constantly for the last several months). From what I have read there are a few brands that have chronic short bulb life, but for all brands there are incidents of short bulb life.

Now for the good news, from what I have seen Sony has the least expensive replacement bulbs ($199 msrp) and they are readily available from many sources.

Good luck and enjoy your TV.

Username: Robbo

Post Number: 3
FLBuckeye:

Sony service came out and replaced only the bulb within 72 hours. Hopefully, that's all there was to the problem. I do intend to buy a backup bulb so I can continue using the set the next time a bulb fails and I am awaiting service.

I did purchase a 3 year service contract from OneCall (4 years total coverage) with the TV. I know how valuable a service contract can be given the cost of repair calls.

I don't have a UPS, but I do use a Monster PowerCenter HTS800 surge suppressor/line conditioner with all my AV equipment. Is the battery backup of a UPS any more beneficial than surge suppression?

Bronze Member
Username: Pugcharlie

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 54
I have a Monster HTS1000 Power Center but I am thinking a UPS in addition because a UPS will allow the power to continue so that you can efectively turn off your TV and allow the cooling fans to continue to run.

Post Number: 4
Has anyone had their set professionally calibrated by an ISF or equivalent technician?

I really would like to get the best picture possible from my set. Even after using Digital Video Essentials, I can tell that the red balance needs to be backed down.

If anyone knows of a good tech in the Chicagoland area, I would really appreciate a recommendation!

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 55
I am very fussy but I'm very happy with my KDF-50WE655's color, etc so I haven't seen the need.

Username: Cyfairslam

Houston, Texas USA

Post Number: 8
Anyone have any answers for me? Any help would be appreciated.

KDF-55WF655

The owners manual states there is an advanced video. However, I cannot figure out how to access it. Is this option only available on some of the other models.

Also, still have not been able to get more than 27 analog cable stations while my other TVs in the house get 60 plus channels.

Anyone have any answers? Thanks

Username: Thetinram

Post Number: 2
Are you talking about the service menu?

Houston, Texas USA

Post Number: 9
Nope...it is noted in the owners manual.

However, I don't see how to access the "Advanced Vidoe Feature". But it does not say anything about which model(s) it applies to.

What page of the manual?

Houston, Texas USA

Post Number: 10
Page 100 (From pdf file online and is probably the same on the published manual)

Username: Togar1

Post Number: 1
I've had KDF55WF655 for about 1/2 year. Generally I'm happy but a bit disappointed when a DVD or TV show has dark / nighttime scenes. I think the inability to produce a deep true black results in a bit of washout in those scenes. I particularly notice this when I compare with my friends crt rp which shows better blacks, gradations, and contrast - not that I'd change sets with him. I can't seem to improve the picture with the normal video controls.

Is anyone else a little disappointed when viewing dark scenes?

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 58
Rob
I have a KDF-50WE655 and I love it. I had heard about dark scenes not doing very well on LCD RP and well, they aren't the best, are they? But it's a trade-off as I have seen no other RPs display beautiful color as do the Sonys. If a dark scene has some key lighting, it looks fine. Check out "Artificial Intelligence" and you will see beautiful night scenes filled with blacks and the glow of neon. On the other hand, the dark scenes in "Mulholland Drive" don't do very well. For me, after months of comparing TVs, I still preferred the Sony Gragas for gorgeous color and clarity of image.

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 59
Opps..."Sony Gragas" are not a new model! I meant Grand Wega, of course.....

Jared3333
Unregistered guest
I bought my KDF-50WE655 set 2 weeks ago. I am using the component jacks but my dvd movies I play look like they have dots and pixelation to the movies.What mode do you guys use to watch dvd movies and what do you have your settings at?

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 60
Is your DVD player set for progressive mode? It should look smooth (not as good as HD TV but at 480p, you should have a great picture). You may be noticing the screen door effect during light scenes but I don't think that's what you mean.

Jared3333
Unregistered guest
Yes I have the dvd player in progressive mode. The faces on the people are fuzzy it does not look clear. Do you have any idea why? It looks the same when I watch my digital cable kind of like little blocks. I'm not really sure how to work all the settings the operating instructions booklet it is not real clear on how to fix this problem.

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
Jared3333,
Try putting it into pro mode and turn off all the video enhancement features. That made a very big difference for me.

Jared3333
Unregistered guest
How do you turn off all the video enhancement features? I put it into pro mode. Will I have to adjust the settings on everything? Because when I put it in pro mode it is real dark. Thanks

HD Fanatic
Unregistered guest
I think you might be used to it being too bright, especially if you have been watching in vivid mode. Have you tried a calibration disc yet? If you have a DVD with the THX optimizer, like StarWars Episode I&II, you can use that to set up the brightness. These TV's are usually too bright with the factory settings, and it really washes out the darks.

As for the video enhancements, if it is in pro mode, I believe most of them are defaulted to off. You can check by going into the on screen menu, under video settings, and you will see them at the bottom of the list of options.

Bronze Member

Houston, Texas USA

Post Number: 11
With no help from this group, I found the advanced video feature but it only appears in the Video 1 input. It does not show up in Video 7 input which is the HDMI input for me. I don't know why?

I also still don't know why I cannot get the analog cable stations my other TV gets. I only get 27 channels in Video 1 and see no setting that I can change to make a difference.

Post Number: 5
Hey Cy-Fair,

Any chance your cable is plugged into the VHF/UHF jack instead of the cable jack?

Have you tried scrolling up rather than down in the Video Menu to reach the Advanced Video selection? Seems to be a little quirk in the menu program. Give that a try.

Username: Hillboy

my 50 655 just started showing large yellow lines on the right side of the screen , it looks like a 10 inch square yellow print board called sony no service tech in the area....still waiting for a call back it has been 3 days no return call

SouthernGuy
Unregistered guest
I am just about sold on the KDF-50WE655. I will have HD cable supplied by Time Warner in NC. From what I have seen (in person, reviews and on discussion boards), I feel confident that the HD signals will be fine.

What should I expect out of analog signals? Is there any suggestions on hookup/setup to enhance the picture quality when watching "regular TV"? This is probably what we will be watching 80%+ of the time...

Thanks in advanced...

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 71
I have owned the KDF-50WE655 since March and love it. I think it has an incredibly beautiful picture. Keep in mind that new models will be out soon that will display at 720p native. The KDF series display at 1080i native. I believe, but I am by far no expert, that 720p handles fast moving scenes better. But personally, I prefer the design of the KDF series.
Analog signals look OK. They don't look as good as if displayed on a standard TV but from what I hear, the Sony Grand Wega LCD RPs display analog the best. But who cares about analog? your HD channels are stunning and if you choose to not wait for the new models, you will still be very happy with your new Grand Wega.

SouthernGuy
Unregistered guest
Thanks Steve A.

Steve A. Is the native resolution on the 50" really 1080i? I have the KDF-55WF655 and the native res is definitly 788p.

You sure about that?

Username: Hillboy

Just had my light engine replaced yesterday on the 50/655 5 months old service guy said he has seen 3 come in this way. 1800 dollar part

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 72
I checked with Sony again and all the Sony Grand Wega 2005 LCD RPs have a 1080i native resolution although they can be set to progressive. Crutchfield is incorrect in stating (regarding the KDF-50WE655)that:
"1386 x 788 pixels (all signals displayed at 788p)" That is wrong.

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 73
Martin, your Grand Wega has a native resolution of 1080i. Check with Sony and you'll see that I'm correct. The pixels are, however, 1386 X 788).

fx
Unregistered guest
Steve,

1386 x 788 or normally 1440 x 720 is not a 1080i display. All LCD Displays are commonly called 720P although the picture is scaled to 788P in a Sony. No amount of you stating otherwise is going to make any LCD display native 1080i.

Below is the link to the 132 page owners manual in a pdf format if you want to read it all:

http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/documents/specifications/KDF 50WE655.pdf

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 74
Your link is in my email but not in the post. The link doesn't work. All I know is that if you call 1 (800) 222-SONY and ask for an agent you'll be told that it's a 1080i native display. Additonally, I have printed out a link to a Sony Dealer website (which you normally can't access-it must have been in an a/v forum) and the description states that the KDF-42/50WE655 TVs have a "Hi-Scan 1080i display." The link is:
http://www.sony.com/dn

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 75
FX,
I have the manual for the KDF-50WE655. Exactly what page is there information on the native display? I couldn't find it.
Steve

fx
Unregistered guest
Steve,

I just posted the link to the manual FYI. Unless you understand how fixed pixel displays work nothing I say will be able to convince you that that minimum wage customer service rep at Sony is mistaken. If you did understand how fixed pixel displays worked you would know that ALL of them are progressive scan units, but then you would have never said it was a 1080i native display in the first place.

Lastly for any fixed pixel display to be true 1080 it would by necessity need to display 1920 x 1080. One such technology is LYCOS which has such a capability, LCD does not.

Here is a link that explains fixed pixel displays vs CRT's:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/archives/pixelcount.html

xvxvxvx

Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, Id.

Steve,
Page 50 states "Note that this TV displays ALL types of picture in a resolution of 1368 X 768 lines."

The Sony TV's scale the incoming resoluution to 768P just as the manual states. Now, I know that some of the CRT Sonys have a 1080i Hi-Scan feature, but I have not seen that feature on any of the microdisplays. Furthermore, the manual makes no mention of 1080i Hi-Scan. I think that the person you talked to at Sony might have been thinking of their CRT line.

BTW, fx's link worked fine for me. You need Adobe Acrobat reader to view it.

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 76
fx,
That link was just great and so informative . Thank you!
HD Fanatic,
thank you as well. Sony is still vague on the native display, however since the direct retailer link does say that the KDF-42/50WE655 models have Hi-Scan 1080i display. It could very well be that the information is an error. And Sony techs have been wrong on occassion(based on my other experiences with my Vaio and Aibos). Thanks all!
Steve

Unregistered guest
I purchased my KDF-50WE655 a few weeks ago from Circuit City. I hooked up the Time Warner Scientific Atlanta DVR using S video because it doesn't come with component ouputs. I've read a lot of reviews about this model and majority of the owners state the picture quality is excellent. Maybe I've got a lemon or I hooked it up wrong, but a lot of stations does not come out clear. Anyone can help? Was there special setup that I missed?

Also, I decided not to purchase CC's extended warranty because it starts from the day of purchase instead of after manufacturer's warranty ends.

Anyways, I decided to shop around for warranties from other companies and came across GE Service Protection Plus being offered by 4cost.com. Their prices are very reasonable and services are available in all 50 states.

Give yourself the peace of mind you deserve with an extended service plan backed by GE Service Protection Plus.

Service Protection Plus is the largest provider of extended warranties in North America. All brands, makes and models - from appliances to home electronics. You're covered by a national network of over 180 factory-trained technicians and over 1,000 authorized service technicians. Friendly and helpful Customer Service staff are available to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, each and every day of the year.

I was wondering if anyone has purchased from 4cost.com before or know of other companies that offer similar plans?

Here's the link for their extended warranty:

http://www.4cost.com/index.php?cPath=6

Aloha, Nancy

Unregistered guest
Hey Chris, that drawing you have for the entertainment center.... my KDF-50WE655 is sitting in one that looks almost identical to it :-)

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 78
Nancy,
You NEED component video cables and a HD set top box or a cable card to get a great picture! I don't like the looks of the GE warranty. Exclusions on items include bulbs (do they mean refigerator bulbs?). I have a $499 CC warranty. Most if not all extended warranties start at the date of purchase. CC includes bulb replacement.

Unregistered guest
Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply.

I do have component video cables... but what do I connect to? The Scientific Atlantic digital cable box does not have component connections in the back.

Is the Scientific Atlanta considered a HD set top box? Do I need a cable card in additional to this box?

I didn't even see the exclusion of bulbs in the GE warranty. I guess I'll have to read more on it.

Aloha!

Unregistered guest
Hi Steve,

I do have component video cables... but what do I connect to? The Scientific Atlantic digital cable box does not have component connections in the back.

Is the Scientific Atlanta considered a HD set top box? Do I need a cable card in additional to this box?

I didn't even see the exclusion of bulbs in the GE warranty. I guess I'll have to read more on it.

Aloha!

Unregistered guest
Hi Steve,

Aloha!

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 79
You do not have a HD set top box because you most likely didn't notify your cable company. You will need to buy several sets of component video cables to replace cables going to your TV from the set top box and all video connections from DVD player and receiver. Readomg your manual is a good place to start!

Unregistered guest
Thanks Steve for your reply. I will call Time Warner in the morning and inquire about this HD set top box. So this is in addition to the Scientific DVR?

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 80
No, Nancy. The HD set top box would replace your other cable box. It has everything your other set top box has plus the capacity to transmit HD channels.

JILL
Unregistered guest
I would like to hear from those who have purchased the Sony Wega KDF50WE6555 since Jan. 05.

I have read so much on the boards about bulb issues in older models. Has it been resolved? I can't stomach replacing the bulb before the 2 years of payments are up. I would expect we watch about 3 hrs average per day.

I was also looking into the Mitsubishi DLP 52525 . Are the bulbs susposed to last longer on this? Does anyone know what the price of the bulbs are for this one? It looks like you can get the Sony bulbs for $200 and I assume as more people buy these TVS the prices will drop.

Jill
Unregistered guest
So I just got a call from my husband.
and he said the BB coverage covers bulbs for 4 years. As many bulbs as you need. It also covers other repairs. You figure you'll need a new bulb every two years with normal use, so I figure it is very worthwhile at $400.

This TV was $2700 just a few weeks ago (and 3k not much earliery). now it is $2370. So it's allmost like they are throwing in the warranty for free.

Also the manager said they sell the most Sony LCDS but they have the fewest complaints.

What more- you get the BB points back card for $10 and you get a $150 GC from this purchase! (Which evidently you will need to get a new DVD player to play in HD!)

He also got free delivery out of him. Not sure if that is just because my husband is a manager at another store in that shopping center. But worth a shot!

So we have till tomorrow to decide. Go for it? Anyone? Sounds like a good deal to me.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrmagoo

Hanover, MA USA

Post Number: 28
Jill,
I got the KDF55WF655 in April and it has been great! $2370 sounds about right for this set - I paid $2999 for my set, but it is slightly larger and I believe that the "WF" models are newer than the "WE" models. I have had no issues with my set - cable card works great - SD and HD both look fantastic.

Bend Over & Touch Your Toes
Unregistered guest
I really like the LCD picture better than the DLP. However, the problem I notice is when watching sports the LCD can't keep of with the action like the new HLR samsung series can. Does anyone know when the new Sony LCD models will be available and if they adjusted for this issue?

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 81
Some motion blur is my only complaint for my Grand Wega. I can live with it. The picture is beautiful.

Unregistered guest
Just got a reply from 4cost.com regarding the GE extended warranty. The bulb replacement is covered.

The bulbs are covered under the HDTV warranty. If you want to place that order please call 1-877-654-2678 x 119 and I will be glad to set it up for you. Thanks for your time.

Jacob McCain
4Cost.com
Sales Representative
1-877-654-2678 x 119

Unregistered guest
Steve A,

I went to CC to purchase the 4 year extended warranty but was told it only covers 1 bulb replacement in the entire 4 year period. Is this true? THanks.

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 84
That is not what I was told but I WILL check into that.

Unregistered guest
Hey Steve A,

Just looked it up at CircuitCity.com under Comprehensive Service Guide and Terms and Conditions.

WHAT'S COVERED
Home and Car Products:
•F* Failures due to normal use and operation
and power surges.
•P* Pixel burnout is covered as specified by the
manufacturer.
•L* Lamps on projection TVs are covered and include onetime replacement.

BIG SCREEN TVs, TVs 25" & UP,
and SATELLITE DISHES
In-home Service and Lamp Replacement for Projection TVs
•Call (888) 333-2333 for troubleshooting and service
information.
* Service is typically completed during normal business
hours and within about 14 business days.
* Projection TV replacement lamp may be mailed to you.

This is the reply i got back from 4cost.com regarding bulb replacement:

Dear Nancy,

As many as you need in 4 years. Please give me a call if you wish to
place
the order I'll be glad to set it up for you. Thanks and have a great
day!

Sincerely,

Jacob C. McCain
4cost.com
Sales Representative
1-877-654-2678

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 85
Nancy, 'I AM annoyed at Circuit City! I just called them and the Customer Service Manager said that the plan just changed June 1 and she is looking up the older plan when I got my Sony KDF-50WE655. She's pretty sure that it covered unlimited lamps but in any event if not, I want a discount on my $499 plan!!!!!She's calling me back.

Unregistered guest
Steve,

If you purchased the tv & plan before the change, you should be 'grandfather' in. It would be illegal for them to change it on you.

I called the 800 number and it was confirmed. The rep. suggested I purchase the 2 year plan where I can get 1 bulb replacement, and then renew after that so I can receive another replacement during the 3rd & 4th year.

The extended warranty from 4Cost.com is actually a GE Warranty. I have contacted GE directly to see if the 4 year plan will be cheaper.

Aloha, Nancy

I contacted Time Warner and was told the HD set-up box will not make my tv clearer. They are coming this week to see if they can help me.

Jill
Unregistered guest
Wow at BB the plan is $100 less and includes lamps...

So the TV is great. (Sony 50) HD is great, DVD is great. Regular channels are what I expected.

I will say that zooming does not look as good. But since there are no burn in issues, we will watch in the format the show is in.

I'll also say I have noticed weird pixelation around some type. How do I fix this?

One question. We tried to rent a movie on demand. We got the widscreen format. It was letterboxed on all 4 sides. Zooming looked terrible.

When we set up the TV, comcast told us to set the cable box to receive at 4:3 ration. That makes sense to watch sitcoms and such, but if we rent a widescreen movie, should we be changing it to 16x9? I assume this is why the movie we rented did not look right. Like we were getting the widescreen format with the bars at top and bottom (as we would on a 4:3 TV) but also getting the bars at the side since our TV is widescreen.

Unregistered guest
Does BB sell extended warranties if you didn't buy the tv from them?

Jill
Unregistered guest
I don't know about BB, but it's 4 years, $399

After much research on the above matter I found that changing it to 16:9 makes no difference. If something is broadcast as letterbox, you have to either watch it small or zoom in. Bummer. Guess this means I am better of renting widescreen DVDS than on demand.

I think I have it correct now. Setting up the cable box, I should have 16:9 selected as TV type, and then 1080i as resolution. Then the 4:3 override should say 480p and it will covert the 480i into 480p, which is a better picture.

is this right??

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 86
One question. We tried to rent a movie on demand. We got the widscreen format. It was letterboxed on all 4 sides. Zooming looked terrible.

Jill:
The film was letterboxed on all 4 sides because it was letterboxed for SD broadcasts. It was not a HD broadcast. If you are watching a HD channel, your 16x9 screen will be filled (with the exception of top and bottom -sometimes you still will get a black band to some degree if the proportions are wider than 16 X 9). Some HD channels have sidebars because they are upconverting a standard broadcast. Widescreen HD displays are anamorphic.

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 87
I spoke with the CC assistant manager who sold me my TV and she told me that they had a conference call about the new Cityadvantage extended warranty. She told me that the plan was being changed AGAIN to "lamps as neeed". She told me not to worry. I am going over there to get this in writng because my Cityadvantage plan doesn't spell this out.

Jill
Unregistered guest
Thanks Steve. I hope your CC plan works out.
So anything on an HD channel with sidebars is not HD, it's just upconverted (ie still better than the regular channels). All HD programs are anamorphic widescreen? Is this correct?

Luckily our movie rental store is 2 minutes away. We paid $150 for a new DVD player so we might as well watch upconverted DVDS in widescreen rather than SDTV. I think the main issue is not needing to zoom on the widescreen DVDs.

What does everyone have their cable box set to for their Sony? 1080i or 720p? I read that 1080 can look more clear, but if there is alot of motion (like sports) 720p is better????

I am so utterly confused. Being a graphic artist, technology does not phase me, but this TV stuff is really confusing!!! I guess since it's a drastic change in our TV viewing it may take some time to get all the facts.

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 88
Hey, I am still confused!

Older DVDs may be letter boxed but not "enhanced for widescreen TVs" which mean they will have black on all sides and you would have to zoom. Newer DVDs will say either "Enhanced for Widescreen TVs" or "Enhanced for 16:9: or "Anamorphic Widescreen"
My cable box is set to 1080i and there is some motion blur. When I set it to 720p the picture isn't as good which is for a variety of reasons, most broadcasts are done in 1080i. I will let someone else take this one on because I am not that knowledgeable about it.

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 89
I just got back from Circuit City and they re-printed my receipt and added "Circuit City CityAdvantage includes replacement lamps as needed"
I was also told that they will be changing the Extended Warranty terms back to this. But now I feel better!!!!

Unregistered guest
Hi Steve,

Good to hear about your CC CityAdvantage. Did they give you a timeframe this will be done? I don't want to purchase the plan until it is..or I'll just get it from 4Cost.com.

I called GE Warranty direct today. Their 4 Year plan was like $200 more than 4Cost.com even though 4Cost is selling their warranty. The rep. said 4Cost can offer it lower because they buy the warranty in bulk...

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 90
Nancy, no time frame was given. They have stickers on all the RP TVs that need lamps and they still say something like "Free Replacement of Original Lamp." She told me that the current and soon to be ended plan (6/01) was a reaction to customers trying to get replacements w/o really needing them. She agreed that the new warranty as written is not very good or consumer-friendly. I am just glad I got it in wiritng. Make copies of your CC receipts because they're printed on thermal paper and fade over just a few months! I asked her what happens when I call service and the call is taken in India (which is where the telephone support is) and CC changes their mind again? She said just to bring in the receipt to the store in that case. SO I AM GLAD THAT I GOT IT IN WRITING!!

Jill
Unregistered guest
So people were stocking up on lamps? I wondered about that and asked at BB. They said when they send the lamp, they send a postage paid box to send the old lamp back. I assume if you don't send back the old one, they will charge you for it.

Though we definetly plan on breaking it right before the warranty is up so we can get a new one! LOL

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 91
I believe that's what she meant but I do know that now you have to send in the bad bulb. I have a feeling that the bulb needs to blow completely for them to replace.

Unregistered guest
Is bulb replacement fairly simple to do? I asked 4Cost.com and was told bulb replacement is in-home service. They will send someone to replace it instead of mail you a bulb. This is the GE warranty.

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 92
Bulb replacement is consumer replaceable. The manual for my KDF-50WE655 explains how and the each lamp comes with an allen wrench. it looks fairly easy.

Unregistered guest
Bulb is consumer replaceable. Now I'm confused. 4cost.com extended warranty states:

11. What is Not Covered:

c. Consumer replaceable items such as batteries, tapes, ribbons, bulbs, hoses, water membranes, air filters, water filters, fuses, belts, knobs.

So I checked with the rep. He double-checked just to make sure and said the lamp is covered and its in home. The said the 'bulb' listed above actually meant 'bulbs' in a refrigerator or microwave oven.

Unregistered guest
I decided to call Sony direct since they also sell service plans. Their 5 year plan is only $279.99 and it covers the lamp replacement. The rep. was going over what was covered and lamp replacement was one of them.

I asked if there was a limit on # of lamp replacements. He said no..but mentioned if you are calling too frequently for lamp replacement, they will need to look into further.

I guess I'll be buying their service plan. It's 1/2 the cost of others and the coverage is the same.

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 94
Will Sony send someone to your home to fix the Grand Wega? I would ask them. Circuit City's plan is "in home" but it is so expensive. I purchased it because that's whgere I got my TV. But $499 for a 3 year add on plan (4 years) is excessive.

Unregistered guest
Yes, Sony's plan is "in home' service for TVs 25" and larger. I also purchased my TV from Circuit City...but Sony will sell you the plan no matter where you get it from.

Unregistered guest
8. PLACE OF SERVICE:

On-Site service will be provided for all televisions with a screen size equal to 25 or larger, and for all projection televisions.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/EW_ViewExt endedWarranty-Detail?CategoryName=Consumer%20Electronics&TabName=TC&Telesales=

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 95
Sony has a great plan then. Go for it. Circuit City, while better at the price of the TV than BB, was way too high of the protection plan although CC offered unlimited power surge protection, no-lemon guarantee (I'm sure there's plenty of fine print), and free product repair/replacement (also plenty of fine print). But I bought it so no use complaining!

Username: Dennis44

San Diego, CA

I just purchased the Sony 50" Wega LCD. I notice that people recommend a UPS for this. There are numerous ones available (anywhere from $40-$Helluvalotta) so if anyone can recommend what I need to provide protection for the bulb shutdown, I'd appreciate it.

Bronze Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 30
Dennis
For your TV, get a UPS with at least 500 VA. The way that the UPS companies tell you to figure it is to take the wattage consumption (from your TV's owners manual) and multiply that number by 2. Personally I have an 1100 VA that I bought from Costco for 100 bucks. That way, I can have my DVD player plugged into it also. It also has AVR (automatic voltage regulation) which ensures a steady stream of current, and eliminates sags and surges. The unit also has 5 outlets for surge protection only, which I plug my receiver and other components into.

San Diego, CA

Thanks HD. I picked up a 550VA UPS for $60. I already owned a good surge surpressor so I'll just usethe UPS for the TV. I got my HDDVR box yesterday and it came with a HDMI socket so I was pretty pleased. The picture looked great -- I can hardly wait for football season.

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 98
Question:
I have a fairly top of the line Monster Power Center (HTS1000), which is a very expensive surge suppressor (around $135.00). I do have a Belkin UPS for my computer and I did ask this question when I purchased the TV and Home Theater Sysytem etc in March. I realize that my fancy shmancy power center won't help in brown outs or black outs whereas a UPS will. If I buy a UPS, can I just plug the power center into the UPS???The Monster Power Center manual states:

The POWERCENTER's exclusive Clean Power Stage 2v2.0 filter circuitry virtually stops the noise that goes right through typical surge protectors. Two isolated filters, optimized for audio and video, provide excellent AC power line noise rejection and isolation of audio equipment from video equipment for improved component generated noise rejection."

OK, so that's what I paid $134.99 for. So can I use this and a UPS?
Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 76
Your UPS is rated for "x" amount of current draw to last "x" amount of time. If you exceed the current draw you can damage the UPS and the time factor goes out the window. The trick is to be around when the outage occurs, the point being to power down each device on the Power Center strip and allow the cooling fan to bring down the lamp heat. If you intend to use a small UPS, then you need to be around to shut things off. Of course, if you spend the big bucks, you can keep watching a sat feed or off-air until the power comes back on.

Bronze Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 99
I just need a UPS to be connected so that I can power off my equipment and let the lamp cooling fan complete its cool-down cycle,

Unregistered guest
Only put the TV set on the UPS (to save the bulb from overheating)...a 350VA unit for about $50 at Office Depot will be fine

Bronze Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 83
He wants the benefit of his HTS1000 too.

As long as he's around to shut things off he can plug the HTS1000 into the UPS.

My HTS2000 is plugged into a Belkin 400VA and I've had two power outages with perfect results.

Silver Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 102
Thanks FYI and that is what I shall do becasue I want the "clean power" of the Monster surge supressor as well as the UPS. My TV is only on when I'm watching it so all I need is a UPS to run for a few minutes to let the fan cool the lamp.
I saw Belkin's very top of the line surge supressors/UPS combos in the HD section of Best Buy and they are $500-$700. How ridiculous! My MonsterPowercenter is protecting the Grand Wega, a Sony HT-6800DP Home Theater, a set-top box and an extra DVD player. Any suggestions on how big a UPS I need based on what I have described?? Thanks!

HD Freak
Unregistered guest
Can someone here answer me a question?
Should I set my box at 720p or 1080i for this set?
Do I get more pixels at scaling 1080i to 768p or am I making the set perform extra work converting interlaced scanning to 768 progressive?
Am I also messing with the scan rate of the TV, in other words, at 768p is the set 60 frames progressive and I'm pumping 30 into it if I keep it in 1080i?

San Diego, CA

I've got the Belkin PureAV isolator for my surge protection and power filter, and a Cyberpower 550VA UPS. I use the UPS only for the TV since it's the only component that I have that has a cooling fan. I just plugged the UPS into the TV port of the surge strip and the TV into the UPS.

Silver Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 103
HD Freak:
I noticed setting my set top box to 720p caused too much upscaling and an inferior picture. At the set top box setting of 1080i, the picture is much better.
Steve

Silver Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 104
Dennis,
Thanks for the tip. I will look into the CyberPower 550VA and do what you did. That way I get the clean current through the Monster Powercenter and the battery back-up of the TV at the same time.
Steve

Sole
Unregistered guest
I been hearing conflicting stories, if you have a 768p set, I'm hearing that if you keep your set top at 1080i, your set scales 1080 lines to a true 768p in contrast to having 720 go into it and it doubling certain lines to make up the 48.
The set was made to scale all signals to 768, I don't think the set is going to lose picture quality if it scales 1080i rather than 720, that has not been proven as far as I know, these sets were made to do that scaling work, it's configured to scale the CBS 1080 signal with the sets OTA HD tunner.
I noticed better resolution keeping it at 1080. Since 1080i has more pixels, your set is scaling all those pixels to a 768p format.
Pump as many pixels into the 768 set, 1080i has more pixels.

Silver Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 105
Sole, I agree. My experience has been setting the set converter box at 720p does not display as good a picture as leaving the set top box at 1080i.

Unregistered guest
you guys need to stop nit picking every little operational detail and take time to just enjoy the programs!....Sheeeeze

Anonymous

I just bought a floor model 42" WE655 and predict the bulb will not last long since the TV was probably on non-stop business hours for however long it was a floor model. I would like to buy a replacement bulb before the one in it burns out. I live just outside Houston, Tx. Does anyone know where I can go to buy a replacement bulb? If nowhere, please tell me where to order one from. Thank you.

Bronze Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 32
Here's a reputable link where you can buy a bulb for your TV. Yours takes the 100 watt bulb, (2100U) and it's $189 for a limited time. Normally they run about $200. I have seen them a little bit cheaper at some other sites, but you have to be careful who you purchase through because I have heard of some people getting bulbs that do not work. This place has been around a while and they sale OEM replacements...

Bronze Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 33
I guess it would help to give you the link. Sorry, it's been a long day;)

http://www.ercservice.com/lamps/sonylamps/XL2100U.html

Silver Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 106
What's the difference betwen the XL2100 and the XL2100U? I purchased an extra one from Sony Style and it is the XL2100.

(I do have lamp replacement in my extended warranty but when the bulb blows, I have to send it in and then wait for the replacement so I figured I'd keep a spare to pop in when this happens).

Anyhow, I was curious about the difference.

Silver Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 107
What's the difference betwen the XL2100 and the XL2100U? I purchased an extra one from Sony Style and it is the XL2100.

(I do have lamp replacement in my extended warranty but when the bulb blows, I have to send it in and then wait for the replacement so I figured I'd keep a spare to pop in when this happens).

Anyhow, I was curious about the difference.

Sole
Unregistered guest
Steve,
What do you make of this about the 768 format?
Having a little bit of a debate with someone over the 768 format, to me it seemed as though there had to be a reason why all these TV's picked 768, Sony, Sharp, Toshiba, etc.
Then, I came across people saying that it takes at least 1280x768 to display 720p, then I came across this

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/...p-lc37hv6u.html
it says

"The 1366 x 768 native resolution means that no additional scaling or conversion is needed for widescreen images, resulting in crystal-clear 16:9 images with no digital artifacts.
Wide XGA (1366 x 768) Resolution
displays HDTV program images in 720p, true 16:9, and is compatible with off-air (terrestrial), cable and satellite HDTV broadcasts (separate HDTV tuner/decoder required to display HDTV broadcasts)."

Someone is saying that both these statements are wrong. But when I read this, is makes sense why all these companies chose 768.

Silver Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 108
I have no clue about 768 vs. 720. The new model Grand Wegas (42" and 50" only) are 1280 x 720. The 55" and 60" remain at the 1366 x 768. The whole thing is confusing. A Sony "tech" even told me that the KDF-50WE655 has a native resolution of 1080i!

Sole
Unregistered guest
Oh OK,
It wasn't so much about Wegas it was more about 768 sets in general, what I was getting at though was... one person said that a 768 set up scales a 720p Widescreen signal, but according to the quote I posted, it sounded as though a widescreen 720 signal has to be scaled somewhat on some TV's but not on a 768 set, that is why I figured 768 was chosen for a reason, so according to that quote, it seems as though there was no scaling of 720p widescreen going into any 768 set, that why it sounded resonable why that number 768 what chosen, if you find that out let me know.
Thanks.

Silver Member

N, E, PA USA

Post Number: 109
I pasted this from a description of a Sony 55" from Sony Style:

"The KDF-E55A20 delivers natural color reproduction and exceptional brightness levels due to 3LCD technology with 1366 x 768 screen resolution, which is more than a native 720p capability."

Still a bit confusing. My KDF50-WE655 has the same resolution.

Bronze Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 34
Steve, the XL2100 and XL2100U bulbs are exactly the same. They just labeled them differently. The U stands for UHP, which they all are (Ultra High Pressure).

As far as the 768 resolution question, I read an article awhile back about the reason why Sony and a handful of other manufacturers went with this resolution was due to the way that the data is sent. The data from the incoming signal is sent in packets. These packets consist of a specific # of bytes. The total amount of data sent ends up being more than what the 720P signal needs, and it ends up coming out very close to 768P. Therefore, in theory the 768 resolution takes full advantage of the signal. However, sometimes data packets get lost or the data becomes unuseable due to interference. When this happens, the bad data gets thrown out, and the TV scales accordingly anyway.

The article I read had the specific # of bytes per packet, but it was a while ago, and I can't remember the specifics. I'll look around for it when I get time and post more info if you are interested.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us