PC DVI to Plasma HDMI

Username: Jaybee

Post Number: 1
We wish to take DVI output from PC Video Card, connect it to the HDMI input on a pioneer digital box then output to 50" pioneer plasma. First attempts using a generic DVI to HDMI cable have failed miserably. Any suggestions

Anonymous

Tried it this past weekend with a Panasonic plasma. It doesn't work very well.

Use your TV's PC input with DVI or RGB.

Connecting a computer using HDMI is basically the same thing as connecting it through a yellow composite (RCA) cable.

The TV does not seem to be able to grab the sync information from the computer. In other words, the computer will just detect no monitor, and won't let you change resolution from 640x480 or 800x600.

-- Elias

netvigators
Unregistered guest
I tried dvi-to-hdmi cable on my sony plamas too, and it doesn't grab the sync from the PC. The PC video resolution didn't allow me to change to higher res.

Is it common issue with everyone? or we need to setup a custom monitor setting from the PC?

qwmnco
Unregistered guest
I use the DVI to HDMI cable for my 50" pionner plasma. It will only recognize 1280X720 and 1920X1080. Looks beautiful except you lose a little picture at the top and bottom of the screen.

Anonymous

I've been trying for days on end to get a Dell Dimension 8400 Multimedia Center PC to display the desktop and slidewhows on a Panasonic LCD TV model TC-32LX20 using an ATI Radeon X300 video card. It's been a nightmare of trying to get Dell, ATI or Panasonic to tell me if it will or won't work. Half of the reps say it will work, the other half say it won't. I have a DVI/HDMI cable and if I connect it while both the PC and TV are on, it sort of works and you can see a mostly good image on the TV (except for some jitter and lost content off the edge). But then if you move the mouse on the PC, the PC screen gets totally hosed and you have to uninstall the ATI driver and reinstall it. I was told today by Dell that Panasonic needs to supply a driver. But then Panasonic told me today that it should work perfectly fine without a driver and that ATI is at fault.

Unregistered guest
I have heard before (and I have done this myself) that you can load almost any monitor driver, as long as it supports the resolutions you intend to use. For instance, I installed the driver for a Sony WD..... monitor to use on my old mitsubishi RP EDTV and it works. Overscan is a fact of life pretty much with PC to TV connections. Software called "powerstrip" allows you to create custom resolutions for fine-tuning your PC's display to fit your TV. Hope this helps.

okthisshould wrork
Unregistered guest
I have a panasonic 52" Big screen i have a dell XPS with a radeon 9800 pro. I use a dvi to hdmi cable and i get awesome pictures on my big screen infact i use it to play all my games and surf the internet. I am using it wright now. I used ATI control center to get it all working together.

Yam
Unregistered guest
Hi, I connect my Radeon 9550 to 37"LCDTV, but I can only get picture before it enters windows. Can somebody tell me how to make it works?
Also, I found that if I uninstall the radeon driver and just use XP's generic driver, I can get it works but the performance are not that good when using generic driver.

Username: Joker0225

"I have a panasonic 52" Big screen i have a dell XPS with a radeon 9800 pro. I use a dvi to hdmi cable and i get awesome pictures on my big screen infact i use it to play all my games and surf the internet. I am using it wright now. I used ATI control center to get it all working together."

We just got a 46" ony HDTV rear projection screen. I had the BFG nVidia 6600 GT and used the DVI-HDMI cable and it was a great picture quality; however, a friend of mine got the ATI Radeon X800 Pro and suggested I use that. I am new to ATI and would like to know how to set it all up using the ATI control center.

Unregistered guest
I have a lg 42 inch plasma that has a dvi connection, my pc is quite high specced with dvi out on the graphics card, if i fit a pci tv card with my sky box into the card via s video or composite or anologue do you think thquality of the output to the screen is worth the trouble, i want to use the pc as a media centre.

Michael Goyette
Unregistered guest
okthisshouldwork,

Specifically which DVI-HDMI cable are you using?

Thanks,
Michael

Unregistered guest
can I hook a pc to panasonic th42pd50 plasma tv via s-video to display a slide show. the plasma tv is edtv native resolution 852x480. my computer has a fx5200 grphic care with tv-out and dvi.

Anonymous

I just bought a Pioneer plasma 5040. First, the damn PC input is in the front of media box...hello...stupid designers. Anyways, the old computer I'm using as the media center is only providing me 1024x768 resolution. Is this b/c of my video/graphics card? Should I upgrade to above mentioned cards? Also, will the DVI-HDMI conversion work?

SpeedFreak259
Unregistered guest
I think the reason the PC input is on the front is to discourage you from using the PC input all the time. The Pioneer site says it allows for intermitent connection of a PC - maybe they're worried about image burn.

I'm trying to connect my Media Center PC to my Pioneer 506 Plasma with HDMI and I'm have some trouble too....

I've tried two cards in my media centre PC an ATI Redeon 9600 with a DVD-D to HDMI cable and a Radeon 9800 Pro. The Pioneer panel won't accept an HDMI signal that doesn't contain the HDCP (copy protection) information. The Radeon 9600 doesn't appear to include this information so the panel doesn't display anything.

The 9800Pro does include HDCP so I get a picture but when I set the screen size to 1280x768 it switched to a 50Hz interlaced image and the plasma only renders the image in the middle of the screen with huge black borders around it.

Everything works OK if I use the 15Pin D connector on the front of the media box with a full progressive scan image (although it's a little analog for my liking :-)

Has anybody managed to get a full size HDMI image on a Pioneer plasma from a PC?

denniswaugh
Unregistered guest
I have a Pioneer 434HDE.
Buggered about for many many months with ATI9600 Pro trying to get DVI over HDMI to work with no success.

Purchased a cheap fanless Nvidia 5200 (Inno 3D) for my sons pc and thought I'd give it a try in my HTPC. Straight out the box worked first time (DVI to HDMI). Post screen displays fine then windows splash screen.

Use overscan compensation (5%) and WOW, fantastic image.

Tried a XForce 6200 but could not get it to display over HDMI.

I then changed to a fanless Gigabyte 6800 with heatpipe. Fantastic, everything working again.

I don't know exactly what the problem was with my ATI9600pr or the 6200.

Hope this helps

denniswaugh

stegve
Unregistered guest
I have tried to connect a Geforce 7800 DVI out to a JVC LT32BS6 LCD HDMI with random results. At the moment it doesnt display at all , although I reinstalled the latest drivers. Thinking about trying older drivers now but not hopeful, the image was cutting out and trying to resize itself or something. What are these specific tv drivers you have been talking about?

Unregistered guest
I have a Pioneer PDP5040 (50") that simply won't sync/work/display when using a GEForce FX5200 Card. I am using a high-quality, low-loss HDMI cable and an HDMI-to-DVI converter at the PC. Repeated calls to Pioneer netted the same thing: "We're not sure you can use the HDMI cable for this purpose. Please use the DVI cable." Well, simply put...I can't. The conduit is too small. HDMI fits; DVI doesn't.

I am going to try the NVIDIA 5200 (Inno 3D) and Gigabyte 6800 cards to see of either will do the trick. Research hints that 2 possible problems can occur. Either the signal is too weak to pass on, or the sync needs to see the HDCP (Copy Protection) signal before it syncs in. This concerns me. I'll re-post when I find out what works.

RoJ
Unregistered guest
I have the Panasonic TH37PV500 (HD) - Currently hooked up to the pc via S-Video, which works ok.
I was going to buy a 5M vga cable to get a better signal, but then noticed DVI to HDMI cables.
After reading about everybodys troubles with DVI-HDMI, im concerned about buying the cable, and might just get the VGA instead.
Currently only have a Radeon9200se (cheap crap) in the 'Media/Server' PC.
Anybody reckon its worth getting a DVI-HDMI cable for this set up ?

Username: Tenettech

Post Number: 8
I don't know why HDMI even comes out when it's not even working properly for everything. They say hdmi is backward compatible with dvi, my dvi connection on my pc works fine why doesn't my hdmi plasma tv except higer resolution than 640x480 from the PC. We can conclude here that hdmi is not backward compatible.

And I thought that if the source (PC in my case) doesn't have HDCP then the hdcp enabled display will display the signal from the PC anyway. So the source having no HDCP shouldn't be a problem for a hdcp enabled display. If the source has hdcp and the display doesn't then I'd understand why it's not displaying properly. I tell you...the entertainment industry is just a bunch of a**holes crippling our hardware like it's their own money that bought it. Keep your old hardwarez, one day all the equipment we own will have restrictions so that the only freedom we have is to revert back to the old ways.

Username: Efullerton

I am trying to get an HDMI/DVI connection to work from my PC to a JVC HD-ILA "LCoS" display. Using a DVI cable attached to the dvi input on the Radeon X300 in my Dell, via a DVI/HDMI converter to the display. There is a picture, but as some previous posters reported, the picture is slightly distorted and seems to lose sync every few seconds, blinking in and out. Many different resolutions and refresh rates have been tried.

I can't find a satisfactory answer for why this would be happening. I have considered purchasing another video card but don't really know if that is the problem or not. Any help would be appreciated.

Skint Now
Unregistered guest
I have a wonderful new Pioneer PDP436XDE plasma, which is fab, and I bought an extremely expensive top-spec Evesham eBox Media Centre to go with it, the lot cost me 5 grand, and the results from the eBox are dissapointing. The engineer who came to deliver and install my new PC had no idea how to set the thing up and the Evesham help/support has been useless and borderline rude. The Pioneer plasma is great, and Pioneer's helpline are much better informed. They explained that the HDMI input is not configured to take input from a PC, they suggested that using the dedicated PC VGA input was the best option. I am having trouble getting the aspect ratio right, but reading the comments on this site, and a site I found in Australia - www.xpmediacentre.com.au - should help, I'll try these things out tonight and see what happens. In short, the Evesham eBox is supposed to be one of the best MCE PC's on the market, but the quality of the display falls far short of what the plasma screen is capable of, so I will probably end up buying a new amp and DVD player anyway, which kind of negates the "single box" idea behind MCE, which is a shame. Any further good advice on setting the aspect ratio between my PC and my plasma much appreciated, cheers.

Username: Vectorzero

Hurst, Berkshire United Kingdom

I have got a Media Center PC working with the Pioneer PDP-434HDE machine. I use a high quality DVI to HDMI cable, and an ATI Radeon 9250 card, as its got good Windows MCE driver support from ATI.

I set the display to 1280*720 to mimic 720p, and the Pioneer locks onto this once windows has fully booted.

You will get aspect ratio issues with the VGA port, as the actual panel resolution of the Pionner is 1024 * 768 (non square pixels). This doesn't happen on the 50" as it has a native panel resolution of 1280 * 768 (square pixels).

One other point to note is that the HDMI input is not enabled by default in the early Pioneers. It also doesn't appear as a menu option unless you set the input to one which supports HDMI. Had me confused for a few hours.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us