Directv dvr to dvd recorder

Username: Swyman

Post Number: 1
Can I burn a dvd by connecting a dvd burner to my directv tivo? I want to be able to press the "record to vcr " command on the tivo and connect the dvd burner instead of the vcr. I have received mixed advice regarding signal decoding an whether this will work.
In theory it should because there is a dvr on the market which has a built in dvd burner..
Any comments will be appreciated.

Username: Fredr

Germantown, TN United States

Not sure if there is a direct solution to your question, but there are several products from EyeTV (Mac compatible solutions) at http://www.elgato.com that will accomplish your task. The EyeTV systems stream the didital video from your "SAT out" on your DVR, through the connected EyeTV unit and then from the EyeTV unit, by firewire conection, directly to your computer's hard drive. You then burn a DVD of the imported digital video. There must be some solutions on the market for PCs also, but I am not aware of any. Hope this gives you a start.
Fred

Unregistered guest
I have tried this method with mixed results. In theory, we should be able to use the record to VCR function on the Direct TV DVR menu, and have it go to a DVD Recorder. In my experience over the last couple of days, I have not been able to finish a recording from a program that had been stored on the Tivo DVR. I get part way through and the whole thing freezes up on me. The only way to fix this is to unplug (off button does not work while system is frozen) the DVD Recorder and then the Tivo program resumes playing again. The DVD in the DVD recorder sometimes has not recorded the program I have requested, and sometimes it does, but only part of it. As far as I know there is no copyright on this program, or else the DVD Recorder would display a message. I have tried this with DVD-R and DVD Ram discs and they still do not work. I have tried unplugging the phone line from the Direct TV DVR (Tivo) while recording thinking that there may be a phone line conflict of some sort, but this also did not solve the issue. I have the Toshiba Combo DVD Recorder/ VCR, and the Phillips DVR from Direct TV. Customer service at Direct TV sai it can be done but they do not support this with their customer service.

DOes anybody have any ideas??

Would like to be able to:
1.)dub from old VHS to DVD.
2.) Dub from Direct TV DVR to DVD Recorder
3.) record live tv directly to DVD Recorder.

bluefangs
Unregistered guest
Yes you can connect the dvd recorder to the tivo, I did it today! I used the s-video connect from the TV to the DVD recorder, than take the RCA connectors that are plugged into the hughes Tivo and disconnect them. Reconnect them in the RCA Output terminals on the DVD Recorder! I then took the RCA wires that came with my DVD recorder and plugged them in the Input terminals of the DVD recorder and plugged the other ends into the output terminals of the Tivo! It WORKS! I've recorded my first FULL movie that was saved on the Tivo! The only thing, (and that's why I came here looking for answers) is, the video button on the DVD Recorder will not work, so I have to use my orginal remote that came with the TV to switch back and forth from the tv/video button. I was wondering why this will not work if anybody out there knows, please send feedback. Also when you turn your DVD recorder off, that is when you need to switch the video input button on the remote to the off position to get back to regular TV, if you don't, you'll have a blank screen. Other than that, it works fine for recording. To record movies from Tivo, I just click the record to VCR now button, and hit record buttom on the DVD recorder! and that's it. good luck, hope this helps!

Hazelnut
Unregistered guest
I've recorded many DVD's right from my DirectV DVR. I have the Philips DSR 708 DVR and the Philips DVDR 77 recorder. It's +R/+RW and I use the +R all the time. Never had any problem or the need for any special wiring. I use the S-Video connection to the television and use the RCA Composite outputs to the DVDR. I hit "record to vcr" and it works flawlessly.

No problems at all. I wish there was another S-video connection on the Directv DVR - but other than that - no complaints. Very easy. The DVDR has to also be directly connected to the TV too, but I have multiple inputs on my TV so this isn't an issue.

LaurieE
Unregistered guest
Y'all gave me the answers I needed--thank you! I will try the Phillips DVDR 77. Neither of the two DVD Recorders we've tried record a clear picture, even with a component connection. The one I'm returning is LiteOn. I can't remember the name of the first brand.

Hazelnut, Radio Shack is bound to have a splitter or device to provide multiple S-video connections.

Anonymous

My phillips DVR is about 3 yrs old and they now appears shadowing whenever I have live TV on. I have disconected the DVR and it disappears. I have reset the system once and it seemed to help for abour 3 months but did not work when I tried to do it this time.

Thomasgroup
Unregistered guest
How can I record to VHS a program that I have previously recorded on my DVR?

Debra B.
Unregistered guest
Wow... bluefangs, I lost you halfway through. I know computers, but always have to think more when connecting TV/audio stuff. I have everything working and now want to see about copying from the DVR to my PC (and then use my DVD burner). I have a DirecTV DVR, an all-in one DVD player and home theatre system, a new-ish TV (with composite and s-video input) and a VCR. I can record from the DVR to the VCR just fine using the yellow/red/white connector wires.

I was hoping for a fairly straight-forward explanation of what I need on my PC to take output from my DVR (I wish I had one of the network capable ones!) and details on how to connect it - is there something that could take what I have plugged into my VCR and then all I have to do is move those wires I think that would be easiest - I just don't know if that's possible!

And, optionally, is there an additional step that would allow me to not need a direct physical connection? My PC and DVR are in opposite ends of the house. I do have a wireless network at home already.

Debra B.
Unregistered guest
Regarding recording to VHS - if you can connect the output from your DVR to the input on your VHS (my DirecTV DVR has two outputs and I have one going to my theatre system which then goes to my TV and the other is going to my VCR), it's easy.

The key thing that wasn't intuitive to me is that if you use the RCA connectors (the red/white/yellow wires) into your VCR, you need to change the input your VCR is reading from. By default it is looking for input on channel 3 or 4. You need to figure out how to change your VCR to accept "line input". For mine, I found the info in the explantion for connecting 2 VCRs together. Strange place, I know, but that's where mine was. There was also some help in the explanation for connecting my video camera to my VCR. But, now my VCR can take the "save to VCR" output from my DVR or it will record what I'm watching too.

TP
Unregistered guest
Like Debra B., I would like to know how to burn a recorded DVR program to a DVD on my PC. There is a USB connection for both the DVR and PC.

Unregistered guest
Let's take this one step further. Does anybody know if there is a Directv w/ Tivo (DVR) that has a DVD recorder built in? I found a Tivo / DVD Recorder at Bestbuy.com, but it's not a Directv reciever. Has anyone seen one of these?

Humax - TiVo Series2 DVR/DVD-R/RW Recorder Combo - DRT800

Drucifer
Unregistered guest
Debra B - I've done this myself. Here are two options.

1. If you have a MiniDV or Digital8 video camera, simply run the RCA outs from the TiVO to the camera's RCA "in", then connect the camera via fire-wire to the PC and capture using any number of products (Sonic's MyDVD, ULead Studio etc.)

2. The Adeptec VideOH! converters. You can find this equipment at any CompUSA, Best Buy etc. This small unit wlll convert any analog source to digital output. (and can take the S-Video, too) and connect via USB2.0 to the PC.

You can capture as AVI or Mpeg2 - or DV format. Depending on software, you can burn directly to DVD. I've done both - both work fine. Just keep in mind, if you take two hours of AVI, it is about 25 gig of data... take the same as MPEG2 and it is about 7 gig.

Most recently, for less than $140.00 I bought a DVD burner, connected it to component out and have burned 25 or so DVDs - everything from broad cast TV to movies.
D

JessB68
Unregistered guest
I also have a question regarding this: If I am able to get my Directv DVR to "record to vcr" to work with my DVD Recorder, do I have to be watching the program while it's recording? Or is there a "faster" transfer of the program? I have several hours worth of recordings. And would hate to sit through each one while it records.

Unregistered guest
I too am having problems finding a way to record to DVD recorder with DirecTV DVR. At Best Buy they have NO DVD recorder options on DirecTV equipment. The salesman I talked with said that the TIVO combo units only work with cable. I then called DirectTv Customer Service and asked them what I needed to do in order to record directly from the DVR to a DVD recorder as TIVO can do when have cable. The answer was blunt and to the point. "We just don't do that!" That was the gist of the conversation, although she did say that they might have something coming but had no idea when - I think that was just a move to placate me.

I can't believe DirecTv is being so consumer market stupid. They are shooting themselves in the foot by not offering what us and a lot of other people are wanting. Oh well, maybe they'll wake up before someone else comes in and steals their customers.

Please if anyone comes up with a good way to go from the DVR to DVD without having to use the VCR jacks I would be eternally grateful. I understand that doing that requires converting the program data from digital to analog and back to digital for the DVD recording which degrades the quality of the DVD.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
" I understand that doing that requires converting the program data from digital to analog and back to digital for the DVD recording which degrades the quality of the DVD.

Perhaps you didn't know that all DVD recorders take an analog input and then convert it to 480i to record on the DVD. In other words no DVD recorders today accept a digital input signal to record a DVD.

Maybe D-TV isn't so bad after all huh?

xvxvxvx

willingear
Unregistered guest
We have had a couple Panasonic DMR-T3040 DVD recorders for a few of years now, and they have firewire inputs... as well as the regular analog inputes. We use it to take our (digital) DVCAM tapes and (digitally) record them to DVD for archive.

Unregistered guest
What we're all looking for, and I have not found yet, is a way to get something from the DirecTiVO
to a DVD without converting it to analog ANYWHERE in the process. The original is in digital format, and a DVD that I burn on my computer or DVD burner is in digital format. Yes you can use the S-video output and make a recording, but if you do an A-B comparison (start both playing both back at the same time and switch back and forth) you WILL see some loss. I don't want to delete anything from my way-too-full 35 hour DirecTV/TIVO unit until I can have a copy that is compleltely loss-less. (i.e. digital at every step). Looking like too much to ask right now without opening up the box, yanking the harddisk(s), and learning a lot more Linux than I ever want to have to. Someone prove me wrong? (please) JD in Colorado

formerly xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"Someone prove me wrong?"

Can't, you are correct and always will be. I am assuming the TIVO has no firewire output. In case it did you could purchase a DVHS reacorder.

xvxvxvx

twhizzer
Unregistered guest
Check out this link. http://www.weaknees.com/tivo_dvd_faq.php

Basically it says: If you have DirecTV and are looking for a TiVo that can also burn to DVD, then you have a tough decision. On one hand, you can purchase a DirecTV/TiVo unit and a separate DVD recorder without TiVo. Alternatively, you can purchase a TiVo DVD combo and use it with a separate DirecTV receiver.

I think the Humax unit you are referring to KNI is just the standalone device so you will have to buy another lifetime subscription if you purchase this unit (at least that is what I'm trying to confirm).

blackcomputer
Unregistered guest
what is so hard? you dont need to be concerned with the "record to VCR" function. all you need to do is playback whatever you wan tto record and then hit record on your dvd recorder and sit through it in real time. Boom, there's your copy. Composite or S-video out from DVR to Composite or S-Video In to the recorder. you're set.

Anonymous

"""Composite or S-video out from DVR to Composite or S-Video In to the recorder. you're set."""
It actually wasn't QUITE that simple - when I have an HDTV, DVDR, DVR, VCR, CD and RCVR all hooked up together. I guess its a matter of trial and error, what to plug into where to get it to work. Thank goodness for +RW DVDs to try and try again. But otherwise, once connected, yeah just it record for whatever your watching, or play whatever is on your DVR then hit record on your DVDR. Just wish I didn't have so many wires connected. The problem I had was keeping my VCR connected as well to my DVDR, so I didn't have to keep switching wires when I wanted to record from VCR to DVDR or DVR to DVDR.

XxXhussyXxX
Unregistered guest
i currently have a directv dvr and just recently purchased a laptop with a dvd burner. How can i connect the systems to burn to a dvd?? Do i need a computer program to allow he system to burn? i'm new @ this, and i guess i would just like to know how to start this? can anyone help? I have my dvr connected with s video, and my laptop has s video imputs

Anonymous

I can't use TiVOToGo so that isn't an option.
But there is a USB on both my PC & MAC (which have DVD burners), and there is a USB on the Philips tivo DVR. So can I just somehow connect the DVR to my PC or Mac? I would like to not have to buy anything else because it seems like this would work.

Username: Dintymoore

Can I capture off Direct TV Tivo unit with Dazzle or some other video capture card?
or
TurtleBeach Video Advantage PCI Video Capture

Jeff Collins
Unregistered guest
I have Directv tivo made by Samsung(model sir-s4080r)and want to record onto dvds programs I have recored on my dvr. Is this possible? My dvr has 2 USB ports. Not sure what they are used for. Havent bought dvd recorder yet cause I didnt know if it would work the way I wanted it to. Anyone with info on USB port uses or relevant info please respond!! Thanks Jeff

Username: Blueshy

Post Number: 2
I have my DirectTV hooked up to my DVD recorder and I have no trouble recording programs but I can only play them back on my DVD recorder. I'm not able to play the DVD on my portable DVD device or on my computer. Anyone else having this problem? Any ideas around it?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1371
Are you finalizing the discs?

Szechuan Duck
Unregistered guest
Correct me if im wrong, but the USB and Network jacks on the Tivo/DVR boxes arent active unless fully hacked and even so, last I looked they cant be used to transfer data so for anyone asking that, do a google search and maybe you can find more useful information for us. Otherwise, they are unusable.

Username: Pinzpilot

OK, if I understand correctly, burning a DVD from a DVR is done ideally via the S-Video output from the DVR to the S-Video input on the DVD recorder. But, from what I believe I've learned here, there will be a conversion to analog along the way. Is this correct?

I am wanting to record the digital music that is available on the music channels(Dish Network)onto DVD's so that I can play them while traveling, etc. So, before I make the investment into a DVR and a DVD Recorder, can this be done without any problems?? And, if there is an analog conversion in the process, would the audio(music quality) suffer noticeably?

Bronze Member
Username: Daveh1010101

Ohio USA

Post Number: 13
Maybe good info for someone trying to go from there DVR to DVD

I have not followed the DVR hacking for over a year. I hacked all of mine, adding larger hard drives ever so often to increase storage. Plus there are a few benifits like NO ADS!, multiple scheduling playback and NO SCRAMBLE!!

You CAN add a eithernet network adaptor and transfer the recorded shows to your computer via eithernet. As I said before I never kept up on it, but I am sure there has been much progress in the past year and a half. I do have network cards in my tivo but never have followed thru with it.

The forums I followed *eal*ataBase many people loved being able to go digital to digital to dvd, instead of digital to analog and back to digital.

If anyone is interested please look above and go to that forum for more info.

I hope this answers someone questions.

Anonymous

I recorded a bunch of movies from the tv and want to record them onto a DVD. I have a dvd recorder and tried to record - recorded just scrambled fuzz- is this because it was a movie channel- are they all scrambled how do I go around that????

Anonymous

Many of channels especially Live and Pay-per-View are protected. You have to use Dimax product to filter it. At least this is what I'm using with my Sony RDR HX300 and it works just fine.

Username: Miket978

ok...one more time...for us simple stupid people.
I have a hughes/Directtv Tivo. I want to transfer some of my programs to dvd. I'd like to use the dvdburner on my pc. I'd like to burn it in true dvd format...ie not mpeg, or any other format. Is this possible? From what I hear so far...no?

Username: Cadolfan

I have a Phillips Tivo Dirctv DVR reciever. I want to burn a copy of my Tivo'd programs to my external DVD burner. It sounds as though I can do this? Where do I get detailed instructions?

debbiemendez
Unregistered guest
How do I connect a dvd recorder to my dvr box ? Help please.

Unregistered guest
HELP! I've been trying for 2 days to record stuff from my DirecTV Tivo HD-DVR to my DVD recorder. Can someone talk to me in non-technical terms or tell me where I can get a diagram for connections? I have a Sony HD TV. I'm about to throw everything out the window. I also just learned from DirecTV that there is a problem with the HDMI cable. Mine stopped working and I was told to use component cables instead. I'm not very happy.

Bronze Member

Ohio USA

Post Number: 14
CP:
I didnt think there were any options other than composite inputs for most all dvd recorders. Other than adding an composite video amplifier/splitter which will help the video quality SOME.

Are the cables bad? Try a NEW cable to make sure. or is it the HDTivo DVR (the outputs)?

If its the HDTivo (I wouldnt keep something that doesnt work 100%) I would call DTV and ask for CUSTOMER RETENTION, let them know the issues and how disgusted you are with dtv's customer service and lack of expertece along with the disconnects, voice prompts that go in circles only to be transfered and disconnected again. Tell them your fed up and unless you get a REPLACEMENT HDTIVO at no more expence to you (other than maybe shipping) YOU WILL BE CALLING DISH NETWORK when you hang up.

I am pretty sure THAT WILL get there attention

Hope I have been of some help.
Dave

AM-VA
Unregistered guest
Ok, I've got a laptop PC with an ethernet port, 3 usb 2.0 ports, an s-video port and a dvd burner...I also have a Motorola Dual tuner DVR/HDTV capable with ethernet, usb, and s-video connection. I want to transfer recorded shows and movies to my PC, to burn them on DVDs. I've tried the USB 2.0 linking cable, and an ethernet cable, and my computer didn't recognize the DVR. I also have a HDTV capable TV with an s-video port. Do I have to hack into the DVR somehow to get the ports to transfer data or should I get an s-video cable? And if I get the s-video cable, do I hook it up to the TV or DVR? Is there anything else I have to do?

Billy N
Unregistered guest
I have a time warner digital cable dvr and a laptop with a dvd burner. Has anyone been able to transfer programs to dvd??? And if so, how??? Any special type of software needed???

Unregistered guest
I'm getting ready to purchase a new Sony Bravia HDTV, along with upgrading my Surround Sound to 7.1 Dolby. I, like others, want to archive TiVo programs to make room by burning them to a DVD burner. Read all the messages, and what I take away is this: "use the S-Video connection to the television and use the RCA Composite outputs to the DVDR". Hopefully this will work because my wall unit is hard to get to, and I want everything hooked up correctly from the start! The Comcast tech checking my line said that it can be done, but a Fire Wire connection is necessary...

FYI: I've been a DirecTV subscriber for about 6 years, but they want me to BUY a $500 HDTV box, whereas with Comcast, I rent it for $10 bucks a month, plus get the local channels in HD without having to add an outside antennae. If anybody has any NEW updates on recording from an HDTV DVR direct to DVD (without having to change any wiring each time) it would be very helpful. If you want to upgrade to new technology, shouldn't it be much easier than this? Maybe I should wait until a High-Definition DVD Recorder is available on the market...!

mr. tech2001
Unregistered guest
what you do is use the wireless usb adapter to put on a wireless network then copy to computer and use dvd-r

i am a tech at circuit city

Bronze Member

Ohio USA

Post Number: 15
My suggestions are to STAY with the DirecTivos, there "new" in house dvr is a piece of J U N K.

If your used to DUAL tuners then then the "new dtv dvr has access to only 1 tuner. Its very sad. Better by a DirecTivo now befor ethere gone for good, our only hope is that dtvs new dvr fails miserably and they return to tivo. Rare but it could happen, especially when they decide to "shaft" there customers and force them to buy the new dtv dvr. THEN the customer gets it and sees they have even less features then before. The crap will hit the fan.

ANYONE can hack/upgrade the DirecTivo to current StandAlone Tivo standards. INCLUDING Home Media Option, increase recording time (up to hundreds & hundreds of hours) and even transfer there recordings to there computer (pc & mac) and archive them on dvd for later viewing.

Hope this helps someone out there.
D

Bronze Member

Ohio USA

Post Number: 16
Testing 1-2-3

IF you have been a subscriber for awhile, contact dtv customer retention, and ASK for a dtv HDTivo, they have some left and if you agree to another year rather than cancle and go with Dish I believe they will work it out with you. Be sure to agree to pay the s&h (about $15)and ask for a free month or 2 of the HD channels. The HDTivo CAN be accessed (see my previous post for the link)Go read up on it, you will be amazed.

I hope I help ya

Unregistered guest
Have a Hughes Direct TV w/ TIVO and a Sony HX900 HD w/ DVD recorder. It seems as if the Sony does not
have the ability to recognize Direct TV.
I have made many recordings/ using the TIVO function- however can only do so in "real time" -
in other words to record a movie takes 2 hours.
This renders the 160gb Sony HARD DRIVE useless/
how can I get the Sony HD/ recorder to decode Direct TV so as to be able to use the HD and burn to DVD
in minutes v/s hours??

Anonymous

is it possible to transfer shows from a Phillips Directv DVR with Tivo to the new video ipod?

Username: Bcbass

I just got a timewarner HD digital video recorder and would like to burn a dvd using my lab top. Does anyone know how i would do this.
thanks
Robert

doss
Unregistered guest
I got a Sanyo DVD recorder for Christmas. Other than having a setting or 2 wrong, it records directly from my DirectTV Tivo via S-Video and RCA's for Audio.

My question is this, can you record multiple programs onto one DVD +R? I know you can't once you finalize, but can you add to a disc before it is finalized.

I am wanting to put 2-3 episodes of Miami Vice on each disc, but I can't figure out how to do that.

Renea
Unregistered guest
I just got a DVR and copied 3 dvd's from my direct tivo to the DVR. The dvd's work great on my DVR player, but won't play on any other DVD player I have in my house or my Dad's house. Has anyone else had this problem?

five angels
Unregistered guest
I have a DVD recorder and a DVR, along with a HDTV plasma tv, how can I output directly from the tv to the DVD recorder to record some dvd's??? please help, i did notice a coaxial out on my Dell TV, is that what i should do???

Anonymous

Renea,

I am not an expert, but I will bet you didn't finalize the disks.

MickeyPhelps
Unregistered guest
Hi all,I seem to have a liitle bit of a problem connecting my Direct Tv with Tivo HD to my new Dvd Recorder which is a panasonic. I have read the postings and tried to connect it but can't seem to get it to work. Can you explain exactly what Cables I should connect from and to my direct tv with tivo and my dvd recorder.
Thanks in advance

Unregistered guest
Hi.I Want to record home grown dvd's onto my PC so that I can edit out adverts etc then burn to DVD. The format seems to be unrecognised on the PC. I have tried using s-video & the red/white/yellow leads but to no avail.DVD recorder is Panasonic + PC = XP Media 2005
Any ideas?

Username: Tvaddict

Mickey, I've had the same problem for months. I have DirecTV HD TIVO and have been trying to record to DVD recorder or VHS and it hasn't worked. I've talked to everyone and tried everything with no success. They tell me at Circuit City that it can be done. I think that is false advertisement. I finally gave up.

Anonymous

I have read i dont know how many messages here and wonder, doesnt anyone have dish network? and why not. I have had both and feel dish network has a much better line up of channels on the basic pacage, no games. I"m looking for help connecting my dvr from dish network,to record dvr programes to a dvd recorder. I have sucessfuly burned dvd after loading from dvr to my computer,wich was a hp home media center pc, the dvd"s play back only on the computer.What is this finalizing the dvd? How do you do that? My HP pc fried,so I returned it for the same model and it wouldn"t work either. Circuit City couldn"t get it to work ,so I got credit for a Sony. I was pulling my hair out for a while.

Unregistered guest
How to record Dish Network programming to DVD recorder?

Unregistered guest
I have an RCA dvd/vhs recorder. Unfortunately before it went dead, all the dvd's I recorded were not finalized, and now will not play on any other device. Will another DVD recorder finalize these? or does it have to be the same brand, I hope not....

Anonymous

You can pull data from the directivo to your computer through the usb ports, provided you have hacked the dvr for network access and have installed one of several programs. There are tools that will help you accomplish this (The Zipper) or a whole forum dedicated to it (dealdatabase). I wouldn't try it if you're not comfortable with the idea of disassembling your dvr though.

Username: Georgefg

Victor, NY

Make sure the dvr is set to the 480i output and connect the composit / s-video out to the dvd input.

Unregistered guest
got a toshiba d-vr35sb but cannot link it up tp my toshiba tv connected it as per the manual but can,t get any signal to tv anyone got any ideas?

Unregistered guest
to make previous listing clearer i have purchased a toshiba d-vr35sb combined dvd and video recorder but cannot link it up to my toshiba tv. it will not even put a menu up on screen. i have followed the instructions as per the manual but can get nothing. my previous dvd player worked ok, am i doing something wrong or could it be a faulty unit? help.

Jake Host
Unregistered guest
Please help me. I was talking to someone who heard a rumor that you could connect an iPod Video to a Directv Hughes R10 DVR via the USB ports and cable. I'm not sure how to do it, but I have tried connecting up my iPod and selecting the "Save to VCR" function. This does not work, though. Please, if anyone knows how to do this, let me know.

Jake Host
Unregistered guest
(Cont. of previous message) Hello, again. Even if the actions I described before are possible, will it still save properly if when it is "Saving to VCR", I fast-forward all the way through; will it only be partially put on my iPod, will it be on my iPod but only play as if it was on fast-forward, or will it not save at all? Please let me know. I am in dire need of help.

Username: Ejhtal

I PRESENTLY HAVE A DVR WITH ONLY 30 HRS RECORDING TIME AND WANT TO UP GRADE TO A LARGER HARD DRIVE DVR. CAN I DO THIS AND HAVE MY RECORDED PROGRAMS TRANSFERED. PLEASE ADVISE. THANKS. - ED

Sean6574623832
Unregistered guest
Hi i just purchased a DVR and wanted to know how to record a directv channel(basic directv no tivo) because my screen reads no signal and i have everything already plugged in. Is there any cables im missing or what?

roryn
Unregistered guest
Sean...you need two cables connected from your dish. There's two tuners and both need a signal for you to watch a show while recording another.

Sean6574623832
Unregistered guest
what are the exact cables that i need? Are they to be purchased or what?

Chino
Unregistered guest
Sean
you need 2 coax cables with F-connectors coming from your satellite dish (multiple LNB) so that you can record on 2 channels at once. record one and watch the other.

Chino
Unregistered guest
did anyone ever figure out how to use the USB out on the back of a tivo. I have an external Hard drive, and if I can copy to it, then i could burn to DVD faster, (in theory) right?

Username: Trixtorpy

tivo is unix based is it not. if that is the case then a unix to windows program like ltools is needed to read the unix hd format with a windows pc?

Username: Richstev

Is there a way to get Directv DVR recorded program to my PC and then burn onto DVD with my PC's burner? Directv rep told me the USB ports are "inactive"

Username: Captfun

I recently got a Direct TV branded DVR and the install reps told me that the fucntionality on the Cat5 and USB was on the way. There are lots and lots of hacks out there for the TiVo units but I have not found any for these new ones. Does anybody have any info on them???

Username: Digitalnuke

Post Number: 5
There are no hacks out there for the new DirectV branded DVR. But Directv has signed another 3 year agreement with TIVO, so why are you trying to find NEW hacks for the NEW Directv branded DVR when you can still get and use the Directv-Tivo branded DVR, and use those "...lots and lots of hacks out there for the TIVO..." on the unit?
Most reviews have the Directv-Tivo far superior to the Dirctv branded DVR. And if you're a hacker, that's the only way to go for now.

Username: Xerby

Sun City West, AZ USA

Hi, Lots of good stuff here. I'm just interested in the USB port on the front of my Directv R15 receiver. any info on use, experience, etc. Thanks, xerby

Username: Dkdevin

DIRECTiVo owners: This should answer all those questions about USB/Ethernet, etc.

You *HAVE* to hack your DTivo to enable the USB ports. You can give your DTivo most of the same features as the Standalone Tivo. Using the hack, you can get a USB/Ethernet adapter or a USB wireless device to connect to your home network. Your Tivo now becomes a network device and you can browse the .tivo files and copy them to your local computer. You then can use DVD burning software to encode and burn the .tivo files to a DVD. I believe that this will preserve all the digital characteristics of the video. Hacking this is not for the faint of heart, it requires the removal of the Tivo HD and connecting it to another computer and using Linux commands to hack the drive. You can get all the information you need from hxxx://www.tivocommunity.com look for the forum that talks about DirectTV with Tivo. Another note, the DircTV DVRs are not currently hackable in this manner.

Good luck!

Username: Xerby

Sun City West, AZ USA

I've heard enough! From crystal radios to digital tv! Enough already! Think I'll read a book. Know any good tech manuals? Thanks, cheers and good luck, xerby

Username: Rebel1031

We have switched from DISH with their DVR to DirecTV with their DVR. Is there any way to move the recorded shows on the DISH receiver to the DirecTV receiver? Or any way to burn the shows to DVD with a separate DVD recorder?
Kim
mkharrison@wildblue.net

Username: Jedicen

Does anyone know which dvd copy protection add-on is better? GREX by DIMAX (DVD RED) or video magic/dvd? I have tivo and an LG RC199H dvd/vcr recorder. Cant copy anything from premium channels on dvd. Is there anything better out there? Will either of these two gadgets work?

Silver Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 147
I am not familiar with either product. However the copy protection being used in the 5C copy flag, you need to see if either product can defeat that protection scheme, I doubt they can.

xvxvxvx

Username: Sube731

I have a Comcast DVR and a DVD recorder. I would like to record from my cable box to DVD. When I hook everything up I get a picture but no sound. Everything seems to be connected properly, but I can't figure out what the problem is. The only thing I am guessing is that Comcast DVR's have some sort of blocker to prevent people from recording. Does anyone know if this is true or not. I can get the picture to record just fine but no sound. Please help.

Bronze Member
Username: 1movibuff

Post Number: 28
jake- try this link. It has the diagrams for connections on all Comcast equipment. I have my VCR connected to my DVR and I have no problem taping from the DVR.

http://comcast.com/diagrams/?LinkID=354

Bronze Member
Username: 1movibuff

Post Number: 29
jake - here's another link, I think #3 is the one you will one to look at.

http://sitesearch.comcast.net/?c=com&corp=&i=1&linkid=19&q=dvr&t1=User+Guides&te l=-1&u1=q&u2=t1&x=16&y=4

Username: Mikedicurc

i HAVE A ALL WRITE DVD RECORDER AND A PHILIPS-DVR CAN I RECORD FROM PHILIPS-DVR TO MY ALL WRITE MY PHILIPS-DVR IS TWO YEARS OLD

Username: Mangax

Clarksville, TN United States

Geeze people ... just buy a $40 TVcapture card. TaDa! Your computer can function just like your TV except it now has the ability to record as well.
Next, hook your TiVo/DVR directly to it (through sVideo, RCA or whatever).
Replay whatever you've recorded on the DVR and have your computer start recording.

Alternatively, you could bypass step 1 and simply have the computer record the program direct from satellite or cable instead of using the DVR first (I've archived over 200 titles from Turner Classic Movies this way), but I have yet to see a TVcapture card that is as simple to schedule as a DVR.

Now that the movie (or whatever) has been recorded with the TVcapture card (usually in Mpeg2 format) you can either burn it directly to DVD or use a free program like "Vidomi" to compress the video into DivX format. This is the method I've used to archive all those TCM movies onto 700mb files that I can burn to a normal CD. They look great and can play on any computer with the DivX codec installed or any DivX compatible DVD player (like the Philips DVP642-17 which runs about $60).

Don't expect me to post a tutorial on using Vidomi either ... there's plenty of resources on their homepage. There's also a wealth of info regarding MPEG trimming (to take out commercials) out there as well.

Remember: Google is your best friend.

Oh yeah. Here's an example of the CD labels I print for all those TCM discs I've made.
Just a little something I created in Photoshop CS. :-)

Note: The faint, circle outline represents the edge of the disc label after printing.

Upload
The above image has been reduced from 3000x3000 to 600x600 for upload purposes.

Username: Blazen

Vidalia, Ga

I'm so lost

Vidalia, Ga

Post Number: 3
I have read every message and just don't see the answer I'm looking for.

is there a SIMPLE way to connect the directv dvr to my laptop to burn my dvr's onto a dvd?

If the answer is NO... what kind of dvd recorder to I need to get? Any special cables?

If this posts twice, sorry :-)

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

Post Number: 568
You can do it with either PC or Mac
- First you need to capture using analog in to digital out
- You need program like Nero or Adobe Premiere for PC
- Or Final cut with DVD studio for Mac

Go to Computer City, Best buy, Circuit city
Find something like PYRO A/V Link it comes with its own software. You might find it cheaper on line for about $150. I like this because it has firewire works for both PC and Mac

Username: Mikehgrmi

Grand Rapids, Michigan USA

Forgive me if this question has been previously posted (I didn't see it); I am a new DISH Network subscriber with a dual DVR. Is it possible to transfer shows I've recorded to a WIN XP laptop. I see references to TiVos, but I'm not sure if that woulod work for me. I truly appreciate any and all input you may provide. THANK YOU! (Mike in Grand Rapids, Michigan)

Silver Member
Username: Tapeman

New York, NY

Post Number: 843
You can't transfer
At least not that I know of

But the same applies in post #568 above
If it can be done you need a video utility plus a driver that will read the Hard drive via USB or firewire.

But it is a good question

Vidalia, Ga

Post Number: 9
The simplest thing I have found is to buy a dvd recorder. the only thing is I don't know if you will be able to edit the commercials out... I haven't tried it yet. I burn my shows and movies I've recorded with the dvd recorder then make copies if I need to on my laptop. I have searched and searched with no simple answer as to how to just plug the dvr *directv or dish* into my computer...you'd think as far as we've come it would be so simple, right?

Found an easy way to copy dvds but it takes about a half hour or so. I didn't think that could be so simple.

It's not that it's technically impossible to transfer movies directly from a DVR, it's that they don't want you to have that capability. DVR video is encoded in a format that is specific for each manufacture and normally the hard drives are formated in a way that a computer system couldn't connect to it. It's the same reasoning behind copy protection for computer software. If they included the ability to transfer video from the DVR, they would be facing legal attacks similar to what YouTube is going through right now.

Your best bet is to invest in an external or internal TV capture card for your computer. After a show is recorded you can easily edit out the commercials with something as simple as the Microsoft Video Editor that comes with XP & Vista.
That's the simplest method that's currently available ... until some company finds a way to work around the copyright issues.

Username: Iamclueless

Simply put, is there a way to burn HBO/SHOWTIME movies I have on my DircTV to my DVD recorder? A message comes up stating it can't because of protection issues.

is this with the DVR or the DVD recorder?

please make it simple.

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 248
"is this with the DVR or the DVD recorder?

please make it simple."

Simple answer as requestewd: Neither

xvxvxvx

Username: Gadgts

Flower Mound, TX US

Scooby Doo ... I tried it last night and there appears to be MACROVISION type of encoding in the output from the new DirecTV DVR. I get the same msg as simply put. The DVD recorder recognises the output from the DVR as copyrighted material & will not let you record it.

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 281
Duane,

it is not Macrovision, that is used on VCR tapes. You are dealing with the copy never/once flag set by HBO and SHO in their broadcast signal.

xvxvxvx

Flower Mound, TX US

ScoobyDoo ... one problem with that ... I wasn't trying to HBO or Show time to DVD from the DVR. It was off the History Channel, Science Channel & TNT. Both a live feed and something recorded on the DVR. Just got a message saying I couldn't record it when DVD was tried. When VCR was tried the signal come across like the old Macrovision scramble. ... I moved the DVD recorder to my other satellite received and I can record fine on it. Sooooo I still believe there is some kind of encoding in the output og the DIRECTV DVR.

Thanks
D

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 282
Duane,

In that case I wish you had been more specific in your initial post. I thought you were referincing my reply to Mike above who specified HBO and Showtime.

The only possibilities left are:

1. You are connecting from a digital output from the receiver which will not allow you to record instead of an analog output (S-Video or RCA output only work).
2. You simply are not tuning to the correct input on your DVD recorder, many models have L1, L2, L3 as well as specific analog channel numbers.

xvxvxvx

Flower Mound, TX US

Scooby Doo ... Sorry no help ... CoAx out (Ch 3 selected) of DVR to CoAx in on DVDr (Ch3 selected). This works fine on a basic DIRECTV receiver out to DVDr. Same hookup from a DIRECTV DVR and the output from the DVR is scrambled (appears to be a macrovision type of scramble) from recorded or live broadcasts an multiple channels (I don't subscribe to movie channels). There is something encoding the output from the DVR.
Thanks D

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 283
My last effort yould be for you to try channel 4 instead of 3 as your DCD input. I am a bit confused about one other thing, when using a coxial output from your Dtv receiver most dvd recorders require using one of the "Kine" inputs allowing the output device to perform the tuner functions.

If this doesn't help you try posting in the SAT forum.

xvxvxvx

Flower Mound, TX US

Post Number: 4
ScoobyDoo ... Thanks I'll try that, side note ... all tuner functions are done by the DIRECTV receiver, the TV just functions as a monitor

D

Username: Rsvcs

From DirecTv HD DVR I want to save my HD movies and recorded shows to a dvd. I understand this can be done by using my laptop's dvd burner. Does anyone know how to connect this? Will it record in HD? We have comcast wireless internet set up.

Username: Kivi26

Indy, Indiana Usa

I have a motorola HD tv receiver/DVR that Comcast is renting me at $15/mo. I record cartoons for my son on the dvr, and then, connect my Akai dvd recorder via audio video cables[red/white/yello] and record the show on to dvd.

My dvr has audio/video out. which is fed into my recorders audio/video In.

Works like a charm for me.

Username: Shifty666

so if i have the motorola hd tv receiver/DVR and its hooked up component to my tv, then will this work without any issues?:

hook my component out from dvr to component IN on a philips dvdr75

then hook up component out from the philips to the TV componenet in?

and thats it right? is there any copy protection or anythign like that. i just want to get some shows out of my dvr and they are non HD recordings stored in there but im hooked up to a hdtv. i just wnat to make sure before i go and buy this philips and it not work being its +r/RW only. please email or pm me if you know for sure or post here im really anxious to get this going but dont want to run into any problems.

Bronze Member
Username: Ella

Post Number: 17
Philips DVDR-75 has no component input, it is component output and it will not help you. I also do not think your TV will provide component output. Shortly you have to use Grex Video Stabilizer : http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html connected this way:
http://www.xdimax.com/grex_faq/faq_howto.html#stbdvd

Upload

Username: Broncogene

Yes I'm back - LK Tried to help me copy the program "Full Color Football" That showtime showed. I have recorded all Five shows. on my direct tv dvr # 22. And tried to copy to my Panasonic DMR-HS2 recorder I can hear sound as if it recorded - I thought I Finalized the show - Tried to play But No picture JUSt the sound of the recording - How can I get the picture. Gene M.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
When you were recording did you see video?
Have you connected it according to the diagram I've showed?

Username: Broncogene

Post Number: 5
Ella - Yes I did see the show I was trying to copy (Video) on the TV. And it appeared to be copying on the DVD recorder. No I don't have the DIMAX - If you think I need this Device to get the picture on the recorder I will purchase one.

Gene M.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Hi,
You will need Dimax Grex later after you fix your connection.

Make sure you connect everything serially:
DVR--> DVD Recorder --> TV
andTV is connected only to DVD Recorder. This way you can check if video is passing by DVD Recorder.

Username: Dvrcomputer

Connect the satellite receiver with DirecTV HD DVR to the television set and make sure everything is working properly then Connect the DVD recorder to the television set according to the directions in your manual that came with the unit.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4269
If you're having copy protection problems the recorder will give a copy protected material message. If you're not getting the message then it's not CP.

BTW, there's a lot cheaper options for removing CP than a Grex. MCM Electronics sells a stabilizer for $20 that works fine and it's not shipped from out of the country.

Username: Adward

Hi here. I have a question. I connect DVD recorder to my TiVo, but every time I find there's no visual signal on my monitor. How can I do with it? Do I make something wrong while connecting cable? Or should I try some other ways like recording from DVR to VCR, or recording my screen with screen recorder? Please help!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4272
We can't tell you what's wrong without connection info.

Username: Jimironhand

Las Vegas, NV. U.S.A.

Sony makes a Multi-Function DVD Recorder VRD CM8 that will record and burn shows from your VCR,DVR,Camcorder and most popular sizes of memory cards onto a dvd disk and it's only 5.5"x6"x2". They run about $150. or somewhere in there. Google it !

Username: Jimironhand

Las Vegas, NV. U.S.A.

Oh, and the higher the number after the CM the more expensive they get. I think the highest is the VRD CM10 which is about $299.

Username: 11oneluv

I have a dilemma. I moved to an apartment in which i cannot have direct tv. I should say I was mislead to signing lease and then when they came to install I was told no sorry but you are commited to lease...anyways. I still have the direct tv at my moms and i have hd dvr. i want to be able to record from my direct tv dvr via any hardware whether its a DVD recorder, media card, portable memory and be able to play the shows on my tv at my apartment. your help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to try and maintain HD quality if possible.

Username: 11oneluv

I have a dilemma. I moved to an apartment in which i cannot have direct tv. I should say I was mislead to signing lease and then when they came to install I was told no sorry but you are commited to lease...anyways. I still have the direct tv at my moms and i have hd dvr. i want to be able to record from my direct tv dvr via any hardware whether its a DVD recorder, media card, portable memory and be able to play the shows on my tv at my apartment. your help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to try and maintain HD quality if possible.

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 639
one possible solution http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts