Best Buy/Insignia DVD players...also, progressive scan?

Jimmy D.L.
Unregistered guest
Does anybody know any information about the Best Buy brand Insignia's portable DVD players? Are they reliable? Are they a good investment? Anything would be helpful. Also, is it important for a portable DVD player to have progressive scan, or does that have much effect at all? Please help me, im new to this!

Unregistered guest
i live in colombia and i would like to buy 1000 Dvds players for my new store, can you send info about prices and shipment. Thank you

Anonymous

I purchased the new 9" Insigina dvd portable player and am very pleased with it they added more features to the picture preferences where you can not only adjust brightness and color,but also contrast and hue. Access time for different dvd's is very quick as well,quiet running as too,plays dvd+rw,+r,-r,-rw(video mode) cd,cd-rw,j-pegs plus more I must say a nice portable for under 300 bucks.

Unsatisfied
Unregistered guest
i just purchased an Insignia portable DVD player and have found it completely useless. I have a large DVD collection which I keep in very good condition.(no scratches) This DVD player is absolute junk it played the first dvd just fin and hasen't worked sense. The trouble shooting guide in the manual is of no help at all.

Bill in SF
Unregistered guest
I purchased a new model Insignia 7" DVD player a couple of days ago. Model IS-PD040922 $129.00. So far very happy. Plays MP3's, DVD-R DVD+R CD-R all with no problems. Very light, small and thin when closed. Decent volume and sound compared to other brands. Speakers face forward rather than straight up as in some machines.

Puhleased
Unregistered guest
i got my new 9" portable DVD player insignia brand for an early graduation present and the first one had a pixel that went out but i took it back on my 2 year protection plan and traded it in hassle free for one that has worked like a charm ever since

Unregistered guest
I JUST BOUGHT INSIGNIA 7" PD040922 GREAT BUY IT HAS FEATURES ON IT THAT THE HIGHER PRICED DVD'S PLAYERS DO NOT HAVE. VERY HAPPY WITH IT

Username: Mj2005

Lytton, British colu... Canada

Post Number: 1
hi i have purchased a i-p720 dvd player and when i play a movie it has horizontal lines going across the screen is there a way to remove these lines

Anonymous

no

yug
Unregistered guest
hi i just bought a 9" portable dvd player from insginia and I was wondering if anyone knew how many hours it takes to charge? thanks a bunch.

Tisha
Unregistered guest
I am thinking of purchasing the insignia 7" with the travel kit. Does anyone know if it's a decent buy? It's 144.98 for the package.

hppefully satisfied ??
Unregistered guest
i just bought one on bestbuy.com, going to pick it up today...hopefully i'll be pleased =)

hpppefully satisfied ??
Unregistered guest
yes very good deal tisha

Username: Ebarraca

Chicago, Il Usa

my portable dvd player has these horizontal lines that appeared.
I want to look into getting it replaced-i cant find anything about a warranty or who to contact regarding getting it fixed or replaced. could anyone help out? i dont have a receipt b/c i won it. i got alot of use out of it though, and i only had it since december, so im thinking it could get replaced somehow. Just dont know what to do. thanks.

50ar
Unregistered guest
Do these machines open .pdf files?

owned1
Unregistered guest
do you really think a DVD player is going to open a .pdf file? think before you ask a dumb common sense question

Unregistered guest
TRISHHHHHHaaaaaa,, Don't go for that. insignia 7" with the travel kit. It doesn't play VCDs. Well and good for DVD and MP3 but I am sure you can not enjoy the VCDs from this player! CAUTION!!

Anonymous

The insignia DOES play VCD files. I just tried it with an Alias MPG that I had. Worked perfectly.

Holguinero
Unregistered guest
I just bought an Insignia Portable 5.3" LCD Monitor and DVD player. I have put it through the mill. It plays my DVD-R's just fine. Also plays my music DVD's. And, it plays my VCD 2.0 cd's. This is a good little machine. Oh! It has a memory, which most portable DVD's do not have. I can shut her down and it will play from the last point. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Price $129.99 (CDN) or $104 (USD)

Unregistered guest
I just got 7" insignia portable dvd player as a gift from my son from his first salary and I have tried it and it works really great, it is the best present I received from my son.

Smartdrive
Unregistered guest
I need unlock my insignia dvd. Help me please.

Simonswu
Unregistered guest
Can Insignia Portable 7" play DVD+R?

It's not mentioned in the product features.

Corey Stone
Unregistered guest
I bought one and it quit working after about a month. I didn't buy the extended warranty, so I appear to be SOL. I tried bringing it back to best buy and they wouldn't do anything. If I had to do it again, I'd buy a "real" brand of DVD player (sony, toshiba, etc)

Username: Andres

BogotaColombia

Does anyone know if exist an unblock multizone code for an Insignia portable dvd player Ref. PD040922 ? Thanks

Sara D
Unregistered guest
I recently purchased an Insignia 9" portable DVD player. It played a total of five DVDs before it died. On the 6th DVD, it suddenly stopped. After that, no DVD would load. I exchanged it for an identical unit and decided to play it safe and purchase a two-year protection plan at the same time. Good thing I did! The replacement unit played exactly one DVD before going berserk, displaying strange angular images, lines, and bizarre colors. I haven't taken it back yet, but at this point have visions of spending the next two years making weekly exchange visits to Best Buy.

Besides the quality control issues, the 9" player has inferior video quality compared to the 10" player. The 9" player seems to have very large pixel units, which results in text appearing irregular and hard to read, and images sometimes have a paradoxically over-sharp quality. The 10" looks much more natural, if a little softer.

HOWEVER... if you want this brand and the speaker audio is important to you, go with the 9". It has louder speaker audio than most of the players out there (the reason I chose it).

Just be prepared for problems and do purchase extended protection.

Paulajclk
Unregistered guest
Does any one know where I can buy an airplane adaptor for the insignia dvd player? The 2.5 hour battery will not last my trip to Europe!

Paulajclk
Unregistered guest
Does any one know where I can buy an airplane adaptor for the insignia dvd player? The 2.5 hour battery will not last my trip to Europe!

monkey105
Unregistered guest
Hey, i just bought a 7" insignia dvd player and its actually really good, the volume is reasonable and i can hook it up to my stereo so i can have it louder and the color and appearence is great, mine cost about 220 it was expensive but it is really great to have in a car or at home.

TimW
Unregistered guest
I bought the insignia 9" DVD player and it stopped working after 2 months. The DVD would not load. I tried to get it fixed at Best Buy as the standard 90 day warrenty instructed me to however Best Buy refused to help me. They told me to call Insignia.

I called Insignia and they told me to go to Best Buy. After calling insignia and visiting the Best Buy store a couple of times, Insignia has requested a gift card from Best Buy. I can not get a straight answer as to how long it will take to get the gift card and I am 1 day from the end of my 90 day warrenty.

I will never buy another Insignia product again knowing the type of warrenty that I have to deal with. Seems like no one wants to own the warrenty. Thanks Best Buy for another great product!

Unregistered guest
I bought an Insignia 7" portable DVD player last Boxing Day, and I haven't had any notable problems with it at all. It plays DVD+/-/RW no problem, and is great for trips. I've watched over 100 DVD's in it, and it still works like brand new. But I did buy an extended warranty, just in case ;)

Unregistered guest
I purchased the 7" widescreen at Best Buy for $120. I have thrown about 20 different disks at it with all of the file types that Insignia claims will work. So far, so good -- but I definitely do not like the built in speakers. You have to have headphones to enjoy this size player.

p didio
Unregistered guest
This is the hack to make the PD040922 play DVDs from all regions.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php?select=Insignia+IS-PD04092

cowlick
Unregistered guest
Insignia is bringing out a new 10" model the IS-pdvd10 which has a 360 degree turn display and I tried a dvd-rw disc in the vr mode and it read it.

Unregistered guest
Can any one suggest where I can purchase an extra external battery for the Insignia PDCA 102702 - 5" screen? 2.5 hours are enough. Does anyone know the web address for Insignia?

Please e-mail: holguinero@gmail.com

Thanks . . .H

cowlick
Unregistered guest
Follow up on the new 10" INSIGNIA IS-PDVD10.Has a great picture and can play a dvd-rw disc in the vr mode which means that you don't have to finalize the disc,last years model could not do this,so newer firmware has been incorporated in this player.The picture looks rich and pleasing and type is cleaner eaiser to read,and the display has an 180 degree turn to it,has a/v input and output and can read all recordable dvd media I'm very happy with this player,and was under 300 dallors not bad for a 10" SCREEN go to bestbuys and check it out for yourself if your considering a larger portable dvd player I recommend it.

Username: Culzean

I just purchased a 9" Insignia IS-PD101351. The DVD picture looks great, but when we loaded a CD with jpg's the pictures looked awful. We tried all three different screen settings (PS, LB and Wide) but in each case the pictures look warped and stretched out, and the resolution is terrible.

Has anyone else viewed pictures, and if so, how do they look?

Thanks!

BB Employee
Unregistered guest
Thought I'd put my 2 cents in. I have sold $ repaired Insignia portable DVD players. I cannot remember who manufactures them at the current time, but I know Sylvania makes the Insignia line of TVs. Insignia is Best Buys house brand, hence the cheap price. As far as how long they will last, they seem to be hit and miss. If they are going to die on you they are going to do it quick. Either way I would recommend the 2 year replacement plan, it's not just a gimic & the employees are non commission. Working both sales side and repair side of these products I reccomend them. If you have a unit that is defective and do not have the replacement plan. They have a 1 year parts and labor warranty. If you cannot find the contact number, call 1 888 BestBuy and they will provide it to you. Another thing, as far as swivel screen models, IE polaroid, I would discourage purchasing them. Swivel units tend to go out more often than not because the swivel usually breaks the contacts quickly. Other than that. Don't be scared to buy the cheap models. If you are, buy a samsung. But remember, these things are all stamped out by robots on assembly lines, and quality testing really means that they pull one unit out of 20 off the line and make sure they don't have a bad batch going out. I'm done.

SouthNdixie
Unregistered guest
Hello All, This brand Insignia IS-PD040922 and the Polaroid PV-0700 are junk, plain and simple, what is wrong with these items, simply the laser drive assembly will need to be replaced sooner or later due to it is cheaply made and will go bad in no time at all, if you do decide to purchase one get a warranty for as long as possible because you don't want to take this to the repair center and have to pay out of your pocket, it is better to purchase another one, much cheaper. My advice to all those who desire a portable dvd player with flip screen is to buy a Sony, they are a little pricey but will hold up much longer due to quality control is much higher, but also get a warranty as they have issues also but are your best bet. I have two Polaroids that will play DVD's but freeze up after 5-8 min playing, both do this and skip on CD's also, so I use them as a monitor only now, very aggravating, all these ROC electronics are cheaply made and very little quality control so throw your mony with quality not bargain price, you will come out ahead in the long run

Happyhour1973
Unregistered guest
I agonized for months over what brand dvd player to purchase (as I seemingly do with all major electronics purchases). However, I finally had to pull the trigger because I was going on a travel binge for work and wanted to have a dvd player available. I had narrowed down my decision to the Insignia 10", Go Video 8.5", and the new Philips 10". In the end I really wanted a 10" screen (which tossed Go Video from the list) and became scared with Insignia's reported reliability issues. Therefore I went with Philips, which has received stellar user reviews from the internet. The Philips was pricey ($350) compared to Insignia, but I cannot complain. The player is well worth the money spent if you have it. The picture is 10" of crystal clear viewing (it's progressive scan), sound crisp for a portable (and really fantastic with a good quality noise cancelling headphones. I use $70 Sony's), and I have been able to squeeze 3.5 hours out of the machine even though the specs state 2.5. My only experience with the Insignia 10" was in the store and the picture seemed rather nice, which was the only feature I could really experience since it was a floor model. However, for a little more piece of mind I went with more of a name brand and couldn't be more pleased and impressed.

Rintintin
Unregistered guest
I was getting blinking screens after 2 months of use, but went into setup and did a reset, as well as switched to region 0 using directions below, and now the picture is a good as new.
Anyone else discover that a "reset" in the setup menu did the trick?

To change region codes:
Power on, Press open on the DVD player.
On the remote control press the SETUP button,
Press the right key on the remote 3 times,
The preference page will show up, press 9653,
Use the up and down key to select the Region,
Select 0 for all regions.

To do a reset:
The Preference page will show up,
Press the down arrow five time to highlight
"default", hit right arrow to highlight "reset"
Press enter to reset. Turn off/on machine, etc.

Brit buyer
Unregistered guest
I bought a 7" insignia DVD player from Best Buy whilst on holiday from the UK, it was cheap, so if it went wrong it would be easy to bin it, instead of trying to send it back, I have had no problems with it, and it seems fairly well made, the instructions state that it will only play NTSC, but it will play PAL (european format) films as well, it will not support multi region, but I use Clone DVD to back up all my films, in case the originals get nicked whilst I'm out and about, this removes the region code, I would buy insignia again, to be honest all players use the same parts, its the quality control that differs.

Effinnovice
Unregistered guest
I have one of these and had the problem with it freezing on the loading screen. I didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if this is already posted. I fixed this problem by moving the lens back to the center. The lens should be in the center near the spindle. The lens get stuck away from the spindle. Very VERY very VeRy gently push the lens housing towards the spindle (do not touch the lens itself). THen put in a DVD or CD and it should corect itself. Hope this works for you all that are stuck on the loading screen.

Bartleeam
Unregistered guest
I bought the IS-PD040922 and for some reason the remote doesn't work anymore? Any idea where I can get a new one?

Anonymous

I bought an Insidgna 7 inch IS-PD040922 player in March 05. I used it maybe three times and then the screen went white. Of course, this was after the warranty was up. Don't buy this without an extended warrantee as you will be stuck with junk. Anyone know if this can be repaired? If not, I'm happy to give it away for parts versus putting it in the landfill....

Unregistered guest
Do you know of a dvd player that plays homemade dvds using dvr-ms (recorded tv using media center)? Probably not Insignia.
Perhaps you know one that plays mpeg4? If it does, then please recommend a dvd burning program that can fit a 3 hour movie on one dvd in mpeg4 format.

DVR-MS can record a 3 1/2 hour movie in 4 gigs, at fair quality, and Record Now Deluxe will put the whole thing on 1 dvd. Trouble is, what player can play it when you're away from the computer? Power DVD will play it, but that is on my computer. Using mpeg4 format, Nero Express and Power DVD wont reduce the quality and size enough to fit a 3+ hour movie on 1 dvd.

What do you guys do when you want to take your homemade collection on the road?

Unregistered guest
Hello,

I've got the 040921 (20" TV/DVD combo) and I'm trying to work out how to reset the region code so it'll play all regions. I've tried following the key combination posted by Rintintin above but it's not going to the preferences page when I press the right arrow three times.

Any advice on how I might be able to set it for all regions? I have lots of British DVDs sitting here that I really want to watch!

Many thanks,

Chris

Anonymous

Does the isignia 7" have a plug for the house? I see it has a car adapter but just wondering. Best buy is offering the dvd player and portable bag for 119.00 good deal, but not sure.

KB71
Unregistered guest
Just wondering whats the difference between Insignia IS-PD040922[available at stores] and IS-PD04092[can only buy online]. I bought PD040922 from the store yesterday and looking online found this deal for PD04092 [free DVD kit]. Wondering if its the same product ?

JTK
Unregistered guest
Run away, far away from the 7in lcd dvd Insignia model.

I purchased one and threw the receipt away by accident, 30 minutes into playing a movie it went white. Screwed is what I was. Ate it and purchased another one. 2 dvd movies later, same thing. What a hunk of crap

Stevieadd
Unregistered guest
I have just bought a used Insignia IS-PD04092 and it works fine, except that the battery lasts just 1.5 hours. Does anyone know where I can get a cheap replacement battery?

Unregistered in NC
Unregistered guest
So, in summary, if you are planning to buy an Insignia personal DVD player from Best Buy, it sounds like the common suggestion is "buy a two-year extended warranty". Best Buy's website is down right now, so please forgive the questions: (a) does the warranty allow replacement (e.g., you are on a long drive and it breaks)? and (b) what is the price? thanks!

triuna
Unregistered guest
Oh man, seems like tonnes of bad reviews for the PD040922 model. I just got it from Best Buy for 119.99 (before a 50 bucks mail rebate)and have yet to open it up! I actually turned down the offer to get the extended warranty.

Stevieadd
Unregistered guest
Request: Would someone like to donate or sell to me, the battery for their now defunct player? I live in Alberta.

Username: Amar67

Woodstock, GA USA

All, I have purchased the Insignia 7" 16:9 Portable DVD Player with Dual TFT-LCD Monitors Model: IS-PDDVD yesterday. After reading the reviews I'm seriously considering returning it. Also, one big issue for me is to be able to connect a PS2 unit to both screens in the car for the kids. Has anyone here any experience with this setup? The big issues I see is that the dvd player itself does not have inputs for the game unit. The screens do, but that would require me to power each screen seperately with optional power supplies I'd have to purchase. also, the monitors come with ports for an optional tv tuner or game system. Does anyone know if it's possible to use a PS2 game system via these ports and what you have to do to get the proper connectors?

If I can get the game system to work, I might consider getting the 2 year warranty for $30 and keep it.

Thanks,

Amar

Anonymous

The Insignia 7" DVD player we bought did not last 3 - weeks. When you put a disk in it all it does is show a loading message. I took the player back to the store and they confirmed it was bad.
It was purchased from Best-Buy when it was on sale as a birthday present for my daughter. Best-Buy would not take it back because we held it for over 30 days before giving it to her. They told me they would not refund or exchange because we exceeded the 30 day window. I told them the story and produced my daughters birth certificate. They showed now compassion. It seem like they are bent on selling extended warranty plans because they continued to emphasize the fact I did not buy one. My recommendation is that Best-Buy is actually the worst place to buy anything. Especially off brand products like this one made by Insignia.

littlefeather
Unregistered guest
I just got a Insignia 10.2 inch portable DVD player IS-Pdvd10 , does anybody know what adapter I'm supposed to get for the plane? it came with the car adapter , but now i need the plane adapter ,
thanks

New DVD Player Owner
Unregistered guest
I just bought the 10.2 inch portable DVD player as well (IS-PDVD10). I went into Best Buy planning getting the Toshiba 7 inch because I saw a good number of positive reviews on Amazon. However, I couldn't pass up the bigger screen. I figured that I'd come home & check what people were saying & if it was all bad I was going to return it. Looks like it is a mixed bag but ok if you buy the warranty (which I did). Does anyone know if the 'Dynex Universal External Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery for Portable DVD Players' is compatible for the IS-PDVD10? Does anyone have one of these & how long can you run a player on it & how long does it take to recharge? Thanks.

Username: Chuck_in_to

Toronto, Ontario Canada

I was looking for a portable DVD player and Insignia 7" was one of the options. I live in Toronto and since reading the comments on here, it seems that it sort of a good buy. If anyone is in Toronto, you get pick up the 7" for $120.

Unregistered guest
I bought Insignia 7" DVD player on Black Friday after Thanksgiving, for NET $70 at Best Buy. The sound is better on speakers than rival more expensive units, the LCD is clear and nice range of colors, and the unit is smallest I've seen. The battery provides 3 hrs of playback, and the whole package, with charger, is very small. HOWEVER, A BROWN-PURPLE HAZE APPEARS ON THE SCREEN AND LIKE A LIQUID FLOATS FROM TOP 1/3RD TO THE TOP OF THE SCREEN,EVERY 10 SECONDS. Anyone else get this haze on screen? I ALSO CAN NOT ACCESS PREFERENCES IN THE SETUP MENU, AND THE BUTTONS ON CONSOLE ARE SO CHEAP AND SOMETIMES GET STUCK. THE REMOTE IS HANDY BUT IT BETTER BE IN HAND OR YOU LOSE ALL CONTROL OF THIS UNIT. I am returning this unit and trying another one, but this may be a sign of cheap LCD products. I worry about all the complaints and trying to deal with Insignia directly - no one picks up phone at customer service. FOR $70 I LOVED THIS MACHINE, BUT CANT STAND LOOKING AT THAT BROWN HAZE. NOT ON ALL DVDS, ONLY SOME STUDIO-PRODUCED DVDS (NOT ON HOME DVDS) - WHAT COULD BE REASON IN THAT CASE? I had hoped the Mintek at Costco would be OK because Costco return policy is excellent, but the Mintek screen and sound is the worst. please reply about the haze and any other issues. thanks.

Anonymous

I have the Insignia 10", a gift from my family last April. I haven't played more than 12 movies on it. Around the 5th or 6th movie, the screen would freeze. I had to reboot the player and select the scene in order to get back to where it froze up. Yesterday it froze again and now it won't load the movie. From reading the entries on this site, it appears that this unit is a piece of $hit with no customer support. Best Buy is selling garbage. I recommend that you stay away from this brand.

indywalker
Unregistered guest
We bought 7" Insignia in July and it worked great until now. Tonight we tried a DVD and it sat on the loading screen and eventually said "No Disc". I came looking for a fix and tried the one about moving the little thing the laser is on and it worked. It seems I have to do this every time now, but it works anyway. What a quality product.

the last don
Unregistered guest
I have an Insignia 7" portable player. I am not sure how long to recharge the battery, and I don't want to screw up the memory cell in the battery.

Can someone tell me the exact specs for re-charging the battery?

Thanks*

ps- mine works great, I only use it during a power outage when there is one.

the last don
Unregistered guest
oh my model number is I-PD720

Username: Justasking

I am a very desperate mom needing HELP! I got my daughter an Insignia I-PD720 for Christmas and I have a problem playing my backup movie collection. They play fine on all other dvd players, they are on both dvd+r and dvd-r format. Is there anyone out there that can solve this problem for me? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. She has always been the one to have bad luck. PLEASE HELP ME MAKE HER X-MAS.

Unregistered guest
After owning a Isignia 7inch IS-PD040922 for just over 3 months with little use, it made a funny squeeling sound and the picture went all funny with rectangles all over it. This was after turning it on while plugged into the car adapter. Now the screen flashes on and off. I phoned Isignia and the call centre thought it may be the motor and I should return it to Future Shop where I bought it. I was a little upset as these units shouldn't do this after this amount a time.
Thanks to RinTinTin's post above repeated here this fixed my problem. I phoned back Isignia and told them to put it on their website. I told them I would check back in a few days to make sure as this is a comon problem and this would save a few people some headaches. I will not buy another Insigina product again and I will try my best to avoid Future Shop and Best Buy.

Here is the fix for a flashing screen:
To do a reset:
Turn on the unit and open the DVD door,
The Preference page will show up,
Press the down arrow five time to highlight
"default", hit right arrow to highlight "reset"
Press enter to reset. Turn off/on machine, etc.

Morgan from canada
Unregistered guest
DO NOT BUY ANY INSIGNIA OR NOVA dvd player, both of mine have broken within 4 months. I personally know 3 others this has happend to. these are both made by Best Buy/Future shop (same company, diff name)..also..NEVER BUY AND EXTENDED WARRENTY from either of those stores, if you buy a 3 year contract, and the item breaks in 2 months...yes they exchange it...but the 3 year coverage ends there....that means you just paid for 3 years worth of nothing, and they've got your money, it's highway robbery. Don't beleave me, its right on their web pages.

Morgan from canada
Unregistered guest
DO NOT BUY ANY INSIGNIA OR NOVA dvd player, both of mine have broken within 4 months. I personally know 3 others this has happend to. these are both made by Best Buy/Future shop (same company, diff name)..also..NEVER BUY AND EXTENDED WARRENTY from either of those stores, if you buy a 3 year contract, and the item breaks in 2 months...yes they exchange it...but the 3 year coverage ends there....that means you just paid for 3 years worth of nothing, and they've got your money, it's highway robbery. Don't beleave me, its right on their web pages.

Rose M. Smith
Unregistered guest
I just bought 4 of the Insignia 7" DVD players for Christmas gifts for the grandchildren. Now, after reading all the bad reviews abut Insignia, I am wondering if I shouldn't just take them back to Best Buy for a refund and then purchase another brand of portable DVD players. So what brands are worthy of purchase and not too costly? Awaiting reply, Rose in PA

Unregistered guest
I bought the Model 1731 7" widescreen Insignia. I like the machine but I am confused about the widescreen feature. There are 2 choices for display - full or normal. Full distorts the image (makes people look fatter) and normal cuts off the top and bottom and leaves about a inch of black space on the sides. What good is having a 7" screen? Even if a DVD I play is widescreen mode if I playback in full screen it gets distorted. I am surprised to see no one has mentioned this in these posts, or is there something I am missing from the poorly translated manual?

hjorgan67
Unregistered guest
IS-PD7BL - I just purchased this model insignia dvd player yesterday (12/26/05). Got it home, charged it up for 5 hours or so (manual states 4.5 hours to charge fully), popped a dvd in (finding nemo - brand new) - nothing. I mean, nothing, no screen, no sound no motion from the dvd, nothing. I'm heading back to best buy for a return - I'm hoping to have better luck with the next one. BTW, I read the manual including troubleshooting steps... no help. On the extended warranty...I didn't purchase one and personally wouldn't recommend one on a purchase of this cost ($149). Put the product through it's paces within the manufacturer's warranty period - most defective models will give out within that period. Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Inaquandry
Unregistered guest
To Happyhour1973:

I'm in the market for a portable DVD player and have been vacillating between the Philips PET1000 and the Insignia PDVD10. Thanks to your input, I'm definitely going to go with the former.

Anonymous

I am trying to switch region codes on my new Insignia IS-PDVD10. Does anyone know how to do this?

Anonymous

I just bought an Insignia 9"
Are you supposed to hear static when the movie plays?

LeBelge
Unregistered guest
Code for Insignia IS-PDVD10 - this works!!!

1. Power on
2. Open disc tray

With remote control:
3. Press Setup
4. Select Preferences
5. Enter 253135
6. Press Left Arrow
7. Press Down Arrow
(you should be seeing "REGION CODE 1" now)

8. Press 10/0 to set REGION CODE to 0
9. Press Setup (and it's done!)

It also reportedly works for the Mintek MDP-1020/MDP-1060 (but I haven't verified this)

Unregistered guest
Hai
I purchased insignia is-pd040922 today..Few of my friends threatened that musteck is good. Can any one let me know if this is really worth. If not i can get anothere brand.So far it is working well

sachin sa

Unregistered guest
I have a PD04092 that says 'no disc' even tho a disc is in. Any ideas why?
If anyone has an available remote for this please e-mail.
Thanks

Unregistered guest
I purchased a 7" Insignia DVD last Christmas, and
my kids have lost the power cord for it. We love this portable DVD player. Does anyone know where I could get another power supply for it?
Thanks,
Brenda
bun062@earthlink.net

interested 3rd party
Unregistered guest
A general question to all owners of the INSIGNIA 7" portable DVD player model IS-PD040922, who have had the unit for at least 3 months:

How has it held up?!! :-)

Elizabeth M.
Unregistered guest
How 'bout instead of purchasing an extended warranty, we start boycotting stores which sell this kind of junk. This is nonsense. This stuff (and the packaging) is filling our garbage dumps. We don't buy cars this way and they are a lot more expensive. I work hard for my money and I am sure you do too. Big Box stores are making a lot of money on high volume sales - somebody is getting rich on this capitalistic approach to marketing junk. Are we being taken for suckers?Ever notice that almost everything you buy now is made in China? The bottom line seems, when you see Made in China on an item, then it is buyer be ware. Let's insist on quality, not cheap junk with a warranty.

Unregistered guest
Amen, Elizabeth M. Appears the "big box" retail stores are getting worse at quality......I think because the impetus is on monthly sales volume, which doesn't subtract returns/replacements. Most retail companies are judged by their peers on same store sales increases, so the CEOs want their management to increase sales, i.e., get cheaper "junk" than the competition so we can outsell them........to hell with whether the product will last or work properly......just get the sale. CEO's then get their big bonuses and the consumer gets screwed.
Anyway, thanks to all for the comments on the Insignia brand.......looks like there is enough discontent to warrant staying away from this brand. Will pursue Philips, Polaroid, Sony, etc. for a portable DVD.

Anonymous

Bought an Insignia 9" for a Chritsmas gift for GF. It played 1.5 movies before the screen showed vertical grey bars and then went blank. I powered it off and back on again. It then worked fine for about 2 minutes and crashed again. Took it and my recipt to WorstBuy and exchanged it for another. After reading this thread I will return the repacement UNOPENED. It just is NOT worth the B.S.
ON E-bay 50% of the 9" insigia's for sale are BROKEN!!!! I can take a hint.
Bill

Anonymous

I just bought an insignia 7" a month or so ago and so far so good. It plays cds mpgs and dvds (NTSC only)

Does anyone know how to change the codes so I can watch PAL DVDs on it from Europe?

If so, PLEASE, let me know asap!

Thanks!

Tony VB
Unregistered guest
The 5" Portable Insignia DVD Player is the best little device that anyone has ever bought me. I plays vitually everything with no hiccups. I would highly recommend the brand

Anonymous

Someone help me!!!!
I need unblock my insignia is-pd101351

Username: Voyager421

Don't buy the Best Buy Insignia brand DVD/VCR combo recorder. It's easy to set up and record, unfortunately it does not play on most DVD players, I have a brand new Sony DVD player and several RCA and playstation. All did not play, however when I switch it to the DVD RW disc, it plays on the Sony, but not the RCA or playstation. Returning it and buying a Samsung or a brand I know.

Unregistered guest
I have a Insignia "IS-PD7BL", I wanted to know if anyone has the information to unlock the region code?? I've tried to unlock it but no luck so far.
I had previously bought another Insignia dvd player "model IS-HTIB101071" and it broke after watching about 7 dvd's. I recently exchanged it at bestbuy for this upgraded model but I am wary of this brand now. I just wanted to let anyone know, incase you are thinking about buying this brand, they do sometimes break.MY advice is if you can afford it try and get a more reliable brand. -thanks

LADIBUG64
Unregistered guest
I purchased an Insignia from Best Buy on December 8 and am returning it this afternoon. Unfortunately I am 3 days too late to receive a refund. I am going to raise hell when I get there however. This stop recording about a week ago to DVD and only to VHS. I called thier "Customer Service Line" somewhere in Asia and got a completely useless individual who knew nothing about anything. DON'T BUT THIS BRAND.

LADIBUG64
Unregistered guest
An update to previously left message. I went to Best Buy asked to speak to a manager and explained the situation to him and I received a full refund. I then went to a reputable Media store which sells only TV'a and audio equipment. They informed me that the decision is still out on the plus and minus and no care is being taken to develop these machines until the decision has been finalized. They also informed me that insignia is probably the worst brand you can buy.

Username: Jimboat11

New york, Ny

bought the 40922 yesterday. so far so good. my battery life is about 2hours 15mins. sales gal said battery would last over 4hrs, manual states
up to 3 hours. also, noticed in the battery charging instruction that power switch must be in the off position. so, you can not use the player while it is charging? will damage result if switch is left in the on position? after reading the bad reviews here will probably return unit.

Username: Jimboat11

New york, Ny

Post Number: 2
charging update - the battery will not charge unless the power switch is in the the off position. if you turn the switch to the on position, charging stops and the unit turns on.

Username: Marcosmigli

my dvd /monitor is INSIGNIA is-pd7bl
IS POSSIBLE CODE FREE?
REGION 1 AND 4?
ITS POSSIBLE?
TKS FOR YOUR HELP

MARCOS FROM BRAZIL
audioevideo@ig.com.br

Unregistered guest
I have a insignia 7" is-pd040922 model and has worked fine up till now. I tried lightening the screen in the settings and on the side but no go. the screen plays sound but has no screen. does anyone know a trick or two? or am i sol!

Unregistered guest
I'm interested in buying a remote control for the Insignia 7" portable IS-PD040922 model. If you have one that you're willing to sell, contact me at: perezm1025@yahoo.com

mikeinvaughan
Unregistered guest
Can the Insignia 7" IS-PDO40922 be made to play DVD+ discs? The guy at the store said no, the box says yes, and I tried a couple of my own recorded "DVD+" discs and it says "no disc"

Thanks

baseball
Unregistered guest
I got the Insignia 9'' and i think the best picture setting are and this is in order 5,-5,0,9 and the other brightness ajust to your preferences

Anonymous

Not worth the money. Stick to brand names and ultimately,stay away from this particular brand & model for now & Best Buy return/ policy servies(there's alot of string attached). Chances are 99% you will experince problem with the product the first time you use it to the 3 months period. You're lucky if you made it over the 3 months period (at 10 CDs avage per month). Even Wal-mart do better in this case with their returns and their cheap Portable DVD players might acturally be worth buying then to get the crap from BestBuy and Insignia.

Username: Gellisson

I also have a IS PD7BL and am looking for the unlock codes. - How does one go about finding these? Will the manufacturer provide them??? It is a Samsung/LG machine with Insignia badge.

Username: Jerry_s

Purchased a 9" Insignia DVD play at Christmas 2005. Used approximately 4 times. Unit froze; picture became still, disc stopped turning; and it's dead in the water. Unfortunately did not buy extended warranty (rarely do). Shot myself in my own foot. Player is a piece of junk. Do not recommend.

Username: Jorgedlm

Monterrey, Nuevo leon Mexico

does anybody has the instructions for making the 7"insignia portable dvd multi-region?? please send it to me jorgedlm@gmail.com

I got the unlock codes, thanks guys

Username: Attackrott

Well we just bought the Insignia IS-PDVD10. This is our first portable DVD player so we will see how it goes. FYI to people on portable devices, I would recommend buying the extended warranty. It is worth the 20 or 30 bucks and might save you a big headache. I do not work for bad buy or crap city but I have worked in IT for years. Portable electronics take a lot of abuse get hauled about, banged and bumped hear and there. Very different than a home TV,DVD, stereo, PC, server, etc that just sits there for years. This DVD might be crap but I spent 30 for 2years of piece of mind. It worked at home on a quick little test to see how it works. I got it for 200+ tax. I could have bought another brand at Sams for 240+ tax so it should last for 2 years or I will get another one most likely a new model within that time. Most all our electronics are made in China and I have seen over the years the quality go down on ALL brands. Anyway my 2cents, I will write a real review after I have had it for awhile

Username: Tommyalexis

I just got my Insignia IS-PDVD10 last weekend. It works really well, except when it get to the end of a tv scene (where there would have been a commerical when series was originally aired), the drive really seems to make a lot of noise and then just as the scene is ending, the picture freezes for a few seconds. Is this usual or do I have a defective unit?

Username: Sam_in_tx

I bought the Insignia NS 8PDVD player with the 8" screen a few days ago. It seems to be doing fine, no problems, beautiful picture, plenty of audio. After reading all of the comments, I noticed the picture problems are primarily the 9" and 10" screen models. Hopefully the 8" one will not have a problem however, I am going back to best-buy to purchase the extended warranty. I paid $109 for the player on sale, so it's not a huge investment and it's not going to receive a lot of use. Time will tell. Sam in Texas

Username: Mick_ammo

I have an insignia 7" dvd player, purchased at Best Buy in March- it no longer works properly- movies freeze up after a few minutes- AND they only have a 90 day warranty, which was a suprise as that tells me they have little confidence in the product.

Username: Mick_ammo

- looks like i'm (one of )the latest victims to have bought an Insignia 7" DVD from BB, in March and now it freezes up a few minutes into the movie-
With the "90 day" warranty, i'm SOL.You know the manufacturer is up to no good. Good luck with one if you get it!!

Username: Munch

With all the dead players out there, anyone have an extra remote for the 9" model, as we have lost ours. thanks jsmoench@hotmail.com

Username: Tita

Elizabeth, Nj Usa

I WAS GIVEN A DVD INSIGNIA P040922, JUNK.. I FEEL BAD FOR MY FAMILY THAT BOUGHT ME THIS GIFT. AFTER PLAYING 15 DVDS.. IT FREEZES. SINCE WARRANTIES IS OVER, BEST BUY IS NOT RESPONSIBLE ANYMORE. NOBODY WILL REPAIR IT. JUNK.

Username: Rhenderson

I bought the 7" Insignia DVD for Christmas and it broke down in August. In the repair shop, they told me the laser was bad. They contacted both Insignia and Best Buy, and they were told that no parts are available. Sheesh!

Username: Indygirl1438

Does anyone have a battery pack they'd like to sell for a 9" model IS-PD101351? My 5 yr old has this player, and after using 5 times, the pack will not hold a charge. Thanks.

Username: Artchick

Seminole, OK United States

Does the term, "You get what you pay for" make sense? lol

Don't buy Insignia!

Username: Evboobear

I just bought my Boyfriend the Insignia 10" about a week ago for Christmas for $179..I'm not smart about brands and now I'm scared. I didn't buy the extended warranty either.
Should I take it back or get the extended warranty instead?

Username: Evboobear

Wait..I think its the 10.2" I bought w/ Swivel Screen

Post Number: 3
I've called to insignia's costumer service and I ask them about the way I can make it multiregion Becouse I live in Mexico and all the DVD here are region 4, so they told me that there's no way to change it.I have the IS-PD7BL

Username: Snoproblem

Girlfriend just got Insignia DVD player NS-1UCDVD. Does anyone have the code and procedure to make it multiregional? If someone can help me out, I can get mucho points in my new relationship..

Username: Davede

Bought the Insignia 9" portable DVD player almost a year ago at Best Buy. It worked ok for approximately 6 months (which sadly sounds better than most here). Since then, I get a message of "Open" on the screen and it will not play any videos.

We should come together and all file a class action lawsuit against Best Buy and Insignia for peddling this crap. Who's with me?

Username: Sevanlevan

Found Insignia 7 in. DVD PDO40922 in trash dumpster and have been using it everyday for weeks with no problems except the battery dosnt last very long.I dont have the remote for it though. Does anyone know where I can get one or what universal remote will work?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us