Green Mountain Europa's

Unregistered guest
Has anyone taken my advice and listened to or purchased these speakers? I simply cannot lay enough praise on them. Truly remarkable speaker. I find myself shaking my head in dis-belief day after day. If you have not heard them, seek out a dealer. They are that good.

Bronze Member
Username: Cornelius

Post Number: 14
I tried emailing them about dealers in NYC, but haven't heard back. Do you know of any?

FRAN THE MAN
Unregistered guest
any suggested gear to run with those speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Stone

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 58
I considered them a little over a year a ago but
A. I wanted a H/T setup and there was no center channel or reasonably priced rears that I was aware of at the time.
B. Nothing against the GMA's but I just dislike the look of all bookshelf speakers.
After hearing them, I have thought about getting the gorgeous Meadowlark Swifts, which I am not sure are the same as the GMA's, but do have first order crossover designs.

Unregistered guest
Cornilius, Roy at GMA has informed me though he has been completely swamped building speakers, his staff has replied or is in the process of doing so to all existing e-mail. He told me he has a dealer in Conneticut on the NY border close to you.
Fran, associated equipment would include a good source and good cables as these speakers are one that will reveal differences in cables (especially interconects). They are tube friendly and work with as little as 3 watts tube power. Solid state, i'd recommend a min of 75 good watts, more is better. I have 200, which is probably overkill at this point. One other thing. These speakers have a very simple first order x-over so they don't seem to care whats driving them. I've heard them powered by panasonic xr-45 home theater recievers as well as high dollar amps like Edge and Rowland. They sound fine either way. The main thing is the phase/time relationship with the music these speakers maintain. Look at it this way: source is always the most important part of any hi-fi system. Taken one step further, with the exception of synth's, all music you listen to is recorded thru a microphone. That mic can only hear one dimension and thats distance. Distance is time. Time is delay. If the speaker cannot keep the original time/phase relationship of the recording, you'll find yourself not being able to connect with that musical performance, hence all the buzz on MFSL, DCC, TELARC, GRP etc recordings. It's the everyday cd's we buy in the music stores that most speakers muck up. Again, phase is the culprit. These speakers, because they don't smear the phase of the tiny signals as they pass thru the crossover, make all your recordings much more listenable. Even ones you thought were virtually unlistenable like old Beatles or Beach Boys, etc. I truly believe phase issues, as time goes on, will be more and more connected with poor quality speaker/amp combinations.
At any rate, i'm tired of certian people in this forum nagging me for my every post, just because what i'm telling people isn't what they hear from others or many dealers. I ran into it when I was selling audio and bottom line is 20 plus years of audio and countless 1000's of situations tell me i'm right. I'm no longer posting here, but thought since you gentlemen did ask, i'd answer your questions first.
Stone, I can appreciate your view on standmounts, and Meadowlark is a fine choice. I do believe GMA uses better drivers, and applies physics to the design of their product that no other speaker manufacturer does today. (None that I know of anyway) The cabinets are quieter because they are marble vs mdf and I believe you would notice better bass and more detailed imaging. No knock on the Meadowlarks, as they are a very fine speaker. Your on the right track.
Good listening guys. Aloha.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Hey Maui
I'll look a little more into them. As a fan of that design, I'd like to hear how they sound. At work I use a pair of Sequerra Met IV and can listen to those all day with no complaints. Also one of the best systems I ever heard was a Rogue/Meadowlark set up a few years ago. It's funny how with a good, solid design, you really don't have to spend millions of dollars for enjoyable sound. At the audioholcs.com site, they really heavily on measurements to discern quality. Every once and a while I bring up the step response test, and nobody replies - posts just come to a halt! Maybe over time, more people will figure it out.

FRAN THE MAN
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the response maui.

I hear you on the good source. but if we didn't value certain speakers more
than others we wouldn't be hear discussing certain ones.

Cornelius that's funny you mention rogue/meadowlark.
I recently picked up a rogue eighty-eight and was loooking at the
meadowlark Kestrel.
I was also looking at the vandy 2ci because i do tend to abuse my speakers
and figured that vandy's might take it better.
plus i found a pair locally for a really good price.

any thoughts on spica with the rogue?

Bronze Member
Username: Billybalou

Post Number: 16
Maui,
I received a pair of the Europa speakers recently and I'm waiting for the other pair to arrive. Roy is extremely busy (this is good) and hopefully my final pair will ship before my family from the East coast arrives in CA next week.
I am using the europa's with a NAD 773 and 2 rocket ufw-10 subwoofers.
I'm still in the break-in period with the speakers and will comment on them in the next few weeks.

JIMMY THE GREAK!
Unregistered guest
there don't seem to be many dealers for these speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Hey Fran, are the Kestrels that you saw the 2nd version or the "classic?" What I heard was the original (not even the Hot Rod). I've heard ALL kinds of systems - in the pro world and consumer - and that little Rogue/Meadowlark combo was right up there with some six figure rigs that I've heard!

I'm sure the Vandys will sound great too, just try to go to a store that sets them up properly. Oh yeah, when I heard the Kestrels the store owner was playing music REALLY loudly! The Kestrels seemed to be enjoying the experience too. My ears were ringing - and I'm a drummer.

FRAN THE MAN
Unregistered guest
Cornelius the Kestrels i'm talking about are the originals.
what rogue was paired with them?

would you think the vandy's could take abuse better then the kestrels?
and in your oppinion you really do think the kestrels can handle it?

the main reason why i am asking is i've owned about 30 pairs of
speakers and blown up all but 1 pair of jbl's because of playing
them to loud!

I don't play as loud or as long as i use to but don't want the feeling
of being afraid to hurt the speaker. you know what i mean?

also i can't find much info on the original kestrel any idea on
there sens. or power handling?

good talking to you. i recently found out another
big time contributor to
this board kegger has recentlty gotten into tubes and has a rogue 88 also.
seems like a well built amp that i stumbled onto.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
It was so long ago, I really don't remember which Rogue it was. I showd up un-announced to an appt-only salon (I didn't know) so it all happened kind of quickly. The owner ended up being cool, thus the high level and fun listening experience - he was into Meadowlark too.

I heard the new Kestrels recently and I remember liking the older "classic" ones better. I only listened briefly, so I should try again. If you are looking for info, just go to meadowlarkaudio.com click on speaker product page and look down for the classic series speakers.

As far as your habits, I'd just call or email Pat over at Meadowlark and just tell him your deal. He's very cool. You can probably do the same at Vandersteen. My personal preference, which may differ leans towards Meadlowlark. I had the rare opportunity to A/B the two in a nearby showroom with a friend of mine and we both agreed.

I'm pretty into my solid state McIntosh amp right now, but tubes is in the future (either Manley or Rogue)... Whatever you settle on, will absolutely blow away most systems at any price.

FRAN THE MAN
Unregistered guest
Cornelius this i like:
"I heard the new Kestrels recently and I remember liking the older "classic" ones better"

because used is cheaper. also i was on there site
and didn't notice the classic thing. i'll have to look again.

this "You can probably do the same at Vandersteen. My personal preference, which may differ leans towards Meadlowlark. I had the rare opportunity to A/B the two in a nearby showroom with a friend of mine and we both agreed. "
hummm point dooly noted.

yah i'm realy enjoying the tube bliss.

see yu.

Unregistered guest
Tubes are cool.......unless you live on a tropical island 2000 miles from anywhere and the temp never goes below 75 degrees. Thats my problem here. Have to stay S/S.
Most folks that have heard GMA and Meadowlark prefer the GMA's. Your mileage may vary. Billy Balou.....looking forward to reading it. They do take some time to really break in. Thought mine were, but the past two weeks they have completely opened up. 1000 hours is that point....all I can say is "wow" They just become magic at 1000 hours. Most folks jaw's drop and say nothing at all. My break in experience went something like this: Out of the box: bass shy, midrange and highs were pretty good....you knew you were listening to something special. 2nd day: Bass improved substantially. Smoother throughout the frequency range. 500 hours: Bass much nicer. Much smoother....more seductive. Liquid midrange just keeps getting better. Top end shimmers. Imaging improves. 500 to 1000 hours: Better with every listen. I know, not possible. CD's that previously were somewhat harsh or hard sounding now seem warm, inviting. Sounded better louder...able to play at 100+ db with no fatigue. 1000 hours: No words to describe. Gimme a few weeks. Amazing little speaker for $880.00

Anonymous

I also love Meadowlark's. The exterior design is fine furniture quality. Honestly, they may sound good and all but looking at the GMA line, the bigger the speaker model the more ugly they get. Showed the GMA home page to the wife and got a don't you dare think about stare. That's what so good about this hobby, especially regarding speakers. There are so many to choose from that there is a style and sound for everyone.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
That's why I've been going against principle lately and digging the Ohm Microwalshes. The way that my listening/living room is set up right now, the Ohms fit in perfectly. My fiance thought they were "cute." With the excepion of the lights on my Mac amp, I don't like looking at the stuff either.

If I want the perfect, time coherent thing, I get that all day at work. Someday when I move to a bigger home... In the meantime I'd like to try the Europas as a possibility at work.

Bronze Member

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 61
Yeah I am in the same boat. Loving the small footprint and clean lines of the Ohm's. The center channel is a little odd looking so I keep it hidden but it sounds incredible. Added the Ohm SAT-3 rears and I am happy with the sound of my H/T set up. I have had the cherry finish for about 6 months now and it keeps getting deeper and richer in color. Owner John Strohbeen told me they should continue to deepen for the next few years. He sent me a four year old veener sample and eventually they will look really nice. Though the upgrade itch will probably kick in before then. I kinda have to agree with the look of the GMA line for a social space.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Stone, how mature of you to admit to a possible upgrade in the future! For me a new purchase is accompanied by "that's it, I'll never need anything new again! I've found the best sound ever!"

The Ohms are pretty amazing. I was half-expecting a gimmicky sound, but that's just not the case. They're just so harmless looking. People come in and say "what are those gonna do?" Then just sit there and smile.

Bronze Member

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 64
Cornelius, I hear you, and don't get me wrong, if I was told these were going to have to be the last speakers I'd ever own I would be a happy camper. I am digging them with some live Bruce Hornsby right now. I am just the kind of guy that likes to try new things. Not sure how much power you are feeding them. While not as bad as the old F models, they still love power at a 6ohm rating. Good to hear there are others enjoying these unique designed speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
The more I use these speakers, the more I'm appreciating what the can do. I listened to a live recording of a gig that I did the other day. Just a stereo mic into a mini-disc recorder. I A/B'd to another pair of speakers, and the Ohm's sounded a lot more like the real event. They're not pinpoint accurate, but I'm not so into slicing and dicing the mix so much that you're left with pieces of the music.

I'm driving them with a 100 watt Amp. Seems to be enough, but they do like a little powah!

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New york Usa

Post Number: 384
Hi Stone & Cornelius,

It's nice to hear you are enjoying you Ohm speakers. I like my Micro Talls, and plan on keeping them as part of my HT setup for a long time. If you guys get a chance check out the Spendor S3/5. IMHO it's the most accurate speaker I've ever heard. Music through these is amazing. I ordered a pair and will be coming next week. I will be driving them with the Mcintosh MA-6100, Cornelius and I talked about last month. Will give a review again in a couple of weeks. Enjoy the music.

Cheers!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Right on Rick, nice combo! I've worked in studios that were equiped with Spendors and always liked them. Accurate is a good description.

Unregistered guest
Ok, I want to hear someone do a a/b/c comparison with Ohm Microtalls, Spendor 3/5's, and some Europas...*laughing* I must say, as of now, am most compelled myself to try the Europas, (although all the above mentioned would drop my jaws). Old Maui sure is convincing...

Maui,

Had you the climate to use tube gear, what would you suggest? Personally, I'm going to dabble in some tube gear and some integrateds. Am considering Jolida's hybrid 1015rc, vintage luxman integrated, a creek A85, etc.

Anyone want to suggest a good integrated (tube or ss) that is reasonably priced (used of course - can be had for less than $1000 - the more value (cheaper) the better), am always grateful for the input.

Meantime thanks for all the pearls guys...you're all saving me years and $$$.

Silver Member
Username: Rick_b

New york Usa

Post Number: 386
MarcC,

Seek out an older MacIntosh integrated if at all possible. I recently purchased one from Audiogon for less than half of your stated budget. It sounds well.................like a Mac. I will post a real review as soon as I can pull myself away from the music.

PS It's paired with a pair of S3/5's

Cheers!

Unregistered guest
Thanks Rick!

(I know I should start a new thread, but since I have everybody's attention...)

Happy listening!

Bronze Member

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 68
Maui and his attitude has thankfully left the building. I have to admit, even though I didnt have a beef with the guy personally, I still think he was a mole. If you really want his opinion Marc C, you can find him fighting with people over on audioasylum.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Marc C,

I also recommend the used Mac amps. I have the model that came out after Rick's and I really like it. Warm and Detailed. Just a cool piece of gear to keep forever.

n

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 483
Maui,

Hope you keep your expertise coming for a long time to come - you add the Europian view to this exciting hobby - the source first.

In N. America, speaker first view seems more prevalent, but I love to hear what you have to say on the subject.

I am beginning to think everything matters now - the source, an amp, speakers, room treatment, power conditioning, and all has to synergize right for the type of music you are listening to.

As you know, seems like people here want quick easy answeres to their mid-fi ambitions, and what better person than someone like who have been in business for a few decades?

Do share your expertise with us...

They will be much appreciated.

FRAN THE MAN
Unregistered guest
while I agree maui has some knowlage he can also be rather obnoxious also
in how he talks to people and the "I am right attitude"

sorry maui but I have seen some people being rubbed the wrong way.

Marc C if you go over to audiogon.com and look at the used tube gear you
might find some really nice bargains.

Marc C
Unregistered guest
thanks guys. while maui could have been a mole, i've seen more than one person go nuts over the europas. try punching into the search on the audiogon discussion forum....eesh.

fran,

thanks and will do. routinely check Audiogon. am considering the jolida, if i can get my mitts on a decent mcinstosh without busting the bank i will.

granted not being an "audiophile" but a music lover who's never had a stellar system, most of this stuff is just going to blow my socks off. just trying to get pointed in the best direction possible while i scrape up the dollars. with the help of all the great advice i've received on this forum, i'll get a jaw-dropper system for the same someone would pay for crap at Circuit City - which has been my original goal all along.

here's to doing one's homework, used gear, and all folks like yourselves who share the wisdom with sorry cranker idiots like myself. some purchases, a few swaps, and i'll be on me way...

Bronze Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 79
The thing is that it is really nice to hear about new things to check out or try and also that someone thinks they are really great. However, there is just way too much out there for everyone to try everything and also, pushing one speaker as the best is also suspect. There is too much permutations of environment and subjective pleasure for there to be objective truth. On Maui's side, I have seen him recommend other things. I would prefer to chime in only if I know anything that can be helpful or to give another perspective.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us