MP3 Jukebox for Home Stereo System

Daniel OConnor
All of the MP# jukeboxes seem to be portable ones. I am looking for a system with a CD player that would allow me to burn my 100+ CDs directly into a MP3 jukebox. Any suggestions?

Anonymous
The latest round of MP3 players seem to have matured a bit. I'm curious what people think of them or the ones that they have? I'm thinking of buying one and the names that stand out are:

Apple ipod
Rio Karma
Creative Nomad Zen Xtra
iRiver ihp-120
Dell DJ
archos gimi20

I seem to be leaning towards the Karma. has some neat capabilities and the UI is supposed to be good.

the ihp-120 seems interesting, has a lot of bells and whistles but pricey.

dell DJ looks to do its job and at a good price.

the ipod is the standard most get compared to. Apple asks for a premium for it.

Any thoughts on these?

FDelker
Unregistered guest
Daniel,
Did you ever get any information on this subject?????????? I've been searching as well, and only found the TDK9000, which has some drawbacks.

Bronze Member
Username: Srkstan

Kazakhstan

Post Number: 24
Check my thread in here about "the best receiver for MP3s?" There, I outlined how I made a home-cooked MP3 jukebox from an old PC (circa 1998). It just required adding a hard drive, a good sound card, and a TV out video card (so I could use the TV instead of a separate monitor). Oh, I also bought a cheap cordless mouse and keyboard set. I think it will produce much better sound than hooking up an ipod or something like that.

Bronze Member
Username: Feot

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 11
here you go: http://www.elanhomesystems.com/products/via/viadj.asp

&

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=MB-S1&class=Digital%20Music&p=i

I am an authorized reseller for the above products if you need pricing.

fdelker
Unregistered guest
Shelby, thanks for the information, although the viadj is way more than I'm looking to spend, and the Onkyo doesn't beat the TDK9000, as it doesn't include a "burner" to rip mixes. I'm looking for a unit with more capacity than 20GB, without taking out a loan, or making something myself. Are any other manufactures coming out with similar units soon?? Sony, Panasonic, etc??

Again, thanks for your time!
Frank

EldritchFyre
Unregistered guest
SonicBlue (RIO) has a Karma 40GB that isn't too bad on price. I have the 20GB unit, and it's fantastic... about the best "bang for your buck" you'll find in a portable. The drawback is that it does not have the CDR/W capability you seem to be looking for, but in all other respects, it's the way to go.

Bronze Member
Username: Sungamer

New York, NY USA

Post Number: 11
I think a computer turned into a mediaserver is still the best solution than any of the others in terms of expandability. Go with the CHEAPEST CPU/mobo combo you can find if you don't want to turn an old machine into a server. It'll come with enough ATA/USB2 ports to keep you expanding for quite a while. You can also get more soundcards for multiple room functionality, etc.

Username: Cdm369

San Antonio, TX USA

Post Number: 1
I am looking for a receiver that will store mp3 files (10-20 gb is fine). It seems every mp3 device is designed for portable use, therefore made to suport headphone use only and not the audio output needed to make a home stereo system. I want something that will serve as a home stereo system and surround sound system for tv. I don't need a cdr/w (trying to eliminate media). All I want is a simple 400-500 watt receiver that has am/fm tuner and storage for mp3 files. Is there anything out there?? If you know, please post.

Username: Beerbelly918

Post Number: 2
How about a boombox type player.With a hard-drive on board and a way to rip your cd's onto it.Maybe evan away to record the radio show your listening to.I don't see why they can make these personal players so small with up to 40GB but refuse to make a portable boombox you could take camping to work or the beach and share your music with your friends or co-workers without bringing the cd's with you.

ChrisK
Unregistered guest
Russound carries a media server (SMS3) which can store 160GB of video and audio files and can supply up to 3 separate sources of music for use in multiple zones. But the price is pretty steep, around $2000.00

skibumsun
Unregistered guest
can you hook up a creative mp3 player to a amp and play music through system and not distroy player thank you chuck

Username: Ramblin_man

Post Number: 4
My company has just introduced a high-capacity digital music player at much lower cost than Russound. See it at: http://www.digitaltechniques.com
Thanks,
Richard

Jason C
Unregistered guest
Richard,
Does this unit have the ability to output more than one source? As in different channels for different rooms? My company owns a Spa and I would like to offer 3-4 different music choices in each treatment room. Currently I use Satellite radio with 4 separate receivers.

Thanks

Post Number: 6
Jason,
Only one output is provided at this time. It is functionally similar to a CD player in this regard. So you would need one for each receiver.
Hope this helps.
Richard

jason C
Unregistered guest
Richard,
I believe I will be ordering one of these to test. Will this allow me to set the music to play in a continuous loop?
Thanks
Jason

Post Number: 7
Jason,
No, the Blackbird can play arbitrarily long playlists, but it will stop playing at the end of it.
Regards,
Richard

Post Number: 9
Feature Update:
Jason and others...
In response to requests, we have added an AutoPlay feature to the Blackbird Digital Music Player. It plays selections continuously. It can pick randomly from a genre, artist, or entire library. It can also loop a playlist continuously.
Thank you for your valuable feedback. The Blackbird is a flexible platform, much of it implemented in the PHP scripting language. That is how we were able to add this feature so quickly. All units shipping as of today have this feature. Current users can update. See http://www.digitaltechniques.com (web site does not yet reflect this new feature).
Regards,
Richard

hoyaduke
Unregistered guest
If you already have all your MP3s loaded onto a PC, you can you a Prismiq player to stream to your stereo. Works over wired or wireless.

http://www.prismiq.com

Jason C
Unregistered guest
Richard,
Thanks for the update. I did order one unit last week. I'll test it out when I receive it and post back up with any comments.

guy22222
Unregistered guest
You have now an interesting new product: MS 330 from Pontis (inventing MP3 player)

http://www.pontis.de/site_e/produkte/ms_330_e.htm

Guy

Anonymous

I've been looking for the same configuration. A large capacity hard drive 200-300 GB) player with a CD tray and internal CD to MP3 ripper with the ability to copy the MP3's once they are ripped unto a blank CD for use in the car, as a gift to a friend, etc.. No luck as of yet. Most are like the Blackbird where it's wireless and you first have to convert the CD to MP3's on your computer and then wirelessly transfer them to the unit which is connected to your home stereo system. NOT WHAT I"M LOOKING TO DO.

Linda K.
Unregistered guest
In addition to CDs, I also have many cassette tapes and 33-rpm albums (and 45 records, too), that I'd like to consolidate all in one digital music library. What equipment would I need to convert the songs on the tapes and records to MP3 files? I'd also like to hire someone in the New York City area to just do the whole home music library for me, who would know what equipment to recommend, etc. Any advice on where/how to find such a person?

vagabondo
Unregistered guest
Hi,

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful.

I'm looking for something even more simple that seems to be hard to find.

A 40-200 GB MP3 reciever/player to hook up to home stereo. NO ripper needed. No cd player needed. No wireless needed.

Maybe hook up through USB to add files. Menu on the tv to scroll through folders (albums).

And something less than $2,000. Any suggestions?

Unregistered guest
Hello Everyone,

As Vagabondo mentioned, I'm looking for a similar MP3 Home Stereo system where no cd player is needed.

If anyone knows of a supplier or manufacturer that sells this type of MP3 Home Stereo system, please advise.

Happy Holidays!!!

Anonymous

here are two other options I've found...

http://www.ssiamerica.com/products/neo45/specification.shtml

This option seems to be portable - from home component system to your car dashboard! Had trouble with the order tab so I couldn't determine the price.

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/2001/requestmm.html

From their site..."Selling for $799, the Audio Request is a rack sized box measuring 17" x 14" x 4". Made of heavy gauge steel, the body is ready for professional use if needed. The unit contains a 17.3GB hard drive"..."it can convert CD tracks to MP3 files directly in the box without having to turn to a PC." More in most peoples price range, yet kinda small drive size.

Keep this post going - I'm dyin' to see how it turns out.

Anonymous

Oh, forgot that the SSI America unit has from 20gb-120gb of memory. Who can tell me the drawbacks of this unit??
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us